PDA

View Full Version : Casserly to Browns? Rumor

texdawg
11-20-2009, 06:58 AM
There has been some noise about Casserly being interviewed by the Browns for a GM type postion. Can you guys/gals provide any info on him. What did you think of his drafts, how did he get along with coaches, did he have a plan?

Do you think he would help the Browns? If he is chosen, what should Browns fans expect?

I've searched through old threads and get mixed results. Thanks for the input.

kastofsna
11-20-2009, 07:02 AM
were the results mixed? i'm pretty sure you'll get only sympathy.

Thorn
11-20-2009, 07:09 AM
He didn't do a good job here, I can't think of anyone who would defend Casserly on this board. I couldn't make a guess as to how he'd be for the Browns though. He's had success in the league in the past, just not for the Texans. While with the Texans, he made some really bone head draft picks, that's for sure. Kubiac and Smiths drafts are light years ahead of what Casserly did.

I wish you Brown fans good luck with your team. As a Houston pro football fan, I know full well what it's like to follow a train wreck for years on end.

texdawg
11-20-2009, 07:11 AM
I live in Livingston, Tx and watch all Texans games while listening to radio broadcasts of the Browns. I never did like that the Texans did not build an O-line for Carr. Thought that was a waste. Just curious what you guys think. Really liked some of his later drafts.

pbat488
11-20-2009, 07:11 AM
I hope for the sake of the Cleveland Browns organization you guys go in a different direction. Casserly set the Texans back a couple years with some of his bone-headed drafting and other GM duties.

The only thing I can thank him for is not screwing up when he had the chance to and selecting Andre.

Thorn
11-20-2009, 07:17 AM
I hope for the sake of the Cleveland Browns organization you guys go in a different direction. Casserly set the Texans back a couple years with some of his bone-headed drafting and other GM duties.

The only thing I can thank him for is not screwing up when he had the chance to and selecting Andre.

Casserly was still GM when they took Mario over VY and Reggie Bust. That was a real shit storm back then! LOLOLsss

pbat488
11-20-2009, 07:20 AM
Casserly was still GM when they took Mario over VY and Reggie Bust. That was a real shit storm back then! LOLOLsss

True, but I'm in the boat that believes that was more of a Kubiak decision with the knowledge that Casserly was most likely on his way out of the picture.

Thorn
11-20-2009, 07:23 AM
True, but I'm in the boat that believes that was more of a Kubiak decision with the knowledge that Casserly was most likely on his way out of the picture.

I've always wondered about that. I know we've discussed that many times on this board as to who's decision it was, but has there actually been anyone in the Texans organization that actually provided us with anything? Kubiac and Smith continue to draft defensive players high in the draft, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was Kubiac's decision.

texdawg
11-20-2009, 07:24 AM
Besides Mario in 2006 he also selected DeMeco Ryans and Owen Daniels. That draft turned out pretty good. Was it a fluke? His other drafts seemed to be a lot of misses.

Thorn
11-20-2009, 07:28 AM
Besides Mario in 2006 he also selected DeMeco Ryans and Owen Daniels. That draft turned out pretty good. Was it a fluke? His other drafts seemed to be a lot of misses.

The team of Smith and Kubiac have drafted light years ahead of the team of Casserly and Capers, that's for damn sure. As to the draft in 2006 which was Casserly and Kubiac, I'm not sure anyone knows for certain.

Texan_Bill
11-20-2009, 07:42 AM
Casserly was handed the Redskins team that was very successful (see Bobby Beathard). He did nothing but set this organization back (see Jason Babin et al). As far as the 2006 draft, personally I believe he was on his way out and really didn't have the much influence on who was drafted (but again, that's only speculation. No one really knows).

In short, I would feel really bad for the Browns if Casserly is hired.

nunusguy
11-20-2009, 07:46 AM

Right. And don't forget he also gets credit for drafting the best player this franchise has ever had back in the 2003 Draft. Clevland could do far worse than Casserly.

gwallaia
11-20-2009, 08:10 AM
There has been some noise about Casserly being interviewed by the Browns for a GM type postion. Can you guys/gals provide any info on him. What did you think of his drafts, how did he get along with coaches, did he have a plan?

Do you think he would help the Browns? If he is chosen, what should Browns fans expect?

Casserly is an incompetent boob. You may not believe it now, but Casserly will make the Browns even worse.

BigBull17
11-20-2009, 08:25 AM
Right. And don't forget he also gets credit for drafting the best player this franchise has ever had back in the 2003 Draft. Clevland could do far worse than Casserly.

I don't know how really. Al Davis? Cass was very bad at what he did. When he wasnt making bad drafts, he gave out horrible money.

TEXANS84
11-20-2009, 08:27 AM
If the Browns want 8 more years of misery (4 with the team, 4 trying to recover) then by all means hire the guy.

gtexan02
11-20-2009, 08:44 AM
Casserly:
Recommend back head coaching candidates
Drafted poorly
Signed terrible FAs to enormous contracts

what else?

TEXANS84
11-20-2009, 08:49 AM
The Todd Wade signing
Tony Hollings
Phillip Buchanan
Gary Walker and David Carr extension
Where is Robaire Smith?
Stacey Mack was awesome

Makes me vurp just thinking about it.

Texan_Bill
11-20-2009, 08:53 AM
Casserly:
Recommend back head coaching candidates
Drafted poorly
Signed terrible FAs to enormous contracts

what else?

The Todd Wade signing
Tony Hollings
Phillip Buchanan
Gary Walker and David Carr extension
Where is Robaire Smith?
Stacey Mack was awesome

Makes me vurp just thinking about it.

:thinking: Man, no wonder we sucked!!!

infantrycak
11-20-2009, 09:36 AM
Really liked some of his later drafts.

Which later drafts are you referring to? If you are talking about 2006, see below.

I've always wondered about that. I know we've discussed that many times on this board as to who's decision it was, but has there actually been anyone in the Texans organization that actually provided us with anything? Kubiac and Smith continue to draft defensive players high in the draft, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was Kubiac's decision.

McClain did a piece way back then explaining the process on Mario and that Kubiak made the decision. For straight out of the horse's mouth, Kubiak later said about Owen Daniels that Casserly had convinced him to take OD. That tells me the power relationship for that draft - Casserly making recommendations to Kubiak who made the decisions.

Prior to that there really aren't too many picks you can even think about pointing to as great analysis.

Pitts turned out pretty well but was taken one spot in front of Clinton Portis.
AJ turned out awesome but who would Casserly have taken if both Rogers and AJ were available?
DD was good, but Casserly didn't expect him to become what he did.
Dunta has been good, but there were a bunch of stars taken after him - Big Ben with the next pick although QB "wasn't the issue" at the time LOL, Vilma, Lee Evens, Tommie Harris, Vince Wilfork, Shawn Andrews, Will Smith, Stephen Jackson.

Almost more of a blind squirrel finding a nut than any indication of talent. Even more indicting is the number of players from his first four drafts still in the league. Out of 37 picks, 7 still in the league with 3 as starters.

kastofsna
11-20-2009, 09:57 AM
i think you're reaching a bit too hard there to prove your point, infantry. whether he knew certain players would be as good as they were or not (a point you can't really prove anyway), the point is he drafted them. he may have taken Charles Rogers over Andre Johnson...but, he didn't.

pbat488
11-20-2009, 09:59 AM
Where is Robaire Smith?

I think he is on the Browns now. Last Monday night game against Baltimore I thought I heard them talk about him a bit, not 100% positive though.

If he is there, reuniting Casserly with his "best" FA acquisition is a match made in heaven!!! :sarcasm:

Texan_Bill
11-20-2009, 10:35 AM
I think he is on the Browns now. Last Monday night game against Baltimore I thought I heard them talk about him a bit, not 100% positive though.

If he is there, reuniting Casserly with his "best" FA acquisition is a match made in heaven!!! :sarcasm:

Be 100% sure because you head it correctly. I remember thinking to myself "ahhhh, that's were Smith wound up".

infantrycak
11-20-2009, 10:41 AM
i think you're reaching a bit too hard there to prove your point, infantry. whether he knew certain players would be as good as they were or not (a point you can't really prove anyway), the point is he drafted them. he may have taken Charles Rogers over Andre Johnson...but, he didn't.

No, I think most of those were good picks, I was just putting it in perspective. Pitts was a classic building the trenches pick and has been a very good just shy of pro-bowl quality player. The AJ/Rogers question intrigues me because I was in the minority in 2003 wanting him over Rogers who was the much more hyped player - so it makes me curious what Casserly would have done, Once Rogers was gone, it was a no-brainer. There was also a report at the time that Casserly planned to take McGahee over either WR until he blew his knee. DD was probably his best straight up talent for spot pick he ever made, until encouraging Kubiak to get Owen Daniels. Dunta has worked out but the pick kind of came out of nowhere in the days leading up to the draft while for the months before folks were debating mainly the trenches with Shawn Andrews, Will Smith, Wilfork, Harris.

Like I said, the bigger indictment is all the picks that aren't in the NFL anymore. A decent GM should leave you with more than 4 good picks out of 37.

painekiller
11-20-2009, 10:58 AM

Who is worse than Casserly? Maybe Al Davis, but that is it.

I would be a better GM than Casserly.

When in doubt go SEC or big school player, Casserly would instead go small school swing for the fences types.

texasguy346
11-20-2009, 11:05 AM

It was my understanding that the Ryans pick was largely due to the LB coach pulling hard for him. I certainly hope for the sake of the Browns fans that CC will not be their next GM. There is no doubt that at one time he was a very good GM, but I think those days are over. There is a reason he hasn't found an NFL gig since being fired from the Texans. The Browns would be much better off going in a different direction.

infantrycak
11-20-2009, 11:12 AM
It was my understanding that the Ryans pick was largely due to the LB coach pulling hard for him. I certainly hope for the sake of the Browns fans that CC will not be their next GM. There is no doubt that at one time he was a very good GM, but I think those days are over. There is a reason he hasn't found an NFL gig since being fired from the Texans. The Browns would be much better off going in a different direction.

The LB coach was probably a big advocate in putting him on their draft board as high as he was. After the draft Kubiak said they had zero expectation he would fall to the 2nd so when he did they put the card in immediately. I don't think Casserly even had time to say "hey that DeMeco kid is still available."

texdawg
11-20-2009, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the input. Its always better to hear from fans that are closer to the situation than being force fed the crap from the media.

Fans from the Jets also warned us about Mangini. They were proven right.

I'll pass your comments on to Browns fans that are interested. Thanks again.

HoustonFrog
11-20-2009, 11:51 AM
Casserly is/was a moron. He got too much credit for the Redskins teams, ran with it to get the Texans job and then made horrible decisions here. All the while being the surliest guy ever interviewed because he assumed he was smarter than everyone else. I can't stand that putz.

Texecutioner
11-20-2009, 11:53 AM
If the Browns want 8 more years of misery (4 with the team, 4 trying to recover) then by all means hire the guy.

This pretty much sums it up.

brakos82
11-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Drop the 'C' and the 'erly' and you should get an idea.

nero THE zero
11-20-2009, 12:20 PM
For as bad as Casserly was, sometimes decisions get misattributed to him.

I can't tell you what was his decision through the course of Texans' history and what wasn't, but his four years here weren't totally void of good picks. He made some horrible trades, he made some horrible picks, and overall horrible decisions. But, word from the inside is that he would often be talked into picking players that he did not want to pick (Jason Babin being a prime example of this.) I guess you could fault him for being too soft in stance, but I often wonder if it would have been as bad if he'd been more assertive in the drafting/signing process.

That said, by his fourth year here the team and the franchise were one of the worst in the league. My intention is not to absolve or minimize the poor decisions Casserly made, and there was a whole lot of them to be sure. Just keep in mind, there were a lot of things that went on that we don't know about.

beerlover
11-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Stated this numours times we should have empathy for Brown Fans knowing all too well its a terrible feeling when your team stinks it up every weekend, the question here does Casserly stop the bleeding? Capers is DC up in GB now, has moved around since Houston, maybe learned a thing or two? I could see them two hooking up again & try to exercise there collective closet of Texan ghosts, maybe Cleveland would be a better fit? :turtle:

Texan_Bill
11-20-2009, 01:53 PM
A decent GM should leave you with more than 4 good picks out of 37.

OUCH!!! That stings.

Second Honeymoon
11-20-2009, 02:27 PM
I live in Livingston, Tx and watch all Texans games while listening to radio broadcasts of the Browns. I never did like that the Texans did not build an O-line for Carr. Thought that was a waste. Just curious what you guys think. Really liked some of his later drafts.

you must watch ESPN for your news. Carr had an O-Line. Carr just sucked.

Oh, and my God have mercy on your franchise if Casserley is your next GM. Worst GM Ever.

Hervoyel
11-20-2009, 02:32 PM
I would not wish Charlie Casserly on Browns fans. They've been through enough already. I really want to see that franchise find some success. Charlie is not the way to get there.

Texan_Bill
11-20-2009, 02:33 PM

Ask Carolina fan. We tried to warn them. Alas, it fell on deaf ears and they had to find out the hard way when the Panthers had to sign 67 year old Testaverde to finish the season.

Second Honeymoon
11-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Ask Carolina fan. We tried to warn them. Alas, it fell on deaf ears and they had to find out the hard way when the Panthers had to sign 67 year old Testaverde to finish the season.

yup, he brought the Fresno Tuck to Carolina. it was in full effect.

infantrycak
11-22-2009, 08:06 AM
CLEVELAND -- Former Seattle and Green Bay coach Mike Holmgren is interested in working for the struggling Cleveland Browns.

Holmgren said on his weekly radio show on Seattle's KJR that he has not yet spoken to Browns owner Randy Lerner, who is looking for a "serious, credible leader" football authority to run his struggling team.

But Holmgren did indicate he would welcome the chance to take on a rebuilding project like the 1-8 Browns.

"It takes a tremendous amount of energy, but there is a certain appeal there," the 61-year-old Holmgren. "There's something in my personality, too, that taking on those types of projects, that kind of gets me going. But there's a lot of work to do.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4677545&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines)

Mike, Mike. WCO in Cleveland? Sit on the $20 mil you have. Now Holmgren would totally treat Casserly like the rug you put in front of the toilet to catch the dribbles.

Lucky
11-22-2009, 11:39 AM
The AJ/Rogers question intrigues me because I was in the minority in 2003 wanting him over Rogers who was the much more hyped player - so it makes me curious what Casserly would have done, Once Rogers was gone, it was a no-brainer.
I don't think Rogers was ever considered by the Texans. After Rogers failed his drug test at the combine, he had no shot at becoming a Texan. I remember they brought in Jordan Gross, DeWayne Robertson, and Terrell Suggs for visits in 2003. And I vaguely remember hearing Casserly on the Channel 13 post draft show that Robertson (the bust DT) was #2 on the Texans draft board.

Casserly made the draft picks for the Texans up until the 2006 draft. But, there was plenty of arm twisting by the coaching staff in the prior seasons. Babin was hand picked by Capers and Fangio. Travis Johnson was a Capers pick, too. Chris Palmer loved Carr (bad pick) and Andre Johnson (great pick). Essentially, Casserly is an administrator and league insider with zero football savvy. As long as he's not making personnel decisions or is involved in contract or trade negotiations, he's a great selection as a NFL GM. :clown:

sakebomb
11-22-2009, 07:32 PM

I bet they would have taken Charles Rodgers if we drafted second that year. Thank God we were #3.

Hagar
11-22-2009, 10:17 PM
Don't forget the dead money problems we had under the salary cap when Casserly left. This is the only real link I could find.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31964&highlight=Casserly+dead+money

Carr Bombed
11-22-2009, 10:23 PM

:woot2 LMAO... Are we really going to give Casserly props for not screwing up that pick? The guy would've picked Charles Rodgers if Matt Millen didn't. Matt Millen saved him from further embarrassment.

Props Casserly......you weren't the worst G.M. in the league during your time in Houston.......just the second worst G.M. in the league :rolleyes: Landing a stud player with the #3 pick in the draft is what you're SUPPOSED TO DO (especially when some dimwit already clears the biggest draft bust off the board ahead of you)...there is nothing special about that. Cleveland couldn't do much worse than Charlie Casserly...he was absolutely horrible here. He had horrible draft after horrible draft and was one of the few G.M.s that I've ever seen land a bad team that was never ever competitive into salary cap hell. It's nearly impossible to put a cellar dweller into salary cap hell, because no players on the roster are worth keeping when you're that bad. You have to suck at all aspects of "team management" to be able to pull that off. Talent evaluation, trade acquisitions, and free agency. Charlie Casserly was the trifecta of suck.

Carr Bombed
11-22-2009, 10:43 PM
he's a great selection as a NFL GM. :clown:

LOL, the clown :lol: It reminds me of this old classic...

http://www.bangcartoon.com/2005/firstworst.htm

Vinny
11-22-2009, 10:43 PM
Scary being a Browns fan when they are considering Charley Casserly, the guy that couldn't figure out email. What's next? Are they going to call Matt Millen and get one of them to take a smaller salary? I can see them bringing in Marty Mornhinweg to coach the team in due time.

Vinny
11-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Essentially, Casserly is an administrator and league insider with zero football savvy. As long as he's not making personnel decisions or is involved in contract or trade negotiations, he's a great selection as a NFL GM. :clown:

LOL, the clown :lol: It reminds me of this old classic...

http://www.bangcartoon.com/2005/firstworst.htm
Bang captured Casserly perfectly. hover your mouse over the clown. :snowday:

Carr Bombed
11-22-2009, 11:17 PM
Scary being a Browns fan when they are considering Charley Casserly, the guy that couldn't figure out email. What's next? Are they going to call Matt Millen and get one of them to take a smaller salary? I can see them bringing in Marty Mornhinweg to coach the team in due time.

Making Charlie Casserly your next hire would be the equivalent of putting up with Romeo Crennel for 4 long years and then firing him, then turning around and hiring Eric Mangini from the same exact coaching tree, and then expecting drastically different results ...Oh wait, they already did that. That franchise has no direction or plan whatsoever. Honestly they're just as poorly ran as the Raiders right now.

Heath Shuler
11-22-2009, 11:27 PM

I've searched through old threads and get mixed results. Thanks for the input.
Keep this number handy if he infects your franchise:
http://www.dosomething.org/files/imagecache/preview/files/pictures/actionguide/suicide%20prevention.jpg

texanhead08
11-23-2009, 03:53 PM
You mean its possible for the Browns to be worse than they are.