PDA

View Full Version : def ? what changed?

HouSportsWriter
10-31-2009, 01:49 PM
Our run defence was just absolutly frighting during the 1st three games,but during the oakland game i noticed. That we changed from leting thim run all over us. To actuly being able to stop the run.

what changed

1. brian cushing stept up big ,and turned out to be a difference maker.
2.amobi okoya...hes not geting sacks, but man has he been geting penatration, and he is geting beter at stoping the run.
3. mario....yes he is hurt ,but that dosent stop the other team to double cover him.
4.dunta robinson. is not leting big plays...(that many)
5.ryans....a quiet year so year. Because of cushing, but he is haveing a pro bowl type season...

i have noteced when the texans get momentem .there is hardly no one that can stop them

for ex.

we kept frank gore ,and cendric benson under 100 yards in the last two weeks.

and

our cb/s are steping it up to

pollard .....i am so happy we signed him. He is a beast at hiting....
revees.....i like him. He is doing ok...
robinson.....is not leting big plays go bye...

i will say if our defence continues to increace there momentem. Then we will go farther then we have ever been.

happy halloween to all bye the way =]

Section516
10-31-2009, 02:08 PM
Cmon bro, take a minute to proof read and at least get the names right.. :tiphat:

powerfuldragon
10-31-2009, 02:16 PM
simpler scheme.

gary
10-31-2009, 02:26 PM
I'm sorry if I don't share the same happy thoughts. The D has been getting better as of late but does not show up for the whole game. Great D is a D that isn't so easy to go in at half time and make a couple of changes on and all of a sudden run all over them and this not the case with the Texans D at this point. They are still too predictable after one half but that is bound to change. The samething goes on the other side of the football with scoring they score lights out in the first half then get shutdown in the second half all too often and tend to sofen up once they have a large lead and don't stay on the attack like great teams do and become too passive by just wanting to run out the game clock.

D-Frank
10-31-2009, 02:39 PM
the defense is staying in their gaps. im happy with the D. if we can run the ball well its over

IBleedTexans
10-31-2009, 02:42 PM
Our run defence was just absolutly frighting during the 1st three games,but during the oakland game i noticed. That we changed from leting thim run all over us. To actuly being able to stop the run.

what changed

1. brian cushing stept up big ,and turned out to be a difference maker.
2.amobi okoya...hes not geting sacks, but man has he been geting penatration, and he is geting beter at stoping the run.
3. mario....yes he is hurt ,but that dosent stop the other team to double cover him.
4.dunta robinson. is not leting big plays...(that many)
5.ryans....a quiet year so year. Because of cushing, but he is haveing a pro bowl type season...

i have noteced when the texans get momentem .there is hardly no one that can stop them

for ex.

we kept frank gore ,and cendric benson under 100 yards in the last two weeks.

and

our cb/s are steping it up to

pollard .....i am so happy we signed him. He is a beast at hiting....
revees.....i like him. He is doing ok...
robinson.....is not leting big plays go bye...

i will say if our defence continues to increace there momentem. Then we will go farther then we have ever been.

happy halloween to all bye the way =]

the thing that i just cant understand is how someone that is fifteen,can't take out the time to use spell check.We understand that grammar is not your strongest subject ,but seriously dude your in high school.
Like the guys from ESPN say "Cmon "

gary
10-31-2009, 02:46 PM
I'll feel better if the D shows up for both parts of the game instead of just one. Wouldn't you?

infantrycak
10-31-2009, 02:55 PM
People keep saying we aren't getting any pass rush because the sack numbers are low. But Mario has a league leading 10 QB hits and a 3rd place 15 QB hurries. Smith 5 hits and 14 hurries. Barwin 1 hit and 3 pressures. Okoye 2 hits and 9 pressures. Bullman 5 hits and 2 pressures. Shaun Cody 1 hit and 1 pressure. Zgonina 4 pressures. That's 24 hits and 48 pressures to go with the 9 sacks. That's on 139 passing plays. So on 81 plays (there might be some duel credit redundancy in there) they were getting good pressure - that's 58% of passing attempts. That's just the DL.

Then we have Demeco with 3 hits and 1 pressure, Diles with 1 hit and 1 pressure and Cushing with 4 hits and 5 pressures and Adibi with 1 hit and 1 pressure. That's another 9 hits and 8 pressures bringing the overall total to 98 plays of 139 or 71%..

TheIronDuke
10-31-2009, 03:01 PM
Brought to you by the Slatonisabest to English Translation Committee:

Our run defense was absolutely frightening during the 1st three games but during the Oakland game I noticed that we changed from letting them run all over us to actually being able to stop the run.

What changed?

1. Brian Cushing stepped up big and turned out to be a difference-maker.
2. Amobi Okoye- He's not getting sacks, but man has he been getting penetration and he's getting better at stopping the run.
3. Mario- Yes, he is hurt, but that doesn't stop the other team from double-covering him. (editor's note: Mario is a WR now apparently)
4. Dunta Robinson is not letting many big plays happen.
5. Ryans is having a quiet year so far because of Cushing, but he is having a Pro Bowl-type season.

I have noticed when the Texans get momentum there is hardly anyone who can stop them.

For example, we kept Frank Gore and Cedric Benson under 100 yards in the last two weeks. And our CB's and safeties are stepping it up too.

Pollard- I am so happy we signed him, he is a beast at hitting.
Reeves- I like him, he is doing OK.
Robinson- Isn't letting big plays go by.

I will say if our defense continues to increase their momentum then we will go further than we have ever been. (editor's note: No shit Sherlock.)

Happy Halloween to all by the way. :)

http://files.myopera.com/fearphage/forums/the_more_you_know.jpg

gary
10-31-2009, 03:12 PM
He needs to work on his grammar but I'm sticking to football talk and I am not the knocking type. Let's all just stick to football, ok?

scourge
10-31-2009, 03:20 PM
the thing that i just cant understand is how someone that is fifteen,can't take out the time to use spell check.We understand that grammar is not your strongest subject ,but seriously dude your in high school.

While we are having fun attacking grammar, it's "you're", not "your"

gary
10-31-2009, 03:35 PM
Lol, it's really no big deal that is what this grammar thing isn't that's for certain.

dalemurphy
10-31-2009, 04:08 PM
People keep saying we aren't getting any pass rush because the sack numbers are low. But Mario has a league leading 10 QB hits and a 3rd place 15 QB hurries. Smith 5 hits and 14 hurries. Barwin 1 hit and 3 pressures. Okoye 2 hits and 9 pressures. Bullman 5 hits and 2 pressures. Shaun Cody 1 hit and 1 pressure. Zgonina 4 pressures. That's 24 hits and 48 pressures to go with the 9 sacks. That's on 139 passing plays. So on 81 plays (there might be some duel credit redundancy in there) they were getting good pressure - that's 58% of passing attempts. That's just the DL.

Then we have Demeco with 3 hits and 1 pressure, Diles with 1 hit and 1 pressure and Cushing with 4 hits and 5 pressures and Adibi with 1 hit and 1 pressure. That's another 9 hits and 8 pressures bringing the overall total to 98 plays of 139 or 71%.

The pressure hasn't been consistent. Particularly in must-throw situations, I want to see heavy pressure with some results. Generally, though, I agree that it hasn't been as bad as the sack numbers indicate. There is certainly plenty to be encouraged by.

spurstexanstros
10-31-2009, 04:48 PM
hmmmm what has changed....making stops on third down? maybe......God has finally heard me.

threeputtsam
10-31-2009, 04:53 PM

Maybe he's still in the 6th or 7th grade

Big Lou
10-31-2009, 05:20 PM
Is there some kind of running joke that I'm not aware of with these posts? I really feel like I'm the only person in the room that is not in on the joke . Can some one help me out?

scourge
10-31-2009, 10:53 PM
Is there some kind of running joke that I'm not aware of with these posts? I really feel like I'm the only person in the room that is not in on the joke . Can some one help me out?

This will shed a little light on the running joke. As would most any post by slatonisabeast.
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66443

mussop
11-01-2009, 01:20 AM
He needs to work on his grammar but I'm sticking to football talk and I am not the knocking type. Let's all just stick to football, ok?

Really who kares about the kids gramer? I meen realy their or beter tings to talk about. Sum peoples nead 2 get of there hi horse. :spin:

Grams
11-01-2009, 06:41 AM
Really who kares about the kids gramer? I meen realy their or beter tings to talk about. Sum peoples nead 2 get of there hi horse. :spin:

It shows a lack of intelligence.

If he is in high school and has not learned to spell or capitalization and punctuation then I want to know what school district he is in. I can make sure my granddaugther does not go there.

None of us are perfect. We all make errors in spelling, grammar or punctuation when we post. Spell check does not always correct all the mistakes. But most try. It is very disappointing when a few do not even make an attempt to use caps or spell words correctly.

I am one that just hates to see the English language butchered that bad on a regular basis by some posters.

Livid13
11-01-2009, 07:51 AM

Then we have Demeco with 3 hits and 1 pressure, Diles with 1 hit and 1 pressure and Cushing with 4 hits and 5 pressures and Adibi with 1 hit and 1 pressure. That's another 9 hits and 8 pressures bringing the overall total to 98 plays of 139 or 71%..

In a perfect world, if EVERY post on this board was as well thought out, factual and concise as Infantry's effort, I'd live here.

Trail.Blazr
11-01-2009, 08:46 AM
What changed?

We could look at who's on the feild now vs then, what plays are being called, etc... and none would be a likely wrong answer/arguement.

Ultimately, I feel it is time.. Back during the Jags game while watching the two teams march back and forth on each other, I remember thinking our D isn't as bad as they are playing. We were coming off the heels of some games were big plays were given up and it seemed to me that this team really hadn't had a full camp to learn to play together and start finding their identity. You get some key players back from injury/holdout/whatever, and it's going to take some time to learn to play together as a unit.

Hopefully, they've made that stride. With changes on the O-Line, we're really going to need the benefit of a better playing Defense.

gary
11-01-2009, 09:21 AM
Really who kares about the kids gramer? I meen realy their or beter tings to talk about. Sum peoples nead 2 get of there hi horse. :spin:He should be home taught and not pointed out here online is all I'm saying not that it does not matter. Should he be helped or made fun of? I say helped/taught.

swtbound07
11-01-2009, 09:34 AM
We are still a bad defense, that gives up rushes of big point amounts at a time.

Grams
11-01-2009, 09:49 AM
He should be home taught and not pointed out here online is all I'm saying not that it does not matter. Should he be helped or made fun of? I say helped/taught.

Posters have tried to help him. Capitalizing the first word in a sentence and spell check would make a world of difference in how people perceive what he has to say.

It is up to him to apply the suggestions posters have left for him for his advantage.

gary
11-01-2009, 09:51 AM
We are still a bad defense, that gives up rushes of big point amounts at a time.Thank you.

IBleedTexans
11-01-2009, 09:54 AM

It's funny how much time u had, to find something to correct me on .Im not here to make fun of the little guy im here to help him. I wouldn't have said n e thing to him if it was 1 or 2 misspelled word . Like i said im not on here acting like my shit don't stink, just trying to help.

D-Frank
11-01-2009, 09:56 AM
i dont have good grammer, but when i post i try to make a good point or opinion, i just try to make sure i always spell our players names right :)

gary
11-01-2009, 10:00 AM
It's funny how much time u had, to find something to correct me on .Im not here to make fun of the little guy im here to help him. I wouldn't have said n e thing to him if it was 1 or 2 misspelled word . Like i said im not on here acting like my shit don't stink, just trying to help.This what I'm saying provide him with different ways to help him such as spellcheck and so on instead of calling him out and making fun of him.

IBleedTexans
11-01-2009, 10:09 AM
This what I'm saying provide him with different ways to help him such as spellcheck and so on instead of calling him out and making fun of him.

Thats all. I dont think n e one can come on here and say they have nothing wrong with them. Its about helping one another . At least the dude has the courage to speak his mind, Speaks volumes about him

gary
11-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Thats all. I dont think n e one can come on here and say they have nothing wrong with them. Its about helping one another . At least the dude has the courage to speak his mind, Speaks volumes about himAnd, it really is not his fault if he wasn't ever taught correctly so let's all help the little guy out.

Big Lou
11-01-2009, 10:56 AM
This will shed a little light on the running joke. As would most any post by slatonisabeast.
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66443

This was very helpful.

76Texan
11-01-2009, 11:07 AM
And, it really is not his fault if he wasn't ever taught correctly so let's all help the little guy out.

Ya' wanna be big brother? http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

D-Frank
11-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Ya' wanna be big brother? http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

lol but on the real, this board is FULL of caring people, I have seen that in my Alcholics thread. A lot of people on here have big hearts and would bend over backwards for one another

76Texan
11-01-2009, 11:31 AM
lol but on the real, this board is FULL of caring people, I have seen that in my Alcholics thread. A lot of people on here have big hearts and would bend over backwards for one another

Ya' there are a lot of real Texans on this board!
I know Gary well; I'm always teasing him. http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

SteveDeberg
11-01-2009, 11:35 AM
As a Chiefs refugee living in DFW I would throw a shout out to Bernard Pollard. I know its more than him but you can trace the rapid improvement in the run defense to his addition. I apologize its not just Bernie why I like the Texans, being a lifetime Cowboy hater living in DFW is something different and I always liked Kubiak when he was in Denver. Ok catching up on all things Texan watching more today on DIRECTTV, kick Buffalo's arse!

76Texan
11-01-2009, 11:41 AM
As a Chiefs refugee living in DFW I would throw a shout out to Bernard Pollard. I know its more than him but you can trace the rapid improvement in the run defense to his addition. I apologize its not just Bernie why I like the Texans, being a lifetime Cowboy hater living in DFW is something different and I always liked Kubiak when he was in Denver. Ok catching up on all things Texan watching more today on DIRECTTV, kick Buffalo's arse!

Welcome to the board!
You're in the right place.

I liked the signing from the get-go.
I thought he was the missing piece for us.
Don't know about long-term, but Pollard fits with what they want to do here for the time being.

SteveDeberg
11-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Lets just say I have grown very sour very rapidly on Haley/Pioli, not too mention our soccer loving owner who lives in DFW (Clark Hunt). Hunt should have fired Carl Peterson 2.5 years ago when Marty Schottenheimer became available thanks to the Chargers. Marty was the runner up for the gm spot and should have gotten it. Bernie was cut probably because he couldn't tie his shoes right or didn't fit in to the "right 53" whatever that means. If the Chiefs had somebody better to replace him great, Bernie does have his faults (play action) but Mike Brown? Aging and bad angles all day. I think lettign go of David Gibbs was another dumb move, not everyone on Herm Edwards staff was as clueless as Herm and the on thing Herm did know was db's.

I am goign to try and make it to one Texans game by years end. Spent $200 per ticket to see the Chiefs lose to the cowgirls in a heartbreaker, have to be on the right side at least once this year! Go Texans!

76Texan
11-01-2009, 11:57 AM
:fans:Lets just say I have grown very sour very rapidly on Haley/Pioli, not too mention our soccer loving owner who lives in DFW (Clark Hunt). Hunt should have fired Carl Peterson 2.5 years ago when Marty Schottenheimer became available thanks to the Chargers. Marty was the runner up for the gm spot and should have gotten it. Bernie was cut probably because he couldn't tie his shoes right or didn't fit in to the "right 53" whatever that means. If the Chiefs had somebody better to replace him great, Bernie does have his faults (play action) but Mike Brown? Aging and bad angles all day. I think lettign go of David Gibbs was another dumb move, not everyone on Herm Edwards staff was as clueless as Herm and the on thing Herm did know was db's.

I am goign to try and make it to one Texans game by years end. Spent $200 per ticket to see the Chiefs lose to the cowgirls in a heartbreaker, have to be on the right side at least once this year! Go Texans!
Ya' need to check out the tailgating forum:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47

Got to go now.
Enjoy the win!

mussop
11-01-2009, 04:54 PM
He should be home taught and not pointed out here online is all I'm saying not that it does not matter. Should he be helped or made fun of? I say helped/taught.

I agree! My post was not ment to pick on him. I was picking on the pickers. You know like when someone has radiation treatment and they loose their hair. You shave youre head so they dont feel alone. :worldpeace: The kid means well and he is a TEXANS FAN just like the rest of us. If you dont like like his grammer there is always the ignore function option.

It shows a lack of intelligence.

If he is in high school and has not learned to spell or capitalization and punctuation then I want to know what school district he is in. I can make sure my granddaugther does not go there.

None of us are perfect. We all make errors in spelling, grammar or punctuation when we post. Spell check does not always correct all the mistakes. But most try. It is very disappointing when a few do not even make an attempt to use caps or spell words correctly.

I am one that just hates to see the English language butchered that bad on a regular basis by some posters.

Youre post shows an abundance of arrogance. To me that is alot worse than lack of intelligence. Being intelligent isnt a choice, being arrogant is. Coming here and taking pot shots at him doesnt accomplish anything but maybe hurting his feelings. Is that really neccessary? If it bothers you so bad put him on youre ignore list. He has just as much right to post here as any other TEXANS FAN!

Grams
11-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Youre post shows an abundance of arrogance. To me that is alot worse than lack of intelligence. Being intelligent isnt a choice, being arrogant is. Coming here and taking pot shots at him doesnt accomplish anything but maybe hurting his feelings. Is that really neccessary? If it bothers you so bad put him on youre ignore list. He has just as much right to post here as any other TEXANS FAN![/QUOTE]

I have never said he should not post here. He has some good observations in his posts. He would be taken more seriously if he used spell check and caps at the beginning of sentences. People have tried to point this out, but he chooses to ignore the help.

If he actually spells that badly and is in high school, the school district he attends has some serious problems. Is that arrogant?

scourge
11-02-2009, 05:09 PM

It's funny how much time u had, to find something to correct me on .Im not here to make fun of the little guy im here to help him. I wouldn't have said n e thing to him if it was 1 or 2 misspelled word . Like i said im not on here acting like my shit don't stink, just trying to help.

Time it took? Didn't take any time at all, other than the time to read all posts up to it. Like I said, while we are having fun. I am not attacking you, just pointing out that not everyone's perfect and from time to time all of us make grammar/spelling mistakes from time to time. He just does it more than most. Yes, slatonisabeast gives me headaches with his posts, but for the most part I leave him alone. If I wanted to attack grammar I would hang out in the drunk thread. I'd put money on it that the majority of the drunk posts are intentionally horrible to emphasize the drunkenness.

IMO, he's not even trying. He's "keepin' it real."

Like Chris Rock said, "Yeah, real dumb."

But back on topic, the main change to me has been the safety play of Pollard and Wilson. The DLine has also improved and the LB's have been good all year. Relegating Bennett to dime seems to have improved the secondary as well. Or maybe they all just finally get what Frank was wanting from them.

Marcus
11-02-2009, 05:34 PM
All this back and forth about his grammar. I frankly could give a rip about someone's grammar knowledge, as long as the posts are coherent.

I think if you are going to post on a public message board, it is common courtesy I think, to the other posters, to see to it that your posts are easy to read. In other words, make it coherent. In other words, not give people a headache trying to figure out what you're saying.

I don't that's too much to ask, gary.

thunderkyss
11-02-2009, 06:13 PM
We brought in a new attitude on defense. It took us a few weeks to learn how to play.

Plus Brian Cushing, Dunta Robinson, Antonio Smith, Glover Quinn have been getting better each & every week.

Reeves coming back from injury, and Pollard joining the team..... all helped.

76Texan
11-03-2009, 07:50 AM
The guys finally realize that Frank Bush looks different than Richard Smith! http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Blake
11-03-2009, 07:55 AM
Personally I dont think much has changed. We have been a good defense all year, just been giving up those huge plays the first 3 games.

Once we got gap assignments down, and everyone did their job, our talent on defense took over.

HOU-TEX
11-03-2009, 09:21 AM
Having 2 safetys that have "been there, done it" surely helps the defense. They might not be pro bowlers, but at they're doing their dadgum jobs.

Oh, another thing is....our LB crew is currently kicking ass and can care less about taking names.

thunderkyss
11-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Personally I dont think much has changed. We have been a good defense all year, just been giving up those huge plays the first 3 games.

Once we got gap assignments down, and everyone did their job, our talent on defense took over.

This is basically the same thing I'm saying. I think it is important to point out that we've been seeing these issues since the preseason.

When we didn't have Cushing, Dunta, Pollard, & Reeves.