PDA

View Full Version : Colts-Texans: A mid-season test for both teams

Texans_Chick
11-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Everybody knows that this game against the Colts is a big test for the Texans. Duh, they haven't won in Indy.

I will contend that this game is a big test for the 2009 Colts as well. My reasoning is here:

Colts-Texans: A mid-season test for both teams (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2009/11/coltstexans_a_midseason_test_f.html)

Interesting stuff to chew on.

hobie
11-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Another good read there, thanks !!

tylercoltsfan
11-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Totally agree.... This is a strong test for the Texans and their toughest game to date.... However its just as tough for the Colts. This will also be Indy's toughest game to date. Its a miracle the Texans didnt come away with a win last year in their own house, and then they only lost by 6 in Indy!!

Whoever wins this deserves it.... But I have not seen the Texans play this good.... in....ever lol. Its going to be a totally different game then we are used to seeing.

BigBull17
11-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Yeah, I have never felt anything but dread heading into a COlts match-up until this year.:marionaner:

disaacks3
11-03-2009, 01:59 PM
I'd feel a whole lot better about it if we weren't missing OD (Casey isn't as intregal...yet). He's been a huge part of our offense and Schaub was very comfortable with him as an outlet. the Moats / Slaton thing is a non-issue (other than the turnovers), though I'd like to see Slaton worked into the passing game, EVEN if we pull him from RB.

The Colts / Texans will BOTH face serious matchup problems when it comes to the passing game. Edge to the Colts as we won't be able to rotate our defenders very well due to their near-constant no huddle Offense. We've rotated early and often and this will be a real test to see if / when our guys get gassed.

GuerillaBlack
11-03-2009, 02:04 PM
Yeah, I wish we had OD for this game. We don't even have Casey for the game. Our only TEs are Hill and Dreesen. We'll definitely see more of Jacoby and some Anderson. Walter is going to have to turn into the first down machine that he was last year.

nunusguy
11-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your loyalty to the Texans T-C, but I'm afraid the biggest challenge to the Colts is not to get over-confidant as evidenced by them being 9 point favs.

Norg
11-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Im rdy for a AFCS SHOWDOWN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:logo:

beerlover
11-03-2009, 03:26 PM
losing Owen really hurts so the Texans lose the TE match-up thats a big part of both offenses. Dallas Clark already has 46 catches for 586 yards & 3 TD's while Owen had 40 receptions for 519 yds. & 5 TD's.

also Addai is running well/healthy 102 attempts 336 yds. & 4 TD's meanwhile Slaton is benched along with his 110 touches for 342 yds. & 2 TD's.

Manning vs. a healthy Schaub may not be the mis-match the Vegas odds makers assume, I like our Matt's chances to match-up & cancel out Payton, so the key offensively will be how well Joel Dreesson & Ryan Moats step up going into Indy as #1 options?

defensively is also closer than you might think. The Colts defense is ranked 9th overall in the NFL, 7th against the pass but 17th against the run (Texans 16th in yardage- bound to go up while 20th against the run & 14th against the pass). However, over the last three games against the Bills, 49ers & Bengals the Texans have allowed 265.6 yds. per game. the #1 rated defense in the NFL currently is the Denver Broncos, there game per avg yds. allowed is 266.7.

I like the Texans chances if Moats/Dreessen step-up, Schaub plays smart & the defense continues to shine the Texans go into Indy exact some revenge & come out tied in division for 1st :clap:

Norg
11-03-2009, 03:45 PM
isnt rookie tight end Hill playing to will he get soome touches ???

Texans_Chick
11-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your loyalty to the Texans T-C, but I'm afraid the biggest challenge to the Colts is not to get over-confidant as evidenced by them being 9 point favs.

Did you actually read my blog post?

I didn't write what I did because of my loyalty to the Texans, which as you know, is immense.

I wrote what I did because it is factual, and is something that a lot of people do not know. The Colts have had a very very soft schedule. They have played exactly one team with a winning record. They've played exactly 1 team in the top 10 offenses, and 0 teams in the top 10 passing offenses.

Last year's games were very close with Richard Smith as DC and Sage Rosenchoppa as QB. The Texans have beaten the Colts with David Freaking Carr and Ron Freaking Dayne.

The line is what it is to encourage betting. Vegas favored the Texans by 3 1/2 over Buffalo, and the Texans pretty much exploded that line.

Now, the Saints going undefeated given their schedule is very very impressive.

Indy Skinnz
11-03-2009, 04:04 PM
losing Owen really hurts so the Texans lose the TE match-up thats a big part of both offenses. Dallas Clark already has 46 catches for 586 yards & 3 TD's while Owen had 40 receptions for 519 yds. & 5 TD's.

also Addai is running well/healthy 102 attempts 336 yds. & 4 TD's meanwhile Slaton is benched along with his 110 touches for 342 yds. & 2 TD's.

Manning vs. a healthy Schaub may not be the mis-match the Vegas odds makers assume, I like our Matt's chances to match-up & cancel out Payton, so the key offensively will be how well Joel Dreesson & Ryan Moats step up going into Indy as #1 options?

defensively is also closer than you might think. The Colts defense is ranked 9th overall in the NFL, 7th against the pass but 17th against the run (Texans 16th in yardage- bound to go up while 20th against the run & 14th against the pass). However, over the last three games against the Bills, 49ers & Bengals the Texans have allowed 265.6 yds. per game. the #1 rated defense in the NFL currently is the Denver Broncos, there game per avg yds. allowed is 266.7.

I like the Texans chances if Moats/Dreessen step-up, Schaub plays smart & the defense continues to shine the Texans go into Indy exact some revenge & come out tied in division for 1st :clap:

I am curious how the Texans could be tied in division with the Colts if they win on Sunday? It seems to me the Colts would still have a game and half lead.

Of course you shuold like your chances on Sunday. This is clearly the best Texans team to come to Indy. But the Colts team your boys will be facing is significantly better too.

spurstexanstros
11-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Personally, I want to see the Texans win because they are due....due for a win in INDY...Due for a shot at the playoffs...it is their turn. The colts have had their run and I think ...no I know I am tired of Peyton Manning. Really he needs a cartoon piano dropped on his head...I mean does this guy ever have a bad day...commercials...video games..magazines...enough already. Now I know how non Spurs fans feel about Duncan. I respect Peyton....he is great and a guy I cant really hate for any reason...but I am really getting tired of the guy.... Do I have to pay the coyote to take him out?

Indy Skinnz
11-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Did you actually read my blog post?

I didn't write what I did because of my loyalty to the Texans, which as you know, is immense.

I wrote what I did because it is factual, and is something that a lot of people do not know. The Colts have had a very very soft schedule. They have played exactly one team with a winning record. They've played exactly 1 team in the top 10 offenses, and 0 teams in the top 10 passing offenses.

Last year's games were very close with Richard Smith as DC and Sage Rosenchoppa as QB. The Texans have beaten the Colts with David Freaking Carr and Ron Freaking Dayne.

The line is what it is to encourage betting. Vegas favored the Texans by 3 1/2 over Buffalo, and the Texans pretty much exploded that line.

Now, the Saints going undefeated given their schedule is very very impressive.

So the reason the Colts are undefeated is their soft schedule?

Texans_Chick
11-03-2009, 08:45 PM
So the reason the Colts are undefeated is their soft schedule?

It can't hurt. But soft schedules don't guarantee wins. See e.g. Washington Redskins, Houston Texans, any number of teams. The Colts are likely a very very good team just because who their quarterback is, but we don't quite know how good given that most of their numbers have come against some very bad teams.

Indy hasn't really been tested yet. There is no telling what their record would be if they had the Saints' schedule, for instance. They haven't played a balanced team, and even the Texans aren't a balanced team but are a lot more explosive offensively than any team they've faced as far as big plays.

Here's more on the topic: Colts Face Big Test ... Against Houston? (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/11/03/colts-face-big-test-against-houston/)

Pantherstang84
11-03-2009, 09:02 PM
TC I used to think you were off of your rocker saying that The Peyton had made a deal with the Devil. However, I'm now convinced he is the spawn of Lucifer himself. I mean only the spawn of Satan could arrange to have one of Matt's favorite targets go out with an injury THE VERY WEEK before having to face Damien.:evilb:

beerlover
11-03-2009, 10:10 PM
I am curious how the Texans could be tied in division with the Colts if they win on Sunday? It seems to me the Colts would still have a game and half lead.

Of course you shuold like your chances on Sunday. This is clearly the best Texans team to come to Indy. But the Colts team your boys will be facing is significantly better too.

http://www.nfl.com/standings?sort=CONFERENCE_WIN_PCT&order=desc&colSel=12

Colts are 2-0 in division. Texans are 1-1. When the Texans win this Sunday @ Indy that's 2-1 apiece :spin:

tylercoltsfan
11-04-2009, 02:46 AM

Absolutely agreed.... But I think they know they cant over look Houston... No team can right now. Indy didnt over look any team last year, hell Detroit was tied with Indy 21-21 into the third quarter. The first thing Peyton will always say is he doesnt care what a teams record is. All teams have good players. And now comes the Texans who have only lost 3 games so far to 2 very good teams in the Jets and Cards... They lost to Jacksonville, but Jacksonville always plays divisional opponents tough.

The Texans have beat the Colts before, so they wont be over looking them. Matt Schaub is playing as good as any QB in the league right now as well. Its only Wednesday and I am already excited :(

utahmark
11-04-2009, 02:56 AM

Colts are 2-0 in division. Texans are 1-1. When the Texans win this Sunday @ Indy that's 2-1 apiece :spin:

can't argue with that:)

Indy Skinnz
11-04-2009, 07:37 AM
It can't hurt. But soft schedules don't guarantee wins. See e.g. Washington Redskins, Houston Texans, any number of teams. The Colts are likely a very very good team just because who their quarterback is, but we don't quite know how good given that most of their numbers have come against some very bad teams.

Indy hasn't really been tested yet. There is no telling what their record would be if they had the Saints' schedule, for instance. They haven't played a balanced team, and even the Texans aren't a balanced team but are a lot more explosive offensively than any team they've faced as far as big plays.

Here's more on the topic: Colts Face Big Test ... Against Houston? (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/11/03/colts-face-big-test-against-houston/)

I just think anyone referencing the soft schedule of a team that is 7-0 is really just searching for reasons why their team can win. The fact is the Colts have beaten everyone they have played, and in some cases in very convincing manner. They have taken care of business, where as the Texans, as you mentioned have not and against common opponents. The only thing they can do is play and beat who they are scheduled to play.

I will fully capitulate that the Texans will be the best team the Colts have faced this year. But by a long stretch, the Colts are clearly the best team the Texans have faced this year.

Indy Skinnz
11-04-2009, 07:39 AM

Well congrats. If it comes down to tiebreakers, then that point is valid. But check the division standings on Monday if the Texans win and let me know who is on top.

disaacks3
11-04-2009, 11:40 AM
I just think anyone referencing the soft schedule of a team that is 7-0 is really just searching for reasons why their team can win. The fact is the Colts have beaten everyone they have played, and in some cases in very convincing manner. They have taken care of business, where as the Texans, as you mentioned have not and against common opponents. The only thing they can do is play and beat who they are scheduled to play.

I will fully capitulate that the Texans will be the best team the Colts have faced this year. But by a long stretch, the Colts are clearly the best team the Texans have faced this year. Nope, nobody is reaching here. The Colts don't always go 7-0 to begin a season, and they aren't fundamentally "stronger" this year than in years past.

Bengals aren't some unfathomable drop from the Colts as you ascribe. You may want a ladder to step down from that high horse.

Well congrats. If it comes down to tiebreakers, then that point is valid. But check the division standings on Monday if the Texans win and let me know who is on top. And if the Texans somehow manage to win, that'll give them a tiebreak in the division. Are you expecting the Colts to "run the table"?

Dread-Head
11-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Yeah, I have never felt anything but dread heading into a COlts match-up until this year.:marionaner:

yeah...stop doing that!

BigBull17
11-04-2009, 03:23 PM
yeah...stop doing that!

Sorry, I'll try to control myself. I have never been anything but OVERWHELMED WITH FEAR going into Indy. There, that better?

Texans_Chick
11-04-2009, 03:50 PM

I will fully capitulate that the Texans will be the best team the Colts have faced this year. But by a long stretch, the Colts are clearly the best team the Texans have faced this year.

I acknowledged that going 7-0 facing any NFL schedule is an impressive feat, though not as impressive as it would be if the Colts faced more winning teams. That wasn't the point of the blog post at all, and if you read it that way, perhaps this is a subject that is touchy for you.

The blog post wasn't meant to denigrate Indy's undefeated start. It merely illustrated the point you make in your second paragraph--that this is a test for both teams.

Indy Skinnz
11-04-2009, 03:59 PM
I acknowledged that going 7-0 facing any NFL schedule is an impressive feat, though not as impressive as it would be if the Colts faced more winning teams. That wasn't the point of the blog post at all, and if you read it that way, perhaps this is a subject that is touchy for you.

The blog post wasn't meant to denigrate Indy's undefeated start. It merely illustrated the point you make in your second paragraph--that this is a test for both teams.

7-0 is impressive any way you slice it. Despite all attempts, it really cannot be minimized.

Maybe you are right - too touchy about it. I don't know what else they can do though.