PDA

View Full Version : Scouting the Colts

76Texan
11-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Overall, the Colts are among the least penalized teams (39 penalties as compared to 43 for the Texans) in the league
and among the leaders in winning the TO battle (+6 as compared to +2 for the Texans).
Their running game is weaker than the Texans.
Their rush defense is about the same as ours.
Both teams have about the same strentgh of schedule so far; theirs, a little easier.
They are 7-0; we wished we can be 7-1.
I can say this with a straight face though:
The Colts have benefited a little more from opponents' bad plays and unforced errors.

Colts Defense

They pretty much stay with a base 4-3 and a Cover 2 shell.
They would show a 3 man front once in a while, but nothing exotic.
They don't blitz much.
They would zone dog some, stunt and twist some.
Basically, they look like a Richard Smith's vanilla defense.

Yet they currently rank first in points allowed (13ppg).
They had faced the Dolphins, the Cardinals, and the Niners.
These are decent offensive teams, but not great.
The Jags, Titans, Seahawks, and Rams belong to the last tier.

They rely mostly on a 4-man pass rush.
Freeney is having a pro-bowl type of year.
He looks as quick as ever on the edge.
And the spin move inside is as devastating as I've seen.
(Facing 3 rookies in 7 games helped.)
Mathis is enjoying a very very good season himself.
Foster is used both inside and outside, and he's having a pretty good season as well.
Their interior D is solid but not among the best.

The LBs are solid, but likewise, unspectacular.

The DBs are also solid.
They have avoided the big play for the most part,
benefiting from the play of the DEs and a few drop balls from the opponents.
(Hayden did get torched on a 50ydr to Avery when Sanders bought the play fake.)
Sanders has just returned and is still getting his feet set.
The rookie 3rd rounder Powers is playing well for them when he had the chance.
But I'm surprised teams haven't challenged him much.
He's only 5'9
Hayden might be kept out another game

So far, the Colts D had played clean.
Except for that 50yd pass to Avery, they pretty much only allowed another big play, a 64yd TD run to Gore.
It was a draw play in which 2 of their LBs were plugging the wrong gap.

I like for us to run at them.
Let our tackles, guards, and TEs take turn beating up Freeney and Mathis.
Cut block them some, including with the receivers.
I hope D.Brown would attack Freeney a little more aggressively
instead of staying back and waiting for his attack.
Same thing for Winston and our guards.
Take it to them, beat them to the punch.

They can't stay with our receivers, so that part of the game should always be available for us.
But we also need to play keep away from Manning.
They will give us the short routes, so Schaub needs to take them and not trying to do too much.
Be patient.
If we play our game and keep the penalties and turnovers down, we can move the ball on them.

BigBull17
11-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Good stuff. There is alot of pressure for Quinn to do well. If we can stop the run out of nickle, we stand a MUCH better chance. Offensivly, we need to use the screen game to slow down Freeney and Mathis. If you can make them hesitate, I like our chances. Also, hit Peyton as much as you can get away with. Nothing cheap, but make him get up.

dalemurphy
11-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Overall, the Colts are among the least penalized teams (39 penalties as compared to 43 for the Texans) in the league
and among the leaders in winning the TO battle (+6 as compared to +2 for the Texans).
Their running game is weaker than the Texans.
Their rush defense is about the same as ours.
Both teams have about the same strentgh of schedule so far; theirs, a little easier.
They are 7-0; we wished we can be 7-1.
I can say this with a straight face though:
The Colts have benefited a little more from opponents' bad plays and unforced errors.

Colts Defense

They pretty much stay with a base 4-3 and a Cover 2 shell.
They would show a 3 man front once in a while, but nothing exotic.
They don't blitz much.
They would zone dog some, stunt and twist some.
Basically, they look like a Richard Smith's vanilla defense.

Yet they currently rank first in points allowed (13ppg).
They had faced the Dolphins, the Cardinals, and the Niners.
These are decent offensive teams, but not great.
The Jags, Titans, Seahawks, and Rams belong to the last tier.

They rely mostly on a 4-man pass rush.
He looks as quick as ever on the edge.
And the spin move inside is as devastating as I've seen.
(Facing 3 rookies in 7 games helped.)
Mathis is enjoying a very very good season himself.
Foster is used both inside and outside, and he's having a pretty good season as well.
Their interior D is solid but not among the best.

The LBs are solid, but likewise, unspectacular.

The DBs are also solid.
They have avoided the big play for the most part,
benefiting from the play of the DEs and a few drop balls from the opponents.
(Hayden did get torched on a 50ydr to Avery when Sanders bought the play fake.)
Sanders has just returned and is still getting his feet set.
The rookie 3rd rounder Powers is playing well for them when he had the chance.
But I'm surprised teams haven't challenged him much.
He's only 5'9
Hayden might be kept out another game

So far, the Colts D had played clean.
Except for that 50yd pass to Avery, they pretty much only allowed another big play, a 64yd TD run to Gore.
It was a draw play in which 2 of their LBs were plugging the wrong gap.

I like for us to run at them.
Let our tackles, guards, and TEs take turn beating up Freeney and Mathis.
Cut block them some, including with the receivers.
Same thing for Winston and our guards.
Take it to them, beat them to the punch.

They can't stay with our receivers, so that part of the game should always be available for us.
But we also need to play keep away from Manning.
They will give us the short routes, so Schaub needs to take them and not trying to do too much.
Be patient.
If we play our game and keep the penalties and turnovers down, we can move the ball on them.

Thanks 76Texan... awesome stuff.

I was under the impression that this defense was more aggressive and did more blitzing, tending to move away from Cover 2 now that Meeks is gone. Is that not the case? I actually haven't watched much of them but that is the scouting reports I've heard previous to yours.

barrett
11-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Worth noting as well the injuries to their secondary.
I like what you're saying about attacking their DE's with support.

jaayteetx
11-04-2009, 11:16 AM
GQ should be familiar with Collie since they both played in the MWC against each other, for what its worth.

GP
11-04-2009, 11:18 AM
The thing that I have noticed is that a defense has to make Manning run backwards, or make him throw while getting touched/hit.

How many times have you seen him writhing in pain on the field, or having to be helped to the sideline after a play? You don't. He will make throws before he wants to, and he will throw at receivers' feet, if someone gets in his grill.

But this has to be done while our LBs and DBs play man-to-man. If we get in his face and hurry him, but play a zone against the WRs/TEs/RBs, he still puts the ball in an open spot on the field for his guys to go and grab.

I swear, if we come out and play zone against him...I'm going to throw my shoe at the TV. If we get burned in man, so be it. But you dang sure know you're gonna' get beat playing zone against the guy.

TexCanada
11-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Our run game and screen passes will be very important this game, we need to execute them well or Schaub will be forced to throw under pressure all game. It is also extremely important to play well at the start and not let the Colts get a couple of early scores. If we are forced to play catch-up, Freeney will have a field day as we would be forced to go with mostly passing plays to try and catch up. We really need good playcalling from the sidelines too.

76Texan
11-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks 76Texan... awesome stuff.

I was under the impression that this defense was more aggressive and did more blitzing, tending to move away from Cover 2 now that Meeks is gone. Is that not the case? I actually haven't watched much of them but that is the scouting reports I've heard previous to yours.
Yeah, but they hardly blitzed us at all ever.
So now they do blitz a little more, it means "more agressive" but they still don't blitz much. They bring more zone dogs but nothing as strong as we've been doing. When they stunted Freeney inside, it only makes him less efficient.

I can go back and count them blitzes, but I don't think they do it much.
They know we're pretty good against a normal blitz anyway.

76Texan
11-04-2009, 11:35 AM
GQ should be familiar with Collie since they both played in the MWC against each other, for what its worth.

Yeah, Collie is playing well for them.

I agree that we should do anything possible to make their DEs work hard for the money! http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Jackie Chiles
11-04-2009, 11:43 AM
This is the first time that I semi-like our LT matchup vs. Freeney and our nickle D vs. their 3 WR/no huddle offense. They still have the advantage in both areas but we aren't the red headed step child in that regard anymore.

76Texan
11-04-2009, 01:39 PM
This is the first time that I semi-like our LT matchup vs. Freeney and our nickle D vs. their 3 WR/no huddle offense. They still have the advantage in both areas but we aren't the red headed step child in that regard anymore.

I think Duane still has his work cut out for him and we need him to have a good game.
Schaub and the other guys need to help him out, too!
But yeah, there's less concern there.

It's amazing how, after a shaky start, Quin had now sent Bennett to the dog house, and relegated Reeves to nickel duty.

76Texan
11-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Yeah, Collie is playing well for them.

I agree that we should do anything possible to make their DEs work hard for the money! http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

I went back and did a quick count for the last 2 games.

The Colts blitzed 7 times against the Rams and 6 times against the Niners.
That's 13 times in 58 pass attempts (22.41% of the time).

That was about the same as we did last year in the first half of the season last year, but quite a whole lot less than what we did in the second half (I can't recall for sure but it was at least 30% of the time.)

silvrhand
11-04-2009, 01:50 PM

I like Duane B. a lot but if we don't scheme to get him help against Freeney it's going to be a mistake. You can not leave Freeney one on one against any LT in the league, he's about as good as it gets at the DE right now, right up there with Reggie White IMHO.

Put a OL in the backfield if we have to on passing downs to help with him, but we can't let the DE just light us up cause the best way to stop Matt, is to get pressure on him, he moves like a snail, and we don't need him taking huge shots.

Duanes come a long way but man I don't think the matchup is in our favor at all.

HOU-TEX
11-04-2009, 02:23 PM
I went back and did a quick count for the last 2 games.

The Colts blitzed 7 times against the Rams and 6 times against the Niners.
That's 13 times in 58 pass attempts (22.41% of the time).

That was about the same as we did last year in the first half of the season last year, but quite a whole lot less than what we did in the second half (I can't recall for sure but it was at least 30% of the time.)

Why should the Colts blitz when they can get there with 4? They're 5th in the league in sacks (20). We're 29th (11)

76Texan
11-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Why should the Colts blitz when they can get there with 4? They're 5th in the league in sacks (20). We're 29th (11)

exactly!

thunderkyss
11-04-2009, 02:47 PM

DBrown has played him twice already.. I think he'll do fine.

Say do you have NFL ticket or something?

& do you have anything on their special teams?

76Texan
11-04-2009, 02:56 PM
DBrown has played him twice already.. I think he'll do fine.

Say do you have NFL ticket or something?

& do you have anything on their special teams?

I don't have NFL ticket, but I have pretty much every NFL games this year in stock and more than twice as many college games (tenyardtorrents.com and a few others)
I just don't have enough time to wacth them, LOL!

Colts ST also solid but unspectacular.
They just play percentage football is all.

DexmanC
11-04-2009, 03:34 PM
I don't have NFL ticket, but I have pretty much every NFL games this year in stock and more than twice as many college games (tenyardtorrents.com and a few others)
I just don't have enough time to wacth them, LOL!

Colts ST also solid but unspectacular.
They just play percentage football is all.

I use those sites, too. I still have the first big Kubiak-led Texans
road win, Carolina '07, stored somewhere. That's still a fun game
to watch. It was Schaub's first season as starter, proving himself
to the defensive leaders (Dunta, Demeco.) Also, K-Dub was a huge
part of that comeback. The Texans were down 3 touchdowns and
came back to win. It was also the game in which Dre got hurt in
gobbage time. I guess that's why Kubes would prefer to play "ball control"
once the game is at-hand. Get the win, get out of town healthy.

For the last couple seasons, unless I REAALLLY wanna keep a game, I
just use NFL Gamerewind. It gives you access to every game in the
NFL by week, or by team for about 20 bucks for the entire season
thru the Superbowl.

Heath Shuler
11-04-2009, 09:49 PM
After Vernon Davis torched us, who covers Dallas Clark and in what scheme?

DerekLee1
11-04-2009, 11:32 PM
Two keys: mask the blitz, and eat up clock while you score.

Manning is the best at the "double snap count". He does a fake snap count to try to read the blitzes, then backs out, calls the audible, and lines back up under center and calls the "real" count. If you mask the blitzes well, you can hurry him and maybe make a play.

The most important thing, though, is to keep him off the field. If the run game isn't working, get the short pass game going. This is where not having OD could hurt. If Dreessen can step up and be a go-to guy, we have a real chance at being in this game at the end. The Colts are primed for an upset.

I'll call it Texans 31, Colts 24.

DexmanC
11-04-2009, 11:36 PM
Two keys: mask the blitz, and eat up clock while you score.

Manning is the best at the "double snap count". He does a fake snap count to try to read the blitzes, then backs out, calls the audible, and lines back up under center and calls the "real" count. If you mask the blitzes well, you can hurry him and maybe make a play.

The most important thing, though, is to keep him off the field. If the run game isn't working, get the short pass game going. This is where not having OD could hurt. If Dreessen can step up and be a go-to guy, we have a real chance at being in this game at the end. The Colts are primed for an upset.

I'll call it Texans 31, Colts 24.

Not only is he the best at that, but he's the ONLY QB that coaches his
own offense like that. Peyton even directs his own coverage from his
linemen. Why did the NFL place in expansion team in the same division
as this freak!??
:fans:

DerekLee1
11-04-2009, 11:45 PM
Not only is he the best at that, but he's the ONLY QB that coaches his
own offense like that.

Actually, I've noticed that Matt Ryan has started doing this as well. It's pretty genius, but good defenses will catch on and figure out ways to trick the QB's. Maybe with a new DC, even if a lot of the schemes are the same, it will be just enough to be unfamiliar to him and catch him off guard.

76Texan
11-05-2009, 08:27 AM
I use those sites, too. I still have the first big Kubiak-led Texans
road win, Carolina '07, stored somewhere. That's still a fun game
to watch. It was Schaub's first season as starter, proving himself
to the defensive leaders (Dunta, Demeco.) Also, K-Dub was a huge
part of that comeback. The Texans were down 3 touchdowns and
came back to win. It was also the game in which Dre got hurt in
gobbage time. I guess that's why Kubes would prefer to play "ball control"
once the game is at-hand. Get the win, get out of town healthy.

For the last couple seasons, unless I REAALLLY wanna keep a game, I
just use NFL Gamerewind. It gives you access to every game in the
NFL by week, or by team for about 20 bucks for the entire season
thru the Superbowl.NFL Rewind sounds good.
I just checked it out. I thought the regular season pass is $50?
Are they having a mid-season promotion price of $25?

I still have all the 07, 08, and 09 Texans games.

76Texan
11-05-2009, 08:38 AM
After Vernon Davis torched us, who covers Dallas Clark and in what scheme?

I plan to go back to the two games from last year to see how we defend him.

We allowed him 5 catches in each of those games, which was slightly a hair below his norm. (18.2% of Manning's completions in those two games - 10 catches out of 55 completions.)

For the year, last year, Clark caugh 77 passes (20.75% of Manning's completions.)
So we did well there.

This year he average a little more than 6.5 catches per game (46 so far - 24.6% off Manning's completions.)

76Texan
11-05-2009, 08:41 AM

I went back and check the stats and some of the game films.

Freeney and Mathis have been bumping up their stats against rookies and known weaklings.

I like how the Dolphins play them, whacking them in the mouth!

Indy Skinnz
11-05-2009, 09:15 AM
I went back and check the stats and some of the game films.

Freeney and Mathis have been bumping up their stats against rookies and known weaklings.

I like how the Dolphins play them, whacking them in the mouth!

Come on man, you are reading directly from the Message Board 101 Rule Book. One of the commandments is very clear and it reads "immediately diminish your next week's foe by dismissing the players or teams they built their stats or records against."

Tom Brady said last week that the one player in the game he fears the most is Freeney. Do you think he got that reputation by going against stiffs every game? I guarantee you much of the Texans offensive game-planning revolves around how they handle him.

I like your stats - in most cases I think you have built a great case why this will be a very compelling & competitive game - which I think it will be. But I think you are off base in this assessment. Just my two cents.

76Texan
11-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Come on man, you are reading directly from the Message Board 101 Rule Book. One of the commandments is very clear and it reads "immediately diminish your next week's foe by dismissing the players or teams they built their stats or records against."

Tom Brady said last week that the one player in the game he fears the most is Freeney. Do you think he got that reputation by going against stiffs every game? I guarantee you much of the Texans offensive game-planning revolves around how they handle him.

I like your stats - in most cases I think you have built a great case why this will be a very compelling & competitive game - which I think it will be. But I think you are off base in this assessment. Just my two cents.

Just remember what I said in the beginning:
(with strong considerations for All-Pro, if I may add).

I don't think I can give a better compliment than that, can you?

I have to pull him down a litle, what's so wrong about that? http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

DexmanC
11-05-2009, 09:59 AM
NFL Rewind sounds good.
I just checked it out. I thought the regular season pass is $50?
Are they having a mid-season promotion price of $25?

I still have all the 07, 08, and 09 Texans games.

Yes, the midseason promotion is $24.99.
I bought on during PRE-season, and it was $19.99

The later you wait, the higher the cost.

DexmanC
11-05-2009, 10:01 AM
If you look at the standings, you'll see that the Texans have scored
one point MORE than the Colts, but our defense has allowed almost
TWICE as many points as they have.

Our defense really did cost us two of our losses.

Indy Skinnz
11-05-2009, 10:03 AM
If you look at the standings, you'll see that the Texans have scored
one point MORE than the Colts, but our defense has allowed almost
TWICE as many points as they have.

Our defense really did cost us two of our losses.

You also played one more game than the Colts.

76Texan
11-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Tidbits:

Last year, the Texans were owners of half the passing TDs scored against the Colts D.

This year, the Colts D have already given up more TD passes than the whole of last year! http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

DexmanC
11-05-2009, 10:28 AM

Last year and before, it didn't matter. The Colts used to LAP us in scoring
AND defense. Looks like we're at your level now.

Indy Skinnz
11-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Last year and before, it didn't matter. The Colts used to LAP us in scoring
AND defense. Looks like we're at your level now.

Dude, that is some crazy math you are using. You highlighted the fact that the Texans have scored one more point than the Colts. The reality is that is solely due to having played an extra game.

And just to be clear, I am not dissing the Texans offense - just your fuzzy math. Very obviously the Texans have a more than capable offense.

No More 8-8's
11-05-2009, 11:42 AM

Hey is that damn roof going to be open this weekend. I dont want Andre Johnson dropping any TDs because the sun.

76Texan
11-05-2009, 11:50 AM
COLTS OFFENSE

We are all very familiar with their Offense, so I'll just see what I can add.

1. Quite a few Texans fans have been wanting to move away from the ZBS,
thinking that the ZBS linemen are just too "small" to be able to control the line
so the Offense can score more effectively in the redzone.
Sure, it's true that these linemen are "smaller" than those in the man blocking scheme.
But what about the Colts?

Saturday (C) is 295 lbs
Lilja (G) is 290 lbs
Pollak (G) is 301 lbs
Diem (T) is 320 lbs
Johnson (T) is 305 lbs, same as Ugoh.

They are very comparable with out guys.

2. While teams concentrate on Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark,
the rookie Austin Collie has slowly emerged as a viable option in the Colts passing offense (30 catches).
He was the NCAA leader in reception yardage last year.
He's a rookie in the same sense as Casey; Collie took 2 years off the BYU football to go on a Mormon mission.
This slow turd (4.55-4.63 speed) is simply a good route runner who understands defensive schemes.
He can't get seperation as a slot receiver; he simply find the open spot to go to.
If we put a LB on him, Diles or Cushing, they would better not go to sleep on the guy.
It's best to stay close to him; it would be even better to jam him within the 5 yd limit.
Our nickel back shouldn't have any problem with this guy if they keep their eyes open.

3. Second-yr man Pierre Garcon (in French, Garcon = Boy) from small school Mount Union has 4.40 speed and decent size: 6'0 - 210 lbs
He has already torched the Dolphins' Will Allen for a 48 ydr, the Cards' DRC for a 53 ydr, the Seahawks' Ken Lucas for a 35 ydr.
Garcon has good quickness but does not seem to be really elusive.
He can be a physical player, but has yet to show it much.

4. They put Clark (4.5 speed) in the slot quite a bit to take advantage of his size (over a nickel back) or his speed/quickness (over a LB); sounds familiar?

5. We always need to wacth the timing route with Wayne along the sideline,
and the fade route in the corner of the end zone.

All these Colts receivers, I think, can be best defended by jamming and crowding them close to the LOS.
I have seen the rookie CB from the Jags (the one that JJ beat for a TD)
play inside of Wayne near the goal-line and kinda pushed and eased him toward the sideline,
taking the fade route away from Manning.

The Jags also had a LB jam Clark at the line; then another would shove him within the 5yd limit (also near the goal-line).
It took away the timing between Manning and Clark, and also gave the pass rushers time to distract Manning.

6. Donald Brown is just a solid RB who's a better Darius Walker.

Indy Skinnz
11-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Hey is that damn roof going to be open this weekend. I dont want Andre Johnson dropping any TDs because the sun.

I suspect it will be open. Sunday's forecast looks very nice and they have seemed to make every attempt to have it open to justify the expense of a retractable roof.

No More 8-8's
11-05-2009, 01:24 PM
I suspect it will be open. Sunday's forecast looks very nice and they have seemed to make every attempt to have it open to justify the expense of a retractable roof.

Is it really that bad? I know i have heard some complaints, but whats so terrible about it?

DexmanC
11-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Is it really that bad? I know i have heard some complaints, but whats so terrible about it?

I saw the 49ers game, and that sky is BRIGHT!! I think it's right up
there with Reliant on a sunny day.

Indy Skinnz
11-05-2009, 02:25 PM

Last week was the first time the roof was open with the time change in the two years since it has been built. The Colts nearly lost a fumble because the returner simply couldn't see it. I guess it has to do with most of the field being covered in shadows and all of the sudden it is in the bright sunshine.

The roof being open is cool to me. But there are those who like it closed - more crowd noise, less exposure to elements, etc.

No More 8-8's
11-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Last week was the first time the roof was open with the time change in the two years since it has been built. The Colts nearly lost a fumble because the returner simply couldn't see it. I guess it has to do with most of the field being covered in shadows and all of the sudden it is in the bright sunshine.

The roof being open is cool to me. But there are those who like it closed - more crowd noise, less exposure to elements, etc.

Well i will put in vote for the roof being left open. Anything that can take away the stadium noise in Indy is okay by me.

Indy Skinnz
11-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Well i will put in vote for the roof being left open. Anything that can take away the stadium noise in Indy is okay by me.

I will tell Irsay and Polian about your vote.

TheRealJoker
11-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Indy Skinnz, what are the thoughts in Indy about the possibility of starting a 3rd round and undrafted rookie if Kelvin Hayden cant play? Given that the Texans only have 2 TEs and both will see plenty of special teams duty it seems like the Texans are gonna use more multi WR sets than usual. We usually play all 5 WRs on gameday and may even activate our # 6, how deep are the Colts at CB right now if we run a spread offense on Sunday?

It seems to me that the Texans are gonna use a similar strategy with Slaton they did against the Bengals by feeding him the screen pass early and often to slow down your pass rush. But since you have to dedicate a safety to help whichever CB is covering AJ it seems like your secondary just might be vulnerable to the long ball if Jacoby Jones or the other Andre are matched up in one on one coverage against a reserve DB.

76Texan
11-05-2009, 05:45 PM
I plan to go back to the two games from last year to see how we defend him.

We allowed him 5 catches in each of those games, which was slightly a hair below his norm. (18.2% of Manning's completions in those two games - 10 catches out of 55 completions.)

For the year, last year, Clark caugh 77 passes (20.75% of Manning's completions.)
So we did well there.

This year he average a little more than 6.5 catches per game (46 so far - 24.6% off Manning's completions.)

We did not do anything specific for Clark.
Sometimes we put a nickel back on him (Faggins), or a safety (Barber, Harrison, Wilson) or a LB (Diles, Adibi).
Sometimes we dropped into zones.

Clark was'nt much of a factor against us.
He caught 5 passes in the first game for 8 yards
He did better with his 5 passes in the second game, totaling 44 yards.
He did not have a TD.

Basically, our DBs did not have any problem with him.
Diles and Adibi need to be more alert, but that's about it.

PS. - Reeves was really bad against Wayne.
I hope Quin does better.
Or maybe we will see Reeves improve???

Indy Skinnz
11-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Indy Skinnz, what are the thoughts in Indy about the possibility of starting a 3rd round and undrafted rookie if Kelvin Hayden cant play? Given that the Texans only have 2 TEs and both will see plenty of special teams duty it seems like the Texans are gonna use more multi WR sets than usual. We usually play all 5 WRs on gameday and may even activate our # 6, how deep are the Colts at CB right now if we run a spread offense on Sunday?

It seems to me that the Texans are gonna use a similar strategy with Slaton they did against the Bengals by feeding him the screen pass early and often to slow down your pass rush. But since you have to dedicate a safety to help whichever CB is covering AJ it seems like your secondary just might be vulnerable to the long ball if Jacoby Jones or the other Andre are matched up in one on one coverage against a reserve DB.

My thoughts are those guys (Powers & Lacey) have already started several games and have played well. I understand that AJ is a different animal than what they have faced but there is confidence in the rooks. I said this in the Marlin Jackson thread - the Colts protect their corners by being explosive in their pass rush. That is why I doubt Houston comes with alot of 4 wide sets. To me, they will not want to leave Freeney or Mathis against single blocking.

I think the Colts welcome teams trying to throw deep on them. Those long drops give their D ends time to get to the QB.

Tailgate
11-05-2009, 05:52 PM
My thoughts are those guys (Powers & Lacey) have already started several games and have played well. I understand that AJ is a different animal than what they have faced but there is confidence in the rooks. I said this in the Marlin Jackson thread - the Colts protect their corners by being explosive in their pass rush. That is why I doubt Houston comes with alot of 4 wide sets. To me, they will not want to leave Freeney or Mathis against single blocking.

I think the Colts welcome teams trying to throw deep on them. Those long drops give their D ends time to get to the QB.

I think this is where getting Slaton the ball in space becomes so important as the Joker noted.

TheRealJoker
11-05-2009, 06:02 PM
I think this is where getting Slaton the ball in space becomes so important as the Joker noted.

Correct a RB like Slaton capable of taking a screen pass to the house does wonders in slowing down a pass rush. :)

Indy Skinnz
11-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Correct a RB like Slaton capable of taking a screen pass to the house does wonders in slowing down a pass rush. :)

This is of course provided he doesn't drop the ball before he gets to the house. You guys are fans and have seen more games than I. What are the odds of that happening? 50/50?

C Madd
11-05-2009, 06:26 PM
This is of course provided he doesn't drop the ball before he gets to the house. You guys are fans and have seen more games than I. What are the odds of that happening? 50/50?

Probably pretty close to that :(

Goatcheese
11-05-2009, 06:31 PM

About 1 in 20(5%). :rake:

ATXtexanfan
11-05-2009, 06:47 PM
is it just me or does the ball in slaton's hands strike more fear into you than the jj and a punt return?

thunderkyss
11-05-2009, 06:58 PM
To me, they will not want to leave Freeney or Mathis against single blocking.

Didn't Brown play Freeny pretty much one on one in both meetings last year?

Kinda Been there done that don't you think?

thunderkyss
11-05-2009, 07:01 PM

This is only the case against teams that put 8 in the box, & blitz their LBs. If you get to the QB with 4... it doesn't really slow anything down.

Pitches.. reverses.. misdirection, that's how you slow down the front 4.

Goatcheese
11-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Week 9 Playbook Texans Vs Colts on NFLN (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-playbook/09000d5d813f856a/WK-9-Playbook-Texans-vs-Colts)

DocBar
11-05-2009, 09:01 PM
huh

Indy Skinnz
11-06-2009, 04:29 AM
Didn't Brown play Freeny pretty much one on one in both meetings last year?

Kinda Been there done that don't you think?

Well, I don't recall the specifics of the Brown / Freeney match up last year. If you do, well I say congrats on your long term memory success. But I have doubts that they did not offer Brown with help on Freeney in some way because every team playing the Colts do things to help their LT. I am betting the Texans
1) rolled away from him
2) chipped with a back or TE
3) just flat doubled him
4) went with short drops

But if you think Brown does not need help, well I hope the actual team thinks the same way.

DexmanC
11-06-2009, 04:42 AM
Week 9 Playbook Texans Vs Colts on NFLN (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-playbook/09000d5d813f856a/WK-9-Playbook-Texans-vs-Colts)

Gotta love Sterling Sharpe.

DexmanC
11-06-2009, 04:44 AM
In a video on Houstontexans.com, Andre Johnson just called Sunday:
"The Game of Our Lives."

You're gonna get the Texans' BEST shot on Sunday. Dang, I can't wait
'till Sunday.

No More 8-8's
11-06-2009, 09:05 AM
The thing i really look forward to this first game with Indy, is to show off how good are defense has been. Are defense has never been this good, and could suprise the Colts.

jppaul
11-06-2009, 12:16 PM
IMO, the colts defensive philosophy has changed.

The Old Philsophy

The Colts D has always been effective in the role that they were assigned in the past, generating turnovers to put the ball in the hands of the leagues best QB, who then put up points.

They gave up big plays but usually generated a high volume of turn overs, if you have Manning it is almost automatic that those turnovers equal points.

That was the simple equation underlying the Colts D philosophy.

To put it another way, the assumptions are:

1) that Manning will score every time he gets his hand on the ball.

2) the opposing offense will score every time they get the ball

3) As it stands both sides of the equation are equal.

4) the only way to gain an advantage in this equation is to cut short possessions of the other team by generating turnovers

C: Thus giving the ball back to Manning who automatically generates points, thus they have more points, thus they win.

The New Philsophy

Stop the other team not by selling out to generate a turnover but by actually stopping the other team, and the Colts offense plays a huge part in the D's ability to do that by putting pressure on the other team by keeping them behind, thus making them one dimensional and putting the Colts in thier element, which is ears back coming after the QB in obvious passing situations.

76Texan
11-06-2009, 02:47 PM

The Texans don't give any DE any special treatment.
It all depends on the play called.
If they decide to max protect on certain play, the RB just look for whoever in need of help.
It was that sink or swim attitude that nets quite a few sacks allowed by their tackles.

The guy the Colts will miss, IMO, is Hagler.

NitroGSXR
11-08-2009, 05:19 AM

Especially if they pipe that noise in. I know they were absolved of any wrong-doing but I'll always be a little overly wary of it. Mainly because of Matt Schaub. I've noticed Schaub struggle to hear the radio in his helmet when the stadium is rocking at home or away. He gets frustrated looks when stadium's rocking. Even waves to our fans at home to quiet down.

DexmanC
11-08-2009, 08:23 AM
Especially if they pipe that noise in. I know they were absolved of any wrong-doing but I'll always be a little overly wary of it. Mainly because of Matt Schaub. I've noticed Schaub struggle to hear the radio in his helmet when the stadium is rocking at home or away. He gets frustrated looks when stadium's rocking. Even waves to our fans at home to quiet down.

It's a shame he has to wave fans to shut up at home. If you watch Indy's
home games, it's like a library when Manning is on the field. I guess fans
who experience winning know how to act at a game.