PDA

View Full Version : Dre on the cover of ESPN Magazine

False Start
11-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Link (http://www.houstontexans.com/assets/news/dre_article_ESPN.pdf)

I'll be picking up one or 2. :cool:

Texan_Bill
11-19-2009, 06:42 PM
"Instead, Johnson snot-bubbled Hays....."

Awesome!!

JDizzle
11-19-2009, 06:54 PM
Excuse me, wtf is Fred Bennett doing in there?

False Start
11-19-2009, 06:58 PM
"Instead, Johnson snot-bubbled Hays....."

Awesome!!

I saw that too...... :heh:

I love this pic:

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/team-1.jpg

Fox
11-19-2009, 06:59 PM
Interesting article, particularly the part about Melton (his uncle and adviser) relaying to the author that 'if the Texans don't turn the corner soon, there's a plan in place to force a move elsewhere, the details of which he declined to reveal.'

Txn_in_FL
11-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Nice find. The idea of seeing him play in another team's uni makes my stomach churn. This team needs to start making a push and it needs to start on Monday.

V3rm0nt3r
11-19-2009, 08:22 PM
am i the only one with a bad feeling after reading this? i already had a bad feeling about the rest of the season (just a gut thing) and with Dre's uncle saying that he's close to leaving... man this is getting pretty scary.

Austrian
11-19-2009, 08:27 PM
am i the only one with a bad feeling after reading this? i already had a bad feeling about the rest of the season (just a gut thing) and with Dre's uncle saying that he's close to leaving... man this is getting pretty scary.

No I was feeling bad about it as well. The Texans better start winning!!:texflag:

TexanBacker93
11-19-2009, 10:20 PM
The article left a bad taste in my mouth. It's time to make the push. Statement type win against the Titans.

redwhiteANDblue
11-19-2009, 10:27 PM
If Andre leaves I'm going to jump off a cliff

Big Lou
11-19-2009, 10:40 PM
As they say winning cures everything, but I sure don't like that kind of talk from AJ. I understand, but I don't like it and it scares the he'll out me!

New_Texans
11-20-2009, 12:13 AM

You noticed it too lol!

Brisco_County
11-20-2009, 12:29 AM
This is a big deal. This thread title should've addressed the fact that we're in very real danger of losing the best receiver in the NFL.

Andre said that he didn't think it would take seven years to get to the playoffs when he was drafted. Just think how much further along the team would be if it weren't for Casserly drafting sub par talent during those seven years. And now that we finally have the right GM, coaching staff, and personnel (mostly) on the field, Andre is starting to reach his breaking point.

Hopefully 2010 --not 2009-- is the deadline for this "forced move." That would be fair for both sides, considering the team's current progression.

GuerillaBlack
11-20-2009, 12:58 AM
It doesn't look like Andre said that. Just his uncle. Besides, I doubt he leaves. The Texans are finally making progress. I mean, we do have the youngest starting lineup in the NFL. They are all growing together. We should be 10-6 this year at the least.

StevieWonder
11-20-2009, 01:03 AM
He still has three years left on his current deal so I wouldn't worry too much about him leaving this offseason. If the Texans don't make the playoffs in 2010, well... :panic:

powerfuldragon
11-20-2009, 01:11 AM
dude's my favorite active athlete, and if he sticks with the texans, it'll be of all time. no hesitation.

Brisco_County
11-20-2009, 03:08 AM
It doesn't look like Andre said that. Just his uncle. Besides, I doubt he leaves. The Texans are finally making progress. I mean, we do have the youngest starting lineup in the NFL. They are all growing together. We should be 10-6 this year at the least.

I wish you were right, but the fact that a conditional plan for a "forced move" even exists is what matters, regardless of the relevance or involvement of Uncle Melton. Also, this plan is revealed when there are three years left on the contract. If the plan is a new development, then it's something to be very concerned about. If it was drawn two years ago, then it might be media sensationalism.

Either way, it's not comforting that the condition rests on a playoff berth. This is an inconsistent team, and 10-6 still doesn't guarantee a wildcard right now.

LonerATO
11-20-2009, 04:20 AM
What is he going to do sit on the bench? Andre is the mold for how players handle themselves. Lets say they force the Texans hand and he wants a trade? What would the Texans get from the trade? I hate it when ESPN or any other magazine writes this kind of crap up and it could be true and actually be Andre's way of letting the team know whats up.

beerlover
11-20-2009, 05:48 AM
You guys kill me sometimes, at least we have enjoyed his services for seven years, how do you think the Lions feel :brickwall:

If this is the worst case scenero we should except it, be happy & both move on. Funny thing however, there is plenty of upside waiting to be unleashed, first we need to put an end to VY ever being the player that Mario Williams has become Monday Night, then excercise some Colt demons, the rest should take care of itself.

Still think the Texans are one draft away from a premier OL & RB to forge through deep into the postseason but it does set up nicely over the next couple years so we can reatain Andres services & keep him a Texan for his entire career, how cool would that be :cool:

ATXtexanfan
11-20-2009, 07:28 AM
Hadn't read the article but the tone of this thread is gonna keep me away. If it's true I don't blame him. As of right now he's our barry sanders. Great talent in a bad place.

Kaiser Toro
11-20-2009, 07:38 AM
I think the article is right on, actually refreshing to see some honesty.

ChampionTexan
11-20-2009, 08:51 AM
I wish you were right, but the fact that a conditional plan for a "forced move" even exists is what matters, regardless of the relevance or involvement of Uncle Melton. Also, this plan is revealed when there are three years left on the contract. If the plan is a new development, then it's something to be very concerned about. If it was drawn two years ago, then it might be media sensationalism.

Either way, it's not comforting that the condition rests on a playoff berth. This is an inconsistent team, and 10-6 still doesn't guarantee a wildcard right now.

I agree that the tone of the article sounds less than wonderful (based on comments in this thread), but a couple of things to remember about flat out losing him.

First, we've seen time and time again that unless you're a franchise QB, it's almost impossible to force NFL teams to do anything they don't want to. The best (recent) example of this is Chad Johnson/Ochocinco. Yeah, he wasn't one of the 2 or 3 best WR's in the NFL, but he was very arguably top 10, and the fact that AJ is better and more important to the Texans than he was/is to the Bengals only makes it less likely that a departure will be forced. Another example of this is that coming into this season, both Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall were extremely unhappy with their lot in life, and both expressed a great desire to be somewhere other than Denver. The end result of that was that Cutler's now in Chitown, and Marshall's still in Denver (and apparently pretty okay with that fact).

Secondly, as much as I love AJ (and I think the vast majority of those reading this thread concur), we still love him mainly because he's a Texan, and if the unthinkable happens (me being wrong about AJ not going anywhere), life will go on. Right now, there's 31 NFL teams that Andre Johnson does not play for, and every one of them seems to have found a way to cope with that fact.

GuerillaBlack
11-20-2009, 09:16 AM

If we are 10-6 and don't make the playoffs, that's still progress. I doubt he tries to leave if we go 10-6.

No More 8-8's
11-20-2009, 09:38 AM
The title infers to the cover of ESPN magazine. Does anyone have a pic of that?

El Tejano
11-20-2009, 10:33 AM
That's why it is important for Andre to step up in a game like the ones we are going to have these next 3 weeks and it starts with beating Tenn. This game means more now, so he needs to be out there getting it done. I'm not saying he never has, but we need our stars to shine in games like this. Warren Moon used to be awesome but when a game like this presented itself he would choke. Guys that come through in the clutch like this are on a different level and eventually become champions.

And to add on to this thread, can you imagine what we could get for an Andre Johnson?

False Start
11-20-2009, 10:37 AM
The title infers to the cover of ESPN magazine. Does anyone have a pic of that?

Just a teaser, from HT.com

http://assets.houstontexans.com/uploads/list_items/C36B61946AB94672B3722732D7369802.jpg

hollywood_texan
11-20-2009, 10:56 AM
If AJ is able to get the trade process started, I don't see how it gets done because three things have to happen simulatenously:

1. AJ has to find a team he wants to go to,
2. Texans are willing to trade with that specific team, and then
3. The specific team the Texans want to trade with the Texans is willing to give commensurate value.

We are probably talking about 3 or 4 teams at best that this deal could worked out with. Any of those teams in the AFC would probably be immediately excluded by the Texans.

So where would AJ want to go in the NFC? The Saints look like a good fit with Drew Brees as the QB and the current state of the team. The Falcons maybe, but that is still a growing process?

With all that said, AJ's point is spot on and the Texans as a team and organization have to move forward.

JB
11-20-2009, 11:05 AM
And to add on to this thread, can you imagine what we could get for an Andre Johnson?

NO! And I do not want to find out!

b0ng
11-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Andre Johnson is a man and deserves to play on the biggest stage. If that is with the Texans fantastic, if it is not with the Texans I will not fault a man with such drive and determination from seeking out a team who will give him the opportunity.

Basically I'm hoping that he's putting the staff on notice that he does not plan to wallow in mediocrity his entire career.

Hervoyel
11-20-2009, 11:47 AM
I think the article is right on, actually refreshing to see some honesty.

I agree. Why would anyone be surprised that Andre doesn't want to lose forever and never have a chance to even compete for a ring. If he leaves following this season or next it will genuinely be the fault of the Houston Texans.

I would hate to see it happen but I'd understand why he left completely. I'd even agree with him. He's done everything short of drag the team single handedly in to the postseason. A little help over the years would have been nice. Everybody has their limit after all.

gtexan02
11-20-2009, 11:51 AM
Since 2002, there have only been 5 superbowl champions. Pats have 3, Steelers have 2 in that time frame.
That means that since 2002, 27 teams have not won the superbowl.

Its hard to win a ring in this league. I hope he realizes that this team is on the up, not the decline, and that we have a lot of young talent. Unless he goes to the Pats or Steelers, the odds seem just as good with the Texans as with the rest of the teams

GuerillaBlack
11-20-2009, 11:55 AM
http://mms.businesswire.com/bwapps/mediaserver/ViewMedia?mgid=205880&vid=4

stevn8r
11-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Since 2002, there have only been 5 superbowl champions. Pats have 3, Steelers have 2 in that time frame.

Its hard to win a ring in this league. I hope he realizes that this team is on the up, not the decline, and that we have a lot of young talent. Unless he goes to the Pats or Steelers, the odds seem just as good with the Texans as with the rest of the teams

AMEN!!!
It is VERY hard to win the "big game at the end of the season"
Last year Dre seamed more disappointed than he does this year...
I know I drink a LOT of koolaid, but The Texans have as good a shot as any over the next few seasons to make a run at it! Hell, better than most! I just hope that happens BEFORE we worry about his contract.

Malloy
11-20-2009, 12:10 PM
BUST... and injury prone! ;)

JWarren14
11-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Good for Dre, he doesn't get a lot of attention in the media.

I hope that will change when he bests Fitz's performance in last year's playoffs this year!

nunusguy
11-20-2009, 02:51 PM
AJs pitch and catch buddy has his picture on the front page of the weekend edition of USAToday. It's just a small picture in upper left-hand corner with the caption "Texans' low-key Top Gun". I got a copy but haven't read the story inside yet.

Brisco_County
11-21-2009, 03:54 AM
I agree that the tone of the article sounds less than wonderful (based on comments in this thread), but a couple of things to remember about flat out losing him.

First, we've seen time and time again that unless you're a franchise QB, it's almost impossible to force NFL teams to do anything they don't want to. The best (recent) example of this is Chad Johnson/Ochocinco. Yeah, he wasn't one of the 2 or 3 best WR's in the NFL, but he was very arguably top 10, and the fact that AJ is better and more important to the Texans than he was/is to the Bengals only makes it less likely that a departure will be forced. Another example of this is that coming into this season, both Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall were extremely unhappy with their lot in life, and both expressed a great desire to be somewhere other than Denver. The end result of that was that Cutler's now in Chitown, and Marshall's still in Denver (and apparently pretty okay with that fact).

The way that the Ochocinco situation concluded does give me comfort. He wanted out of there badly, but couldn't force anyone's hand. Considering that scenario along with the progress made by the team, we'll probably be ok.

That's what I'm thinking too. Thanks for deactivating my panic button. Now I can get some sleep.

AZwhoopr
11-21-2009, 04:47 AM
Used the awesome pic in my sig. :)

Spled
11-21-2009, 07:37 AM
There's not a lot he can do to break a contract other than not show up or start acting like a jerk on the sidelines and at practice like TO and Brandon.

nunusguy
11-21-2009, 08:07 AM
I'm an AJ fan for sure, but the reality is he was wired in such a way that he's
had the very good fortune, really just the dumb luck to be a beneficiary of a system which has made him a multi-millionare many times over. Other wise he's probably playing football for burgers and beers in his native Miami on weekends while working some shi@-hole job for very menial wages during the week.
Anyway I don't feel sorry for him if he never plays for a playoff team and while I think at 28 he's now at the top of his game he's also just too close to 30 to get real high draft-picks from another NFL team in a trade.

infantrycak
11-21-2009, 09:23 AM
I think at 28 he's now at the top of his game he's also just too close to 30 to get real high draft-picks from another NFL team in a trade.

30 works generally for RB's, 35 for WR's. AJ is no where near done.

GuerillaBlack
11-21-2009, 11:15 AM

What I'm saying. With the way AJ is built and how he plays, he could go on until 40. Still, he has a long time left (barring injury).

gary
11-21-2009, 12:24 PM
I love AJ and think he is a beast but if he goes then he goes. Life goes on he has played well for a team that has taken years to become a respected team and they still aren't quite there yet in order to make a true run at the SB. And while there might never be another AJ that is what the NFL draft is for drafting replacements. The fact is once his contract is up with the Texans he'll be a free agent and has his right to go and explore other options that are out there for him and I think there will be a lot of offers even though he'll then be on the the wrong side of thirty. That is going to be out of our power/control and the ball will be in his court and in his court only once that happens. Now it is in the Texans power to play well and try and prove to AJ that they getting up to true contender level and hopefully try to get AJ to either resign long term before his contract is even up or right afterwards but once he signs with another team that's it he is gone no questions asked. See you later nice knowing you but right the ball is still in the Texans court because AJ is a Texan for now and they must show him that they have what it takes to make a legit run or close to it in order for AJ to think about staying put but again, whatever he does once he's not a Texan anymore he does. I know one thing for sure I'll always love him and cheer him on no matter who he plays for I just won't route for his new team unless it's a team that I like and they aren't playing the Texans of course. You just gotta love you some AJ no matter what. GO AJ YOU ROCK

nunusguy
11-21-2009, 01:02 PM

I dunno 'bout that because the WR position is where pure top-end speed
is a premium characteristic when rating a players value. Matter of fact the only position where speed is as importatn is probably CB, and that's because they are the ones who have to cover the WRs.
Because of his tremendous conditioning and work-ethic I wouldn't be surprised if he plays well into his 30s, but he probably just won't retain his speed that late into his career and therefor won't be the threat he is now while still in his 20s.

Norg
11-21-2009, 01:13 PM
if we trade AJ i would want at least two 1st round picks ..... and Get a AAA reciver in F/A

Anquan Boldin is a tough physical dude like dre

Calvin Johnson would be nice LOL

maybe even take one of teh Colts WR would be nice

Norg
11-21-2009, 01:16 PM
I love AJ and think he is a beast but if he goes then he goes. Life goes on he has played well for a team that has taken years to become a respected team and they still aren't quite there yet in order to make a true run at the SB. And while there might never be another AJ that is what the NFL draft is for drafting replacements. The fact is once his contract is up with the Texans he'll be a free agent and has his right to go and explore other options that are out there for him and I think there will be a lot of offers even though he'll then be on the the wrong side of thirty. That is going to be out of our power/control and the ball will be in his court and in his court only once that happens. Now it is in the Texans power to play well and try and prove to AJ that they getting up to true contender level and hopefully try to get AJ to either resign long term before his contract is even up or right afterwards but once he signs with another team that's it he is gone no questions asked. See you later nice knowing you but right the ball is still in the Texans court because AJ is a Texan for now and they must show him that they have what it takes to make a legit run or close to it in order for AJ to think about staying put but again, whatever he does once he's not a Texan anymore he does. I know one thing for sure I'll always love him and cheer him on no matter who he plays for I just won't route for his new team unless it's a team that I like and they aren't playing the Texans of course. You just gotta love you some AJ no matter what. GO AJ YOU ROCK

I pretty much agree with this

and he better be careful on wich team he picks they could curn out a Dysmal Season like teh bears or Eagles to a extent

gary
11-21-2009, 01:18 PM
A lot of it depends on how well he keeps his body form IMO. maybe a little less practice and a little more rest.

gary
11-21-2009, 01:23 PM
I pretty much agree with this

and he better be careful on wich team he picks they could curn out a Dysmal Season like teh bears or Eagles to a extentAgree, if tne dre goes I wouldn't mind seeing Houston draft Jordan Shipley.

Norg
11-21-2009, 01:31 PM
a perfect world would be tho to resign Dre and Part ways with Kevin walter and upgrade that Position not that there is anything wrong with that but a option

gary
11-21-2009, 01:55 PM
a perfect world would be tho to resign Dre and Part ways with Kevin walter and upgrade that Position not that there is anything wrong with that but a optionI personaly don't feel there is anything wrong with Kevin Walter but after his contract is up he might leave anyway.

DiehardChris
11-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Andre Johnson has now denied that report that there is a "plan in place" to get him out of Houston if they don't make the playoffs soon. He says he makes his own decisions, etc. I was kind of waiting for that. The article sounded a bit fishy in that part.

No source given - it was something the Chronicle tweeted without a link.

qman_tx
11-21-2009, 05:07 PM
Hey guys check out the video:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4675047

Alot of team chemistry. I dont see Johnson gone too soon....

False Start
11-21-2009, 05:14 PM

I'm still pondering that. :thinking:

JDizzle
11-21-2009, 05:22 PM
Hey guys check out the video:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4675047

Alot of team chemistry. I dont see Johnson gone too soon....

Sweet, nice find.

nunusguy
11-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Andre Johnson has now denied that report that there is a "plan in place" to get him out of Houston if they don't make the playoffs soon. He says he makes his own decisions, etc. I was kind of waiting for that. The article sounded a bit fishy in that part.

No source given - it was something the Chronicle tweeted without a link.

Receiver Andre Johnson denied a report that he has a plan in place to force a trade if the Texans do not make the playoffs.

Johnson is on the cover of the current issue of ESPN the Magazine. In the story, his uncle, Andre Melton, who also serves as his agent, tells the magazine they have a plan to force a trade but refuses to discuss the details.

ďThat didnít come from me,Ē Johnson said after practice Saturday. ďI wish he hadnít said what he said, but thatís his opinion. I make my own decisions, and I plan on being here until I retire.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6732996.html

qman_tx
11-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Receiver Andre Johnson denied a report that he has a plan in place to force a trade if the Texans do not make the playoffs.

Johnson is on the cover of the current issue of ESPN the Magazine. In the story, his uncle, Andre Melton, who also serves as his agent, tells the magazine they have a plan to force a trade but refuses to discuss the details.

ďThat didnít come from me,Ē Johnson said after practice Saturday. ďI wish he hadnít said what he said, but thatís his opinion. I make my own decisions, and I plan on being here until I retire.

That's what I like to hear

jaayteetx
11-21-2009, 05:30 PM
I just feel like I need to be a part of this thread, after all, check out my avatar and sig.

False Start
11-21-2009, 06:07 PM

That made me smile. :D

Ryan
11-21-2009, 06:10 PM
That makes me feel alot better. I hope he's a Texan for life and then becomes our head coach in 2032, after Kubiak retires with 5 super bowl rings. :fans:

ChrisG
11-21-2009, 06:33 PM
is this Dec issue? my local stores only have the nov college preview issue.

I guess i'll check at the airport tomorrow

GuerillaBlack
11-21-2009, 06:35 PM
I smiled BIG at the retire part. :texans:

wagonhed
11-21-2009, 08:23 PM

“That didn’t come from me,” Johnson said after practice Saturday. “I wish he hadn’t said what he said, but that’s his opinion. I make my own decisions, and I plan on being here until I retire.
I feel like I lost 50lbs after reading this.

Fox
11-22-2009, 10:44 AM
I guess everyone has a big-mouthed uncle in the family.... glad to hear AJ squash the rumors, now let's go get him his 'Larry Fitzgerald moment.'

HTown2ATX
11-22-2009, 05:59 PM
I guess everyone has a big-mouthed uncle in the family.... glad to hear AJ squash the rumors, now let's go get him his 'Larry Fitzgerald moment.'

AMEN BROTHER!!

:shades:

barrett
11-22-2009, 06:01 PM
screw that. give the man his rice moment,

GuerillaBlack
11-22-2009, 06:32 PM
screw that. give the man his rice moment,

Speaking of Rice, anyone see him on ESPN First Take the other day? He was naming the top WRs currently today in the NFL. He named people like Terrell Owens, Boldin, Desean Jackson, but conveniently left out AJ. He flies under the radar way too much.

Mr. White
11-22-2009, 07:13 PM
Andre is just saying what he has to say right now. He'd be pretty stupid to actually confirm his uncle's quote. He'd be a pariah just like Dunta is.

It's gonna take more then a sentence to the Chronicle to make me buy this.