PDA

View Full Version : Some stat-induced thoughts about our Texans players

gtexan02
10-19-2009, 08:34 AM
1. Brian Cushing is that good. Wow. I wanted to believe it after we drafted him. After our first few games, I was close to buying in. I am now 100% convinced. This guy is the real deal. He is extremely strong, he has amazing football instincts, his work ethic is amazing, and he is only going to get better. He can do everything.
He's leading the Texans in tackles and is 13th overall.
He rushes the passer extremely well.
He is much better in coverage than advertised. That pick yesterday was beautiful and he already has 5 passes defended. Thats good enough for 23rd overall and 2nd among LBs!
He wraps up the ball carrier when he needs to and goes for the fumble when he has to. 2 forced fumbles in 6 games is pretty good production. He accounted for 3 turnovers by himself yesterday.
And lastly, and perhaps most importantly, the guy is smart and wants to win above all else. I don't get the impression that he cares at all about his own personal stats. He is a self-proclaimed film addict. But the thing that really seals it for me is what he did after interception on Sunday. He kneeled down. He knew the situation, the time, etc and instead of trying to run it back for a TD or something, he just kneeled down and secured the win.

2. AJ is having another monster season. He's 2nd in the NFL with 572 receiving yards, and 4th in the NFl with 38 receptions. He's finding the end zone more often this year as well, ranked 3rd with 4 TDs. Of players with more than 25 receptions, he's 1st with 15.9 yards per catch. The only thing that concerns me is that he's 1st in targets with 66. That means the ball is thrown at him 11 times per game, and he only comes down with it 58% of the time.

3. Schaub is having a probowl type year. 2nd in the NFl in yards with 1810, 1st in the NFL with 14 TDs, and 9th in the NFl with a 65% completion percentage. If he can stay healthy, this is a step in the right direction. He's also been much better at protecting the ball, only throwing 5 picks in 219 attempts (once per 44 throws). Last year he was once per 38 throws. The year before that it was once per 32 throws. He is certainly improving.

4. Our offensive red zone struggles are getting better. Those two goal line stuffs have really killed our season so far, but on the whole, we've improved. We're 9th in the NFL in offense, racking up 370 yards per game and we're 12th in the NFl in scoring, with almost 24 per game. We're +2 in the turnover margin and we are winning the time of possession battle.
Our biggest struggle seems to be converting short yardage conversions, and our 3rd down numbers leave a lot to be desired. We currently rank 3rd, which is behind the winless Titans.

5. After our miserable start, our defense is starting to take shape. We are ranked 20th overall with 352 yards per game. We're allowing opposing QBs a ranking of 84, good for middle of the pack in this league. Discounting those huge run plays in the beginning of the season, we've actually been ok on run defense. We shut down Benson last week despite his being the 1st back in over 2.5 years to gain 100 yards on the Ravens. Our big problem has been pass rush. We're 3rd to last with only 7. Not going to cut it. What happened to Mario?

Anyway, the point is that we're 3-3, but our stats point to us being significantly more competitive than our record indicates. We had a chance to tie that Jacksonville game and we blew our chance to win in Arizona. We could easily be 5-1 or 2-3 at this point in the season, so I guess 3-3 isn't that far off. The good news is that for the first time since I can remember, we took a good 2nd half in Arizona and parlayed that into a win against a tough AFC team that was riding high. Lets hope we can bring the hurt to SF next week

TimeKiller
10-19-2009, 10:00 AM
I think offensive red zone struggles have gotten better because they are trying to score from 20-30 yards out instead of getting all the way up to the goalline and being the usual ineffective offense. My observation anyway.

I think Mario is pretty hurt. 'bout 3 weeks that shoulder has been listed so he's gotta be less than 100%. His production has slipped for sure though. It'll be a nice boost for the whole D to get him screaming around the corners again.

noxiousdog
10-19-2009, 10:08 AM
But the thing that really seals it for me is what he did after interception on Sunday. He kneeled down. He knew the situation, the time, etc and instead of trying to run it back for a TD or something, he just kneeled down and secured the win.

I noticed that too, but some credit has to go to a corner or safety that nearly tackled him trying to get him down :). Can't see his number in the replay.

gtexan02
10-21-2009, 12:59 PM
6 passes defended makes him 1st in the NFL among linebackers in that category. Thats pretty freaking impressive for a run stopper

BigBull17
10-21-2009, 01:00 PM
I think offensive red zone struggles have gotten better because they are trying to score from 20-30 yards out instead of getting all the way up to the goalline and being the usual ineffective offense. My observation anyway.

I think Mario is pretty hurt. 'bout 3 weeks that shoulder has been listed so he's gotta be less than 100%. His production has slipped for sure though. It'll be a nice boost for the whole D to get him screaming around the corners again.

Yeah, he is busting his ass, but he just isn't the same player right now.

gtexan02
10-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Just found the NFL.com stats by position category.

Cushing -
13th among LBs in tackles, 32nd in solos
1st among LBs with safeties
1st among LBs with PDs
6th among LBs with INTs
3rd among LBs with FFs

Wow

DexmanC
10-21-2009, 01:11 PM
I noticed that too, but some credit has to go to a corner or safety that nearly tackled him trying to get him down :). Can't see his number in the replay.

I've seen this game about 3 times already. It was Captain 'Meco who ordered
his soldier to GET DOWN!!!

JMacaroni
10-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Taking nothing away from Cush, Demeco was aiding him on that kneel down after the interception. DVR'd it and watched it a few times already like every game.

JMacaroni
10-21-2009, 01:45 PM

I apologize, I didn't read that beforehand.

noxiousdog
10-21-2009, 02:02 PM

Looked too small to me to be Demeco, but then most of the team looks small compared to Cushing :)