PDA

View Full Version : couple of good articles about the fumble and neutral zone

utahmark
11-08-2009, 11:17 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/5406/attention-texans-neutral-zone-off-limits

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/5412/how-colts-smart-challenge-changed-a-game

redwhiteANDblue
11-08-2009, 11:19 PM
yeah...thanks for reminding me buddy

Norg
11-08-2009, 11:28 PM
some of these calls were insane i thought

o well i guess hopefully they will call some insane calls on the colts when they play in Houston

dream_team
11-08-2009, 11:46 PM
Read the comments on the article about the challenge. hooosierdaddy01 made a good point that I didn't realize on that play. The picture in the article clearly shows Moats has lost possession of the ball, Bethea is touching the ball, and Bethea is out of bounds. Since Bethea is touching the ball while out of bounds, the play should be dead at that point and Houston's ball at the 2 yard line.

Hervoyel
11-08-2009, 11:56 PM
On the Moats fumble it just makes me think "Why do we bother having people upstairs in the booth if they can't see something as simple as this and tell Kubiak or Shanahan to run a damn play ASAP? What are they doing up there? Watching other games?

The Texans just take so much time to do anything. They move at a glacial pace. They take forever to determine that a player is shit at his position and then they take forever to make a move on someone to replace them. Pollard sat for a couple of weeks when we had glaring, known safety issues going all the way back to last year AND we had his frigging coach from K.C. here.

This organization is like a big fat tuna in a tank of sharks. The only other teams that seem to move slower than we do are teams like Oakland (run by a senile lunatic) or Cleveland (Owned by a guy as naive is McNair and coached by a self centered egomaniac). We are so cautious and careful about things and I think some of that comes from getting burned by Casserly and his shoot from the hip bullshit. Post Philip Buchannon nobody in this organization does anything without finding a minimum of 30 hours of film on the guy and watching it all.

We have these coaches and everyone (I was talking with Vinny about this earlier today so most of this is his and I'm paraphrasing him) we have is a first timer. We've got an owner who's never owned a professional sports team before. He's hired a GM who's never been a GM before, a HC who's never been a head coach before, first time OC, DC, and so on. Why? This necessitates the hiring of a whole parallel structure of old timers with experience to help these newcomers in the form of Gibbs and Rhodes and just..... ****! Why do we always have to reinvent the damn wheel here?

The Texans frustrate me so much and they're at that "most frustrating" stage right now where they're not bad and they're not good. It remains to be seen what they can do and if they'll ever learn to win consistently.

FirstTexansFan
11-09-2009, 12:08 AM
I've rerun this play over and over, and looking at the still photo posted confirms what my old eyes saw. Moats BUTT was clearly on the ground prior to him being rolled over the top of the defender. He doesn't begin to lose the ball until after he is rolled over the top. Now unless I'm old and stupid, a butt on the ground should mean he is DOWN at that contact. For those of you claiming to see it different so be it, but I'll never change my opinion of what I saw on this one. Did it cost us the game? Heck if I know, seems to me a late interception, and a missed field goal are to blame there.

LonerATO
11-09-2009, 12:22 AM
I've rerun this play over and over, and looking at the still photo posted confirms what my old eyes saw. Moats BUTT was clearly on the ground prior to him being rolled over the top of the defender. He doesn't begin to lose the ball until after he is rolled over the top. Now unless I'm old and stupid, a butt on the ground should mean he is DOWN at that contact. For those of you claiming to see it different so be it, but I'll never change my opinion of what I saw on this one. Did it cost us the game? Heck if I know, seems to me a late interception, and a missed field goal are to blame there.

It was a bad call

utahmark
11-09-2009, 01:13 AM
On the Moats fumble it just makes me think "Why do we bother having people upstairs in the booth if they can't see something as simple as this and tell Kubiak or Shanahan to run a damn play ASAP? What are they doing up there? Watching other games?

The Texans just take so much time to do anything. They move at a glacial pace. They take forever to determine that a player is shit at his position and then they take forever to make a move on someone to replace them. Pollard sat for a couple of weeks when we had glaring, known safety issues going all the way back to last year AND we had his frigging coach from K.C. here.

This organization is like a big fat tuna in a tank of sharks. The only other teams that seem to move slower than we do are teams like Oakland (run by a senile lunatic) or Cleveland (Owned by a guy as naive is McNair and coached by a self centered egomaniac). We are so cautious and careful about things and I think some of that comes from getting burned by Casserly and his shoot from the hip bullshit. Post Philip Buchannon nobody in this organization does anything without finding a minimum of 30 hours of film on the guy and watching it all.

We have these coaches and everyone (I was talking with Vinny about this earlier today so most of this is his and I'm paraphrasing him) we have is a first timer. We've got an owner who's never owned a professional sports team before. He's hired a GM who's never been a GM before, a HC who's never been a head coach before, first time OC, DC, and so on. Why? This necessitates the hiring of a whole parallel structure of old timers with experience to help these newcomers in the form of Gibbs and Rhodes and just..... ****! Why do we always have to reinvent the damn wheel here?

The Texans frustrate me so much and they're at that "most frustrating" stage right now where they're not bad and they're not good. It remains to be seen what they can do and if they'll ever learn to win consistently.

i think they are doing a good job actually. i also think this is a good football team right now. kubes does need to work on some of his in-game decisions. other than that this team has been improving since he got here. smith has been getting good players and i happen to like our owner. we have one of the youngest teams in the league and they are also playing pretty well, and they are getting better. i think your overreacting.

utahmark
11-09-2009, 01:15 AM

i think your looking at the wrong angle. he starts fumbling way before he hits the ground. the ball might have touched one of them while they were out of bounds though.

FirstTexansFan
11-09-2009, 08:45 AM
i think your looking at the wrong angle. he starts fumbling way before he hits the ground. the ball might have touched one of them while they were out of bounds though.

The angle I've looked at over and over, is from the same perspective as the photo posted. Just milliseconds prior to that photo being snapped, the ball is in Moats hands, and his butt is on the ground.