PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Turns Down Offer

HoustonFrog
10-21-2009, 04:38 PM
Without even reading it I was already thinking..."should have taken it Jerry." Then he explains it and I'm not sure what stopped him besides Jerry overvaluing a player on a team that has been average right now. I'm wondering what player could be so valuable and so untradebale for high picks and another starter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=4582872

IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones made it clear Wednesday that he turned down a "significant offer" before Tuesday's trade deadline.

The details of the proposed deal are muddy, and Jones hopes to keep it that way.

"We had a significant offer for a key player that we turned down, and turned down in getting in more extended dialogue for," Jones said. "So we did have that kind of activity ... but I shouldn't name the player or the team. It was a very firm, significant offer for one of our young players that we had a chance for a lot of consideration if we had wanted to take it, and we didn't."

When asked specifically whether Tashard Choice was the target, Jones said the player was not a running back.

He indicated that the Cowboys were offered at least one premium draft pick for the player. He also hinted that the Cowboys could have pushed for a player who could contribute this season.

"We could have probably made a 'now' impact and just bolstered a position and significantly, and obviously we would have had a takeaway since it's a young player for the future," Jones said. "By the same token, and I'm talking about the type of consideration, first- or second-round type consideration, but the bottom line is this, had I not thought that we need that player right now as opposed to pushing forward in consideration for picks in the future, then I would have taken the pick option on it rather than the player."

Showtime100
10-21-2009, 04:49 PM
"The details of the proposed deal are muddy"

No shit.

EDIT: I should elaborate. This is Jerry Jones. For all we know this was his way of getting media attention.

HoustonFrog
10-21-2009, 04:56 PM
No shit.

EDIT: I should elaborate. This is Jerry Jones. For all we know this was his way of getting media attention.

Even being a fan I agree. I just don't know of a player on the team that would make me thing..."sorry I don't want that 1st rounder and that starter from your team" because no one has played that well to deserve it so far. I would be "done and done."

Texan_Bill
10-21-2009, 05:03 PM
No shit.

This is what first popped into my head too.

Texecutioner
10-21-2009, 05:05 PM
No shit.

My thoughts exactly. This is basically an article about nothing.

WWJD
10-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Jerry probably made that up.

CloakNNNdagger
10-21-2009, 05:29 PM
As forked as Stretch's tongue is, I have the "code" figured out. It's Flozell Adams!. He is young (younger than Jerruh). He has "now" impact (guaranteed penalties every game) as well as future impact (part of the building blocks barring playoff appearances). And like he said, he would have gone for a pick rather than a player (after all he already has an offensive player..........very offensive). Yep, the Girls are stuck with Flozell, until either he or Jerruh croaks. What a story!:rake:

WWJD
10-21-2009, 05:39 PM
The Cowboys have one of the top ranked offenses...I just don't believe Jerry about all that.

Double Barrel
10-21-2009, 05:54 PM
It was Buffalo calling about taking Romo for T.O.! :heh:

Blake
10-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Even being a fan I agree. I just don't know of a player on the team that would make me thing..."sorry I don't want that 1st rounder and that starter from your team" because no one has played that well to deserve it so far. I would be "done and done."

So if it was Ware you would have traded him?

GlassHalfFull
10-22-2009, 09:29 AM

^^^^^^This. :clap::clap::clap:

Buffi2
10-22-2009, 09:35 AM

Actually, it was Detroit wanting to trade Jim Schwartz for Wade Phillips.

kastofsna
10-22-2009, 09:56 AM
my guess is the Patriots calling about Miles Austin

Honoring Earl 34
10-22-2009, 10:43 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/22/mort-bengals-wanted-martellus-bennett/

ESPN's Chris Mortenson reports that the Cincinnati Bengals are the team who was interested in swinging a trade with the Dallas Cowboys and that, as we had been hearing, the target was tight end Martellus Bennett.

eriadoc
10-22-2009, 10:48 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/22/mort-bengals-wanted-martellus-bennett/

Makes sense after watching Owen Daniels up close and personal last Sunday. :D

V Man
10-22-2009, 10:55 AM
If it was Bennett, and I were him. I think I might be a little upset that they didn't make the trade.

1. Knowing that his name isn't Witten, he knows he will always be the second TE for the Cowboys, and (according to TO) you won't get many passes thrown your way (cause you are not Witten)

2. Palmer >>>> Romo

StarStruck
10-22-2009, 03:20 PM
1. Knowing that his name isn't Witten, he knows he will always be the second TE for the Cowboys, and (according to TO) you won't get many passes thrown your way (cause you are not Witten)

Also, according to one of the announcers in the Dallas/KC game, Witten is Romo's favorite target.

jppaul
10-22-2009, 03:43 PM
There were also rumors about this here:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66090

Saying basically that it was us trying for Tashard Choice offering a 2nd and a 4th.

HoustonFrog
10-22-2009, 04:03 PM
What is funny about the Martellus trade rumor is that he was supposed to be a big part of their offense when they ran alot of double TE formations. He isn't getting the ball..and neither is Witten in the red zone in some games. So being the 2nd TE on a team that isn't using them effectively right now isn't the best thing. There was an article about a charity event he was at and I believe he joked with a kid that was throwing the ball to not be like Romo because he wouldn't get the ball. I'd have done this deal. Witten isn't old and will be the man no matter Bennetts talent..which is there.

So if it was Ware you would have traded him?

I thought about this and as crazy as it seems, I might. He hasn't been as effective this year. He is a complete stud but the defense has underperformed in big moments. Depends on who the player being offered was and the pick. If it was 1st rounder and a legit starter, I'd entertain it. If it was 2nd rounder and starter, probably not because Jerry would trade back with that pick and get a special teamer..lol

nero THE zero
10-22-2009, 04:30 PM

Dammit, that would have been golden for my fantasy team.

WWJD
10-22-2009, 05:12 PM
What is funny about the Martellus trade rumor is that he was supposed to be a big part of their offense when they ran alot of double TE formations. He isn't getting the ball..and neither is Witten in the red zone in some games. So being the 2nd TE on a team that isn't using them effectively right now isn't the best thing. There was an article about a charity event he was at and I believe he joked with a kid that was throwing the ball to not be like Romo because he wouldn't get the ball. I'd have done this deal. Witten isn't old and will be the man no matter Bennetts talent..which is there.

I thought about this and as crazy as it seems, I might. He hasn't been as effective this year. He is a complete stud but the defense has underperformed in big moments. Depends on who the player being offered was and the pick. If it was 1st rounder and a legit starter, I'd entertain it. If it was 2nd rounder and starter, probably not because Jerry would trade back with that pick and get a special teamer..lol

You probably know this already but Ware has had a stress fracture in his left foot this year but he said he'll continue to play. And he has some neck problem as well but I don't know what specifically is wrong.

Definitely he's not the same player this year as last..I just attributed it to the loss of Ellis. Maybe not.

badboy
10-22-2009, 05:21 PM
I had a dream and like you know another team called me as in my dream I am the owner of the Texans and like I make the decisions in my dreams and I was offered two second round picks and Sage Rosenfels for a certain quarterback and I really shouldn't say who the QB was but he is on the roster and like I would have taken the offer if it was a high first round but the team and I won't say which one probably will not have a high pick because SOMEBODY CAN"T STAY RETIRED. Anyway, I said no. The end.

HoustonFrog
10-23-2009, 09:43 AM
You probably know this already but Ware has had a stress fracture in his left foot this year but he said he'll continue to play. And he has some neck problem as well but I don't know what specifically is wrong.

Definitely he's not the same player this year as last..I just attributed it to the loss of Ellis. Maybe not.

Yeah I have been reading that. I do think the Ellis hit hurt though too. I just don't look at the team and think "no one is untradeable." He is as close as it gets.

WWJD
10-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Yeah I have been reading that. I do think the Ellis hit hurt though too. I just don't look at the team and think "no one is untradeable." He is as close as it gets.

yea losing Ellis definitely hurt Ware. No doubt. I didn't think it would myself but I was wrong.