PDA

View Full Version : Larry Johnson in hot water (update)-Cut

m5kwatts
10-27-2009, 10:59 PM
http://gridironfans.com/forums/latest-nfl-headlines/112424-chiefs-release-rb-larry-johnson.html

Pick up the phone rick!! Give this guy a chance!

Carr Bombed
10-27-2009, 11:03 PM
For some reason I have a feeling Bill Belichick is going to give him a call. Fred Taylor is still recovering from ankle surgery and Maroney isn't exactly a great option either.

NitroGSXR
10-27-2009, 11:05 PM
http://gridironfans.com/forums/latest-nfl-headlines/112424-chiefs-release-rb-larry-johnson.html

Lol. Like McNair would let him. I'd love to have LJ here but whatever. Ain't gunna happen!

Texan4Ever
10-27-2009, 11:06 PM
Better make it quick before Al Davis does! :jogger:

Goatcheese
10-27-2009, 11:11 PM
I don't get the controversy.

Every dude I know, and certainly in every sports locker room I've ever been in "Don't be a fag", "don't be such a homo" etc. are as common as "We've got to take it one game at a time."

They just wanted to get rid of the dude, and this was as convenient an excuse as any.

I doubt anybody is interested in his 2.7 ypc. This is probably the end of the line for the woman beater.

Carr Bombed
10-27-2009, 11:21 PM
I doubt anybody is interested in his 2.7 ypc. This is probably the end of the line for the woman beater.

Yeah....LJ is the perfect example of what a dominant Oline can do for your running game. The chiefs had one of the most dominant offensive lines in the league...a line that helped churn out MVP caliber seasons by Priest Holmes and later Larry Johnson. As soon as the offensive line got old or retired, so did Larry Johnson's rushing skills.

This is why I want Houston to HEAVILY focus on the line this offseason. We need to atleast upgrade 2 of the 3 interior positions. Plus I wouldn't mind dumping the whole zone scheme altogether and actually get some beef up front.

m5kwatts
10-27-2009, 11:30 PM
With Slaton's fumbling I would seriously consider this

And I don't think Chris Brown is exactly running any better than LJ

I don't think it hurts to stock up on backs

mariowillshine15
10-27-2009, 11:36 PM
He's averaging 2.7 yds a carry. The guy has one foot in the glue factory and is a prick. I would call Ron Dyane back before Larry Johnson.

DiehardChris
10-27-2009, 11:37 PM
You have got to be kidding me. Why would we want this woman-beating, shit-talking, horrible attitude-having, me-first, 2 yards per carry piece of crap?

steelbtexan
10-27-2009, 11:56 PM
You have got to be kidding me. Why would we want this woman-beating, shit-talking, horrible attitude-having, me-first, 2 yards per carry piece of crap?

While I agree with you

The answer is

LJ can pick up 3rd, 4th and shorts. He doesn't fumble.

It aint gonna happen though.

m5kwatts
10-27-2009, 11:58 PM
Have we all forgotten Slaton has SIX fumbles! Thats ridiculous, if he fumbles one more time in a game he should be benched

That would leave us with just Chris Brown and Ryan Moats, they're fine but it wouldn't hurt to have LJ in the mix too

We took a flier on Chris Henry he was awful with Tennessee, LJ has been a quality back just recently

And LJ managed to get 80 yards in a game this year behind basically zero blocking, he hasn't lost as much as people say

kastofsna
10-27-2009, 11:59 PM
im not seeing anywhere else where he's been released

ChampionTexan
10-28-2009, 12:14 AM
im not seeing anywhere else where he's been released
Hasn't happened (at least not yet). Even the link in the OP stated a source said he was going to be released.

painekiller
10-28-2009, 12:22 AM
Yeah....LJ is the perfect example of what a dominant Oline can do for your running game. The chiefs had one of the most dominant offensive lines in the league...a line that helped churn out MVP caliber seasons by Priest Holmes and later Larry Johnson. As soon as the offensive line go old or retired, so did Larry Johnson's rushing skills.

This is why I want Houston to HEAVILY focus on the line this offseason. We need to atleast upgrade 2 of the 3 interior positions. Plus I wouldn't mind dumping the whole zone scheme altogether and actually get some beef up front.

He also had a real bad leg injury that cost him his quickness, also he was rode hard for a few years and that usually means a fast downfall in the NFL.

scourge
10-28-2009, 12:32 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chiefs-johnson&prov=ap&type=lgns

I see here that he is currently barred and they are looking in to cutting him... doesn't appear to have happened yet, though

m5kwatts
10-28-2009, 12:35 AM
Whats the big deal if he's signed for a cheap price? Funny how no one has brought up the Texans passing on signing another certain RB with baggage who seems to be leading the league in rushing right now

beerlover
10-28-2009, 01:19 AM
consider the source - http://football.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/14304/20091027/breaking_news_chiefs_to_release_larry_johnson/

Vinny
10-28-2009, 01:30 AM
LJ can still play but he is a butthead. Frankly a guy like this would make this team an offensive beast that would strike fear in all opponents...but he's a butthead, so it ain't gonna happen if he is indeed released.

GuerillaBlack
10-28-2009, 01:37 AM
If he's released, Texans should sign him. We are weak at RB. If Slaton goes down, we're done. Even though Slaton hasn't done much in the run game, he has a lot more potential than Chris Brown.

LonerATO
10-28-2009, 01:47 AM
Texans should sign him and possible save a pick next year if he pans out and on a side note I dont care about his past, but what he can do for this team.

SAMURAITEXAN
10-28-2009, 05:51 AM
I wouldn't mind signing LJ to see how he pans out with Texans. We have enough good character guys and LJ shouldn't be a problem. Just think, how LJ may able to help out our running O.

Go Texans!!!

HoustonFrog
10-28-2009, 06:26 AM
The one article is right...he isn't released, just barred from the facilities pending investigation of the tweets, etc.

BattleRedToro
10-28-2009, 07:15 AM
Texans should sign him and possible save a pick next year if he pans out and on a side note I dont care about his past, but what he can do for this team.

I have to disagree with you about changing draft priorities if the Texans were to sign Larry Johnson. LJ would be a short term solution to a long term need, so the team shouldn't change their draft plans based on his signing. Remember, he is 30 years old and was heavily used so one would expect a fast decline in his abilities. 2 yr deal should be the maximum anyone should offer him, and that includes this year as the first year.

BigBull17
10-28-2009, 07:16 AM

**** him. He's a mutt. No way. He isn't even running the ball well. He hasn't been anything more than cancer since he had that big year.

TimeKiller
10-28-2009, 07:17 AM
If it takes nothing to get him and the Texans at least don't work him out I'll be disappointed.

Txn_in_Oki
10-28-2009, 07:26 AM

Excuse me but he's a 2.7 yard per carry piece of crap. If you're going to bag on the guy at least be accurate in your representation.

:choke:

Blake
10-28-2009, 07:42 AM
Whatever. If he gets release we need to bring him in and see what happens.

Besides we only have 1 Johnson on the team right now, and the minimum requirement is 2.

gtexan02
10-28-2009, 07:54 AM
Even if our team knew he would go on to rush for 1000 yards at a 5ypc clip here in Houston, I highly doubt they'd give him a look. His character is the exact opposite of what we've stressed so far in building this team. And his 2.7ypc this year is not going to convince McNair to take a chance

Blake
10-28-2009, 08:04 AM
Even if our team knew he would go on to rush for 1000 yards at a 5ypc clip here in Houston, I highly doubt they'd give him a look. His character is the exact opposite of what we've stressed so far in building this team. And his 2.7ypc this year is not going to convince McNair to take a chance

Yeah we can ***** and whine all we want, but in the end Bob, Rick and Gary make those decisions, and we know their track record when it comes to troubled players.

GuerillaBlack
10-28-2009, 08:33 AM
Yeah we can ***** and whine all we want, but in the end Bob, Rick and Gary make those decisions, and we know their track record when it comes to troubled players.

Like Cedric Benson.

kastofsna
10-28-2009, 08:37 AM
Johnson is a complete and utter waste of a human being. some of the things he's said over the years are laughable and/or offensive.

Mr. White
10-28-2009, 08:40 AM
I'd be open to taking a look at him if I thought we needed a RB.

I'm of the opinion that Chester Pitts is the difference in our run game between last year and this year.

We need a Guard that can fill Chester's shoes and the running game will take care of itself.

Kaiser Toro
10-28-2009, 08:46 AM
Bring him in, the Benson narrative should be opening some eyes to take a further look underneath the hood.

Blake
10-28-2009, 08:52 AM
I'd be open to taking a look at him if I thought we needed a RB.

I'm of the opinion that Chester Pitts is the difference in our run game between last year and this year.

We need a Guard that can fill Chester's shoes and the running game will take care of itself.

I guess we are a little ahead of ourselves as Larry hasnt even been cut yet.

The running game woe's started pre-season and the first few games, before Chester was injured.

Hardcore Texan
10-28-2009, 08:55 AM

The running game woe's started pre-season and the first few games, before Chester was injured.

Exactly, he is still on the team.

But if you are desperate for a RB in FF, time to snag up Charles.

HOU-TEX
10-28-2009, 09:25 AM
The Chiefs have a bye this week. I reckon they'll be all lovey dovey again come next week.

If he is released, who cares? He's a prick

Mr. White
10-28-2009, 09:41 AM

You missed my point entirely. I'd be open to looking at him if I thought we needed a running back. I don't think we need one, so it doesn't matter to me if he gets cut or not.

The pre-season doesn't have anything to do with it IMO. If they really wanted to use the pre-season as a chance to get the running game going, then they would have never played the backups. The only reason that they play pre-season games is to evaluate talent.

If Chester was playing, then holes would get opened between the tackles. We need interior linemen to open up running lanes more than we need another RB.

infantrycak
10-28-2009, 09:44 AM
Like Cedric Benson.

We offered Benson $2 mil. Obviously there is no absolute bar on bringing in players with checkered pasts.

Blake
10-28-2009, 10:30 AM
You missed my point entirely. I'd be open to looking at him if I thought we needed a running back. I don't think we need one, so it doesn't matter to me if he gets cut or not.

The pre-season doesn't have anything to do with it IMO. If they really wanted to use the pre-season as a chance to get the running game going, then they would have never played the backups. The only reason that they play pre-season games is to evaluate talent.

If Chester was playing, then holes would get opened between the tackles. We need interior linemen to open up running lanes more than we need another RB.

I didnt miss your point at all. That first sentence wasnt even directed towards you. Just the thread in general because it makes an assumption that the player was released.

The 2nd sentence was directed towards you. And your asumption that if Chester was playing he would be getting holes open between the tackles is just that, an asumption. He played in the first 2 weeks of the season and the interior of the Oline was doing just as poor then as it is now.

I do agree however that we need quality interior linemen to open up the running lanes more than another RB.

BigBull17
10-28-2009, 11:06 AM
Like Cedric Benson.

Bensen isn't on the same ahole level as LJ. LJ is a little above and beyond in that department. No way we do it.

NitroGSXR
10-28-2009, 08:57 PM
Suspended until November 8th. Will only miss one game since they have a BYE week coming up. No way do they release him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chiefs-johnsonsuspended&prov=ap&type=lgns

GP
10-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Whatever. If he gets release we need to bring him in and see what happens.

Besides we only have 1 Johnson on the team right now, and the minimum requirement is 2.

Two Johnsons ARE better than one. :patriot

Blazing Arrow
10-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Johnson is about to cross the 30 line. He is done. How many RBs after 30 have hit 1K yards?

Blazing Arrow
10-28-2009, 10:34 PM
The Yahoo depth chart is pretty funny ...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/kan/depthchart

DerekLee1
11-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Was just released. Texans yes or no?

HTown2ATX
11-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Any interest we should have you think??

Just heard online on 610 by John Lopez.

El Tejano
11-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Even though I'd like to try that. Our FO will stay away because of his recent reputation.

JWarren14
11-09-2009, 09:39 AM
No, he is getting old and could be a distraction

kastofsna
11-09-2009, 09:46 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4637300

gone now

bckey
11-09-2009, 09:52 AM
absolutely. If his remaining salary isn't outrageous

Dread-Head
11-09-2009, 09:53 AM
What was he in trouble for again?

Mr. White
11-09-2009, 09:54 AM
No way in hell.

Not only does he suck as a person, but he sucks as a RB.

I'd rather bring Ronnie Dayne back.

Hervoyel
11-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Not sure. All attitude/PR problems aside I just really can't bring myself to beleive that the Chiefs would have cut him if he still had anything left. I'm inclined towards "no"

4Texans
11-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Bring him in for a look, and maybe sign him for the rest of the year at the min. It may be worth it.

What do you think Pollard and Gibbs would have to say about him????????

swtbound07
11-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Not sure. All attitude/PR problems aside I just really can't bring myself to beleive that the Chiefs would have cut him if he still had anything left. I'm inclined towards "no"

Chiefs did cut Pollard. I'm not for or against...but the chiefs front office has made a few head scratchers lately.

beerlover
11-09-2009, 10:22 AM
I would rather spend a 1st rd. pick in next years draft on a RB, no thank you :shades:

4Texans
11-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Sports 610 has said they've heard the Patriots may be interested in picking him up. So you let the Pat's have him and help them win another Super Bowl?

I don't see McNair letting them look at LJ.

DiehardChris
11-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Piece of crap human being.
Piece of crap RB.

He has no burst, and if you look at his "highlights" he's now inexplicably avoiding contact! Remember, he's a "bruiser" yet now he starts to fall down before he gets hit.

He is finished. He's a locker room cancer. He's a woman-beater. He has NO concept of team.

For the love of GOD please get it out of your head that we should even CONSIDER this POS.

That said - we do need a new short yardage back. NOT LJ mind you - but clearly Brown is not the answer because Kubiak isn't giving him goal line carries.

GP
11-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Piece of crap human being.
Piece of crap RB.

He has no burst, and if you look at his "highlights" he's now inexplicably avoiding contact! Remember, he's a "bruiser" yet now he starts to fall down before he gets hit.

He is finished. He's a locker room cancer. He's a woman-beater. He has NO concept of team.

For the love of GOD please get it out of your head that we should even CONSIDER this POS.

That said - we do need a new short yardage back. NOT LJ mind you - but clearly Brown is not the answer because Kubiak isn't giving him goal line carries.

I was literally laughing out loud when I got to this part.

Because that's how us NFL fans think: "That guy is awful. He's done this, he's done that. What a waste of oxugen upon society. Having said that, we need his skills on our team."

Not poking fun at you. Just made me laugh when you said all of that, and the next words were "Having said all that, we dooooo need a....."

HOU-TEX
11-09-2009, 11:23 AM
We'd be better off picking up Edge if we were to pick up anyone. Which we won't.

Texecutioner
11-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Have we all forgotten Slaton has SIX fumbles! Thats ridiculous, if he fumbles one more time in a game he should be benched

That would leave us with just Chris Brown and Ryan Moats, they're fine but it wouldn't hurt to have LJ in the mix too

We took a flier on Chris Henry he was awful with Tennessee, LJ has been a quality back just recently

And LJ managed to get 80 yards in a game this year behind basically zero blocking, he hasn't lost as much as people say

This is a perfect example of people getting caught up in a big name guy that's been trash for two years now.

LJ has been awful for quite some time now. He had a ton of touches over a 3 year to 4 year span and his body is beaten to death. He doesn't have the quickness that he had a few years ago. He's slow, he's beat up, and on top of that his attitude is horrible. Personally, I don't think he would come to a team like we have and cause a bunch of problems honestly, but he would do nothing for this team right now.

The Texans have problems moving the pile in the red zone. They have problems opening up big holes all over the field for the running game as well, and you think LJ is a guy that could come over here and make things happen on his own with this current O line??? Ha! LJ wouldn't be any better than Chris Brown right now and as much as I hate Brown, he isn't causing any problems internally and hasn't acted like a total scumbag his entire career either. I'm fine with having Brown over LJ and that's pretty sad.

Larry Johnson = A washed up RB that's taken a beating and is on his last leg. I think we've already had enough experiences with guys like that in Green and Brown. No need to waste time with LJ.

DiehardChris
11-09-2009, 11:57 AM
I was literally laughing out loud when I got to this part.

Because that's how us NFL fans think: "That guy is awful. He's done this, he's done that. What a waste of oxugen upon society. Having said that, we need his skills on our team."

Not poking fun at you. Just made me laugh when you said all of that, and the next words were "Having said all that, we dooooo need a....."

You clearly weren't "listening" to my post. I'm not saying "having said that, we should look at him" I'm saying, we DO need a new short yardage back, but not this piece of crap.

DiehardChris
11-09-2009, 11:58 AM
This is a perfect example of people getting caught up in a big name guy that's been trash for two years now.

LJ has been awful for quite some time now. He had a ton of touches over a 3 year to 4 year span and his body is beaten to death. He doesn't have the quickness that he had a few years ago. He's slow, he's beat up, and on top of that his attitude is horrible. Personally, I don't think he would come to a team like we have and cause a bunch of problems honestly, but he would do nothing for this team right now.

The Texans have problems moving the pile in the red zone. They have problems opening up big holes all over the field for the running game as well, and you think LJ is a guy that could come over here and make things happen on his own with this current O line??? Ha! LJ wouldn't be any better than Chris Brown right now and as much as I hate Brown, he isn't causing any problems internally and hasn't acted like a total scumbag his entire career either. I'm fine with having Brown over LJ and that's pretty sad.

Larry Johnson = A washed up RB that's taken a beating and is on his last leg. I think we've already had enough experiences with guys like that in Green and Brown. No need to waste time with LJ.

Eggs freaking zactly. I'll rep you if I can.

SoCalTexanFan
11-09-2009, 12:59 PM
I know the guy is not a model citizen but I sure would have liked to have him against Jax, Arizona and Colts yesterday. We've got to find a goal line back. Chris Brown is too SOFT. He's always been a soft player.

NitroGSXR
11-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Absolutely count me in for LJ. Trade deadline's come and go. Our only options during this time of season are FAs. That's it. Nothing else. LJ does not fumble. We've got 7 games to go. I dont see much other choice but to either take him or dont. Pollard has worked out pretty good thus far. I gotta lean on giving him a tryout.

DiehardChris
11-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Arrested for violence against women four times.
Has no burst.
Has started avoiding contact.

Not just no, but hell no.

Chris Brown did fumble, but the Arizona failure was squarely on the O-line.

Second Honeymoon
11-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Has no burst.

and by OLine you mean Myers.

m5kwatts
11-09-2009, 01:35 PM
I would take on LJ as would the players but not McNair and co.

Texecutioner
11-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Has no burst.

This right here ^^^^^^^^^.

And one thing to add to that Chris, is that LJ isn't a good pass blocker either.

LJ doesn't come here and help this team. He's just as bad as Brown is. Unless the Texans O line is all of a sudden going to be this great run blocking scheme that is hasn't been all year, I fail to see what any of these LJ enthusiasts are thinking. People can't get off of his big name and probably don't pay any attention to the Chiefs, because if you had, I really don't see what anyone could have seen that would have been impressed with LJ in the last two years. The only thing that he's successful at now is running his mouth and pissing chicks off. No thanks.

gg no re
11-09-2009, 01:59 PM
I'll take LJ if he comes with the Chiefs oline from a few years ago

DiehardChris
11-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Kubiak just crapped in my cereal by saying the Texans will look into LJ like they would any other player.

Obviously, that doesn't mean anything - but it's going to make this board and the rest of the Texans internet sites go batshit insane.

Sigh.

No More 8-8's
11-09-2009, 03:48 PM
I know that every NFL teams message board has a thread just like this one but........

Gary Kubiak mentioned in his Monday News Conference that would look at Larry considering he is available. I know i may be reading too much into it but he would not deny that the team would be interested in LJ. what do you think?

ATXtexanfan
11-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Heard that too. He left the door wide open. Fine by me.

4Texans
11-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Yes, Kubiak said they would definitely take a look at him since he is a FA. I wonder what little Gibbs has told GAry and Rick about LJ?

kastofsna
11-09-2009, 04:08 PM
latest rumor is that Dan Snyder wants him. ahhh, good times

texanhead08
11-09-2009, 04:41 PM
If Dan Snyder wants him thats a hint that the guy is toast.

DiehardChris
11-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Snyder is probably stupid enough to pick him up off waivers instead of waiting for him to clear waivers and sign him to a new deal.

PLEASE let the 'skins get him. We don't need this piece of dogsh*t.

PHAROAH
11-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Mcnair won't do it even though we could use him with Steve Slaton. I don't trust Chris Brown or Ryan Moats they both are huge busts IMO.

mussop
11-10-2009, 04:55 AM
Mcnair won't do it even though we could use him with Steve Slaton. I don't trust Chris Brown or Ryan Moats they both are huge busts IMO.

Moats is a bust? Please define bust.

4Texans
11-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Looks like LJ is on his way to Cincy.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/16/larry-johnson-on-way-to-cincinnati/

Wolf
11-17-2009, 07:55 PM
RB Johnson agrees to terms with Bengals

By JOE KAY, AP Sports Writer 3 hours, 9 minutes ago

CINCINNATI (AP)—Larry Johnson(notes) might have his career up-and-running sooner than expected.

The running back who was banished from Kansas City for bad behavior signed on for a backup role with the Cincinnati Bengals on Tuesday, giving the AFC North leaders depth for the rest of this season. He might not be watching for long.

A day after coach Marvin Lewis referred to Johnson as an insurance policy in case of injury, he said it’s possible the running back could play in some form Sunday in Oakland if starter Cedric Benson(notes) is still limited by a strained hip.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bengals-larryjohnson&prov=ap&type=lgns

Brando
09-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Redskins cut running back Larry Johnson

The Redskins cut veteran running back Larry Johnson Tuesday, making him the first casualty of a ground game that has been among the NFL's worst through the first two weeks of the season. Johnson's agent, Peter Schaffer, and the team confirmed the move.

According to ProFootballTalk.com, the team immediately replaced Johnson with Chad Simpson, a third-year player out of Morgan State who spent two years with Indianapolis and was with Buffalo during the preseason.

link (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/larry-johnson/redskins-cut-running-back-larr.html)

Maddict5
09-21-2010, 07:31 PM
terrible move by shanny. he was perfect for that offence. that was a beautiful one cut on that 10 yd loss sunday :)

Texecutioner
09-21-2010, 11:45 PM
Johnson is done and good riddance to him in the NFL.

The Pencil Neck
09-22-2010, 01:08 AM
terrible move by shanny. he was perfect for that offence. that was a beautiful one cut on that 10 yd loss sunday :)

Yeah, but... see... when you make your cut, you're supposed to go TOWARD the OFFENSIVE line, not back toward your goal line.

I think he just got a li'l confuzzled.

gtexan02
09-22-2010, 08:04 AM
Loved that Reggie Bush style reverse. Worked about as well as Bush's typically do too

Ole Miss Texan
09-22-2010, 08:06 AM
that was a beautiful one cut on that 10 yd loss sunday.
:spit: baahahahahahaha

Ole Miss Texan
09-22-2010, 08:16 AM
So in the last 10 months, the guy has been on 3 different NFL teams?

11/09/2009 Larry Johnson (RB) cut.
http://www.kcchiefs.com/team/transactions.html

11/17/2009 Signed RB Larry Johnson (FA).
http://www.bengals.com/news/transactions.html

March 12 RB Larry Johnson Signed to a contract
http://www.redskins.com/team/transactionList.jsp

Second Honeymoon
09-22-2010, 08:36 AM
that ill-advised run against the grain was the end of his career with Washington. he never saw another carry and was fired/released almost instantly after the game.

Shanny is obviously using him as an example for the rest of the team. Play smart or play elsewhere. Shanny showed a definite mean streak with that quick move though....message received.