PDA

View Full Version : Marcus McCauley Released

beerlover
11-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Tampa Bay Buccaneers cut Marcus McCauley, CB 6-1 203 & signed Mickens off Cowboys practice squad. Tampa is reeling similar to KC, another chance (Pollard) to pluck a good young player to enforce secondary depth?

Marcus was the Vikings 3rd. rd. pick #72 overall, released this offseason & picked up by Tampa. To make room for him I would consider releasing Bennett.

Was considered a premium cb talent coming out of Fresno State rated 4th cb prospect in draft. had a much higher rating than Pollard who came out the year before, 06 SS & that worked out pretty good. I would feel better about it if path had crossed David Gibbs, but he seems to really have a knack for identifying skill sets.

m5kwatts
11-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Rick will look at it for sure

thunderkyss
11-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Good find... good post. Releasing Bennett to make room..... good idea.

Let's hope Rick Smith is also thinking along the same lines.

Spled
11-06-2009, 01:29 AM
I was surprised Mickens didn't make The Cowboys.

whiskeyrbl
11-06-2009, 07:12 AM
Definitly worth a look. I agree with releasing Bennett if we were to sign him.

ObsiWan
11-08-2009, 03:58 AM
Tampa Bay Buccaneers cut Marcus McCauley, CB 6-1 203 & signed Mickens off Cowboys practice squad. Tampa is reeling similar to KC, another chance (Pollard) to pluck a good young player to enforce secondary depth?

Marcus was the Vikings 3rd. rd. pick #72 overall, released this offseason & picked up by Tampa. To make room for him I would consider releasing Bennett.

Was considered a premium cb talent coming out of Fresno State rated 4th cb prospect in draft. had a much higher rating than Pollard who came out the year before, 06 SS & that worked out pretty good. I would feel better about it if path had crossed David Gibbs, but he seems to really have a knack for identifying skill sets.

I dunno.
couldn't make it with the Buccs as bad as their defense is???

News: McCauley was released by the Buccaneers on Tuesday, reports ESPN's Adam Schefter.
Spin: A fringe talent, he might land somewhere else in another bottom of the depth chart role.

From Scouts, Inc. (for whatever you think that's worth)

Comment: McCauley is a tall, wiry-built player with good athleticism and strength for the corner position. He is best as a rolled-up corner funneling or re-routing receivers off the line of scrimmage. He runs well but doesn't have great pure speed and burst to be an effective pure man coverage defender. He is an instinctive player who reads and reacts beyond his years but needs to continue to develop his overall skills and techniques. McCauley is effective using his hands to ward off blockers in run support but needs to improve as a tackler. McCauley is a good young player with size and raw tools to develop. He should continue to improve in 2009.

sounds like Phillip Buchanan with less speed. If he can't/won't tackle we can't use him on Joe Mac's special teams ...but who knows, maybe Gibbs the Younger can make him blossom.

hot pickle
11-08-2009, 04:30 AM
wasnt he suppose to be a pretty high pick but he got him self into trouble and was picked later?? or was that eric wright?

kastofsna
11-08-2009, 07:40 AM
the Bucs have a miserable secondary. no way they'd left someone with any talent go this easily.

eriadoc
11-08-2009, 11:46 AM
the Bucs have a miserable secondary. no way they'd left someone with any talent go this easily.

While I'm generally inclined to agree, couldn't the same be said of the Chiefs?

ObsiWan
11-09-2009, 09:26 AM
While I'm generally inclined to agree, couldn't the same be said of the Chiefs?

If you're referring to Pollard, I've heard the difference is that Pollard was a disturbance in the locker room because he was angry (if that's the right word) with some guys being satisfied with losing and just collecting their checks.

DiehardChris
11-09-2009, 01:00 PM
We're going to need someone, because Antwaun Molden is hurt (again) so unless they believe in Fred Bennett (they don't) then we'll be scouring the wire.

Hervoyel
11-09-2009, 01:45 PM
People let guys with talent go all the time in this league. That's because talent isn't enough to make someone worth a roster spot. We have had a history of hanging on to guys who just have talent for too long actually. "Athletes not football players" could have been our team motto at one point.

Mr teX
11-09-2009, 01:48 PM
He's been released by 2 teams already and we've got 2 young guys in McCain and Quinn who are showing promise................pass.

ObsiWan
11-10-2009, 12:00 AM
We're going to need someone, because Antwaun Molden is hurt (again) so unless they believe in Fred Bennett (they don't) then we'll be scouring the wire.

what is it this time?

DiehardChris
11-10-2009, 12:01 AM
what is it this time?

His quad... again. Kubiak didn't specify length, but he did say he could be out "for a while".

I guess we'll find out how far in the doghouse Fred Bennett is. I assume they'll just activate him until Molden comes back, but if they sign a street FA over Bennett, I think that probably shows that his Texans career is over.

TimeKiller
11-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Molden is a wasted roster spot and Bennett just flat out sucked. I wouldn't mind releasing them.