PDA

View Full Version : Antwaun Molden: Placed on IR

TheRealJoker
11-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Anyone else disappointed in this guy? I had high hopes for him coming out. It seemed like he had an excellent combination of size/speed plus decent instincts. We actually drafted him BEFORE Slaton but the guy just cant seem to stay healthy. When healthy, he cant seem to get on the field unless its special teams :(

DexmanC
11-26-2009, 01:50 PM
Anyone else disappointed in this guy? I had high hopes for him coming out. It seemed like he had an excellent combination of size/speed plus decent instincts. We actually drafted him BEFORE Slaton but the guy just cant seem to stay healthy. When healthy, he cant seem to get on the field unless its special teams :(

He was blown up in last year's Titans game, and it shattered his ankle. Molden
has also had a hamstring issue since training camp, and didn't even play
in pre season. Hopefully, he returns to for next offseason, and has a
Jacoby Jones-like turnaround. The bandwagoners wanted that kid gone,
but our coaches know what they've got in their players.

m5kwatts
11-26-2009, 02:06 PM
This guy clearly doesn't have "it"

He's either injured or the last corner active

He had a decent run on special teams as the lead tackler his rookie year and has done nothing but regress

ATXtexanfan
11-26-2009, 03:25 PM
Yeah he looked the part, but if you can't get on the field then your of no use. Maybe next year.

HealingBullets
11-26-2009, 06:45 PM
He was placed on IR today, so there may be a reason.

m5kwatts
11-26-2009, 06:52 PM
We need more Glover Quin's and less Antwaun Molden's

rush2112mn
11-26-2009, 06:53 PM
I had totally forgotten about this guy. I think a really bad return on investment. Just plain bad luck........

mexican_texan
11-26-2009, 07:23 PM
I need to see more of him before I form an opinion.

ArlingtonTexan
11-26-2009, 08:37 PM
He was placed on IR today, so there may be a reason.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5852

The Texans made a roster move in their secondary for the second consecutive day, placing cornerback Antwaun Molden (quadriceps) on injured reserve and signing cornerback Mark Parson from the New Orleans Saints' practice squad.

Parson, an undrafted rookie from Ohio University, was with the Texans from June 5 through the end of the preseason. The Texans released him in their final roster cuts on Sept. 5, then signed him to the practice squad. Parson was let go by Houston on Sept. 22 and signed by the New Orleans Saints to their practice squad on Nov. 4.

This is the second time in two seasons that Molden, a third-round draft pick out of Eastern Kentucky in 2008, has been placed on injured reserve. A physically gifted corner, he played in 14 games as a rookie and was one of the Texans' top special teams players with 19 tackles. He suffered a season-ending fractured ankle in the Texans' Week 15 victory over the Titans at Reliant Stadium.

Quadriceps and hamstring injuries had limited him to Molden to playing in just four games this season. He recorded two special teams tackles on the year.

On Wednesday, the Texans placed starting free safety Eugene Wilson on injured reserve with toe injuries. Veteran safety Brian Russell was signed to take Wilson's place on the active roster.

Follow Nick Scurfield on Twitter at twitter.com/NickScurfield or find him on the "I'm A Texan Club" at imatexan.com/profiles/Nick_Scurf/.

TimeKiller
11-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Unless he has a monster camp in '10 I expect a big fat cut. Guy can't play. People knock on Schaub's health but come right the heck on, this guy can't stay healthy. Physically gifted? I guess. Fastest man to the training room maybe.

Wolf6151
11-26-2009, 10:25 PM
I wish the Texans would just cut this guy and move on. He's another example of a wasted pick, one of Kubiak's project players that has never done anything for this team. Just think if we had used that 3rd round pick on an Offensive lineman we'd have a guy that would be starting by now instead of 6th round picks and UDFA's filling our interior O-line. Another terrible pick by Kubiak.

DexmanC
11-26-2009, 10:34 PM
I wish the Texans would just cut this guy and move on. He's another example of a wasted pick, one of Kubiak's project players that has never done anything for this team. Just think if we had used that 3rd round pick on an Offensive lineman we'd have a guy that would be starting by now instead of 6th round picks and UDFA's filling our interior O-line. Another terrible pick by Kubiak.

Blah, blah, blah Mr. "Cut Jacoby" guy.

Molden is in his SECOND YEAR in the league. He's obviously gifted, as
he was a BEAST on special teams as a rookie. If you'd like, I could
GIF the play on which he was hurt. Dude got BLOWN UP as he was
gunning down the field to tackle a Titan on a punt return LATE in
last year's game. Fractured ankle, out for that season. His ankle still
wasn't 100% by the start of training camp, and went it healed, he
had quad and hamstring problems.

It was only his SECOND FREAKING SEASON, and his rookie season showed me
he's someone Kubiak can stick with until he has time to play. Jacoby
Jones was in a similar situation last season, and you are quiet on him, now.
The coaches won't cut a talented player because he's hurt. You cut
a talented player when he won't work. This kid gets right, he's gonna
be a good one.

utahmark
11-26-2009, 11:07 PM

did you copy/paste one of last years post's about jacoby?

NitroGSXR
11-26-2009, 11:50 PM

be a good one.

I'd love to see a gif of the play. I can pay you with positive rep.

DexmanC
11-27-2009, 12:32 AM

be a good one.

Here's the play where the kid got hurt. It was during the 14th game of
last season. It shattered his ankle. Cut him some slack. He's a good
kid.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2psel91.jpg

mexican_texan
11-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Count me among three people or so excited about the Mark Parson signing.

TexanBacker93
11-27-2009, 10:48 AM
He was blown up in last year's Titans game, and it shattered his ankle. Molden
has also had a hamstring issue since training camp, and didn't even play
in pre season. Hopefully, he returns to for next offseason, and has a
Jacoby Jones-like turnaround. The bandwagoners wanted that kid gone,
but our coaches know what they've got in their players.

There are times when I really wonder about this. Either that or if they know how to use them.

Mari-OWNED!
11-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Count me among three people or so excited about the Mark Parson signing.

I must be one of the other two then! Parson is raw, but I think he has a lot of potential and with the right coaching he could be a good corner in the league.

Definitely something the Texans need.

Mr. White
11-27-2009, 12:34 PM
I always thought of him more as a message board legend like Chris Taylor. If he ever showed what he was capable of, I guess I wasn't paying attention.

mexican_texan
11-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Chris Taylor averaged 99 yards per start if my memory serves me right.

TexanBacker93
11-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Chris Taylor averaged 99 yards per start if my memory serves me right.

Chris Taylor is on IR for the Patriots. It's a good living if you can get it.

steelbtexan
11-27-2009, 02:21 PM

Wolf 6151 I have to disagree with you.

Molden has great potential. He came from a small school and Kubes decided to break him into big time football on ST. Most guys from small schools are broken in this way. Rodgers-Cromartie is the exception to this rule.

Molden showed his value on ST as a rookie. He was oe of the best gunners in the NFL until he broke his ankle.

I'm going to speculate that if Molden hadn't broken his ankle Kubes would have let Dunta walk this offseason and let Molden start in his place.

This year was a lost year for Molden because he couldn't make it back from the ankle injury and favoring the ankle injury caused his hamstring problems.

With this said hopefully Molden will use this lost season to get fully healthy so that his talent can catch up to the NFL game.

If he doesn't show his talent on the field next year I will agree with you he should be cut but I'm not ready to give up on Molden at this time.

The Texans have too much time invested in Molden to not see how he pans out. IMO

Wolf6151
11-27-2009, 03:10 PM

be a good one.

I'll have to disagree with you. I don't think we should be taking ST players in the 3rd round, that's what your 5-7th round players are for. In the 3rd round I expect someone who either starts or at least starts the next year. Even when Molden is active he's behind 2 rookies (McCain and Quin) who were both drafted later than he was. He's almost never in the game even when healthy and has shown nothing as a CB, thus the reason the 2 rookies are getting more playing time. Here's the link to his stats, they suck.

http://www.nfl.com/players/antwaunmolden/profile?id=MOL131680

He's not worth the roster spot.

As for Jacoby Jones he's shown great improvement this year as a WR but has a long way to go to be considered a starter and continues to have ball control issues. I still hold my breath every time he fields a punt.

DexmanC
11-27-2009, 03:14 PM
I'll have to disagree with you. I don't think we should be taking ST players in the 3rd round, that's what your 5-7th round players are for. In the 3rd round I expect someone who either starts or at least starts the next year. Even when Molden is active he's behind 2 rookies (McCain and Quin) who were both drafted later than he was. He's almost never in the game even when healthy and has shown nothing as a CB, thus the reason the 2 rookies are getting more playing time. Here's the link to his stats, they suck.

http://www.nfl.com/players/antwaunmolden/profile?id=MOL131680

He's not worth the roster spot.

It's essentially what we did with Jacoby Jones. Like Molden, he immediately
became one of the best special teamers in the league, and a slow second
season partially due to injury (which you can't predict,) then exploded
in his third year as an offensive threat. I'd give Molden another season,
maybe two, to realize what we all saw from him in flashes during his
rookie year. Even when he was active this season, he was injured. As
was stated earlier, he still hadn't fully recovered from his broken ankle. Let's
see him healthy first, before you cut him lose. Talent wise, he's no Petey
Faggins.

If Kubiak and Smith have done ANYTHING well, it's draft.

beerlover
11-27-2009, 03:31 PM
rememeber Hoke was still the Texans secondary coach & must have had some input to sign off thinking he could develop Molden into starting CB.

Texans went right back to the well in the 4th, 6th & 7th rds. with new db coach David Gibbs, who must have signed off his part agreeing with Rick & scouting staff he could make Quinn a starter & develop McCain/Nolan (who also suffered serious injury).

One of the bright spots for me this year is the improvement of a young secondary, Moldens misfortunes aside, Gibbs seems to be a terrific young defensive coach & if Molden can recover he will have a chance to be what so many are hoping for.

m5kwatts
11-27-2009, 03:33 PM
It's essentially what we did with Jacoby Jones. Like Molden, he immediately
became one of the best special teamers in the league, and a slow second
season partially due to injury (which you can't predict,) then exploded
in his third year as an offensive threat. I'd give Molden another season,
maybe two, to realize what we all saw from him in flashes during his
rookie year. Even when he was active this season, he was injured. As
was stated earlier, he still hadn't fully recovered from his broken ankle. Let's
see him healthy first, before you cut him lose. Talent wise, he's no Petey
Faggins.

If Kubiak and Smith have done ANYTHING well, it's draft.

I don't think the frustration is with Kubiak/Smith... I agree they have drafted well... I think its more that Molden isn't seizing the opportunities that have been available. Look at Quin, he was a starter from day 1 with Dunta not here and been the nickel since then. He hit the ground running and didn't look back. I expected that from Molden when he first got here. Whether its been injury or whatever, he hasn't seized the opportunity. I can't blame Smith for taking a flier on a 6 foot 200 pound corner with 4.4 speed in the 3rd round. Thats clearly something worth investing in. Its just Antwaun has to do the rest after he gets his opportunity. Hopefully he does it next year in camp.

TheRealJoker
11-27-2009, 03:35 PM
rememeber Hoke was still the Texans secondary coach & must have had some input to sign off thinking he could develop Molden into starting CB.

Texans went right back to the well in the 4th, 6th & 7th rds. with new db coach David Gibbs, who must have signed off his part agreeing with Rick & scouting staff he could make Quinn a starter & develop McCain/Nolan (who also suffered serious injury).

One of the bright spots for me this year is the improvement of a young secondary, Moldens misfortunes aside, Gibbs seems to be a terrific young defensive coach & if Molden can recover he will have a chance to be what so many are hoping for.

Agree on Coach Gibbs the younger. He's done a heck of a job developing the young talent in the secondary. I think we're still gonna hit the secondary hard next year to find Dunta's replacement and a long term answer at safety. If Molden can stay health (A big IF) then I think he can beat out Bennett for a spot on the 53. But I expect a lot more out of a mid 3rd round pick in their 3rd year than JUST making the roster.

Vinny
11-27-2009, 03:37 PM
Antwaun Molden has done more for this organization than Bennie Joppru has ever thought about doing. I must add that Bennie didn't think about doing much.

DexmanC
11-27-2009, 10:00 PM
Agree on Coach Gibbs the younger. He's done a heck of a job developing the young talent in the secondary. I think we're still gonna hit the secondary hard next year to find Dunta's replacement and a long term answer at safety. If Molden can stay health (A big IF) then I think he can beat out Bennett for a spot on the 53. But I expect a lot more out of a mid 3rd round pick in their 3rd year than JUST making the roster.

Give Molden the benefit of the doubt. You think he'd be on IR if he didn't
get SMASHED during the 14th game of last season? Bad luck DOES exist,
and it happened to Molden. The kid was VERY promising before this hit, so
I'd say to cut him a little slack. He'll have the rest of this season, and
ALL of the offseason to stay in the training room with Ray Wright. In
case you need to see what happened:

NitroGSXR
11-27-2009, 10:28 PM

Give Molden the benefit of the doubt. You think he'd be on IR if he didn't
get SMASHED during the 14th game of last season? Bad luck DOES exist,
and it happened to Molden. The kid was VERY promising before this hit, so
I'd say to cut him a little slack. He'll have the rest of this season, and
ALL of the offseason to stay in the training room with Ray Wright. In
case you need to see what happened:

Like someone once said on TT, the season's a sprint...

That being said, we're paying Molden to recover. We're not even investing in developing him at this point in time. He's had two major setbacks and he's on a squad that's struggling all across the board. We don't have the space to allow someone to recover from injuries all the time. We can use that space to develop someone who's on the field.

I really like Antwaun Molden. I think we need to find our backups in our inconsistent, injured secondary more right now. Folks are falling left and right. We're putting lesser talent out there. Get us some more unknowns on there and we may be able to at least confuse teams as to who's out there patrolling the air.

Shit happens. We gave him a shot and paid for him to be on the IR for a season. Cut him and allow him to earn his way back on a football team. Hopefully he'll give us a shot and resign with us. I like him a whole bunch but we need football players who can go play right now.

Then again, I'm one who's still on the anti-Jacoby Jones bandwagon. I'm not buying what he's selling. I've seen enough.

RagingBull
11-27-2009, 10:48 PM
Poor guy is the new Charles Spencer

NitroGSXR
11-27-2009, 10:50 PM
Poor guy is the new Charles Spencer

Well said.