PDA

View Full Version : 4th and INCHES from the Goal Line

CloakNNNdagger
11-02-2009, 10:46 PM
I'm surprised that this coaching decision near the end of the 1st half has drawn vitually no comment here.

Showtime100
11-02-2009, 10:48 PM
I'm surprised that this coaching decision near the end of the 1st half has drawn vitually no comment here.

It was the right thing to do, we didn't fail miserably in our goal (decided on 3 on the road), and we won the game.

sometexansfan
11-02-2009, 10:49 PM
I don't recall a 4th and inches from the goal line from the game. I do remember having a 4th and a long 1 where Kubiak decided to kick the field goal instead.

SAMURAITEXAN
11-02-2009, 11:15 PM
I think it was right decision put some points on board since we still had second half to play.

Go Texans!!!

HJam72
11-02-2009, 11:21 PM
I don't recall a 4th and inches from the goal line from the game. I do remember having a 4th and a long 1 where Kubiak decided to kick the field goal instead.

That's what I remember, and I agreed with the call. It was like 5 ft. to go. If it had actually only been inches I would definitely have wanted to go for it. Less than a yard and I would have.

Hookem Horns
11-02-2009, 11:34 PM
What I didn't agree with initially was going for 2 when we went up 15-10. My thinking was the way the game was going at that point that it would be low scoring. I didn't want to be beat by a couple of Bills field goals and also if you don't make the 2 it takes a little momentum away.

Of course once AJ made the big catch I stopped complaining about it.

infantrycak
11-02-2009, 11:41 PM

It was 4th and about 6 - 12 inches at the 4 yard line.

What I didn't agree with initially was going for 2 when we went up 15-10. My thinking was the way the game was going at that point that it would be low scoring. I didn't want to be beat by a couple of Bills field goals and also if you don't make the 2 it takes a little momentum away.

Of course once AJ made the big catch I stopped complaining about it.

That call made sense to me. Up 5 or up 6 doesn't change your situation. Either way they need a TD to take the lead. Make it 7 and now the best they can do is tie unless they too make a 2 pt conversion.

Hookem Horns
11-03-2009, 12:02 AM
That call made sense to me. Up 5 or up 6 doesn't change your situation. Either way they need a TD to take the lead. Make it 7 and now the best they can do is tie unless they too make a 2 pt conversion.

It was still fairly early in the game and I was thinking it was going to be a low scoring game. To me you take all the points you can get and don't give them back any momentum back by missing a 2 point conversion. Up by 5 instead of 6 they can beat you with 2 field goals.

Regardless it was a mute point.

C Madd
11-03-2009, 12:05 AM
It was 4th and about 6 - 12 inches at the 4 yard line.

I thought it was right around 1 yard. I'm kind of surprised with the decision after Kubiak's history, but I think it was the right one.

Also, I agree with everything you say here about the 2 pt conversion. I immediately thought they had to go for 2 when they scored and thought it was a pretty standard decision for the reason you mentioned.

Norg
11-03-2009, 12:22 AM
u take your points on the road no matter what and i dont think we were on the goal line

gtexan02
11-03-2009, 07:23 AM
The tv announcer said it was closer to 2 yards fwiw

ChampionTexan
11-03-2009, 07:36 AM
The tv announcer said it was closer to 2 yards fwiw

That's exactly what he said, and I think the FG was the right decision. Putting points on the board is never a bad thing.

I didn't like the decision to go for two when the score was 15-10. I'm glad it worked out, but it was less than a minute into the 4th quarter, and being up by 5 points (if they'd missed) isn't a good thing when they have plenty of time to score two FG's. Basically, I'm pretty much of the opinion that until the last half of the 4th quarter (at the earliest), there's too many potential variables in the score to pay any attention to the magical "card" the coaches supposedly carry saying when to go for two.

Fred
11-03-2009, 08:10 AM
The announcers said it was more than one yard but I don't remember them ever showing it from an angle we could see. "Let's spend the entire time showing artsy shots from the other endzone or crowd shots or coach shots." NO! Show something relevant to the game! With Slaton or Brown as running back, kick the field goal. With Moats go for it. Worst case they get the ball at the 4 yardline and you go to halftime down by 4. Same as if you kick a field goal and give up a 71 yard K.O. return.

Should have gone for 1 point. If you miss the 2, the Bills come down and score a FG with 11 minutes left you would really wish you had that 3 point lead instead of a 2 point lead. However, once again, great execution can overcome iffy coaching.

76Texan
11-03-2009, 08:35 AM
I never thought that those decisions would matter.
I had total confidence that we would win convincingly the way our D-line dominated their O-line.

They started the game with the rookie Meredith replacing an injured Scott at RT. Then Meredith was injured midway through the first quarter and had to be replaced. There was no way the Bills can move the ball consistently on us (supposedly).

Texan_Bill
11-03-2009, 08:38 AM
Take the points!

hobie
11-03-2009, 08:44 AM
For those saying you were questioning the 2pt conversion, it was a good call. Reason 1, makes Buffalo have to get a TD to tie it and reason 2 is that Buffalo was not moving the ball at all in the 2nd half, so to me it was them starting to learn to finish games and show that they want to start to finish them off as soon as they can and not let up. Say they go for the XP, ok, up by 6, you really think Buffalo was going to get 2 fg to tie it without Houston scoring again.. Ya'll think that Houston would have stopped moving the ball and all of a sudden Buffalo was going to start moving it.. Right call to make going for 2pts !! Learn to close out games early and finish them off !!

Blake
11-03-2009, 08:57 AM
It was a close game, with a TON of time left. Take the points and try again. We had been having some success moving the ball, so I think Gary was feeling good about having another chance to score points.

Bubbajwp
11-03-2009, 09:04 AM
Against a team like the bills you definetly take the points. You can beat the bills with FG's. Now if we were playing the Colts you might have to go for the TD.

GP
11-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Taking the timeout was what I wanted him to do in that situation.

As long as he took a TO and had time to think about what he wanted to do, I was happy with whatever solution he came up with.

Because it showed that he's not reacting; and instead he's being a good head coach and talking things through with his personnel.

I know this one situation is not complete proof of this, but I think he's becoming a better gameday head coach out there.

ChampionTexan
11-03-2009, 09:36 AM
I never thought that those decisions would matter.

I was hoping that they wouldn't matter too, and as it turned out, they didn't. You always hope the game is one-sided enough (in your teams favor of course), that individual decisions aren't critical.

That said, I still think Kubes was 1 for 2 (my opinion), and of course he's making those decisions under the assumption that they're going to matter - possibly to the point of deciding the game.

That's also why the long kick-off return and resulting Buffalo FG at the end of the half is irrelevant to the decision to kick the FG. Yeah, it would have almost definitely been a push if we'd gone for the first down and missed, but not knowing that the Bills would be set up for a chip-shot FG, I still firmly believe Kubes made the right decision taking the points.

dalemurphy
11-03-2009, 09:48 AM
Take the points!

Totally disagree. There was about 2:30 minutes before halftime. A TD gives us the lead. If we don't get it, we still have the horrible Bills defense on their own 5 yard line- 65 yards from field goal range. And, a turnover or a 3 and out by Buffalo (likely!)from down there still gives the Texans plenty of opportunity to put points on the board before halftime.

Instead, we took the FG and kicked off... The only thing they could do all day is return kickoffs and they got 3 points before half and almost 7 as a result.

HOU-TEX
11-03-2009, 10:00 AM
I agreed with both the FG and the 2 point conversion. There was plenty of game left at the time of the FG and being on the road, I take the points. Personally, I thought the 2 pointer was a no-brainer. I figured if we went up a TD they'd could only tie if they happened to spring a lucky long play, cuz they weren't moving the ball at all.

After the 2nd TD, meh, it was over for the Bills. Their offense was pathetic, at best.

Texans_Chick
11-03-2009, 10:05 AM
I agree with a lot of the points already made--would have been nice to get a better TV shot of the spot.

I will add another one. Strategic football. The Texans are playing a lot more strategic football this season, especially now that their defense has shown signs of life.

I think that sometimes the Texans went for things on 4th down in the past that might not be traditionally football strategic because they knew that they had to keep opposing offenses off the field because if opponents got the ball, they were certain to score. (There are some NFL stat people who believe that teams don't go for it enough on 4th down).

I would also suggest that better defensive play = better road record this year. Typically, it is harder for offenses to stay in rhythm on the road due to crowd noise making it hard on the lines. If you have a defense that can keep the points reasonable, it can give you some times to get your regular offense on track, instead of having to play catchup offense.