PDA

View Full Version : Texans kicked tires on SIX RBs today

DiehardChris
10-20-2009, 08:51 PM
Via PFT (http://www.houstondiehards.com/?p=6538)

One of them is Ryan Torain.

They must not think much of Arian Foster or Chris Henry.

MojoMan
10-20-2009, 09:09 PM

I remember during this last offseason there were a lot of people around here who had our two undrafted free agent backs penciled in as significant contributors. Hopefully, we have learned a lesson here.

It is essential that the Texans take a RB in the next draft with one their first three picks.

CloakNNNdagger
10-20-2009, 09:22 PM

We love injured RB's...............I guess since Ahman Green was snatched up by Green Bay, we have to pick this injured back before they're all gone.:gun:

ObsiWan
10-20-2009, 09:28 PM
I remember during this last offseason there were a lot of people around here who had our two undrafted free agent backs penciled in as significant contributors. Hopefully, we have learned a lesson here.

It is essential that the Texans take a RB in the next draft with one their first three picks.

ummm.... I wouldn't hold my breath
:)

ArlingtonTexan
10-20-2009, 09:33 PM

I agree

signed

Tony Hollings

CloakNNNdagger
10-20-2009, 09:43 PM

Not so. We need not look further than the promising unknowns currently enrolled in the Jonathan Wells School of Dance.:bender:

Big Lou
10-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Not so. We need not look further than the promising unknowns currently enrolled in the Jonathan Wells School of Dance.:bender:

You beat me to a Johnathan Wells reference. Although I liked the guy for some reason, he seemed like a hard worker for some reason....

MojoMan
10-20-2009, 10:18 PM
ummm.... I wouldn't hold my breath
:)

Seriously though. I expect them to do it.

Carr Bombed
10-20-2009, 10:36 PM
I'd rather have them spend the first 3 picks on interior lineman. Houston has to get better upfront, regardless of who's running the ball.

m5kwatts
10-20-2009, 10:49 PM
I'd rather have them spend the first 3 picks on interior lineman. Houston has to get better upfront, regardless of who's running the ball.

Big time agreed, both sides of the ball.

beerlover
10-20-2009, 11:18 PM
there is a surplus of RB's which is a reason this process will continue until roster is set. remember last year Mike Bell came in for one of these? looks like they missed out not keeping him around & another reason they don't draft RB often or high with other pressing needs. sorry Toby :barman:

Brisco_County
10-21-2009, 12:00 AM

What's worth more? A lineman who can open a hole for any of our runners, or a new runner who would try to make something out of nothing?

Chris Brown's YPC last Sunday was the result of a tired defense. Look at our time of possession. If Slaton had stayed in, he would've been burning the field up.

ObsiWan
10-21-2009, 12:11 AM
Actually, we did that last year...

»4/27/2008 -- Selected West Virginia RB Steve Slaton in the third round (89th overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft.

you want us to do it again?

That's why I say "don't hold your breath". We used a "first day" pick to get Slaton just last year. Why would we do so again when (a) Slaton is working out just fine (well apart from the fumbling issue) and (b) there are more pressing needs ...like a real, live space-eating NT
or speedy, ball-hawking FS
or a starting caliber OG to replace Pitts (or at least better quality depth in the O-line)
or two or three more TEs :D j/k

m5kwatts
10-21-2009, 12:16 AM

Its a poor running back draft. You'll be hard pressed to find a quality 2nd back in this draft worth taking a flier on in the first 3 rounds. Its SO much deeper at other positions, no need to reach.

Marcus
10-21-2009, 01:19 AM

It is essential that the Texans take a safety in the next draft with one their first three picks.

It is essential that the Texans take a CB in the next draft with one their first three picks.

It is essential that the Texans take an interior O lineman in the next draft with one their first three picks.

It is essential that the Texans take another DT in the next draft with one their first three picks.

Someone is going to get disappointed. :)

Carr Bombed
10-21-2009, 02:26 AM
It is essential that the Texans take a safety in the next draft with one their first three picks.

It is essential that the Texans take a CB in the next draft with one their first three picks.

It is essential that the Texans take an interior O lineman in the next draft with one their first three picks.

It is essential that the Texans take another DT in the next draft with one their first three picks.

Well if Houston keeps beasting against the run like they have the past 3 weeks you can cross DT off the list. I see this team grabing a CB during round 1 and then grabbing another OL round 2........sorry S and RB fans, this team just doesn't value those positions very high.

Gee those two picks we spent on the TE position (you know...hands down the deepest and most talented positional group going into that draft) sure looks great right now. http://www.soonet.ca/images/smilies/Smile/suicide.gif

steelbtexan
10-21-2009, 02:29 AM
Well if Houston keeps beasting against the run like they have the past 3 weeks you can cross DT off the list. I see this team grabing a CB during round 1 and then grabbing another OL round 2........sorry S and RB fans, this team just doesn't value those positions very high.

This should happen.

Followed by a DT or RB

ObsiWan
10-21-2009, 06:53 AM
Since this has morphed into a draft thread, I'll go out on a limb and say they WILL look for a safety in the first three rounds in this coming draft. That doesn't mean we'll pick on as, like the RB this year, they guy they may be eyeing might be gone when our turn comes up. ...which, hopefully will be one of the last dozen picks.

Back to topic:
Which RB are they looking to replace?? Moats has done well on special teams and looked good in the one chance he got some gametime touches. I wonder why they don't play him more...?

And they seem to reeeally like Brown as the #2 RB....

So who were they looking to replace??
Enquiring minds want to know.
:thinking:

CloakNNNdagger
10-21-2009, 07:08 AM
Two possibilities:

1) Moats recent Turf Toe is worse than reported.

2) Due to his poor run yardage and successfull passing yardage, a feel that a change in role for Slaton may make him more effective.......more of a Reggie Bush role in tandem with an effective between the tackles RB.

Just mulling over possibilities.:thinking:

El Tejano
10-21-2009, 07:28 AM
So did we sign Torain?

Brisco_County
10-21-2009, 07:34 AM
Two possibilities:

1) Moats recent Turf Toe is worse than reported.

2) Due to his poor run yardage and successfull passing yardage, a feel that a change in role for Slaton may make him more effective.......more of a Reggie Bush role in tandem with an effective between the tackles RB.

Just mulling over possibilities.:thinking:

Slaton is a good between the tackles RB. People are quick to forget what he could do last year. The line needs to give him something to work with.

MojoMan
10-21-2009, 08:08 AM

And to add one more to your list:

So, that is five essential picks in the first three rounds. Hmmm.

Someone is going to be disappointed.

However, with regards to the safety, it is not essential that the Texans take one in the first three rounds. Pollard has looked good, and a nice safety can be drafted in rounds 4-6. If the Texans want to draft a safety in in the first three rounds, I will be as excited as anyone about that selection. Besides, while it would be nice to upgrade this position, it is not looking critically weak. Pollard is playing well at SS, and there are a number of guys that are filling in adequately at FS.

Selecting a CB in the first three rounds is essential. In fact, that should be the Texans first round pick as far as I am concerned. Truly effective CB's are few and far between. They tend to go early in the draft, and they cost a lot. This is a position more than probably any other that should always be manned by first round picks, if possible.

Since Antoine Caldwell is poised to inherit the center spot, the interior lineman the Texans need is a guard. It would be very exciting to have a guard drafted that high on the Texans line. But guards are usually drafted later. As excited as I would be to see this happen, it probably is not the best strategic use of the Texans draft picks to select a guard in the first three rounds.

A DT would be great to have with one of the first three picks. I expect to see them do that too. Effective DT's are hard to come by. You can get them later, but you just never know.

Running Backs tend to get injured more than any other position on the team. They are human battering rams. A typical RB is out of the league in less than four years. I am not one of these people who puts an inordinate value on offensive skill players, as about half of the Texans fan base appears to do. But Slaton is not "the" answer at RB. Slaton is a good back, but he is not a great back. I watched Alabama's Mark Ingram run for 246 yards last Saturday. Wow. That is what we need. Slaton is good, but he would still be good as the #2 back. Then we would have a backfield that is ready for the playoffs, the regular season, whatever. I hope Slaton stays healthy. But what if he doesn't? RB's in the NFL frequently don't. The Texans need to add a RB in the first three rounds of the draft this year.

So, I am looking forward to something like this:

1. CB
2. RB
3. DT
4. OG
5. FS

But if the Texans staff wants to lower the RB pick and move up the other ones a notch, I will be excited about that too.

DiehardChris
10-21-2009, 08:26 AM
So did we sign Torain?

No. I think with the RBs, this was just them figuring out who's at the top of their list for when Chris Brown inevitably goes down, or if someone else gets hurt.

If Torain is healthy though, I fully expect him to be a Texan at some point before next season starts.

ATXtexanfan
10-21-2009, 08:32 AM
Indeed, a lot easier to have an average running back run through an open hole than have a great runner dodge defenders in the backfield. Would help pass protection also.

BigBull17
10-21-2009, 08:38 AM
Indeed, a lot easier to have an average running back run through an open hole than have a great runner dodge defenders in the backfield. Would help pass protection also.

Hard to gripe at pass pro. It's been unbelievable this year. In a good way.

MojoMan
10-21-2009, 08:42 AM

That is exactly correct. No question.

Is Chester Pitts expected to return at full strength? Because he was the answer at LG before he went down. Caldwell is the heir apparent at center. Even if Breisel returns, RG was never entirely locked down as far as I could tell. But if Pitts returns, the only open spot on the Texans OL is at RG.

Once again, if the Texans use one of their first three picks on a RG, I will be as excited as anyone. But if a RG is all the Texans need on the OL, then it may not be as high a priority in the draft as some people think.

HOU-TEX
10-21-2009, 08:54 AM
That is exactly correct. No question.

Is Chester Pitts expected to return at full strength? Because he was the answer at LG before he went down. Caldwell is the heir apparent at center. Even if Breisel returns, RG was never entirely locked down as far as I could tell. But if Pitts returns, the only open spot on the Texans OL is at RG.

Once again, if the Texans use one of their first round picks on a RG, I will be as excited as anyone. But if a RG is all the Texans need on the OL, then it may not be as high a priority in the draft as some people think.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a G taken in the 1st round. I wouldn't expect us to take one until the 2nd day. Kubiak basically admitted after this draft he was expecting to take Coffee with our 3rd, but was snatched up before it came our pick.

I'd expect a RB in the 3rd next year. Either CB, DT, S in rounds 1 & 2.

MojoMan
10-21-2009, 08:56 AM
I'm not sure I've ever seen a G taken in the 1st round. I wouldn't expect us to take one until the 2nd day. Kubiak basically admitted after this draft he was expecting to take Coffee with our 3rd, but was snatched up before it came our pick.

I'd expect a RB in the 3rd next year. Either CB, DT, S in rounds 1 & 2.

I meant to say first three picks. Sorry about that.

HOU-TEX
10-21-2009, 08:58 AM
I meant to say first three picks. Sorry about that.

I kinda figured you did. It'd still be interesting to find out if a G was ever taking in the 1st in our lifetime.

JB
10-21-2009, 09:04 AM
I kinda figured you did. It'd still be interesting to find out if a G was ever taking in the 1st in our lifetime.

Quite a few actually. Brandon Alberts being the latest.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/history?year=-1&round=1&position=47

HOU-TEX
10-21-2009, 09:10 AM
Quite a few actually. Brandon Alberts being the latest.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/history?year=-1&round=1&position=47

Albert was drafted as a T, but there are several other G's in your link that prove there have been Gs taken in the 1st round, several actually. Ben Grubbs being the most recent.

Thanks, man

gtexan02
10-21-2009, 09:47 AM
Hopefullly we'll see a few more TEs worth spending high picks on

GP
10-21-2009, 09:54 AM
Hopefullly we'll see a few more TEs worth spending high picks on

I agree.

We should be looking at TE in round 2 or 3 this year. Maybe even in both 2 and 3.

Kubiak has scientists who are morphing all our TEs into one TE who possesses all the strengths of each TE on our roster.

swtbound07
10-21-2009, 12:10 PM
I'd be stunned if we didn't go FS in the first. To say we have adequate play back there is to be hellen kellerish about the situation.

MojoMan
10-21-2009, 12:12 PM
I'd be stunned if we didn't go FS in the first. To say we have adequate play back there is to be hellen kellerish about the situation.

Prepare to be stunned. I am sure it will not be the first time.

badboy
10-21-2009, 01:55 PM
Not so. We need not look further than the promising unknowns currently enrolled in the Jonathan Wells School of Dance.:bender:Yeah, well "looking further" has not work out so well either.

badboy
10-21-2009, 01:59 PM
I'd rather have them spend the first 3 picks on interior lineman. Houston has to get better upfront, regardless of who's running the ball.Let's see, our Oline consists of guys who are pass blockers and our coach wants a running game that sets up the pass. How many Olinemen in this draft can run block and pass block?:thinking:

badboy
10-21-2009, 02:09 PM
What's worth more? A lineman who can open a hole for any of our runners, or a new runner who would try to make something out of nothing?

Chris Brown's YPC last Sunday was the result of a tired defense. Look at our time of possession. If Slaton had stayed in, he would've been burning the field up.Well our 3rd round G/C could not beat out the back up guy until injuries.

TexCanada
10-21-2009, 02:15 PM
While it is fairly easy to see what our needs are, it is a lot more difficult to rank them in terms of importance. Also, we have no idea what pick we will have or who will be available. I would like to see us take the best player available, whether he is a S, DT, CB or OL. As long as we adress one of these each year I will be satisfied.

badboy
10-21-2009, 02:22 PM
And to add one more to your list:

So, that is five essential picks in the first three rounds. Hmmm.

Someone is going to be disappointed.

However, with regards to the safety, it is not essential that the Texans take one in the first three rounds. Pollard has looked good, and a nice safety can be drafted in rounds 4-6. If the Texans want to draft a safety in in the first three rounds, I will be as excited as anyone about that selection. Besides, while it would be nice to upgrade this position, it is not looking critically weak. Pollard is playing well at SS, and there are a number of guys that are filling in adequately at FS.

Selecting a CB in the first three rounds is essential. In fact, that should be the Texans first round pick as far as I am concerned. Truly effective CB's are few and far between. They tend to go early in the draft, and they cost a lot. This is a position more than probably any other that should always be manned by first round picks, if possible.

Since Antoine Caldwell is poised to inherit the center spot, the interior lineman the Texans need is a guard. It would be very exciting to have a guard drafted that high on the Texans line. But guards are usually drafted later. As excited as I would be to see this happen, it probably is not the best strategic use of the Texans draft picks to select a guard in the first three rounds.

A DT would be great to have with one of the first three picks. I expect to see them do that too. Effective DT's are hard to come by. You can get them later, but you just never know.

Running Backs tend to get injured more than any other position on the team. They are human battering rams. A typical RB is out of the league in less than four years. I am not one of these people who puts an inordinate value on offensive skill players, as about half of the Texans fan base appears to do. But Slaton is not "the" answer at RB. Slaton is a good back, but he is not a great back. I watched Alabama's Mark Ingram run for 246 yards last Saturday. Wow. That is what we need. Slaton is good, but he would still be good as the #2 back. Then we would have a backfield that is ready for the playoffs, the regular season, whatever. I hope Slaton stays healthy. But what if he doesn't? RB's in the NFL frequently don't. The Texans need to add a RB in the first three rounds of the draft this year.

So, I am looking forward to something like this:

1. CB
2. RB
3. DT
4. OG
5. FS

But if the Texans staff wants to lower the RB pick and move up the other ones a notch, I will be excited about that too.If the Texans stick with lighter DTs how about in your 3rd drafting Mike Neal Purdue strong man Link has comparison to Zgonia and Neal does a 510lb bench and a 615 squat. 6' 3"302 4.96.

badboy
10-21-2009, 02:27 PM
While it is fairly easy to see what our needs are, it is a lot more difficult to rank them in terms of importance. Also, we have no idea what pick we will have or who will be available. I would like to see us take the best player available, whether he is a S, DT, CB or OL. As long as we adress one of these each year I will be satisfied.How about we turn to the Texan's GM and the coach who identified the last two off seasons the priority need of stopping the run and getting a big back that can move the chains, pick up a first on 3rd and short and score in the red zone? The other two priorities noted was lowering turn overs and getting a DE to take load off Mario. Smith was given a pretty check to do the latter. Seems like Schaub and Slaton did not get the message on reducing T.O.

gtexan02
10-21-2009, 02:31 PM
How about we turn to the Texan's GM and the coach who identified the last two off seasons the priority need of stopping the run and getting a big back that can move the chains, pick up a first on 3rd and short and score in the red zone? The other two priorities noted was lowering turn overs and getting a DE to take load off Mario. Smith was given a pretty check to do the latter. Seems like Schaub and Slaton did not get the message on reducing T.O.

What?? Schaub has 4 INTs and 14 TDs. How did he not get the memo?
His INT/attempt ratio is also down significantly from last year

MojoMan
10-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Well our 3rd round G/C could not beat out the back up guy until injuries.

He is a rookie, and eventually he is probably going to be the Texans starting center for years to come. The staff will usually try to avoid starting a rookie on the OL, unless they are a first rounder like Duane Brown was last year. That is actually true at most positions, with RB being one of the most notable exceptions. So Caldwell is not really behind the curve at all at this point.

John McClain believes Caldwell will permanently take over as a starting guard from Chris White before the end of this season. He mentioned it in his online chat yesterday:

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2009/10/live_chat_at_1130_am_tuesday_1.html

MojoMan
10-21-2009, 03:52 PM
If the Texans stick with lighter DTs how about in your 3rd drafting Mike Neal Purdue strong man Link has comparison to Zgonia and Neal does a 510lb bench and a 615 squat. 6' 3"302 4.96.

Sounds good based on what you have said above. He needs to be able to help collapse the pocket and shut down the run, whoever he is.

badboy
10-21-2009, 04:02 PM
He is a rookie, and eventually he is probably going to be the Texans starting center for years to come. The staff will usually try to avoid starting a rookie on the OL, unless they are a first rounder like Duane Brown was last year. That is actually true at most positions, with RB being one of the most notable exceptions. So Caldwell is not really behind the curve at all at this point.

John McClain believes Caldwell will permanently take over as a starting guard from Chris White before the end of this season. He mentioned it in his online chat yesterday:

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2009/10/live_chat_at_1130_am_tuesday_1.htmlI agree with what I read by McClain, he will be a guard before center unless Myers is hurt. Look, I want Caldwell to do good but the reviews given by some of our fellow posters had him starting day 1. Like it or not he was the 3rd choice at center and guard until Sunday's game.

badboy
10-21-2009, 04:03 PM
Sounds good based on what you have said above. He needs to be able to help collapse the pocket and shut down the run, whoever he is.
I agree but that is why I want a bigger dude.

MojoMan
10-21-2009, 04:11 PM
I agree with what I read by McClain, he will be a guard before center unless Myers is hurt. Look, I want Caldwell to do good but the reviews given by some of our fellow posters had him starting day 1. Like it or not he was the 3rd choice at center and guard until Sunday's game.

Some of our fellow posters tend to get a bit carried away if you ask me. If you were to ask Gary Kubiak about this, and I do believe he has commented on it several times, he would say that it is not desirable to start rookies right away.

I am sorry to contradict some of our fellow posters, but I agree with that completely. Unless the player is a first round pick, or you have some sort of critical weakness that you have no other answer for, it is better to bring them along during their rookie year. If the player can win the position during that time, then super.

Hopefully, that is what we are seeing Caldwell in the process of doing right now. If Caldwell wins a starting job on the Texans OL this season, and starts the last four games of the year, he will have completely fulfilled any reasonable expectations of him in my book.

Big Lou
10-21-2009, 07:34 PM
[/B]
I agree but that is why I want a bigger dude.

A big OL would be great, but I don't see it happening with the ZBS.

ObsiWan
10-22-2009, 01:28 AM

Do you mean EVER or just by the Texans?

...because one our coaches is a dude named Matthews that I think was taken in the first round - #9 overall pick actually. That worked out rather nicely as I recall.

CloakNNNdagger
10-22-2009, 08:20 AM

...because one our coaches is a dude named Matthews that I think was taken in the first round - #9 overall pick actually. That worked out rather nicely as I recall.

Kendall Simmons was a Steelers 1st round guard. I believe he just joined the Pats.

steelbtexan
10-22-2009, 09:15 AM
John Hannah,Mike Munchak and Bruce Matthews were all drafted as guards in the 1st rd.

HOU-TEX
10-22-2009, 09:28 AM

Easy, man. I've got the memory of a bowl of Jello. Which is why I've written down every draft pick for the past couple years. I didn't have the lists with me at the time. Gimme a break. :winky:

badboy
10-22-2009, 04:00 PM
A big OL would be great, but I don't see it happening with the ZBS.Just to clarify the post you quote is discussing DT. I agree with you on ZBS and big guard.However on my board I have THomas Austin as my center Clemson OG/C/T 6'3" 310 5.16 speed with "good feet that sets up like an anchor." Most want him at guard, but I have Caldwell winding up at right guard and in my 5th Eric Olsen Notre Dame C/G/T 6'4" 305 5.26 as eventual replacement for Pitts. Olsen moved to center this year after 12 starts 2008 as LG. May go high as 4th round though.