PDA

View Full Version : It's Time To Start Antoine Caldwell

gary
11-12-2009, 04:18 PM
And let him grow. Someone on here called Eric Winston overrated and while that may or may not be true he isn't the worst member of the OL by far. This team needs upgrades at LG, RG, and C. That's what is causing the running game suffer as far as yards per carry goes IMO. Watching Chris Myers get blown off the line makes me sick and I am tierd of it. Myers is the biggest problem that is hindering the job of the OL. I know Caldwell is a rookie but the Texans are in the middle of a playoff push and Chris Myers is not helping their cause at all as a matter of fact he's only hurting it. The rook might not be any better but that's what we must see with more reps will he become a proven starting center or not. If not, then the FO will have to continue the search for a new long term center as A.C. was drafted to be. What are your thoughts?

Tailgate
11-12-2009, 04:22 PM
I kinda got the impression that Caldwell was targeted as a possible takeover for White hopefully here soon. I think the thinking s that the duo of Myers and Caldwell are better than the duo of Caldwell and white?

Second Honeymoon
11-12-2009, 04:26 PM
If Caldwell can't beat out a total scrub loser like Chris Myers, that makes me really worried about Caldwell.

gary
11-12-2009, 04:27 PM
I am will to try White or A.C. to take the place of Myers he just gets pushed into the back field all too often.

gtexan02
11-12-2009, 04:30 PM
No time for "growing" until the playoffs are out the window imo

CloakNNNdagger
11-12-2009, 04:32 PM
And let him grow. Someone on here called Eric Winston overrated and while that may or may not be true he isn't the worst member of the OL by far. This team needs upgrades at LG, RG, and C. That's what is causing the running game suffer as far as yards per carry goes IMO. Watching Chris Myers get blown off the line makes me sick and I am tierd of it. Myers is the biggest problem that is hindering the job of the OL. I know Caldwell is a rookie but the Texans are in the middle of a playoff push and Chris Myers is not helping their cause at all as a matter of fact he's only hurting it. The rook might not be any better but that's what we must see with more reps will he become a proven starting center or not. If not, then the FO will have to continue the search for a new long term center as A.C. was drafted to be. What are your thoughts?

Good post, must spread the rep.

I, admittedly, am no fan of Myers. But, the coaching staff has continually defended the starting status of Myers to a degree that makes no sense. A center's play probably has more effect on an O line's performance as a whole than any other single position. It affects the consistency of both the run and pass play success. With a breakdown of the center play, there is a direct funnel to the RB and the QB, certainly something that we have seen more than enough in critical situations.

TimeKiller
11-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Myers is decent in pass pro and keeps the line in check fairly well. His run blocking is a joke, goalline/power/in space doesn't matter he can't push a guy over to save his life.

Tailgate
11-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Good post, must spread the rep.

I, admittedly, am no fan of Myers. But, the coaching staff has continually defended the starting status of Myers to a degree that makes no sense. A center's play probably has more effect on an O line's performance as a whole than any other single position. It affects the consistency of both the run and pass play success. With a breakdown of the center play, there is a direct funnel to the RB and the QB, certainly sometime that we have seen more than enough in critical situations.

I just have a hard time questioning the decisions made for a unit that is led by Alex Gibbs.

gary
11-12-2009, 04:41 PM
No time for "growing" until the playoffs are out the window imoLet's say no playoffs this year then we have not seen if A.C. is the real deal or not. He is going to have to show his skills soon or later. You have younger O lines then Houston who are playing better.

eriadoc
11-12-2009, 04:46 PM
I am a fan of Antoine Caldwell. I think he's going to be a top member of our OL for years to come. I've seen flashes this year where he has shown just how good he can be.

However, he's not there yet. And I think after last year's handling of Duane Brown, the staff feels like they can balance Caldwell's growth the same way. It's perplexing, but in hindsight, the coaches weren't going to replace Myers at any point anyway, I don't think. They find greater value in what he does than we do as fans. And I'm not blind to what Myers does well. On the stretch plays, screens, and tosses, he can get out and do some great blocking at the second level. He moves well. It's just my opinion that these assets don't outweigh his inability to block at the first level. I guess the coaches differ with me on that, so OK. I'm no professional.

Furthermore, with the injuries to the guard position, Caldwell is going to see all his time at guard this year. I expect he'll continue to get better, and next year he'll be a starter on the line.

CloakNNNdagger
11-12-2009, 05:02 PM
I just have a hard time questioning the decisions made for a unit that is led by Alex Gibbs.

How have you enjoyed our run game thus far?

MojoMan
11-12-2009, 05:02 PM
I hope they make Caldwell the permanent answer at center. That is what he was originally drafted for and that is where it seems to me that he will fit best over the next 10 years or so.

alphajoker
11-12-2009, 05:07 PM
And let him grow. Someone on here called Eric Winston overrated and while that may or may not be true he isn't the worst member of the OL by far. This team needs upgrades at LG, RG, and C. That's what is causing the running game suffer as far as yards per carry goes IMO. Watching Chris Myers get blown off the line makes me sick and I am tierd of it. Myers is the biggest problem that is hindering the job of the OL.I know Caldwell is a rookie but the Texans are in the middle of a playoff push and Chris Myers is not helping their cause at all as a matter of fact he's only hurting it. The rook might not be any better but that's what we must see with more reps will he become a proven starting center or not. If not, then the FO will have to continue the search for a new long term center as A.C. was drafted to be. What are your thoughts?

Thoughts one and two on why the Texans do not make the change.

gary
11-12-2009, 05:26 PM
This does not have to be a move for A.C. I am game for anyone but if you're happy with Myers getting blown off the LOS then have at it.

gary
11-12-2009, 05:47 PM
Thoughts one and two on why the Texans do not make the change.Staring one new player should not hurt so much that we miss the playoffs then try White or someone anyone.

Insideop
11-12-2009, 06:00 PM

I'm sure Gibbs hasn't enjoyed it either!

Kaiser Toro
11-12-2009, 06:14 PM
I just said it another thread, but may be more appropriate here - I would not mind seeing them work on a goal line package with Caldwell at Center.

Tailgate
11-12-2009, 06:19 PM

Not at all. Point being, Alex Gibbs resume speaks for itself. Not to mention Slatons decision making has been atrocious compared to last year.

eriadoc
11-12-2009, 06:20 PM
I just said it another thread, but may be more appropriate here - I would not mind seeing them work on a goal line package with Caldwell at Center.

I'd like to see a GL package with AJ and Walter at WR, two TEs lined up to block (Dreesen and Hill), Casey at FB, and Leach at tailback. Imagine the options you'd have from a setup like that.

Goatcheese
11-12-2009, 06:23 PM
If Caldwell can't beat out a total scrub loser like Chris Myers, that makes me really worried about Caldwell.

Kubes is notorious for not playing his young guys, and regretting it later. See Diles.

Kaiser Toro
11-12-2009, 06:25 PM
I'd like to see a GL package with AJ and Walter at WR, two TEs lined up to block (Dreesen and Hill), Casey at FB, and Leach at tailback. Imagine the options you'd have from a setup like that.

I have screamed at the TV, and maybe to my wife and cats, something to that effect. They need to do something different just to hold our attention for entertainment. Heck, get a jersey on Gary Coleman and run him out at RB. I would have said Willis, but you know how that would fly with Robert White Shoes McNair. Willis could ball. :ant:

eriadoc
11-12-2009, 06:56 PM
I have screamed at the TV, and maybe to my wife and cats, something to that effect. They need to do something different just to hold our attention for entertainment. Heck, get a jersey on Gary Coleman and run him out at RB. I would have said Willis, but you know how that would fly with Robert White Shoes McNair. Willis could ball. :ant:

Anything different to hold our interest would be great, but they'd have legitimately great options from that lineup. Walter can come down and block on the edge, as he sometimes does, and AJ is a good blocker in space, for the most part. Hill and Dreesen could block at the line or chip and get out in route. Casey could probably do a passable job at lead blocking, especially with a hammer in the backfield. And every one of those guys can run routes and catch well enough that the defense would never know where it was coming from.

TheRealJoker
11-12-2009, 07:38 PM
The coaching staff is taking the bye week to evaluate the team and see what adjustments need to be made. We've got 3 OL coaches including a future HOF and arguably the best OL coach in history. I hope they make the best decision for the OL but if Caldwell isn't starting after evaluations and we've got 2 starting guards on IR and Myers still at center then clearly Caldwell is not progressing at the rate we need him to be...especially when we spent a 3rd round pick on him.

gary
11-12-2009, 07:45 PM
The coaching staff is taking the bye week to evaluate the team and see what adjustments need to be made. We've got 3 OL coaches including a future HOF and arguably the best OL coach in history. I hope they make the best decision for the OL but if Caldwell isn't starting after evaluations and we've got 2 starting guards on IR and Myers still at center then clearly Caldwell is not progressing at the rate we need him to be...especially when we spent a 3rd round pick on him.Word. It must be seen if Caldwell is progressing or not and now is the time to do so IMO. Myers just isn't getting the job done period.

Number19
11-12-2009, 08:09 PM
There's more to it than anyone has mentioned. The OC is the "quarterback" of the offensive line and has the responsibility of making the line calls. It is very difficult for a rookie to step in and capably perform this task. But it is mid-season. Also, occasionally, another veteran,usually at the guard position, will assume the job until the rookie center learns the defensive looks sufficiently to perform the job.

Carr Bombed
11-12-2009, 08:19 PM

I kinda liked what they did last week at the goal line....

Sometimes it's better not to pack everything in (especially when you have weak interior lineman), last week they just spread everything out, stretched the defense sideline to sideline and Slaton was able to fly into the endzone practically untouched.

One our biggest problems is we have try to be a power running team down there when it's clear we are not a power running team.......this is a finesse offense, so if we're going to be a finesse offense we might as well play to that strength.......they did that last week.

gary
11-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Then slide a guard over I don't care I just want to see Chris Myers sitting on the bench.

HJam72
11-14-2009, 05:24 AM

I sure wish we could do that too, because I believe it's 12 men on the field, counting the QB and 5 OL. :)

HJam72
11-14-2009, 05:26 AM
Then slide a guard over I don't care I just want to see Chris Myers sitting on the bench.

You know that's not a bad idea in short yardage situations.

infantrycak
11-14-2009, 08:34 AM
You know that's not a bad idea in short yardage situations.

You know, it would be exactly like Kubiak to put Caldwell in for a couple short yardage situations whatever happens and then either ride the train or write a new play planning the other team thinking it is an up the gut play because Caldwell is on the field.

Maddict5
11-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Kubes is notorious for not playing his young guys, and regretting it later. See Diles.

notorious? :rolleyes:

you then mention the ONE and only example of this 'problem' in kubiak 4 years here (with the only other possible case being playing walter as a slot wr behind moulds his first yr) :clap:

the fact we currently field the youngest team in the nfl might indicate this 'problem' isnt as serious as you seem to suggest

how about the rookies/young players who have seen extensive action from nearly if not day one- despite some being pretty raw: mario, demeco, spencer, winston, OD, lundy, amobi, jj, bennett, harrison, duane, slaton, adibi, okam, barber, cushing, barwin, caldwell, GQ & casey's going to see alot of time now.

Wolf
12-13-2009, 07:30 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread.. someone said on the gameday thread that he started today

I couldn't see the game (they had ATl-NO on) and plus i haven't a clue about judging how someone plays

How did he look?

Vinny
12-13-2009, 07:32 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread.. someone said on the gameday thread that he started today

I couldn't see the game (they had ATl-NO on) and plus i haven't a clue about judging how someone plays

How did he look?They rotated him with White. He played well when I was watching him, but I didn't focus on him much.

CloakNNNdagger
12-13-2009, 07:38 PM
They rotated him with White. He played well when I was watching him, but I didn't focus on him much. He was in there on the plays that did not end with the center on his butt.

edo783
12-13-2009, 09:23 PM
He was in there on the plays that did not end with the center on his butt.

Major improvement then?:thinking:

thunderkyss
12-13-2009, 09:56 PM
He was in there on the plays that did not end with the center on his butt.

Meyers played well today. Never on his but.

Caldwell didn't rotate with Myers.. he & White switched out at RG like they have been doing.

I found it odd, they slid White over to Center when Myers came out... I thought Caldwell would have been the more logical choice.

But they couldn't wait to get Myers back in.

Carr Bombed
12-13-2009, 11:02 PM

See Walter after '07, see Jacoby after this season. If you're a young player who isn't getting burned, it doesn't mean you suck. Jacoby should of had more snaps this season also.

MojoMan
12-13-2009, 11:31 PM
During the announcement of the Texan's offense at the beginning of the game, Caldwell was presented as the starter at right guard.

silvrhand
12-14-2009, 08:01 AM
I can't remember the last time I've seen a rookie center come in and start, so give him another year it takes time to move into the NFL on the OL. He started today, his work ethic had to change from college to NFL and they are pushing him on that.

He seems like he's going to break the starting RG by end of year, then on to center hopefully in a year or two.

eriadoc
12-14-2009, 08:16 AM
I can't remember the last time I've seen a rookie center come in and start, ....

Not that it's germane to the thread, but Nick Mangold did a few years ago with the Jets.