PDA

View Full Version : Andre's touchdown production?

BrandonLwowski
11-16-2009, 11:28 AM
What is keeping johnsons touchdown production so low? he only has 4 tds right now and i see other recievers like miles austin, randy moss, reggie wayne, vincent jackson, brandon marshall and they have 7 or more each. I personally think Andre is better all around reciever than those guys but yet has the same amount of touchdowns as rookies like austin collie, jermey maclin, and peircy harvin? Why does andre disapear in the redzone, or what is keeping him from getting those td's. Is it Schaub? i am clueless right now.

qman_tx
11-16-2009, 11:40 AM
I dont know what to tell about you the TD's. Lesser big play opportunities? What I know is he will be the leading receiver again after the Monday night game againist the Titans.

El Tejano
11-16-2009, 11:44 AM
I think alot of it has to do with the production that OD was giving us when he was on the field. When we get into to the redzone we saw alot of throws to OD in the middle of the field that would take us to the 1 yard line. I think some of it has to do with Schaub but it's not a bad thing. Look at how Schaub distributes the ball around. He doesn't just target 1 or 2 receivers.

dc_txtech
11-16-2009, 11:48 AM
We never seem to target AJ inside the 5 yard line. The 2 point conversion against Buffalo is the only time I can remember us throwing the ball to him inside the 5 this season. It seems like we use him as more of a decoy when we get close.

TheRealJoker
11-16-2009, 11:59 AM
In the Bears game at the end of last season I got really excited because we actually threw him the ball in the redzone and he got 2 tds. Unfortunately, we've gotten away from that for whatever reason. AJ could be the most effective redzone WR in the NFL with his sheer size but we decide for whatever reason not to run a fade route and let him get it!!!

I think a previous poster was onto something about OD. When we do pass in the redzone its usually to the TEs. Kubiak has probably coached Schaub to not force things IN THE REDZONE (the only time Schaub will actually listen it appears) and with a shorter field its easier to put 2 guys on AJ. I hope we take more chances with AJ in short yardage. It was ridiculous that he was on the bench at the 1 yard line in the Cardinals game...there's no reason to have your best player on the bench with the game on the line!!!

TexCanada
11-16-2009, 12:00 PM
I'm sure we will see a little more of him in the red zone now that OD is done for the year. TDs are just stats though, I don't really care who gets them as long as we are being efficient in the red zone as a team.

gtexan02
11-16-2009, 12:04 PM
last week against Indy or the week before AJ ran a route from the right side of the field toward the middle. Both the CB and the S followed him. Moats ran from the backfield to the right corner of the endzone all alone. AJ completely drew the coverage away from Moats and left him wide open.

We see this a lot with AJ in the red zone. Other teams take him away, opening up other people.

We're scoring 24 points a game. Who cares who scores them

eriadoc
11-16-2009, 12:28 PM
I'm sure we will see a little more of him in the red zone now that OD is done for the year. TDs are just stats though, I don't really care who gets them as long as we are being efficient in the red zone as a team.

We're scoring 24 points a game. Who cares who scores them

Not to pick on you, but people who hold that opinion now will be arguing vehemently for AJ 10+ years from now when his HOF candidacy comes up. I get what you're saying, and from a team standpoint, I agree. But sometimes a program can use a few accolades along the way. AJ is our first legitimate HOF candidate, and the TD argument will be used against him. And if the Texans never win a SB during his career, the TD production may well be the one thing that keeps him out for a while.

TexCanada
11-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Not to pick on you, but people who hold that opinion now will be arguing vehemently for AJ 10+ years from now when his HOF candidacy comes up. I get what you're saying, and from a team standpoint, I agree. But sometimes a program can use a few accolades along the way. AJ is our first legitimate HOF candidate, and the TD argument will be used against him. And if the Texans never win a SB during his career, the TD production may well be the one thing that keeps him out for a while.

Great point, and obviously we would all love to see that happen, but I don't think we should be forcing the ball to him in the red zone just for that reason.

New_Texans
11-16-2009, 12:45 PM

I doubt they would go by stats alone...besides, his receptions and yards are something thats also quite eye popping not to mention he has probably been the best WR in the league for what four years now? People will also be inclined to point out how he spent three years with Carr as his QB...Aj's numbers are stellar...AJ's highlight reel is impressive...if AJ keeps up his receptions and yards for another four - five years+ then he will be fine.

eriadoc
11-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Great point, and obviously we would all love to see that happen, but I don't think we should be forcing the ball to him in the red zone just for that reason.

I don't think we need to force anything. I think he can be a productive member of the red zone offense just like other teams that have stellar WRs. See Reggie Wayne's game winning TD last night.

TimeKiller
11-16-2009, 01:22 PM
So line AJ up as a TE. Or I don't know, just throw him the gaddam ball.

m5kwatts
11-16-2009, 01:45 PM
Andre gets more attention than any of those receivers mentioned in the original post

Andre is getting triple covered with OD out now, that means a corner a safety and a linebacker are bracketing him

That gives Schaub a small window to throw into and that window gets even smaller the closer you get to pay dirt

eriadoc
11-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Andre gets more attention than any of those receivers mentioned in the original post

Andre is getting triple covered with OD out now, that means a corner a safety and a linebacker are bracketing him

That gives Schaub a small window to throw into and that window gets even smaller the closer you get to pay dirt

That's true, but AJ's lack of TD production has gone on his entire career, both pre- and post-Kubiak.

AnthonyE
11-16-2009, 04:17 PM
What is keeping johnsons touchdown production so low? he only has 4 tds right now and i see other recievers like miles austin, randy moss, reggie wayne, vincent jackson, brandon marshall and they have 7 or more each. I personally think Andre is better all around reciever than those guys but yet has the same amount of touchdowns as rookies like austin collie, jermey maclin, and peircy harvin? Why does andre disapear in the redzone, or what is keeping him from getting those td's. Is it Schaub? i am clueless right now.

I think it has a lot to do with how many pass-catchers we have on offense. KW, OD (before his injury obviously), AJ, Dressen, JJ, AD all very capable of catching TDs. And that's not even counting Slaton and Leach.