PDA

View Full Version : Monday Night Football

TexCanada
11-15-2009, 11:53 PM
This game has basically become a must win after seeing the results of a lot of the other games this weekend. The wild card spots are being held by Pitt and SD at 6-3. It is now more likely that Denver will be the team we are chasing instead of SD, but they are still the div leaders for now.

Now is the time for us to be a 60 minute team. We need to prove that we can be a playoff team by beating a division rival who is on a 3 game win streak.

My keys to the game:

1) Get to them early - Titans are on a streak, but don't think that they have forgotten about their first 6 games of the year. If we can strike early and get up by a few points, I think the TITs will be deflated and fall apart.

2) Slow down CJ - We can't give up huge plays to the guy this time. We need to key on him and hit him hard when we get our chances.

3) Casey/Hill/Dreesen - One of these guys needs to step up and make some plays to open up the field for us.

4) Slaton - We need him to be involved in our offense in a big way if we want to make a playoff push. Gotta get him touches via rushes and screen passes.

This will be my first game this year that I actually get to see on TV!! I am super pumped for this so I really hope we bring home a W. It will be a great weekend for me since I am driving 10 hours each way to see my CFL team play in the playoffs on Sunday!

Go Texans!

DexmanC
11-15-2009, 11:57 PM
Under Kubiak, the Texans have dominated every team they've played
on Monday Night. I think we'll see the best game the Texans have played
yet. Those players didn't leave Indy happy, and Monday Night is a
great time for redemption.

LonerATO
11-16-2009, 12:02 AM

I hope and even if the Texans cant make the playoffs this year I at least want a winning season and a sweep of the Titans

TexCanada
11-16-2009, 12:05 AM
I hope and even if the Texans cant make the playoffs this year I at least want a winning season and a sweep of the Titans

Ya it would be especially great because we would basically eliminate any hopes the Titans have of a miracle run to playoffs. It would also put us in a really nice position for a wild card run.

Hagar
11-16-2009, 12:05 AM
Coming off three straight wins, you know the Titans want to avenge their earlier lost to us.

I'm getting a little bit worried about this game.

Norg
11-16-2009, 12:09 AM
iam getting scared

In the capers era MUst win games meant we choked HARD ..... :P

imatexan
11-16-2009, 12:45 AM
iam getting scared

In the capers era MUst win games meant we choked HARD ..... :P

Lets be glad that era is long gone.

valleytexfan
11-16-2009, 12:52 AM
Also a little nervous, but them I'm not. This is a different team. I think they're anxious and not nervous to play the TITs

ledzeppelin229
11-16-2009, 01:37 AM
I have two classes on Monday night but the second one is just going to be people doing presentations, which I did last week, and the class before I can afford to miss. I think I would regret missing the game a lot more than skipping International Relations Theory.

Goatcheese
11-16-2009, 02:00 AM
/edit. Wrong thread.

texanmojo
11-16-2009, 06:37 AM

Every Monday night game? We have had 1 Monday night game in our existance. Hard to say that we have dominated when we have played 1 time.

Frankly I am a bit nervous for next Monday. I am also beginning to think that it might take us winning out the season just to make the playoffs.

Malloy
11-16-2009, 11:38 AM
I have two classes on Monday night but the second one is just going to be people doing presentations, which I did last week, and the class before I can afford to miss. I think I would regret missing the game a lot more than skipping International Relations Theory.

Thats interesting stuff though ;)

Thorn
11-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Every Monday night game? We have had 1 Monday night game in our existance. Hard to say that we have dominated when we have played 1 time.

Frankly I am a bit nervous for next Monday. I am also beginning to think that it might take us winning out the season just to make the playoffs.

A lot can happen between now and the end of the season. But still, the Texans already have four losses, they can not afford to lose to a team they should be able to beat.

Bulluck53
11-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Coming off three straight wins, you know the Titans want to avenge their earlier lost to us.

Judging by some post game comments I get that feeling as well.

Hervoyel
11-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Being a Texans fan I've got plenty of experience dissecting wins and discounting victories over less than quality opponents. The Titans were never as bad as their 0-6 record indicated so there's no point in getting hung up on that. At the same time they are nowhere near as good as their 3-0 win streak makes them look either.

IF we beat Tennessee and get the Vince Young thing off our backs then I think we play the Colts the next Sunday at our house with a chance to cement ourselves as a true playoff contender.

That's a chance to go to 7-4 IF we beat the Colts.

That leads to a game against a likely 7-4 Jacksonville team for the right to second place in the division and an 8-4 record.

The Texans should be able to accomplish this. This is not easy but they insist they are a good team. A good team could do this. They slipped a win in on the Titans when Chris Johnson had a monster day and we had no defense so I think it's entirely resonable to expect the Texans to be able to improve on that at home with a defense. They barely lost a game to the Colts in Indy. That means they have a perfectly good chance to return the favor in Reliant Stadium on the 29th. Then they face the Jaguars who they again played very close without any kind of defense stepping up on our part. If we show up with a defense this game is winnable.

I expect 8-4 when Seattle comes to town and I like our chances the rest of the way up to New England. Seattle and St. Louis suck this year and Miami is mortal. New England is the last tough game and they're liable to sit their starters. We could be looking at a 12-4 finish if the cards fall the right way and the Texans are for real.

Admittedly 10-6 is far more likely until the team clears this three game stretch and proves otherwise.

Mr. White
11-16-2009, 12:59 PM

I'm getting a little bit worried about this game.

My proudest moment as a Texans fan came when I heard the Titans fans chanting "Texans suck!!!" over the broadcast.

Porky
11-16-2009, 02:49 PM

I remember at least three - Jax, GB and Seattle I think?

texanmojo
11-16-2009, 03:14 PM
I remember at least three - Jax, GB and Seattle I think?

Those were not Monday night football games. We have had Sunday night games...but only a single Monday night game and that occurred last year.

RTP2110
11-16-2009, 03:31 PM
TNF
Denver

SNF
19-10
Green Bay
Kansas City
Seattle

MNF
Jacksonville
Minnesota (PS)
Tennessee

texanmojo
11-16-2009, 03:50 PM
MNF
Jacksonville
Minnesota (PS)
Tennessee

Correct...our only MNF game that has mattered. To say we have dominated on MNF is a bit of a misnomer...but a win next Monday will help! :)

TexCanada
11-16-2009, 05:51 PM
If we finish out the season strong, I wouldn't be suprised to see a Monday nighter next year against Indy.

MannyFresh
11-16-2009, 06:27 PM
So the big question is....will ESPNhouston.com be unveiled?

brakos82
11-16-2009, 06:32 PM
So the big question is....will ESPNhouston.com be unveiled?

We don't even exist though.

False Start
11-16-2009, 07:52 PM
I'm not really worried about this game, but just like very Texans game I have that small thought of "damn, I hope they don't screw this up." I would say my confidence level is at about 80%. They still have a ways to go before I can be 100% confident we are gonna kick someones a$$.

After hearing Kalu talking about how hard the team took the Colts loss, I think they will be playing with a pi$$ed off chip on their shoulder. :aggressive:

Giant Tiger
11-16-2009, 08:45 PM
I'm not really worried about this game, but just like very Texans game I have that small thought of "damn, I hope they don't screw this up." I would say my confidence level is at about 80%. They still have a ways to go before I can be 100% confident we are gonna kick someones a$$.

After hearing Kalu talking about how hard the team took the Colts loss, I think they will be playing with a pi$$ed off chip on their shoulder. :aggressive:

I think the Texans will come out swinging. They should be very hungry for this game. They want to show they belong with the big boys. I'm not worried about Tennessee wanting to avenge the earlier loss; the Texans should be angrier at them for playing dirty.

DexmanC
11-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Andre Johnson put up almost 200 yards in the first HALF last year
against the THEN 10-1, best record in the NFL Titans, WITH a healthy
Albert Haynesworth. I don't see the Texans struggling to put up points,
since their strength is and has always been the Titans weakness.

They just need to get up by two scores, and allow the Titans to implode
on themselves. We won't have Sage Rosenfels here to hand the game
to them, like he TRIED to do in last year's Monday Night Game. He threw
that first pick, and the coaches BENCHED him without sitting him. It was
the funniest thing I'd ever seen. He was told to hand off to Slaton, and
throw 5-yard outs for the rest of the game.

Schaub is money when he has a lead, so if our runningbacks don't F-it-up,
this game shouldn't even be close.

imatexan
11-16-2009, 09:57 PM
Andre Johnson put up almost 200 yards in the first HALF last year
against the THEN 10-1, best record in the NFL Titans, WITH a healthy
Albert Haynesworth. I don't see the Texans struggling to put up points,
since their strength is and has always been the Titans weakness.

They just need to get up by two scores, and allow the Titans to implode
on themselves. We won't have Sage Rosenfels here to hand the game
to them, like he TRIED to do in last year's Monday Night Game. He threw
that first pick, and the coaches BENCHED him without sitting him. It was
the funniest thing I'd ever seen. He was told to hand off to Slaton, and
throw 5-yard outs for the rest of the game.

Schaub is money when he has a lead, so if our runningbacks don't F-it-up,
this game shouldn't even be close.

But But But....they have the almight Vince Young who can't lose in Houston!!!!

:headhurts:

DexmanC
11-16-2009, 10:03 PM
I forgot. On 610, they had this old dude call in and exclaim:

"I had a cut on my arm, and when I turned off the game, the cut was gone.
Vince Young has HEALING POWER!"

I laughed so hard when I heard that guy call in.

GuerillaBlack
11-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Those were not Monday night football games. We have had Sunday night games...but only a single Monday night game and that occurred last year.

Probably meant the Thursday Night Game against the Broncos.

If we finish out the season strong, I wouldn't be suprised to see a Monday nighter next year against Indy.

I'd rather have a Sunday night game next year against them (at home).

kastofsna
11-16-2009, 11:55 PM
hopefully you guys do better against the team that spit on your city than the Browns did tonight

RTP2110
11-17-2009, 12:01 AM
hopefully you guys do better against the team that spit on your city than the Browns did tonight

Thanks, but I don't think it's even possible to do any worse than Cleveland did tonight.

TexansSeminole
11-17-2009, 03:13 AM
This is a pivotal point in the season. The MNF game couldn't come at a better time. We have a chance to show NFL fans and the rest of the league that we are going to contend for the playoffs this year.

You know Gruden and the guys are going to talk about how the Titans are better than their record would indicate, so if we do win I anticipate some credit given to the Texans.

If we can stop the run I like our chances.

Something I am looking at in this game is the play of our rookie tight ends.

SAMURAITEXAN
11-17-2009, 04:48 AM

Yeah! The last few games againt Indy have been very close and I am sure Monday nighter decision makers will take a very hard look at Texans vs Indy game for next year.

Go Texans!!!

Dread-Head
11-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Yeah! The last few games againt Indy have been very close and I am sure Monday nighter decision makers will take a very hard look at Texans vs Indy game for next year.

Go Texans!!!

Cool name...wish I'd thought of it first...I totally hate you.

TexCanada
11-18-2009, 12:29 AM
This is a pivotal point in the season. The MNF game couldn't come at a better time. We have a chance to show NFL fans and the rest of the league that we are going to contend for the playoffs this year.

You know Gruden and the guys are going to talk about how the Titans are better than their record would indicate, so if we do win I anticipate some credit given to the Texans.

If we can stop the run I like our chances.

Something I am looking at in this game is the play of our rookie tight ends.

Ya we could definately earn some respect with a win in this game...but then again, I think respect is totally over-rated. Its all about the W.