PDA

View Full Version : Kubiak: Brown is 'our kicker'

Texans34Life
11-24-2009, 05:30 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6737607.html

Texans coach Gary Kubiak said Tuesday that the team will not audition kickers in the wake of Kris Brown’s latest missed field goal in Monday’s 20-17 loss to the Titans.

“Kris is our kicker,” Kubiak said at his weekly press conference.

Brown missed a 49-yard field goal with one second left that would have sent the game into overtime. Two weeks earlier, Brown missed a 42-yarder in the final minute in a 20-17 loss to the Indianapolis Colts.

“(I’m) the reason we lose the game,” Brown said after Monday’s loss dropped the Texans to 5-5. “That’s hard for me to take. I need to go figure out what the heck is going on, and I need to figure it out pretty quick.”

Livid13
11-24-2009, 05:34 PM
I've been waiting for this thread. You have to consider the guy's, "body of work", while in Houston. He's been a clutch kicker and in MY mind, he isn't responsible for either loss. YES, he's paid to MAKE field goals and he's obviously in a slump. The last time I checked, he didn't play defense, or offense. The TEAM lost last night, as well as Brown.

nero THE zero
11-24-2009, 05:39 PM
If only he'd shown the same commitment to Slaton, Kris Brown might not even be an issue right now.

Vinny
11-24-2009, 05:45 PM
“Kris is our kicker,” Kubiak said at his weekly press conference. I'm gonna take a respite in my dogging of Kubiak for a second. I think I can speak for all of us by recognizing the fact that Kris Brown is indeed our kicker. Nobody can accuse me of saying he is getting it all wrong.

DiehardChris
11-24-2009, 05:45 PM
The problem is, his issue is mental. All kickers are pretty much the same. Some have better range than others, but finding kickers who make the easy kicks is simple.

The thing that separates great ones from good ones is how they perform in the clutch. Bringing FAs in for tryouts doesn't mean jack because in a tryout you can't have them in a clutch situation.

We're all mad at KB right now - I'm no different - but you're not going to do any better than him right now as far as FAs go. Now, once the season is over? Goodbye. Unless he suddenly gets his clutch mojo back.

Texecutioner
11-24-2009, 05:57 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah, Brown has been a great kicker for many of these years, however Brown has never failed miserably like this in two straight games where his kicks stopped us from tying up games. And he missed two important FG's last night as well and missed like one or two early on this year that he should have gotten. He clearly has not been the same kicker that he was in years past. It's time to find a new kicker. I don't think we can find one now, but in the off season we need to find a new one.

Texan_Bill
11-24-2009, 06:04 PM
I liken kickers to golfers. No one can really explain why they get the yips, but they do. Sometimes it's mechanical but mostly it's mental.

I agree Brown choked the 42 yard in Indy. However, I'm not going to be as critical on a 49 yarder. 7 yards doesn't seem like a lot, but it is to a kicker.

MannyFresh
11-24-2009, 06:19 PM
So there are no consequences? Texans are not even going to tryout potential new kickers? At all? Kris "hookit" Brown keeps his job and they don't even attempt to hold em accountable or even "scare" him of losing his job by having potential kickers to scare him "straight"? Kris Brown is officially our Brad Lidge.

GuerillaBlack
11-24-2009, 06:28 PM
I've been waiting for this thread. You have to consider the guy's, "body of work", while in Houston. He's been a clutch kicker and in MY mind, he isn't responsible for either loss. YES, he's paid to MAKE field goals and he's obviously in a slump. The last time I checked, he didn't play defense, or offense. The TEAM lost last night, as well as Brown.

This is very true. Kris Brown was clutch for us when we were going 4-12, 5-11, 6-10, and already well out of the playoff race.

Double Barrel
11-24-2009, 06:29 PM

Nobody has said that Brown plays offense or defense. He is paid to do one thing for this team: kick the ball.

The offense put him in position to do his job and he failed twice. And in the game before, as well.

Kubiak benches RBs who fail, but we don't have a backup kicker so we are stuck with him and his mental issues for at least the rest of the season. I just hope the offense realizes that we can't just settle for getting into field goal range now.

jaayteetx
11-24-2009, 06:50 PM
Falcons aren't afraid to apply a little pressure.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6737527.html

GuerillaBlack
11-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Kubiak needs to grow a pair. Bring in some kickers. Seriously.

Number19
11-24-2009, 07:12 PM
Who's his holder now? Has this changed from last year to this year? I do know that the snapper has changed, with Bryan Pittman being released late last season. I have a mental picture that Brown has not kicked as well since Pittman's release. Has anyone else sensed this?

Second Honeymoon
11-24-2009, 07:33 PM
I liken kickers to golfers. No one can really explain why they get the yips, but they do. Sometimes it's mechanical but mostly it's mental.

I agree Brown choked the 42 yard in Indy. However, I'm not going to be as critical on a 49 yarder. 7 yards doesn't seem like a lot, but it is to a kicker.

then why did dumb*** Kubiak not call a play with :08 left and a timeout in hand? why did he call the 'schaub fall in middle of hash' play. Kubiak is a big puhcee. Period. He plays scared and he plays not to lose.

Kubiak sucks and is a proven loser. I don't care where he went to school.

SAMURAITEXAN
11-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Whether Kubiak really thinks Brown is our kicker or not, do you expect Kubiak to come out saying Brown isn't our kicker in the middle of season? Not likely.

Yes, Brown missed crucial FG goals for last two games which made me really sick. However, he has been reliable in the past and to bring in FA right now to tryout is not going to help Brown's confidence level at all. I would assume our FO will take a hard look after this season.

Besides, bring FA to tryout and playing real pressuring game situation is the world of difference. FA kicker(questionable reliability) VS Mostly reliable kicker. I would take Brown for remainer of season.

Go Texans!!!

Norg
11-24-2009, 07:44 PM
In other words that means

for now or the end of the season depending on his play

Esoom
11-24-2009, 08:14 PM
then why did dumb*** Kubiak not call a play with :08 left and a timeout in hand? why did he call the 'schaub fall in middle of hash' play. Kubiak is a big puhcee. Period. He plays scared and he plays not to lose.

Kubiak sucks and is a proven loser. I don't care where he went to school.

Kubiak called the same call that the vast majority of other coaches with a proven clutch kicker would have called in that situation. If he would have gone for it all and time would have ran out you'd be pissed at him for that as well. He made a logical call and Kris Brown choked.

PapaL
11-24-2009, 10:10 PM
What did the Colts do when Vanderjagt, the most acurate kicker in NFL History, started missing kicks and become unreliable?

They got the best Kicker in the league. The guy who who craps out SB victories with his kicks.

Brown has been good for us...competition never hurt anyone.

eriadoc
11-24-2009, 10:16 PM
Yes, Brown missed crucial FG goals for last two games which made me really sick. However, he has been reliable in the past and to bring in FA right now to tryout is not going to help Brown's confidence level at all. I would assume our FO will take a hard look after this season.

What did the Colts do when Vanderjagt, the most acurate kicker in NFL History, started missing kicks and become unreliable?

They got the best Kicker in the league. The guy who who craps out SB victories with his kicks.

Brown has been good for us the past two seasons, but prior to that, was just about the worst kicker in the NFL (75% as a Texan from '02-'06). He has a career percentage of 77.8%, which ranks him in the bottom 25% of kickers in the NFL. The kickers that have similar numbers to him pretty much kick for miserable teams as well. Only a few of them have as much time in the NFL as Brown with such bad numbers.

Most kickers who have done what Brown has done get fired. This season, we have the worst kicker in the NFL. Over his Texans career, our kicker has been in the bottom 25% of the NFL. If he played QB, he'd be the equivalent of Shaun Hill or something.

GuerillaBlack
11-25-2009, 01:20 AM
^^All apart of making your team better. Who would have thought that we would have needed an uprade at the kicker position at the start of the season? We've been upgrading all over since Carr left. I like, but Kubiak is still doing some weird stuff.

SAMURAITEXAN
11-25-2009, 01:25 AM
Brown has been good for us the past two seasons, but prior to that, was just about the worst kicker in the NFL (75% as a Texan from '02-'06). He has a career percentage of 77.8%, which ranks him in the bottom 25% of kickers in the NFL. The kickers that have similar numbers to him pretty much kick for miserable teams as well. Only a few of them have as much time in the NFL as Brown with such bad numbers.

Most kickers who have done what Brown has done get fired. This season, we have the worst kicker in the NFL. Over his Texans career, our kicker has been in the bottom 25% of the NFL. If he played QB, he'd be the equivalent of Shaun Hill or something.

Yes, Brown has been good for us the past two seasons which I believe good enough to give him time(this season) to prove himself that he is worth it. There's still a concern about FA vs Brown which I already mentioned in earlier post.

Go Texans!!!

GP
11-25-2009, 01:49 AM
Contrast this with how he has dealt with other players.

So much adoration, by Kubiak, for our field goal kicker. Yet the star running back was (a) benched, and then (b) named "the starter" yet saw hardly any rushing opportunities come his way.

I think Kubiak's act is beginning to get to a few people on the team, and I think this team is slowly growing unnerved about it.

GuerillaBlack
11-25-2009, 02:06 AM
Contrast this with how he has dealt with other players.

So much adoration, by Kubiak, for our field goal kicker. Yet the star running back was (a) benched, and then (b) named "the starter" yet saw hardly any rushing opportunities come his way.

I think Kubiak's act is beginning to get to a few people on the team, and I think this team is slowly growing unnerved about it.

And that sucks because Kubiak is a nice guy, but his style of coaching is so lame. I'm sure players are getting tired of it. Have the most respect for him probably, but hate is act. Time for someone new.

Mr. White
11-25-2009, 10:06 AM
Kris Brown is one of "Gary's Kids." We all know that Gary's Kids have feelings and Gary wouldn't dare do anything to hurt them.

It doesn't matter how bad he performs....he ain't going anywhere.

Kaiser Toro
11-25-2009, 10:10 AM
Kris Brown is like the Tiki Idol, from the Brady Bunch, that Kubiak found in Casserly's Cave.

HOU-TEX
11-25-2009, 10:12 AM
Kris Brown is like the Tiki Idol, from the Brady Bunch, that Kubiak found in Casserly's Cave.

Sad day in America when I know the exact episode you're talking about.

Texan_Bill
11-25-2009, 10:15 AM

Guilty.... *hangs head low*

Runner
11-25-2009, 10:35 AM

Hmmmm....

Was that the same one Magnum had to put back?

MannyFresh
11-25-2009, 12:23 PM

Crazy and saw the 'idol' on Robot Chicken last week....thats spooky

Livid13
11-25-2009, 12:33 PM
This is very true. Kris Brown was clutch for us when we were going 4-12, 5-11, 6-10, and already well out of the playoff race.

I don't know whether your sarcasm is intentional, or not. My POINT was that he has been a GREAT kicker, during his tenure as a Texan. The W/L columns are irrelevant. In fact, one might argue that his success as a place kicker, during losing seasons, added more weight to each kick.

Livid13
11-25-2009, 12:37 PM

No, they got rid of Vanderjagt because he was becoming a DISTRACTION to the team. Don't you remember is public gaffes and even drawing the ire of Manning? Sorry to double post, I should have edited...

HoustonFrog
11-25-2009, 12:38 PM
I don't know whether your sarcasm is intentional, or not. My POINT was that he has been a GREAT kicker, during his tenure as a Texan. The W/L columns are irrelevant. In fact, one might argue that his success as a place kicker, during losing seasons, added more weight to each kick.

No, when you are playing out the string, every expects nothing and missing a kick means nothing. When you are playing for a playoff spot, those kicks add up and that is where he has faltered. I'm just amazed that Kubiak has so much loyalty to guys like a kicker. From what I've read and heard on the radio he has also struggled in pregames and practices. Considering each came is hard fought and can come down to a kicker, you'd think that just getting someone producing is the key.

Norg
11-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Maybe we should get ohico cinco in here to be our kicker and WR on the side

SheTexan
11-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Hummmm!! Who won the Colts game for us last year!!? How quickly we all forget. He was our hero then, now some of you guys are wanting to kick him to the curb because he's in a slump. Let's try giving him some support, let him know we believe he can repeat what he did last year if push comes to shove. IF KB has lost his mojo, he will be the first one to say so.

brakos82
11-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Hummmm!! Who won the Colts game for us last year!!? How quickly we all forget. He was our hero then, now some of you guys are wanting to kick him to the curb because he's in a slump. Let's try giving him some support, let him know we believe he can repeat what he did last year if push comes to shove. IF KB has lost his mojo, he will be the first one to say so.

I think you mean 3 years ago.

Double Barrel
11-25-2009, 05:09 PM
“(I’m) the reason we lose the game,” Brown said after Monday’s loss dropped the Texans to 5-5. “That’s hard for me to take. I need to go figure out what the heck is going on, and I need to figure it out pretty quick.”

I hate to say it, but it sounds like KB is already admitting to losing his mojo.

As far as piling on, it is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league. We would not have won that Colts game if it wasn't for Stacy Mack, and he's nowhere to be seen. Heck, even HWSNBN made a play at the end to put Brown in position to kick. So give them props for that accomplishment, but we can't live in the past.

Hopefully Brown can put these two games behind him, because we've still got 6 game left to play and the chance still exists. We need him to be focused and ready, because we never know what is going to happen in any given game.

Kaiser Toro
11-25-2009, 05:36 PM
I hate to say it, but it sounds like KB is already admitting to losing his mojo.

As far as piling on, it is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league. We would not have won that Colts game if it wasn't for Stacy Mack, and he's nowhere to be seen. Heck, even HWSNBN made a play at the end to put Brown in position to kick. So give them props for that accomplishment, but we can't live in the past.

Hopefully Brown can put these two games behind him, because we've still got 6 game left to play and the chance still exists. We need him to be focused and ready, because we never know what is going to happen in any given game.

Ron Dayne?

To piggyback on your last statement, and I may be reaching for the Shiny Happy Gates, but I feel the Texans can beat anyone in the NFL, and have never felt that way about a team in this franchise's history. Of course that takes me to a whole other level of frustration. Can we just fire Brown, and call it a day? :kitten:

Corrosion
11-25-2009, 05:39 PM

He's missed 3 of his last 4. Sometimes sh!t just happens .... Lets hope he can get his together and they can string some W's together and make a run.

One a birght note - Schaub has put the team in position to win almost every game this season - They are a play or two a game away from being 9-1 rather than 5-5.

Double Barrel
11-25-2009, 06:02 PM
Ron Dayne?

To piggyback on your last statement, and I may be reaching for the Shiny Happy Gates, but I feel the Texans can beat anyone in the NFL, and have never felt that way about a team in this franchise's history. Of course that takes me to a whole other level of frustration. Can we just fire Brown, and call it a day? :kitten:

lol! yeah, that Dayne guy!! d'oh

I feel the same way about being an 'any given Sunday' team. I just hope it's one of our good Sundays next week!

Corrosion
11-25-2009, 07:01 PM
lol! yeah, that Dayne guy!! d'oh

I feel the same way about being an 'any given Sunday' team. I just hope it's one of our good Sundays next week!

They probably need to win out to have a realistic chance at the post season - Lets hope those good Sunday's are every week for the rest of the season.

Double Barrel
11-25-2009, 07:09 PM
They probably need to win out to have a realistic chance at the post season - Lets hope those good Sunday's are every week for the rest of the season.

yeah, you're probably right considering the AFC wildcard race. With two awesome teams left to play out of six, I think our first winning season is what we will end up having to settle for in the end. And that is assuming that we beat the Jaguars, Dolphins, Rams, and Seahawks. (Why did 8-8 just flash through my mind?!)

Corrosion
11-25-2009, 07:38 PM
yeah, you're probably right considering the AFC wildcard race. With two awesome teams left to play out of six, I think our first winning season is what we will end up having to settle for in the end. And that is assuming that we beat the Jaguars, Dolphins, Rams, and Seahawks. (Why did 8-8 just flash through my mind?!)

Pretty sickening thoughts considering how close this team is to 9-1.

Seems like they ALMOST do enough to win every time out .... this aint horse shoes nor hand grenades.