PDA

View Full Version : Our Run D

Jackie Chiles
10-25-2009, 09:01 PM
What an amazing turnaround. 4 games in a row we have kept the opposing team under 60 yards on the ground. I'd estimate we did that maybe once a season on average before this year if that. Just a joy to watch.

Mailman
10-25-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm really not surprised because I was in the camp of those who saw good things in the first three weeks where many others saw oceans of suck. Even when the run d was getting gashed by the Thomas Jones-Drews of the NFL, I saw them making ++ plays on the defensive side that led to third and longs. They just couldn't get off the field because of the big plays they gave up, usually as a result of missed gap assignments. That stuff is correctable but talent and speed can't be taught. Even then I liked the aggressiveness the Texans displayed and used that as my beacon of hope.

I'm very happy to see them reward my patience. Me likey much the swarm around the football on every play.

SteveSlaton20
10-25-2009, 10:39 PM
justin fargas 10 for 24 yards
beanie wells 7 for 24 yards
cedric benson 16 for 44 yards and 1 td
frank gore 13 for 32 yards
=
124 yards and 1 touchdowns

yep, they've stepped up big time since giving up 423 yards and 7 touchdowns total to thomas jones, cj, and mjd.

Carr Bombed
10-25-2009, 11:38 PM
What an amazing turnaround. 4 games in a row we have kept the opposing team under 60 yards on the ground. I'd estimate we did that maybe once a season on average before this year if that. Just a joy to watch.

Actually it is under 50 yards for 4 straight games...

they held the Raiders, Cardinals and Bengals to less than 50 yards rushing apiece. To put that in perspective, consider this: Texans defenses had done it just four times previously in franchise history.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6677692.html

So when you add in today's game.....Houston has matched the franchise history total in just the last 4 games.

Jackie Chiles
10-25-2009, 11:45 PM
Actually it is under 50 yards for 4 straight games...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6677692.html

So when you add in today's game.....Houston has matched the franchise history total in just the last 4 games.

The Niners got above 50 yards on the ground today so I lumped the other three in the under 60 category.

Carr Bombed
10-26-2009, 12:02 AM
The Niners got above 50 yards on the ground today so I lumped the other three in the under 60 category.

Yeah, your right....I checked right after the game and NFL.com has gone back and updated their box score. I guess earlier they didn't have all the rushing stats.

Good call. It's amazing what they've been able to do though.....however I want to see if they can do it vs. MJD and Chris Johnson in our rematches. Thats where they'll really get the chance to redeem themselves.

whiskeyrbl
10-26-2009, 05:13 AM
Yeah, your right....I checked right after the game and NFL.com has gone back and updated their box score. I guess earlier they didn't have all the rushing stats.

Good call. It's amazing what they've been able to do though.....however I want to see if they can do it vs. MJD and Chris Johnson in our rematches. Thats where they'll really get the chance to redeem themselves.
20 of those yards were by Alex Smith on Scrambles.

Maddict5
10-26-2009, 06:01 AM
I'm really not surprised because I was in the camp of those who saw good things in the first three weeks where many others saw oceans of suck. Even when the run d was getting gashed by the Thomas Jones-Drews of the NFL, I saw them making ++ plays on the defensive side that led to third and longs. They just couldn't get off the field because of the big plays they gave up, usually as a result of missed gap assignments. That stuff is correctable but talent and speed can't be taught. Even then I liked the aggressiveness the Texans displayed and used that as my beacon of hope.

I'm very happy to see them reward my patience. Me likey much the swarm around the football on every play.

yeah i was the same. this is from the 'we cant stop the run thread from about 4 weeks ago:

defensively we can stop the run. id guess we've had more TFL's & no gains so far this season than we had in over 8 games last season when we couldnt stop the run. its just those two monster plays we give up a game due to young guys making mistakes & being in the wrong position. hopefully that should stop as they get more experience

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64924