PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the 49ers

TheRealJoker
10-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Based on mere statistics the 49ers aren't quite as tough as we know they will be. The stats dont reflect their overall attitude as a team but just for fun lets take a look:

Their defense is ranked 15th in the league allowing 322.6 ypg and 12th in the league with 19.6 ppg allowed. Against the pass they are 20th in the league allowing 234 ypg with an average QB rating of 76.3 good for 9th in the league.

Against the run they are 7th in the league allowing 88.6 ypg on the ground and a mere 3.3 avg against the run.

On offense they are 17th in the league averaging 22.4 ppg and are 29th in yards with a mere 267 ypg. This means either they make the most of their opportunities and/or their defense/special teams are opportunistic. Someone who has watched a bit more of the 49ers than I have can probably fill in on that.

Some other things you might be interested in:

The good:

TheRoddy White, the Falcons # 1 WR managed to go off for 200+ yards and a td against this team. I dont know whether it the 49ers were off or what but clearly if any WR in the NFL can put up those types of numbers than our man AJ can do that and better.

The bad:

The 49ers run a 3-4 and run it rather successfully. As we all know, aside from the 2nd half of the Cardinals game and the 1st half of the Jax game we haven't done well against a 3-4 defense. Now is the time to play a complete game against a good 3-4 defense. We're gonna need to find out a way to get the screen passes to work this week but its gonna be tough with 4 LBers on the field this time. Its gonna be no dice running against this team as per usual so its of great importance we get the screen passing going so that they cant send the house at Schaub and we can break open some big plays like last week with AJ's first catch and Slaton's td.

This is a tough team with one of the best LBers in the league, a good CB in Nate Clements, 2 good RBs in Gore and Coffee, a physical freak in Vernon Davis at TE who is finally starting play like Tarzan instead of Jane and lets not forget that Michael Crabtree might be making his debut this week. The bigger threat at WR imo would be Isaac Bruce but their deficiency at the QB position should be able to help us out.

Most importantly though, they've got an attitude and a toughness about them that we're gonna need to match or exceed on Sunday in order to get a win in Reliant Stadium. They're gonna try to hit us in the mouth and we're gonna have to respond properly.

Brandon420tx
10-19-2009, 07:05 PM
Don't sleep on WR Josh Morgan either. He had a great end to the season last year, and after a slow start this year looks ready to try for the #1 WR spot again.

Kulluminatii
10-19-2009, 07:07 PM
I've also heard Crabs will play...wonder how he will do :thinking:.

m5kwatts
10-19-2009, 07:17 PM
Crabtree will start according to PFT

edo783
10-19-2009, 08:23 PM
They are starting to take on the personality of their coach, so they will be tough as nails physically.

infantrycak
10-19-2009, 09:21 PM
Their defense is ranked 15th in the league allowing 322.6 ypg and 12th in the league with 19.6 ppg allowed. Against the pass they are 20th in the league allowing 234 ypg with an average QB rating of 76.3 good for 9th in the league.

Honestly I haven't had the time or energy to go check this out, but IMO what is more important is examining how teams do against the other team's averages. Are teams having good days against them or bad days. For example, against the Texans D the last three weeks (I think without checking) the teams have under performed on their rushing. I don't care so much about what we end up ranking but would rather see the 1st ranked rushing offense look like the 32nd like last weekend.

TheRealJoker
10-19-2009, 09:36 PM
Honestly I haven't had the time or energy to go check this out, but IMO what is more important is examining how teams do against the other team's averages. Are teams having good days against them or bad days. For example, against the Texans D the last three weeks (I think without checking) the teams have under performed on their rushing. I don't care so much about what we end up ranking but would rather see the 1st ranked rushing offense look like the 32nd like last weekend.

True, i'll start looking at that when i'm looking at stats from now on. Seems more productive.

Sal Rosenberg
10-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Do you guys think their defense is any good?Jury is still out..but if Crabtree scores on us .....:headhurts::bat:

Norg
10-19-2009, 11:04 PM
there overated just like us LOL

brakos82
10-19-2009, 11:11 PM
My thoughts are along the lines of :francis: until the game's over.

Ryan
10-19-2009, 11:20 PM
This game worries me. Statistically, the Niners aren't anything special. But they like playing physically, and we never seem to match up well against those teams. It could go :whip: or :gun:

SF49erFaithful
10-20-2009, 12:55 AM
Should be a good game...assuming the niners pulled their heads out of their asses from their last game. If not, then it could be a long day for us.

And reports indicate that it's very likely that Crabtree will start at WR.

Marcus
10-20-2009, 03:55 AM
Should be a good game...assuming the niners pulled their heads out of their asses from their last game. If not, then it could be a long day for us.

And reports indicate that it's very likely that Crabtree will start at WR.

Having only two weeks of practice, and not yet played in an NFL game, I'm curious to see how that will work out. A complicated playbook the 49ers must have. :rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing him get lit up over the middle. Maybe Dunta can be of some use after all. :heh:

If he does anything of significance against us, it will just be small part of a much larger egg-laying process.

SF49erFaithful
10-20-2009, 04:16 AM
Having only two weeks of practice, and not yet played in an NFL game, I'm curious to see how that will work out. A complicated playbook the 49ers must have. :rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing him get lit up over the middle. Maybe Dunta can be of some use after all. :heh:

If he does anything of significance against us, it will just be small part of a much larger egg-laying process.

Well it's not like he is going to know all the plays; this doesn't really have anything to do with the sophistication of our playbook. Honestly, our offense is so bad that we're just trying out any potential sparkplugs that can blow some life into our offense. Crabtree will probably only run a few routes, some of which I bet will be design plays like screens and stuff.

This is a good game for him to start off in. You guys have some playmakers on defense obviously, but the DB corps is definitely lacking, so hopefully he has a chance to do something. But as average as your defense is, our O is probably worse, so we probably won't take advantage of it too much, if at all.

Marcus
10-20-2009, 05:07 AM
Well it's not like he is going to know all the plays; this doesn't really have anything to do with the sophistication of our playbook. Honestly, our offense is so bad that we're just trying out any potential sparkplugs that can blow some life into our offense. Crabtree will probably only run a few routes, some of which I bet will be design plays like screens and stuff.

This is a good game for him to start off in. You guys have some playmakers on defense obviously, but the DB corps is definitely lacking, so hopefully he has a chance to do something. But as average as your defense is, our O is probably worse, so we probably won't take advantage of it too much, if at all.

So fill me in your QB situation. I fully expected to see Alex Smith at the reins, but I noticed this Shaun Hill starting instead. And it also appears like you have some OL problems?

And FWIW, we've been a lot better containing the other team's running game the last couple of weeks. We held Benson of the Bengals pretty much in check.

And Brian Cushing's a beast. Should have ROY locked if does two things, not getting hurt, and not running into that "rookie wall".

Air Canada
10-20-2009, 05:31 AM
So fill me in your QB situation. I fully expected to see Alex Smith at the reins, but I noticed this Shaun Hill starting instead. And it also appears like you have some OL problems?

And FWIW, we've been a lot better containing the other team's running game the last couple of weeks. We held Benson of the Bengals pretty much in check.

And Brian Cushing's a beast. Should have ROY locked if does two things, not getting hurt, and not running into that "rookie wall".

The only thing could be injury...cuz he's only gonna run through any "wall"....Brian "Crushing" :wild:

ChampionTexan
10-20-2009, 07:11 AM
On offense they are 17th in the league averaging 22.4 ppg and are 29th in yards with a mere 267 ypg. This means either they make the most of their opportunities and/or their defense/special teams are opportunistic. Someone who has watched a bit more of the 49ers than I have can probably fill in on that.

The good news is after you back out the 4 defensive/special teams touchdowns that they've scored, the offense has averaged less than 17 points per game which is much more in line with the #29 ypg ranking.

The bad news is that they've scored 4 defensive/special teams touchdowns.

Seems like this would be a good week to cure Slaton's fumbleitis, and not have Schaub throw that one interception it seems like he's developed a habit of doing.

HoustonFrog
10-20-2009, 09:22 AM
I think after their debacle against the Falcons, Singletary will have that defense ready to play off a bye. I think it will be a tough game. They have weapons and Hill isn't spectacular by any means but he usually makes few mistakes while they grind it down the field.

HOU-TEX
10-20-2009, 09:27 AM
We're playing another team coming off their bye. That's awesome! :rolleyes:

gtexan02
10-20-2009, 09:42 AM
The 49ers are like we were last week: A product of their week schedule.

The only teams they've beaten are Seattle, St Louis, and a Cardinals team that started off very slowly.

They've lost to Minnesota and got absolutely smothered by Atlanta.

The teams theyve beaten have a combined record of 5-12 I think.

This is a team that doesn't have much going on offensively. Hill is a mediocre QB at best, which means if we can stop Gore, I think we'll be ok.

Our run defense has started to turn the corner *fingers crosssed/knocks on wood* and so this is the type of team we should match up very well against. They dont have the offensive threats in the passing game to blow this one open, so hopefully we can score early on them and make them play from behind

TheRealJoker
10-20-2009, 09:47 AM
Their starting CBs are pretty solid but so were Cincinnati's:

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=CB&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=28&numsnaps=50&numgames=1

Shawntae Spencer seems to be playing a lot better football than Nate Clements right now (altough that could be in large part because Clements got scorched by Roddy White in their last game for 200+ yards and a td).

Spencer has been thrown at 20 times only allowing 10 receptions, no tds, 1 INT, 2 passes defensed and a QB rating of 52.5.

Clements on the other hand has been thrown at 35 times allowing 19 receptions (54.3%), 4 tds,1 INT, 4 passes defensed and a QB rating of 109.7...

Lets match AJ up against Clements!!!

HoustonFrog
10-20-2009, 10:05 AM

The only teams they've beaten are Seattle, St Louis, and a Cardinals team that started off very slowly.

They've lost to Minnesota and got absolutely smothered by Atlanta.

This is a team that doesn't have much going on offensively. Hill is a mediocre QB at best, which means if we can stop Gore, I think we'll be ok.

Our run defense has started to turn the corner *fingers crosssed/knocks on wood* and so this is the type of team we should match up very well against. They dont have the offensive threats in the passing game to blow this one open, so hopefully we can score early on them and make them play from behind

Last second Favre pass. They played well that game....so they are dangerous

Jackie Chiles
10-20-2009, 11:20 AM
But as average as your defense is, our O is probably worse, so we probably won't take advantage of it too much, if at all.

Compared to recent seasons and early this year I'm inclined to take that as a compliment.

TheRealJoker
10-20-2009, 11:25 AM
Favre played his worst game of the season against the 49ers:

So far his QB rating is 109.5 and he's thrown for 1347 yards and 12 tds with 2 INTs.

Against the 49ers he was 24-46 (52.2 %...much worse than his 69.7% average for the year) for 301 yards 2 Tds and 1 INT. His QB rating was 78.3, his 2nd lowest for the season came in the season opener against Cleveland which was 95.3.

SF49erFaithful
10-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Their starting CBs are pretty solid but so were Cincinnati's:

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=CB&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=28&numsnaps=50&numgames=1

Shawntae Spencer seems to be playing a lot better football than Nate Clements right now (altough that could be in large part because Clements got scorched by Roddy White in their last game for 200+ yards and a td).

Spencer has been thrown at 20 times only allowing 10 receptions, no tds, 1 INT, 2 passes defensed and a QB rating of 52.5.

Clements on the other hand has been thrown at 35 times allowing 19 receptions (54.3%), 4 tds,1 INT, 4 passes defensed and a QB rating of 109.7...

Lets match AJ up against Clements!!!

Clements is better. These CB stats are total hogwash.

TheRealJoker
10-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Clements is better. These CB stats are total hogwash.

I notice on your team's board there is a debate as to who should cover AJ. Is it a kneejerk reaction to Clements' game against Roddy White?

SF49erFaithful
10-20-2009, 12:07 PM

Well, Shaun Hill is our QB and will be for the rest of the season unless he totally self-destructs like he did vs ATL, in which case Alex Smith will most likely take over. I find this highly unlikely, however; Singletary made it clear that Hill doesn't have a short leash, so he isn't waiting for him to screw up to put Alex in. It would have to take repeated crap fests for Hill to actually be shown the bench. Hill is a solid QB; he lacks the physical tools a great QB needs, like a good (or even average) arm, but compensates for that with his coolness. He doesn't make a lot of mistakes and plays hard, making him a good leader. But because of his inability to make those big throws, combined with our crap o-line, if we're down big we ain't comin' back.

So this brings me to the o-line; pretty much all you need to know is that it's atrocious. It can't run or pass block. Mike Singletary shook the starting line-up up a bit during the bye though, so maybe that improved it a bit.

And yeah, Cushing is a beast.

SF49erFaithful
10-20-2009, 12:18 PM
I notice on your team's board there is a debate as to who should cover AJ. Is it a kneejerk reaction to Clements' game against Roddy White?

Probably, but Spencer didn't play well last game either. It's not like Clements was the only one on Roddy though; White (as well as pretty much everyone on the ATL O) burned anyone who covered him. There were times when the safety blew it, Nate did, or another CB who was defending him that play.

Minus last week, Nate is having probably the best year of pro career. He is definitely stepping it up and making a ton of plays for us. What is most impressive is the force he is in our rush defense.

What I'm curious about is your guys' O-line. How has that looked so far?

Dan B.
10-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Probably, but Spencer didn't play well last game either. It's not like Clements was the only one on Roddy though; White (as well as pretty much everyone on the ATL O) burned anyone who covered him. There were times when the safety blew it, Nate did, or another CB who was defending him that play.

Minus last week, Nate is having probably the best year of pro career. He is definitely stepping it up and making a ton of plays for us. What is most impressive is the force he is in our rush defense.

The interior OL is awful. Our starting C has been run over by better DT's, our 3rd round pick has yet to play, and both of our starting Guards are out for the season. Backups have been better than I expected the last two games, but if your DL is up for the game they should get opportunities.

gtexan02
10-20-2009, 12:24 PM

Depends who we are playing. We looked like swiss cheese against the Jets 3-4 and absolutely dominated the Bengals DL. Against the Jets, Kris Jenkins literally karate chopped our center to the ground milliseconds after the ball was snapped. It looked like a cartoon. Against the Bengals, there were many times when Schaub had at least 5+ seconds to throw the ball. Over the last two weeks we've thrown the ball over 75 times I think and we've only given up 1 sack.

That said, we are pretty poor in run blocking at the moment. If we get a hole, its usually gaping. If we don't, the OL seem to bump into each other.

The OL is like the rest of the team--feast or famine

infantrycak
10-20-2009, 12:39 PM
our 3rd round pick has yet to play

Caldwell played against the Bengals.

Over the last two weeks we've thrown the ball over 75 times I think and we've only given up 1 sack.

90 passing attempts with 2 sacks.

TheRealJoker
10-20-2009, 12:43 PM
So this brings me to the o-line; pretty much all you need to know is that it's atrocious. It can't run or pass block. Mike Singletary shook the starting line-up up a bit during the bye though, so maybe that improved it a bit.

And yeah, Cushing is a beast.

Hopefully this means that Super Mario will arrive on Sunday!!! How is your OT play? I remember hearing good things about your LT Staley(?) when he was drafted.

Tahoegirl
10-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Hopefully this means that Super Mario will arrive on Sunday!!! How is your OT play? I remember hearing good things about your LT Staley(?) when he was drafted.

Staley is playing OK.. Got owned a lot against the Falcons, but the whole team sucked that game. I think they were all thinking about going home to the wife, girlfriends etc and getting some..

Yes, Craptree is playing against you guys Singletary stated 10-15 snaps the other day. This does not mean the ball will be, thrown to him..

As of yesterday the team, coaches have been very impressed with craptree and they want him on the field and feel he, can make a difference. Time will tell and I am not sold on this pre madonna.

We, have made changes on our O line Tony Pashos will play RT and Adam Snyder will shift to RG and rotate with Chilo Rachal. Rachal has been a huge disappointment so far this year, the reason for being benched. Should be interesting to see how the O line responds with the changes.

Sunday's game our defense needs to show up and play like they have been. Should be, a great game coming down to the wire on who wins.

infantrycak
10-20-2009, 01:02 PM
I am not sold on this pre madonna.

Y'all drafted a 51 year old WR?

Showtime100
10-21-2009, 04:11 PM
Here are CBSSports.com's thoughts on the Niners.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/ShowtimeN15580/Sports/Week7.jpg

Question: The "expert" records just above here^^. Against the spread, correct? Gotta be. (Miami over N.O. gives it away) Anyway, I'll take it.

:kingkong: :pirate: :kingkong:

Texan_Bill
10-21-2009, 04:15 PM
Here are CBSSports.com's thoughts on the Niners.

Question: The "expert" records just above here^^. Against the spread, correct? Gotta be. (Miami over N.O. gives it away) Anyway, I'll take it.

:kingkong: :pirate: :kingkong:

Me too!! :fans:

DocBar
10-21-2009, 06:51 PM
Based on mere statistics the 49ers aren't quite as tough as we know they will be. The stats dont reflect their overall attitude as a team but just for fun lets take a look:

Against the run they are 7th in the league allowing 88.6 ypg on the ground and a mere 3.3 avg against the run.

Some other things you might be interested in:

The good:

TheRoddy White, the Falcons # 1 WR managed to go off for 200+ yards and a td against this team. I dont know whether it the 49ers were off or what but clearly if any WR in the NFL can put up those types of numbers than our man AJ can do that and better.

The bad:

The 49ers run a 3-4 and run it rather successfully. As we all know, aside from the 2nd half of the Cardinals game and the 1st half of the Jax game we haven't done well against a 3-4 defense. Now is the time to play a complete game against a good 3-4 defense. We're gonna need to find out a way to get the screen passes to work this week but its gonna be tough with 4 LBers on the field this time. Its gonna be no dice running against this team as per usual so its of great importance we get the screen passing going so that they cant send the house at Schaub and we can break open some big plays like last week with AJ's first catch and Slaton's td.

This is a tough team with one of the best LBers in the league, a good CB in Nate Clements, 2 good RBs in Gore and Coffee, a physical freak in Vernon Davis at TE who is finally starting play like Tarzan instead of Jane and lets not forget that Michael Crabtree might be making his debut this week. The bigger threat at WR imo would be Isaac Bruce but their deficiency at the QB position should be able to help us out.

Most importantly though, they've got an attitude and a toughness about them that we're gonna need to match or exceed on Sunday in order to get a win in Reliant Stadium. They're gonna try to hit us in the mouth and we're gonna have to respond properly.

I didn't read all of the posts, so I aplogize if I'm repeating some one else, but never, I mean NEVER underestimate our ability to make so-so QB's look great. I know our D has been playing better ( actually pretty damned great) the last few weeks, but I'm staying nervous about it staying at that level. We seem to reach above averageness and get complacent.

DocBar
10-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Me too!! :fans:

Looking at the overall totals for those guys does not inspire confidence. Screw the spread, all I want are W's.

Thorn
10-22-2009, 07:11 AM
Stats don't always mean a whole lot, but comparing the teams matchups:

Texans offense is rated 5th over all, going against SanFran defense rated 10th overall.

SanFans offense is rated 31st over all, going against Houston's defense rated 23rd over all.

So, judging just by the numbers each team has put up, our offense is better than their defense, and our defense is better than their offense. But, like I said, stats don't mean a whole lot to a motivated team. I can't wait for Sunday. I want to be 5-3 (wins over SanFran and Buffalo) before heading up to Indy.

HOU-TEX
10-22-2009, 01:24 PM
I think we absolutely have to get the early lead in this game. If we can do that it'll force Hill to throw the ball in order to beat us. In turn, it'll allow Mario & Co to pin their ears back and go eat.

Defense must stop the run early to allow the offense a chance to get the lead.

Bryon
10-22-2009, 02:24 PM
If Houston goes up by more than a TD the 49ers are screwed and will self destruct like they did vs Atlanta.

Dan B.
10-22-2009, 03:15 PM
I agree that the Niners will have trouble coming from behind, but I've started to come around on Hill. He isn't going to be a Manning any day soon, but he does a pretty good job of minimizing mistakes and controlling the game. If we get involved in a long drawn out struggle where it comes down to which QB makes a mistake in the fourth and takes a dumb risk, I might pick Schaub over Hill to overshoot and try to do too much. Combined with Slaton's unnerving propensity for turnovers, a close game is going to have me very nervous.

Jackie Chiles
10-22-2009, 03:17 PM
I agree that the 9ers will have trouble coming from behind, but I've started to come around on Hill. He isn't going to be a Manning any day soon, but he does a pretty good job of minimizing mistakes and controlling the game. If we get involved in a long drawn out struggle where it comes down to which QB makes the first mistake and takes a dumb risk, might pick Schaub over Hil to overshoot and try to do too much. Combined with Slaton's unnerving propensity for turnovers, a close game is going to have me very nervous.

I don't see him or that offense making big mistakes either. Hopefully we continue to make a good amount of three and outs and our offense continues to play well.

Bryon
10-22-2009, 03:23 PM
SF is king of 3 and outs. No issue there.

badboy
10-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Y'all drafted a 51 year old WR?Beat me to it. Couldn't resist.

badboy
10-22-2009, 03:31 PM
I am expecting a very solid win against SF. Maybe not a blow out but a "take control" game. Against Buffalo a closer but still solid win. We need some consistency appearing. Whoa, for a minute there I thought I had channeled Gary K.

HouSportsWriter
10-22-2009, 03:57 PM
2 words.....

they suck!

:fans:

badboy
10-22-2009, 04:05 PM
2 words.....

they suck!

:fans:you better hope we win.

Air Canada
10-22-2009, 04:05 PM
2 words.....

they suck!

Good one, but let's make'em feel it!
Light them up Sunday!
:cowboy1:

Bryon
10-22-2009, 04:10 PM
2 words.....

they're offense sucks!

Fixed.

Runner
10-22-2009, 10:32 PM
I don't feel this way often, but I'm confident in a Texans win this Sunday. Confident as in blow-out.

Carr Bombed
10-23-2009, 01:23 AM
Shaun Hill becomes absolutely crappy when he's forced to beat you with his arm. When you push him out of the mid 20's pass attempt range, he struggles..

If Houston wants to beat the 49ers they need to stop the run, build a lead, and force Hill to throw about 30+ balls and beat Houston with his arm. That's how you beat a "game manager" :rolleyes: (the worst bullcrap label in all of sports......it's just a polite way of saying "well he's not really winning his teams games.......but atleast he isn't losing them any either").

AnthonyE
10-23-2009, 01:33 AM
3 words.....

their offense suck!

Fixed.

Fixed your fix.

Dan B.
10-23-2009, 02:44 AM
Shaun Hill becomes absolutely crappy when he's forced to beat you with his arm. When you push him out of the mid 20's pass attempt range, he struggles..

If Houston wants to beat the 49ers they need to stop the run, build a lead, and force Hill to throw about 30+ balls and beat Houston with his arm. That's how you beat a "game manager" :rolleyes: (the worst bullcrap label in all of sports......it's just a polite way of saying "well he's not really winning his teams games.......but atleast he isn't losing them any either").

Since Singletary took over the 49ers, Hill has been forced to pass more than 30 times in the majority of SF's games -- 8 out of 14 games. They are 4-4 in those games vs an 8-6 overall record under Singletary. In those games, Hill was 170 for 222 (a 77% completion percentage) with 9 TD's and 7 picks. His average QB rating in those games was 77.43 (this is not a calculation of his rating on his stats from all of those games, but an average of his rating in them). As a point of reference his career rating is 80.7. Hill was very bad against the Falcons. He also stunk it up vs STL last year. But he has also had very good games versus Dallas, the Jets, and Arizona. I think he does help his team win games by not forcing the ball where he shouldn't (certain ex Texans could've learned that lesson). Hill isn't great, but he is not the worst QB in football by any means.

Strategywise, shutting down the run against SF didn't help Arizona this year (they held them to 21 yards rushing and lost) or St. Louis (held SF's entire offense to <250 yards and still lost 35-0). If we turn it over, especially inside either 20, we will lose. Slaton needs to hang on to the damn ball, and Matt needs to be patient and find the open man or throw it away. SF wins by capitalizing on other teams mistakes. You beat them by playing better fundamental football than them. I will not be feeling cocky if we shut down their running game and it's a 6-3 game going into the fourth. I completely agree with building a lead being crucial. You have to force them into panic mode. Don't let them lull you with 3 and outs while they patiently wait for you to try too hard.

mattieuk
10-23-2009, 03:16 AM
I believe after last Sunday's great win we should come out and absolutely, and utterly trounce the 49ers. AJ and JJ should light up the field all day long on deep routes, and our D should do a good enough job against their pass game, to be able to negate their rush attack.

So, with that in mind, remembering its the Texans, I say we'll lose.

I would add a sarcasm smilie....but the worrying thing is, I'm not sure if I'm serious or not.

Carr Bombed
10-23-2009, 03:43 AM
Since Singletary took over the 49ers, Hill has been forced to pass more than 30 times in the majority of SF's games -- 8 out of 14 games. They are 4-4 in those games vs an 8-6 overall record under Singletary. In those games, Hill was 170 for 222 (a 77% completion percentage) with 9 TD's and 7 picks. His average QB rating in those games was 77.43 (this is not a calculation of his rating on his stats from all of those games, but an average of his rating in them). As a point of reference his career rating is 80.7. Hill was very bad against the Falcons. He also stunk it up vs STL last year. But he has also had very good games versus Dallas, the Jets, and Arizona. I think he does help his team win games by not forcing the ball where he shouldn't (certain ex Texans could've learned that lesson). Hill isn't great, but he is not the worst QB in football by any means.

Strategywise, shutting down the run against SF didn't help Arizona this year (they held them to 21 yards rushing and lost) or St. Louis (held SF's entire offense to <250 yards and still lost 35-0). If we turn it over, especially inside either 20, we will lose. Slaton needs to hang on to the damn ball, and Matt needs to be patient and find the open man or throw it away. SF wins by capitalizing on other teams mistakes. You beat them by playing better fundamental football than them. I will not be feeling cocky if we shut down their running game and it's a 6-3 game going into the fourth. I completely agree with building a lead being crucial. You have to force them into panic mode. Don't let them lull you with 3 and outs while they patiently wait for you to try too hard.

He hasn't been that this year...I've already cracked the #s which is why I made the statement that I did...

Hill has only been allowed to throw more than 25-26 passes 2 times this season (It's pretty obvious that team wants to limit him to around 25 passing attempts). In the games where he has exceded that range he has a 1 passing TD to 2 turnover ratio.....with a completion % of 48.8 and a average QB rating of 67.5.

In games where his team is moving the ball on the ground or their defense can keep them in games and allow them to stay balanced on offense and he's allowed to stay within his 25 or so passing attempt comfort zone...he has a 4 passing TD to 1 turnover ratio......with a completion % of 63.8 (15 points higher) and a QB rating of 95.2 (27.7 points higher)...

So yeah......like I said above. His passing stats say make him throw the ball, because he gets worse the more times he does THIS YEAR. He isn't a QB like Schaub who does well throwing the ball damn near 40 times a game. Stop the run, build a lead, and force Hill to beat you.....I'm pretty sure that's going to be the strategy going into the game.

Dan B.
10-23-2009, 04:23 AM
He hasn't been that this year...I've already cracked the #s which is why I made the statement that I did...

Hill has only been allowed to throw more than 25-26 passes 2 times this season (It's pretty obvious that team wants to limit him to around 25 passing attempts). In the games where he has exceded that range he has a 1 passing TD to 2 turnover ratio.....with a completion % of 48.8 and a average QB rating of 67.5.

In games where his team is moving the ball on the ground or their defense can keep them in games and allow them to stay balanced on offense and he's allowed to stay within his 25 or so passing attempt comfort zone...he has a 4 passing TD to 1 turnover ratio......with a completion % of 63.8 (15 points higher) and a QB rating of 95.2 (27.7 points higher)...

So yeah......like I said above. His passing stats say make him throw the ball, because he gets worse the more times he does THIS YEAR. He isn't a QB like Schaub who does well throwing the ball damn near 40 times a game. Stop the run, build a lead, and force Hill to beat you.....I'm pretty sure that's going to be the strategy going into the game.

2 games out of 5. Also, as you pointed out THIS YEAR's data set has only consists of two games. In one he was awful. In the other he was pretty good. I don't think we've seen enough to say definitively that he blows when he throws more than 25 times, particularly when you consider that including 8 games of last year (the entirety of both his and his coach's data set), he's been fair to middling. He is who he is, whether he throws 10 or 40 times.

I would absolutely rather the ball be in his hands than Gore's. I don't think he has the arm strength nor the explosive weapons to overcome a two possession deficit without assistance. All I am saying is that while Shaun Hill won't carry a team and beat you, he can keep you from beating him. He's Trent Dilfer.

Believe me, I'm not saying that we need to fear Hill's killer arm and run 5 DB sets on 1st down. We should emphasize stopping the run, I completely agree. But that may not be enough. Again, it wasn't enough for Arizona, and that game WAS this year. I think the Cards are very close to Houston in terms of talent as well as team strengths. They shut down Gore and dared Hill to beat them, on the road (in their home opener following a Super Bowl appearance). He did.

I don't mean to sound so negative. I know that San Francisco has flaws. I'm just not convinced that Hill is the biggest one. I think with better skill players around him he will be all right, and if I were running the Niners I wouldn't consider QB a pressing need, especially since the team's offense doesn't rely as much on the QB. I am also not completely sold that we are disciplined enough to take advantage of the flaws SF does have. I am officially a Missourian now when it comes to the Texans. Show me.

Carr Bombed
10-23-2009, 04:37 AM
2 games out of 5. Also, as you pointed out THIS YEAR's data set has only consists of two games. In one he was awful. In the other he was pretty good. I don't think we've seen enough to say definitively that he blows when he throws more than 25 times, particularly when you consider that including 8 games of last year (the entirety of both his and his coach's data set), he's been fair to middling. He is who he is, whether he throws 10 or 40 times.

I would absolutely rather the ball be in his hands than Gore's. I don't think he has the arm strength nor the explosive weapons to overcome a two possession deficit without assistance. All I am saying is that while Shaun Hill won't carry a team and beat you, he can keep you from beating him. He's Trent Dilfer.

Believe me, I'm not saying that we need to fear Hill's killer arm and run 5 DB sets on 1st down. We should emphasize stopping the run, I completely agree. But that may not be enough. Again, it wasn't enough for Arizona, and that game WAS this year. I think the Cards are very close to Houston in terms of talent as well as team strengths. They shut down Gore and dared Hill to beat them, on the road (in their home opener following a Super Bowl appearance). He did.

I don't mean to sound so negative. I know that San Francisco has flaws. I'm just not completely sold that we are disciplined enough to take advantage of them. I am officially a Missourian now when it comes to the Texans. Show me.

Hill wasn't the reason why Arizona lost.....they lost because they couldn't score any points (not near enough what that offense is capable of, they only put up 16 points) and Warner threw 2 picks.

I'm not saying we can play like crap and still win if Hill has to throw alot of passes. I'm saying that's the best way to slow down their offense, they are a run oriented team (or atleast they want to be.) The two lowest point totals they've had this year was when Hill had to throw the ball more (20 points against Arizona and just 10 points against Atlanta) Arizona stopped their run and forced Hill to throw more and they only lost by 4 points, despite having a crappy day offensively....while Atlanta blew them out. We obviously need to put up more than 16 points if we want to win any week.

Also the reason why I didn't pull up his #s from last year is because that was last year. Schaub isn't the QB he was last year.......our running game isn't anywhere near where it was last year. Things change from year to year. (Look at K. Collins in Tenn)

Dan B.
10-23-2009, 04:53 AM
Hill wasn't the reason why Arizona lost.....they lost because they couldn't score any points (not near enough what that offense is capable of, they only put up 16 points) and Warner threw 2 picks.

I'm not saying we can play like crap and still win if Hill has to throw alot of passes. I'm saying that's the best way to slow down their offense, they are a run oriented team (or atleast they want to be.) The two lowest point totals they've had this year was when Hill had to throw the ball more (20 against Arizona and just 10 against Alanta) Arizona stopped their run and forced Hill to throw more and they only lost by 4 points, despite having a crappy day offensively. We obviously need to put up more than 16 points if we want to win any week.

Also the reason why I didn't pull up his #s from last year is because that was last year. Schaub isn't the QB he was last year.......our running game isn't anywhere near where it was last year. Things change from year to year. (Look at K. Collins in Tenn)

Right. Nothing I've seen from Houston so far this year makes me certain that they won't do the same thing ARZ did. Again, I don't mean to sound too negative, but I have yet to see the Texans show that they won't turn the ball over 2 or 3 times. I think if we turn it over more than SF, we will lose. No matter what we make Hill do.

I definitely agree that we need to shut down the run. I agree that that is the way to shut them down. I never argued that. I agree that if Hill is throwing the ball a lot they are being forced out of their preferred system. They tend to resort by having Hill throw short passes to minimize potential catastrophe. You can remove that option by building a multiple possession lead and forcing them into big plays, which hopefully they simply don't have the talent to accomplish even against our crappy secondary.

Basically my thoughts are: if you want to win, stop their best offensive player, force them out of their comfort zone, don't turn the ball over and score a lot more than them. Score early and often. Pretty deep, huh?

Vinnie
10-23-2009, 10:46 AM
I agree that the Niners will have trouble coming from behind

I don't know about that, they are from San Francisco after all.

Sorry, couldn't resist!

BigBull17
10-23-2009, 10:51 AM
I don't know about that, they are from San Francisco after all.

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Here's to hoping they don't stick it to us.

Bryon
10-23-2009, 11:15 AM

Your #s are off somewhere. Hill only has 2 INTs this season, not 3. Either way, though, he still sucks.

Carr Bombed
10-23-2009, 11:38 AM
Your #s are off somewhere. Hill only has 2 INTs this season, not 3. Either way, though, he still sucks.

Nope, they're not off....if you noticed, I said "turnovers"....(2 picks, 1 fumble lost).

Bryon
10-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Nope, they're not off....if you noticed, I said "turnovers"....(2 picks, 1 fumble lost).

My bad, you are absolutely correct.

b0ng
10-23-2009, 01:17 PM

Those "experts" records are awful. I'm 65-25 against the spread and I don't watch nearly as much football as these guys do.

In my record though I've only picked the Texans game right once. So there's always that.

HOU-TEX
10-23-2009, 01:21 PM
Those "experts" records are awful. I'm 65-25 against the spread and I don't watch nearly as much football as these guys do.

In my record though I've only picked the Texans game right once. So there's always that.

The fellas on NFLN Playbook chose us to win too. IMO, this is not a good sign. We seem to lay an egg the game after being chatted up in a positive manner. :gun:

TimeKiller
10-23-2009, 01:25 PM
Should try to come up with an early lead like they did against the Bengals. Their passing game is so bad I bet the Texans even get 2 INTs in this game. Gore is really the only offensive weapon and he's coming off an injury. Should be a dominating game by the D.

I'd be worried about their D though. I'll bet they cause a little misery.

b0ng
10-23-2009, 01:30 PM
The fellas on NFLN Playbook chose us to win too. IMO, this is not a good sign. We seem to lay an egg the game after being chatted up in a positive manner. :gun:

I don't know why either. The only believers in the 9'ers right now is Vegas, imagine that.

I think the 49'er 3-4 defense is much more stout than Arizona's and that D pretty much shut us down for the first half.

DexmanC
10-23-2009, 01:46 PM

Sterling Sharpe predicted us, but it was begrudgingly. He said, and i quote,
"As soon as you fall love with the Houston Texans, that's when they sorta
pull their pants down."

I'm in the same boat Sharpe is in with this one. I need us to grow up, like
the Colts did, after the Jim Mora era. The Colts were an automatic win for
years, and now look at them. It's time for the Texans to step up.

Texan JBZ
10-23-2009, 01:51 PM
I have generally good feelings going into this game. It's not the same feeling I had going into the Bengals game because the Texans always play great after a loss. I just think this team woke up to how good they can be in the second half of the Arizona game. I just hope it continues this Sunday because the 49ers are a very beatable team. It's critical that the Texans win these next two games.

HOU-TEX
10-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Sterling Sharpe predicted us, but it was begrudgingly. He said, and i quote,
"As soon as you fall love with the Houston Texans, that's when they sorta
pull their pants down."

I'm in the same boat Sharpe is in with this one. I need us to grow up, like
the Colts did, after the Jim Mora era. The Colts were an automatic win for
years, and now look at them. It's time for the Texans to step up.

Ha, yeah, I heard that too. Like you, I also agree with him. I do not trust this team at all when it comes to consistency.

DexmanC
10-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Just watched a recording of Inside the NFL.
Warren Sapp is an AVID Texans fan. They predicted, unanimously,
an easy Texans win. Mainly, because they feel Houston has finally
decided to start playing to its strength by THROWING THE DAMN
BALL!

Tailgate
10-23-2009, 02:32 PM
If we can give Schaub time, then we win this game. He needs to be in his groove.

Bryon
10-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Should try to come up with an early lead like they did against the Bengals. Their passing game is so bad I bet the Texans even get 2 INTs in this game. Gore is really the only offensive weapon and he's coming off an injury. Should be a dominating game by the D.

The 49ers have thrown 2 INTs all season. Our defense, however, has had at least one INT in each game so far if I am not mistaken.

Bryon
10-23-2009, 02:35 PM
I have generally good feelings going into this game. It's not the same feeling I had going into the Bengals game because the Texans always play great after a loss. I just think this team woke up to how good they can be in the second half of the Arizona game. I just hope it continues this Sunday because the 49ers are a very beatable team. It's critical that the Texans win these next two games.

Most 49er fans are saying the same thing you are. They have a good feeling going into this game and the Texans are a very beatable team.

I think the Texans win, but I hope not.

Goatcheese
10-23-2009, 03:05 PM
Most 49er fans are saying the same thing you are. They have a good feeling going into this game and the Texans are a very beatable team.

I think the Texans win, but I hope not.

That's not the impression I got from the SF board this week. They're half "the sky is falling", a quarter rational, and a quarter irrationally exuberant.

Dan B.
10-23-2009, 03:30 PM
The 49ers have thrown 2 INTs all season. Our defense, however, has had at least one INT in each game so far if I am not mistaken.

Our defense did not get an INT vs Jacksonville or Oakland. I believe that Schaub finished the Tennessee game without an INT, the only game he has done so (it's no coincidence this was also the only time we've broken 30 pts this year). Of course, then there's the fumbles. We have yet to play a turnover free game. This worries me. I think it is incredibly difficult to be consistently competitive when you are shooting yourself in the foot and killing your chances multiple times a game.

Bryon
10-23-2009, 03:34 PM
I believe that Schaub finished the Tennessee game without an INT (it's no coincidence this was also the only time we've broken 30 pts this year). Of course, then there's the fumbles. We have yet to play a turnover free game. This worries me. I think it is incredibly difficult to be consistently competitive when you are shooting yourself in the foot and killing your chances multiple times a game.

Well here's to the Texans shooting themselves in the foot repeatedly during this game. My 49ers will need each one to win.

TheRealJoker
10-23-2009, 05:52 PM
Stop Gore, take advantage of your opportunities and force the 49ers to be one dimensional and have to throw it downfield the entire 2nd half.

Dont get careless with the football and turn it over, take what their defense gives you even if it means a FG instead of a TD. Those will add up and if we can get a 2 score lead heading into the 2nd half we should be able to take the leash off of Super Mario and Barwin to let them get after the QB and force him to make some bad decisions.

We absolutely cannot give the 49ers defense an opportunity to score points off of turnovers. Be safe with the ball, we've got enough firepower on offense that the points will come if we're patient and do not force anything. Keys to this game will be stopping Frank Gore and taking care of the football.

Lucky
10-23-2009, 07:56 PM

The record of the Texans vanquished opponents is 6-12.

Since Singletary took over the 49ers, Hill has been forced to pass more than 30 times in the majority of SF's games -- 8 out of 14 games. They are 4-4 in those games vs an 8-6 overall record under Singletary. In those games, Hill was 170 for 222 (a 77% completion percentage) with 9 TD's and 7 picks.
In 2008, Mike Martz was the Niners offensive coordinator. They don't pass as well under new OC Jimmy Raye. But, they turn the ball over a lot less.

We have yet to play a turnover free game.
The Texans did not turn the ball over versus the Titans. That was fair catch interference. Isn't that right, Jeff?

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/blogs/fifthdown/FISHER.JPG

That's it, in a nutshell. The Texans have more talent than the 49ers. They just need to show up and prove it.

DocBar
10-23-2009, 09:22 PM
I think this is a very important game for us. I hate to say must win in week 7, so I won't. If we can go out and play the good version of Texan football, we can start shaking that "finesse" label that's been put on us. If we can shut down another good running game, we can put the ghosts of seasons past and the first 3 games of this season behind us. Those are 2 pretty good reasons to take this game seriously. I don't think it will be a blowout. This should be a hard fought game against a highly motivated, well rested team led by a slightly phsychotic, crazy-like-fox coach.

Carr Bombed
10-23-2009, 09:31 PM
I think this is a very important game for us. I hate to say must win in week 7, so I won't. If we can go out and play the good version of Texan football, we can start shaking that "finesse" label that's been put on us. If we can shut down another good running game, we can put the ghosts of seasons past and the first 3 games of this season behind us. Those are 2 pretty good reasons to take this game seriously. I don't think it will be a blowout. This should be a hard fought game against a highly motivated, well rested team led by a slightly phsychotic, crazy-like-fox coach.

I think the next 2 games are "must win" games...

We have a divisional stretch on our schedule like I've never seen before.

After the Buffalo game we're...

@ Indy
go into our BYE
then Tenn. at home on MNF
home against Indy
then @ Jacksonville

4 divisional games in a row is absolutely CRAZY.......I'd feel MUCH better starting that stretch 5-3 instead of 4-4....(if we're 3-5 and facing that stretch, people can just forgot about the season)

TheRealJoker
10-24-2009, 09:55 AM
We have to exploit their SS position. Their top 2 SSs are out and they are down to moving a FS over to the spot. They are going to dedicate their FS to whichever side of the field AJ is on like everyone else does but they're playing a 3rd stringer at the other safety position so we've gotta exploit that with OD or one of our other WRs.

TheRealJoker
10-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Saw this blurb on the best and worst matchups for Fantasy Football on nfl.com and found this bit encouraging given our history against opposing TEs:

Sit em

2. Vernon Davis at Texans: Texans have been tough on opposing TEs, allowing an average of 3.8 fantasy PPG.

I know its just FF, but still, any improvement that we see is good improvement!!!

Giant Tiger
10-24-2009, 11:27 AM

This worries me. Sounds similar to the Jets game. I expected less out of Sanchez :thinking: . I hope our defense keeps improving :wild:

TheRealJoker
10-24-2009, 11:37 AM
This worries me. Sounds similar to the Jets game. I expected less out of Sanchez :thinking: . I hope our defense keeps improving :wild:

Their OL is not as good as the Jets and imo their defense wont be good enough to stone our offense so that they can wear out our defense. Especially since the only starter in our secondary from the Jets game was Dunta who had practiced with the team for less than a week and we were missing KW to help take pressure off of AJ. Not to mention Cushing was seeing his first live snaps due to missing all of the preseason.

The week 7 Texans are a stronger team than the week 1 Texans.

Livid13
10-24-2009, 11:46 AM

You're spot on about Crabtree running a FEW routes. The guy has had zero time with the playbook. I would be shocked if he burns our secondary. WAY too early for that nonsense...

Air Canada
10-24-2009, 12:01 PM
Would you guys really believe that the 49ers lead the league in 3 and outs and OUR DEFENSE leads the league in forcing 3 and outs!!!

dinkatoid
10-24-2009, 12:54 PM
Their OL is not as good as the Jets and imo their defense wont be good enough to stone our offense so that they can wear out our defense. Especially since the only starter in our secondary from the Jets game was Dunta who had practiced with the team for less than a week and we were missing KW to help take pressure off of AJ. Not to mention Cushing was seeing his first live snaps due to missing all of the preseason.

The week 7 Texans are a stronger team than the week 1 Texans.

I think one of the bigger problems was just facing the Jets in week 1. With Rex Ryan taking over as head coach, I am not sure people fully knew what to expect out of the team. They were a solid team last year until the Favre Injury, and Ryan has only made them better. Sanchez did well in that game, but a lot of it IMO was cause we tended to blitz a bit too heavy on thrid down (where he was most effective) leaving guys wide open. The running game only broke loose in the 4th quarter because our D had been on the field so long.

Thorn
10-24-2009, 04:18 PM
Would you guys really believe that the 49ers lead the league in 3 and outs and OUR DEFENSE leads the league in forcing 3 and outs!!!

stats can lead you in any direction you want. For instance our defense is tied with chicago and Seattle for 15th in the league for giving up 3rd down conversions, and 20th in the league for giving up 4th down conversions.

But, whatever. I think it's plain to see our defense is playing much better these days, and their statistical postions in all these listings are still being tainted by those early games. If the defense keeps playing the way they have been, they'll be very highly ranked and we'll be in the playoffs.

If If If........

whiskeyrbl
10-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Not a thought just a stepping stone.

76Texan
10-25-2009, 10:38 AM
The Niners front seven is very active.
Our blockers would better be ready.
And that's including OD and the backs.

Bryon
10-25-2009, 11:15 AM
You're spot on about Crabtree running a FEW routes. The guy has had zero time with the playbook. I would be shocked if he burns our secondary. WAY too early for that nonsense...

Crabtree WILL score his 1st TD vs Houston.

jppaul
10-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Crabtree WILL score his 1st TD vs Houston.

Thats optimistic, why do you think so?