PDA

View Full Version : Austin Fox Not showing Texans 49ers?

atxlaurie
10-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Just checked the schedule. Shows FOX televising Steelers, not Texans. Anybody know anything about this?

NitroGSXR
10-19-2009, 07:16 PM
This is the only game that I expected Austin not to be showing the Texans. I know we have another FOX game but I think that is the one that does not conflict with the Cowgirls. We'll get confirmation from some of the other better informed Austinites on the board.

Now's a good time to start planning the Austin party. Unfortunately, I won't be making it this time around.

atxlaurie
10-19-2009, 07:20 PM
This is the only game that I expected Austin not to be showing the Texans. I know we have another FOX game but I think that is the one that does not conflict with the Cowgirls. We'll get confirmation from some of the other better informed Austinites on the board.

Now's a good time to start planning the Austin party. Unfortunately, I won't be making it this time around.

Looks like its time to email and make phone calls. Thanks Fox...

NitroGSXR
10-19-2009, 07:22 PM
Looks like its time to email and make phone calls. Thanks Fox...

I don't really think that's on them. Austin's always been a big Cowgirl town. A bit different from the whole Vince Young/KEYE debacle. They're giving the masses what they want and rightfully so.

Rasputin
10-19-2009, 07:29 PM
It's not a conflict with the Cowboys. Schedule shows Vikings-Steelers at 12:00 and Cowgirls-Falcons at 3:00

Not that it will do any good, I'm emailing and calling to express my frustration
I hate having to ***** and beg to get the local team on local TV.

DiehardChris
10-19-2009, 07:29 PM

We will most definitely NOT be seeing the Dec 13th game against the Seahawks. It's a FOX game, and they do not have the doubleheader. The Cowboys will be on in Austin that week.

I assume this week's game is just a question of FOX not switching the guide over yet. I doubt they'll show game of the week over the Texans. We will have to make plans for Dec 13 though. All other games should be on in Austin.

More info here (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1223003&postcount=12)

DiehardChris
10-19-2009, 07:30 PM
By the way - if you guys find a good email for programming at the local Fox affiliate, let me know and all of us that have twitter/blogs/facebook etc will get the word out and get some emails sent. So far I can't find a good email for the programming dept.

NitroGSXR
10-19-2009, 07:31 PM
We will most definitely NOT be seeing the Dec 13th game against the Seahawks. It's a FOX game, and they do not have the doubleheader. The Cowboys will be on in Austin that week.

I assume this week's game is just a question of FOX not switching the guide over yet. I doubt they'll show game of the week over the Texans. We will have to make plans for Dec 13 though. All other games should be on in Austin.

More info here (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1223003&postcount=12)

Thanks!

I knew it was one or the other. I figgured this weekend but it'll be the next. I'm sure this one will be on TV after the Texans performances. We're making some noise.

HTown2ATX
10-19-2009, 07:32 PM
What an effing joke!

On the bright side, I just scored my first pair of Texans tix in over a year with a parking pass, so I'll be there!!!

Seriously though.....the TV markets here in regards to Houston (only 230 or so miles away) are seriously a joke!

:headhurts:

NitroGSXR
10-19-2009, 07:35 PM
What an effing joke!

On the bright side, I just scored my first pair of Texans tix in over a year with a parking pass, so I'll be there!!!

Seriously though.....the TV markets here in regards to Houston (only 230 or so miles away) are seriously a joke!

:headhurts:

Dallas isn't even 230 miles away from Houston! I drive back and forth on a regular basis. It's about 166 miles.

Hardcore Texan
10-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Well, it looks like I will be at Pluckers in RR.

DiehardChris
10-19-2009, 07:45 PM
Here we go - the email address for programming at the Austin FOX affiliate:

programming@fox7.com

Let'er rip! If it doesn't work, I'll see you guys somewhere in Austin on Sunday.

LonerATO
10-19-2009, 08:07 PM
Sidenote. How is the Tilted Kilt in RR?

Khari
10-19-2009, 08:20 PM
direct tv better damn well be showing it!

BigWig
10-20-2009, 08:42 AM
direct tv better damn well be showing it!

They always do if its not on locally!

Texan_Bill
10-20-2009, 08:55 AM
DirecTV channel 709 @ noon. Locally, Fox.

ChampionTexan
10-20-2009, 09:12 AM
Dallas isn't even 230 miles away from Houston! I drive back and forth on a regular basis. It's about 166 miles.

Two big cities, and it depends a lot on where you start from and end at, but downtown Houston to downtown Dallas is almost exactly 240 miles.

166 miles works gets you from Conroe to Ennis.

NitroGSXR
10-20-2009, 10:08 AM
Two big cities, and it depends a lot on where you start from and end at, but downtown Houston to downtown Dallas is almost exactly 240 miles.

Dude, I live in Pflugerville and I make the trek to Pasadena on a weekly basis. Both are on the outskirts in the WRONG directions of their downtowns. It's 166 miles from Pflugerville to Reliant Stadium. Mapquest says 172 miles from Pflugerville to PASADENA (which is where I usually go). A far cry from the 230+ miles as originally stated.

ChampionTexan
10-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Dude, I live in Pflugerville and I make the trek to Pasadena on a weekly basis. Both are on the outskirts in the WRONG directions of their downtowns. It's 166 miles from Pflugerville to Reliant Stadium. Mapquest says 172 miles from Pflugerville to PASADENA (which is where I usually go). A far cry from the 230+ miles as originally stated.

You're talking Austin, and I'm talking Dallas. One of us is confused, and I think it's me.

WWJD
10-20-2009, 10:41 AM

Houston to Dallas is over 200 miles. 225 maybe? You're right.

Showtime100
10-20-2009, 10:50 AM

programming@fox7.com

Let'er rip! If it doesn't work, I'll see you guys somewhere in Austin on Sunday.

Thanks. I'll let 'er rip. I'll be at the game, but that doesn't mean I can't personally ***** since it is still a problem for me as an Austinite Texan.

Hardcore Texan
10-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Sidenote. How is the Tilted Kilt in RR?

I have never been on gameday so I don't know what kind of specials they run or how packed it gets. They have a huge tv but it's rear projection so not the best picture, but a decent amount of flatscreens around. They have tons of beer on draft, and the "scenery" is very nice.

That being said, I will be at ole faithful, Pluckers.

NitroGSXR
10-20-2009, 10:59 AM
You're talking Austin, and I'm talking Dallas. One of us is confused, and I think it's me.

Sorry for the confusion, my friend!

Rep for... well... just because!

Hardcore Texan
10-20-2009, 10:59 AM

programming@fox7.com

I emailed them and sent out my email to a group of people and asked them to email them too.

Texan_Bill
10-20-2009, 11:29 AM
*ahem* According to Rand McNally's mileage Calculator, it is 239 miles from Houston to Dallas.

Get Mileage > Mileage Results

Driving Distance: 239 miles

Driving Time: 3 hours, 48 minutes

http://www.randmcnally.com/rmc/directions/dirGetMileage.jsp?cmty=0

eriadoc
10-20-2009, 11:30 AM
*ahem* According to Rand McNally's mileage Calculator, it is 239 miles from Houston to Dallas.

Still too close.

Texan_Bill
10-20-2009, 11:51 AM
Still too close.

:spit: No doubt!!

hookinreds
10-20-2009, 11:53 AM
I have never been on gameday so I don't know what kind of specials they run or how packed it gets. They have a huge tv but it's rear projection so not the best picture, but a decent amount of flatscreens around. They have tons of beer on draft, and the "scenery" is very nice.

That being said, I will be at ole faithful, Pluckers.

See you there. I'll be a little rough around the edges as I'll be driving in after being gone for 3 days at an out of town Chili Cookoff.

DiehardChris
10-20-2009, 11:54 AM
I emailed them and sent out my email to a group of people and asked them to email them too.

Awesome! Can someone rep Hardcore Texan for me?

DiehardChris
10-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Thanks. I'll let 'er rip. I'll be at the game, but that doesn't mean I can't personally ***** since it is still a problem for me as an Austinite Texan.

Thanks and I rep'd you accordingly.

Showtime100
10-20-2009, 11:56 AM

Done. We need all the help we can get!

NitroGSXR
10-20-2009, 12:10 PM

Done!

Mailman
10-20-2009, 12:17 PM
Email composed and sent.

F'n Austin. Whatever happened to Keep it Local?

Hardcore Texan
10-20-2009, 02:49 PM
See you there. I'll be a little rough around the edges as I'll be driving in after being gone for 3 days at an out of town Chili Cookoff.

I will either be there with my buddy/neighbor or my wife or just me, not sure yet. I will try and get a seat at the usual spot.

DiehardChris
10-20-2009, 03:15 PM
I will either be there with my buddy/neighbor or my wife or just me, not sure yet. I will try and get a seat at the usual spot.

How's the seating for Texans games at RR Pluckers? Plenty of room? Also, do they usually have the audio up for the Texans?

hookinreds
10-20-2009, 03:24 PM
How's the seating for Texans games at RR Pluckers? Plenty of room? Also, do they usually have the audio up for the Texans?

Lots of seating if you get there by 11:30. We are outside on the patio/bar. They have the Texans and Ravens games the two 50" tvs of one wall of the bar. Sound is on for the Ravens right there (an office staff member is a Raven fan), then there is the patio part of the outside bar that has another TV (1 of 3 50" on the wall) with the Texans game, and the audio is on for that as well. The patio has regular tables/chairs, the bar area has raised tables/chairs. There are about 11 TVs in the outside area.

This week however, the Ravens and Cowboys both play the late game so it shouldn't be any conflicts with sound...Cowboys audio is usually on inside.

Hardcore Texan
10-20-2009, 03:37 PM
Lots of seating if you get there by 11:30. We are outside on the patio/bar. They have the Texans and Ravens games the two 50" tvs of one wall of the bar. Sound is on for the Ravens right there (an office staff member is a Raven fan), then there is the patio part of the outside bar that has another TV (1 of 3 50" on the wall) with the Texans game, and the audio is on for that as well. The patio has regular tables/chairs, the bar area has raised tables/chairs. There are about 11 TVs in the outside area.

This week however, the Ravens and Cowboys both play the late game so it shouldn't be any conflicts with sound...Cowboys audio is usually on inside.

Hookinreds covered it better than I could, I don't get up there as much as you for the games.

When did they start playing the Ravens sound over the Texans sound? I might have to raise a little hell about that one. Or is it because those Ravens fans are always there?

NitroGSXR
10-20-2009, 03:42 PM
Hookinreds covered it better than I could, I don't get up there as much as you for the games.

When did they start playing the Ravens sound over the Texans sound? I might have to raise a little hell about that one. Or is it because those Ravens fans are always there?

Read Hookinred's post again. He states why they sound the Ravens games. Raise hell all you want but I think we'll lose that battle.

:aggressive:

hookinreds
10-20-2009, 03:47 PM

Dennis is the kitchen manager now, so he's not out on the bar unless he's off. The office employee has about 4 others that are on the right end of the bar every week with the game on the right TV with sound, and the Texans on the left TV, then on the patio the Texans are always on the left of the three TVs and the sound for the Texans is on out there. I really don't care if the sound is on or not, but they have told me everyweek that the Texans will be on and have the sound on. The GM was there a couple of weeks ago and he's a big Bears fan and had the Austin Bears fans all out on the patio part when I got there at 11:15, but he made sure we had the Texans on at the outside bar.

Hardcore Texan
10-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Dennis is the kitchen manager now, so he's not out on the bar unless he's off. The office employee has about 4 others that are on the right end of the bar every week with the game on the right TV with sound, and the Texans on the left TV, then on the patio the Texans are always on the left of the three TVs and the sound for the Texans is on out there. I really don't care if the sound is on or not, but they have told me everyweek that the Texans will be on and have the sound on. The GM was there a couple of weeks ago and he's a big Bears fan and had the Austin Bears fans all out on the patio part when I got there at 11:15, but he made sure we had the Texans on at the outside bar.

So it sounds like they are playing Ravens with sound and Texans with sound both on the outside patio? That's the part I am confused about. Oh, I think I get what you are saying, sound right at the outside bar is on for the Ravens, and over to the right of the bar in where that retractable roof thing is is where the Texans sound is?

GM's name is Todd. Dennis is actually training for the same type of job but has to work as kitchen manager, floor manager, and bar manager all first.

Hardcore Texan
10-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Read Hookinred's post again. He states why they sound the Ravens games. Raise hell all you want but I think we'll lose that battle.

:aggressive:

I just didn't understand what he meant, I think I got it now.

It's all good, I know most of the people that work there, and most of the managers, they are all pretty cool, I wouldn't raise too much of a stink, just give them a hard time and see if they change it (that's why I said a little hell), I can live with the sound off for the game, although I prefer to have it if possible. They try to accomodate everybody's needs but it can get crazy on game day sometimes, so I am very understanding and easy to please :)

Rasputin
10-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Has anyone gotten any reply from Fox7 programming staff??

Hardcore Texan
10-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Has anyone gotten any reply from Fox7 programming staff??

Not yet.

hookinreds
10-20-2009, 04:14 PM
So it sounds like they are playing Ravens with sound and Texans with sound both on the outside patio? That's the part I am confused about. Oh, I think I get what you are saying, sound right at the outside bar is on for the Ravens, and over to the right of the bar in where that retractable roof thing is is where the Texans sound is?

GM's name is Todd. Dennis is actually training for the same type of job but has to work as kitchen manager, floor manager, and bar manager all first.

BINGO!

Been a good crowd of fans from all teams, with a handful of Texans fans. Vikings, Giants, Bengals, Eagles, Broncos, Steelers, Patriots, Cowboys and Ravens have the multiple fans there typically. I haven't pulled a double header yet this year, but it's been filled for the late games too.

hookinreds
10-20-2009, 04:18 PM

It's all good, I know most of the people that work there, and most of the managers, they are all pretty cool, I wouldn't raise too much of a stink, just give them a hard time and see if they change it (that's why I said a little hell), I can live with the sound off for the game, although I prefer to have it if possible. They try to accomodate everybody's needs but it can get crazy on game day sometimes, so I am very understanding and easy to please :)

Yea...they have all been great...Todd the GM said that he would always have the Texans game on out there, even if he has his Bears crowd back. I don't know the other managers names but every week, they always look over at me to make sure the TV autoswitches over to the Texans game.

NitroGSXR
10-20-2009, 04:23 PM

Ah. Gotcha! Understood!

Easy solution... if there's ever no sound? Get them to switch on the closed captioning and you'll be set!

Mailman
10-20-2009, 04:53 PM
If Fox7 doesn't air the game and I don't go to Houston this weekend, I may drive all the way from my house in Central Austin up to Round Rock to watch it there. If I do, I'll be sure to make a phone call to my buddy to tell him to make a phone call to make sure the sound is on for the Texans game. He's not the kitchen manager or the GM, but... he's their boss. I'm not sayin' I'm just sayin.

hookinreds
10-20-2009, 05:02 PM
If Fox7 doesn't air the game and I don't go to Houston this weekend, I may drive all the way from my house in Central Austin up to Round Rock to watch it there. If I do, I'll be sure to make a phone call to my buddy to tell him to make a phone call to make sure the sound is on for the Texans game. He's not the kitchen manager or the GM, but... he's their boss. I'm not sayin' I'm just sayin.

Well, we'd sure keep a light on for ya. When you do talk to your buddy, let him know that they have been awesome in regard to the Texans every week for the last two years that I've been there.

Hardcore Texan
10-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Well, we'd sure keep a light on for ya. When you do talk to your buddy, let him know that they have been awesome in regard to the Texans every week for the last two years that I've been there.

Co-signed. They have done a great job supporting Texans fans, and all fans for that matter. They get a LOT of my business. :barman:

DiehardChris
10-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Well, sign me up for RR Pluckers on Sunday if Fox doesn't air the game. I'd like to say I'd come either way - but I bought this darn Sony Bravia HD TV for the express purpose of watching the Texans!

It will be cool to meet you guys if we never met at 3rd Base.

DiehardChris
10-21-2009, 12:20 AM
Here's something I didn't think about. Even if they do switch the feed to the Texans game, there's a Cowboys game at 3, and Fox in Austin is obligated to go to the Cowboys game regardless of what's going on with the noon game, so I'd rather not take the chance and just go to Pluckers RR because I would lose my mind and punch something if they cut away at the end of the game with the game on the line.

imatexan
10-21-2009, 01:00 AM
Lets hope this doesnt start happening again!

Thank goodness I am going to the game Sunday, hopefully the Texans will show them what they are missing out on!

DiehardChris
10-21-2009, 01:31 AM
Lets hope this doesnt start happening again!

Thank goodness I am going to the game Sunday, hopefully the Texans will show them what they are missing out on!

It won't. It's just a weird situation because it's a Fox game instead of a CBS game. KEYE is showing all the Texans games that they can this year, which is all of them except for this one against SF (Fox), the one against SEA on Dec 13 (Fox), and the MNF game (ESPN).

We'll see all the games in Austin this year except this one coming up and the one against SEA.

SteveSlaton20
10-21-2009, 01:43 AM
huh, didnt realized that we were gonna be on Fox.

DiehardChris
10-21-2009, 09:19 AM
huh, didnt realized that we were gonna be on Fox.

Yep, unless they're SNF or MNF games, the short version is that...

AFC @ AFC = always on CBS
AFC @ NFC = always on CBS

NFC @ NFC = always on Fox
NFC @ AFC = always on Fox

Showtime100
10-21-2009, 09:27 AM
Just got done with my now-daily e-mail to FOX 7. So far no response.

BTW, I would be interested in what they tell you guys so if you could, please post any response you get. :)

Mailman
10-21-2009, 12:59 PM
I haven't received a response yet either. I may call their programming department later today to inquire further.

nunusguy
10-21-2009, 01:22 PM
I dunno, don't the Texans get any cred with the Austin station for starting
Studdard ?

El Tejano
10-21-2009, 01:32 PM
I dunno, don't the Texans get any cred with the Austin station for starting
Studdard ?

....and Okam?

nunusguy
10-21-2009, 02:16 PM
....and Okam?
Okams not a starter.

Hardcore Texan
10-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Okams not a starter.

He started in the Cincy game.

DiehardChris
10-21-2009, 06:36 PM
He started in the Cincy game.

They said he was going to start, but he didn't. Zgonina started and Okam barely saw the field.

DiehardChris
10-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Anyway - it doesn't matter if they show the game because they WILL cut away (because they are REQUIRED to do so) to the Cowboys at 3 regardless of what's going on in the Texans game. I do NOT want to take that chance because I would lose it if they cut away right before the game-deciding play.

DiehardChris
10-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Okay, I got a response.

I actually sent an email to sports@fox7.com and got an almost immediate response.

I still recommend you all send emails to that address just to show your displeasure, but here is the response:

Our corporate programming people make that decision but i'm guessing they find it hard to pass up 6-0 brett favre against the defending super bowl champs.
houston is 3-3.
we are obligated to take cowboys game at 3 since we are considered part of the Dallas NFL market so whatever game we carry early we have to leave it for the cowboys kickoff.
suggest you head to third base sports bar.
If you want to file a formal complaint send it to programming@fox7.com

Brett Freaking Favre. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

gary
10-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Poor Austin Texan fans this makes me really feel for all of you. I might just shoot them an e-mail on be half of all of you. They don't have to know where I live.

Hardcore Texan
10-21-2009, 07:28 PM
They said he was going to start, but he didn't. Zgonina started and Okam barely saw the field.

I saw them introduce him in the lineup thing they do but didn't realize they were wrong. I haven't re-watched it yet, I usually watch it live just paying attention to action and then re-watch and zero in on specific players. This season I have been so busy I have not did the 2nd go round that often.

Anyway - it doesn't matter if they show the game because they WILL cut away (because they are REQUIRED to do so) to the Cowboys at 3 regardless of what's going on in the Texans game. I do NOT want to take that chance because I would lose it if they cut away right before the game-deciding play.

Kick off is at 3:15 though right? But I get what you're saying, the games often go past that mark too. It's all for nothing though, the Brett Favre show must be seen :brickwall:

DiehardChris
10-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Actually I was paying special attention at the beginning of the game because I was very skeptical that Okam would actually start. Zgonina was in fact in for the first play, and most of the game. I wonder why they said Okam would start? Or I wonder if someone assumed and the rest of the media ran with it?

Showtime100
10-21-2009, 07:50 PM
Poor Austin Texan fans this makes me really feel for all of you. I might just shoot them an e-mail on be half of all of you. They don't have to know where I live.

Go get 'em Gary!

gary
10-21-2009, 07:56 PM
Go get 'em Gary!I think I will tomorrow when I get home from school.

DiehardChris
10-21-2009, 07:58 PM
I think I will tomorrow when I get home from school.

Please do. Thanks for your support in this, Gary. I suggest you send it to sports@fox7.com since they are the only ones that have replied at this point. I think the other address was just a catch-all that doesn't get checked often or quickly enough.

gary
10-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Please do. Thanks for your support in this, Gary. I suggest you send it to sports@fox7.com since they are the only ones that have replied at this point. I think the other address was just a catch-all that doesn't get checked often or quickly enough.You got it.

Hookem Horns
10-21-2009, 11:36 PM
we are obligated to take cowboys game at 3 since we are considered part of the Dallas NFL market so whatever game we carry early we have to leave it for the cowboys kickoff.

Uhmmm, actually Austin is closer to Houston than Dallas. Shouldn't Houston be considered part of the Houston NFL market? We are considered part of the Astros market, why not the Texans?

DiehardChris
10-21-2009, 11:40 PM
Uhmmm, actually Austin is closer to Houston than Dallas. Shouldn't Houston be considered part of the Houston NFL market? We are considered part of the Astros market, why not the Texans?

Because Fox Austin only carries 2 Texans games a year, whereas they carry a ton of Cowboy games every year. Geographically, it doesn't make sense, but that's how it is.

...and of course it has a lot to do with the fact that the Texans and Rangers have been perennial losers.

Hookem Horns
10-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Because Fox Austin only carries 2 Texans games a year, whereas they carry a ton of Cowboy games every year. Geographically, it doesn't make sense, but that's how it is.

...and of course it has a lot to do with the fact that the Texans and Rangers have been perennial losers.

So if geography doesn't matter and it's all about who are winners, then why are we stuck watching the Cowboys and Astros? Why not just have Austin be a Steelers, Phillies, Penguins, Lakers market this season? (Sarcasm of course)

ATRAIN
10-23-2009, 08:39 AM
If my buddy doesnt come into town I think Ill head out to pluckers Round Rock. Someone save me a seat.

dinkatoid
10-23-2009, 07:20 PM
I am new here (judging by my whole 3 posts including this one) but it looks like I got here just in the nick of time. Once I found out the Texans game was not on TV, I thought I was going to have to scramble to find a place to watch it, but it sounds like you guys have secured some good spots. I will probably be out to join the Round Rock Pluckers crew.

How many people normally show up for you guys?

Showtime100
10-23-2009, 07:44 PM
I am new here (judging by my whole 3 posts including this one) but it looks like I got here just in the nick of time. Once I found out the Texans game was not on TV, I thought I was going to have to scramble to find a place to watch it, but it sounds like you guys have secured some good spots. I will probably be out to join the Round Rock Pluckers crew.

How many people normally show up for you guys?

If you still want to watch at home, click this for some good news. (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1283351#post1283351)

Welcome to the board. Dig the board name. :photos:

dinkatoid
10-23-2009, 07:47 PM
Yeah, I read that just after I posted. I am not sure what I am going to do now. I am sure at some point in the season I will come out and get to meet everyone, but now I can see what is actually happening Sunday before I make that call :D

Hardcore Texan
10-24-2009, 10:29 AM
I was looking forward to watching the game at Pluckers but now that Fox is showing the game I will watching at home. Got to save money where I can.

dinkatoid
10-24-2009, 01:08 PM
There is always the Seattle game!