PDA

View Full Version : Texans not interested in Larry Johnson

dalemurphy
11-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Kubiak said they are "going to take a look" at LJ. Called him a good football player. Also, was pretty critical of the current RBs.

gtexan02
11-09-2009, 04:55 PM
thread number 5?

AndreRulz
11-09-2009, 04:58 PM
this wouldnt be too bad, if he can still play and be effective and clean up his act with a change of scenary it could work. I'd give him a 1-year contract to give it a shot.

BrandonLwowski
11-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Kubiak said they are "going to take a look" at LJ. Called him a good football player. Also, was pretty critical of the current RBs.

where did u see this at?

Carr Bombed
11-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Hmm......maybe one of the signs of "turning the corner" is not being afraid to sign a football player who has a sketchy past. Although I don't think Larry Johnson has much ability left, he was a product of a dominant line and we don't have that here, but if he can hold on to the ball he'll instantly be a upgrade. :)

TexCanada
11-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Larry Johnson is a very short-term solution, if he's even a solution at all. I'm sure he would be better then Brown though.

dalemurphy
11-09-2009, 05:09 PM
where did u see this at?

Kubiak presser. Just a few minutes ago.

BrandonLwowski
11-09-2009, 05:10 PM

thanks in class had to miss it...any other crazy ideas that came up?

Mr. White
11-09-2009, 05:11 PM

I bet Barry Warner asked the question.

Texecutioner
11-09-2009, 05:13 PM
If he is signed it had better be a one year deal that just goes for the rest of the season. No way do I want to see him here next year. The guy isn't any good, and he's a complete team cancer. I'd like to see him just fade away out of the NFL.

Porky
11-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Kc released LJ? I thought he was suspended or something? :spin:

bckey
11-09-2009, 05:16 PM
How did you see the presser. Nick said there were technical difficulties and he would record it and put it up on texans tv later.

GuerillaBlack
11-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Sign him. He's better than Chris Brown. I hate seeing Chris Brown run the ball.

Texecutioner
11-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Coach Gary Kubiak indicated at his Monday press conference that the Texans plan to do their due diligence on waived RB Larry Johnson.
Texans fans are pulling for the team to pursue L.J. "We'll go back and take a look at him just like any other player," Kubiak said. Johnson has a 2.7 YPC average for the year, but has lost just one fumble on 132 carries. The Texans continue to be concerned with their running backs' ball security after Ryan Moats lost a fumble at the goal line in Houston's Week 9 loss.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

Marcus
11-09-2009, 05:20 PM

Boy, he must hate the current RBs guts if he is "going to take a look" at that POS.

I'm totally against this move.

Goatcheese
11-09-2009, 05:20 PM
They will bring him in for a look, kick the tires, and realize this guy is running on empty with four flats, a squeaky fan belt and a busted carburetor.

DerekLee1
11-09-2009, 05:24 PM
How did you see the presser. Nick said there were technical difficulties and he would record it and put it up on texans tv later.

It was on the radio. I say sign him. Changing scenery did wonders for cats like Randy Moss and Cedric Benson. Even right here in Houston with Ron Artest. If he clears waivers and you don't have to take on a huge contract, why not give him a 1- or 2-year deal and see if he changes his act? Maybe being around good classy characters like Andre Johnson, Matt Schaub, Gary Kubiak, and Bob McNair will set him straight. It's not like he's Pacman Jones.

Double Barrel
11-09-2009, 05:24 PM
I have to wonder at what point this organization finally takes the plunge with a high draft pick to get a feature back. This RB-by-committee stuff blows. We need a guy that can consistently get a yard and is capable of hitting the holes while holding on to the ball. It shouldn't be too much to ask. We're not demanding Adrian Peterson.

pbat488
11-09-2009, 05:35 PM
It was on the radio. I say sign him. Changing scenery did wonders for cats like Randy Moss and Cedric Benson. Even right here in Houston with Ron Artest. If he clears waivers and you don't have to take on a huge contract, why not give him a 1- or 2-year deal and see if he changes his act? Maybe being around good classy characters like Andre Johnson, Matt Schaub, Gary Kubiak, and Bob McNair will set him straight. It's not like he's Pacman Jones.

Cedric Benson only had a couple of years on him, and that's close to if not over the average shelf life of an NFL RB. LJ has played 6 seasons already, which is over the average NFL RB lifespan, not too mention his huge number of carries since he was drafted.

I don't mind us taking a flier and working him out, but I really don't see much coming out of it given his history and character issues.

DexmanC
11-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Kansas City has been picking in the high-end of the draft for years.
Bernard Pollard came from there, and he supposedly sucked.
Bring him in, Rick Smith style (pennies on the dollar), and see
what he has left.

Plus, the coach in Kansas City is an ass. Any player who wants to win
runs the risk of blowing up on that guy. Bernard Pollard blew up on him,
and got released. Larry Johnson did the same thing.

I believe we now have strong leadership in the locker room, and if
he's a problem, his ass will be on the street soon enough. Bring him
in!

DiehardChris
11-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Kubiak didn't say we would look at him. He said we would look at him like any other FA.

Context is important, but the Chronicle is totally ignoring it. Journalism=DEAD.

DiehardChris
11-09-2009, 05:52 PM
I bet Barry Warner asked the question.

It was McClain.

DerekLee1
11-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Kansas City has been picking in the high-end of the draft for years.
Bernard Pollard came from there, and he supposedly sucked.
Bring him in, Rick Smith style (pennies on the dollar), and see
what he has left.

Plus, the coach in Kansas City is an ass. Any player who wants to win
runs the risk of blowing up on that guy. Bernard Pollard blew up on him,
and got released. Larry Johnson did the same thing.

I believe we now have strong leadership in the locker room, and if
he's a problem, his ass will be on the street soon enough. Bring him
in!

That's a great point. Pollard should have a good insider's view on Larry's personality and alleged troubles.

NitroGSXR
11-09-2009, 05:54 PM
I dont care what it takes. I hope the Texans sign him. His 2.7 YPC means nothing to us on the goalline where we've lost three games as a result of fumbles. It's that last yard i want him for. Also, he'd been carrying the load by himself for so long in KC. He'd be splitting time with Slaton. 7 games left and our season is not over. We still are in the thick of the playoff running. Sign him. We've got the cap room this season. Let's do something with what we can. LJ isn't my first choice by any means. I just dont see any other RBs with his resume out on the market right now. 7 more important games left in our season.

DerekLee1
11-09-2009, 05:57 PM
I dont care what it takes. I hope the Texans sign him. His 2.7 YPC means nothing to us on the goalline where we've lost three games as a result of fumbles. It's that last yard i want him for. Also, he'd been carrying the load by himself for so long in KC. He'd be splitting time with Slaton. 7 games left and our season is not over. We still are in the thick of the playoff running. Sign him. We've got the cap room this season. Let's do something with what we can. LJ isn't my first choice by any means. I just dont see any other RBs with his resume out on the market right now. 7 more important games left in our season.

Yeah. You could spot Slaton, Moats, and Brown 1.7 yards at the goal line and they still couldn't get the last one.

NitroGSXR
11-09-2009, 05:59 PM
I have to wonder at what point this organization finally takes the plunge with a high draft pick to get a feature back. This RB-by-committee stuff blows. We need a guy that can consistently get a yard and is capable of hitting the holes while holding on to the ball. It shouldn't be too much to ask. We're not demanding Adrian Peterson.

That's a bit harsh. They've had tremendous success with their first round selections. Every forst rounder Smith and Kubiak is starting and doing a heckuva job right now. There are only so many first rounders that a team has.

Porky
11-09-2009, 06:03 PM
As a feature back, NO. But as a guy who we can use in short yardage and goal line plays, sure. I think he might be better than Chris brown who has failed in those areas. Chris just runs too upright and without enough ooomph to make those goalline plays work. LJ just might. And yes I know he is a complete turd.

FirstTexansFan
11-09-2009, 06:04 PM
As the majority seem to be against it....it must be right...sign him :)

NitroGSXR
11-09-2009, 06:05 PM
Yeah. You could spot Slaton, Moats, and Brown 1.7 yards at the goal line and they still couldn't get the last one.

I'm not sure what you're trying to dispute from my post? LJ does not fumble the ball and that's a proven quality that i'm looking at for those pesky one yard goallines.

New_Texans
11-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Trent Green likes him...

besides he'll be 800000000 times better than Brown.

also, he isn't a dancer back there. He runs down hill and we have a passing game that would help him out anyway.

Texecutioner
11-09-2009, 06:07 PM
I just dont see any other RBs with his resume out on the market right now.

His resume? His resume is horrible. With RB's it's all about their current resume with what's important. Not what he did 4 seasons ago. His current resume is awful on the field and in the locker room, and off the field it's worse than anything.

He won't be any better than our current backs in short yardage if our O line can't push the pile.

If they can sign him for cheap for just the remainder of the season, and let him loose after this year, then I don't really care personally. I don't see how that would hurt us. If he came here though, I'd be a slight bit worried that Kubes would play him a lot more than just a GL back or short yardage guy and he doesn't deserve to get any carries over Slaton or Moats with how he's played the last two seasons.

DiehardChris
11-09-2009, 06:11 PM
I remember when everyone got whipped up over Shaun Alexander.

Same thing - just that Shaun never beat on a woman, called his own fans fags, called reporters f a g g o t s, or publicly talked sh*t about his own coach.

LJ has nothing in the tank as a player or a human being.

NitroGSXR
11-09-2009, 06:15 PM
As a feature back, NO. But as a guy who we can use in short yardage and goal line plays, sure. I think he might be better than Chris brown who has failed in those areas. Chris just runs too upright and without enough ooomph to make those goalline plays work. LJ just might. And yes I know he is a complete turd.

With Slaton's fumblitis and LJ's year and tear... Nobody's going to be the feature back. We'll go with the hot hand whoever that is. Just because we (if we did) pay him an obscene amount of money... Does not mean he needs to be the feature back. We got the room and the price for the next seven games just got a bit higher.

Hervoyel
11-09-2009, 06:17 PM
If he is signed it had better be a one year deal that just goes for the rest of the season. No way do I want to see him here next year. The guy isn't any good, and he's a complete team cancer. I'd like to see him just fade away out of the NFL.

For a moment I thought you were talking about Cedric Benson again.

steelbtexan
11-09-2009, 06:23 PM
That's a great point. Pollard should have a good insider's view on Larry's personality and alleged troubles.

David Gibbs should be able to provide the most valuable info.

If that's the reason LJ is not signed I'm OK with not signing him.

If McNair doesn't want to sign him because of his character and the Smithiak do want to sign him. That's another issue all togeher.

JDizzle
11-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Trent Green likes him...

I don't think it's a coincidence that LJ's performance slipped when the Chief's passing attack became non existent. Since Green left the Chiefs have had a pretty bad passing game and his numbers have suffered during that time.

Who knows? maybe he could benefit from playing in a much better offense like ours.

steelbtexan
11-09-2009, 06:30 PM
What do you have to lose???????? Lets see
Ex-Pro bowl RB
KC Just throws him out there
1 Year Contract
7 Games Left
What the hell do you have to lose
If it doesen't work out, let him go.

Exactly

It's sad that if LJ walk in off the street he would be the most reliable,least turnover prone RB on the team.

Jimmy Johnson thinks he's got something left that's good enough for me.

NitroGSXR
11-09-2009, 06:30 PM
His resume? His resume is horrible. With RB's it's all about their current resume with what's important. Not what he did 4 seasons ago. His current resume is awful on the field and in the locker room, and off the field it's worse than anything.

He won't be any better than our current backs in short yardage if our O line can't push the pile.

If they can sign him for cheap for just the remainder of the season, and let him loose after this year, then I don't really care personally. I don't see how that would hurt us. If he came here though, I'd be a slight bit worried that Kubes would play him a lot more than just a GL back or short yardage guy and he doesn't deserve to get any carries over Slaton or Moats with how he's played the last two seasons.

So why dont you tell me who you think has a better resume that's on the streets right now.

AnthonyE
11-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Transcripts on all quotes Larry Johnson today:

(on if they have any interest in RB Larry Johnson) “Obviously, I think when a name like that comes on the free agent market like today, we’ll obviously go back and take a look at him just like any other player. But obviously, he’s been a good player in this league, and I’m sure he’ll get a lot of interest from a lot of people.”

(on if that means they’re interested) “I think that means we will take a look at him. That’s what that means.”

(on RB Larry Johnson having issues on field and off the field and why they are interested in him knowing all that) “Well, your question was, ‘Would we take a look at him?’ And I said, ‘Yes, we would, because he’s a free agent and he’s out there.’”

(on if they are interested in signing RB Larry Johnson) “I don’t know. We’d have to take a look at him first and evaluate him.”

(on if they need a guy who can do what RB Larry Johnson can do) “Larry Johnson’s a good football player, and we’re going to take a hard look at him.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/blog/index.asp?post_id=781

steelbtexan
11-09-2009, 06:32 PM
For a moment I thought you were talking about Cedric Benson again.

Me too

LOL

Double Barrel
11-09-2009, 06:33 PM
That's a bit harsh. They've had tremendous success with their first round selections. Every forst rounder Smith and Kubiak is starting and doing a heckuva job right now. There are only so many first rounders that a team has.

Okoye? :rolleyes:

Serviceable, but I'd rather have a RB that can consistently get a yard when our offense needs it. We could get a middle-of-the-road DT from many places, and the first round shouldn't be one of the places.

DexmanC
11-09-2009, 06:36 PM
I'm just sayin'..

Head Coach of the Chiefs, Todd Haley, ran Tony Gonzales out of town,
gave Bernard Pollard an apple and a roadmap, and has just sent
Larry Johnson packing. Pollard spoke in a video interview and said,
"The new group came in, and wanted things their way. I respect that,
but there is a certain way you should speak to people. I'm not
going to be disrespected, and I try to show respect."

Todd Haley is an asshat, and all of the key Chiefs have been run off
the reservation by his ass. Gonazales and Pollard are doing just fine
out of Kansas City. If they want to bring Johnson in, I have no problem
with that.

DiehardChris
11-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Michael Pittman is out there. He is an ex-Bronco, he was a PROVEN goal line back in Denver last year (4 TDs in 8 games as ONLY a goal line back), and he's still in shape (he's playing in that new league that I don't recall the name of.

Yeah, he's old. 34... but LJ is past his prime too.

ObsiWan
11-09-2009, 06:38 PM

Serviceable, but I'd rather have a RB that can consistently get a yard when our offense needs it. We could get a middle-of-the-road DT from many places, and the first round shouldn't be one of the places.

And I'd rather have a set of guards and a center that are sufficiently strong enough to push the middle of the opposing D line back on their heels for that one yard so all the back has to do is pick one and follow him.

Both an improved O-line and an Earl-type RB would be even sweeter

Runner
11-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Michael Pittman is out there. He is an ex-Bronco, he was a PROVEN goal line back in Denver last year (4 TDs in 8 games as ONLY a goal line back), and he's still in shape (he's playing in that new league that I don't recall the name of.

Yeah, he's old. 34... but LJ is past his prime too.

The UFL. As I understand it, those players can't go to the NFL until their season is over.

Double Barrel
11-09-2009, 06:41 PM
And I'd rather have a set of guards and a center that are sufficiently strong enough to push the middle of the opposing D line back on their heels for that one yard so all the back has to do is pick one and follow him.

I can't argue with wanting a set of guards and center that could do that, either. That would be nice. We can dream, can't we?

NitroGSXR
11-09-2009, 06:55 PM

Okoye is producing on the NFL's best defense (over the last five games). It 's been said that it takes 3 years for a defensive lineman to develop. It's year three for Okoye and he's turning out quite nicely. I think he's benefitted from Antonio Smith's veteranism (if that's even a word). I'm pretty happy with how it all is turning out.

TEXANS84
11-09-2009, 06:56 PM
If we're going to do it, lets do it right.

Steve Slaton for Reggie Bush.

*sarcasm*

m5kwatts
11-09-2009, 07:17 PM
Sign LJ to a one year deal

If he's a problem he's gone

The only history players care about is how they produced on the field, LJ will be embraced

DiehardChris
11-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Sign LJ to a one year deal

If he's a problem he's gone

The only history players care about is how they produced on the field, LJ will be embraced

What about the female fans?

ObsiWan
11-09-2009, 07:33 PM
What about the female fans?

...and who will protect our cheerleaders?

DiehardChris
11-09-2009, 07:36 PM
...and who will protect our cheerleaders?

LOL - you have me laughing out loud TWICE today. Very nice.:clap:

TexCanada
11-09-2009, 07:43 PM
I'd say give him a shot for the rest of the year, but who knows if he is even interested in playing for our team? Its possible that he gets a couple of offers and chooses to play elsewhere.

Lucky
11-09-2009, 07:46 PM
LJ in a Texan uniform? Hell yes. He's the perfect compliment to Slaton. There's no doubt he'd be somewhat rejuvenated out of KC. Short yardage, goal line runner? Exactly what the Texans need.

unreals
11-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Yes, this is really what the team needs. A plodding, washed up RB with character issues. That would be so much better than restoring the confidence of Steve Slaton, who performed like an elite RB as a rookie last season. Are you people for real?

It's becoming increasingly obvious that Kubiak hates Slaton. Moats performed as those of us who understand football knew he would- 16 carries for 38 yards. Wow- that really turned the running game around, huh? Funny how when he fumbled (in a truly crucial situation, just like Chris Brown earlier in the season), pyscho Kubiak wasn't upset at all, didn't sit him down or restrict his carries. Now, Kubiak publicly declares that the team is interested in this horrific human being, and over the hill RB Larry Johnson. How much more can this moron slap his dynamic young RB in the face? What did Slaton do to justify this hate?

Steve Slaton proved again that he is even a solid short yardage back, when he converted a one yard TD, in a rare opportunity at the goal line (a few games back, he did the same thing). Despite this, he is still considered, by his idiotic coach and the yahooie fan base, to be lacking in this area.

I read some posts on another forum, from a Colts fan, who was perplexed about Slaton's lack of touches. He thanked the Texans for playing a mediocre back like Moats, because Slaton torched the Colts last season, and he understands what a weapon he is. First the talk about drafting a RB high, then the public declaration that Chris Brown would be the goal line back, then the public bemoaning about not signing Benson, then the benching for lifelong journeyman Moats, now the public statement that the team is interested in the laughable Larry Johnson. As a Steve Slaton fan, I truly hope he goes to a team that will respect his tremendous skills.

TexCanada
11-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Yes, this is really what the team needs. A plodding, washed up RB with character issues. That would be so much better than restoring the confidence of Steve Slaton, who performed like an elite RB as a rookie last season. Are you people for real?

It's becoming increasingly obvious that Kubiak hates Slaton. Moats performed as those of us who understand football knew he would- 16 carries for 38 yards. Wow- that really turned the running game around, huh? Funny how when he fumbled (in a truly crucial situation, just like Chris Brown earlier in the season), pyscho Kubiak wasn't upset at all, didn't sit him down or restrict his carries. Now, Kubiak publicly declares that the team is interested in this horrific human being, and over the hill RB Larry Johnson. How much more can this moron slap his dynamic young RB in the face? What did Slaton do to justify this hate?

Steve Slaton proved again that he is even a solid short yardage back, when he converted a one yard TD, in a rare opportunity at the goal line (a few games back, he did the same thing). Despite this, he is still considered, by his idiotic coach and the yahooie fan base, to be lacking in this area.

I read some posts on another forum, from a Colts fan, who was perplexed about Slaton's lack of touches. He thanked the Texans for playing a mediocre back like Moats, because Slaton torched the Colts last season, and he understands what a weapon he is. First the talk about drafting a RB high, then the public declaration that Chris Brown would be the goal line back, then the public bemoaning about not signing Benson, then the benching for lifelong journeyman Moats, now the public statement that the team is interested in the laughable Larry Johnson. As a Steve Slaton fan, I truly hope he goes to a team that will respect his tremendous skills.

Steve Slaton fumbles the football. Nobody here is writing him off, and signing LJ would barely take away from his touches. LJ would be a short yardage back, and likely only for the rest of this year while Slaton works through his problems. Kubiak gave him plenty of chances this year and he didn't take advantage of them. We all know what a dynamic player he can be, but he has to limit his mistakes before he gets the ball in crunch time.

Lucky
11-09-2009, 07:56 PM
That would be so much better than restoring the confidence of Steve Slaton, who performed like an elite RB as a rookie last season. Are you people for real?
Does your virtual world revolve around Steve Slaton???

I still believe in Steve, but I've always felt he need another back to help carry the load. Bringing in a tough inside runner could only help this team. And since I'm a bigger fan of the Texans, than any specific player or coach, anything that helps the team is just fine by me.

FirstTexansFan
11-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Where's the sarcasm smiley? :)

DiehardChris
11-09-2009, 07:59 PM
You guys will change your mind quick once LJ punches your girlfriend in the face at a Houston nightclub.

That is, if in the BILLION to one chance that he actually ends up here.

michaelm
11-09-2009, 08:00 PM

Thank you Mr. Slaton. Your opinion is duly noted.

threeputtsam
11-09-2009, 08:02 PM

I agree - get an O-line that can dominate first

DexmanC
11-09-2009, 08:06 PM

That's a reach. If Kubes hated Slaton, he'd do to HIM what he did
to Chris Taylor and Wali Lundy. CUT THEM. Steve is in the SAME
PLACE as Jacoby Jones. I just heard the Kubiak show, and he explained
that EVERY player goes through dark times. How you come out of it
determines if you'll be a 2 or 3 year player, or a 12-15 year player. Kubes
understands EXACTLY the place Steve is in. You kneejerkers wanted
Jacoby gone, and Kubes would say, "I still believe in Jacoby, and we're
gonna work with him to get him through this." What happened?
Jacoby became Andre Johnson, Jr.

Steve will be fine, because the Texans truly are becoming a family. Larry
Johnson would be surrounded by players who want to win. Any true
competitor would jump at the chance. I truly believe our locker room
is strong enough to handle him. Team leaders: Matt Schaub, Eric Winston,
Andre Johnson, Demeco Ryans, Mario Williams, Bernard Pollard, and
Dunta Robinson will keep him in line. I'm sure Johnson is a competitor,
'cause those are the only players Todd Haley wants to run out of
Kansas City (Tony Gonzales, Bernard Pollard.)

unreals
11-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Chirs Taylor? Wali Lundy? Do you all even watch the games?

How can you compare those guys- who had very, very brief moments of good play, with Slaton? He led the AFC in total yards last year, his rookie season. He outgained more highly touted rookies like Matt Forte, Chris Johnson and Jonathan Stewart. He averaged 5 ypc, which is exceptional. He should have been considered the linchpin of this offense, yet all Kubiak has done is question him, doubt him and publicly talk about adding other RBs.

As for Jacoby Jones, again the comparison is ridiculous. Jones has had some great returns, and a few long receptions, but has never really even been a starter. He's never been, and will never be, on the same level as Slaton.

Lucky
11-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Comparing Steve Slaton with mere mortals? Blasphemy!

DerekLee1
11-09-2009, 09:11 PM

How can you compare those guys- who had very, very brief moments of good play, with Slaton? He led the AFC in total yards last year, his rookie season. He outgained more highly touted rookies like Matt Forte, Chris Johnson and Jonathan Stewart. He averaged 5 ypc, which is exceptional. He should have been considered the linchpin of this offense, yet all Kubiak has done is question him, doubt him and publicly talk about adding other RBs.

As for Jacoby Jones, again the comparison is ridiculous. Jones has had some great returns, and a few long receptions, but has never really even been a starter. He's never been, and will never be, on the same level as Slaton.

Are you for real, unreals?!? All Kubiak has done is give him opportunity after opportunity this year. Yet 7 times in 9 games, he's put the ball on the ground, and five of those times he's lost them. A lot of coaches would have benched him (at least for the rest of the game) the first time. Most would have benched him for a complete game (or more) by the third time. Kubiak didn't do it until the SEVENTH TIME. That's giving a player more than ample opportunity.

Man crush on Slaton or not, unless that dude is scoring 2 touchdowns for every fumble, you HAVE to bench him until he gets it together. And last time I checked, Slaton did NOT have 14 touchdowns this season.

m5kwatts
11-09-2009, 09:19 PM

The same Kubiak who made Slaton a starter from day 1 last year in Pittsburgh week 1? The same Kubiak who stuck with Slaton for weeks carry after carry despite leading the league in getting stuffed and fumbling? That doesn't sound like he was questioning or doubting him at all. In fact some fans accused him of sticking with Slaton for too long.

The bigger issue here beyond his fumbling is his lack of developing in the scheme. He's gone backwards as far as the one cut and go philosophy as we saw on Sunday. Not running north south in this scheme is a bigger problem than ball security or even pass protection. Backs are expected to have growing pains in those areas. But if you can't fit the scheme with your running style your not gonna get the carries when there's other backs on the roster who do that simple thing better.

DexmanC
11-09-2009, 09:29 PM

Since you want to take my post out of context, I bolded the clues
for those intelligent readers, who understand what context is. It's
really easy to change the meaning of a phrase by removing it from
the body of text. I realize what you were trying to do, but I like
the way I worded my text. I've bolded YOUR comment, and I've bolded
my response to the context in which I understood what you were saying.

Kaiser Toro
11-09-2009, 09:30 PM
Jacoby Jones is Andre Johnson Jr., wow.

DexmanC
11-09-2009, 09:34 PM

All he does is make plays. Did you see Schaub's first pass on the two
minute drive? It would have been a CLEAR INTERCEPTION, but Jacoby
saved Schaub by FLYING INTO the football out of nowhere. He caught
the bomb during the Texans' scoring run. Etc. Etc. Etc.

He makes plays everytime he's out on the field. Did you want to
him cut during preseason?

Runner
11-09-2009, 09:47 PM

You have to put it in perspective. Six months ago Slaton was the best running back to enter the league in, like, forever.

Kaiser Toro
11-09-2009, 10:09 PM
All he does is make plays. Did you see Schaub's first pass on the two
minute drive? It would have been a CLEAR INTERCEPTION, but Jacoby
saved Schaub by FLYING INTO the football out of nowhere. He caught
the bomb during the Texans' scoring run. Etc. Etc. Etc.

He makes plays everytime he's out on the field. Did you want to
him cut during preseason?

Jacoby Jones has 31 catches in 39 games. Please show a little more respect to the best player in Texans history to date.

Kaiser Toro
11-09-2009, 10:15 PM
You have to put it in perspective. Six months ago Slaton was the best running back to enter the league in, like, forever.

That is a mute point, looser. :specnatz:

Pollardized
11-09-2009, 10:16 PM
The following phone call was overheard today:

Bernard Pollard: "Hello"

Rick Smith: "Hey Bernie, it's Ricky Smith. Gotta a question for you partner. What do you think about Larry Johnson?"

Bernie: "Aw man, you know, the man likes to play. He had some smack talked about him, coaches in KC were hard on him unfairly too, but the brother is awright, you know. I'd say we should sign him"

Ricky: "What do you think about the coaches in KC Bernie?"

Bernie: "Man, those guys are FAGS."

hot pickle
11-09-2009, 10:21 PM
bring him in but only if we can get a good price... our goal line running game sucks... LJ would improve it for sure

Runner
11-09-2009, 10:25 PM

That is a mute point, looser. :specnatz:

Man, I misspell one word and this* is what I get. Cut me some slack - I'm typing on an iPhone keyboard with its rather random auto correct.

*Note: "moot" and "loser" are spelled incorrectly.

Dishman
11-09-2009, 10:29 PM
The following phone call was overheard today:

Bernard Pollard: "Hello"

Rick Smith: "Hey Bernie, it's Ricky Smith. Gotta a question for you partner. What do you think about Larry Johnson?"

Bernie: "Aw man, you know, the man likes to play. He had some smack talked about him, coaches in KC were hard on him unfairly too, but the brother is awright, you know. I'd say we should sign him"

Ricky: "What do you think about the coaches in KC Bernie?"

Bernie: "Man, those guys are FAGS."

Did anyone happen to catch last weeks South Park? Very fitting.

Kaiser Toro
11-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Man, I misspell one word and this* is what I get. Cut me some slack - I'm typing on an iPhone keyboard with its rather random auto correct.

*Note: "moot" and "loser" are spelled incorrectly.

The Precious is a heavy burden to carry. Tappy tap.

DerekLee1
11-09-2009, 10:55 PM
The Precious is a heavy burden to carry. Tappy tap.

Rep for the Tolkien reference.

Redtexan#34
11-09-2009, 11:27 PM
Does signing LJ come with a center and guard. No we need to be patient and go with Slaton and Moats and hope they can prove to be a good combo. Slaton and Moats has a ring to it where have I heard that before http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anLfoy2XsFw .

We cam solve this problem in the offseason by drafting center in 1rst, guard in sec, and This 6'1" 135lbs beast in the 3rd http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R07yQOIMCUM .

Marcus
11-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Are you people for real?

I have to ask you a question. Are you even a fan of the team called the Houston Texans? I've been on this board a long time, and have seen some corroded logic from time to time, but dude, you are truly in a class of your own.

Congrats! :clap:

El Tejano
11-09-2009, 11:36 PM
For those who are saying that Kubes has given up on Slaton, let's also remember that Kubes stated that when he gave Moats the game ball in Buffalo he immediately told Steve not to hang his head because we are going to need him to win games.

Let's also take a second to remember how everyone during the FA opening and during the draft were saying that we needed someone to spell Steve Slaton because Steve may not make a whole season and will need a breather etc....

Slaton also has had his share of chances to be "the man". We found that we have a serviceable option in Moats and so far Chris Brown hasn't done what all of us had outside hopes of him doing.

While we are on the subject of Chris Brown, does anyone understand why he is still here? Because on certain downs he gives us a viable option of protection for Matt Schaub at the running back position. Kubiak said so himself. How many times have we seen Slaton blow some blocking assignments that got Schaub in trouble (and yes I saw the Raider game where he made a great block)? Well Kubes says Moats and Slaton are the same when it comes to pass pro. I know everyone here is thinking we need Johnson to get that goaline in gear and the fact that he has only lost one fumble in 132 carries, but let's also not overlook the ability to pass protect on top of being able to do what I just mentioned.

Our team, whether we like it or not, is a pass first team and if we really want to have a chance at the playoffs, protecting Schaub is going to be priority for these last 7 important games that will have us going against Kyle Vandenbausch, Dwight Freeney, Porter, Jason Taylor and New England.

I'm not sitting here saying that LJ puts us in the playoffs automatically but for this late in the season, at no price that hurts the team, on a team that has only once reached the 100 yard rushing mark by any running back on the team, and has seen all 3 of their RBs cough up the ball in crucial times this year - I am asking, just how much does it hurt for us to get this guy? It is a rock bottom situation for both sides and quite honestly it is an upgrade over Chris Brown.

Hervoyel
11-09-2009, 11:36 PM
Cedric Benson only had a couple of years on him, and that's close to if not over the average shelf life of an NFL RB. LJ has played 6 seasons already, which is over the average NFL RB lifespan, not too mention his huge number of carries since he was drafted.

I don't mind us taking a flier and working him out, but I really don't see much coming out of it given his history and character issues.

Granted he's been in the league since 2003 and this is his 7th season but he only had 20 attempts his rookie year and the next season that went up to 120. Priest Holmes was carrying the load then. Then he had two years with massive carries Followed by two more years of fewer than 200. He's not low mileage by any means but he's not the overworked corpse that many make him out to be. He's averaging 2.7 behind that garbage line KC has. I think that's understandable. I wouldn't write him off without a closer look if I were the Texans. I'd be wary of overpaying for him but I think we would be wise to check him out.

Norg
11-09-2009, 11:49 PM
what Texans looking and players with crimnal records SHOCKED !!!! LOL

Redtexan#34
11-09-2009, 11:50 PM
Does signing LJ come with a center and guard. No we need to be patient and go with Slaton and Moats and hope they can prove to be a good combo. Slaton and Moats has a ring to it where have I heard that before http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anLfoy2XsFw .

We cam solve this problem in the offseason by drafting center in 1rst, guard in sec, and This 6'1" 135lbs beast in the 3rd http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R07yQOIMCUM .

I think you guys overlooked my post lol I think unrealz has "private eyes" for Slaton

DerekLee1
11-10-2009, 12:25 AM

:spit:Did you ACTUALLY suggest drafting a center in the first round?

AHHHAAAAAHAHAAAAAHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!! :lol:

m5kwatts
11-10-2009, 12:34 AM

Lol

How about trading up in the 1st round to draft a punter?

TexanSacDawg
11-10-2009, 01:27 AM
yall benson wasnt supposed to be good and he had problems off the field ...and he changed the scene for him and look what he is doing....just give him a try

Bulluck53
11-10-2009, 01:58 AM
I don't think this would be good at all. He's just about done and is a headcase; his attitude will continue to be a problem wherever he goes. I honestly don't mean this as a shot but if the Texans' locker room is anything like this board (bipolar week-to-week) his antics won't turn out well for what you guys are trying to accomplish...and I don't think he'd be that much of an upgrade over Slaton/Moats and even Chris Brown

Carr Bombed
11-10-2009, 02:12 AM
Lol

How about trading up in the 1st round to draft a punter?

You do realize that two centers were drafted in the first round last year right? It's not uncommon.

Carr Bombed
11-10-2009, 02:15 AM
I don't think this would be good at all. He's just about done and is a headcase; his attitude will continue to be a problem wherever he goes.

Dude, who said we were signing Pacman Jones? :)

Malloy
11-10-2009, 03:59 AM
You guys will change your mind quick once LJ punches your girlfriend in the face at a Houston nightclub.

That is, if in the BILLION to one chance that he actually ends up here.

wth is she doing at a Houston nightclub anyway, that unfaithful BEEEP! :)

If we signed him for the remainder of the year I would be OK with that.

(Just remember to alert the strippers around town in doing so!)

Malloy
11-10-2009, 04:01 AM
Comparing Steve Slaton with mere mortals? Blasphemy!

We shouldnt soil the honor of Saint Slaton!

C Madd
11-10-2009, 08:14 AM

That Nick Mangold pick was a TERRIBLE choice for the Jets, amirite?

DexmanC
11-10-2009, 08:23 AM
If Kubes hated Slaton, he'd do to HIM what he did

Jacoby Jones has 31 catches in 39 games. Please show a little more respect to the best player in Texans history to date.

Hey, Kaiser. Did you get out of high school without learning what a
"metaphor" is? The educated readers of this board knew what I was
doing when I compared Steve Slaton to Jacoby in year 2, and Jacoby
to Dre in year 3. Read my ENTIRE post. Leave what I said IN CONTEXT!!!

DexmanC
11-10-2009, 08:27 AM
I get sick of these clowns taking ONE line out of a post, CHANGING THE
CONTEXT OF THE LINE, then making an argument AGAINST THE FALSE
CONTEXT. Follow the ORIGINAL logic of the ORIGINAL post, please.

ObsiWan
11-10-2009, 08:38 AM
what Texans looking and players with crimnal records SHOCKED !!!! LOL

I, for one, will only believe it when I see it happen.

:shades:

No More 8-8's
11-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Did anyone listen to Sirius XM radio this morning, a Houston Texan fan called in and asked Randy Cross his opinion on LJ joining the Texans. Make a long story short, Cross said it wouldnt be a good fit, because he would be accepting a 3rd down back role, which he is not well suited for.

BigBull17
11-10-2009, 09:32 AM
I think a 1 year rental wouldn't ne too bad, but in no way do we extend his stay past that.

GP
11-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Why is Kubiak mentioning this before he's cleared waivers?

Doesn't that make other teams think "Gee, we better get this guy before Houston does..."?

So I don't think Gary has THAT much interest in him. If he's still available, he gets a look. And a short one, at that.

This might be more to send a signal to the current guys, namely Steve Slaton.

noxiousdog
11-10-2009, 09:41 AM
You do realize that two centers were drafted in the first round last year right? It's not uncommon.

It's definitely uncommon.
2009 - 2 - Browns, Bills
2008 - 0
2007 - 0
2006 - 1 - Nick Mangold - Jets
2005 - 1 - Chris Spencer - Seahawks
2004 - 0
2003 - 1 - Jeff Faine - Browns (played 3 years in Cleveland)
2002 - 0
2001 - 0
2000 - 0
1999 - 1 - Pats - Damian Woody - Plays tackle, not center.. now anyway.

HOU-TEX
11-10-2009, 09:52 AM
yall benson wasnt supposed to be good and he had problems off the field ...and he changed the scene for him and look what he is doing....just give him a try

Benson - smoked some tree with a bunch of buddies

LJ - has been accused of putting beat downs on women. Calling out his head coaches and making stupid comments in general.

Big difference here. LJ can run off and play with pacman for all I care.

Kaiser Toro
11-10-2009, 09:53 AM
Hey, Kaiser. Did you get out of high school without learning what a
"metaphor" is? The educated readers of this board knew what I was
doing when I compared Steve Slaton to Jacoby in year 2, and Jacoby
to Dre in year 3. Read my ENTIRE post. Leave what I said IN CONTEXT!!!

No, but I did get out of grad school and traveled the world to know that a sickly metaphor is a horrible metaphor regardless of language and context.

Perhaps my issue in getting your context is with the formatting of your posts.

Kaiser Toro
11-10-2009, 09:59 AM
I get sick of these clowns taking ONE line out of a post, CHANGING THE
CONTEXT OF THE LINE, then making an argument AGAINST THE FALSE
CONTEXT. Follow the ORIGINAL logic of the ORIGINAL post, please.

You screw up you own context with your bolding. What is it that you are making up for? Crappy metaphors or awful context?

Jacoby Jones - 31 catches/39 games = Andre Johnson Jr. WTF?

Hervoyel
11-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Guys, we should go ahead and just let the topic go right now. There's no way on earth the Texans sign this guy and that's true even after they screwed up and let Cedric Benson get away (and yes, that was an epic screw up on their part. One in a long line but I digress...) When Gary says the Texans will "look at him" all he's doing is throwing that out there to shut people up because they took so much grief earlier in the season about how good Benson is doing. He and the Texans have no intention of signing Larry Johnson and even in the unlikely event that they choose to bring him in for a workout/physical/rorshach test/whatever they still aren't planning on signing him. He's not planning on coming here either. It will be two camps making moves for their own purposes. The Texans are trying to motivate Steve Slaton into being the player that unreals has damp dreams about again and Johnson is trying to drive his value up and show that a team is interested in him. He'll go somewhere else for more money and a chance to start and we don't want him anyway because we're set with our platoon of butterfingers running backs. Gary is just trying to send a signal to his players hoping to jar the running game out of the rut it's in.

I decided this morning as I listened to callers on all the sports talk shows go on and on about Larry Johnson that this has no chance of happening. This would be like the Astros going out and signing two more expensive pitchers right after Swindell and Drabek washed out. Bob McNair isn't going to spring for an older veteran back right after watching Ahman Green pick his pocket for a couple of years.

NitroGSXR
11-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Guys, we should go ahead and just let the topic go right now. There's no way on earth the Texans sign this guy and that's true even after they screwed up and let Cedric Benson get away (and yes, that was an epic screw up on their part. One in a long line but I digress...) When Gary says the Texans will "look at him" all he's doing is throwing that out there to shut people up because they took so much grief earlier in the season about how good Benson is doing. He and the Texans have no intention of signing Larry Johnson and even in the unlikely event that they choose to bring him in for a workout/physical/rorshach test/whatever they still aren't planning on signing him. He's not planning on coming here either. It will be two camps making moves for their own purposes. The Texans are trying to motivate Steve Slaton into being the player that unreals has damp dreams about again and Johnson is trying to drive his value up and show that a team is interested in him. He'll go somewhere else for more money and a chance to start and we don't want him anyway because we're set with our platoon of butterfingers running backs. Gary is just trying to send a signal to his players hoping to jar the running game out of the rut it's in.

I decided this morning as I listened to callers on all the sports talk shows go on and on about Larry Johnson that this has no chance of happening. This would be like the Astros going out and signing two more expensive pitchers right after Swindell and Drabek washed out. Bob McNair isn't going to spring for an older veteran back right after watching Ahman Green pick his pocket for a couple of years.

I think that Larry Johnson's best bet for a large payday is to come to a playoff bound team and the Houston Texans fit that bill. He can try and push us into the playoffs and get his money next year. I really do think he'll sign with the Texans if it were up to him. Now if we can convince our front office...

Teams have until 3pm today to claim him off waivers.

Redtexan#34
11-10-2009, 10:27 AM
While the upcoming draft class is said to be one of the deepest regarding talent in memory it is lacking at the center position. There is only one 5 star center coming out according to scout.com http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=12&yr=2010&nid=83&lnid=124&rc=4&pid=9 . While there are five 5 star guards coming out http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=12&yr=2010&nid=83&lnid=124&rc=4&pid=6 .I know its rare but the above was my reason for saying center in first. It does not matter we need center and guard in the first 2 rounds. And really your comparing my pick of center to punter? That third rounder from Alabama is working out great.

Redtexan#34
11-10-2009, 12:09 PM
That Nick Mangold pick was a TERRIBLE choice for the Jets, amirite?

Thank you c madd

Big Lou
11-10-2009, 12:12 PM
We already have a Running Back that averages 2.7 yards per carry, why do we need another one.

Also one fumbles the ball on the field, and one fumbles off the field with his mouth.

I'll stick with Stevie, I think he'll get it together.

No LJ please.

TheRealJoker
11-10-2009, 12:18 PM
We might as well replace Brown with him but I cant see him being a major improvement if at all over Brown.

In other words, neither guy is going to be the short yardage runner this team needs.

Carr Bombed
11-10-2009, 01:30 PM
It's definitely uncommon.
2009 - 2 - Browns, Bills
2008 - 0
2007 - 0
2006 - 1 - Nick Mangold - Jets
2005 - 1 - Chris Spencer - Seahawks
2004 - 0
2003 - 1 - Jeff Faine - Browns (played 3 years in Cleveland)
2002 - 0
2001 - 0
2000 - 0
1999 - 1 - Pats - Damian Woody - Plays tackle, not center.. now anyway.

So 4 centers drafted in the the first round over the past 5 years......nope, not that uncommon. Show me how many punters have been drafted in the 1st round, which is what this situation was being compared to....

NitroGSXR
11-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Did anyone listen to Sirius XM radio this morning, a Houston Texan fan called in and asked Randy Cross his opinion on LJ joining the Texans. Make a long story short, Cross said it wouldnt be a good fit, because he would be accepting a 3rd down back role, which he is not well suited for.

He says he's willing to be a backup. Take that for what it's worth. Our third down back is Steve Slaton. LJ would take the hard yards whatever down that may be. He should be taking Brown's job from him entirely.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/blog/85681/index.html?xid=si_topstories

Johnson said he still can help an NFL team. But he wouldn't commit to which team he wanted to play. And he said he'd be a backup. He said his mother loves the Cowboys and wants him in Dallas. His father wants him near home in Pittsburgh. But Johnson said he's not in a position to pick his place.

dalemurphy
11-10-2009, 03:09 PM
He says he's willing to be a backup. Take that for what it's worth. Our third down back is Steve Slaton. LJ would take the hard yards whatever down that may be. He should be taking Brown's job from him entirely.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/blog/85681/index.html?xid=si_topstories

I can't listen to Randy Cross! He sounds like Matt Millen waking up from a nap. Brutal!

Blake
11-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Just bring him in on a 1 year contract and see what happens. We need to shake things up.

HoustonFrog
11-10-2009, 03:45 PM
See I don't mind moves like this. I think the guy is scum but give him a 1 year, low bid offer. If he shapes up and helps...winner/winner, chicken dinner. If he punks out or has nothing in the tank..nothing lost.

DexmanC
11-10-2009, 03:46 PM
I heard Bob Mcnair on the radio soundin open to the idea of bringin Johnson
in. Also, Bernard Pollard was very strong in his support for LJ. Bring him
in.

DexmanC
11-10-2009, 03:48 PM
See I don't mind moves like this. I think the guy is scum but give him a 1 year, low bid offer. If he shapes up and helps...winner/winner, chicken dinner. If he punks out or has nothing in the tank..nothing lost.

I say bring the scumbag in. If the scumbag won't fumble on the 1-yardline
like Moats or Brown, I'm all good. How ironic that Moats fumbles on the
1-yardline in Indy, and Steve dives in at the 1 for a touchdown.

BigBull17
11-10-2009, 03:54 PM
in. Also, Bernard Pollard was very strong in his support for LJ. Bring him
in.

Just let Pollard hit LJ everytime he opens his mouth.

JDizzle
11-10-2009, 04:34 PM
in.

wat

AnthonyE
11-10-2009, 04:35 PM
So 4 centers drafted in the the first round over the past 5 years......nope, not that uncommon. Show me how many punters have been drafted in the 1st round, which is what this situation was being compared to....

Three. All in the 70s.

GP
11-10-2009, 04:37 PM
When there's a center who can also split time at punter, that's when Kubiak will draft a center in the first round.

I think Sebastian Janikowski could do better than Myers.

SteveDeberg
11-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Recovering Chiefs fan here, live in Texas and yes damn I miss Bernard Pollard and hope Todd Haley is booting in 90 days.

That being said Larry Johnson does not have anything to offer. True the Chiefs have offensive line problems (I laugh when you all talk about your o-line would trade anytime). Hand off to Larry and he will run right into the centers posterior, no cuts no looking for an open hole, nothing. As far as his clashes he may have with haley, like I said I hate Haley but LJ clashed with Herm Edwards and Dick Vermeil too, give him enough rope and he will clash with Kubiak. What a butt head LJ is check this out:

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/11/10/1124547/larry-johnson-i-am-the-biggest

You sure you want LJ?

noxiousdog
11-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Mike Lombardi on Larry Johnson (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Diner-morning-news-Chiefs-acted-too-late.html)

Short version:
... the last three coaches he has played for have all had unpleasant experiences. His first coach, Dick Vermeil, who is well known for his kindness toward his players, called Johnson’s personality “complex.” All three were very different in their styles of coaching, so it’s safe to conclude that no matter what kind of coach is in Larry’s future, he will struggle with their relationship.

Larry as a football player is not the same player he once was in 2006. He doesn’t have the burst, acceleration or power in his lower body that would lead you to believe he can come in and help a team. I write this all the time, but running backs are not able to regain their burst, their explosive movement and their ability to break tackles with their legs (see Clinton Portis).

PHAROAH
11-10-2009, 05:15 PM
yes a 1 year contract wouldn't hurt and we will have a serious goal line back.

GP
11-10-2009, 05:44 PM
No team claimed LJ off waivers, per espn.go.com (link here (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4642672))

No team claimed running back Larry Johnson off waivers, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, which means Johnson now is free to sign with any team and the Kansas City Chiefs must pay him the balance of the $2.1 million left on his contract this season.

Place your bets now...

MeLoveTexans
11-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Per 610 Kubes just said we are sticking w/ our running backs.

I guess that settles it

False Start
11-10-2009, 05:51 PM

I guess that settles it

:clap:

Never wanted the guy on the team.

Adam Schefter's Twitter (http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter)

And now we start eliminating LJ landing spots: No more Houston - Gary Kubiak's team sticking with its backs.

NitroGSXR
11-10-2009, 06:04 PM

I guess that settles it

Boo!

SteveDeberg
11-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Trust me, as a recoverign Chiefs fan and Texans supporter both the Chiefs and the Texans are far better of without him. What part of 2.7 yards per carry would anyone want much less the locker room cancer part? Yes Bernard Pollard may have wanted to pick him up but when Pollard joins the front office/coachign staff of the Texans he can make those choices.

djohn2oo8
11-10-2009, 06:06 PM
lol, well John Clayton on ESPN just said Houston is definitely interested

SteveDeberg
11-10-2009, 06:09 PM
lol, well John Clayton on ESPN just said Houston is definitely interested

John Clayton & Motensen have as much credibility as Bud Adams. Adam Scheffter (stupid NFL network let him go) is a far better source, plushe goes back with Kubiak to the Bronco days in Denver and Kubiak already said on 610Texans are not interested.

vanknights2002
11-10-2009, 06:12 PM
I say let Foster get a shot. He's better then Brown and is younger. Back in the Off season he was the front runner for the powerback before he got injured.

Thorn
11-10-2009, 06:22 PM
I say let Foster get a shot. He's better then Brown and is younger. Back in the Off season he was the front runner for the powerback before he got injured.

I'd rather them bring Foster in for a look than Larry Johnson. LJ = TO without the talent. Who needs that kind of crap?

vanknights2002
11-10-2009, 06:59 PM
I'd rather them bring Foster in for a look than Larry Johnson. LJ = TO without the talent. Who needs that kind of crap?

Foster is on the PS and Kub talked about him and chris henry today. Saying that they might get brought up. Foster is more a one cut back and is a big back.

SteveDeberg
11-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Arian Foster! Yes I do like him and hope he would get a shot. He is a poor mans Larry Johnson without the baggage/mileage. Alot of Chiefs fans were high on him back in the draft, had he come out after the 07' season he would have been a2nd/3rd back, had some injury issues that killed his senior year but lead the SEC in rushing in 07', I think he could be another in the long list of Gary Kubiak/Alex Gibbs man of the street who runs for a 1,000 yards.

m5kwatts
11-10-2009, 08:01 PM
The LJ-Texans story isn't dead yet

per Jason La Confora's twitter http://www.twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora

"Houston making a good push for Larry Johnson. favorites to get him at this point. Washington and Patriots possibilities, too"

Me thinks there's a negotiating process taking place.

Thorn
11-10-2009, 08:05 PM
The LJ-Texans story isn't dead yet

per Jason La Confora's twitter http://www.twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora

"Houston making a good push for Larry Johnson. favorites to get him at this point. Washington and Patriots possibilities, too"

Me thinks there's a negotiating process taking place.

Excellent. Another washed out running back. You just can’t have enough of them it would seem.

NitroGSXR
11-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Excellent. Another washed out running back. You just can’t have enough of them it would seem.

Slaton and Moats are washed out?

Thorn
11-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Slaton and Moats are washed out?

NO! I was refering to some of our past signings, not our young guys. LOL

NitroGSXR
11-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Arian Foster! Yes I do like him and hope he would get a shot. He is a poor mans Larry Johnson without the baggage/mileage. Alot of Chiefs fans were high on him back in the draft, had he come out after the 07' season he would have been a2nd/3rd back, had some injury issues that killed his senior year but lead the SEC in rushing in 07', I think he could be another in the long list of Gary Kubiak/Alex Gibbs man of the street who runs for a 1,000 yards.

He had fumbling issues in college. I remember his mother vehemently defending those fumbles though. I think that's probably why Kubiak isn't ready to bring him onto the roster. He may not have a choice though. Hopefully we sign Larry Johnson and a choice will not be forced.

NitroGSXR
11-10-2009, 08:09 PM
NO! I was refering to some of our past signings, not our young guys. LOL

I can only think of one... Ahman Green. Who else did we sign that was washed out?

Thorn
11-10-2009, 08:13 PM
I can only think of one... Ahman Green. Who else did we sign that was washed out?

Dayne and Green, although I still like to kid about bringing Dayne back. LOL

Topher
11-10-2009, 08:14 PM
:choke:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d8141a1d2/Suitors-for-Larry-Johnson

dalemurphy
11-10-2009, 08:19 PM

Dayne was an end of the roster, vet minimum guy. Not really deserving of criticism. He did destroy the career of a Hall of Fame to be LT: Charles Spencer! For that, I can't forgive him. I would like to see the Charles Spencer legend to grow, though.

NitroGSXR
11-10-2009, 08:19 PM
:choke:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d8141a1d2/Suitors-for-Larry-Johnson

Anyone care to translate for me? Would really really love it if one could. I really want to know what he's saying.

Pollardized
11-10-2009, 08:20 PM
You know, I just don't see why so many people are against giving LJ a shot here. It's a low-risk high-reward situation. If he is signed and has nothing to show after a few games, Texans wasted very little money. These are grown men, I don't see him coming in and totally disrupting the locker room. I actually see a totally different scenario - he has a chip on his shoulder and something to prove. LJ could come and be the guy who tore the league up a few years ago for the rest of this season. Then he goes somewhere else anyway. I don't see how he could possibly be worse than what we have had so far THIS YEAR. Not to mention what his mere presence does to motivate Steve Slaton to be better when he is in the game. I have no problem giving a guy a second chance. He has had some issues, but how many of those KC fans didn't blast pollard on all the boards, and look what he has been to us.

NitroGSXR
11-10-2009, 08:22 PM

Eh. He ran for us on a consistent basis. Also, Dayne wasn't overpaid so I can't really throw him into the mix.

Only washed out guy would be Ahman Green. You're hard on us. If anything... crucify us for not bringing in enough prospects! We have to seriously look at LJ and make a genuine bid f or him. He will not be on the market for very long at all!

Thorn
11-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Eh. He ran for us on a consistent basis. Also, Dayne wasn't overpaid so I can't really throw him into the mix.

Only washed out guy would be Ahman Green. You're hard on us. If anything... crucify us for not bringing in enough prospects! We have to seriously look at LJ and make a genuine bid f or him. He will not be on the market for very long at all!

I was wrong about riding Schaub into the ground and admitted it, if I'm wrong about LJ I'll admit that to. No big deal. It'll neither be the first or last time I've mouthed off on this board and was wrong. :)

Hervoyel
11-10-2009, 08:37 PM

Don't you go leaving Stacey Mack and James Allen off that list.

NitroGSXR
11-10-2009, 08:37 PM
I was wrong about riding Schaub into the ground and admitted it, if I'm wrong about LJ I'll admit that to. No big deal. It'll neither be the first or last time I've mouthed off on this board and was wrong. :)

There's nothing to admit. He's not a Houston Texan. He's currently filling out applications.

RTP2110
11-10-2009, 08:53 PM
pft article stating more of the same..

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/10/report-texans-favorites-for-larry-johnson/

m5kwatts
11-10-2009, 08:59 PM
I'm getting excited about this. I would love to see LJ make his Texans debut on MNF and gash the Titans.

LJ's YPC is only 0.4 lower than Slaton and LJ's been running behind the worst offensive line in the league with no receivers so safeties sat on him all day.

He's gonna be a beast for these final weeks if in fact he signs here.

dalemurphy
11-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Don't you go leaving Stacey Mack and James Allen off that list.

UGGH.. Stacey Mack!

vanknights2002
11-10-2009, 09:15 PM
I'm getting excited about this. I would love to see LJ make his Texans debut on MNF and gash the Titans.

LJ's YPC is only 0.4 lower than Slaton and LJ's been running behind the worst offensive line in the league with no receivers so safeties sat on him all day.

He's gonna be a beast for these final weeks if in fact he signs here.

If he signs, he could be a beast. But I think we have a big RB on the PS, that can do the job by the name of Foster. If LJ signs then I'm all for him and would love it if he's a beast.

AnthonyE
11-10-2009, 09:24 PM
pft article stating more of the same..

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/10/report-texans-favorites-for-larry-johnson/

Update to teh article:

UPDATE: Schefter is steadfast. He tells PFT: "Larry Johnson has as much chance of playing for the Texans as I do."

m5kwatts
11-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Update to teh article:

We have to read between the lines though. What the Texans are telling people could very well be the exact opposite of what the Texans are actually doing. You don't walk into a negotiation and throw all your chips on the table. There is a negotiating process taking place.

BTW La Canfora was as adamant about the Texans interest on NFLN Total Access as that last quote from Scheffter so these two guys are really putting their reps on the line lol.

awtysst
11-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Arian Foster and Chris Henry are on the PS. If they sign LJ it is a sign that neither of them is ready this season. Also, who do they cut to make room for LJ? Does Jamison return to the PS?

vanknights2002
11-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Arian Foster and Chris Henry are on the PS. If they sign LJ it is a sign that neither of them is ready this season. Also, who do they cut to make room for LJ? Does Jamison return to the PS?

cut Fred Bennett

michaelm
11-10-2009, 09:42 PM
I just can't see this actually happening.
I think I'd be open to signing LJ, because he should be cheap, and we might catch lightning in a bottle, ala Pollard.
I think it's a super low risk proposition with very little down side as long as you can live with his baggage.
If we sign him, it will show me that the FO is willing to push their normal boundries to build a winner.
I think I'd be open yo this signing just so we can shake up our choir boy image.
Still don't see it happening, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NitroGSXR
11-10-2009, 09:43 PM

I think it's a sign that neither have been brought up this whole time before the whole LJ thing. I don't think that Kubiak ever dreamed of starting Ryan Moats.

I bet we cut Chris Brown if LJ comes on.

RTP2110
11-10-2009, 09:44 PM
So how much stock do we put into the fact the a big photo of LJ is the first thing you see on the Texans homepage?

Sal Rosenberg
11-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Can someone tell me what he said exactly and/or how that will effect his abilty to be a contributing running back for any team?:foottap:

GP
11-10-2009, 09:49 PM
I think what the addition of LJ might do is grow Steve up a little bit.

Now, not only has Moats gotten more play...but the staff goes out and grabs a malcontent guy who's on the rebound and plugs him into the mix.

Translation: Look pal, it isn't about YOU. It's about getting better no matter who it is that gets us there. So man up, or fold up.

I'm so ready for the team to genuinely get to the point of having consistency that I don't care if it means the demise of Steve Slaton or anybody else for that matter. God love the guy and all that, but I'm ready for the next level.

NitroGSXR
11-10-2009, 09:50 PM
So how much stock do we put into the fact the a big photo of LJ is the first thing you see on the Texans homepage?

Rick Smith has stated that the Texans are no longer in the hunt for Larry Johnson as per chron.com. Story posted at 8:46pm.

*sigh*

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6714203.html

GP
11-10-2009, 09:53 PM

Mmmm....not much.

Because I saw it just now, and it looks like it's only a news story. Hey, it's what Texans fans are talking about right now anyways...so, why not put the teaser (LJ photo, and subsequent headline about the discussions) up there and get people to click on it.

Now, if he's holding a Texans jersey in a photo. There might be something going on there. :captainobvious:

NitroGSXR
11-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Mmmm....not much.

Because I saw it just now, and it looks like it's only a news story. Hey, it's what Texans fans are talking about right now anyways...so, why not put the teaser (LJ photo, and subsequent headline about the discussions) up there and get people to click on it.

Now, if he's holding a Texans jersey in a photo. There might be something going on there. :captainobvious:

It's more of the front office trying to pacify Texan Nation by showing that they at least looked at him.

GP
11-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Rick Smith has stated that the Texans are no longer in the hunt for Larry Johnson as per chron.com. Story posted at 8:46pm.

*sigh*

Well, this is like a girl telling you she wants to go to the prom with you and then you find out she decided to go with Stephen instead.

And where's Stephen today? He's working at Burger King. And where am I? I'm making five figures. So take THAT, Rebecca! You lying, no good...err, uh...sorry. I got a little carried away.

Carry on.

RTP2110
11-10-2009, 10:02 PM

*sigh*

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w7/Pikachelsea/MySpace%20crap/FFFFUUUU.jpg

DiehardChris
11-10-2009, 10:05 PM
That's the right decision. I'm glad the evaluation revealed that he was no help as a player, or as a person.

NitroGSXR
11-10-2009, 10:06 PM
That's the right decision. I'm glad the evaluation revealed that he was no help as a player, or as a person.

Yeah. Let's stick with our fumbling by committee.

Ugh.

This is stupid. We've got 7 games left and in the thick of a wild card hunt. A move needs to be made!

mattieuk
11-10-2009, 10:10 PM
Our locker room cannot fit all the baggage he brings with him.

I don't want him from a football stand point, and most definitely don't want his off the field antics.

On the field, his receiving is nothing notable, and his yardage has obviously been lower from his big two years, and in that time he has played in 27 of 40 (about two thirds) of all games, due to injuries and suspensions. His average of 2.7 YPC is not that hot...even Slaton is out-yarding him, with 16 less carries. LJ is touchdown-less this year as well. I'm not sold that he is anything like the player that went pro-bowling, and I think he won't be as cheap as many expect if there are a few teams interested...with him being willing to take a back up role, that only widens his potential landing sites.

Off the field, this guy is just ridiculous, I don't need to list what he has done. I didn't want Benson for his off the field worries (who has been behaving for a lot longer than LJ has been, and wasn't just coming off a suspension a day ago), and I definitely don't want LJ, largely because he's just plain trouble.

Vinnie
11-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Much Ado About Nothing

Sal Rosenberg
11-10-2009, 10:15 PM

I don't want him from a football stand point, and most definitely don't want his off the field antics.

On the field, his receiving is nothing notable, and his yardage has obviously been lower from his big two years, and in that time he has played in 27 of 40 (about two thirds) of all games, due to injuries and suspensions. His average of 2.7 YPC is not that hot...even Slaton is out-yarding him, with 16 less carries. LJ is touchdown-less this year as well. I'm not sold that he is anything like the player that went pro-bowling, and I think he won't be as cheap as many expect if there are a few teams interested...with him being willing to take a back up role, that only widens his potential landing sites.

Off the field, this guy is just ridiculous, I don't need to list what he has done. I didn't want Benson for his off the field worries (who has been behaving for a lot longer than LJ has been, and wasn't just coming off a suspension a day ago), and I definitely don't want LJ, largely because he's just plain trouble.

Is he more of a risk than Mike Bell or Cedrick Benson?We passed on both.

NitroGSXR
11-10-2009, 10:21 PM

Let's thumb our noses up at all who carry some baggage! No need to bring Larry Johnson into town and at least interview him... nahhhhh.

We don't want your sort around here. We didn't even want the current NFL's rushing leader! Why would we want you! Be gone, LJ. Shoo...

The Houston Texans are a smug bunch.

DiehardChris
11-10-2009, 10:22 PM
Much Ado About Nothing

Yep, always was... but that didn't stop me from spending hours on it yesterday, LOL

m5kwatts
11-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Well, this is like a girl telling you she wants to go to the prom with you and then you find out she decided to go with Stephen instead.

And where's Stephen today? He's working at Burger King. And where am I? I'm making five figures. So take THAT, Rebecca! You lying, no good...err, uh...sorry. I got a little carried away.

Carry on.

This is more like turning down a butterface

Its an option when you're desperate, guess we're not desperate enough

sometexansfan
11-10-2009, 10:26 PM
So much for that.

Mike Kerns
11-10-2009, 10:29 PM

I usually agree with you all the way, Chris. But not this time. Yeah, he's a piece of sh*t. But he is a piece of sh*t that doesn't fumble in the red zone every game.

NitroGSXR
11-10-2009, 10:33 PM
I usually agree with you all the way, Chris. But not this time. Yeah, he's a piece of sh*t. But he is a piece of sh*t that doesn't fumble in the red zone every game.

Exactly. We are less than three yards from making a significant change in our W/L record. 7 games (plus playoffs) is all I wanted him for. How do you not at least invite him down for an interview?

Watch us overpay for a member of the Vienna Boys Choir to play RB.

Sal Rosenberg
11-10-2009, 10:33 PM
let's thumb our noses up at all who carry some baggage! No need to bring larry johnson into town and at least interview him... Nahhhhh.

We don't want your sort around here. We didn't even want the current nfl's rushing leader! Why would we want you! Be gone, lj. Shoo...

The houston texans are a smug bunch.

bravo!

DiehardChris
11-10-2009, 10:38 PM

You can find any number of free agents or undrafted free agents who can carry the ball without fumbling. If you just wanted him for his ability to hold on to the ball, there are many other directions you can go.

NitroGSXR
11-10-2009, 10:40 PM
You can find any number of free agents or undrafted free agents who can carry the ball without fumbling. If you just wanted him for his ability to hold on to the ball, there are many other directions you can go.

THEN WHY ARE WE STICKING WITH OUR TRIO???????????? Moats got the start? What? Moats?

I'm really ticked off. I'm a little tired of the choirboy act. I love Pollard and Cushing. They're not the nicest football players out there yet all we do is rant and rave about them.

DiehardChris
11-10-2009, 10:41 PM
Exactly. We are less than three yards from making a significant change in our W/L record. 7 games (plus playoffs) is all I wanted him for. How do you not at least invite him down for an interview?

Watch us overpay for a member of the Vienna Boys Choir to play RB.

I couldn't disagree more.

Both issues against the Jags and Cards were to tie, not to win. Neither game would have been over.

13 penalties went a lot more to us losing to Indy than anything else. Just my opinion.

You guys have to realize that there are people within the organization that can give honest feedback on how LJ is when he's not here in an interview on his best behavior.

...and I really think this has just as much to do with ability than it does character problems. He might go to a team with a great O-line and do well, but I don't know why anyone thinks he would do well here with our awful run-blocking O-line.

DiehardChris
11-10-2009, 10:42 PM
THEN WHY ARE WE STICKING WITH OUR TRIO???????????? Moats got the start? What? Moats?

I'm really ticked off. I'm a little tired of the choirboy act. I love Pollard and Cushing. They're not the nicest football players out there yet all we do is rant and rave about them.

They're nasty ON the field. There's a huge difference.

Larry Johnson has never been very nasty on the field. He's just a turd off the field.

There's a big difference between nastiness on the field (Cushing, Pollard, Bart Scott, Cortland Finnegan) and being a knucklehead (Larry Johnson, Travis Johnson, etc).

DiehardChris
11-10-2009, 10:44 PM

I think we're going to see either Arian Foster or Chris Henry pretty soon. I'm not saying those guys are better than LJ - but they already know the system, are already integrated into the team, etc.

Kubiak is huge on chemistry, and though it hasn't gotten us THAT far, I don't think he wants to take a chance on a guy who just doesn't have that much left.

If LJ looked like he had much left, I think they would take the chance and sign him regardless of the character issues.

Sal Rosenberg
11-10-2009, 10:52 PM
Why don't they just ask Pollard what he thinks?He had the same issues with the same head coach.:butterfly:

NitroGSXR
11-10-2009, 11:12 PM
I had to give this guy's comments some due rep here. I love it!

From the comments section of the Chron LJ rejection article...

cifey wrote:
I like the 2 back system, but they need to do it in I formation.
hand the ball to back 1,
back2 follows him into the pile and grabs the fumble.
Team work!

GP
11-10-2009, 11:16 PM
I think the Benson deal-breaker was the money, and role.

I think the LJ deal-breaker was his attitude. I'm betting that he and/or his agent tried to roll up on us like he was all that & a bag of chips, and should be treated as such.

I think this ended so soon that it was Rick Smith souring on the first impression.

NitroGSXR
11-10-2009, 11:19 PM
I couldn't disagree more.

Both issues against the Jags and Cards were to tie, not to win. Neither game would have been over.

13 penalties went a lot more to us losing to Indy than anything else. Just my opinion.

You guys have to realize that there are people within the organization that can give honest feedback on how LJ is when he's not here in an interview on his best behavior.

...and I really think this has just as much to do with ability than it does character problems. He might go to a team with a great O-line and do well, but I don't know why anyone thinks he would do well here with our awful run-blocking O-line.
Disagree with what? If Chris Brown makes that TD then a loss is averted as a result from that play. It will not be the play that caused them to end in a loss. That's a significant change from our W/L record in the time being. Same with the Slaton fumble and the Moats fumble. All three fumbles have meant the difference as to where our team is on the W/L column.

I keep hearing both sides of the argument. Both sides are arguing their sides a bit too hard. It may not be the play that won the game but it's certainly the play that was the difference from being in a losing standpoint.

HJam72
11-10-2009, 11:25 PM
I had to give this guy's comments some due rep here. I love it!

From the comments section of the Chron LJ rejection article...

That's hilarious! :goodpost:

HJam72
11-10-2009, 11:28 PM
Why don't they just ask Pollard what he thinks?He had the same issues with the same head coach.:butterfly:

Maybe they did and his answer had something to do with the non-signing.

Or....maybe he just said, "Oh, he ain't nothing. I can tackle that *&^(%." :)

mexican_texan
11-10-2009, 11:28 PM
I don't know about you guys, but the overwhelming support in the locker room for Larry Johnson is a ringing endorsement. That settles it for me.

Pantherstang84
11-10-2009, 11:31 PM
It's a sad day when folks are pining for a washed up RB with personal baggage. This is like the evil twin of Ahman Green.

NitroGSXR
11-10-2009, 11:37 PM
I don't know about you guys, but the overwhelming support in the locker room for Larry Johnson is a ringing endorsement.

That locker room needs to get a lot louder.

I don't understand this front office. I'm frustrated. I'm the kind of guy who's happy-go-lucky when it comes to the Texans (and any other sport/team as well). I'm pretty easy to go along with whether or not if I agree with the team's choices. This smugness is getting a bit infuriating. I'll have forgiven them and begin to move on and accept their decisions but tonight... I'm an extremely frustrated Texans fan...

I need a man who can get one yard without fumbling the football. A former pro bowler (was he all pro too?) who is not injured nor has shown signs of being injured continues to carry a resume that explicitly shows that he does not fumble the football... be dammed what he does off the field. 7 games and he's outta here. Slaton's our star RB but he needs help! 7 games!!!! It's time to push the panic button and throw some of our cap room at this guy for 7 games.

Dammit. I want a friggin' football player.

HJam72
11-10-2009, 11:42 PM
Speaking of Slaton, I was in the Houston area the other night and was listening to some "expert" guest on 610. He said 2 things that I remember. He said that Okoye was the most overrated player on the team and that Slaton overperformed last year and is really no better than what we thought we had when we drafted him. I hope that doesn't turn out to be the case.

steelbtexan
11-10-2009, 11:42 PM

I don't understand this front office. I'm frustrated. I'm the kind of guy who's happy-go-lucky when it comes to the Texans (and any other sport/team as well). I'm pretty easy to go along with whether or not if I agree with the team's choices. This smugness is getting a bit infuriating. I'll have forgiven them and begin to move on and accept their decisions but tonight... I'm an extremely frustrated Texans fan...

I need a man who can get one yard without fumbling the football. A former pro bowler (was he all pro too?) who is not injured nor has shown signs of being injured continues to carry a resume that explicitly shows that he does not fumble the football... be dammed what he does off the field. 7 games and he's outta here. Slaton's our star RB but he needs help! 7 games!!!! It's time to push the panic button and throw some of our cap room at this guy for 7 games.

What he said

Rick Smith is taking a bullett for McNair.

Even though McNair said he would let Smithiak make the call on LJ, I dont believe McNair is being truthful. IMO

mexican_texan
11-11-2009, 12:16 AM

4 years ago, I'd be with you. Larry Johnson is a shell of his former self, he no longer has that great O-line in front of him.

Grams
11-11-2009, 07:27 AM
LJ has done hardly anything the past 2 years. He has anger management problems, can't get along with any of the coaches the Chiefs have had and beats up on women.

But he hangs onto the football so you want him on the Texans?

It's one thing to play mean and nasty on the field, a whole other story to play mean and nasty in the locker room or at home.

We don't need a washed up RB who has those kind of off-field issues.

dalemurphy
11-11-2009, 08:26 AM

Nitro,

We aren't the Cowboys! and for that I am thankful every day. I was a Cowboy fan for 20 years and left them the year they won their final Superbowl in 1996. It was the emptiest championship win I've ever experienced as a sports fan. When the organization you root for is so despicable and soulless, it taints the whole experience.

Larry Johnson beats/assaults women with regularity... ****** Larry Johnson!!

and thank you, Bob McNair, Rick Smith, and Gary Kubiak for building a team the right way. One that we can be proud of.

I'm not looking for 53 choir boys, but let's not throw money at grown men that attack women. Seems pretty simple, actually.

BigBull17
11-11-2009, 08:34 AM
I think his lack of production is the bigger issue than his character flaws. He just isnt that good at this point in his career. I really do think and believe McNair was gonna let this happen if Rick and Gary thought it was worth it.

dalemurphy
11-11-2009, 08:43 AM
I think his lack of production is the bigger issue than his character flaws. He just isnt that good at this point in his career. I really do think and believe McNair was gonna let this happen if Rick and Gary thought it was worth it.

Based on our history with free agent RBs, I don't think production has anything to do with it. :gun:

Blake
11-11-2009, 08:46 AM
I think LJ will end up in an NFC East uni.

playa465
11-11-2009, 09:10 AM
LJ has some issues, maybe he could use some mentorship...we as fans never know the whole story...To speak of his production is kinda lame, there has not be 1 productive thing about the Chiefs offense the last few years so it wasn't just him. We have leaders on this team and if 1 person destroys the entire team's chemistry then we have a lot more problems than just playing football...alot of us thought Dunta would be a distraction when he returned (esp after the shoe incident) but he hasn't led any disruptions that we can see. Personally I don't think LJ is a one cut and go type of RB, he is more of a RB that patiently reads his blocks and then hits the opening...but he is strong and powerful, more so than anyone we have on our roster. Its all moot at this point...and the world keeps on spinning

DerekLee1
11-11-2009, 09:23 AM
When they say they have confidence in their backs and what they can do after the break, I wonder if that means they may be ready to give Foster or Henry a shot. Personally, I'd like to see what Foster could do with the first team. He's bigger than Slaton and Moats (although not quite as big as Brown), and I loved what I saw from him at camp. That's not to say that translates well into game conditions, but I'd love to see what he could do.

dalemurphy
11-11-2009, 09:26 AM
LJ has some issues, maybe he could use some mentorship...we as fans never know the whole story...To speak of his production is kinda lame, there has not be 1 productive thing about the Chiefs offense the last few years so it wasn't just him. We have leaders on this team and if 1 person destroys the entire team's chemistry then we have a lot more problems than just playing football...alot of us thought Dunta would be a distraction when he returned (esp after the shoe incident) but he hasn't led any disruptions that we can see. Personally I don't think LJ is a one cut and go type of RB, he is more of a RB that patiently reads his blocks and then hits the opening...but he is strong and powerful, more so than anyone we have on our roster. Its all moot at this point...and the world keeps on spinning

He pled guilty to two counts of assault on women... the last incident occured in the past 2 years. That's enough of the whole story for me... and, tough for a bunch of 23 year olds to mentor a guy about to turn 30.

DerekLee1
11-11-2009, 09:36 AM
He pled guilty to two counts of assault on women... the last incident occured in the past 2 years. That's enough of the whole story for me... and, tough for a bunch of 23 year olds to mentor a guy about to turn 30.

No he didn't. He plead guilty to disturbing the peace. There were allegations but never any criminal charges or lawsuits brought about from any assaults on women. I'm not defending the guy, because normally where there's smoke there's fire, but we have to be clear here. He has NEVER been charged with assault on any women. Many athletes get accused of things to try and force settlements with gold diggers. (Big Ben ring a bell?)

NitroGSXR
11-11-2009, 09:36 AM

What the heck does him beating up on women have to do with him carrying the rock for 7 games. Like I said... I want a football player. We know that he'll be using this season as a springboard to get a contract from somebody next season. I think it'll be fine. We're desperate.

I do not condone beating up on women. I'm just saying that's a legal matter and it's got nothing to do with football...

BigBull17
11-11-2009, 09:49 AM
Foster or Henry may be on the team out of the Bye. Brown offers nothing, so I think he is the first one out the door. To little production from a position too not try something new.

dalemurphy
11-11-2009, 10:00 AM
What the heck does him beating up on women have to do with him carrying the rock for 7 games. Like I said... I want a football player. We know that he'll be using this season as a springboard to get a contract from somebody next season. I think it'll be fine. We're desperate.

I do not condone beating up on women. I'm just saying...

Nothing. But, I don't like to cheer for, and give my money to despicable human beings.

dalemurphy
11-11-2009, 10:04 AM

I do not condone beating up on women. I'm just saying that's a legal matter and it's got nothing to do with football...

If he had a bunch of speeding tickets or owed money to the IRS, I wouldn't have an issue with him. The point is... it's not a legal issue, it's a moral one. If the leaders of our football team decided he was too bad of a person to have the privilege of playing for our team, then I say, "excellent!"... If they decided he isn't a good football player anymore and they're better off with what they have, then "great".

Either way, Nitro, we're winning 10-11 games, probably going to the playoffs, and we wear going to have a lot of fun watching them play for the next 2-3 months.

BigTimeTexanFan
11-11-2009, 10:12 AM
I love how people tend to overreact when they don't get their way. Nobody knows how much or little time they spent on scouting Larry Johnson. Maybe it so happens that he just wasn't a fit here in Houston. Yet we get all these posts about how the front office is stupid because they didn't sign "my" guy. All I know for sure is that LJ's performance has dropped off significantly and I feel comfortable with letting the people who get paid to evaluate make decisions like this.

ChampionTexan
11-11-2009, 10:15 AM

He's a piece of crap as a person, and a piece of crap as a RB. Other than that, there's no reason we shouldn't have brought him on board.

There seems to be a number of comparisons to Ced Benson. Ced Benson was a high draft pick who hadn't panned out in Chicago, and was 25 years old when we first started talking to him (26 years old when we supposedly made an offer to him last off-season). He carried 420 times when he was with the Bears. He was young, labeled a first round bust, and there was a reason to believe he might be physically able and mentally motivated to turn things around.

Larry Johnson is a very soon to be 30 year old back who's had injury issues over the last 2-3 years, and btw who's fumbled 7 times in his last 19 starts. Yeah, there's probably an instance or two where a change of scenery proved a positive for a RB in his position, but if you look at the odds, it's far, far more likely that he's just done. The realistic reason for optimism that existed with Ced Benson just isn't nearly as realistic with LJ.

Lastly, anybody who has skewered the Texans for the stupidity of the Ahman Green signing is a complete and total hypocrite if they're complaining about this. Yeah, Johnson would be far cheaper, but a 30 year old RB who's got a crappy recent on-field history, and even some injury issues presents significant risks even if those risks are not financial.

indiantexan
11-11-2009, 10:41 AM

Strongly agree

HOU-TEX
11-11-2009, 10:56 AM

Zgonina can calf slap him when he's out of line. The calves on that dude could knock some sense into anyone.

Seriously, 11 pages on the board for this dude?

HOU-TEX
11-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Maybe this will help put it to rest?

Derrin Horton reports that the Houston Texans are not interested in free agent Larry Johnson.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d8141ccd6/Texans-won-t-pursue-LJ

Second Honeymoon
11-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Nothing. But, I don't like to cheer for, and give my money to despicable human beings.

gotta agree. i don't need choirboys but when you know the guy is a spoiled, petulant, whining, race-baiting, and women beating/disrespecting runningback on the backside of his career....it just doesn't feel right.

if they make the move, i'll try and get behind it but it just won't feel right.

has anything changed regarding this? it sounds like he will have 3 or 4 teams competing for him at just above veterans minimum with incentives and I don't think we will be one of those 4.

HOU-TEX
11-11-2009, 11:58 AM
gotta agree. i don't need choirboys but when you know the guy is a spoiled, petulant, whining, race-baiting, and women beating/disrespecting runningback on the backside of his career....it just doesn't feel right.

if they make the move, i'll try and get behind it but it just won't feel right.

has anything changed regarding this? it sounds like he will have 3 or 4 teams competing for him at just above veterans minimum with incentives and I don't think we will be one of those 4.

Check out my post right above yours. :mcnugget:

Second Honeymoon
11-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Check out my post right above yours. :mcnugget:

noobed :king:

HOU-TEX
11-11-2009, 12:11 PM
noobed :king:

Define noobed

steelbtexan
11-11-2009, 12:12 PM

Disagree

If you have followed McNairs history not only in the NFL but also in business you would know LJ had no chance of becoming a Texan.

If he plays well for another team (which I expect to be the case) and the Texans dont make the playoffs (Which I hope doesn't happen) will the naysayers on LJ say they were wrong?

I bet that answer will be no.

Second Honeymoon
11-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Define noobed

hard to define. kinda like d'oh or my bad.

used in the context, 'd'oh, i forgot to read thru the rest of the page after replying to Dale. Screwed up and got noobed'

HoustonFrog
11-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Anyone see this Texans/Johnson move as similar to the Texas Hiring a D Corrdinator move? "We are doing our due diligence but already have our answer" type stuff. I don't think the interest was ever there.

HOU-TEX
11-11-2009, 12:44 PM
hard to define. kinda like d'oh or my bad.

used in the context, 'd'oh, i forgot to read thru the rest of the page after replying to Dale. Screwed up and got noobed'

Ha, ok gotcha.

Anyone see this Texans/Johnson move as similar to the Texas Hiring a D Corrdinator move? "We are doing our due diligence but already have our answer" type stuff. I don't think the interest was ever there.

Personally, I thought Kubiak just told the truth of what they were going to do. McClain and the rest of his buddies took what he said and ran with it. They just ran into a brickwall, as usual.

I think the staff likely does their research on every player released/cut, no matter the asshat level. I suppose they want to come to their own conclusion rather than what's been said. I reckon all teams do something similar.

Texan_Bill
11-11-2009, 12:47 PM
:whew /END Thread!

JB
11-11-2009, 12:48 PM

Please!

HoustonFrog
11-11-2009, 12:51 PM

Larry Johnson....I think a guy who plays a Grand Mama character on the side would be good for the locker room.

HOU-TEX
11-11-2009, 12:59 PM
From the local rag:

After evaluating Larry Johnson for the last two days, the Texans have decided not to pursue the free agent running back.

"We took all the factors into consideration — football, off-the-field issues, and we determined that it wasn't a good fit for us at this time," general manager Rick Smith said. "We've got confidence in our backs. When we come back from our open date, we expect big things out of them."

/End thread?

NitroGSXR
11-11-2009, 01:17 PM
From the local rag:

/End thread?

From way back on page nine of this thread... this article was posted.

No. Not /end thread. Larry Johnson's still a FA. Until he's signed by somebody... this thread shall truck on. Deal with it!

:chili:

DiehardChris
11-11-2009, 01:43 PM

I think that's exactly how it went down.

OzzO
11-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Meh - they did the "due dilegence" with E. James as well. I think they didn't do as much with Green and now they're a bit gun shy with older RB's.

I wouldn't mind seeing if the practice squad RB's may step up. It may end up being a RBBUC. (running back by ultra committee)

Pollardized
11-11-2009, 01:55 PM
I have one final thought/question - What will everyone say if LJ signs with a team we have yet to play this season (Colts, Pats) and runs all over us? What if he carried a new team to victory over the Texans? How pissed would people be? Would Smith get a pass on that?

dalemurphy
11-11-2009, 02:29 PM
I have one final thought/question - What will everyone say if LJ signs with a team we have yet to play this season (Colts, Pats) and runs all over us? What if he carried a new team to victory over the Texans? How pissed would people be? Would Smith get a pass on that?

Smith would get a pass. I'd be pretty pissed at Bush for letting that bum run all over us though!

NitroGSXR
11-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Smith would get a pass. I'd be pretty pissed at Bush for letting that bum run all over us though!

Kinda like he's getting a pass for Cedric Benson?

HOU-TEX
11-11-2009, 02:32 PM
From way back on page nine of this thread... this article was posted.

No. Not /end thread. Larry Johnson's still a FA. Until he's signed by somebody... this thread shall truck on. Deal with it!

:chili:

Dude, please. This thread was dead from the getgo. It should be moved to the NFL section at the very least. He's got nothing to do with the Texans! Deal with it!

Runner
11-11-2009, 02:33 PM

This may surprise some, but I'd give Smith a pass on that.

At the time I was critical of the Texans when they passed on last year's in-season acquisition of Benson. Still am. I'm not talking about the bidding war in the off-season, but the chance to pick up a young running back with something to prove when other teams weren't interested. It would have been low risk and low cost with (at the time) potential for medium reward. That has surprisingly turned into high reward for the Bengals.

I don't think Johnson will sign for low cost, and I wouldn't expect his high mileage body to be even medium reward for very long.

Pass.

dalemurphy
11-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Kinda like he's getting a pass for Cedric Benson?

absolutely! It is impossible to make every right call. Smith has made outstanding personnel decisions, as a whole. Not only that, but just because a player prospers in one envirionment doesn't mean he would in every environment. Regarding Benson, I don't know how he would've fit in here. Clearly the risk paid off for Cincinnati but that's the same organizatin that turned down 2 1st round picks for Chad Johnson, drafted Flabby T*ts McGee ahead of Oher, and has Mike Brown's goofy daughter in charge of contract negotiations.

Rick Smith's list of accomplishments here, regarding personnel, is large. We're the youngest team in the NFL, we're good, we're very talented, we have at least 8 draft picks next season, and we have plenty of room under the cap. Life is good as a Texan Fan, Nitro!

GP
11-11-2009, 02:48 PM

That's a legitimate concern.

Nobody is ever as dead as they might appear. He was stuck in the same old place, going int the same old circles. And then they cut him.

Most players snap out of it and realize they can't stumble around in a trance all day anymore. Except for PacMan Jones. He, on the other hand, is the exception to the rule.

But I figure LJ could run OK behind our line. KC hasn't had a passing attack since when? No passing game makes it hard to establish the run. Period. I'd say our passing game has more impact on our ability to run than the caliber of our o-line run blocking skills.

Anywho, you have a good point. But we can't sign people just to stash them away so that other teams won't use them against us.

ChampionTexan
11-11-2009, 05:02 PM
That's a legitimate concern.

Nobody is ever as dead as they might appear. He was stuck in the same old place, going int the same old circles. And then they cut him.

Untrue!

Lots of players are just as dead as they appear - particularly runningbacks. Shaun Alexander and Edgerrin James are two examples of "older/high mileage" backs who when they were done, were done. Just glad it wasn't the Texans who found out they really were that bad.

With RB's especially, it's very often falling off a cliff rather than a slow descent into mediocrity.

ObsiWan
11-11-2009, 05:52 PM
This may surprise some, but I'd give Smith a pass on that.

At the time I was critical of the Texans when they passed on last year's in-season acquisition of Benson. Still am. I'm not talking about the bidding war in the off-season, but the chance to pick up a young running back with something to prove when other teams weren't interested. It would have been low risk and low cost with (at the time) potential for medium reward. That has surprisingly turned into high reward for the Bengals.

I don't think Johnson will sign for low cost, and I wouldn't expect his high mileage body to be even medium reward for very long.

Pass.

We have a winner!
Benson would have been a lower risk. He's younger, had something to prove, possibly cheaper, and less "baggage" - both in and out of the locker room.
Rep for you

steelbtexan
11-11-2009, 06:21 PM
I think that's exactly how it went down.

This is how they CYA.

I dont agree with how they do their business but I dont get a vote.

AZwhoopr
11-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Is Larry Johnson really even that old? If anything i'd think he's in his high twenties right?(Call me lazy for not looking it up lol). Now obviously he's got a big mouth off the field, but I feel like he could help the team alot. He's obviously not as good as he used to be, but put him on the Texans and that's a team that could make him way better of a player than the Chiefs can. I don't care how bad our offensive line is, our pass attack will help him be a better player than he was in KC. And not to mention, he could help us alot by not coughing up the ball and running over defenders. He'd also be better than what we have right now in pass protection. With that said, i don't like him as a person at all but we could use him in our system. And i think if your gonna sign him, right now is the best time to do it so he could use the bye week and next week to learn our system and be ready to go for us as soon as possible.

Edit: Didn't notice the thread was changed to "texans not interested in LJ" haha oh well I still gave my two cents.

NitroGSXR
11-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Is Larry Johnson really even that old? If anything i'd think he's in his high twenties right?(Call me lazy for not looking it up lol). Now obviously he's got a big mouth off the field, but I feel like he could help the team alot. He's obviously not as good as he used to be, but put him on the Texans and that's a team that could make him way better of a player than the Chiefs can. I don't care how bad our offensive line is, our pass attack will help him be a better player than he was in KC. And not to mention, he could help us alot by not coughing up the ball and running over defenders. He'd also be better than what we have right now in pass protection. With that said, i don't like him as a person at all but we could use him in our system. And i think if your gonna sign him, right now is the best time to do it so he could use the bye week and next week to learn our system and be ready to go for us as soon as possible.
He just turned 30. That's an extremely deadly age for RBs.

There's not really much of a system for him to learn. If he's signed, his job will be to get the one yard TDs. Run, Push people out of your way, fight for the TD. Not really much to learn there.

Slaton and Moats will be our feature back. LJ for goallines.

C'mon Rick! SIGN HIM!

SteveDeberg
08-20-2010, 03:11 PM

Ok I have not spent much time here but how prophetic, a year later and it looks lke Arian Foster may be the man for the Texans!!

The Pencil Neck
08-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Ok I have not spent much time here but how prophetic, a year later and it looks lke Arian Foster may be the man for the Texans!!

A lot of people were very happy with the pickup of both Arian Foster and Jeremiah Johnson as UDFA's last year. And several people were saying that one or both were going to do well for us and would alleviate the fears that a lot of us had for not picking a RB during teh draft.

So... you weren't totally alone in your prophetic abilities.