PDA

View Full Version : Twitter-Gate a/k/a Cush-Gate

nunusguy
11-25-2009, 12:16 PM
"It has come to the attention of the Houston Texans that an individual has posted tweets on the Twitter account 'BrianCushing56' posing as Texans rookie linebacker Brian Cushing," the statement reads. "That account is not affiliated with Brian or with anyone associated with the Houston Texans organization."

The fake Cushing account has 5,185 followers.

But here's the kicker. The supposedly fake Twitter account makes repeated reference to Cushing's official web site, BrianCushing56.com, which appears to truly be Cushing's web site.

Naturally, the official Cushing web site includes a Twitter feed.

And it's the same Twitter feed that supposedly is fake -- BrianCushing56.

So, basically, none of this makes any sense to us.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/24/texans-say-cushings-twitter-account-is-a-fake-but-is-it/
I dunno what's going on here ?

JWarren14
11-25-2009, 12:18 PM
Athlete's with twitter accounts=trouble

Texan_Bill
11-25-2009, 12:24 PM
I'm not a twit, so I don't speak twitter.

Porky
11-25-2009, 12:35 PM
More than likely it is his account and he did say those things, but now they are trying to put out the fire. I saw what it said in the chronic and I happen to agree, but the Texans PR folks probably had a come to Jesus moment with him, so now they are trying to backtrack and say it's someone else.

Vinny
11-25-2009, 12:51 PM
I'm pretty much 100% positive it is the guys running his website. Brian's brother Mike runs that site. His brother is very enthusiastic and this is his style (explosively enthusiastic). Nice guy...I've talked to him and we exchange texts all the time. I'm sure he just backpeddled so he didn't get Brian in trouble.

VY 4 LIFE
11-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Cushing's twitter has been taken offline now.

m5kwatts
11-25-2009, 01:17 PM
All this over avoiding paying a little NFL fine? Doesn't Cush have 10 mil in the bank? Now he won't be able to promote his blog.

Ckw
11-25-2009, 01:17 PM
What did "he" (whoever that may be) say exactly in his "tweet"?

m5kwatts
11-25-2009, 01:21 PM

It was deleted pretty quickly... From what I recall he said he's really PO'd about losing and how all the bad penalties killed us, then in a 2nd tweet he said how do I get flagged for pushing a 6'5" 240 man out of bounds BS... loosely paraphrased

HTown2ATX
11-25-2009, 01:21 PM

Exactly what I was going to ask....

Khari
11-25-2009, 01:22 PM
something about the ref's sucking and missing calls...... lol

HTown2ATX
11-25-2009, 01:23 PM
It was deleted pretty quickly... From what I recall he said he's really PO'd about losing and how all the bad penalties killed us, then in a 2nd tweet he said how do I get flagged for pushing a 6'5" 240 man out of bounds BS... loosely paraphrased

If that's all he said...Why the hell is anyone acting like it's a big deal?:headhurts:

Pantherstang84
11-25-2009, 01:24 PM
If that's all he said...Why the hell is anyone acting like it's a big deal?:headhurts:

They are afraid of the KGB err I mean NFL.

m5kwatts
11-25-2009, 01:28 PM

Any complaining about officiating is fine-worthy. He also specifically called out VY in the tweet too, which I'm sure they're trying to avoid giving Tennessee bulletin board material (my opinion). All this damage control is an attempt to avoid the fine. I really don't think its worth it considering his twitter was his platform to communicate with fans and promote his blog. That'll be difficult now.

HOU-TEX
11-25-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm not a twit, so I don't speak twitter.

I don't either. I'm not sure people want to know if I'm pinching a loaf or anything else I do.

Hookem Horns
11-25-2009, 01:49 PM
It's his web company doing the tweeting I am sure. Most SEO companies, etc offer tweeting as part of their service to promote your site. For example I have "authored" hundreds of real estate related articles on the net through an outside source.

You really have to be on those guys and monitor what they are doing.

nunusguy
11-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Yea how could this be a big deal when they got VY high-fivin the Ref on YouTube for playing favs on the calls ?

Corrosion
11-25-2009, 02:02 PM

These have to be the toughest calls to accept to me - Yes , it LOOKS Like the guy is running out of bounds - BUT how many times have we seen a situation where a guy doesnt go out and simply turns it upfield (remember Eugene Wilson's olay attempt in preseason?).... It wasnt like he mugged the guy either - it was a simple shove to make sure he went out rather than turning upfield. I could see a penalty had he tried to lay the wood .... Officials have to be more judicious about those calls.

How bout the ref high fiving VY post game ?

False Start
11-25-2009, 02:13 PM

It was against the chosen one. ;)

m5kwatts
11-25-2009, 02:24 PM
These have to be the toughest calls to accept to me - Yes , it LOOKS Like the guy is running out of bounds - BUT how many times have we seen a situation where a guy doesnt go out and simply turns it upfield (remember Eugene Wilson's olay attempt in preseason?).... It wasnt like he mugged the guy either - it was a simple shove to make sure he went out rather than turning upfield. I could see a penalty had he tried to lay the wood .... Officials have to be more judicious about those calls.

How bout the ref high fiving VY post game ?

Anyone read the NFL's pathetical attempt at explaining the high-five?

"It was not Jerome Boger's intent to exchange a high-five with the player," a league spokesman told the paper. "As Vince Young took a knee on the game's final play, Jerome Boger jogged in with his right arm in the air to signify the play was over. That is the proper administrative signal for the referee.

"As Young turned around, he saw Boger approaching the line of scrimmage with his arm raised. As Boger moved toward the line of scrimmage, he started to bring his arm down. However, before he lowered his arm, Young, moving towards the referee, raised his own arm and the two exchanged what appeared to be a quick high-five."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/25/nfl-says-ref-didnt-give-vince-young-a-high-five/

What a CROCK! LOL. This is why lawyers have a bad name. For coming up with these kinds of excuses.

Vinny
11-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Anyone read the NFL's pathetical attempt at explaining the high-five?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/25/nfl-says-ref-didnt-give-vince-young-a-high-five/

What a CROCK! LOL. This is why lawyers have a bad name. For coming up with these kinds of excuses.
So I guess the more reasonable explanation is that Young and this Ref rigged the game? Get real.

nunusguy
11-25-2009, 02:54 PM
I hope they can restore the twitter account at some point soon ?
Cushing is rapidly becoming a fan fav and his following will only increase as he becomes more widely known in the area and no doubt as we move into the offseason and away from football for several months fans will want to keep track of his wherabouts and activities and twitter would help with that.

Corrosion
11-25-2009, 02:56 PM
So I guess the more reasonable explanation is that Young and this Ref rigged the game? Get real.

I wont put it out of the realm of possibility - especially with what we have seen happen in the NBA recently. IF there was some manipulation going on (IF) I'd say that it was more likely that the intent wasnt to affect the outcome of the game but the spread.

What I'd like to know is where was the personal foul call on I believe it was Finnegan grabing a Texans reciever -I believe it was Anderson- by both legs like a wheelbarrow and dragging him back 2-3 yards LONG after the whistle. If ever there should have been a personal foul called in this game - That was it.

Another instance was just before the half when the Titans players collectively held Slaton down so the Texans couldnt get off another play. That play was over with 8 seconds left on the clock yet the Ref's never even spotted the ball.

Vinny
11-25-2009, 02:57 PM
I wont put it out of the realm of possibility - especially with what we have seen happen in the NBA recently. IF there was some manipulation going on (IF) I'd say that it was more likely that the intent wasnt to affect the outcome of the game but the spread.

good god I thought you were smarter.

Corrosion
11-25-2009, 03:00 PM
good god I thought you were smarter.

I dont believe that to be the case - I simply said if there was manipulation.

Really , can you put it out of the realm of possibility with the recent events in the NBA with Tim Donaghy?

barrett
11-25-2009, 03:04 PM
::yawn::

Is someone saying something?

nunusguy
11-25-2009, 03:15 PM
Really , can you put it out of the realm of possibility with the recent events in the NBA with Tim Donaghy?
And don't forget the crap going on down in the SEC ? Some of that stuff is more than suspicious ?

Corrosion
11-25-2009, 03:44 PM
And don't forget the crap going on down in the SEC ? Some of that stuff is more than suspicious ?

With the amount of money involved in sports from sponsors , gate , direct sales , and from gambling - its difficult to believe that any sport can remain pure.

When you get right down to it - the NFL is all about its botton line ....

Dan B.
11-25-2009, 03:51 PM
I can buy that Vince saw a guy with his arm up and just gave him a quick high five. I can't count how many times I've been hailing taxis or waving at someone and some guy just randomly high fives me.

disaacks3
11-25-2009, 03:53 PM

What I'd like to know is where was the personal foul call on I believe it was Finnegan grabing a Texans reciever -I believe it was Anderson- by both legs like a wheelbarrow and dragging him back 2-3 yards LONG after the whistle. If ever there should have been a personal foul called in this game - That was it.

Another instance was just before the half when the Titans players collectively held Slaton down so the Texans couldnt get off another play. That play was over with 8 seconds left on the clock yet the Ref's never even spotted the ball. I was screaming in the Bull Pen about that one. That non-call directly influenced the range that Kris Brown had to kick from. It also indirectly influenced the amount of potential time to get off another play before being forced to kick.

Double Barrel
11-25-2009, 04:02 PM

That was a horse crap non-call, especially considering the personal foul that Cushing took for the little shove he gave VY on the sideline. But, we got away with tripping and didn't get called, so it evens out.

While I tend not to think that the fix is on (I have to or I could not watch football in good conscience), I do see a tendency for there to exist a duality in calling penalties. Much like the NBA, certain 'superstars' seem to get the benefit of the doubt. I really cannot speculate if this is collusion on the NFL's part, but tightening of the enforcement of rules around certain players is not beyond the realm of possibilities.
Superstars = higher ratings = $$$

m5kwatts
11-25-2009, 04:14 PM

Rigged the game is stretching it. My concern with officials in all the major sports is getting too buddy-buddy with players. They're humans with emotions and professional athletes know this and know how to get in good and warm up to them.

You shoulda heard what Jeff Fisher was saying to the refs before the Bills game, it was aired on Inside the NFL last week, he was congratulating an official on his 2nd child and was asking how his wife was and wished him good luck in the game and had a very personal conversation. Players and coaches have conversations with officials before the game and do this, its gamesmanship. I would worry that Vince pulled some gamesmanship before the game and the high-five was more of a "good officiating because we won" kinda thing. And I worry that officials get too awe-struck with these athletes and see VY coming at them with a high-five and they can't turn it down. If they were professional they would.

Porky
11-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Cushing still denies Twitter messages despite electronic trail (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6739230.html)

A day after Texans linebacker Brian Cushing said he is not responsible for Twitter comments critical of the officiating in the Texans’ loss to the Titans, there appears to be evidence on at least four Web sites tying him to the account.

An electronic paper trail obtained by the Houston Chronicle shows several references to the Twitter account briancushing56, including on Cushing’s official Web site.

Messages “re-tweeting” comments from briancushing56 were found on the Texans’ official Twitter account. Cushing’s Facebook site also has links to his blog, which reference the tagline “follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/briancushing56.” The tagline is mentioned on Cushing’s blog dating to June.

After Monday night’s 20-17 loss, the Twitter account bearing Cushing’s name and number included the message: “I’m sick to my stomach after another loss in which we could have tied with the field goal for OT! The refs were terrible last night!”

On Tuesday, another tweet said: “The refs killed us last night! The phantom horse collar, me pushing a 6’5” 245 lbs. QB out of bounds while he cried to the refs for a flag!”

Cushing maintained Wednesday that the account does not belong to him.

"I've never had a Twitter account. I've never been on Twitter," Cushing said. "Somebody told me that someone had linked a Twitter account to my Web site, and I didn't pay attention to it. I've got Facebook and MySpace accounts with my name on it, and I don't pay attention to them, either. I wasn't worried about it until it got out of hand. We got it taken down. We'll get it solved. I don't worry about it."

Corrosion
11-25-2009, 06:40 PM
I was screaming in the Bull Pen about that one. That non-call directly influenced the range that Kris Brown had to kick from. It also indirectly influenced the amount of potential time to get off another play before being forced to kick.

I dont know how they could not make that call - one of the officials was standing right on top of the play .... one of the comentators even mentioned he would be fined for it.

Big Lou
11-25-2009, 07:35 PM

Another instance was just before the half when the Titans players collectively held Slaton down so the Texans couldnt get off another play. That play was over with 8 seconds left on the clock yet the Ref's never even spotted the ball.

At least a Delay of Game. And where was the flag for the Titans Defensive Lineman driving Schaub in to the ground after leaving his feet. That is a big no no. Oh and Schaub has been Horse Collared three times this season and it's never been called, but Chris Johnson wasn't Horse Collared, but it's called. Love it, I love it. Yet the Officials (Official peices of S--t!!!) can't be called out. I understand the integrity of the game, but the officials and the NFL don't. There sure is a lot more credibility when the NFL admits that it makes mistakes instead of this BS "we never make mistakes, and you better not say anything" policy they have......

Big Lou
11-25-2009, 07:44 PM
I was screaming in the Bull Pen about that one. That non-call directly influenced the range that Kris Brown had to kick from. It also indirectly influenced the amount of potential time to get off another play before being forced to kick.

You know I'm not a head coach in the NFL for two reasons:

1. I don't have any of the skills or experience needed.

2. Because when these officials do some of thier stupid crap I would be unable to keep myself from walking out on to the field and literally punch them in the face or kick them in the nuts. :kingkong: