PDA

View Full Version : On the Texans offense slow starts and "the script"

Texans_Chick
11-13-2009, 01:22 PM
I like when I learn or realize stuff when writing a blog post. I knew that the Texans have had some slow offensive starts this year, but writing this blog post put it in black and white:

To understand the Texans, you need to understand 'the script' (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2009/11/to_understand_the_texans_you_n.html)

It has info on the very abysmal first offensive drives of each game this year, and a very good article that I don't know if I've seen someone post before on "the script"--great article from old school Bronco days--talks about how it is put together, used, sometimes scrapped and what purpose it serves. Read that a while ago, but I think given the slow starts it is a good time to look at it.

Also I have bonus video of the 49er 1994 America's Game Super Bowl. It was on TV yesterday, and I show the segment where Steve Young talks about being benched, it shows Kubiak talking to him, and how it ended up changing the course of their season. I love the America's Game series of shows--it really demonstrates how hard it is to win a Super Bowl any given season.

Lots of fun stuff to chew on over a bye weekend.

Maddict5
11-13-2009, 03:08 PM
a bit unrelated to your post but i remember about two years ago when we were brilliant on the scripted play and seemed to struggle somewhat afterwards to the point where there were posts like 'oh man thats 15 plays we've had, we're screwed'. just funny how thats reversed this season

Hagar
11-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Good blog! The scripting plays article was really good.

The part that cought my attention the most was at the 6:00 mark of the Steve Young video were he talks about perceptions and the reality of the perceptions. The perception of the Texans around the NFL is as a losing franchise thats kinda soft both mentally and physically.

Until we make the playoffs for a couple of years, its going to be hard to shake that perception.

76Texan
11-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Our first series this year don't really show a pattern, IMO.

Perhaps we had Myers and Pitts (especially Pitts) missing time in the PS.
I don't think Pitts was ever 100%

Then we lost Brisiel.

On the other hand, teams blitzed us earlier; that might add a little more to the spices. We whiffed on some blitzes and we whiffed on some normal pass rushes.

And Schaub didn't play as well as he should (even when there was no pressure).

76Texan
11-13-2009, 06:37 PM
In Bill Wash's book, he said he scripted 20 or 25 of his first plays (I think it was 25). He didn't talk about his later years.

In John Madden's book, he said toward the end of his career, Walsh scripted all the plays through 3 quarters.
He also joked that had Walsh continued on, he'd probably scripted the whole game.

rush2112mn
11-14-2009, 01:00 PM
I am not a frim believer in scripts......I think they are good to a point....but you must be able to adjust on every play......

Texans_Chick
11-16-2009, 10:08 AM
I am not a frim believer in scripts......I think they are good to a point....but you must be able to adjust on every play......

Did you read the link? They do have flexibility with the script.

thunderkyss
11-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Did you read the link? They do have flexibility with the script.

Great read, I'm still "working" through it. A part I found interesting & telling:
It allows the coaches to gain insight into how the defense will react to various formations and personnel packages. For the Chiefs, Kubiak had tossed up 15 different alignments in those 15 plays--"every formation in the freaking book"--hoping to see every check-off and change Kansas City has planned for the Broncos. After each series, the offensive coaches receive a packet of pictures showing two pictures of each play that was just run. One picture shows the snap, the second is a second after the snap. They study these pictures and determine how the Chiefs reacted. Even if the particular play on The Script didn't work, the coaches can make adjustments with a particular formation that they can exploit later in the game, either because of a weakness in the defensive structure or because of a particular defender who they believe is vulnerable.

"What we see in the first 15 goes a long way to helping us be successful in the third and fourth quarters," says Kubiak. "We go in thinking the defense will react in certain ways to what we are doing. Then we, in turn, react to how they react. So even if we don't get any scores because of The Script, or even if we don't do much, it is still extremely valuable to us. That's what people don't understand."

Which got me to thinking. Not only is Kubiak teaching the Texans how to play on the field, he's got a lot of teaching to do on the sidelines as well. That whole Mike Sherman fiasco (IMO) kind of slowed us down a bit. But he's building this thing from the ground up. I'm thinking that, because while he noticed things as early as the 4th play in the previous anecdote, it seems it's taking us an entire half before we know what's what. Hopefully, that will start sooner, as maybe the Colts game would lead us to believe. Offensively, we started turning it on in the second qtr (if not for the fumble) then continued into the third qtr, which we owned.

IMO, this is a good thing. We didn't have the explosive results many people were hoping for, but I still think we are on the right track. & if he can instill a "right way" to do things, from the position coaches, to the co-ordinators, to the GM, to the players..... I'm all for it.

As long as it works that is, and breeds success for years to come.

76Texan
11-16-2009, 12:49 PM
It allows the coaches to gain insight into how the defense will react to various formations and personnel packages. For the Chiefs, Kubiak had tossed up 15 different alignments in those 15 plays--"every formation in the freaking book"--hoping to see every check-off and change Kansas City has planned for the Broncos. After each series, the offensive coaches receive a packet of pictures showing two pictures of each play that was just run. One picture shows the snap, the second is a second after the snap. They study these pictures and determine how the Chiefs reacted. Even if the particular play on The Script didn't work, the coaches can make adjustments with a particular formation that they can exploit later in the game, either because of a weakness in the defensive structure or because of a particular defender who they believe is vulnerable.

"What we see in the first 15 goes a long way to helping us be successful in the third and fourth quarters," says Kubiak. "We go in thinking the defense will react in certain ways to what we are doing. Then we, in turn, react to how they react. So even if we don't get any scores because of The Script, or even if we don't do much, it is still extremely valuable to us. That's what people don't understand."

Which is why I think it was incredible that Walsh can script plays through 3 whole quarters. That is no small feast!

TimeKiller
11-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Alright...soooo....

One of the points of having a script is to find out what is happening defensively to certain formations so they can exploit that knowledge later in the game?

mmmmkay.

But when you never get the first foot off the ground, game after game when are we allowed to point at Shanahan for not having good enough Scripts to start a game? (If it really is him bearing such a duty) It's like he knows the offense and how it runs but pre-gametime scouting and film study he's just oblivious.

Here's a play for you sonny boy: Andre Johnson to the HOUSE when he is single covered. Once a game. At least. keep 6 in to block, let him get by a few guys and throw the man a bomb once a damn game. AT LEAST. "Oh then teams will know it's coming" Yeah and we can all laugh our collective ass off everytime he blows up a stat sheet. You think anybody in the NFL is unaware that Tom Brady is going to lob a few up for Randy Moss?

UNLEASH THE RAINMAKER!!!!!!!!!

disaacks3
11-16-2009, 01:58 PM
I've never agreed with "scripting" just for the sake of scripting itself.

Our Offense should be dictating the flow from the get-go, not relying on an idea that CAN work, but often doesn't. Sure, it's a huge help after the scripts are "done", but until that point is reached, it's sure-fire way to see if you can get your Defense burned out, and your Offense demoralized.

thunderkyss
11-16-2009, 04:17 PM
But when you never get the first foot off the ground, game after game when are we allowed to point at Shanahan for not having good enough Scripts to start a game? (If it really is him bearing such a duty) It's like he knows the offense and how it runs but pre-gametime scouting and film study he's just oblivious.

I don't know that Shanahan is there yet. Kubiak never had complete control of "The Script" while he was in Denver, I don't see why it would be different for the young padawan.

When he returns to his office, The Script is on his desk. Kubiak wonders every week how his boss will grade his handiwork. Sometimes, he has been 15-for-15, other times not even 50 percent. On this day, Shanahan has made three changes. He meets with Kubiak and Gibbs to persuade them on his suggestions. They agree; after all, this is Shanahan making the suggestions. Once practice is finished, Frerotte receives the entire play-call sheet, which includes The Script. The quarterback then takes home the call sheet and begins even more intense study that began with the introduction of the game plan on Wednesday.