PDA

View Full Version : Moats gets start this week

Kimmy
11-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Adam Schefter is reporting that Texans coach Gary Kubiak told ESPN's Bob Holtzman today that Houston's Ryan Moats will start at RB and Steve Slaton will share carries.

ObsiWan
11-07-2009, 05:05 PM
As long as Slaton gets his share, meaning they split the touches fairly, it doesn't really matter who starts.

Joe Texan
11-07-2009, 05:18 PM
If Butter fingers drops a ball I say cut his ass Monday

Come On Ryan Moats Pound that Colts Defense

Steve Slaton is a good back but has contracted the Butter fingers disease and he need to see Cloak and Dagger for a cure or sianara

Air Canada
11-07-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm not surprised.... I actually expected this to happen. I think it's important so we can get off to a fast start and we don't want any potential "miscues" right out the gates. So I like Moats starting and Slaton spelling him this game. I think it will only make him want to prove more that he won't fumble when he does come in.

Marcus
11-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Oh boy . . . that ought to bring this psycho (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1293604&postcount=69) out from under his rock. He takes the cake in the twisted logic department.

Poor Slaton is being unfairly mistreated by that meanie Kubiak :rolleyes:

lol:

m5kwatts
11-07-2009, 05:24 PM
I expect Moats to have a huge day Sunday. I really think he's gonna seize this opportunity.

As for Slaton, he could have more receptions than rushes this Sunday

CTWade
11-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Adam says Bob says Gary says Slaton wears a tufu. This is were the game of telephone starts breaking down.

brakos82
11-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Adam says Bob says Gary says Slaton wears a tufu. This is were the game of telephone starts breaking down.
Sorry, I already ate your tofu.

jaayteetx
11-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Oh boy . . . that ought to bring this psycho (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1293604&postcount=69) out from under his rock. He takes the cake in the twisted logic department.

Poor Slaton is being unfairly mistreated by that meanie Kubiak :rolleyes:

lol:

Is that Slaton's agent?

ObsiWan
11-07-2009, 05:45 PM
I'm not surprised.... I actually expected this to happen. I think it's important so we can get off to a fast start and we don't want any potential "miscues" right out the gates. So I like Moats starting and Slaton spelling him this game. I think it will only make him want to prove more that he won't fumble when he does come in.

Not just Slaton, that goes for Matt Schaub too. No INTs this game, thank you.
The last thing we need is to give The Forehead a short field and let their defense start playing with a lead.

Marcus
11-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Is that Slaton's agent?

Either that or his boyfriend. :lol::ahhaha:

brakos82
11-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Either that or his boyfriend. :lol::ahhaha:

Not that there's anything wrong with that.... :mcnugget:

Marcus
11-07-2009, 06:02 PM
Not that there's anything wrong with that.... :mcnugget:

uhhh...hmmm....well.....OK.....:backsout:

76Texan
11-07-2009, 06:05 PM
The last thing we need is to give The Forehead a short field and let their defense start playing with a lead.

^^^

They don't make many mistakes.

We ought to do the same.
It's not all about number 18.
It's how you play together!

On paper we're getting to surpass them talentwise.
Let's do it for real, boys (kids, whatever)!

CloakNNNdagger
11-07-2009, 06:27 PM
As valuable as Slaton could play in our offense, I believe that if he fumbles during this game, especially if it affects the determination of our winning in any way. he should be placed on the shelf for an "indeterminate" period of time. If not, it should be a consideration that Kubiak be hung out to dry.........until fully dry.

Marcus
11-07-2009, 08:09 PM
As valuable as Slaton could play in our offense, I believe that if he fumbles during this game, especially if it affects the determination of our winning in any way. he should be placed on the shelf for an "indeterminate" period of time. If not, it should be a consideration that Kubiak be hung out to dry.........until fully dry.

I think if he puts the ball on the ground which leads to a quick score ...... well, Slaton just better not do it.

Livid13
11-07-2009, 08:22 PM
as valuable as slaton could play in our offense, i believe that if he fumbles during this game, especially if it affects the determination of our winning in any way. He should be placed on the shelf for an "indeterminate" period of time. If not, it should be a consideration that kubiak be hung out to dry.........until fully dry.

outstanding !

jaayteetx
11-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Hope they both play well, the more weapons the better.:fans:

ObsiWan
11-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Hope they both play well, the more weapons the better.:fans:
Hear! Hear!

mexican_texan
11-07-2009, 09:58 PM
I have a feeling we'll see Slaton get more receptions than usual. K-Dub is great and all, but Stevie Wonder is better at catching the ball 5 yards past the line of scrimmage.

texasguy346
11-07-2009, 10:07 PM
I have a feeling we'll see Slaton get more receptions than usual. K-Dub is great and all, but Stevie Wonder is better at catching the ball 5 yards past the line of scrimmage.

I agree that Slaton will be seeing a lot of action, but I think he will be split out wide a bit more than usual. We could really use his receiving skills with the absence of OD and Casey. We may even see Moats in the backfield with Slaton split out wide. Hopefully he can hold on to the ball though.

New_Texans
11-07-2009, 10:11 PM

Steve Slaton is a good back but has contracted the Butter fingers disease and he need to see Cloak and Dagger for a cure or sianara

You dont cut Steve Slaton for a problem that has been proven to be completely fixable. I.E. Tiki Barber.

HJam72
11-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Can't we just have CloakNNNDagger sew Slaton's forearms together? :thinking:

Texan4Ever
11-07-2009, 10:49 PM
I picked up Moats on my FFL but I have him benched because I'm afraid he won't be able to replicate what he did VS. Buffalo. I think Moats will have a decent day considering the Colts are without LB Tyjuan Hagler and CB Marlin Jackson.

:fans:

thunderkyss
11-07-2009, 10:49 PM

If fairly means depending on situation & performance, I'm all for it. If Kubiak/Shanahan has to think about "who's turn" it is, then we're doomed to lose the game, and they'll have surely missed the point.

I also think "starter" is & should be an overated term here. They might announce Moats as the starter, but Slaton may be out there on the first play....

it doesn't really matter, as long as the more productive back gets all the carries.

CloakNNNdagger
11-07-2009, 10:50 PM
You dont cut Steve Slaton for a problem that has been proven to be completely fixable. I.E. Tiki Barber.

Barber at his worse fumbled 9 times and lost it 6 in an entire season. Slaton already has accumulated 7 fumbles with 5 losses. If a penalty call didn't call back another fumble and loss, he would be 8 and 6 now........at the half way mark.

ObsiWan
11-07-2009, 11:20 PM
If fairly means depending on situation & performance, I'm all for it. If Kubiak/Shanahan has to think about "who's turn" it is, then we're doomed to lose the game, and they'll have surely missed the point.

I also think "starter" is & should be an overated term here. They might announce Moats as the starter, but Slaton may be out there on the first play....

it doesn't really matter, as long as the more productive back gets all the carries.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Give 'em both some 1st qtr touches and see if either one of them gets "hot". Play that guy for the majority of the rest of the game.

PHAROAH
11-08-2009, 09:34 AM
I think Slaton will get the picture real quick and win back his job I want to see what the haters say when Ryan Moats isn't performing like he did last week against one of the weakest teams in the NFL against the run. Slaton will be called on early in this game as he is our franchise back not a career back up in Ryan Moats, I agree that he deserve some love because he stepped up for the team but is he our best option at running hell no!!!

Thorn
11-08-2009, 09:49 AM
The Colts defense is vulnerable today, our offense must take advantage of that if we are to pull this one off.

hradhak
11-08-2009, 09:52 AM
I'm not really disappointed in the decision at all. Slaton had a great year last year, but this year he can't get more than 2-3 yards per carry AND he is fumble prone. Let Moats carry the ball, he proved that he was up to the task last week anyway. And hopefully with a running game in place, we can torch Indy's second string secondary with the play action.

Lucky
11-08-2009, 10:10 AM
And hopefully with a running game in place, we can torch Indy's second string secondary with the play action.
That's the dangerous aspect of the Colts defense. Their line doesn't respond to play action. They just head for the QB.

No matter who the RB is, the Texans have to run the ball. One, to keep Manning off the field. Two, because that's what the Colts' Tampa 2 defense gives them. I hope the Texans can get it done with Moats. I've seen them do it with Slaton, to the tune of 249 yards, 3 TDs, and an 8.3 ypc in the two games versus the Colts in '08.

Kaiser Toro
11-08-2009, 10:16 AM
That's the dangerous aspect of the Colts defense. Their line doesn't respond to play action. They just head for the QB.

No matter who the RB is, the Texans have to run the ball. One, to keep Manning off the field. Two, because that's what the Colts' Tampa 2 defense gives them. I hope the Texans can get it done with Moats. I've seen them do it with Slaton, to the tune of 249 yards, 3 TDs, and an 8.3 ypc in the two games versus the Colts in '08.

Yep, he played very well against the Colts in both games.

FWIW, the Texans are 6-0 when Slaton gets 20 carries or more. Big play potential backs always need one more touch.

Kimmy
11-08-2009, 02:36 PM
If we are a 30 minute team, now is the time to show it!

koolkat
11-09-2009, 04:26 AM
We're 5-1 when Slaton fumbles and 0-3 when he doesnt...

ATXtexanfan
11-09-2009, 07:35 AM
We're 5-1 when Slaton fumbles and 0-3 when he doesnt...
WTF, seriously

badboy
11-09-2009, 01:31 PM

Steve Slaton is a good back but has contracted the Butter fingers disease and he need to see Cloak and Dagger for a cure or sianaraA RB is allowed to carry the ball any old way he wants in high school and college as long as he gets yards. I watched Spiller put on an offensive game that was great but he ran with the ball in one hand. Basic are not being taught in school. Look at the way our defense tackled until recently.

swtbound07
11-09-2009, 02:45 PM
irony is a costly moats fumble

El Tejano
11-09-2009, 03:23 PM
so does anyone think he should get the start next week?

Runner
11-09-2009, 03:38 PM
so does anyone think he should get the start next week?

Nope. Moats received too many rushes against Indy too, in my opinion.

16 for 38. One fumble.

In my opinion giving Slaton just a few touches is worthless. He's a back that needs many touches so he has the chance to break one. Moats doesn't have the same big play potential.

I understand Slaton has had some bad fumbles. Using Moats didn't prevent game altering fumbles though. This week anyway.