PDA

View Full Version : No More Getting Upset For Me

gary
11-24-2009, 09:02 PM
I'll continue to watch the Texans and cheer them on but I am done with being upset or showing any emotion for any of my favorite sports teams after years and years of heartbreak being a Houston sports fan. We all should be because it's only a game and none of us have any money invested in the team besides season tickets if you have any. Stop buying them untill this team wins football games. I used to get angry and even scream at my T.V. all for not. I will keep on speaking my mind about my team but getting upset about something that is way beyond my control just simply is not worth it anymore nor was it ever. I watch games and cheer for my team have fun doing so and enjoy the game regardless of the outcome that's all. The is really what being a fan is all about no bring angry no picking fights with each other either here an the message board or anywhere. Life goes on and we willl wake up the next day and move on and look foward to the next game and the cycle goes on just like the water cycle. It is about basic fanhood for me from now on without all the extra stress that goes along with it and I hope it becomes this way for all of you. It just makes the games much more easy going on our health and a lot more fun to watch IMO. All that being said, GO TEXANS

Vinny
11-24-2009, 09:06 PM
I'm still gonna get all pissed off....its just how I rollz. :clown:

gary
11-24-2009, 09:10 PM
I'm still gonna get all pissed off....its just how I rollz. :clown:You have your rights master Vincent.

pbat488
11-24-2009, 09:10 PM
When you invest a lot of time into something and things turn bad, it's just human nature to be angry, sad, frustrated etc.. however, I try to keep things in perspective when I find myself becoming like that. After all, it's just a game, right?

Keep your head up Gary, you're an inspiration to us all.

gary
11-24-2009, 09:13 PM
You put time in but you are not made to.

NitroGSXR
11-24-2009, 09:22 PM
I'll continue to watch the Texans and cheer them on but I am done with being upset or showing any emotion for any of my favorite sports teams after years and years of heartbreak being a Houston sports fan. We all should be because it's only a game and none of us have any money invested in the team besides season tickets if you have any. Stop buying them untill this team wins football games. I used to get angry and even scream at my T.V. all for not. I will keep on speaking my mind about my team but getting upset about something that is way beyond my control just simply is not worth it anymore nor was it ever. I watch games and cheer for my team have fun doing so and enjoy the game regardless of the outcome that's all. The is really what being a fan is all about no bring angry no picking fights with each other either here an the message board or anywhere. Life goes on and we willl wake up the next day and move on and look foward to the next game and the cycle goes on just like the water cycle. It is about basic fanhood for me from now on without all the extra stress that goes along with it and I hope it becomes this way for all of you. It just makes the games much more easy going on our health and a lot more fun to watch IMO. All that being said, GO TEXANS

Bull. It's all about wins. McNair... Go get me some super bowls or I'll be givin' ya a wedgie.

:fans:

Seriously though... message boards really do bring out meanness in people. I agree with ya there. Seems like people on message boards entered a competition for who can dish out the most sarcasm. It sucks. I want to talk football sometimes but get mocked or even implied that I'm stupid. It's ridiculous.

You need to get yourself back on that bandwagon full throttle, Gary. We can't lose you too. Getting our hearts broken is part of the game and life.

:fans::fans::fans::fans::fans:

Vinny
11-24-2009, 09:23 PM
You put time in but you are not made to.
I was talking to Darrell earlier and we were laughing at the guys taking this way too seriously. Bottom line is that this is a hobby for all of us. I sat through back to back 1-13 Oiler seasons and nothing in my life changed good or bad...same here during the Texans formative years. That doesn't mean I won't find something sarcastic to say about Kubiak's brilliant game planning. :roast:

gary
11-24-2009, 09:27 PM
I was talking to Darrell earlier and we were laughing at the guys taking this way too seriously. Bottom line is that this is a hobby for all of us. I sat through back to back 1-13 Oiler seasons and nothing in my life changed good or bad...same here during the Texans formative years. That doesn't mean I won't find something sarcastic to say about Kubiak's brilliant game planning. :roast:That's all I'm saying doesn't change a darn thing.

Vinny
11-24-2009, 09:28 PM
That's all I'm saying doesn't change a darn thing.so that means you will hang in there and say something really stupid with me? You can watch the master if you prefer.

We don't mind lurkers. :snowday:

gary
11-24-2009, 09:32 PM
so that means you will hang in there and say something really stupid with me? You can watch the master if you prefer.

We don't mind lurkers. :snowday:Probably so but all in fun not out of anger. Have some rep.

Thorn
11-24-2009, 09:35 PM
It doesn't matter how bad or good they are, I'll be watching them every time they are on TV.

pardon me for bringing up our past team, but I watched the Oilers back in their worst days. They went 1-13 two years in a row, I was still watching. Sometimes you just had to laugh at them. Of course back then I was also smoking that illegal stuff, so I was laughing at everything.

Then Earl Cambell came along and the days of glory began. Never paid off with a Super Bowl though. I learned then that it doesn't matter if the rest of the league, the country, or sports writers respect a team or not, or what anyone says, if you don't bring home a Super Bowl trophy you don't get to be the darlings of the media. The Texans don't get a lot of respect right now, and they won't until they put togeather some great seasons. That's just the way it is with the sports media, and probably as it should be.

So, I'll just continue to watch the Texans and probably spend far to much time on this board making ridiculously uninformed posts. Maybe on my death bed I'll watch them win a Super Bowl as the aliens land their spaceships and save the Earth. :)

gary
11-24-2009, 09:40 PM
Bull. It's all about wins. McNair... Go get me some super bowls or I'll be givin' ya a wedgie.

:fans:

Seriously though... message boards really do bring out meanness in people. I agree with ya there. Seems like people on message boards entered a competition for who can dish out the most sarcasm. It sucks. I want to talk football sometimes but get mocked or even implied that I'm stupid. It's ridiculous.

You need to get yourself back on that bandwagon full throttle, Gary. We can't lose you too. Getting our hearts broken is part of the game and life.

:fans::fans::fans::fans::fans:

Thanks Nitro.

Honoring Earl 34
11-24-2009, 09:52 PM
Probably so but all in fun not out of anger. Have some rep.

Gary you have learned an important lesson that I learned watching Phi Slamma Jamma lose to NC State . Invest yourself but don't let it control you , it's all in fun and gives us something to talk about . Heck we would have never met if it wasn't for the Texans and who would have started the TMac fan club . :bubbles:

There will come a day sooner than later where our Texans will make us proud and it will all be worth it .

gary
11-24-2009, 10:10 PM
Gary you have learned an important lesson that I learned watching Phi Slamma Jamma lose to NC State . Invest yourself but don't let it control you , it's all in fun and gives us something to talk about . Heck we would have never met if it wasn't for the Texans and who would have started the TMac fan club . :bubbles:

There will come a day sooner than later where our Texans will make us proud and it will all be worth it .Amen to this.

DiehardChris
11-24-2009, 10:41 PM
I think everyone's overreacting a little to this loss. Everyone will be all jacked up again when they play Indy on Sunday, and if they win that game, a win against the Jags can put them right back in the thick of things, and everyone will be emotionally invested again.

We're Houston football fans. It's what we do. The Texans can lose their next ten games, and my level of fandom isn't going to change. I'm not saying that's a positive thing, it just is what it is - to steal a sports cliche.

Big Lou
11-24-2009, 10:46 PM
I think everyone's overreacting a little to this loss. Everyone will be all jacked up again when they play Indy on Sunday, and if they win that game, a win against the Jags can put them right back in the thick of things, and everyone will be emotionally invested again.

We're Houston football fans. It's what we do. The Texans can lose their next ten games, and my level of fandom isn't going to change. I'm not saying that's a positive thing, it just is what it is - to steal a sports cliche.

Yes this.

GuerillaBlack
11-25-2009, 02:01 AM
I was talking to Darrell earlier and we were laughing at the guys taking this way too seriously. Bottom line is that this is a hobby for all of us. I sat through back to back 1-13 Oiler seasons and nothing in my life changed good or bad...same here during the Texans formative years. That doesn't mean I won't find something sarcastic to say about Kubiak's brilliant game planning. :roast:

Which is why when I threw my old phone, I felt like a five year old girl who doesn't get her way almost immediately afterwards. "Why the hell am I doing this? It's just a game." I then turned off the TV and opened up TexansTalk to vent and make fun of Kubiak.

Thorn
11-25-2009, 08:59 AM

Good post. And as you alluded to, itís our job as fans (itís in the job description for Sports Fans), that we overreact to any and everything. :)

Texan_Bill
11-25-2009, 09:08 AM

^^^This.... And at the very least, we're not Chicago Cubs fans. *sorry Jen*

BIG TORO
11-25-2009, 09:36 AM
Probably so but all in fun not out of anger. Have some rep.

I feel your pain I decided that in the Third Qaurter of the game!:fans:

HOU-TEX
11-25-2009, 09:45 AM
I told TB before the game that I had a bad feeling. I was half expecting a loss and still ended up very pissed off. But, that soon goes away and my life goes on unchanged. Still, for those 3-4 hours I'm completely emotionally invested in the team. You get angry, you vent, you discuss and then you move on.

El Tejano
11-25-2009, 10:59 AM
I feel the same way as the original creator of this thread. I get way too upset. I need to not put that much into a team that hasn't done much. I'll always be the biggest fan ever but it is getting to a point where I just can't handle myself.

My only question is, when is the good stuff going to happent to us. I'm going back to the Oiler days here too. Team goes to the AFC championship in 78 but a crazy out of bounds call helps us lose that game, Oilers with a lead that has us beating Denver in Denver but John Elway goes 98 yards for game winning FG (kicker makes FG) Oilers go 35-3 against....well you all know what happened....miracles that noone ever would've thought could happen, Oilers win 11 in a row after starting out 1-4 and Joe Montana is there to say "no way". Texans, have chance to beat Peyton after losing 3 straight but the ball seems to start bouncing out of our hands as if it had a remote control, we block a punt and a kick against defending champion Patriots and force OT only to have them beat us in OT, 4-5 games we lost this year. That's emotionally draining. Why can't we be that team on the other side of the ball? That's what I want to be? Seems like everyone gets to enjoy that experience but the teams I root for. That's the depressing part. I even root for the teams like Detroit because I know how their fans feel. When AZ. went to the Super Bowl, I rooted for them because Steeler fans have had their share of success and can get over it.

Farough
11-25-2009, 12:26 PM
WHen I go out to watch the game I ***** and moan when something goes wrong. I may yell at the TV when someone misses an assignment or the refs make a bad call(or a call that I think is bad). When they lose I get angry and upset, but about an hour after the game I go right back to how I was before it even started.

It's okay to get emotional while the game is on but I've seen some of my friends take it out on other people, some of them it ruins there week. There has to be a line that you have to make as to seperate sports from everything else.

Go ahead and be passionate, yell at the TV, complain about the game at hand, and come on here to talk about it. But if it gets to the point where you are constantly in a bad mood because your favourite team isn't playing well or lost then you should probably take a break.

Porky
11-25-2009, 12:47 PM
If it never rained, you wouldn't appreciate days like today. If you never struggled in your life financially, you'll never appreciate the good times. If you have never been hungry, you won't truly appreciate the feeling of a full stomach.

I'm telling you Gary, the best of times are just ahead right past the next bend in the road. It is always darkest just before the dawn. A new day is ahead, and when all of us who have been here thru the darkest of times bask in the glory of the sunshine, it will be taste that much sweeter than those who decided to jump on the bandwagon at the last minute.

Double Barrel
11-25-2009, 01:02 PM
As with any hobby, you have to keep things in perspective. Don't live vicariously through a spectator sport. Save your true passion in life for the things that really matter: family, friends, faith, charity.

That being said, for three hours a week during football season I allow myself to suspend reality and pause the problems of the world that can weigh us all down and just be a rabid fanatic for my sports team. The camaraderie of my friends and Texans family is something I enjoy greatly, and win or lose, I still appreciate the moment.

However, during the game, I can get as wrapped up in it as much as anyone and I do! Scream at officials from Gridiron, Tx., high five when they do good, get pissed when things don't go our way.

But in the end, I realize that they won or lost, and I just watched. Time to go back to the responsibilities of life and all that jazz. I do love that momentary diversion, though. It's what it's all about at the end of the day.

maddogmrb
11-25-2009, 01:18 PM

Actually, I don't think we're overreacting. The Texans are capable of going out next Sunday and beating the Colts and then laying a big fat one against the Jags and we're right back where we were .... mediocre. Some of us are getting tired of it. There is no consistency. There is no definitive sign that the team will become a consistent winner. The ONLY sign we have is that the team is consistently inconsistent and it starts with Kubiak. He may be a great guy and the players may all like him, but IMO, he is probably an excellent assistant coach and over his head as a head coach. Kinda like Wade Phillips.