PDA

View Full Version : Is Jacoby our breakthrough player of 09?

TheRealJoker
11-05-2009, 09:37 AM
I remember last preseason a lot of us wanted him cut or traded because of his fumbling problem but it seems he is really starting to develop into a bonafide playmaker as a returner AND WR.He only touched the ball on offense twice last week but both times were big plays, one on a reverse and the other a pass. Not to mention his big returns which are almost a weekly occurence.We've had 2 penalties the last 2 games that negated a td return by JJ and took 20 yards off the other return.

But the thing that stuck out the most is the respect he's getting from coaches around the league. I was just reading the Colts conference call when I read this gem from Jim Caldwell:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5776

(on the Colts dominating the series 13-1 and if he worries about the Texans closing the gap) "Here's the number one thing: We don't consider anything to be a point of domination of anyone at any point in time because what happened in the past doesn't matter. It's the here and now that matters. We know one thing in that they're a hot team, they've won their last three games in a row, they improve every single week and they're very, very talented. So we've got our work cut out for us, that's what we're trying to focus in on is how in the world do we stop them? How in the world do we control (Texans WR) Jacoby Jones and the rest of the arsenal that they have. So that's the thing that we focus in on."

That's not a typo. The opposing team's coach mentioned JJ, not AJ as one of the Texans' most dangerous players!!!

I know Duane Brown is up there as a breakthrough player this year, but given that JJ has went from a "bubble" player in training camp to a bonafide playmaker through the first half of the season I think he takes the official TRJ's Texans breakthrough player of 09 award :)

BigTimeTexanFan
11-05-2009, 09:42 AM
I think Matt Schaub is the no brainer. JJ 's good though, there are just too many other players having great seasons so far.

HTown2ATX
11-05-2009, 09:48 AM
So happy with JJ's play!

I think it's tough to say he's the breakout player of 09 though when you take into acount what Schaub is doing this year. Usually he's hurt and or having problems while on the field by now. Really impressed with Schaub!!

JJ and Schaub will hopefully be hooking up alot against the Colts as I think they will have to run more 3 and 4 WR sets to counter OD and Casey being out. I am going to love seeing AJ, JJ and KW on the field as WR's more.

The question remains, do you put JJ and AJ opposite each other with KW in the slot? Or JJ in the slot?

:fans:

jaayteetx
11-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Love me some JJ, but geez he makes me nervous sometimes. He got a nickname yet? How bout "Dynomite"!

Cjeremy635
11-05-2009, 10:47 AM
JJ > Pigeon

period.

Texan_Bill
11-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Pigeon> All others.

Cjeremy635
11-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Pigeon> All others.

Blasphemy

Texan_Bill
11-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Blasphemy

Reality

steelbtexan
11-05-2009, 10:53 AM
I hope so because with OD out they're going to be running more 3 WR sets and JJ is a weapon that needs to be used more.IMO

disaacks3
11-05-2009, 11:00 AM
It's hard for me to consider Jacoby a "breakthrough" player when he's had game-changing return plays in the NFL prior to this year. Definitely not Schaub - he's been great (when he wasn't injured) prior to this season as well.

IMHO - Cody or Pollard would fit the criteria better.

GP
11-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Love me some JJ, but geez he makes me nervous sometimes. He got a nickname yet? How bout "Dynomite"!

LOL. I call him "Two Face" when he's returning punts.

Flip a coin, and see what you get.

There should be Vegas betting games, based upon JJ's punt returns alone. It's like picking red or black on a rhoulette wheel.

Texecutioner
11-05-2009, 11:49 AM
JJ isn't a break through player yet. He's been a dangerous threat as a KR in the past, but he's also kept his reputation as a dangerous threat for a TO in the return game as well. He has improved in the passing game though, but it's not like he's having huge games as a receiver. He's benfited from other receivers being covered and spread out more to where defenses weren't focused on covering him. Hell, there has been several plays where he made catches where he wasn't covered at all where any WR in the NFL should have made some of those plays. Not to take away from what he did, but it's not like he's been beating double coverages and been beating solid CB's all season. He's improving though, and that's good to see. There is still another half a season to play though and with Daniels out he'll most likely see a lot more opportunities where he could potentially become a break out player. I have more confidence in him than I did before, but now it's time for him to rise up to the hype.

As far as break out player is concerned Matt Schaub has been hands down the best breakout player on the Texans and probably the best breakout player in the entire NFL on offense other than maybe Cedric Benson or Miles Austin.

texasguy346
11-05-2009, 11:57 AM

That one never quite caught on. (See sig)

TexCanada
11-05-2009, 12:01 PM
I would give some serious consideration to Okoye as well, but I think most people will say that he hasn't quite broken through just yet.

Double Barrel
11-05-2009, 12:07 PM
I have been the same about JJ and getting nervous, but he really seems to be coming around to being a better, more mature player this season. He reminds me of Marques Colston with the Saints at WR. He's tall and really has the ability to make some great plays. Hopefully his fumbling problem is a thing of the past.

As far as a 2009 breakthrough player, I've got to agree with disaacks3 that Pollard is a great candidate. He's been more than we expected in a position that we really needed some talent.

False Start
11-05-2009, 12:08 PM
Jacoby has been a pleasant surprise in the receiving department, but as a few others have said he still makes me nervous in the return game. As far as breakthrough players my list would be:

Schaub - Just plain bad a$$ so far

Amobi- Not Quite there yet but getting close

Jacoby - As I've said, I'm loving him catching the ball, and while hes been great in the return game, he still makes me nervous, lol.

gtexan02
11-05-2009, 12:09 PM
I have been the same about JJ and getting nervous, but he really seems to be coming around to being a better, more mature player this season. He reminds me of Marques Colston with the Saints at WR. He's tall and really has the ability to make some great plays. Hopefully his fumbling problem is a thing of the past.

As far as a 2009 breakthrough player, I've got to agree with disaacks3 that Pollard is a great candidate. He's been more than we expected in a position that we really needed some talent.

Its funny that we can say this every single season.

"Will Demps has really been a pleasant surprise at safety for the Texans this year"

"Eugene wilson has really been a nice upgrade at safety for us this year"

"Bernard Pollard has been more than we expected at safety this year"

Why can't we ever have a guy put on a repeat performance? How bad is our safety coaching?

BigBull17
11-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Jacoby has been a pleasant surprise in the receiving department, but as a few others have said he still makes me nervous in the return game. As far as breakthrough players my list would be:

Schaub - Just plain bad a$$ so far

Amobi- Not Quite there yet but getting close

Jacoby - As I've said, I'm loving him catching the ball, and while hes been great in the return game, he still makes me nervous, lol.

I would say most improved. Just not break out.

badboy
11-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Not a breakout player but one I am probably most happy about is Studdard. He had few skilled that I could see and only the tough player attitude that coaches like. I thought he was drafted primarily as family friends of Kubes. I doubted he would make roster. Now he is starting for the injured Pitts and imo will be the starter next season. With others mentioned all had talent with flashes of stardom. Not so with Studdard.

badboy
11-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Its funny that we can say this every single season.

"Will Demps has really been a pleasant surprise at safety for the Texans this year"

"Eugene wilson has really been a nice upgrade at safety for us this year"

"Bernard Pollard has been more than we expected at safety this year"

Why can't we ever have a guy put on a repeat performance? How bad is our safety coaching?Wilson is recovered from a leg injury. Nothing o do with coaching.

Texan_Bill
11-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Sorry, the guy still scares the bejeeeezus out of me. I kept waiting for the hammer to fall last week.

ATXtexanfan
11-05-2009, 08:02 PM
i'm on the JJ bandwagon, can't help but wonder if we would have scored after his return in the zona game

TimeKiller
11-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Cushing?

Fox
11-05-2009, 08:08 PM
I wouldn't say he's our biggest break through player of '09, but I will say he's finally having a break out season IMO. Up until this year I never saw him 'fit' in our offense, this year he's showing his potential as a big play receiver as well as maintaining his elusive ability in the return game. I've been very surprised and impressed by his progress.

DexmanC
11-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Kubiak and Smith saw what Jones brings to the table in game one.
When he went thru the "yips," Kubiak was constantly defending him
on the radio. Fans wanted Jacoby shut down permanently, but Kubes
would always say: "I believe in Jacoby Jones, and we're gonna work
with him through this."

Now, he's the playmaker they drafted two years ago. The way he's playing
he'd EASILY be a #1 receiver on a lot of teams. He only has 7 receptions,
but he also has THREE TOUCHDOWNS. I could swear that every time
he catches a ball, it's a big play. Jacoby's the perfect compliment to
AJ, 'cause Dre takes so much of the coverage with him. That bomb he
caught late in the game was a beauty.

The lined him up right, he motions to the left, and when the ball is snapped
he shoots between the tackle and guard, across the formation all the
way to the right side of the field where he was WIDE OPEN. That's a route
I've only seen them use with AJ.

If the Colts double-team Dre, they'd better HOPE Mathis and Freeney can
get to Matt before Jacoby breaks them!

This is BY FAR the best Texans team to EVER face the Colts. I'm anxious to
see how we match up.

disaacks3
11-06-2009, 11:09 AM
I could swear that every time
he catches a ball, it's a big play.

Per NFL.com 19.0 YPC - Good enough for 18th overall. (10th for those w/ 5 or more catches)

infantrycak
11-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Per NFL.com 19.0 YPC - Good enough for 18th overall. (10th for those w/ 5 or more catches)

Odd when I pull it up he comes up 12th overall and 6th among folks with as many receptions (9).

gary
11-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Cushing?Bingo, and here is why. He has brought a mean streak to the team that they haven't had ever before. For him to come in and miss an entire preseason and play lights out since the get go is remarkable IMO. You don't see that very often in any league and I don't care if he played in the same type of D at USC what he is doing in his rookie season in the NFL is flat out impressive. He has completed the LB corps and driven the guys around to pick up their level of play and create a true winning atmosphere for the first time ever in franchise history. JJ has improved light years but Cush has come in from college and raised the stakes much higher than ever before and not to take anythhing away from Ryans who is having a good season thus far but Cush is slowly becoming the new leader of the D IMO. Way to go Cush keep up the great work you truely are a beast.

TheRealJoker
11-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Cushing isn't a "breakthrough" player in the sense that he hasn't been expected to be a bust other than the occasional griping by his critics that every draft pick gets. He excelled from the start of the regular season, we got a scare over preseason but other than that he's been stellar.

Schaub isn't a bad option but he's still gotta play a full 16 games before he's a "breakthrough player". Everyone here knows that how he's playing right now is how he's capable of playing but HE'S GOTTA STAY HEALTHY.

Duane Brown is a good one because of the turnaround he's made in pass protection this year. He's gone from last year having to be rotated with Salaam to this year being able to take on the best team's pass rusher one on one.

BUT

Jacoby is the breakthrough player because if he were CUT in training camp I doubt anyone would be very surprised. The Texans tried to trade him before the start of the regular season and now everyone here is glad that fell through. He's was close to being off the team but he's managed to pull himself together and be a playmaker on offense and special teams.

was385
11-06-2009, 07:24 PM
I'd say Okoye takes that honor so far. The addition of Pollard, Smith, and Cushing has been a huge help, but having Okoye step up and consistently pressure guys or take on double teams and free up the linebackers to make plays is one of those things that doesn't show up that much in the box score but is one of the biggest factors in our defensive improvement so far.

The Cush
11-06-2009, 09:57 PM
His celebration dances have definately improved from last year!

Lucky
11-08-2009, 08:56 AM
Jacoby is the breakthrough player because if he were CUT in training camp I doubt anyone would be very surprised. The Texans tried to trade him before the start of the regular season and now everyone here is glad that fell through.
I don't think Jones was ever on the bubble (other than in the collective mind of the fan forums). And the trade rumor is dubious, and certainly not confirmed.
How in the world do we control (Texans WR) Jacoby Jones and the rest of the arsenal that they have...
I love what Jacoby brings to the table, and I think he is underutilized in the Texans offense (maybe not for long). But if I were Jim Caldwell, I'd be concerned with how in the world do you control Andre Johnson.

Breakthrough player? I don't know if it's a single player, maybe more like a breakthrough team. Almost. But, I don't think it can be said that the Texans have broken through. Not quite. On the brink? Yes. But, a 3-game losing streak would push this team right back into mediocrity. The next 4 games (all in the division) will tell the tale. Let's not crown them, just yet.