PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles, Are You Ready For Some NFL Football?

Double Barrel
10-19-2009, 06:51 PM
Los Angeles, Are You Ready For Some NFL Football? (http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local-beat/Los-Angeles-Are-You-Ready-For-Some-Football-64701932.html)

Gov. Schwarzenegger wants some football and jobs

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said he's going to sign an environmental exemption bill that will clear the way for construction of the LA Stadium.

State senators approved the bill, which would nullify a lawsuit over the project's environmental impact report by citizens in neighboring Walnut. Schwarzenegger is expected to sign the bill in support of the stadium because its impact on the local economy and its ability to generate jobs.

There will be more than 6,700 new jobs created because of the stadium, causing an addition $21 million in new tax revenue and $762 million in new economic activity, said LA Stadium spokesperson.

Schwarzenegger hopes developer Majestic Realty Co., the driving company behind the project, doesn't poach any California teams to play in the proposed venue. They have indicated their plan to approach seven teams in hopes of luring one to LA. The list includes the three California teams: San Diego Chargers, Oakland Raiders and the San Francisco 49ers.

Many residents hope to see quality professional football played in LA in the next couple of years, which just might narrow down the list of seven potentials and maybe even make the governor happy.

The NFL has always had an "I'll be back" attitude since leaving L.A., so it's only fitting that the Governator helps push it through.

Dan B.
10-19-2009, 06:55 PM
If it is one of the Cali teams, how does it help California to build a Stadium for a team that moves within the state?

jaayteetx
10-19-2009, 07:19 PM
If it is one of the Cali teams, how does it help California to build a Stadium for a team that moves within the state?

Don't be bringing no common sense in here mister.

RagingBull
10-19-2009, 10:28 PM
My money is on the Jags, Bills, or Rams.

GuerillaBlack
10-20-2009, 01:28 AM
Jags move.

ChampionTexan
10-20-2009, 01:44 AM
My money is on the Jags, Bills, or Rams.

It won't be the Rams - at least not for a while. They're bound by their stadium lease until at least the 2014 season, and the lease requires specific performance, meaning they can't just walk away and continue to pay the lease (or have another city pick up the rent as part of the deal). After 2014, they can walk on the lease if the Edward Jones Dome isn't considered one of the 8 best facilities in the league. I don't know how that ranking is determined, but unless they put a boatload of money in it - not one penny of which would come from the Rams - it's a pretty good bet it won't be in the top half.

They may be available free and clear in another 5 1/2 years, but I don't think that really fits in the timetable the current effort to land a LA team is envisioning.

Kulluminatii
10-20-2009, 01:46 AM
Jags are looking more and more likely to be the team to move to LA. :brickwall:

ensign_lee
10-20-2009, 02:18 AM
Jags are looking more and more likely to be the team to move to LA. :brickwall:

Why is that a bad thing?

I wouldn't mind the Texans/Jags rivalry receiving some more national attention.

imatexan
10-20-2009, 03:13 AM
Woo good news!

It has to be the jags! Did you see the attendance at the last home game, it was PATHETIC as all the games this season have been attendance wise for the Jags. Its not even that they are bad, fans just dont show.

L.A.!

Kulluminatii
10-20-2009, 04:09 AM
Why is that a bad thing?

I wouldn't mind the Texans/Jags rivalry receiving some more national attention.

still hoping that the Raiders go to L.A.:spin:

Mr. White
10-20-2009, 09:49 AM
Seems to me like the Chargers are the most natural fit. They're already rooting for them anyway in LA. They're also pissed about not getting a new stadium and LA wants to build a new stadium.

Not to mention, they have history in LA. That's gotta count for something.

GuerillaBlack
10-20-2009, 10:06 AM
There are more Raider fans in LA than Charger fans.

Ranger Tom
10-20-2009, 01:31 PM
The Jaguars seem like the most likely team to be moved. But if they go to L.A., would the league realign the divisions? It would be perfectly reasonable to shift the L.A. Jaguars to the West division and the Chiefs to the South. That's the end of that rivalry, but we'll still have the Titans.

jaayteetx
10-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Big Texan fan that lives that way right, I believe Hollywoodtexan? Bet he'd be happy if the jags moved there.

Second Honeymoon
10-20-2009, 01:53 PM
The Rams would be a nice fit and the timing couldn't be better. The Rams have a clause in 2012 that if their stadium wasn't rated as a Top 8 stadium, they could opt out of their lease and leave St. Louis at no penalty.

The stadium hasn't been Top 8 for 4 years running. What is happening now is a local St.Louis ownership group (sans Rush Limbaugh now) is attempting to buy the Rams from Georgia Frontierie's family to keep them in St.Louis.

The dome they built in the 90s is a good football venue but everyone wants a new stadium and any current or new ownership group would either get a totally refabbed Dome or they would build a totally new facility. As someone who was born in the great city of St.Louis (but fortunate enough to be raised in the great State of Texas) The problem is Missouri and Illinois are already over-taxed and districts and counties are notoriously corrupt and are unwilling to work with each other for a common goal (stadium). The city wants the county to pay, the county wants the city to pay. Similar to Houston is to be honest just not as much corruption and red tape.

http://www.ksdk.com/sports/story.aspx?storyid=176695&catid=6

Dan B.
10-20-2009, 01:57 PM
The Jaguars seem like the most likely team to be moved. But if they go to L.A., would the league realign the divisions? It would be perfectly reasonable to shift the L.A. Jaguars to the West division and the Chiefs to the South. That's the end of that rivalry, but we'll still have the Titans.

I'd think they would more likely move the Rams to the AFC South and put LA in the NFC West. KC has some longstanding rivals in Oakland and Denver and I don't see them taking that away. The Rams are newer and are not too far from Nashville or Indianapolis.

Texecutioner
10-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Count me in as a guy that doesn't ever want to see another football team in LA. The media is already all over teams like the Yankees, the Lakers, the Knicks, the Cowboys, and the Giants.

It gets tiresome when you get so much over coverage of one team in any sport. I do think that each league likes it when the NY and LA teams are on top, and that worries me from time to time when it comes officiating after that ordeal with Donahuey in the NBA.

I'm sure they'll get a team in the next 5 or 6 years or so. I just hope that it isn't the Jags, because I don't want the Texans in the same division as an LA team. If it does end up being the Jags, I hope that they redo some of the divisions.

Second Honeymoon
10-20-2009, 02:03 PM

Chiefs want to stay in the AFC West.

How about this scenario. Rams move to LA. St.Louis ownership group buys Jaguars and moves Jaguars to St.Louis into a new outdoor stadium and changes jerseys and gets a new logo (ala Texans after Oilers). Jacksonville gets nothing.

No changes needed to alignment and you would have St.Louis Jaguars, Texans, Colts, and Titans in the AFC South. Piece of cake.

I don't want 33 or 34 teams. 32 is perfect.

infantrycak
10-20-2009, 02:29 PM
There are more Raider fans in LA than Charger fans.

Yup. Heck there are more Cowboys fans in LA than Charger fans.

LonerATO
10-20-2009, 02:56 PM
I would love to see redivision of all the teams and make it closer to regional rivals

kastofsna
10-20-2009, 03:29 PM
I would love to see redivision of all the teams and make it closer to regional rivals

yeah, Miami should be in the AFC South and the Colts should be in the AFC East, if we go just by regions. i'd hate to see the rivalry with the Patriots and Jets go away, though. and i still miss the games against the Colts, although thankfully they moved out of our division just as Manning started getting in the zone. not that it mattered, of course

Second Honeymoon
10-20-2009, 03:42 PM

AFC North - Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Cincinatti
NFC North - Packers, Vikings, Bears, Lions

AFC NorthEast - Jets, Giants, Bills, Patriots
NFC SouthEast - Miami, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Atlanta

AFC Southwest - Houston, New Orleans, Dallas, Arizona
NFC East - Carolina, Washington, Indianapolis, Baltimore

AFC West - LA (from JVille), San Diego, Raiders, 49ers
NFC West - St.Louis, Kansas City, Denver, Seahawks

it sure would mix it up..inspires regional matchups..only blacksheep is Seahawks are kinda remote

more than a few teams switch conferences but regional ties are the basis.

some brutal divisions there including the Texans in the AFC SW. Giants and Patriots in same division is pretty brutal. As for the Texans, Dallas isn't that good but for Dallas to be the worst team in your division would pretty much suck. would be as tough as the AFC South has been since Manning came around. It would probably be 1. NO 2. Arizona 3. Texans 4. Dallas

El Tejano
10-20-2009, 04:04 PM
So let me ask. If we gained a 33rd Franchise would it end up realigning the divisions and thus changing the playoff race to how it used to be in the old AFC Central days? If so, I'm all for it because it becomes easier to get to the playoffs.

Double Barrel
10-20-2009, 04:40 PM
My own take:

Get rid of conferences.

Playoffs should be the 8 division winners (so divisions are still valid), and four wildcard spots. Top four division winners - by record - get a bye week. This would eliminate an 11-5 team in one conference missing the playoffs while a 9-7 team takes a wildcard spot in the other conference.

The Super Bowl would then be the two best teams at the end of the playoffs, instead of the rather convoluted system we have now which often produces the best teams in the Conference championship games.

JMO :cowboy1:

LonerATO
10-20-2009, 05:47 PM
AFC North - Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Cincinatti

AFC NorthEast - Jets, Giants, Bills, Patriots
NFC SouthEast - Miami, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Atlanta

AFC Southwest - Houston, New Orleans, Dallas, Arizona
NFC East - Carolina, Washington, Indianapolis, Baltimore

AFC West - LA (from JVille), San Diego, Raiders, 49ers
NFC West - St.Louis, Kansas City, Denver, Seahawks

it sure would mix it up..inspires regional matchups..only blacksheep is Seahawks are kinda remote

more than a few teams switch conferences but regional ties are the basis.

some brutal divisions there including the Texans in the AFC SW. Giants and Patriots in same division is pretty brutal. As for the Texans, Dallas isn't that good but for Dallas to be the worst team in your division would pretty much suck. would be as tough as the AFC South has been since Manning came around. It would probably be 1. NO 2. Arizona 3. Texans 4. Dallas

I would go

AFC North - Pittsburgh, Indy, Cleveland, Cincinatti

AFC East - NYJ, Ravens, Bills, Patriots
NFC East - NYG, Washington, Philly, Panthers

AFC South - Houston, Miami, Jags, Titans
NFC South - Falcons, Cowboys, Saints, Buccs

AFC West - Chargers, KC, Raiders, Denver
NFC West - St.Louis, Rams (LA or St.), Cards., Seahawks

Ranger Tom
10-22-2009, 06:51 PM
I've read that L.A. has a list of seven teams they could potentially get: the Jaguars, the Rams, the 49ers, the Chargers, the Bills, the Raiders and the Vikings. Getting the Vikings out of Minnesota seems like an awfully long shot; do these guys know something I don't?

gg no re
10-22-2009, 07:17 PM
Getting the Vikings out of Minnesota has been talk for the last ten years. Not a long shot, but not a particularly good shot either.

But hey, LA's taken one team from Minnesota already. [rimshot]

LonerATO
10-22-2009, 09:03 PM
I dont think the twin cities want to pay for a brand new stadium, since they dropped a ton on TFC Bank Stadium

CloakNNNdagger
03-30-2012, 07:32 AM
This has gotten :popcorn:comical.

Report: AEG’s stadium plan may be fizzling out (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/29/report-aegs-stadium-plan-may-be-fizzling-out/)March 29, 2012, 11:01 PM EDT

It has long been believed that the NFL will return to Los Angeles only when two viable stadium projects emerge, which then can be squeezed against each other until the NFL emerges with the sweetest possible deal.

The man in charge of one of the two current stadium projects apparently isn’t willing to be squeezed.

Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reports that billionaire Philip Anschutz, whose company (AEG) wants to build a downtown stadium, has not revised his proposal more than three months after Commissioner Roger Goodell and Patriots owner Robert Kraft explained that AEG’s intention to purchase, at a discounted rate, a minority stake in the team that moves to the stadium will not be acceptable. That message was conveyed to Anschutz during a December meeting in Denver, when the Patriots traveled there to play the Broncos.

“It was friendly, but boiled down to the view that no NFL owner would accept the terms proposed,” a source told Cole. “If [AEG] wanted to get that much control over an NFL franchise, their only option would be to buy a team. If they were willing to back off the control and buy a [limited partnership] stake for a reasonable price, then a shared interest in selling suites/clubs/sponsorships could be worked out.”

The lack of progress between Anschutz and the NFL could soon derail the effort to build the stadium. As Cole explains it, politicians in Los Angeles may soon shift their focus toward expanding the Los Angeles Convention Center.

That would leave one viable stadium project in the Los Angeles area, via Ed Roski’s shovel-ready, open-air project in the City of Industry. In October, Roski offered to “hand over the 600 acres” to the team that moves there, with the team responsible for financing the stadium and Roski buying a share of the franchise at market value.

Still, without the AEG project to give Roski a reason to go even farther, the league’s absence from the L.A. market may continue indefinitely into the future.

IDEXAN
03-30-2012, 08:05 AM
Apparently baseball is far more important (and popular) in SoCal than football ?

Texan_Bill
03-30-2012, 09:20 AM
Apparently baseball is far more important (and popular) in SoCal than football ?

Without a doubt.

5 World Series Championships versus losing not one, but two football teams. The proof is in the pudding.

Playoffs
03-30-2012, 10:45 AM
http://shirtboss.com/409-1003-large/piss-on-los-angeles-dodgers-calvin-pee-shirt.jpg

ObsiWan
03-31-2012, 08:26 AM
I would go

AFC North - Pittsburgh, Indy, Cleveland, Cincinatti

AFC East - NYJ, Ravens, Bills, Patriots
NFC East - NYG, Washington, Philly, Panthers

AFC South - Houston, Miami, Jags, Titans
NFC South - Falcons, Cowboys, Saints, Buccs

AFC West - Chargers, KC, Raiders, Denver
NFC West - St.Louis, Rams (LA or St.), Cards., Seahawks

I like your realignment but the NLC-W only has three teams...
St. Louis Rams OR L.A. Rams
Az. Cards
Seattle Seahawks

who is your fourth team??

Dutchrudder
03-31-2012, 04:03 PM
I like your realignment but the NLC-W only has three teams...
St. Louis Rams OR L.A. Rams
Az. Cards
Seattle Seahawks

who is your fourth team??

He left out the 49ers, who are already in the NFC West.

Goldensilence
04-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Screw LA football fans.

They have let at least two teams go and had McNair, not put together such a phenomenal deal together in bidding for the Texans, they could have easily had another team.

They. Just. Don't. Care.

Leave them to their love affair with with the Lakers, Dodgers and USC.

Unfortunately, with such a large TV market the NFL wants back in LA badly...still.... screw them.