PDA

View Full Version : The revamped interior o-line

Maddict5
10-19-2009, 04:47 AM
il put the disclaimer that ive only watched the game once & wasnt keeping a specific eye on it but...

i think one of the biggest positives from yesterday was the new o-line. seemed to give schaub a nice amount of time in the passing game and made a few holes for slaton to mix some nice runs with the sea of no-gainers we had. neither caldwell or white didnt standout which is a good thing in your first start (ask GB's backup LT)

BigBull17
10-19-2009, 07:38 AM
Did you see White outrunning Slaton down the field on one of the screens? Impressive. I didn't see any real negatives from he or Caldwell.

NitroGSXR
10-19-2009, 07:44 AM
Did you see White outrunning Slaton down the field on one of the screens? Impressive. I didn't see any real negatives from he or Caldwell.

If you're talking about this happening in the third quarter... then I saw that. He didn't really outrun him but he sure did get up to the third level there! When he got there... he didn't block anybody. Slaton should have slowed down a little and allowed White to block.

TimeKiller
10-19-2009, 10:11 AM
All I need to know is on 4th and 2 they snuck it and got the 1st. When, when I say has this OL ever had 2 yards of push on a sneak?

Duane Brown had a hell of a game too. He hit that DB like a freight train way out to the left on Slaton's TD grab. Big, fast, carrying a big stick. Starting to look like a damn fine pick.

DiehardChris
10-19-2009, 10:13 AM
All I need to know is on 4th and 2 they snuck it and got the 1st. When, when I say has this OL ever had 2 yards of push on a sneak?

Duane Brown had a hell of a game too. He hit that DB like a freight train way out to the left on Slaton's TD grab. Big, fast, carrying a big stick. Starting to look like a damn fine pick.

Brown has been really good all year. One thing I really like about him is that when he has a bad play, he usually follows it up by putting his guy's ass on the ground.

HOU-TEX
10-19-2009, 10:19 AM
Our run blocking still stinks, but I reckon everybody knows my thoughts on that.

To keep it positive, I think our pass blocking and our ability to get outside on screens were great. Seeing Slaton cut back towards the inside in order to feed off DB's pancake block was a thing of beauty. It'd be hard to "execute" that play any better.

dalemurphy
10-19-2009, 10:28 AM
Our run blocking still stinks, but I reckon everybody knows my thoughts on that.

To keep it positive, I think our pass blocking and our ability to get outside on screens were great. Seeing Slaton cut back towards the inside in order to feed off DB's pancake block was a thing of beauty. It'd be hard to "execute" that play any better.

Our offense is the Philadelphia Eagles with better WRs. We can control the ball with the passing game. Use the screen game to incorporate the RBs and deter the blitzing and open up the running game with specialty runs and draws. That's where this offens is at. And, by the way, that's okay.

badboy
10-19-2009, 10:31 AM
We have an oline designed to PASS block and Kubes insisted on running the ball. This game plan allowed the Oline and the rest of the offense know they would go with their strengths. I think the line settled in and played with confidence in what they were expected to do.

HOU-TEX
10-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Our offense is the Philadelphia Eagles with better WRs. We can control the ball with the passing game. Use the screen game to incorporate the RBs and deter the blitzing and open up the running game with specialty runs and draws. That's where this offens is at. And, by the way, that's okay.

Possibly, but IMO, consistent teams can run the football when they need to in order to "put a game away". We can't do that yet. We had to rely on our defense to secure the W.

I'll take a W any way we can get it. I just think we must get the running game going sooner rather than later.

BigBull17
10-19-2009, 11:59 AM
If you're talking about this happening in the third quarter... then I saw that. He didn't really outrun him but he sure did get up to the third level there! When he got there... he didn't block anybody. Slaton should have slowed down a little and allowed White to block.

Yep, Steve could have made a cut and would have scored, me thinks. Great to see the guys get out on screens and make a difference.

BigBull17
10-19-2009, 12:00 PM
Possibly, but IMO, consistent teams can run the football when they need to in order to "put a game away". We can't do that yet. We had to rely on our defense to secure the W.

I'll take a W any way we can get it. I just think we must get the running game going sooner rather than later.

We did finish with the run, Brown iced the game.

HOU-TEX
10-19-2009, 12:02 PM
We did finish with the run, Brown iced the game.

Nah, Cushing's ability to create turnovers iced the game, especially his pick.....if you ask me.

dalemurphy
10-19-2009, 12:19 PM

2008 Pittsburgh Steelers
Andy Reid Philadelphia Eagles
2002? Oakland Raiders
2007 New England Patriots
Indianapolis Colts
Holmgren's Seahawks

Now, I would like to run the ball too. I believe running from the I formation and then play-action pass is great offensive football and the best way to run an offense. However, we just aren't there right now. And, I do realize that the offense can be successful with a different philosophy... clearly!

also, I think we can still run the ball. But, the philosophy of pounding it through 8 man fronts won't work. We can run successfully when we catch the defense in the right situation.

BigBull17
10-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Nah, Cushing's ability to create turnovers iced the game, especially his pick.....if you ask me.

Yeah, but when we needed to get a first down, we got it.