PDA

View Full Version : Is Eric Winston's Radio Show Gonna Stink, Now That Matt Jackson's Gone?

DexmanC
11-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Now that Matt Jackson is no longer a part of 610, how do they keep the
Eric Winston Show from sucking? The banter between those two was
what made the show work. Winston would show up almost an hour
before he was supposed to, and the war of knowledge between he
and Jackson was radio gold.

What do you guys think about that situation?

D-Frank
11-27-2009, 09:12 PM
i didnt know he left, wher did he go? it will not be easy to replace him

50boys
11-27-2009, 09:20 PM
Didn't know this either, so I googled it...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/6739903.html

False Start
11-27-2009, 09:20 PM
Not much of a Matt Jackson fan, so it might get better for me. :)

ChampionTexan
11-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Now that Matt Jackson is no longer a part of 610, how do they keep the
Eric Winston Show from sucking? The banter between those two was
what made the show work. Winston would show up almost an hour
before he was supposed to, and the war of knowledge between he
and Jackson was radio gold.

What do you guys think about that situation?

Matt Jackson wages a war on knowledge, not a war of knowledge.

DexmanC
11-27-2009, 10:39 PM
Matt Jackson wages a war on knowledge, not a war of knowledge.

I'll give ya that, but his ability to play Winston's "bratty lil bro" is what makes
the show go. I could only imagine the snorefest between Winston and
Rich Lord.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
11-27-2009, 10:53 PM
People still listen to 610?

Malloy
11-28-2009, 03:32 AM
People still listen to 610?

Sometimes I listen to the hunting program in the morning.

I do not hunt... and I'm a vegetarian...

wtf am I doing ? :)

nero THE zero
11-28-2009, 09:14 AM
What a coup for 790.

Matt and Adam rival John and Lance for best radio duo in Houston.

Wow. This totally changes the landscape of the radio and 610 is now the trash the 790 once was

nunusguy
11-28-2009, 09:20 AM
Does jim Rome have an equity interest in 610, because I know it was a station responsible for his start nationally back in the day ? And what day of the week and time does Winston come on 610 ?

D-Frank
11-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Does jim Rome have an equity interest in 610, because I know it was a station responsible for his start nationally back in the day ? And what day of the week and time does Winston come on 610 ?

i think tuesdays at 4. correct me if im wrong though

m5kwatts
11-28-2009, 11:57 AM
What a coup for 790.

Wow. This totally changes the landscape of the radio and 610 is now the trash the 790 once was

Deluca is still with 790 so its still pretty trashy. That guy is such an east-coast turd sandwich.

DexmanC
11-28-2009, 12:04 PM
The past few weeks, you can hear Lesbian Craig with Deluca. Seems
like the best sportstalkers in town are headed to 790, since 610 fired its
other program director, Buffalo Bill. This "Gavin Spittle" clown is pure corporate.

Aztequila
12-01-2009, 08:42 PM
I'm not huge fan of Jackson, but he made Rich Lord bearable. I've never listened to 790, as i stream in California. Is it any good?

nero THE zero
12-01-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm not huge fan of Jackson, but he made Rich Lord bearable. I've never listened to 790, as i stream in California. Is it any good?

It just got a lot better.

Matt and Adam will rival John and Lance for best morning show (which is saying a lot). They're easily my favorite Houston hosts behind John and Lance and it's a shame 610 could never get them paired back up after Matt left the night show.

Charlie Pallilo is pretty good at the drive home. He's a no non-sense all sports kind of guy, which can be good or bad depending on your preferences. I like it, personally. I also like his sports IQ, which is easily the best in the city.

790 has nothing else besides that, but those are two damn good shows

MannyFresh
12-01-2009, 09:45 PM
It just got a lot better.

Matt and Adam will rival John and Lance for best morning show (which is saying a lot). They're easily my favorite Houston hosts behind John and Lance and it's a shame 610 could never get them paired back up after Matt left the night show.

Charlie Pallilo is pretty good at the drive home. He's a no non-sense all sports kind of guy, which can be good or bad depending on your preferences. I like it, personally. I also like his sports IQ, which is easily the best in the city.

790 has nothing else besides that, but those are two damn good shows

I'm tired of Lance's not so great impressions...but they're entertaining...I'll give to Lance though, he seems to stay tight with his homies from Richmond hiring them on and giving them gigs as well.

HoustonFrog
12-01-2009, 10:07 PM
What a coup for 790.

I agree that 610 is flundering but Matt Jackson is a clown and I really don't see them doing a ton of damage. Wexler knows his stuff but I think Jackson is unbearable. I'll stick to 1560. I didn't listen to 610 anyways except Rome.

texanfan2002114
12-01-2009, 10:29 PM
I never could stand Matt Jackson so any show without him will always be better!

Yankee_In_TX
12-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Didn't someone start a thread saying how much BETTER the Eric Winston show was yesterday, lol?

badboy
12-02-2009, 11:35 AM
The radio shows depend on what type of listener you are and what you want to spend air time on. I want sport talk with a bit of levity thrown in. I do not want impersonations, movie evals or 30 days of steroids or who was Tiger Woods sleeping with.

No More 8-8's
12-02-2009, 11:52 AM
You know i was a big fan of 1560, and those guys are really great. Probably the best in the business in our city. But, i have a hard time with reception, and recently its been alot of commercials. They try to make the commercials funny, but it still gets old hearing about marc klein lol.

So ive gone to 610 because lopez and mark get alot of really good interviews especially texan related.

I really love local sports talk in the midday. but after lopez left for the morning, all im left with the heaping mess of a show of hoffman and nuno. i mean does hoffman even follow sports in this decade.

Second Honeymoon
12-02-2009, 11:58 AM
give me 1560 anyday over all the rest.

they actually care and they keep the money and jobs in Houston unlike the East Coast corporate piles of dung.

they also don't have to tow the company lines regarding our local sports teams and the shows are more talent generated rather than user generated. user generated radio in houston is kinda tough.

BigBull17
12-02-2009, 12:51 PM
give me 1560 anyday over all the rest.

they actually care and they keep the money and jobs in Houston unlike the East Coast corporate piles of dung.

they also don't have to tow the company lines regarding our local sports teams and the shows are more talent generated rather than user generated. user generated radio in houston is kinda tough.

I like 1560 most of the time, but sometimes it gets to frat boyish. Too many jokes and not enough sports at times. I like it better than the others for the most part.

HoustonFrog
12-02-2009, 12:56 PM
I like 1560 most of the time, but sometimes it gets to frat boyish. Too many jokes and not enough sports at times. I like it better than the others for the most part.

I hear this sometimes but I hear alot of sports evaluation too. I actually used to hear more useless b.s. from Matt and Rich then from the others and I actually disliked John and Lance at 610. For pure sports knowledge and talk I think Palillo is the man but his style and swarmy attitude got to me when he was at 610 with Rich. Unbearable, those two were. I also think Marc tries to be more frat boy like but his humor is so corny and dumb that it just falls flat and people just ignore him. I think he is useless when it comes to anything outside of football and even then he is such a homer it is hard to listen to.

BigBull17
12-02-2009, 01:03 PM
I hear this sometimes but I hear alot of sports evaluation too. I actually used to hear more useless b.s. from Matt and Rich then from the others and I actually disliked John and Lance at 610. For pure sports knowledge and talk I think Palillo is the man but his style and swarmy attitude got to me when he was at 610 with Rich. Unbearable, those two were. I also think Marc tries to be more frat boy like but his humor is so corny and dumb that it just falls flat and people just ignore him. I think he is useless when it comes to anything outside of football and even then he is such a homer it is hard to listen to.

I really like John Harris and his partner in the afternoon, when they focus a little more and don't get too off subject. Liked Wexler and Danny Vera at 610, but thats because they were good about returning texts during their show. more intreractive. I only listen to Matt and Rich for Winston and Kubiak. Thats it.

HoustonFrog
12-02-2009, 01:15 PM
I really like John Harris and his partner in the afternoon, when they focus a little more and don't get too off subject. Liked Wexler and Danny Vera at 610, but thats because they were good about returning texts during their show. more intreractive. I only listen to Matt and Rich for Winston and Kubiak. Thats it.

Agree. Sean the Cabinasian. He has a great blog at the Houston Press too. I've written him multiple times and he always returns emails with a message, etc. Not just "Thanks." Really cool and nice guy. Enjoy their show. I like Wexler, just didn't in the past with Jackson.

nero THE zero
12-02-2009, 01:26 PM

I think John and Lance have a good balance of humor and know when to cut the crap and get back to sports.

Sean and John haven't seemed to master that concept and the issue is worsened by the fact that John Harris is really, really not funny. It seems like Harris tries too hard to fit the "theme" of the station rather than stick to talking sports, which is what he's good at.

False Start
12-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Good lord, I'm trying to listen to 790 right now, and all they are talking about is VY? WTF? I thought this was Houston.... :thinking:

50boys
12-02-2009, 02:34 PM
I switch between 610 and 1560. Like said by others, 610 seems to talk more sports, but I really don't care for it when there trying to be funny. 610 does hands down have better guests and interviews.

MannyFresh
12-02-2009, 04:22 PM
I think John and Lance have a good balance of humor and know when to cut the crap and get back to sports.

Sean and John haven't seemed to master that concept and the issue is worsened by the fact that John Harris is really, really not funny. It seems like Harris tries too hard to fit the "theme" of the station rather than stick to talking sports, which is what he's good at.

No John Harris is not funny at all...even in high school he was just the "smart jock" not the typical ladies man jock. He is knowledgeable though about college recruitment and just about everything sports in general...gotta be if your on TV on Channel 2 breaking down Texans' schemes and what not.

Wasn't Lance's dad like an assistance to the OC for the Brown's a few years back...I remember he'd always bring that up.

Drew_Smoke
12-02-2009, 04:27 PM
What a coup for 790.

LOL....that is great!

HoustonFrog
12-02-2009, 10:42 PM
No John Harris is not funny at all...even in high school he was just the "smart jock" not the typical ladies man jock. He is knowledgeable though about college recruitment and just about everything sports in general...gotta be if your on TV on Channel 2 breaking down Texans' schemes and what not.

Wasn't Lance's dad like an assistance to the OC for the Brown's a few years back...I remember he'd always bring that up.

He is the Steelers O-line coach and has been for a few years I believe.