PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Glanville

4Texans
11-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Who could forget the JG days with the Oilers.... He's about ot be out of work.

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Portland State University is expected to announce Tuesday that Jerry Glanville will no longer be the school's head football coach.

The move comes after PSU Athletic Director Torre Chisolm met with Glanville earlier on Monday.

In the three years since Glanville took over as the Vikings head coach, Glanville compiled a 9-24 record. This season, the Vikings posted their worst record in 27 years.

Glanville, 68, was hired in 2007 amid speculation that the university was considering eliminating the football program. He immediately generated an unprecedented level of hype around the program and promised the Vikings would be winners. However, he has yet to achieve a winning season in Portland.

The official announcement on Portland State's coaching situation is expected at a news conference Tuesday morning.

Prior to his stint on the Park Blocks, Glanville served as head coach with the National Football League's Houston Oilers and Atlanta Falcons. He also worked in sports broadcasting for FOX, CBS and HBO.

http://www.kptv.com/sports/21635487/detail.html

kastofsna
11-17-2009, 02:36 PM
the program was about to be terminated...give the guy SOME time to do SOMEthing. he clearly doesn't have much to work with.

Texan_Bill
11-17-2009, 02:42 PM
the program was about to be terminated...give the guy SOME time to do SOMEthing. he clearly doesn't have much to work with.

Whether I like Glanville or not, I have to agree with you here. If a program is under consideration to be terminated, they have way bigger issues than the head coach. I seriously doubt he was given an opportunity to succeed.

4Texans
11-17-2009, 02:51 PM

You are correct. The AD brought him in to add some life to a program that was about to disappear. It doesn't look like they gave him any support at all.

Double Barrel
11-17-2009, 02:54 PM
I didn't even know that Glanville was still alive, much less still coaching football.

Gotta' agree with the above, though. A program in the tanks is not going to change overnight.

Texecutioner
11-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Well it has been reported that Tom Cable is going to be fired after this season.

Ole Al just might be crazy enough to bring back a throw back coach like Glanville to run the Raiders for a year. He is crazy enough to do it and arrogant enough to try and prove the critics wrong. Glanville to the Raiders. :stirpot:

Boris
11-18-2009, 10:03 AM
i think he coached one of the best defenses of all-time in the 70s w/Falcons (they blitzed on every play i think).

Dread-Head
11-18-2009, 10:19 AM
i think he coached one of the best defenses of all-time in the 70s w/Falcons (they blitzed on every play i think).

Bring him in as Special Teams coach...and let him work with the Defense.
:stirpot: the House of Pain shall live again.

kastofsna
11-18-2009, 10:56 AM

i think football-outsiders said one of the 70s Falcons defenses was statistically the best of all time.

cuppacoffee
11-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Bring him in as Special Teams coach...and let him work with the Defense.
:stirpot: the House of Pain shall live again.

Think he would want to "camp out" again in Houston?

:coffee:

Boris
11-18-2009, 01:07 PM
what was Dan Patrick's problem w/Glanville? I remember him having Glanville's estranged dad on the show for a lengthy segment...what was that all about?

StarStruck
11-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Whether I like Glanville or not, I have to agree with you here. If a program is under consideration to be terminated, they have way bigger issues than the head coach. I seriously doubt he was given an opportunity to succeed.

True you have to be given an opportunity to succeed, and hopefully he isn't still dressing in mourning which could add further consideration that the program must indeed be a dying cause.

texanhead08
11-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Dan Patrick is a dick end of story. Glanville was June Jones Def Coord in Hawaii and got the head coaching job at Portland St around the time June left for SMU.