PDA

View Full Version : Help: need a hotel next to the stadium

dalemurphy
11-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Tailgating and staying in Houston after the Tennessee game and I want a hotel/motel right next to the stadium. I hate that Holiday Inn though. Please give me advice on where to stay... I would like it to be in walking distance from the Orange/Blue Lots, if possible.

Texan_Bill
11-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Tailgating and staying in Houston after the Tennessee game and I want a hotel/motel right next to the stadium. I hate that Holiday Inn though. Please give me advice on where to stay... I would like it to be in walking distance from the Orange/Blue Lots, if possible.

Crowne Plaza is directly across the street (Kirby) from Platinum Lot.

Link: Crowne Plaza (http://www.crowneplaza.com/h/d/cp/1/en/hotel/houcp?&cm_mmc=mdpr-_-googlemaps-_-cp-_-houcp&dp=true)

Showtime100
11-13-2009, 02:44 PM

We stayed at the Quality Inn Reliant (http://www.qualityinn.com/hotel-houston-texas-TXC23) right there on South Loop West next to Kirby. When the sun is right you are almost literally in the shadow of Reliant. The place is clean, no palace or anything, but certainly nice enough.

Walking distance is 6-7 minutes from your door to the gate, maybe 8 minutes from Blue Crew in the Platinum Lot (see Texan Bill or David for a map). There's a Shoneys there but forget about it, maybe a dinner in a pinch but breakfast is a nightmare. Speaking of breakfast, the Continental breakfast is NOTHING like it's advertised in the link above. Instead it's a thermos of coffee and a couple of styrofoam cups, that's it. Shoneys coffee is the worst of the two choices by far so get your coffee at the hotel if they have some. I paid for the rooms like six months ago but it was $90 per night and IMO very much worth it. Make sure you leave them your car make/model/plate# before leaving as they "rent" parking to fans during the game and since you stay there your car won't have/need the permit the renters do. We had zero problems with that, just a sidenote for your car's safekeeping.

I would recommend it highly. Any questions pm me, I'd be glad to help.

ChrisG
11-13-2009, 03:49 PM
Marriot Springhill Suites is AWESOME stayed last year

full kitchen, hd lcd in bed room and living room

spurstexanstros
11-13-2009, 04:49 PM

I like the holiday inn..it is sweet to see the stadium when you wake up and or fall asleep. ( is that weird?)

barrett
11-13-2009, 05:51 PM
I thought we were staying at the moonlight in?

Look it up. It's funnier that way.

I really did stay there.

dalemurphy
11-13-2009, 06:19 PM

I really did stay there.

I'm really not going to consult with you on this issue after that fiasco last year... or was it 2 years ago?

GlassHalfFull
11-13-2009, 06:21 PM

I really did stay there.

I'm really not going to consult with you on this issue after that fiasco last year... or was it 2 years ago?

This sounds like a good story. Do tell. :popcorn:

bckey
11-13-2009, 08:57 PM
Marriot Springhill Suites is AWESOME stayed last year

full kitchen, hd lcd in bed room and living room

I stayed here as well and thought it was really nice. You can get it much cheaper on priceline as well as some others around Reliant. I have also stayed at the Comfort Suites which were alright. My friend went to a concert recently and paid like $65 on priceline for a room with a full kitchen at Homestead suites. I think rates might be a little higher where ever you try during the week. They like making money on business travelers.

I did walk from Springhill suites to the stadium and it wasn't bad. Alot of people staying there did it. That was probably the only time I didn't drive and tailgate. Usually I drive to the yellow lot and have lots of fun. I would stay at Springhill suites and drive to the stadium for the tailgating if you can get the room for $99. It is usually $149. Holiday inn express is another option if you can get it at $89. Good luck Dale.

Texan_Bill
11-16-2009, 03:26 PM
http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k325/Texan_Bill/Texans/MaBlueCrewMap2.jpg

TxDavid's website is down right now, so this the only map I could find.

Kaiser Toro
11-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Crowne Plaza is directly across the street (Kirby) from Platinum Lot.

Link: Crowne Plaza (http://www.crowneplaza.com/h/d/cp/1/en/hotel/houcp?&cm_mmc=mdpr-_-googlemaps-_-cp-_-houcp&dp=true)

That is where I will be staying for the game. Have you seen any issues with folks crossing Kirby after the game?

Showtime100
11-16-2009, 10:40 PM
That is where I will be staying for the game. Have you seen any issues with folks crossing Kirby after the game?

(SF Game)

My wife was tired and wanted to go straight back to the hotel (Quality Inn) after the game and since I wanted to hang out with the Blue Crew as long as they were there I decided to walk her back then come back to the lot. By the time we got back to the hotel I decided to stay put based on..............intuition (oh, plus I didn't know how many of them it would take to whip my arss, but I knew how many they were going to use if they were the type I thought they were). I might have been paranoid, but better safe than sorry. Coming back alone after the crowd was gone would be a different walk altogether.

As far as traffic goes we ended up crossing at the light next to the feeder road after the game. The light was insanely long - I mean I was convinced it was stuck - but other than that no issues.

silvrhand
11-17-2009, 06:33 PM

You could also stay downtown at the Marriot, the train stops right there and it's a 15/20 minute ride to the stadium. Across from the marriot downtown is the new bowling alley, house of blues, and the flying saucer (great bar) is right up the street.

bckey
11-21-2009, 07:36 AM
You could also stay downtown at the Marriot, the train stops right there and it's a 15/20 minute ride to the stadium. Across from the marriot downtown is the new bowling alley, house of blues, and the flying saucer (great bar) is right up the street.

I read about the flying saucer. Sounds like a great bar. They have almost every beer in the world!