PDA

View Full Version : This week's least surprising news - Bud name Vince Starter.

ChampionTexan
10-27-2009, 08:03 AM
Titans owner Bud Adams wants Vince Young starting at quarterback beginning with Sunday's game against the Jaguars.

Following the 59-0 loss to the Patriots on Oct. 18 that dropped the Titans to 0-6, Adams told The Tennessean he'd made Coach Jeff Fisheraware of his desire to see Young play.

In the past week the 86-year-old owner has been more direct, according to sources familiar with the situation. Adams wants the change now.

LINK (http://www.tennessean.com/article/20091027/SPORTS01/910270354/Titans+owner+wants+Vince+Young+to+start)

Stemp
10-27-2009, 08:09 AM
Might as well. They are paying him as a starter and their current starter sucks ass. Honestly, they really can't do any worse.

Texan_Bill
10-27-2009, 08:20 AM
LINK (http://www.tennessean.com/article/20091027/SPORTS01/910270354/Titans+owner+wants+Vince+Young+to+start)

Bud Wants His Vince (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66265) :shades:

Txn_in_Oki
10-27-2009, 08:20 AM
So here is the predicament. Do you cheer for VY to crash and burn keeping the Jags close to us in the standings or do you hope for a Titan win to drop the Jags back a bit.

It's quite a vomit inducing decision to make.

GuerillaBlack
10-27-2009, 08:22 AM
Titans win, but they continue to a 1-15 record.

....but, then they could draft Eric Berry. Damn.

gtexan02
10-27-2009, 08:22 AM
There is zero chance that the Titans run the table after their awful 0-6 start.

A 9-7 record won't get you into the playoffs in the AFC.

So Im going to force myself to cheer for the tits because we need Jackonsville to lose. A loss puts them at 3-4, plus hurts their division record.

Because they hold the tiebreaker on us right now, a Titans loss is more important than a Jax win

ChampionTexan
10-27-2009, 08:25 AM
Bud Wants His Vince (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66265) :shades:

Shoot - I didn't see that, was just looking in the rivalry section. Oh well, his link is broken anyway (Hookem's, not Vince's) (Well, maybe Vince's too now that I think about it - I guess we'll find out).

Texan_Bill
10-27-2009, 08:27 AM
Shoot - I didn't see that, was just looking in the rivalry section. Oh well, his link is broken anyway (Hookem's, not Vince's) (Well, maybe Vince's too now that I think about it - I guess we'll find out).

I just like jacking with you about other threads!! :spit:

Kaiser Toro
10-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Come on Vince! Would love to see the Titans beat Jags, start to get competitive thereby making our Monday Night on 11/23 have some energy, and provide the Texans a platform for revenge.

I ain't holding my breath, but I want some buzz for that Monday night game.

NitroGSXR
10-27-2009, 08:46 AM
So here is the predicament. Do you cheer for VY to crash and burn keeping the Jags close to us in the standings or do you hope for a Titan win to drop the Jags back a bit.

Easy choice for me and I don't see why it's so hard for others. Whatever helps the Texans in the standings.

Go Titans.

hobie
10-27-2009, 08:56 AM
Come on Vince! Would love to see the Titans beat Jags, start to get competitive thereby making our Monday Night on 11/23 have some energy, and provide the Texans a platform for revenge.

KT, there will be buzz regardless who's under center for the Titans...It's the Titans, that alone with a Monday night showdown is the deal... VY just makes it more press worthy IMO....

Kaiser Toro
10-27-2009, 09:00 AM
KT, there will be buzz regardless who's under center for the Titans...It's the Titans, that alone with a Monday night showdown is the deal... VY just makes it more press worthy IMO....

I do not discount that line of thinking as I am well aware of how legacy Oiler fans feels, but for me there will be a huge difference in the stands if VY is under Center.

hobie
10-27-2009, 09:34 AM
I do not discount that line of thinking as I am well aware of how legacy Oiler fans feels, but for me there will be a huge difference in the stands if VY is under Center.

True, there will be a lot more VY jerseys being worn !! ughhh

Stemp
10-27-2009, 09:52 AM
True, there will be a lot more VY jerseys being worn !! ughhh

Unlikely IMO. Most of the VY lovers have given up on him. Even the Texas fans I work with think he's pretty much worthless as an NFL QB.

infantrycak
10-27-2009, 10:11 AM

Revenge for the Texans? We won the last two. They're the ones looking for revenge.

Kaiser Toro
10-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Revenge for the Texans? We won the last two. They're the ones looking for revenge.

Revenge for that comeback which VY orchestrated on our field. I was a big fan of VY in college, but not a fan of his in the NFL. That instance is the one where I am in the corner of legacy Oiler fan. I want that demon exorcised, and on national TV it would be pea soup pleasing.

Double Barrel
10-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Might as well. They are paying him as a starter and their current starter sucks ass. Honestly, they really can't do any worse.

oh yes they can do worse...0-16 is much worse than 0-6!

Root for the Titans?! NEVER!!! :dontknowa

Txn_in_Oki
10-27-2009, 12:26 PM

That's what I say. If our season comes down to a tie breaker between us and the Jags then this season is a complete and utter failure.

Ryan
10-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Go Titans.

:backsout:

NitroGSXR
10-27-2009, 02:22 PM
:backsout:

You're not a Texans fan first. You're a Titans hater first.

I'm a Texans fan first. Go Titans.

Hookem Horns
10-27-2009, 02:48 PM

Wow, that's a hard one for me personally. Do I hate the Titans more or love the Texans more? Tough call.

I will say the Titans hater side of me is 6-0 right now, while the Texans lover of me is 4-3.

Regardless, I am rooting for 0-7 so you can interpret that as you wish. It is only the mid part of the season. The Texans will have plenty of time to separate themselves from Jacksonville.

Now if this were the last week of the season and the Titans had to win to put the Texans into the playoffs, I could live with them winning for just one week I guess.

BTW, no matter what the situation you would NEVER see me say or type "Go T*t*ns". See I couldn't even do it there, unless the words "to hell" separated those 2 words. :)

Dan B.
10-27-2009, 02:59 PM
Wow, that's a hard one for me personally. Do I hate the Titans more or love the Texans more? Tough call.

I will say the Titans hater side of me is 6-0 right now, while the Texans lover of me is 4-3.

Regardless, I am rooting for 0-7 so you can interpret that as you wish. It is only the mid part of the season. The Texans will have plenty of time to separate themselves from Jacksonville.

Now if this were the last week of the season and the Titans had to win to put the Texans into the playoffs, I could live with them winning for just one week I guess.

BTW, no matter what the situation you would NEVER see me say or type "Go T*t*ns". See I couldn't even do it there, unless the words "to hell" separated those 2 words. :)

This. Every Titans loss gives me a little more joy.

I can see the other side though. If Vince comes in and they win 3 straight, there will at least be some hype for the MNF game. It'll also give Jacksonville and Buffalo kicks in the crotch that could benefit us at the end of the year.

For me that's not enough to root for Vince and Tennessee in a division game midseason.

MojoMan
10-27-2009, 03:05 PM
I still think Vince can be an outstanding QB in the NFL. Obviously he is going to have to grow up and act like a man. He is going to have to start taking responsibility for his own actions, and pushing through difficult times and situations. He cannot just sit down and pout or go on suicide watch every time things get tough for him.

Also, he needs to become a dedicated, perhaps even obsessive, student of the game. He needs to work hard to improve his skills and his understanding of his craft. Those are a lot of ifs, but they are all very achievable, if he will commit himself to the task. If he does this, I would not be surprised at all to see Vince Young in the Pro Bowl again some day.

NitroGSXR
10-27-2009, 03:10 PM

Haha. I'm not saying you or anyone else but it's kinda time for me to let it go. I've got a new team here that wants to be here and they're playing their asses off for us right now. If they need a Titans win, then by gosh, I'm going to root for a Titans win. It does give me the heebiewillies saying that but whatever it takes for the Houston Texans.

I do root for the Titans to lose every chance I get. Just not if it helps the Texans. We need the tiebreaker that much at this point in time merely because we lost to Jacksonville. I hate them so much but whatever it takes.

My number one hated team... Cowgirls then it'd be the Titans.

NitroGSXR
10-27-2009, 03:11 PM
I still think Vince can be an outstanding QB in the NFL. Obviously he is going to have to grow up and act like a man. He is going to have to start taking responsibility for his own actions, and pushing through difficult times and situations. He cannot just sit down and pout or go on suicide watch every time things get tough for him.

Also, he needs to become a dedicated, perhaps even obsessive, student of the game. He needs to work hard to improve his skills and his understanding of his craft. Those are a lot of ifs, but they are all very achievable, if he will commit himself to the task. If he does this, I would not be surprised at all to see Vince Young in the Pro Bowl again some day.

If ANY QB with talent adhered to that criterion, they'd all be probowlers.

JB
10-27-2009, 03:28 PM

Signed JaMarcus Russell!

NitroGSXR
10-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Signed JaMarcus Russell!

Is he adhering to that criterion?

That'll be a big fat no. Pun intended, FlubbyMarcus

badboy
10-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Texans win out, no problemo.

Buffi2
10-27-2009, 03:56 PM

I couldn't root for the Titans if my life depended on it - or even the Texans going to the playoffs. As far as I can go is to not be a lot unhappy if they win.

I do hope VY does get to play because I think that will probably be a very amusing game from a Titan Hater point of view.

I have heard that Vince isn't the most well-liked guy in the locker room - can't imagine why. Couple that with his lackluster play over the past few years and I can see why Fisher doesn't want Vince at the helm. I, on the other hand, can't wait to see him back! The first set of Boo's from the fans will have him running away again.

Couldn't happen to a better owner, imho.

JCTexan
10-27-2009, 04:02 PM

You're a Texan fan first, so you're rooting for the Titans? That doesn't make sense unless the game mattered for the playoff hunt, and it doesn't right now. They haven't even played half of their games & Houston still has one game against Jacksonville. If Houston can't outplay J-ville the rest of the year they simply don't deserve to be in the playoffs. I honestly don't want to see the Titans have any success.

Double Barrel
10-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Go Titans.

I'm blaming you if the Titans bring in VY and go 10-6. ;)

Word up! This is pretty much how I feel, as well. I would not be rooting for the Titans to win, but rather whoever they were playing to lose so we can get in the playoffs.

Then I would put some dish liquid soap and hydrochloric acid in my ears and scrub my brain with sandpaper, erasing all memory of such an event.

For me that's not enough to root for Vince and Tennessee in a division game midseason.

Exactly!! It's only some far-fetched scenario at the end of the season that would even make me consider selling out my soul for such a thing, and that hardly ever happens (and never happens to this point for the Texans...obviously).

Haha. I'm not saying you or anyone else but it's kinda time for me to let it go.

I would if I could watch NFLN and not see this:

http://www.remembertheafl.com/images/TitansOilersTDBartonSilvermanNYTimes.jpg

My number one hated team... Cowgirls then it'd be the Titans.

See, I'm the opposite. I used to hate the Cowboys, but all of that got eclipsed by the intense, burning hatred for Slug's team. Now I strongly dislike Dallas, but even my 7 yo knows the rule of the house and when it's actually o.k. to root for the Cowboys: when they play the Titans!

p.s. Why do you hate the Cowboys? What did they do to you? If you're honest with yourself as a Houston fan, you'll see the envy for what it is...not that there's anything wrong with it. :shades:

Texan_Bill
10-27-2009, 04:12 PM
oh yes they can do worse...0-16 is much worse than 0-6!

This!

NitroGSXR
10-27-2009, 04:20 PM
I'm blaming you if the Titans bring in VY and go 10-6. ;)

Word up! This is pretty much how I feel, as well. I would not be rooting for the Titans to win, but rather whoever they were playing to lose so we can get in the playoffs.

Then I would put some dish liquid soap and hydrochloric acid in my ears and scrub my brain with sandpaper, erasing all memory of such an event.

Exactly!! It's only some far-fetched scenario at the end of the season that would even make me consider selling out my soul for such a thing, and that hardly ever happens (and never happens to this point for the Texans...obviously).

I would if I could watch NFLN and not see this:

http://www.remembertheafl.com/images/TitansOilersTDBartonSilvermanNYTimes.jpg

See, I'm the opposite. I used to hate the Cowboys, but all of that got eclipsed by the intense, burning hatred for Slug's team. Now I strongly dislike Dallas, but even my 7 yo knows the rule of the house and when it's actually o.k. to root for the Cowboys: when they play the Titans!

p.s. Why do you hate the Cowboys? What did they do to you? If you're honest with yourself as a Houston fan, you'll see the envy for what it is...not that there's anything wrong with it. :shades:
The uniforms are wrong and something should be done about it. That was our team.

Oh it's got nothing to do with envy. I loved the Governor's cup back in the day and I wanted it every time we played whether it be preseason or not. Thus I developed an intense hatred for intra-state teams no matter the sport. I hate the Spurs and Mavericks. I hate the North Stars. I hate the Rangers. And most of all... I hate the Cowgirls.

Double Barrel
10-27-2009, 04:24 PM
NP, Nitro, I was just yanking your chain. :)

So the question is: would you root for the Cowboys if they were playing the Jaguars this week?

NitroGSXR
10-27-2009, 04:25 PM
NP, Nitro, I was just yanking your chain. :)

It was still a good question. You learned something about me, yanking or not.

Thorn
10-27-2009, 04:36 PM
I don't care what the Tacks do, as long as we beat them when we play them. Let 'em start VY, we have the better QB anyway. The Titans are done for this year, so now they can just be jerks and spoil other's playoff runs, which is the only thing that scares me about them.

And that Monday night game we got coming up, they'll be up for it even if they are still zip in the win collumn. You just know they will.

JCTexan
10-27-2009, 04:36 PM
The uniforms are wrong and something should be done about it. That was our team.

Oh it's got nothing to do with envy. I loved the Governor's cup back in the day and I wanted it every time we played whether it be preseason or not. Thus I developed an intense hatred for intra-state teams no matter the sport. I hate the Spurs and Mavericks. I hate the North Stars. I hate the Rangers. And most of all... I hate the Cowgirls.

I couldn't be more opposite than you. I root for most of the teams in Texas, unless they're playing my favorite team in the State. I'm not a Cowboy fan, and don't claim to be, but my hatred for them doesn't even come close to the Titans. It's hard for me to actually hate a team that Houston doesn't play but once every four years. Same thing with the Texas Rangers. I only root against them 6 times a year. All of which come against the Astros. I don't hate any team that is from Texas.

NitroGSXR
10-27-2009, 04:37 PM
I couldn't be more opposite than you. I root for most of the teams in Texas, unless they're playing my favorite team in the State. I'm not a Cowboy fan, and don't claim to be, but my hatred for them doesn't even come close to the Titans. It's hard for me to actually hate a team that Houston doesn't play but once every four years. Same thing with the Texas Rangers. I only root against them 6 times a year. All of which come against the Astros.

I know. Most people are like you. I always get the exasperated WHY!? They're from Texas too!

Thorn
10-27-2009, 04:40 PM
I know. Most people are like you. I always get the exasperated WHY!? They're from Texas too!

I'm there with you, I hate the Cowgirls more than any team in the NFL. More than the Tacks, Colts and Kittens put togeather. Screw the Cowturds. I hope their new stadium falls in and they move to Jacksonville after the Jacks move to LA. hahahahahahaha

Texan_Bill
10-27-2009, 04:41 PM
We have so much discrimination on this board. I hate them both equally. :tiphat:

JCTexan
10-27-2009, 04:46 PM

I would probably have hatred for them if they were from the AFC, but I just can't hate a team that's from the NFC. Any team Houston plays once every four years I simply can't hate. I simply just don't care about the Cowboys enough to hate them.

HOU-TEX
10-27-2009, 04:54 PM
VY's the best QB of all time

Double Barrel
10-27-2009, 05:01 PM
It was still a good question. You learned something about me, yanking or not.

So the question is: would you root for the Cowboys if they were playing the Jaguars this week?

MojoMan
10-27-2009, 05:11 PM

There are quite a few NFL quarterbacks with talent that adhere to that criterion, but only the best two out of that group from each conference get to go. If Vince Young were to apply himself, he could still turn out to be one of the best quarterbacks in the league.

NitroGSXR
10-27-2009, 05:17 PM

Why you little shi...

:lion:

Dammit... Yeah I would.

NitroGSXR
10-27-2009, 05:17 PM
There are quite a few NFL quarterbacks with talent that adhere to that criterion, but only the best two out of that group from each conference get to go. If Vince Young were to apply himself, he could still turn out to be one of the best quarterbacks in the league.

The point was that your criterion was quite broad. It applies to any NFL QB.

Double Barrel
10-27-2009, 05:18 PM
Respectfully agree to disagree about VY, Mojo. The dude can't read defenses and has horrible passing accuracy, which are two basics for being a great QB. I'm not sure how much of that can be developed at the pro level, since most of the greats already have those abilities upon being drafted and just refine them as pros.

If anything, I think VY could be a Trent Dilfer-esque QB (i.e. game manager, except with running ability) with all of the applicable hard work, film study, and dedication that the position requires. At this point, there is a big question mark if he even has the heart to make that kind of long-term commitment.

MojoMan
10-27-2009, 05:46 PM
Respectfully agree to disagree about VY, Mojo. The dude can't read defenses and has horrible passing accuracy, which are two basics for being a great QB. I'm not sure how much of that can be developed at the pro level, since most of the greats already have those abilities upon being drafted and just refine them as pros.

If anything, I think VY could be a Trent Dilfer-esque QB (i.e. game manager, except with running ability) with all of the applicable hard work, film study, and dedication that the position requires. At this point, there is a big question mark if he even has the heart to make that kind of long-term commitment.

I know I am stepping out there with this one. Perhaps it will never happen. It is not inevitable by any means. But I remember watching him throw the ball in college, and his accuracy was excellent. In fact, he finished his senior season with the #3 passer rating in the NCAA. And he had been #1 for most of the later part of the season - he just fell a couple spots after the last game.

Vince can throw accurately, but your point about his having trouble reading defenses is well taken. As far as I can see, he seems to have the intellectual capacity to learn this if he will work at it. But he has not demonstrated that level of determination so far.

However, it is amazing what a season or two on the bench can do for your ability to focus. Just think about Alex Smith this last weekend. He had been benched, and there was even talk during camp about him getting cut, but when he finally got his shot against the Texans, he made the most of it. I will not be surprised at all if Vince Young does the same thing.

But then again, I would not be willing to bet money on it happening either.

eriadoc
10-27-2009, 06:03 PM
I know I am stepping out there with this one. Perhaps it will never happen. It is not inevitable by any means. But I remember watching him throw the ball in college, and his accuracy was excellent. In fact, he finished his senior season with the #3 passer rating in the NCAA. And he had been #1 for most of the later part of the season - he just fell a couple spots after the last game.

That's your issue, right there. QB in the NFL is 90% between the ears and who's surrounding you. Even QBs that are very low on the physical scale can have success in the NFL if they have it together upstairs (see Chad Pennington). It's only about 10% physical, if that, when you consider that every other NFL QB can do most of the same things you can, physically. The divide is not so great in the NFL as it is in college. VY will never be a great NFL QB. He just doesn't have what it takes.

And I hope the Tacks waste this year not realizing that, and then start him next year.

Double Barrel
10-27-2009, 06:08 PM

Vince can throw accurately, but your point about his having trouble reading defenses is well taken. As far as I can see, he seems to have the intellectual capacity to learn this if he will work at it. But he has not demonstrated that level of determination so far.

However, it is amazing what a season or two on the bench can do for your ability to focus. Just think about Alex Smith this last weekend. He had been benched, and there was even talk during camp about him getting cut, but when he finally got his shot against the Texans, he made the most of it. I will not be surprised at all if Vince Young does the same thing.

But then again, I would not be willing to bet money on it happening either.

Young had a phenomenal college career, and he deserves all the props he gets for what he accomplished. And from that perspective, I can certainly see why the hype existed and why so many were sold on the guy.

With regards to his accuracy, I attribute it to two things: consistently great pass protection and inferior coverage. He gets neither in the NFL on a consistent basis, so his tendency has been to run instead of developing his pocket presence.

But I never say never (unless it's rooting for the Titans, of course), so you could be right that he has matured on the bench and used his time off wisely to fine tune and develops the skills he will need to be a solid NFL QB. Time will tell, because we will see him in action soon.

Vinny
10-27-2009, 06:16 PM
Realistically it is smart to play Young now. If there wasn't so much money in him you could just bury him on the bench, but when you are o-fer more than a quarter of the way though the season you gotta see exactly what you have before you have to deal with his salary bonus next year (to cut, or not to cut....that is the question). If I were the Texans I'd turn him into Danny Davis and run the Veer (may as well, they can't pass anyway). Bill Yeoman would be proud.

infantrycak
10-27-2009, 06:22 PM
With regards to his accuracy, I attribute it to two things: consistently great pass protection and inferior coverage. He gets neither in the NFL on a consistent basis, so his tendency has been to run instead of developing his pocket presence.

Three things - he also pumped his completion percentage by dumping to backs and especially TE's a lot. His accuracy was bad past 20 yards even when his completion % was 70%. Then you factor in better coverage as you have noted in the NFL and well you get to sit on the bench.

NitroGSXR
10-27-2009, 06:29 PM
Three things - he also pumped his completion percentage by dumping to backs and especially TE's a lot. His accuracy was bad past 20 yards even when his completion % was 70%. Then you factor in better coverage as you have noted in the NFL and well you get to sit on the bench.

Doing that against the University of Louisiana-Lafayette will also insanely bolster those numbers. UT really plays a cakewalk schedule year in and out. They've refused some games in favor of lessor opponents. It's a Mack Brown signature. He is the college version of Bill Belichick in terms of loading up on stats.

I'm still a Longhorn fan.

ChrisG
10-27-2009, 09:08 PM
im routing for a titans win (i think almost the 1st time ever)...i want them to knock the Jags down a peg and I really hate playing a 0 win team, b/c there is too much pressure not to b thier 1st win

and as far as VY goes, cant wait to Super Mario rip him up on MNF

Hookem Horns
10-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Doing that against the University of Louisiana-Lafayette will also insanely bolster those numbers. UT really plays a cakewalk schedule year in and out. They've refused some games in favor of lessor opponents. It's a Mack Brown signature. He is the college version of Bill Belichick in terms of loading up on stats.

I'm still a Longhorn fan.

I often complain about this too as a Longhorn fan, however keep in mind that one of those out of conference cake walk games Vince had during his last season was against Ohio State. He actually had a pretty good passing game against them.

That being said I agree with everyone here that he doesn't have it between the ears to be a good NFL QB. If he plays he will have flashes to keep his worshippers excited and still believing but will he ever be a consistently good QB in the NFL? I really don't think so. Honestly there aren't many of those in the league period. The Texans are extremely fortunate to have landed Schaub. Just think if they would have signed Jake Plummer. I wonder what we would be stuck with right now.

imatexan
10-27-2009, 11:37 PM
I often complain about this too as a Longhorn fan, however keep in mind that one of those out of conference cake walk games Vince had during his last season was against Ohio State. He actually had a pretty good passing game against them.

That being said I agree with everyone here that he doesn't have it between the ears to be a good NFL QB. If he plays he will have flashes to keep his worshippers excited and still believing but will he ever be a consistently good QB in the NFL? I really don't think so. Honestly there aren't many of those in the league period. The Texans are extremely fortunate to have landed Schaub. Just think if they would have signed Jake Plummer. I wonder what we would be stuck with right now.

Where you in the club level with a jersey that said "Hookem" at the 49er game?

Silver Oak
10-28-2009, 08:58 AM
if VY is to start his self proclaimed trek to the HOF, they might as well start him soon.

Texan_Bill
10-28-2009, 09:54 AM

Bo Scaife (to a lesser degree) and David Thomas.

And I've said this for several years now, Limas Sweed was VY's best friend when it came to passes over 8-10 yards. Limas had the height and hops to go up and get jump balls and bad balls.

spurstexanstros
10-28-2009, 05:54 PM
Why is it when i see or hear Vince Young I automatically hear the great Hambino say "you play ball like a girl" (my apologies to all the women because I know yall throw better than Vince)

Hookem Horns
10-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Where you in the club level with a jersey that said "Hookem" at the 49er game?

Yep, that was me. #94 and Hookem on the back. Where were you?

imatexan
11-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Yep, that was me. #94 and Hookem on the back. Where were you?

I was on the club level and saw it from a distance...thought that it was probally you.