PDA

View Full Version : What adjustments will we make over the bye week?

TheRealJoker
11-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Personally, I am thrilled that we are taking our bye this week. On the one hand it would've been nice to have had it last week to get an extra week to prepare for the Colts but at the same time I think it was nice to see 1 game without OD so that the coaching staff would be better equipped to review what needs to be done to make up for his departure to IR.

Plus we get a week for Mario and Cushing to heal their nagging injuries so they can hopefully practice every week for the stretch run.

AND

We get an extra week to make sure we're on our P's and Q's for a huge division game on MNF against the Tacks. This is nothing short of a must win. We lose this game we're effectively out of the hunt because we're no longer in control of our own destiny. That would give us 4 conference losses out of 5 and a very likely possibility we could lose 4 more (road games at Jax and Mia and tough opponents at home Indy and NE). We need to beat Tennessee and i'm happy we get an extra week to "get right".

Last year we didn't have a bye week and we managed to do well down the stretch. This year we get one at an excellent time and I hope our team makes the most of it.

Things i'd like to see addressed over the bye week:

1) Schaub's 1 or 2 WTF decisions per game. We've gotta figure out how to keep him from making these decisions!!! That 1st INT could've effectively ended the game...why would you throw it in triple coverage that early in the game and give it right back to Peyton in our territory? Luckily the D held them to a FG but that was the margin by which they beat us. If we're gonna win the tough games down the stretch and avoid surprises against the teams we should beat (Tenn, the NFC teams) we've gotta get rid of those WTF decisions by Schaub.

2) Fumbling at the RB position. Every RB on the active roster has lost a fumble that effectively cost us the game. Brown VS JAX, Slaton in a number of games...too many to list and you could argue the one against NYJ ruined any chance we had at capturing momentum, and now Moats @ Indy. These turnovers are unacceptable and its a wonder we're above .500 with the amount of times we've given the ball to the other team already. The only stat that is a better predictor of winning and losing is the final score so we need to get this fumbling problem under control!!!

3) How to replace OD. They were on track this week by spreading it out to the WRs but it was obvious, especially early in the game, that Schaub was struggling without OD in the lineup. Would he have forced that throw to AJ that resulted in the 1st INT if he had OD as an option? Who knows, but the fact is if we dont replace his production we dont have a shot at the playoffs. I'd like to see us use more screens with Slaton and Moats. We had great success with it against Cincy but I guess the Colts D speed snuffed it out. We need to find a way to get that facet of our O back or some other way to distribute OD's touches.

4) Defense has to reign in those penalties. I know it comes with being aggressive but if a penalty keeps the opponent's drive alive that is unacceptable. 13 penalties and I think 9 were on the defensive side of the ball last week. Even if the refs were flag happy that is too many especially the number of presnap penalties. Its simply unacceptable to give the offense free yards especially after all the improvements the D has made while the ball is actually snapped!!!

No More 8-8's
11-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Crazy as it sounds, gameplan for Vince Young. We need this game, and we should win it, but more importantly we REALLLY REALLY need to win this one. I recommend Brian Cushing spying on Vince the entire game.

Malloy
11-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Get Dreessen, Casey and Hill into the groove, someone has to wear ODs shoes for the rest of the season!

gtexan02
11-10-2009, 12:56 PM
2) Fumbling at the RB position. Every RB on the active roster has lost a fumble that effectively cost us the game. Brown VS JAX, Slaton in a number of games...too many to list and you could argue the one against NYJ ruined any chance we had at capturing momentum, and now Moats @ Indy. These turnovers are unacceptable and its a wonder we're above .500 with the amount of times we've given the ball to the other team already. The only stat that is a better predictor of winning and losing is the final score so we need to get this fumbling problem under control!!!

We are 5-1 when Slaton fumbles the football in a game. How exactly has he had game losing fumbles that are too many to count?

The only game he fumbled in that we lost was the Jets game, and we never had a chance in that game

AndreRulz
11-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Just get the team staying in grove, playing well for a whole 4 quarters.
Go over the basics and good things will happen.

50boys
11-10-2009, 01:05 PM
I'd like to see them do what it takes to play a complete game, that's all.

ObsiWan
11-10-2009, 01:06 PM
We are 5-1 when Slaton fumbles the football in a game. How exactly has he had game losing fumbles that are too many to count?

The only game he fumbled in that we lost was the Jets game, and we never had a chance in that game

You're letting him off the hook.

Remember the first decent drive in the second qtr when it looked like we were starting to pick up steam? Slaton fumbled - at the Jet 15 - the only time we had managed to get the ball into the redzone in the first half. At the time the Jets only led 3-0. We could have at least tied the score, if not gone ahead 7-3! That turnover gave momentum back to the Jets after we were finally moving the ball on their defense. That fumble changed the whole complexion of the game.

Oh and did I mention they converted that fumble into 7 pts?? That's at least a 10 pt turnaround if not 14!

So yeah, I count that as a game-losing fumble.

dalemurphy
11-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Fix the running game! We have had successful running plays but they haven't generally been the ZBS plays. I'm hoping we see a more diverse ground game coming out of the bye week... more traps, sweeps, weakside pitches, draws, etc... almost every big run this season has been from those plays.

Deluan Robinson more involved in the DT rotation. I think Amobi would be more effective if he played fewer snaps. And Deljuan, always seems to be in the backfield when he's in the game.

Incorporating more blitzing from the secondary, particularly at CB.

Nickel packages with Mario and A. Smith lined up as DTs. I think having those guys in the QBs face would make things very difficult. Barwin hasn't been great, but he can speed rush the edge and force the QB into the pocket and Bulman can set the other edge.

TexCanada
11-10-2009, 01:15 PM
1) I would love to see us improve on disguising our blitzes. I know that we had to simplify our D after the first couple of games, but I think we are ready to throw in a wrinkle or two into our game plan. It just seems that our Blitzes get picked up a lot.

2) I could be wrong with this, but it feels like our O starts slow in most games. I would like to see us come out with a screen pass to Slaton, or a couple runs to at least move the sticks a time or 2 on our first possesion.

El Tejano
11-10-2009, 01:27 PM
It's not about Slaton's fumbles giving us a winning record or however you want to look at it. The Raiders, and Bills game could've been losses against another team with a decent offense. The San Fransisco game was way too close for comfort because of a Slaton fumble. That's why this has to get corrected because we are going to be playing some offenses.

I would like to see us add new wrinkles to the defense now. It's fine and dandy that we have had success with our base package and being pretty vanilla. However, that was needed when we were struggling and some of the offenses we face down this stretch are going to make us pay for it. Let's introduce something new and take the rest of the teams by surprise.

gtexan02
11-10-2009, 01:29 PM
It's not about Slaton's fumbles giving us a winning record or however you want to look at it. The Raiders, and Bills game could've been losses against another team with a decent offense. The San Fransisco game was way too close for comfort because of a Slaton fumble. That's why this has to get corrected because we are going to be playing some offenses.

I would like to see us add new wrinkles to the defense now. It's fine and dandy that we have had success with our base package and being pretty vanilla. However, that was needed when we were struggling and some of the offenses we face down this stretch are going to make us pay for it. Let's introduce something new and take the rest of the teams by surprise.

We dominated the Raiders and the Bills. "What ifs" dont matter.
The SF game was close because our defense stopped playing at halftime

ObsiWan
11-10-2009, 01:32 PM
Priority #1:
Minimize the turnovers.
In each and every game that we've lost you can point to a turnover that killed us. Whether it's Schaub throwing a pick or a RB fumbling to kill a scoring opportunity, we can't stand this sort of thing and expect to make the playoffs.

you know, there was a time I used to pray our defense could hold the other guys to 24-28 pts/game. my thinking was, if we could just hold the other guys to 24 pts, our offense can put up 30. Well, guess what, over the last five games the defense has done just that. Plus we've shutdown the run.
Our defense is doing their job.
Time for the offense to wake the hell up and hold up their end of this deal on a week-in/week-out basis.

dalemurphy
11-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Crazy as it sounds, gameplan for Vince Young. We need this game, and we should win it, but more importantly we REALLLY REALLY need to win this one. I recommend Brian Cushing spying on Vince the entire game.

I don't want to take his skill set lightly. However, good tackling is the main requirement when playing a QB and RB combo like that. Fortunately, the Texan defense has become one of the 2 or 3 best tackling teams in the NFL. I'd say the key is having a healthy Cushing, Ryans, Pollard... and, keeping Fred Bennett away from the field!

If we tackle and don't give them a lot of short fields, the Titans can't move the ball 70+ yards on us. VY simply isn't an accurate, consistent enough QB to make enough plays with his arm to sustain and finish drives.

TheRealJoker
11-10-2009, 06:16 PM

Perhaps I misspoke when coupling the statement "too many to list" with fumbles lost that cost us a game. You were correct that we are 5-1 when Slaton fumbles, but you are incorrect when you claim that we "never had a chance" in the Jets game.

As another poster mentioned, the game was only 3-0 and who knows what happens if he holds onto the ball and we at least tie the game in that drive. Could be the momentum shift needed to have helped us win the game.

I stand by the statement that the league leading fumbler Steve Slaton has had "too many lost fumbles to count" regardless of if we've been able to overcome his mistakes a majority of the time.

DexmanC
11-10-2009, 07:00 PM
I say we get Hill some goalline catches. Did you see him take that
2-yard catch and push the pile for a 7-yard gain by himself? I believe
it was his only catch in the Colts game.

Kaiser Toro
11-10-2009, 07:36 PM
1) More press coverage

2) Blitzes from the secondary

3) Shadowing the QB

vanknights2002
11-10-2009, 07:51 PM

Man that's the play i remember the most from that game. He just wasn't going to be tackled by just one person and carried what was it 3 or 4 colts players with him for a few yard. Before he was knocked out of bounds.

dalemurphy
11-10-2009, 07:54 PM
1) More press coverage

2) Blitzes from the secondary

3) Shadowing the QB

Kaiser, I don't think Schaub's race should be brought into it. Man, we just can't get past the Vince Young thing around here!

HJam72
11-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Not really saying this out of anger, but it just occurred to me that we could stop Slaton's fumbling by having Schaub shove it up his @$%, LOL.

Might make him "dance" more though.

Kaiser Toro
11-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Kaiser, I don't think Schaub's race should be brought into it. Man, we just can't get past the Vince Young thing around here!

VY is the next QB that we face and he cannot make every throw. Moreover, with Jax (do you remember what Garrard has done to us with his feet) and the Wildcat Dolphins I believe you are off. Feel free to go into the Rival forum and find your VY fix.

Scooter
11-10-2009, 08:16 PM
i'd like to see us work on our scripted plays and come out stronger in the first quarter. we've heard everyone on the team talk about wanting to come out faster, but it's still an issue. also, the turnovers and silly mental mistakes obviously.

dalemurphy
11-10-2009, 08:17 PM
VY is the next QB that we face and he cannot make every throw. Moreover, with Jax (do you remember what Garrard has done to us with his feet) and the Wildcat Dolphins I believe you are off. Feel free to go into the Rival forum and find your VY fix.

I thought it was pretty clear that I was joking.

Kaiser Toro
11-10-2009, 08:24 PM
I thought it was pretty clear that I was joking.

Thank you for clarifying. Due to the lack of a smilie and recently being in one of the VY threads I was using my jump to conclusions map.

Texan4Ever
11-10-2009, 09:54 PM
This may have been mentioned but I'd like to see the Texans shift Antonio Smith to DT and roatate Tim Bulman, Connor Barwin, Tim Jamison at DE.

Also, I would like to see Barwin play some OLB as a pure pass-rusher (I envisioned him as a 3-4 player but since the Texans don't use it anymore, I think it would be interesting to let him play DE and or OLB)

The DBs looked clueless against the Colts so I hope someone wise enough will address that over the bye week. IMO, I think its due to miscommunication that guys like Dallas Clark are allowed to run around and get wide open, so can someone please fix this?!?!

I want to know, where in the world is Adibi BTW, is he injured?

NitroGSXR
11-10-2009, 10:00 PM
None.

We don't make adjustments until the 2nd half of games. We like to open games flat. I think we lose this one.

*sigh*

HJam72
11-10-2009, 11:30 PM
I think the price of beer will go up.

dalemurphy
11-10-2009, 11:56 PM
None.

We don't make adjustments until the 2nd half of games. We like to open games flat. I think we lose this one.

*sigh*

Nitro, You're nuts! We beat Tennessee by 3 scores! Tennessee has issues on defense that can be exploited and they have a total inability to throw the ball. It's our dream matchup. There is no way VY can drive them down the length of the field if he has to hit on multiple 3rd and medium and 3rd and longs. Relax. This is our game. You're still thinking like a fan of an average team. Right about week #4 this team went from average to darn good. Get used to it!

ObsiWan
11-11-2009, 12:19 AM
Nitro, You're nuts! We beat Tennessee by 3 scores! Tennessee has issues on defense that can be exploited and they have a total inability to throw the ball. It's our dream matchup. There is no way VY can drive them down the length of the field if he has to hit on multiple 3rd and medium and 3rd and longs. Relax. This is our game. You're still thinking like a fan of an average team. Right about week #4 this team went from average to darn good. Get used to it!

he's not the one talkin' crazy talk, you are; we're not consistent enough for any of us to be this cocky.

Sell no one cheap.

Ask Philly about selling Oakland cheap or GB about selling TB cheap. That's a quick way to get your butt handed to you.

...and did I mention that ole Jeffy Fisher will probably use that sideline altercation as fuel to have his boys, shall we say, extra "chippy".

silvrhand
11-11-2009, 12:38 AM

Who gives a crap about VY, stop Chris Johnson the guy is tearing people up.. someone needs to lay the wood to this guy to slow him down..

Chris Johnson is averaging 6.7 yards per carry!!! 144 attempts for 959 yards..

m5kwatts
11-11-2009, 12:46 AM
Who gives a crap about VY, stop Chris Johnson the guy is tearing people up.. someone needs to lay the wood to this guy to slow him down..

Chris Johnson is averaging 6.7 yards per carry!!! 144 attempts for 959 yards..

Agreed. And I don't expect us to be so irresponsible with our gap-control this time around.

dalemurphy
11-11-2009, 12:58 AM
he's not the one talkin' crazy talk, you are; we're not consistent enough for any of us to be this cocky.

Sell no one cheap.

Ask Philly about selling Oakland cheap or GB about selling TB cheap. That's a quick way to get your butt handed to you.

...and did I mention that ole Jeffy Fisher will probably use that sideline altercation as fuel to have his boys, shall we say, extra "chippy".

I'm not sure what the mindset of a football fan has to do with the mindset/focus of the football team? I don't think that my confidence will magically transfer to overconfidence by the players. Now that is crazy talk.

GB isn't a good team and Phillie is inconsistent and was playing on the road. We are coming out of a bye week and this team has it together. I predicted when it was 2-3 that they would win the next three games and then lose to Indy. I think I've got a handle on the team I'm watching. I'll save the nervousness for Monday afternoon in the parking lot. This Tennessee team will not be competitive with this Houston team at home, coming off of a bye. We can't be run on and they can't pass. Furthermore, they can't rush the passer or defend the pass. It's a perfect matchup for us.

If you want to talk about the following week... I expect a pretty dominate win against Indy. I'll be very surprised if this team isn't 7-4 in three weeks.

El Tejano
11-11-2009, 08:41 AM
I'm not saying we didn't dominate. I'm saying take this time to add something new. We aren't getting to the QB enough. That needs to change.

El Tejano
11-11-2009, 08:49 AM

You're forgetting how VY plays the game. At this point, they are going to let him do whatever he wants and whatever works to win a game. They aren't going to control him and force him to be a pocket passer. If VY sees an opening on 3rd and 5, he's going to take it on his legs and get the first down. He doesn't try to break every run now.

If we are backed up in coverage, that is going to happen alot.

BigBull17
11-11-2009, 09:19 AM

Yeah, he looked pretty athletic for a blocking TE.

gtexan02
11-11-2009, 09:20 AM
I don't know, do you remember when Bruener used to catch passes? Same deal.

The problem is he didn't run good routes, didn't have great hands, and was therefore difficult to get the ball to.

Hill was pretty open on that play

BigBull17
11-11-2009, 09:34 AM
This may have been mentioned but I'd like to see the Texans shift Antonio Smith to DT and roatate Tim Bulman, Connor Barwin, Tim Jamison at DE.
Also, I would like to see Barwin play some OLB as a pure pass-rusher (I envisioned him as a 3-4 player but since the Texans don't use it anymore, I think it would be interesting to let him play DE and or OLB)

The DBs looked clueless against the Colts so I hope someone wise enough will address that over the bye week. IMO, I think its due to miscommunication that guys like Dallas Clark are allowed to run around and get wide open, so can someone please fix this?!?!

I want to know, where in the world is Adibi BTW, is he injured?

Smith is playing very well at DE, and the other guys are playing ok. I wouldn't make that change until one of theose other guys become better. I would love to see Barwin play a little linebacker, however.

badboy
11-11-2009, 09:38 AM
I think Vince will see this as a good opportunity to make his daddy Bud Adams happy for horse collaring that mean old Jeff Fisher. What a great scenario, coming back home to Texas where Mr. Young has pulled out a victory against Houston before. IMO he will try to have a super human type game. If I were the coach Bud Adams, I would tell my boy, "Go out there, have some fun and play like the winner California and I know you are."

To counter this possible upset, Kubes need to tell his defense "if you touch Young, he has to go down. No pushing him down or out of bounds. No throwing a blocking tackle at his legs hoping he will fall over you. Solid tackles with piling on, just no late tackles in or out of bounds." Our defense should shut down all options, making Vince want to have happy feet. The defense needs to man up, cut out the first quarter nervousness crap and play solid ball. This ain't the Colts where fans expect some super human effort to knock off a 7-0 team. Simple solid ball. No reaching to force a ball in between defenders or trying to get one more yard before going down. If we act like the team we are, this game is sewn up.

Prior to the Colts games I posted that the ponies would not beat us but Texans just might beat themselves. They did.

DexmanC
11-11-2009, 09:41 AM
Eric Winston spoke about Hill on his radio show yesterday. He said he
was amazed at how *physical* a rookie Hill is. Winston said the
problem with most rookies is that they aren't physical enough at
the line of scrimmage. With Hill, that's NOO PROBLEM.

dalemurphy
11-11-2009, 09:43 AM
Eric Winston spoke about Hill on his radio show yesterday. He said he
was amazed at how *physical* a rookie Hill is. Winston said the
problem with most rookies is that they aren't physical enough at
the line of scrimmage. With Hill, that's NOO PROBLEM.

Awesome!!

dalemurphy
11-11-2009, 09:45 AM
I don't know, do you remember when Bruener used to catch passes? Same deal.

The problem is he didn't run good routes, didn't have great hands, and was therefore difficult to get the ball to.

Hill was pretty open on that play

Bruener's problem, at the point we had him, is that he'd become very stiff. He had back problems and had lost what agility he had when he was younger.

HOU-TEX
11-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Like KT, I'd like to see more man-press coverage.

I like the way we use Barwin as a roamer along the LOS at times. He's just not getting there yet. Maybe try somebody else as the roamer?

I'd like to see a better effort in the running game, no matter the RB. We seem to begin a game throwing too much, IMO. Maybe that's a reason for slow starts? Schaub can't get in a rythm that fast?

If Casey's ready, put him to work ASAP.

BigBull17
11-11-2009, 01:58 PM
I would like to see a lot less Dre Davis and more JJ. JJ is almost as fast, but more explosive, agile, physical, and has a little better hands.

Texans80
11-11-2009, 06:21 PM
I'd like to see us run the Wildcat with Moats and Slaton just once, but I doubt that will ever happen. Especially with Slaton's fumble troubles, no way do we trust him to hand it off or take it from another RB.

TheRealJoker
11-11-2009, 08:23 PM
I'd like to see us run the Wildcat with Moats and Slaton just once, but I doubt that will ever happen. Especially with Slaton's fumble troubles, no way do we trust him to hand it off or take it from another RB.

The wildcat formation could be a possibility with Casey getting more PT. We're gonna need to get creative and I could definately see him taking direct snaps with Moats/Slaton in the backfield with him.

TexansFight
11-11-2009, 11:45 PM
Fix the slow starts we are having on offense. IMO, this is a playcalling issue. I am tired of us seemingly having a 3 and out to begin every game. Get the ball in Andre's hands at least once so we have a good shot of not punting every 1st offensive series. I am tired of us forcing the run.

TheRealJoker
11-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Fix the slow starts we are having on offense. IMO, this is a playcalling issue. I am tired of us seemingly having a 3 and out to begin every game. Get the ball in Andre's hands at least once so we have a good shot of not punting every 1st offensive series. I am tired of us forcing the run.

I think part of the problem for the slow starts is Schaub locking in on AJ trying to get him involved early. See: The 1st INT at Indy

Kaiser Toro
11-12-2009, 07:13 PM
I would not mind seeing them work on a goal line package with Caldwell at Center.

TheRealJoker
11-12-2009, 09:27 PM
I was just looking at Schaub's stats and noticed that there have been only 2 games this season where he has not thrown an INT. That means 7 out of 9 games he's turned the ball over. This is unacceptable and I hope the coaches can fix him up!!!