PDA

View Full Version : Nate Clements sent to nickel

infantrycak
11-01-2009, 01:23 AM
The 49ers say they aren't starting cornerback Nate Clements on Sunday because he doesn't match up well with the Colts. Or at least the 49ers coaches believe that Tarrell Brown matches up with smaller receivers like Reggie Wayne better.

No matter how the 49ers want to spin it, it's telling that the team's high profile free agent signing from 2007 isn't one of the best two cornerbacks on the team.

Shawntae Spencer has rebounded well after ACL surgery. Brown was signed to a long-term deal earlier this week. Clements is a solid cornerback that can tackle and he'll wind up playing most snaps Sunday because the Colts usually go three wide. But Clements' demotion is a reminder how phony splashy free agent deals can be.

Clements' contract was essentially a seven-year, $64 million that had a fake final season tacked on to make it 8 years for $80 million. That way, Clements and his agent could say he was the highest paid defensive player in NFL history. Now there are questions whether he'll make it to year four of the year contract.

Clements is due $6 million next season and he's not worth that money unless he plays every snap.

From profootballtalk.com

Folks clamoring for the big off-season acquisition each year instead of the solid acquisition need to keep this in mind. Signing the top free agent at a position is a huge risk. Seems like most folks aren't happy with Fat Albert either.

mariowillshine15
11-01-2009, 03:04 AM
The problem with alot of free agents is they only play so well the year before is to get paid.

Once their pockets are full of benjamins giving maximum effort isnt on the top of their to do list.

Usually behind buying their 10th car, 5th house, and paying child support.

gtexan02
11-01-2009, 10:18 AM
NFL teams are not all the same. Its amazing to me when people just assume that a player who played well on one team will definitely play well on any other team. There is a very small minority of players who would be stars on any team they go to. Cornerback success is very dependent on the scheme (man vs zone, passive vs aggressive, etc), so its no surprise to me that he isn't having as much of an impact as expected.

That said, its also why most of these guys get huge deals with almost no chance of ever getting the full amount of the contract. The GMs know this is a risk, so they give the guy a 10 year 100 mil contract and then only expect to ever pay about half of that

SF49erFaithful
11-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Your point would be valid...except Clements has been very good as a 49er. It was reported by Matt Maiocco that it was a demotion just for that game as a result of him not matching up as well against Indy's WR's as some of our faster corners. He fractured his shoulder though so he won't be playing for a while now.

badboy
11-04-2009, 11:15 AM
From profootballtalk.com

Folks clamoring for the big off-season acquisition each year instead of the solid acquisition need to keep this in mind. Signing the top free agent at a position is a huge risk. Seems like most folks aren't happy with Fat Albert either.This can be said for drafting also. So, you don't draft anyone in first 3 rounds or so because you might make wrong choice? You never go after FA or only get the average dude so you will not have egg on your face if they fizzle? There is little safe about the process. You do your homework and based on the info you ask the pretty girl to dance. Sure there are stupid money offers thrown around, but if you are hoping for Zach Dile type choices to always be a starter, well good luck with that. That is like asking Schaub to never throw deep to AJ because he just might not be able to run under it so we stick to the 3 yard pass and hope he busts a long one. I have not kept up with this player but I thought he was doing ok.

infantrycak
11-04-2009, 11:25 AM
This can be said for drafting also. So, you don't draft anyone in first 3 rounds or so because you might make wrong choice? You never go after FA or only get the average dude so you will not have egg on your face if they fizzle? There is little safe about the process. You do your homework and based on the info you ask the pretty girl to dance. Sure there are stupid money offers thrown around, but if you are hoping for Zach Dile type choices to always be a starter, well good luck with that. That is like asking Schaub to never throw deep to AJ because he just might not be able to run under it so we stick to the 3 yard pass and hope he busts a long one. I have not kept up with this player but I thought he was doing ok.

What in my post would have implied all of that. I am talking about the top 2-3 FA's of each off season, the Nate Clements, Albert Haynesworth types that are going to become the highest paid players at their position in the league. You could extend that to maybe the top 7-10 players in the draft but you have less control over that. You expect better than ok out of an $80 mil player. And it isn't just egg it is salary cap/dead money.

Texecutioner
11-04-2009, 11:46 AM
From profootballtalk.com

Folks clamoring for the big off-season acquisition each year instead of the solid acquisition need to keep this in mind. Signing the top free agent at a position is a huge risk. Seems like most folks aren't happy with Fat Albert either.

Are you going to be anti free agent forever?

kastofsna
11-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Clements has been great, the game was a matchup thing, seems like it work

infantrycak
11-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Are you going to be anti free agent forever?

I am not anti-free agent at all. I am anti-free agent generally for the top 1-3 names each year. There are exceptions if you could catch a Nnamdi Asomugha at 26 or 27 years old I would consider it depending on the money. But those exceptions would be rare. While I would love to have some of those top name guys come to the Texans I think the numbers involved are so large and the contracts either too long or with fake years that in a salary cap era they are generally a bad idea. I would love to see us play more in the pool for free agents like Darren Sharper who is playing out of his mind for $1.7 mil.

Texecutioner
11-04-2009, 01:49 PM
I am not anti-free agent at all. I am anti-free agent generally for the top 1-3 names each year. There are exceptions if you could catch a Nnamdi Asomugha at 26 or 27 years old I would consider it depending on the money. But those exceptions would be rare. While I would love to have some of those top name guys come to the Texans I think the numbers involved are so large and the contracts either too long or with fake years that in a salary cap era they are generally a bad idea. I would love to see us play more in the pool for free agents like Darren Sharper who is playing out of his mind for $1.7 mil.

Okay fine, that sounds about more right. You can't completely discount top free agents all together though. I don't think anyone really wanted to pay Albert all of that money and Clements clearly got over paid. He's been pretty good, but he was never that good in the first place. He's been good for the Niners though. Just not for what he got, but that doesn't mean that another top free agent player wouldn't be worth it.

If I'm not mistaken wasn't Sharper brought over there through a trade? I would have loved to have had Sharper or Dawkins since safety has been a need here since year one.

One thing that Smith is terrible at though is acquiring free agents or at least even trying to acquire free agents or trying to entertain trades for certain players where we need help and can afford to give something up. I hate this strictly build through the draft approach. You've got to be aggressive in both the draft and free agency. You just make sure that you're not way over spending what you have on a free agent if he ends up playing poorly.

infantrycak
11-04-2009, 01:56 PM
If I'm not mistaken wasn't Sharper brought over there through a trade? I would have loved to have had Sharper or Dawkins since safety has been a need here since year one.

Nope he was UFA and signed a 1 year deal with the Saints.

One thing that Smith is terrible at though is acquiring free agents or at least even trying to acquire free agents or trying to entertain trades for certain players where we need help and can afford to give something up. I hate this strictly build through the draft approach.

This is one of those things where I think fans judge too harshly because they only see the results. We have no idea how hard he was working the phone lines, what offers were made, what was demanded, etc. We have acquired players by trade - Walter, Myers, WR whose name escapes me at the moment, and got rid of a player by trade plus McClain reported that Smith was attempting moves before the deadline. Sometimes things just don't come together.