PDA

View Full Version : Cushing is AFC defensive player of the week (again)

RTP2110
10-21-2009, 12:40 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/21/brady-brees-claim-pow-honors/

For the defense, Texans rookie linebacker Brian Cushing won the AFC prize for his role in a 28-17 win over the Bengals. Cushing had nine tackles, two forced fumbles, and an interception.

TexansFanatic
10-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Fantastic!

Showtime100
10-21-2009, 12:50 PM
If he didn't get it it would have been a crime. Great news. :splits:

gtexan02
10-21-2009, 12:52 PM
If he didn't get it it would have been a crime. Great news. :splits:

This is not rookie of the week, this is defensive player of the week. Awesoem!

Porky
10-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Awesome! Cushing was one of the steals in this last draft, and considering he was #15 overall that is saying something. He is a beast against the run, and you know what, he is getting better against the pass and that pick he made most WR's would not have made. He is playing sideline to sideline and is constantly in attack mode. If he keeps improving I see a probowl invite as a rookie.

BigBull17
10-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Awesome! Cushing was one of the steals in this last draft, and considering he was #15 overall that is saying something. He is a beast against the run, and you know what, he is getting better against the pass and that pick he made most WR's would not have made. He is playing sideline to sideline and is constantly in attack mode. If he keeps improving I see a probowl invite as a rookie.

God, to think I was very hard on him and absolutely hated the pick. Glad I'm not a GM.

Texan_Bill
10-21-2009, 01:04 PM
Awesome!!

Spike
10-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Even though he has brought so much on the field, I think Cushing's greatest contribution is that intangible toughness and love for the game. The guy is putting up crazy numbers for any player...and he is only 6 games into his career. I think his attitude and toughness are rubbing off on other players on this team.

Whether he gets the recognition he deserves or not this year, I am absolutely giddy about thinking about this guy when he has a full season or two under his belt. Again, above and beyond his play on the field, I think his attitude and dedication is going to bleed to other players on the defense and then the entire team.

I think Cushing is getting respect from his teammats, but I think he knows how to play the game and is being a rookie this year. Next year, all bets are off. I don't think you will see too many guys sleeping in team meetings or not giving 100% on the field as he continues to earn the respect he deserves and Mario and Ryans welcome him to the table of defensive team leaders.

76Texan
10-21-2009, 01:12 PM
Let's not forget the guys around him who made it possible.
I haven't reviewed the game in depth, but Pollard and Barwin came to mind!

No need to decorate just one guy, especially when he doesn't need the accollade.

Cjeremy635
10-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Let's not forget the guys around him who made it possible.
I haven't reviewed the game in depth, but Pollard and Barwin came to mind!

No need to decorate just one guy, especially when he doesn't need the accollade.

Sorry, I don't put Barwin in that group. He may have made 1 play, but overall I haven't been too impressed. He shined in preseason and then has since been pretty "blah" IMHO.

JMacaroni
10-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Spike, couldn't have said it better myself. With Cushing performing like he is combined with his work ethic will rub off. People made a big deal about guys falling asleep in meetings, it's going to happen regardless, but it will change with him around. He was a great pick on ALL levels.

Cjeremy635
10-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Spike, couldn't have said it better myself. With Cushing performing like he is combined with his work ethic will rub off. People made a big deal about guys falling asleep in meetings, it's going to happen regardless, but it will change with him around. He was a great pick on ALL levels.

I must have missed it....but when did this come out? I never heard about the players sleeping. Why aren't the coaches waking them up and chewing their ass out?

Malloy
10-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Even though he has brought so much on the field, I think Cushing's greatest contribution is that intangible toughness and love for the game. The guy is putting up crazy numbers for any player...and he is only 6 games into his career. I think his attitude and toughness are rubbing off on other players on this team.

Whether he gets the recognition he deserves or not this year, I am absolutely giddy about thinking about this guy when he has a full season or two under his belt. Again, above and beyond his play on the field, I think his attitude and dedication is going to bleed to other players on the defense and then the entire team.

I think Cushing is getting respect from his teammats, but I think he knows how to play the game and is being a rookie this year. Next year, all bets are off. I don't think you will see too many guys sleeping in team meetings or not giving 100% on the field as he continues to earn the respect he deserves and Mario and Ryans welcome him to the table of defensive team leaders.

Agreed!

We have no less that 4 smashmouth players on D, Demeco, Cushing, Pollard and Quin. That stuff rubs off on others!

No More 8-8's
10-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Cuuuuuuuuuuuussshhhhhh!!!!!!

JMacaroni
10-21-2009, 01:26 PM
I must have missed it....but when did this come out? I never heard about the players sleeping. Why aren't the coaches waking them up and chewing their ass out?

read Cushing's blog. www.briancushing56.com

beerlover
10-21-2009, 01:29 PM
WOW :breakdance: Brian Cushing has consumed the position with elite size, dedication & must be very coachable. nod to Frank Bush, Rick Smith & Gary Kubiak for going out there & drafting this rising star :logo:

JMacaroni
10-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Coaching staff too laid back? Not sure, take your pick for a number of reasons. And I'm also not sure if it's full team meetings or group (lb,dl,wr,etc) meetings. Only can assume...

disaacks3
10-21-2009, 01:36 PM
Good for him! He definitely had the stats for it. Now he's on my "Schaub watch"...I want to see if we can keep him on the field for the next 10 games.

JMacaroni
10-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Good for him! He definitely had the stats for it. Now he's on my "Schaub watch"...I want to see if we can keep him on the field for the next 10 games.

I hear ya

was385
10-21-2009, 01:40 PM
Him and pollard have completely changed this defense. Cushing brings an aggresiveness, toughness, and attitude that this team sorely needed. As long as he stays healthy he's going to be a star player.

noxiousdog
10-21-2009, 02:01 PM

Because when you're Brian Cushing you have leeway. When you're 5th on the depth chart you get cut. That's from the Jimmy Johnson school of coaching.

76Texan
10-21-2009, 02:02 PM
Sorry, I don't put Barwin in that group. He may have made 1 play, but overall I haven't been too impressed. He shined in preseason and then has since been pretty "blah" IMHO.
My comment is never meant to sing Barwin.

I had stressed from day one that Barwin needs time to learn his position.
I even said (when one of the posters think Barwin should go in the first round) that he will need a lot of patience.

I repeated myself when some posters were so gungho with his PS performance, that he still has a lot of things to learn.

But I always try to put forth my best observation I can without being bias.
The obvious, everybody can see.
The little things behind the play that made the play.
I'm always on the side of guys who make plays or help to make the play; those are harder to see.

I call what I see, and I don't want to forget the others who contributed.

What I said, it takes more than one guy to make a play successful. :cool:

JMacaroni
10-21-2009, 02:43 PM
Because when you're Brian Cushing you have leeway. When you're 5th on the depth chart you get cut. That's from the Jimmy Johnson school of coaching.

He's a 1st rounder that sits in front so it doesn't happen. Not sure who to compare him to as far as dedication, maybe one of a kind.

Texans#1Fan
10-21-2009, 04:14 PM
cushing is the star for this defense and I know he will continue to grow into a big big time player.

Marcus
10-21-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm waiting to see what happens when he hits that rookie wall. When Amobi hit it, it knocked him out cold.

False Start
10-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Way to go Cush! :jam:

TexansFanatic
10-21-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm waiting to see what happens when he hits that rookie wall. When Amobi hit it, it knocked him out cold.

Cushing is a different breed of cat. I don't think there will be a rookie wall.

Texan JBZ
10-21-2009, 05:55 PM
Attaboy Cush!!! He's closing in on taking Dre's spot as my favorite Texans player.

whiskeyrbl
10-21-2009, 05:59 PM

IMO Cushing knocks the wall down.:kingkong:

mexican_texan
10-21-2009, 06:27 PM
And to think I wasn't happy at all with the pick.

TexanBacker93
10-21-2009, 06:50 PM
Great job 56. I think we'll see many more of these.

Big Lou
10-21-2009, 07:27 PM
This guy needs a kick ass nick name. Cush has a nice ring, he reminds me of Lawrence Taylor with his intensity level. I'm not saying he's LT just yet, but man the guy loves the game and is just an animal, especially for a Rook....

I wasn't dissapointed with the pick, I was just wondering if Matthews was the pick, but I think that was more about history than anything. Also they knocked BC's coverage skills, but an INT, and several passes defensed seem to blow that out of the water thus far.

Hell, let's see if he can be our short yardage back!!!!!!! JK, sort of.

SAMURAITEXAN
10-21-2009, 07:29 PM
Yes! Cushing!!!

Go Cushing!!!
Go Texans!!!

dc_txtech
10-21-2009, 07:50 PM

DeMeco just hurdled the damn thing. I think Cushing does the same thing if he can stay healthy.

GP
10-21-2009, 07:53 PM
Cushing is a different breed of cat. I don't think there will be a rookie wall.

Yeah, this guy is a retro-NFL-throwback to me.

Anything could happen, but I don't sense any let up in the guy.

He's ill.

mike moffat
10-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Well deserved. What a catalyst to the defense.

HOU-TEX
11-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Cushing wins it again!

Texans rookie linebacker Brian Cushing was named AFC Defensive Player of the Week for Week 8, becoming the first Texans rookie to win the award twice in one season. The first-round draft pick (No. 15 overall) out of USC previously received the honor in Week 6.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5773

Texan_Bill
11-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Cushing wins it again!

Sweet!! And by sweet, I mean totally cool!!!

Cjeremy635
11-04-2009, 03:03 PM
That's awesome! I've been screaming his praises lately and it's nice to see the rest of the league do the same. I've got his jersey on my Christmas list, but I may have to make the investment a month early.

barrett
11-04-2009, 03:12 PM
doing my re-watch now and i'm telling you he's even better than we thought!

TexansFanatic
11-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Dude's playing like a top 5 pick. Amazing.

Battle Red Flash
11-04-2009, 04:18 PM

I'll bet that it helps that his foot is hurt. He's skipping two practices a week to rest it.

Malloy
11-04-2009, 04:43 PM
I'll bet that it helps that his foot is hurt. He's skipping two practices a week to rest it.

So not only is he injury prone, he is lazy too?

:)

nunusguy
11-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Like I told you guys from Day 1, no way this long-haired, hippy USC guy is worth a first round pick.

HOU-TEX
11-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Like I told you guys from Day 1, no way this long-haired, hippy USC guy is worth a first round pick.

Do you think he's happy to be in Houston yet?

JimC
11-04-2009, 04:57 PM
This is a great personal honor for Cushing, and he has played so well he clearly deserves it.

In looking at the article on the Texans' web site, I noticed something with more team-wide implications. At the bottom of the article, they give a table of Texans who have won weekly honors.

If you break down the number of times each year that a Texans player has won weekly honors, it looks like this:

2002 - 2
2003 - 1
2004 - 1
2005 - 1
2006 - 3
2007 - 3
2008 - 4
2009 - 4 (so far)

It seems to me that this reflects a real change in the talent level for this team. We have more players capable of winning individual awards, and they are surrounded by more players who are good enough to put them in a position to win individual awards.

There has been an obvious change that started in 2006 -- when Kubiak arrived...

I hope this is an upward trend that continues for a long time to come!

whiskeyrbl
11-04-2009, 04:59 PM
This is a great personal honor for Cushing, and he has played so well he clearly deserves it.

In looking at the article on the Texans' web site, I noticed something with more team-wide implications. At the bottom of the article, they give a table of Texans who have won weekly honors.

If you break down the number of times each year that a Texans player has won weekly honors, it looks like this:

2002 - 2
2003 - 1
2004 - 1
2005 - 1
2006 - 3
2007 - 3
2008 - 4
2009 - 4 (so far)

It seems to me that this reflects a real change in the talent level for this team. We have more players capable of winning individual awards, and they are surrounded by more players who are good enough to put them in a position to win individual awards.

There has been an obvious change that started in 2006 -- when Kubiak arrived...

I hope this is an upward trend that continues for a long time to come!

Thanks for the breakdown. But be wary of the "Fire Kubiak" gang.

nunusguy
11-04-2009, 05:12 PM

What I'm sure of is that Houston is deleriously happy with him and if he continues winning awards at this rate we may need to retire his uni at the end of his rookie year.

thunderkyss
11-04-2009, 05:21 PM

So not only is he injury prone, he is lazy too?

:)

The bum

Brisco_County
11-04-2009, 05:43 PM

Ha.

I wonder what he would've looked like in Richard Smith's defense.

awtysst
11-04-2009, 08:46 PM

http://img.youtube.com/vi/eGDBR2L5kzI/0.jpg

If Coach tells you that I missed practice, then thats that. I may have missed one practice this year but if somebody says he missed one practice of all the practices this year, then thats enough to get a whole lot started. I told Coach Brown that you dont have to give the people of Philadelphia a reason to think about trading me or anything like that. If you trade somebody, you trade them to make the team bettersimple as that. Im cool with that. Im all about that. The people in Philadelphia deserve to have a winner. Its simple as that. It goes further than that If I cant practice, I cant practice. It is as simple as that. It aint about that at all. Its easy to sum it up if youre just talking about practice. Were sitting here, and Im supposed to be the franchise player, and were talking about practice. I mean listen, were sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but were talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like its my last but were talking about practice man. How silly is that? Now I know that Im supposed to lead by example and all that but Im not shoving that aside like it dont mean anything. I know its important, I honestly do but were talking about practice. Were talking about practice man. Were talking about practice. Were talking about practice. Were not talking about the game. Were talking about practice. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, youve seen me play right, youve seen me give everything Ive got, but were talking about practice right now. Hey I hear you, its funny to me too, hey its strange to me too but were talking about practice man, were not even talking about the game, when it actually matters, were talking about practice How the hell can I make my teammates better by practicing?

Big Lou
11-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Ha.

He would have killed Richard Smith and taken over the DC position and still played SLB.

DerekLee1
11-05-2009, 12:05 AM
Awesome! Cushing was one of the steals in this last draft, and considering he was #15 overall that is saying something.

I don't consider Cushing a "steal" at 15. It's right where you'd expect to draft a quality LB. He was the 2nd LB taken after Aaron Curry, and another one wasn't taken until Ayers at 18. It's a great pick, but if you want to talk "steal", try Owen Daniels in the 4th round, or DeMeco in the 2nd round.

DexmanC
11-05-2009, 12:26 AM
I don't consider Cushing a "steal" at 15. It's right where you'd expect to draft a quality LB. He was the 2nd LB taken after Aaron Curry, and another one wasn't taken until Ayers at 18. It's a great pick, but if you want to talk "steal", try Owen Daniels in the 4th round, or DeMeco in the 2nd round.

Funny story about that. I remember that draft like it was yesterday. Who
wouldn't?? It was all about Reggie Bush. Well, Demeco was a finalist for
the Lombardi Award, 1st Team All SEC, All American, Academic All American,
borderline College Football Hall of Fame Linebacker from Alabama. Before
the draft, some boards had him rated in the top #15. Then, the combine
happened. He ran a slow 40 time, and other scouts noted how "SMALL"
he was for the position of linebacker. "Slow and Small" dropped out of the
first round.

When it was time to make the 33rd pick of the 2006 draft, the Texans
handed that draft card over FAST!! The Texans have made brilliant drafts
since Kubiak got here. One draft later, we get Diles in the 7th round.
Two drafts after that, we get Cushing with the 15th pick. If you want
to hear a fanbase crushed by its team drafting in the top 10 every year,
and not reaping the benefits, go read the Bills messageboards. The
Texans ARE the contenders for the Colts AFC South crown.

The last time the Texans lost back-to-back games, they sat at
3-7. Since that point to now, the Texans have gone 10-4 (5-2 on the road)
Texans fans are hard on the team, but I really appreciate the owner,
coach, and general manager for putting something special together after
the Casserly/Capers debacle.

whiskeyrbl
11-05-2009, 03:59 AM
Ha.

Be happy that we will never know.

DexmanC
11-05-2009, 04:15 AM
Ha.

Be happy that we will never know.

It's scary to think what Richard Smith would have done with Cushing, and
NOT in a good way! Frank Bush's scheme is a carbon copy of Pete Carroll's
defense at USC. It's part of the reason the kid is able to play without
much practice. The other reason is Demeco Ryans. If you watch the 1st
3 games of the season, you can see Demeco barking orders at Cushing
and Diles on where to line up!

will742
11-05-2009, 02:04 PM
It seems like we've got something special in this kid, but I think the majority of you guys have figured that out by now. :winky:

Dunta's Shoes
11-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Forget DROY, I think Cush has a shot at making the Pro Bowl, which I think is a much bigger honor considering he's a rookie.

Ryan
11-05-2009, 05:00 PM
I hope for the day that we take this news as boring and dull. Like it's no shock to us when he receives these accolades.

Texan_Bill
11-05-2009, 05:01 PM
It's scary to think what Richard Smith would have done with Cushing,

*shivers* :eek:

SteveSlaton20
11-06-2009, 05:31 PM
too bad he didnt win the PROW on nfl.com

but who cares about what the fans thinks?
cushing is a beast.

Air Canada
11-06-2009, 05:41 PM
I don't know if any of you guys mentioned it yet, but the last player to have 2 AFC defensive player of the weeks was Ed Reed and well I think that's good company. If he could be that kind of playmaker at linebacker that Reed has been at safety, then he'll really be something special. :spin:

Porky
11-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Forget DROY, I think Cush has a shot at making the Pro Bowl, which I think is a much bigger honor considering he's a rookie.

Yup, and love the user name! :cow:

Thorn
11-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Crushing rocks. :)

We are starting to build a kick ass defense. And that's what you have to have if you are gonna win playoff games.