PDA

View Full Version : The Wild Card situation...

Air Canada
10-18-2009, 08:21 PM
After today's nice win...it appears everything is all topsy turvy and the Texans have gained ground...if we can't get the division from the Colts(not likely) we are in a great position to compete and win a wild card.

The Ravens lost to the Vikes on a missed field goal...3 losses in a row
The Jets lose in OT to the Bills on a field goal....3 losses in a row
The Jags won in OT against the Rams...

all 3 teams are knotted a 3-3 and the Texans are in a position that we need to take advantage of from this point forward...

Next up 49ers! Let's do this Houston!:texflag:

JCTexan
10-18-2009, 08:34 PM
After today's nice win...it appears everything is all topsy turvy and the Texans have gained ground...if we can't get the division from the Colts(not likely) we are in a great position to compete and win a wild card.

all 3 teams are knotted a 3-3 and the Texans are in a position that we need to take advantage of from this point forward...

It's way too early in the year for me to give up on the division, or to care if they're 1 or 2 games back in the wild card standings. Houston is three behind the Colts, but they still face each other two times. Not impossible to come back from that. I have the same feelings for the Texans as I do for the Longhorns: all they have to worry about is winning their games this early in the season.

Fox
10-18-2009, 08:34 PM
Cheer your butts off and enjoy the race while it lasts. ;)

C Madd
10-18-2009, 08:35 PM
I was just looking at this and was surprised. Don't forget San Diego, though, they're 2-2 going into tomorrow.

Also, the rest of the schedule isn't too bad, with the exception of the 2 Indy games and New England, so hopefully Houston will take advantage.

TexanBacker93
10-18-2009, 08:55 PM
I was just looking at this and was surprised. Don't forget San Diego, though, they're 2-2 going into tomorrow.

Also, the rest of the schedule isn't too bad, with the exception of the 2 Indy games and New England, so hopefully Houston will take advantage.

Personally, I'm hoping the Patriots have already clinched something by that time and sit everyone. I don't want to see them if something is on the line. The key going forward is to win the games at home. Win those and the Texans can at least be in position to in the hunt.

A lot of mediocrity amongst the AFC right now. A team looks good one week and struggles another. Outside of Indy nobody has looked unbeatable. The wildcards will be wide open to a multitude of teams. Only the Titans, the Chiefs, and the Browns should already be excluded. I think the Raiders and the Bills (both with victories today) have too many issues to really be a factor as well. So, that leaves 11 teams still in the hunt for those 6 playoff spots. That's why those 2 tough losses hurt so much. The Texans could be in a driver's seat for a spot instead of tied right now. But ... it is way too early in the season. There are a lot of games left and many things could still happen either way.

ObsiWan
10-18-2009, 09:01 PM
It's way too early in the year for me to give up on the division, or to care if they're 1 or 2 games back in the wild card standings. Houston is three behind the Colts, but they still face each other two times. Not impossible to come back from that. I have the same feelings for the Texans as I do for the Longhorns: all they have to worry about is winning their games this early in the season.

My sentiment ends right there. It's too early. Show some consistency. Let's roll 3 or 4 wins in a row. Then I'll let myself peek at the standings in an "can we make the playoffs" kinda way.

thunderkyss
10-18-2009, 09:08 PM

That's the best part of the schedule. We control our own destiny. Two wins against Indy will give us the tie breaker, if we need it for the division.

A win against the Patriots will probably give us the tie breaker for the wildcard.

gary
10-18-2009, 09:46 PM
I hope this thread is right but at best I see one win against Indy and unless a playoff spot is asured for NE by week 17 I don't see the Texans beating them. I don't mean to be a debby downer and hope I'm wrong. GO TEXANS

Texans80
10-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Let's take advantage. These next two games are key. I hope we're standing at 5-3 before our showdown in Indy!

m5kwatts
10-18-2009, 10:15 PM
Lets look at it this way:

The Locks // Division Winners for Sure

Colts, Broncos, Patriots

Wild Card Contenders/Iffy Division Lead

Steelers - Should win their division but started slow and tough division
Ravens - Really fallen off hard, how far do they fall?
Chargers - No pass rush, can't stop the run, iffy at running the ball
Texans - See Chargers, but more hope here and track record of playing better in the 2nd half of season
Jaguars - They're hanging around and will continue to, their schedule is easy kinda from here on but they lose games they should win
Dolphins - Henne basically in his rookie season right now, defense is very beatable and has been beat by bad offenses this year
Bengals - Weird team, very lucky for a stretch and came back to reality today, I don't think they're as good as they started the season and aren't as bad as today, probably an 8-8 team
Jets - Rookie Sanchez is coming back to reality and despite being a good blitzing team they're last in the NFL in sacks, lots of questions here and they're falling on hard times

TheRealJoker
10-18-2009, 10:17 PM
We have an excellent opportunity to be on a 3 game winning streak with momentum heading into Indy. That will give Reeves 4 games back in the lineup along with Quinn gaining experience and Pollard having more time as the starter and the defense should be hitting on all cylinders by then if we keep playing like they have been since the 2nd half of the Arizona game.

We've got a pissed off 49ers team that's had an extra week to prepare for us though and we need to look at them first and foremost.

utahmark
10-18-2009, 11:47 PM
We have an excellent opportunity to be on a 3 game winning streak with momentum heading into Indy. That will give Reeves 4 games back in the lineup along with Quinn gaining experience and Pollard having more time as the starter and the defense should be hitting on all cylinders by then if we keep playing like they have been since the 2nd half of the Arizona game.

We've got a pissed off 49ers team that's had an extra week to prepare for us though and we need to look at them first and foremost.

i'm not real happy about playing another team coming off a bye week. arizona sure looked good in the first half after having that extra week.

Norg
10-19-2009, 12:49 AM
thats the cards we been delt with

anywayz our divison is not out of reach we still play indy 2 times

we just need indy to implode a little

yes iam drinking that kool aid :chef:

Speedy
10-19-2009, 02:06 AM
The loss to Arizona hurts, but if you're going to lose, better that it's a non-conference team. This Cincy win was big because it helps in tie-breakers should it come to that. We're 3-2 in conference play.

Air Canada
10-19-2009, 03:38 AM
Who would've of thought the Jet's would start imploding a little bit....

I did! Sanchez was getting way too much love and I had feeling that things may start fallin apart. The media practically crowned them SB contenders...

:runaway:

hobie
10-19-2009, 07:41 AM
Wild Card?? Huh... They've only played 6 games, and already talks of playoffs...

Maddict5
10-19-2009, 07:59 AM
if indy lost a couple games it would make it interesting

gtexan02
10-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Man that loss to Arizona hurts. 4-2 would be so sweet right now

Insideop
10-19-2009, 10:46 AM
Aaaaah! It's so much nicer to come here on the MB after a win and hear all the talk of playoffs than to come here after a loss and hear all the negative whiners!

Anyway, I still think it's too early to speculate about the playoffs, but I like the way this Defense is starting to play. If they keep this up, and we continue to score the way we have and put a string of wins together, the talk of playoffs will take on some meaning. Now, if we can only find our running game .... :jogger:

thunderkyss
10-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Let's take advantage. These next two games are key. I hope we're standing at 5-3 before our showdown in Indy!

A win against San Francisco would be nice. For where the team & fans are emotionally. But post season wise, if we're going to pick which games we win/lose.... it would be better for us to win against Buffalo, an AFC team who may be looking at a Wildcard spot themselves in December.

Our biggest challenges coming up, is to beat Indy twice. If we both end up with 10 wins, that will put us in the play-offs as division champs.

If we split the games with Indy, the next tie breaker would be our record in the division.

They are 2-0 in the division. If we split, they'll be 3-1. If they also beat Jax & Ten a gain, they'll be 5-1.

We're 1-1. If we split, we'll be 2-2, and if we beat Jax & Ten, we'll be 4-2, we lose the tie breaker.

Our best hope, for post season play is to win out... so I guess SF is a key game... & win the rest of our division games. That's a 5 week stretch (including a bye) of back to back division games.

November 8th at Indy
Bye
November 23rd Monday Night @ Reliant... Tennessee (can't look past these guys)
November 29th Indy @ Reliant. it's a short week, but we've got to win it.
December 6 @ Jaxsonville....

If we can pull off a 4 game win streak in there.. 5 games, if we beat the Bills to start it off..... then finish the season with a win against Miami in Miami, & New England @ Reliant we'll either be the division champs, or looking pretty good for a wild-card.

I know 11-5 didn't get New England in last year. But how often does that happen.

I know you can't pick & choose which games you lose.

I'm just saying, best case scenario, next to winning out.. would be to win all our AFC games remaining on the schedule.

lostboy
10-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Wild Card?? Huh... They've only played 6 games, and already talks of playoffs...

Well....Could be the titans and be completely out of contention.....:lol:

BIG TORO
10-19-2009, 01:53 PM
you guys are making me very Football savvy!!! thanks

Air Canada
10-19-2009, 02:23 PM

Yeah, week to week we improve or worsen our position wouldn't you agree?

It's better to speak of how we can get in than to speak of no playoffs....:shades:

Texans_Chick
10-19-2009, 03:06 PM

Hey, we need to get our rooters right. You see, we are all out of practice given the slow starts and the no way they can win teams.

The Texans are a team that is good enough to win or lose to anyone. We obviously want more wins. Who knows, maybe they get on a roll.

One way or another, we not only have a team to root for but we have many teams to root against. Not just division games, but throughout the league.

So yeah, I was pretty happy to see the Ravens and Jets lose. The Texans have two games against the Colts, and with that team you never know--if anything ever happened to Manning that entire team could collapse into a pile of rancid goo.

Part of the fun of the NFL is rooting for and against. We've not had that experience too often so we need to practice getting our rooters right.

:fans::fans::fans:

TheRealJoker
10-20-2009, 11:37 AM

As it stands right now:

http://www.nfl.com/standings?category=conf

Division leaders are the Colts, Broncos, Bengals and Patriots.

Pittsburgh has the inside track on the 5th seed with a 4-2 record but tiebreaker goes to Cincinnati so they get bumped down to wild card. We would be best served with Pittsburgh winning the division and it coming down to a wildcard tiebreaker with Cincy if we cant catch the Colts.

Jaguars would have the 6th seed if the season were to end today. Its a 4 way tie between us, Jags, Jets and Ravens at 3-3. Jags win the tiebreaker against us and they have a superior conference and division record than the Jets and Ravens (I dont know which tiebreaker is used first when teams haven't played eachother yet).

The Dolphins had a bye week so they're sitting at 2-3 but look to be coming on strong the last two games and figure to factor into the race down the stretch. The Chargers already had a bye week and are 2-3 as well, they're still in the race but I dont think they're as big a threat as the Dolphins.

All we can do is keep winning. We've got a tough schedule down the stretch in that we've got Indy 2x, Miami on the road, New England at home and Jax on the road. But that's good because like someone said earlier it means we control our own destiny. We get to decide whether we're going to the playoffs instead of hoping certain teams lose all we need to do is beat whoever is in front of us and let the rest take care of itself.

All the teams mentioned in the last paragraph look to be in the playoff race so that means we've got 5 chances to gain tiebreakers outside of winning the nonconference games and beat the Tacks and Bills as well to grab a playoff spot outright. We can pull this off as long as our team shows up and plays consistent football!!!

TheRealJoker
10-20-2009, 11:42 AM
Playoff seeds as of right now:

1) Broncos 6-0

2) Colts 5-0

3) Bengals 4-2

4) Patriots 4-2

5) Steelers 4-2

6) Jaguars 3-3

Borderline:

7) Jets 3-3

8) Texans 3-3

9) Ravens 3-3

10) Dolphins 2-3

11) Chargers 2-3

Still in the hunt:

12) Raiders 2-4

13) Bills 2-4

On life support:

14) Browns 1-5

15) Chiefs 1-5

16) Titans 0-6 (Gotta love that goose egg!!!)

gtexan02
10-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Who to cheer for:

IND @ STL - Obvious choice, go Rams!
NE @ TB - I usually cheer for NFC teams, although if we assume the Patriots will win the division, it would better for them to secure it early enough that rest starters by the last game and increase our SOS with a win here
GB @ CLE - Cheering for NFC
MIN @ PIT - Cheering for NFC, also a pit loss and Texans win would tie us in WC race
SF @ HOU - Obvious
SD @ KC - SD has a chance at pulling into a wild card race, so having them pick up a 2-4 record would be great
BUF @ CAR - NFC Win
NYJ @ OAK - Oakland win would be better for our SOS and also put some serious hurt on the Jets
ATL @ DAL - Who cheers for the Cowboys? Not me
NO @ MIA - NFC Win again. Plus the Saints are cool this year
CHI @ CIN - Bengals loss helps move us up
ARI @ NYG - Cardinals win helps our SOS
PHI @ WAS - No direct measure here as far as I can tell

DexmanC
10-20-2009, 12:18 PM
To steal a line from Mike Singletary, "What I'm saying is THIS (10 sec pause)"

The Texans have talent enough to win EVERY GAME on their schedule. Last
year, after a 3-7 start thru 10 games, they went 5-1 and beat teams
looking to clinch wildcard spots. They were a Rosencopter and a decent
defense away from sweeping Indy last year.

This is the first year in which this team has PLUS talent on both sides of the
ball. The difference will be if they can figure themselves out early enough
to finish the season strong. 10 games left. They are good enough to go
9-1. However, they are also young enough to go 5-5. They need to
get that veteran mindset IN A HURRY.

Hey. It's almost mid season, and they are still in the race. They dominated
an AFC Division leader, with 3 wins over its division rivals, IN THEIR HOUSE.
Frank Bush's adjustments to the defense makes them a solid bunch. With
an offense like ours, THAT'S ALL THEY NEED.

But. We'll see.

TheRealJoker
10-20-2009, 12:20 PM
Gil Brandt's take in his live chat today:

Chris , California
12:05 PM ET
Since San Diego might not get to the playoffs, do you think Houston has a shot?
Brandt40x55
Gil Brandt, NFL.com
Yes, I do. San Diego has to be very careful this week, in fact, going into Kansas City. Five the San Diego's wins against the Chiefs this decade have been by a total of seven points, so it could be a close game.

The wild-card is certainly a jumble right now, and the Texans still have to play the Colts twice among others. But they are starting to play a lot better. They were very impressive against the bengals. The key is that Matt Schaub must stay healthy.

gary
10-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Man that loss to Arizona hurts. 4-2 would be so sweet right nowForege n t 4-2 for that matter. How about 5-1? That Jags game at home should have been a win. Watch them go to their house and beat them after losing to them at home. Eh, so upsetting but that's how things go in the world of sports.

Air Canada
10-22-2009, 06:09 AM
I know I'm crazy for doing this, but it goes with the thread....

I actually think we can have a chance to split with the Colts....I also believe 11-5 or 10-6 is very attainable looking at this schedule(with or without the Indy split)... if the defense can continue to play tough and improve like they are doing, then I think we are right there fighting for the wild card coming down to the wire.:thisbig:

Now this is just a early look and see at this point, but....

I believe the Colts, Broncos, Pats, and Steelers all win their divisions.

Then it will come down to the Bengals or Ravens, and Texans for the wild card spots.... I like our chances to keep pace with them...

The Jets are going to implode again IMO, with Sanchez playing like a "rookie" struggling and them losing Kris Jenkins(that is HUGE)...I think they are done...just wait and see...

:fans:

devo-x
10-22-2009, 11:58 PM
Let's hope that the Texans stop being inconsistent and start consistently imposing their will (winning) on the other team

ReliantTexan
10-23-2009, 12:26 AM
Forege n t 4-2 for that matter. How about 5-1? That Jags game at home should have been a win. Watch them go to their house and beat them after losing to them at home. Eh, so upsetting but that's how things go in the world of sports.Look at it this way,the two teams who will probably be in the WC hunt with us also had some tough losses. Of course Stokley last second TD against Cinn, and then the Ravens could be looking at 5-1 if not for a drop and a missed FG. Makes me feel somewhat better I guess.:tiphat:

Norg
10-23-2009, 12:29 AM
Umm when was the last time Matt played the colts if i remember Sage played the colts both times last year ?????

will he fair better Sage was ripping the colts up last year intill the end

dalemurphy
10-23-2009, 12:30 AM
Look at it this way,the two teams who will probably be in the WC hunt with us also had some tough losses. Of course Stokley last second TD against Cinn, and then the Ravens could be looking at 5-2 if not for a drop and a missed FG. Makes me feel somewhat better I guess.:tiphat:

When we are 5-3 and traveling to Indy then I will be going out of my mind. I may have to hide under the covers during that game. Turns out that I don't have the stomach for all of this. I miss being a young expansion team without expectations...

I was an Atlanta Braves' fan since I was about 5 years old. I think the 90s' ruined me. My heart simply can't take these high risk situations anymore. Perhaps I should root for a cute and really pathetic team again... like the TITANS!!!

Air Canada
10-23-2009, 12:58 AM
When we are 5-3 and traveling to Indy then I will be going out of my mind. I may have to hide under the covers during that game. Turns out that I don't have the stomach for all of this. I miss being a young expansion team without expectations...

I was an Atlanta Braves' fan since I was about 5 years old. I think the 90s' ruined me. My heart simply can't take these high risk situations anymore. Perhaps I should root for a cute and really pathetic team again... like the TITANS!!!

THE TITANS!!! NO!! NEVERRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:aggressive:

DexmanC
10-23-2009, 02:39 AM
I just heard an interview on 610 with Mario Williams given by N.D. Kalu.
I had no idea how much a student of the game Mario Williams is. What
gives me hope about this defense, and the team in general, is that Smith/
Kubiak have drafted a core of young film addicts.

The leadership, with more experience, WILL turn this team into a consistent
winner. I heard about how Cushing shows up HOURS before practice, just
to study film. When he's not practicing, he's taking "mental reps." Mario
said to N.D. that Frank Bush's scheme is more aggressive, but it's simple
enough for guys to pick up. The difference in the last 3 games, is that
guys now understand if they stay in THEIR gaps, and do THEIR jobs, then
the rest will take care of itself.

They've gone from playing like an all-time worst team in NFL history, to
one of the best defenses in the league. Also. Just take a look at the
Titans. They started 0-5, and COMPLETELY QUIT in that game at
New England.

The Texans started 0-4, then 3-7 last season. They FOUGHT like rabid
dogs to go 5-1 down the stretch to finish 8-8. They were a Rosencopter,
a Raiders game, and a Hurricane away from finishing 11-5 or better. The
talent on THIS year's team is MUCH greater. Jacoby was NOT a receiver.
Amobi was in a sophomore slump, and #56 was worn by Greenwood instead
of Cushing. Diles got hurt after the first Colts game.

11-5 for this team is NOT a reach. When they face adversity, they DON'T
QUIT. The day that happens is the day Kubiak will be fired. Record be
damned.

CloakNNNdagger
10-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Interesting take by the Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/875/story/1525039.html#).

With league playoffs in mind, what follows is a snapshot of teams that could come up big down the stretch, especially Weeks 14-16, based on current defensive trends and shootout implications.

Feel very confident

Houston Texans: The prolific aerial attack, led by quarterback Matt Schaub, will enjoy tremendous success in Weeks 11-16 against the Tennessee Titans, Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Seattle Seahawks, St. Louis Rams and Miami Dolphins. You may have to pay a heavy price, but trading for any piece of the Houston passing game and this includes running back Steve Slaton is strongly recommended if you have the depth to pull it off. This stretch schedule is too good to be true.

MojoMan
10-23-2009, 06:13 PM
Interesting take by the Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/875/story/1525039.html#).

With league playoffs in mind, what follows is a snapshot of teams that could come up big down the stretch, especially Weeks 14-16, based on current defensive trends and shootout implications.

Good post, except that we close the season here against New England. I think that must be games 10-15.

gary
10-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Just win and they'll get in.

brakos82
10-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Good post, except that we close the season here against New England. I think that must be games 10-15.

Most FFL's end in week 16 anyways.

CloakNNNdagger
10-23-2009, 06:19 PM

Back atcha.......good catch.

JB
10-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Feel very confident

Houston Texans: The prolific aerial attack, led by quarterback Matt Schaub, will enjoy tremendous success in Weeks 11-16 against the Tennessee Titans, Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Seattle Seahawks, St. Louis Rams and Miami Dolphins. You may have to pay a heavy price, but trading for any piece of the Houston passing game and this includes running back Steve Slaton is strongly recommended if you have the depth to pull it off. This stretch schedule is too good to be true.

Yes, weeks 11-16...games 10-15 for us.

Kaiser Toro
10-23-2009, 10:48 PM

There are 17 weeks in a NFL season with 16 games to be played.

Kaiser Toro
10-23-2009, 10:51 PM
Yes, weeks 11-16...games 10-15 for us.

Just saw yours, nice catch.

JDizzle
10-23-2009, 11:21 PM
And the line between ffb and reality continues to blur.

brakos82
10-23-2009, 11:27 PM
And the line between ffb and reality continues to blur.

What line? I just see a faint blob. :photos:

DocBar
10-23-2009, 11:37 PM
If we tie with the Jets, we lose. They own the tie breaker. We better beat the Jags or ditto. It's way too early to worry about the Ravens. One game at a time, mates. If we lose to the 9ers, does it really even matter? We used up our mulligans against the Cards and Jags. We should've won those games, but didn't. That narrows the margin of error considerably.

DerekLee1
10-23-2009, 11:43 PM
Man that loss to Arizona hurts. 4-2 would be so sweet right now

The loss to J-ville hurts worse.

Air Canada
10-23-2009, 11:44 PM
If we tie with the Jets, we lose. They own the tie breaker. We better beat the Jags or ditto. It's way too early to worry about the Ravens. One game at a time, mates. If we lose to the 9ers, does it really even matter? We used up our mulligans against the Cards and Jags. We should've won those games, but didn't. That narrows the margin of error considerably.

Yeah, I'm expecting the Jets to collapse anyways especially without Jenkins....they are looking more like it....I won't be surprised if the Raiders beat the Jets as for some reason, the Jets struggle against Oakland. That will be 4 losses in a row...

We gotta beat the Jags next time, but right now my eyes are the Niners and taking care of business at home. We can maybe still lose about 3 more games at best and the 49ers cannot be one of them. We still have the Colts twice and we need to be 5-3 going into that game IMO.

MojoMan
10-23-2009, 11:45 PM

If we lose to the 49ers, it is sack cloth and ashes for the lot of us for the rest of the season.

Air Canada
10-23-2009, 11:48 PM
The loss to J-ville hurts worse.

That lost hurts more in the standings, but the lost that hurts the most for me personally is Arizona...Man, I wanted us to finish that comeback! Oh, well...let's give it San Fran!...:bat:

utahmark
10-25-2009, 05:44 PM
Who to cheer for:

IND @ STL - Obvious choice, go Rams!
NE @ TB - I usually cheer for NFC teams, although if we assume the Patriots will win the division, it would better for them to secure it early enough that rest starters by the last game and increase our SOS with a win here
GB @ CLE - Cheering for NFC
MIN @ PIT - Cheering for NFC, also a pit loss and Texans win would tie us in WC race
SF @ HOU - Obvious
SD @ KC - SD has a chance at pulling into a wild card race, so having them pick up a 2-4 record would be great
BUF @ CAR - NFC Win
NYJ @ OAK - Oakland win would be better for our SOS and also put some serious hurt on the Jets
ATL @ DAL - Who cheers for the Cowboys? Not me
NO @ MIA - NFC Win again. Plus the Saints are cool this year
CHI @ CIN - Bengals loss helps move us up
ARI @ NYG - Cardinals win helps our SOS
PHI @ WAS - No direct measure here as far as I can tell

basically none of that happened. except our win.

gtexan02
10-26-2009, 11:36 AM
Current Division Leaders:

NWE - 5-2
Cincinnati - 5-2
Indianapolis - 6-0
Denver - 6-0

Current WildCard Standings:
1. Pittsburgh - 5-2 (1-1 in division, holds tie breaker over SD)
2. NYJ - 4-3 (1-2 in division, holds tie breaker over Houston, NWE)
3. Houston - 4-3 (1-1 in division, holds tie breaker over Cinci)
4. Baltimore - 3-3 (1-1 in division, holds tie breaker over SD)
5. Jacksonville - 3-3 (1-1 in division, holds tie breaker over Houston)
6. San Diego - 3-3 (2-1 in division)

Upcoming games:
Who to Cheer For

Houston at Buffalo - Obvious
Cleveland at Chicago - Go NFC
Seattle at Dallas - Improves our SOS
St. Louis at Detroit - Improves our SOS
Denver at Baltimore - Assuming they are favorite to win division
San Francisco at Indianapolis - AFC South Loss = good
Miami at NY Jets - Jets hold tie breaker against us
NY Giants at Philadelphia - Doesn't matter
Jacksonville at Tennessee - Jax holds a tie breaker against us
Oakland at San Diego - Hurts SDs chances of competing for WC
Carolina at Arizona - Improves our SOS
Minnesota at Green Bay - Doesn't matter
Atlanta at New Orleans - Doesn't matter

Air Canada
10-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Current Division Leaders:

NWE - 5-2
Cincinnati - 5-2
Indianapolis - 6-0
Denver - 6-0

Current WildCard Standings:
1. Pittsburgh - 5-2 (1-1 in division, holds tie breaker over SD)
2. NYJ - 4-3 (1-2 in division, holds tie breaker over Houston, NWE)
3. Houston - 4-3 (1-1 in division, holds tie breaker over Cinci)
4. Baltimore - 3-3 (1-1 in division, holds tie breaker over SD)
5. Jacksonville - 3-3 (1-1 in division, holds tie breaker over Houston)
6. San Diego - 3-3 (2-1 in division)

Good....

I plan to update this thread each week....after every win hopefully.

Right now we are right in the thick of it and we just need to keep winning and stay with or close to the Jets.

I believe that only one team will come out of the AFC North division and I expect that to be decided between them as Cincy still has to play the Ravens and Pitt again.

Upcoming games:
Who to Cheer For

Houston at Buffalo - Obvious
Cleveland at Chicago - Go NFC
Seattle at Dallas - Improves our SOS
St. Louis at Detroit - Improves our SOS
Denver at Baltimore - Assuming they are favorite to win division
San Francisco at Indianapolis - AFC South Loss = good
Miami at NY Jets - Jets hold tie breaker against us
NY Giants at Philadelphia - Doesn't matter
Jacksonville at Tennessee - Jax holds a tie breaker against us
Oakland at San Diego - Hurts SDs chances of competing for WC
Carolina at Arizona - Improves our SOS
Minnesota at Green Bay - Doesn't matter
Atlanta at New Orleans - Doesn't matter

We gotta take care of the Bills this week of course.

The lopsided games I don't really care about if they improve our SOS that's pointless...

I agree with the rest...

-We need Baltimore to lose and fall further out of the race and Denver has a good hold on their division so we may as well pick them.

-Go Niners this week, I doubt there chances, but any given Sunday

-GO DOLPHINS! A win from them will help us out a alot and put the Jets behind the standings especially since they hold the tie-breaker.

-Raiders have a possible chance "if" they play like they did in their first meeting. This will help us, but the Jets losing is most crucial.

Air Canada
11-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Okay well it's another week and the Wild card situation is back.

I'm gonna take a look at how things turned out this Sunday.

-Texans get a huge win on the road to go 5-3 for the first time ever
-Colts pull out a win over the Niners and that sets up our showdown with them in Indy.

-Jets lose to Miami and fall to 4-4, they own the tiebreaker against us, but that loss gives us an advantage since we are a game up on them now.

Broncos lost to the Ravens and that puts Baltimore back in the picture at 4-3

At the moment the Titans are beating the Jags and it would help us for that to continue. Also the Chargers are playing the Raiders and we all should root for a Raiders upset.

A look at the wild card race this week...

Texans: 5-3

Jags: ??-3 or 3-??...TBD...

Chargers: ??-3 or 3-??...TBD...

Ravens: 4-3

Jets: 4-4

Dolphins: 3-4

brakos82
11-01-2009, 05:23 PM
You forgot the 5-2 Steelers.

but still, :fans: .

Air Canada
11-01-2009, 05:32 PM
You forgot the 5-2 Steelers.

but still, :fans: .

Yeah, I didn't mention them cuz they are on bye this week and their position couldn't change this week, but they are right with Cincy at the top of the AFC North with Cincy having the tiebreaker. So yes they are in control of at least 1 WC spot at the moment, but we are in control of the other. :bender:

Ryan
11-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Plus Pittsburgh will end up winning the division anyway i think and we have tiebreaker on the Bungles.

PHAROAH
11-01-2009, 08:12 PM
I'm excited that we are in this position at 5-3 and to be able to compete for a playoff berth is what we have been waiting on.

Go Texans!!!!

Air Canada
11-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Okay well it's another week and the Wild card situation is back.

I'm gonna take a look at how things turned out this Sunday.

-Texans get a huge win on the road to go 5-3 for the first time ever
-Colts pull out a win over the Niners and that sets up our showdown with them in Indy.

-Jets lose to Miami and fall to 4-4, they own the tiebreaker against us, but that loss gives us an advantage since we are a game up on them now.

Broncos lost to the Ravens and that puts Baltimore back in the picture at 4-3

At the moment the Titans are beating the Jags and it would help us for that to continue. Also the Chargers are playing the Raiders and we all should root for a Raiders upset.

Texans: 5-3

Jags: 3-4

Chargers: 4-3

Ravens: 4-3

Dolphins: 3-4

Just to update that....

thunderkyss
11-02-2009, 07:22 AM
There's still a lot of football left... this is a good thread. But I don't think we should "give up" on the division. It's still possible for us to win the division.

TexanBacker93
11-02-2009, 08:00 AM
There's still a lot of football left... this is a good thread. But I don't think we should "give up" on the division. It's still possible for us to win the division.

Sweeping the Colts would be a great way to claim ownership of the division. We'd still need the Colts to lose another game somewhere else, though. What we really need is to get Jacksonville to sub out their uniforms and come in wearing University of Florida garb. Manning never could beat the Gators.

TexanBacker93
11-02-2009, 08:04 AM
I'm just ecstatic that we can still realistically talk about the possibility of playoffs after the 8 game mark. There's a lot of football to be played, but it's better to be one of the 6 to go to the playoffs if the season ended right now, than to know we're already out of it.

dalemurphy
11-02-2009, 08:25 AM
For the sake of this thread right now, let's assume Pittsburgh wins the north. Let's assume the Jets (no more Jenkins and swept by Miami) are done and Jacksonville has no prayer because they suck.

Cincinnati 5-2
v. Baltimore
@ Pittsburgh
@ Oakland
v. Cleveland
v. Detroit
@ Minnesota
@ San Diego
v. K C
@ NyJets

Baltimore 4-3
@ Cincinnati
@ Cleveland
v. Indy
v. Pittsburgh
@ GB
v. Detroit
v. Chicago
@ Pittsburgh
@ Oakland

San Diego 4-3
@ NYGiants
v. Phillie
@ Denver
v. KC
@ Cleveland
@ Dallas
v. Cincy
@ Tennessee
v. Washington

Miami 3-4
@ NE
v. TB
@ Carolina
@ Buffalo
v. NE
@ Jacksonville
@ Tennessee
v. Houston
v. Pittsburgh

2010 NFL Champion Houston Texans 5-3
@ Indy
BYE
v. Tennessee
v. Indy
@ Jacksonville
v. Seattle
@ St Louis
@ Miami
v. NE

DexmanC
11-02-2009, 08:31 AM
Sweeping the Colts would be a great way to claim ownership of the division. We'd still need the Colts to lose another game somewhere else, though. What we really need is to get Jacksonville to sub out their uniforms and come in wearing University of Florida garb. Manning never could beat the Gators.

The Colts have played all hambones until the 49ers game yesterday.
They still have to face the Bengals, Jets, Dolphins, Patriots, and the
Texans twice. Their closing schedule is considerably tougher than ours,
so they're NOT going undefeated. The scary thing about them is they
now have the #1 ranked defense in the NFL to go along with Peyton.

thunderkyss
11-02-2009, 09:52 AM
@ Indy
BYE
v. Tennessee
v. Indy
@ Jacksonville
v. Seattle
@ St Louis
@ Miami
v. NE

Let's not count the Titans & Jags....

I don't know what happened. I didn't watch the game. But CJ had over 200 yards rushing??

They scored 30??

& Seattle doesn't look bad. Teams like Seattle, Miami, Houston.... I think it's too early to "predict" what will happen in the future, they're still growing, and progressing every week.

thunderkyss
11-02-2009, 09:53 AM

Thankyou.

We can still win the division.

bckey
11-02-2009, 10:26 AM

I don't know what Colts schedule you were looking at but it wasn't 2009. The Colts beat the Dolphins already with only about 15 minutes of possession time for the entire game. The Dolphins had the ball 45 minutes but still couldn't put them away. They don't have the Bengals this year either but they do have the Ravens and Broncos. Colts schedule below.

Games played

9/13 JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS 14 - 12 W
2 9/21 @ Miami Dolphins 27 - 23 W
3 9/27 @ Arizona Cardinals 31 - 10 W
4 10/4 SEATTLE SEAHAWKS 34 - 17 W
5 10/11 @ Tennessee Titans 31 - 9
6 10/18 BYE - none
7 10/25 @ St. Louis Rams 42 - 6 W
8 11/1 SAN FRANCISCO 18 - 14 w

Games yet to play

9 11/8 HOUSTON TEXANS
10 11/15 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
11 11/22 @ Baltimore Ravens
12 11/29 @ Houston Texans
13 12/6 TENNESSEE TITANS
14 12/13 DENVER BRONCOS
15 12/17 @ Jacksonville Jaguars
16 12/27 NEW YORK JETS
17 1/3 @ Buffalo Bills

dalemurphy
11-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Let's not count the Titans & Jags....

I don't know what happened. I didn't watch the game. But CJ had over 200 yards rushing??

They scored 30??

& Seattle doesn't look bad. Teams like Seattle, Miami, Houston.... I think it's too early to "predict" what will happen in the future, they're still growing, and progressing every week.

I was just highlighting the tough opponents. I wasn't predicting wins or losses, just trying to give a snapshot at the strength of schedule for these teams.

TexCanada
11-02-2009, 10:35 AM
We just need to look at our own games. We need to win 2 of 4 against indy (x2), NE, and Miami, and we need to win all of the rest. If we do that and still don't make playoffs, I will be dissapointed but very happy with our year.

dalemurphy
11-02-2009, 10:42 AM
We just need to look at our own games. We need to win 2 of 4 against indy (x2), NE, and Miami, and we need to win all of the rest. If we do that and still don't make playoffs, I will be dissapointed but very happy with our year.

11-5 gets us in without a doubt.
10-6 likely gets us in, particularly if we beat Miami.

Cincinnati, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, SD all have a lot of games against each other, in addtion to playing some other difficult opponents. There is no way that all 3 teams from the north finish with 11 wins... and, we have the head to head tiebreaker against Cincy. 10 wins looks real good! check out the remaining schedules I posted a few posts back.

DexmanC
11-02-2009, 11:11 AM
I don't know what Colts schedule you were looking at but it wasn't 2009. The Colts beat the Dolphins already with only about 15 minutes of possession time for the entire game. The Dolphins had the ball 45 minutes but still couldn't put them away. They don't have the Bengals this year either but they do have the Ravens and Broncos. Colts schedule below.

Games played

9/13 JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS 14 - 12 W
2 9/21 @ Miami Dolphins 27 - 23 W
3 9/27 @ Arizona Cardinals 31 - 10 W
4 10/4 SEATTLE SEAHAWKS 34 - 17 W
5 10/11 @ Tennessee Titans 31 - 9
6 10/18 BYE - none
7 10/25 @ St. Louis Rams 42 - 6 W
8 11/1 SAN FRANCISCO 18 - 14 w

Games yet to play

9 11/8 HOUSTON TEXANS
10 11/15 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
11 11/22 @ Baltimore Ravens
12 11/29 @ Houston Texans
13 12/6 TENNESSEE TITANS
14 12/13 DENVER BRONCOS
15 12/17 @ Jacksonville Jaguars
16 12/27 NEW YORK JETS
17 1/3 @ Buffalo Bills

I stand corrected. I forgot about the Dolphins game, then you add
two even TOUGHER teams than the ones I mentioned in the Broncos
and Ravens. My point remains the same. Their closing schedule is
BRUTAL, and I expect them to lose AT LEAST once. They still play
the Titans again, and they've always played close with Vince Young
under center. The dude can convert 1st downs easier than most
quarterbacks I've seen, although as a passer he sucks.

Air Canada
11-02-2009, 11:45 AM

I believe we can and the division would be nice, but until we are in a position to do that I will focus on the WC....That's why I made this thread.

For the sake of this thread right now, let's assume Pittsburgh wins the north. Let's assume the Jets (no more Jenkins and swept by Miami) are done and Jacksonville has no prayer because they suck.

Cincinnati 5-2
v. Baltimore
@ Pittsburgh
@ Oakland
v. Cleveland
v. Detroit
@ Minnesota
@ San Diego
v. K C
@ NyJets

Baltimore 4-3
@ Cincinnati
@ Cleveland
v. Indy
v. Pittsburgh
@ GB
v. Detroit
v. Chicago
@ Pittsburgh
@ Oakland

San Diego 4-3
@ NYGiants
v. Phillie
@ Denver
v. KC
@ Cleveland
@ Dallas
v. Cincy
@ Tennessee
v. Washington

Miami 3-4
@ NE
v. TB
@ Carolina
@ Buffalo
v. NE
@ Jacksonville
@ Tennessee
v. Houston
v. Pittsburgh

@ Indy
BYE
v. Tennessee
v. Indy
@ Jacksonville
v. Seattle
@ St Louis
@ Miami
v. NE

We can't assume any of that, I believe the Jets are done and will continue to fall, but until they do.... they are still in the discussion.

The Bengals have just as good a chance at winning that division as the Steelers so we have to see how the games play out with them and the Ravens the rest of the way, but no way I see all 3 making the playoffs.

This week we play Indy.... A win would be huge in the WC and help out our divisional hopes.

Week 9

Ravens-Bengals: We should root for the Ravens here, but a Ravens win may bunch up that division and we don't have a tiebreaker over them like the Bengals so a Cincy win may not really be that bad either.

Chiefs-Jags: Go Chiefs! Although I think the Jaguars are gonna continue to fall regardless it helps us.

Dolphins-Pats: Root for the Patriots, but if the Dolphins win it won't be that bad as they will only be 4-4 and we still play them later.

Chargers-Giants: Go Gmen! They don't wanna lose 4 in a row and a loss for the Chargers only pulls them further out of the WC race.

Steelers-Broncos: MNF game.... I guess we should root for Pitt here, but this game doesn't effect us much. It all comes down to whether or not the Bengals win their game Sunday.

Yankee_In_TX
11-02-2009, 11:49 AM
You know what - screw it. We've stunk too long, and I have a defeatest attitude.

Let's be winners, damnit. Let's beat the Colts w/out OD. Period.

TexCanada
11-02-2009, 11:53 AM
You know what - screw it. We've stunk too long, and I have a defeatest attitude.

Let's be winners, damnit. Let's beat the Colts w/out OD. Period.

Hell yeah!! Let's take care of our own business and everything else will sort itself out.

swisher
11-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Let's not worry about anyone else and just win out.

But seriously, this is so much fun. It really makes the other games so much more interesting to watch when it directly effects the Texans. I was a huge Dolphins fan yesterday and for the first time in my life I was happy the Titans won...weird.

dalemurphy
11-02-2009, 12:47 PM
It's going to be a fun party three weeks from tonight!!!

TheRealJoker
11-08-2009, 08:18 PM
The Chargers just took the 6th seed from us with a win tonight. There are 3 teams under us with a record of 4-4. If the Jags and Jets win next week we'll drop two more spots without having played a game.

GNTLEWOLF
11-08-2009, 08:25 PM
The Chargers just took the 6th seed from us with a win tonight. There are 3 teams under us with a record of 4-4. If the Jags and Jets win next week we'll drop two more spots without having played a game.

I'm not really surprised... but then again I was not a person who believed this team was play-off caliber...

TheRealJoker
11-08-2009, 08:30 PM
I'm not really surprised... but then again I was not a person who believed this team was play-off caliber...

Yet another poster we dont see after the team wins bagged and tagged.

imatexan
11-09-2009, 02:08 AM

Well I guess you will be "suprised" when they make the playoffs.

I wont be.

Air Canada
11-09-2009, 02:37 AM
I guess it's time to update the Wild Card situation once again....

Here's how things turned out for us this Sunday. Not too good let's just say....

-Texans get a tough loss on the road to the Colts/zebras and drop to 5-4 on the season.

-Miami loses to the Pats which sorta helps since it pushes them further out of the race as they fall to 3-5, we play them later this season.

-Ravens lose to the Bengals on the road and Cincy is in control at the top of that division.

-Jags won and that helps us none, but we do get to take care of them later this season.

Texans: 5-4

Jags: 4-4

Chargers: 5-3

Ravens: 4-4

Steelers: 5-2

We need to root against the Ravens, Jets, and Chargers especially....in the coming weeks....

ATXtexanfan
11-09-2009, 05:11 AM
Watching the giants fall hurt as much as our loss to indi. Chasing san diego for wild card

Air Canada
11-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Well, it's the bye week and our team will be getting ready for the MNF game with the Titans.

This is how things are looking for this Sunday...

-The Bengals(6-2) will play the Steelers(6-2) on the road.

I guess it would slightly benefit us if Pitt were to win since we hold the possible tie-breaker with Cincy and if they were to have a slide a lose some games in the coming weeks this could help us. If the Bengals win it doesn't hurt much, but it doesn't help any either.

-Buccaneers(1-7) play the Dolphins(3-5) in Miami.

A Tampa Bay upset would help further eliminate the Fins from WC contention and help the Texans, but if Miami wins it doesn't really hurt since they are already below .500 and we play them later.

-The Jags(4-4) vs. the Jets(4-4)...

Two .500 teams that both beat us will play this week and if you had to pick one that we would like to win I think it would have to be Jacksonville. Although they are in our division we get to play them again and we don't get to play the Jets again. If the Jets finish with the same record as us then we are screwed so go JAGS! :splits:
(Just this Sunday...)

-Eagles(5-3) play the Chargers(5-3) in SD...

Go Philly...could be a bounce back game for them and it would help us a ton if they put the Chargers at 5-4 since that's where we are currently and they are a prime contender for a WC with us so a loss for them in a week we don't even play would be a great thing.:cool:

-Pats(6-2) and Colts(8-0) in Indy....

You would go for the Pats, but it's likely it won't matter as the division is almost out of our reach and the wild card is our best bet regardless.:tiphat:

MNF: Ravens(4-4) vs. Browns(1-7)....

This game is in Cleveland and well it's a horrible game, the fact that it's even on MNF is dumb, but go Browns! A crazy upset here would push Balt back down a notch out of the WC race.

Well, that's the Wild Card situation for our bye week...:texflag:

NitroGSXR
11-11-2009, 06:22 PM

You would go for the Pats, but it's likely it won't matter as the division is almost out of our reach and the wild card is our best bet regardless.:tiphat:

Oh I'm gunning for the Patriots all the way. I want them to be resting their starters when they play us! I think we'll still be in contention by then and have a must win against them. Anything to make it easier on us!

Atl Cav
11-12-2009, 05:24 PM
We are about to go on a tear so it will be fun to watch the contenders fall behind us.

Air Canada
11-12-2009, 06:26 PM
Oh I'm gunning for the Patriots all the way. I want them to be resting their starters when they play us! I think we'll still be in contention by then and have a must win against them. Anything to make it easier on us!

I guess I see where your going with that, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats still play their guys as Belichick has a tendency to do so at times.

Insideop
11-12-2009, 06:52 PM

You would go for the Pats, but it's likely it won't matter as the division is almost out of our reach and the wild card is our best bet regardless.

Crazier things have happened. Just look at the Bronco's and Chargers last year. But, regardless of what happens to other teams in the coming weeks, we need to take care of our own business. One team at a time!

Air Canada
11-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Crazier things have happened. Just look at the Bronco's and Chargers last year. But, regardless of what happens to other teams in the coming weeks, we need to take care of our own business. One team at a time!

That's still completely different though since 8-8 did it in that division last year and the Colts are 8-0 in our division....Indy would have to implode the 2nd half of the season and there's not much history of them doing so.

Air Canada
11-12-2009, 07:22 PM
We are about to go on a tear so it will be fun to watch the contenders fall behind us.

No problem, here is my thread on it that I will update each week...:tiphat:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65970

TexCanada
11-12-2009, 07:28 PM
We all need to cheer like hell for Philly this weekend. The chargers are the dangerous team in this race for us. It not all that unlikely that SD finishes with 10-11 wins, and that could be a big problem for us as one wild card seems like its fairly locked in with Pitt or Cincy. Hopefully Cincy will drop a couple of games from here on in too.

TheRealJoker
11-12-2009, 08:41 PM
We all need to cheer like hell for Philly this weekend. The chargers are the dangerous team in this race for us. It not all that unlikely that SD finishes with 10-11 wins, and that could be a big problem for us as one wild card seems like its fairly locked in with Pitt or Cincy. Hopefully Cincy will drop a couple of games from here on in too.

Denver has a decent chance at imploding down the stretch with a rookie HC and personnel from last season who dropped 4 straight down the stretch when all they needed was one to make the playoffs. If SD beats Philly, we're gonna need to start rooting for them to take the division and Denver to implode down the stretch. SD has such a talented team and it looks like they're just hitting their stride. I dont see them imploding.

TexCanada
11-12-2009, 09:18 PM
Denver has a decent chance at imploding down the stretch with a rookie HC and personnel from last season who dropped 4 straight down the stretch when all they needed was one to make the playoffs. If SD beats Philly, we're gonna need to start rooting for them to take the division and Denver to implode down the stretch. SD has such a talented team and it looks like they're just hitting their stride. I dont see them imploding.

Ya thats true, it will really depend on who wins when they play each other next weekend. Denver has a few easy games on their schedule, including KC twice, Oakland and Washington, so they are looking at at least 10 wins as well even if they lose to the decent teams they play.

thunderkyss
11-13-2009, 03:27 PM
That's still completely different though since 8-8 did it in that division last year and the Colts are 8-0 in our division....Indy would have to implode the 2nd half of the season and there's not much history of them doing so.

Indy is a much better team, but NYGiants are on a 4 game skid aren't they?

The 49ers lost 3 in a row.

This will only be Indy's second game against a team with a winning record this year. Then they have a few more on the way.

Plus a Rex Ryan NYJets team on the horizon as well.

BIG TORO
11-13-2009, 03:40 PM

I think pittsburg and cinncinatti are both getting a spot so that only leaves one wild card spot and the big problem is going to be SD and Baltimore because jets have a pretty hard schedule coming up.

spurstexanstros
11-13-2009, 05:16 PM
"If the Texans do their best...Gawwwwd will do the rest." paraphrasing a speech I heard from Avery Johnson.

Texans just need to win their games...bottom line. and Monday night we need to be there to help them start a new streak.

Corrosion
11-13-2009, 05:39 PM

They may have their division wrapped up .... But will they have their playoff seeding settled ? They may be fighting it out with either the Bungles , Steelers , Dolts , Bronco's or Chargers for positioning in that final week .... They arent as dominant record wise as they have been in the past. I have a feeling this game will mean something to both teams. It wont be a gimmie ....

gary
11-13-2009, 06:37 PM
I say the Texans just win as many games as possiable and let justice speak on it's own.

HJam72
11-14-2009, 05:01 AM
I say the Texans just win as many games as possiable and let justice speak on it's own.

No! Not more Richard Justice. :headhurts:

brakos82
11-14-2009, 12:20 PM
No! Not more Richard Justice. :headhurts:

:francis:

Maddict5
11-14-2009, 01:12 PM

i still havent given up on the division yet- mainly because i have money on it! :)

but seriously- the colts could be facing a 3 game defeat streak: v pats, @ ravens and @ reliant. after week 12, it could still be quite easily the 8-3 colts being chased by the 7-4 texans.... and then all bets are off (or back on in my case!)

Air Canada
11-14-2009, 05:15 PM
i still havent given up on the division yet- mainly because i have money on it! :)

but seriously- the colts could be facing a 3 game defeat streak: v pats, @ ravens and @ reliant. after week 12, it could still be quite easily the 8-3 colts being chased by the 7-4 texans.... and then all bets are off (or back on in my case!)

Yeah, but even so we would need them to lose those 3 and then also finish with a better overall record then them since they hold the tiebreakers. We would probaly have to win out as well.

TheRealJoker
11-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Yeah, but even so we would need them to lose those 3 and then also finish with a better overall record then them since they hold the tiebreakers. We would probaly have to win out as well.

What order are the tiebreakers if we split with them? Does it then move to division record and then to conference record?

Air Canada
11-14-2009, 05:51 PM
What order are the tiebreakers if we split with them? Does it then move to division record and then to conference record?

Yep, that's right it goes by head to head first, then division is next, and so on.

HJam72
11-14-2009, 07:44 PM

No time better than the present. :fans:

Air Canada
11-14-2009, 09:05 PM
No time better than the present. :fans:

:clap:

Yeah, that would be nice, but I'm focusing on the WC cuz that is more likely and for a team that's never made it before I'm looking at the minumum way to make the playoffs or best way for us to get in. Now unless we move into a position to try and take the division(we haven't), I will continue to focus on the WC primarily.

Norg
11-15-2009, 12:37 AM
Just win baby ....... :texflag:

HJam72
11-15-2009, 06:06 AM
:clap:

Yeah, that would be nice, but I'm focusing on the WC cuz that is more likely and for a team that's never made it before I'm looking at the minumum way to make the playoffs or best way for us to get in. Now unless we move into a position to try and take the division(we haven't), I will continue to focus on the WC primarily.

Oh, I know it, and I'd be ecstatic if we made the playoffs at all. Just wanted to point out that you never really know--we could pull off a seven game winning streak. Course, we could do that and still come in second to the Colts easily, but it would still be a blast.

Ryan
11-15-2009, 02:52 PM
So who do we need to win today?

SteveSlaton20
11-15-2009, 04:11 PM
what the hell jets...

Air Canada
11-15-2009, 04:17 PM
So who do we need to win today?

Here it is... I already posted it earlier this week..

Well, it's the bye week and our team will be getting ready for the MNF game with the Titans.

This is how things are looking for this Sunday...

-The Bengals(6-2) will play the Steelers(6-2) on the road.

I guess it would slightly benefit us if Pitt were to win since we hold the possible tie-breaker with Cincy and if they were to have a slide a lose some games in the coming weeks this could help us. If the Bengals win it doesn't hurt much, but it doesn't help any either.

-Buccaneers(1-7) play the Dolphins(3-5) in Miami.

A Tampa Bay upset would help further eliminate the Fins from WC contention and help the Texans, but if Miami wins it doesn't really hurt since they are already below .500 and we play them later.

-The Jags(4-4) vs. the Jets(4-4)...

Two .500 teams that both beat us will play this week and if you had to pick one that we would like to win I think it would have to be Jacksonville. Although they are in our division we get to play them again and we don't get to play the Jets again. If the Jets finish with the same record as us then we are screwed so go JAGS! :splits:
(Just this Sunday...)

-Eagles(5-3) play the Chargers(5-3) in SD...

Go Philly...could be a bounce back game for them and it would help us a ton if they put the Chargers at 5-4 since that's where we are currently and they are a prime contender for a WC with us so a loss for them in a week we don't even play would be a great thing.:cool:

MNF: Ravens(4-4) vs. Browns(1-7)....

This game is in Cleveland and well it's a horrible game, the fact that it's even on MNF is dumb, but go Browns! A crazy upset here would push Balt back down a notch out of the WC race.

Well, that's the Wild Card situation for our bye week...:texflag:

what the hell jets...

The Jets losing was a good thing for us man....

ATXtexanfan
11-15-2009, 08:30 PM
SD wins again

Heath Shuler
11-15-2009, 09:57 PM
http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/afcstandings.html

Air Canada
11-15-2009, 10:03 PM
This is how the Wild Card situation shaped up this Sunday...

-Bengals(7-2)

Cincy beat the Steelers and look in control of that division...So I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and root against the Steelers next week now since we are much closer to them.

-Steelers (6-3)

If we win next week and Pitt loses then we are tied with them in the WC race....

-Dolphins(4-5)

Miami managed to pull one out against the Bucs and this doesn't help us, but it doesn't hurt much either since we are already ahead in the standings and we still play them later in the season.

-Jags(5-4)

This puts the Jags tied with us, but they hold the tiebreaker....This means we just need to take care of them when we play the next time.

-Jets(4-5)

The Jets losing to the Jags was a good thing for us since unlike Jacksonville we don't get to play them again and like I said if they finish with the same record as us then we are screwed.

-Chargers(6-3)

The Chargers won and beat Philly...that doesn't help us, but there is a silver lining to them getting the win here. :thinking:

They are 6-3 now and the Broncos are 6-3 as well....It appears that Denver is in trouble now and they lost Orton as well. SD will play Denver next week and guess what? Whoever loses will fall to 6-4 and tie with us if we beat the Titans!

-Pats(??-??)

-Colts(??-???)

TexCanada
11-15-2009, 10:40 PM
I think the road to playoffs just got a lot tougher today, with SD and Cincy winning. One of either Pitt or Cincy will almost for sure take one of the wild card spots, leaving us to battle with the likes of Baltimore and Denver and Jax. We can take care of Jax and Miami ourselves, but the other two will be tough to beat out.

Air Canada
11-15-2009, 11:13 PM
I think the road to playoffs just got a lot tougher today, with SD and Cincy winning. One of either Pitt or Cincy will almost for sure take one of the wild card spots, leaving us to battle with the likes of Baltimore and Denver and Jax. We can take care of Jax and Miami ourselves, but the other two will be tough to beat out.

Man, you missed the silver lining in this week I posted already.

Here it is...

This is how the Wild Card situation shaped up this Sunday...

-Bengals(7-2)

Cincy beat the Steelers and look in control of that division...So I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and root against the Steelers next week now since we are much closer to them.

-Steelers (6-3)

If we win next week and Pitt loses then we are tied with them in the WC race....

-Chargers(6-3)

The Chargers won and beat Philly...that doesn't help us, but there is a silver lining to them getting the win here. :thinking:

They are 6-3 now and the Broncos are 6-3 as well....It appears that Denver is in trouble now and they lost Orton as well. SD will play Denver next week and guess what? Whoever loses will fall to 6-4 and tie with us if we beat the Titans!

Hagar
11-16-2009, 12:36 AM
Notice how our schedule got a lot tougher because of one day. Both the Jags and the Titans won today meaning the Jags are now over 500 and the Titans are on a three game winning streak. Looking at our schedule prior to today, I thought both of those games would be on the easier side when complared to the Colts and Pats. Now they look to be much harder games to win.

The next two home games are crutial to us making a run at 10 wins.

Also, you know the Titans want to beat us bad.

texanskan
11-16-2009, 07:31 AM
Broncos wont make the playoffs, lets day these teams win their division

Chargers
Colts
Pats
Bengals

Steelers/Texans/Ravens/Jags fighting for 2 playoff spots

Jets/Dolphins still in it as are the Broncos but like I said they are done

thunderkyss
11-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Man, you missed the silver lining in this week I posted already.

Here it is...

Do you plan on doing this the rest of the season? You're doing a good job & I'm too lazy to think it all the way through.

But going by some of the things you said:

We've got to hope KC beats Pittsburgh in Week 11?

Buffalo to beat Jacksonville?

& I guess wins by SF, Seattle, & St Louis will help our SOS??

Insideop
11-16-2009, 11:25 AM
It's great to be talking about the playoffs this late in the season, but like I've said before, we have to take care of our on business, one game at a time! JMHO! :texflag:

Air Canada
11-16-2009, 04:38 PM
Do you plan on doing this the rest of the season? You're doing a good job & I'm too lazy to think it all the way through.

But going by some of the things you said:

We've got to hope KC beats Pittsburgh in Week 11?

Buffalo to beat Jacksonville?

& I guess wins by SF, Seattle, & St Louis will help our SOS??

Yeah, I will....

We can, but those games aren't as important. I'll list the real important ones each week. This week we gained some ground, this was a great week for not playing as the Jets lost and the Broncos are in trouble of falling even more.

Lucky
11-17-2009, 12:19 AM
The Texans are currently 5th in the AFC Wildcard standings.

1) Steelers (6-3) - Own head to head over Chargers
2) Chargers (6-3)
3) Ravens (5-4) - Own strength of victory tiebreak over Jags & Texans
4) Jaguars (5-4) - Own head-to-head over Texans
5) Texans (5-4)

Air Canada
11-17-2009, 02:13 AM
The Texans are currently 5th in the AFC Wildcard standings.

1) Steelers (6-3) - Own head to head over Chargers
2) Chargers (6-3)
3) Ravens (5-4) - Own strength of victory tiebreak over Jags & Texans
4) Jaguars (5-4) - Own head-to-head over Texans
5) Texans (5-4)

This is true, but the Ravens are only ahead thanks to the Browns.... cuz of the division tiebreak. The thing is they got swept by Cincy and still have to play Pitt twice which will be tough, so that should help out a lot since if Pitt beats them they can push Balt out or the Ravens can also hurt the Steelers.

We have more divisional games left to bolster our chances than the
Ravens too.

Broncos play the Chargers and it helps us no matter who wins since some1 is falling to 6-4 and I expect us to be 6-4 ourselves.

We can surpass the Jags by beating them the next time, but we need to win this week and they have a similar remaining schedule as us so we wouldn't mind some help either.

Air Canada
11-19-2009, 12:52 AM
Alright, so this is Week 11 and here's how the game's look and what we'd like to play out.

First off, we have the Thursday night game on NFL Network....

-Dolphins(4-5)@Panthers(4-5)

We should root for Carolina this game just in case since we don't want Miami to stay in the WC race and a loss here would hurt their chances.

-Steelers(6-3)@Chiefs(2-7)

Go Chiefs! Pull the unlikely upset....It wouldn't hurt, only help us if Pitt lost now since that would make them 6-4 with us if we beat the Titans.

-Colts(9-0)@Ravens(5-4)

Okay, I know many don't wanna root for Indy this week, but a Colts win is the better thing for us cuz the division is virtually out of reach and the Ravens pose a bigger threat to our playoff chances than the Colts do. So we should hope for a Raven's loss to put them at 5-5 hopefully behind us in the standings. We'll get our 2nd chance at the Colts to give them that 1st loss.

-Bills(3-6)@Jags(5-4)

Obviously, we want a Bills win here for the same reasons of putting the Jags behind us in the WC race.

-Chargers(6-3)@Broncos(6-3)

I don't think it really matters who loses here, one of these teams will be 6-4 no matter what at the end of the day and that should tie them with us after we take care of business on MNF.

-Jets(4-5)@Pats(6-3)

Another Jet's loss would do us good for the possible tiebreaker situation once again.

TexCanada
11-19-2009, 01:02 AM
Our situation will look much better if we win monday. If we take care of our own business then everything will fall into place.

Dr2bKay
11-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Bumping up....

Who should I root to lose this week for our wc chances to improve.

brakos82
11-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Bumping up....

Who should I root to lose this week for our wc chances to improve.

Chiefs, Colts, Chargers, and Bills to win.

TheRealJoker
11-22-2009, 12:25 PM
In addition to me wanting the Colts to beat the Ravens in order to knock Baltimore down a notch in a race for a wild card spot I selfishly want Indy to win so we can give them their first loss next week :)

HOWEVER

I do want Baltimore to give them a trademark physical Ravens game so the Colts are hurting when they come to Reliant next week!!! It sucks that Suggs is out today, I wanted him to get to Peyton a few times.

djohn2oo8
11-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Why does Buffalo suck so much? Too much to ask for a win over Jacksonville?

tedr
11-22-2009, 03:58 PM

Jacksonville's living right this year.

Ryan
11-22-2009, 04:01 PM
@$%@#$ the Bills.

djohn2oo8
11-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Well, Indy beat the Ravens, I'll take that

DexmanC
11-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Now the Texans MUST beat Tennessee.
MUST beat Indy
MUST beat Jacksonville.

They go 3-0 during that stretch, then the playoffs are all but guaranteed.

tedr
11-22-2009, 04:19 PM
KC just beat Pitt. Good results today, with the exception of Bills- Jags.

djohn2oo8
11-22-2009, 04:19 PM
holy **** Chiefs beat Steelers

keyser
11-22-2009, 04:34 PM
I found out about this website (http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/nfl.html) from someone on this board - whoever it was, I did not give enough rep to... That site is really good for seeing the current playoff situation, including teams that control their own destiny, probabilities based on strength of schedule, etc. Supposedly they will update it in the next hour or so based on the early games.

Seriously, if someone knows who/where that link was first posted, please let me know, so I can belatedly spread rep.

Hoss
11-22-2009, 04:48 PM

they have the cancer....

Heath Shuler
11-22-2009, 04:57 PM
I found out about this website (http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/nfl.html) from someone on this board - whoever it was, I did not give enough rep to... That site is really good for seeing the current playoff situation, including teams that control their own destiny, probabilities based on strength of schedule, etc. Supposedly they will update it in the next hour or so based on the early games.

Seriously, if someone knows who/where that link was first posted, please let me know, so I can belatedly spread rep.

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/afcstandings.html

I thought it was a great site, so I wanted to share.

Lucky
11-22-2009, 05:06 PM
The Steelers' loss moves Pittsburgh out, and the Jags into the 6th playoff spot. Momentarily. The Steelers would move ahead of today's Chargers/Broncos loser.

brakos82
11-22-2009, 05:06 PM
Outside of the Jags game, everything's turning out great so far. :spin:

Ryan
11-22-2009, 05:08 PM
I'd rather the Chargers beat the Broncos today. Broncos are falling fast and i think they'll end up somewhere in the 9-7 range, but i think the Chargers are heating up so i don't want them in our playoff picture.

GuerillaBlack
11-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Yeah. It's too bad Miami won on Thursday. Still, today didn't turn out too bad. Hopefully the Chargers win, because I can easily see Denver becoming a 8-8 to 9-7 team and miss the playoffs. We must win out pretty much. We can only afford maybe one loss, maybe two if we're lucky.

gary
11-22-2009, 05:17 PM
I think the Texans will go 2-1 over their next three ball games.

TheRealJoker
11-22-2009, 07:31 PM
So with the way this week's games shook out...

Do we move ahead of Pittsburgh and grab the 6th seed with a win over Tennessee? I think so because it gives us more division wins with the same number of losses but someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Where does Denver fall if we go 6-4 after MNF?

Air Canada
11-22-2009, 09:29 PM
This was what we needed and it turned out fairly well for us...thank you KC!

First off, we have the Thursday night game on NFL Network....

-Dolphins(4-5)@Panthers(4-5)

We should root for Carolina this game just in case since we don't want Miami to stay in the WC race and a loss here would hurt their chances.

-Steelers(6-3)@Chiefs(2-7)

Go Chiefs! Pull the unlikely upset....It wouldn't hurt, only help us if Pitt lost now since that would make them 6-4 with us if we beat the Titans.
:chickendance:

-Colts(9-0)@Ravens(5-4)

Okay, I know many don't wanna root for Indy this week, but a Colts win is the better thing for us cuz the division is virtually out of reach and the Ravens pose a bigger threat to our playoff chances than the Colts do. So we should hope for a Raven's loss to put them at 5-5 hopefully behind us in the standings. We'll get our 2nd chance at the Colts to give them that 1st loss.

-Bills(3-6)@Jags(5-4)

Obviously, we want a Bills win here for the same reasons of putting the Jags behind us in the WC race.

-Chargers(6-3)@Broncos(6-3)

I don't think it really matters who loses here, one of these teams will be 6-4 no matter what at the end of the day and that should tie them with us after we take care of business on MNF.

-Jets(4-5)@Pats(6-3)

Another Jet's loss would do us good for the possible tiebreaker situation once again.

So with the way this week's games shook out...

Do we move ahead of Pittsburgh and grab the 6th seed with a win over Tennessee? I think so because it gives us more division wins with the same number of losses but someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Where does Denver fall if we go 6-4 after MNF?

That's right on with Pitt....except it's based off of AFC win-loss-tie record. Pitt has 4 wins in the AFC and we have 4 as well, but if we win on MNF we will have 5 conference wins and pass them.

Now with Denver we will slightly be behind even if we win on MNF just since they would also have 5 AFC wins, but less AFC losses(2). We have 3 AFC losses. So there you go...:shades:

C Madd
11-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Looks like Houston now controls their own destiny according to Playoffstatus.com.

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/afcwinmagicnumbers.html

bckey
11-22-2009, 10:42 PM
I think the Texans will go 2-1 over their next three ball games.

No Gary. It will be 3-0.:doot:

RTP2110
11-22-2009, 10:57 PM
Teams to make playoffs after 10 games (since 1990)

started 6-4 66%
started 5-5 28%
started 4-6 7% (obviously out of our scenario)

Hagar
11-22-2009, 10:59 PM
We had a pretty good day today. 4 of teams we need to lose ~ Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore & Cincinnati all lost.

A win against the Titans will go a long way towards our playoff hopes.

TheRealJoker
11-22-2009, 11:12 PM
We had a pretty good day today. 4 of teams we need to lose ~ Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore & Cincinnati all lost.

A win against the Titans will go a long way towards our playoff hopes.

The stage is set for us to make some headway in the playoff picture. We have a golden opportunity to get right in the mix with a win on MNF. If we squander it we're gonna need some luck late in the season instead of just winning the spots outright. I highly doubt Pitt loses to another KC esque team is all I am saying...

keyser
11-22-2009, 11:13 PM
Some interesting info about the current AFC playoff standings, based on the playoffstatus.com chart mentioned earlier:

The Texans now control the ability to get into the playoffs. If we win the rest of our games, we will be guaranteed a playoff berth, no matter what other teams do. It's probably obvious that a 12-4 record would get us in, but:
the same is not true for Pittsburgh or Denver. Even if they win all of their remaining games, it will take some help from others to guarantee a playoff berth.
Jacksonville and Miami (both of which we play) are also in control of their own playoff berth.
Believe it or not, the Browns, at 1-9, have not yet been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. There is still some theoretical scenario where they could end up with the final wildcard spot! Evidently the same is true of the Lions, Rams, and Bucs on the NFC side.

Norg
11-22-2009, 11:55 PM
do we want pittsburg to take the divison ?????? cincy has a .1 game edge over them but if they fall into WC terrtory that would be bad for us

that miami game scares me now ......

TheRealJoker
11-23-2009, 12:06 AM
do we want pittsburg to take the divison ?????? cincy has a .1 game edge over them but if they fall into WC terrtory that would be bad for us

that miami game scares me now ......

We would prefer Pitt to win the division since we own the tiebreaker but Cincy has actually a 2 game lead over Pitt because they have already swept them. Pitt needs to win at least 1 more game than them which is going to be tough to do with 6 games to go and still having to play Baltimore twice who will also be fighting for playoffs.

TexanBacker93
11-23-2009, 12:12 AM
Yeah. It's too bad Miami won on Thursday. Still, today didn't turn out too bad. Hopefully the Chargers win, because I can easily see Denver becoming a 8-8 to 9-7 team and miss the playoffs. We must win out pretty much. We can only afford maybe one loss, maybe two if we're lucky.

Denver's looking more like a 6-10 team with each passing week.

TheRealJoker
11-23-2009, 12:13 AM
Denver's looking more like a 6-10 team with each passing week.

Reminds me of Buffalo last year!!!

whiskeyrbl
11-23-2009, 05:46 AM
According to NFL Network this morning Jax sits at #5 and we are at #8 behind Pittsburgh and Denver.

bckey
11-23-2009, 08:58 AM
According to NFL Network this morning Jax sits at #5 and we are at #8 behind Pittsburgh and Denver.

That is only because we haven't played our game yet. If we win tonight I believe we move up to the 6 spot.

dalemurphy
11-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Reminds me of Buffalo last year!!!

They still have two games versus KC and a game versus Oakland. So, I think Denver will still have a good shot to get to 10. But, yeah, they aren't very good.

Goatcheese
11-24-2009, 05:09 AM
We're 1 game back in the Wild Card hunt and the season is over!!!!

Pack it up, turn out the lights, tear up the field, and lets just forfeit the next 6 games. There's no point in even playing if you're 1 whole, entire, complete game back in the standings. Only a fool would even try.

:gun:

TexCanada
11-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Denver looks like they are about to win tonight. That puts a serious dent in our playoff hopes.

Ryan
11-26-2009, 11:09 PM
Jim Mora. All that needs to be said here.

TexCanada
11-26-2009, 11:48 PM
Denver beat the Giants tonight, so it appears that the Broncos will be finishing with at least 10 wins on the season. This makes it look as though it might take 11 wins for us to make playoffs...

Ryan
11-26-2009, 11:49 PM
I just wanna go 9-7 at this point. That seems like a challenge too.

GP
11-26-2009, 11:52 PM
I ragged on the Broncos this pre-season, thinking they would be the worst team in football.

Oops.

Goes to show that nobody knows what's going to happen unless they make a lucky guess.

9-7 would be a triumph. 10-6 would be a miracle. 11-5 would be a triumphant miracle of enormous proportions.

silvrhand
11-27-2009, 04:18 AM
Denver beat the Giants tonight, so it appears that the Broncos will be finishing with at least 10 wins on the season. This makes it look as though it might take 11 wins for us to make playoffs...

Unless the Jags start to fall apart again the post season is done for us.

Thorn
11-27-2009, 08:44 AM
1st off, what I really want is a winning season. If we get that, I'll be OK. Of course I want playoffs, but if can at least go 9-7 the season won't be a total loss.

Lucky
11-27-2009, 08:46 AM
Denver looks like they are about to win tonight. That puts a serious dent in our playoff hopes.
The Texans are fully capable of crashing their own playoff hopes, thank you very much.

axman40
11-27-2009, 09:24 AM
The Texans are fully capable of crashing their own playoff hopes, thank you very much.
Lucky plays the old sad but true card!
DAMN YOU LUCKY!

Lucky
11-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Lucky plays the old sad but true card!
DAMN YOU LUCKY!
Hey, it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings. She may have on her costume and is going into her vocal exercises. But she hasn't sung.

brakos82
11-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Hey, it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings. She may have on her costume and is going into her vocal exercises. But she hasn't sung.

*please don't let the fat lady be Roseanne..... :devilpig:

silvrhand
11-28-2009, 12:43 AM
1st off, what I really want is a winning season. If we get that, I'll be OK. Of course I want playoffs, but if can at least go 9-7 the season won't be a total loss.

You have low expectations.. Going into a season and saying hey all we need to do is win one more game and we'll be happy is not an attitude I would want my football team to have..

houstonspartan
11-28-2009, 12:55 AM
You have low expectations.. Going into a season and saying hey all we need to do is win one more game and we'll be happy is not an attitude I would want my football team to have..

Agree. When the season started, I demanded 11-5 or, at the very least, 10-6. Technically, 9-7 would be a winning season, but the bar must be raised for a team with this much potential talent.

houstonspartan
11-28-2009, 12:57 AM

LMFAO!

:gun:

Thorn
11-28-2009, 01:15 AM

RE: the bolded part. I'm from Houston. What would you expect of me considering the professional sports history of this city?

DexmanC
11-28-2009, 08:40 AM
Since the Texans didn't sweep the Titans, they now MUST beat the
Colts AND the Jags to have ANY realistic shot at postseason. If
they lose to EITHER team, they lose ALL divisional tiebreakers! Sunday,
they'll be playing for their playoff LIVES!!

Air Canada
12-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Since the Texans didn't sweep the Titans, they now MUST beat the
Colts AND the Jags to have ANY realistic shot at postseason. If
they lose to EITHER team, they lose ALL divisional tiebreakers! Sunday,
they'll be playing for their playoff LIVES!!

This may be it for my thread if we lose this week as our WC chances will be almost surely crushed if we lose to the Jags.... Please let's get this win!

HJam72
12-04-2009, 07:57 PM
It doesn't have to be the end of your glorious thread. You could just change the title to something like, "Fire Kubiak!"

Air Canada
12-04-2009, 09:51 PM
It doesn't have to be the end of your glorious thread. You could just change the title to something like, "Fire Kubiak!"

:lol:....yeah, I just may do that, but I really don't want to do that.

I wonder how Kubes will feel about that though...

http://i33.tinypic.com/2ccpl68.jpg

thunderkyss
12-04-2009, 10:07 PM
http://i33.tinypic.com/2ccpl68.jpg

Absolutely no emotion. How can he expect our team to be fired up if he's going to act so docile on the sidelines.

Norg
12-05-2009, 12:24 AM
Dungy and Billacheck never showed emotion and there the 2 most winning coaches going .......

Second Honeymoon
12-05-2009, 12:40 AM
Dungy and Billacheck never showed emotion and there the 2 most winning coaches going .......

please don't compare Kubiak to proven coaches like Dungy and Bilacheat.

apples and oranges.

Air Canada
12-05-2009, 01:18 AM

apples and oranges.

Yeah, but I can see what he's saying... since they were also "unproven" at a time as well.

imatexan
12-09-2009, 05:16 AM
Yes it is back.

I had to with all these negative threads, I needed something to change things up.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8147d1c0&template=no-right-rail-with-comments&confirm=true

COMMENT: A once-promising season has turned into disaster. Focus should be on winning a game, not playoffs.

We are still "in the hunt"

*This is not a we are going to make the playoffs post just something to entertain us while all the doom and gloom surrounds us*

Go Texans, win out!

Silver Oak
12-09-2009, 09:26 AM
good potion of the crazies here would rather see the Texans lose and not make the playoffs, thereby ensuring Kubiak is fired.

the Pink Soap Mob will not be denied!

OzzO
12-09-2009, 01:50 PM
I heard on 610 that if the Jags win two - Texans will be out regardless of what they do.

El Tejano
12-09-2009, 01:55 PM
I heard that if we can't win we don't get in.

brakos82
12-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Shouldn't we move this to the NFL section? :kingkong:

TexCanada
12-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Oddly enough, with Pitt losing to the Browns the wildcard is really wide open once again. If we run the table we would actually have a chance of making it.

P.S. I am not in any way saying that I believe this team can actually run the table...I'm just saying hypothetically.

Second Honeymoon
12-11-2009, 12:10 AM
Oddly enough, with Pitt losing to the Browns the wildcard is really wide open once again. If we run the table we would actually have a chance of making it.

P.S. I am not in any way saying that I believe this team can actually run the table...I'm just saying hypothetically.

we are done. not mathematically but in reality, we are done. the fact that we have yet to be eliminated really illustrates how bad this team blew it. If they just take care of business v. the Titans and the Jags, you are sitting pretty. I understand losing to the Colts, its something the Texans have become quite good at, but if were 7-5 instead of 5-7 right now, think about how good we would be setup for a playoff push?

we blew it, just like the last 2 years. a few wins here and there and we are in the mix

TexCanada
12-11-2009, 12:17 AM
we are done. not mathematically but in reality, we are done. the fact that we have yet to be eliminated really illustrates how bad this team blew it. If they just take care of business v. the Titans and the Jags, you are sitting pretty. I understand losing to the Colts, its something the Texans have become quite good at, but if were 7-5 instead of 5-7 right now, think about how good we would be setup for a playoff push?

we blew it, just like the last 2 years. a few wins here and there and we are in the mix

Sadly, even one win would have made a world of difference. If we had beaten the Jags last week we would be right in the hunt. Very disappointing.

Norg
12-11-2009, 12:46 AM
Pittsburgh (6-7)
N.Y. Jets (6-6)
Miami (6-6)
Baltimore (6-6)
Jacksonville (7-5)
New England (7-5)
Denver (8-4)

Indy and cincy pretty much have there divison locked DOWN and San deigo is close and even if denver over takes them it would be worse for us

thats alot of teams we need to lose out LOL

eriadoc
12-11-2009, 01:07 AM

apples and oranges.

Comparing track records is one thing ... comparing their demeanor is a legitimate observation. One thing I've often wondered about some of our posters (you included, SH) is how they'd react if we somehow got Dungy to come coach us? All we hear about is how Kubiak is never fired up, doesn't say anything at PCs, is too low key, or whatever other nonsense. If we somehow lured Dungy here (not going to happen, obviously), we'd have a very similar demeanor at the HC position. Of course, winning cures all ills, but it kind of shoots the hell out of the fiery demeanor argument in the process.

texanskan
12-11-2009, 01:44 AM
Pittsburgh (6-7)
N.Y. Jets (6-6)
Miami (6-6)
Baltimore (6-6)
Jacksonville (7-5)
New England (7-5)
Denver (8-4)

Indy and cincy pretty much have there divison locked DOWN and San deigo is close and even if denver over takes them it would be worse for us

thats alot of teams we need to lose out LOL

Assume We win out and Denver wins 1 more game, NE wins the NFC East there is one spot left.

Miami is eliminated b/c we would hold tie breaker
Need Titans/Steelers to lose 1 game
Jets 2-2
Balt 2-2
Jack 1-3

theanswer000
12-11-2009, 02:04 AM
Assume We win out and Denver wins 1 more game, NE wins the NFC East there is one spot left.

Miami is eliminated b/c we would hold tie breaker
Need Titans/Steelers to lose 1 game
Jets 2-2
Balt 2-2
Jack 1-3

This would be ridiculous lol. I'm sure crazier things have happened, imagine that though.

Jets remaining games are TB,Atlanta,Indy,Cincy
Ravens remaining games are Detriot,Chicago,Pitt,Oakland
Miami has JAX,TENN,US,Pitt
Jax has Miami,Indy,New England,Cleveland
Titans have St.Louis,Miami,San Diego,Seattle
Pitt has GB,Baltimore,Miami

Every team would have to lose this weekend besides Miami we need them to win until they get to us.

Jax needs to lose to Miami,Indy and New England, we can let them have Cleveland.

I highly doubt the Titans will lose this weekend but hey go Rams! Miami must beat them, same as San Diego that would put us by them for sure.

Pitt is out with one more loss.

Like the Titans I highly doubt the Ravens will lose to the Lions but Idk Culpepper might pull it off. they are bound to lose 2 of the last 3. Probably Chicago will beat them and Pitt.

Jets might win one of there last 4 games. BeSIDES KELLEN CLEMENS IS starting this Sunday. LETS GO BUCS!

BIG TORO
12-11-2009, 10:56 AM
This would be ridiculous lol. I'm sure crazier things have happened, imagine that though.

Jets remaining games are TB,Atlanta,Indy,Cincy
Ravens remaining games are Detriot,Chicago,Pitt,Oakland
Miami has JAX,TENN,US,Pitt
Jax has Miami,Indy,New England,Cleveland
Titans have St.Louis,Miami,San Diego,Seattle
Pitt has GB,Baltimore,Miami

Every team would have to lose this weekend besides Miami we need them to win until they get to us.

Jax needs to lose to Miami,Indy and New England, we can let them have Cleveland.

I highly doubt the Titans will lose this weekend but hey go Rams! Miami must beat them, same as San Diego that would put us by them for sure.

Pitt is out with one more loss.

Like the Titans I highly doubt the Ravens will lose to the Lions but Idk Culpepper might pull it off. they are bound to lose 2 of the last 3. Probably Chicago will beat them and Pitt.

Jets might win one of there last 4 games. BeSIDES KELLEN CLEMENS IS starting this Sunday. LETS GO BUCS!

After Last night anything can happen, jac has a rough schedule coming up, if all the stars line up that could be a bad ass way to get into the playoffs!

stevn8r
12-11-2009, 11:57 AM
http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2009/12/texans_playoffs_1.html

Be sure to watch the video!!!:fans:

BIG TORO
12-11-2009, 12:20 PM
http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2009/12/texans_playoffs_1.html

Be sure to watch the video!!!:fans:

DAMN pretty cool article and video thanks

TheRealJoker
12-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Texans need to root for San Diego, Indy, New England, and of course themselves next week...

This would eliminate Titans, Jets, Jags, and Miami from the hunt.

KC could really help us out by beating Cincinnati. If Baltimore beats Pitt they would not only eliminate Pitt but they would still be able to win the division if Cincy lost their final two games. IMO it is more likely that Baltimore win the division outright than them losing their final two games to Pitt and Oakland to get eliminated from the hunt.

Denver losing to Philly can help us out because if they lost to KC the next week they would be eliminated outright.

I'm gonna be a pretty big KC fan these next two weeks. I'll be rooting for them to win almost as hard as I root for the Texans :)

TexCanada
12-21-2009, 01:54 PM
Texans need to root for San Diego, Indy, New England, and of course themselves next week...

KC could really help us out by beating Cincinnati. If Baltimore beats Pitt they would not only eliminate Pitt but they would still be able to win the division if Cincy lost their final two games. IMO it is more likely that Baltimore win the division outright than them losing their final two games to Pitt and Oakland to get eliminated from the hunt.

Denver losing to Philly can help us out because if they lost to KC the next week they would be eliminated outright.

I'm gonna be a pretty big KC fan these next two weeks. I'll be rooting for them to win almost as hard as I root for the Texans :)

What a crazy scenario this is. If we can win against Miami on Sunday, it is very likely that our last game of the year will be meaningful. It will still take a small miracle but it is not as ridiculous sounding as it was 2 weeks ago. It would be a fantastic final weekend if we have any sort of chance at all to make playoffs.

TheRealJoker
12-21-2009, 01:57 PM
What a crazy scenario this is. If we can win against Miami on Sunday, it is very likely that our last game of the year will be meaningful. It will still take a small miracle but it is not as ridiculous sounding as it was 2 weeks ago. It would be a fantastic final weekend if we have any sort of chance at all to make playoffs.

It would be fantastic if we actually made the playoffs given the miracles that would have to occur (Texans winning 4 straight, certain teams losing, etc.)

Air Canada
12-21-2009, 02:12 PM
It would be fantastic if we actually made the playoffs given the miracles that would have to occur (Texans winning 4 straight, certain teams losing, etc.)

If things really started shaping up next week then I won't feel nearly as dumb for holding onto our playoff hopes with this thread. :kingkong:

Blake
12-21-2009, 02:19 PM
So here is what we need.

#1 Texans beat Miami on the road.

#2 Jacksonville lose to New England in Foxboro.

#3 NY Jets lose to Indy in Indianapolis.

#4 Pitt lose to Baltimore @ home, or on road at Miami.

#5 Tennessee lose at home to San Diego.

#6 Texans beat New England at home.

Tennessee and the Jets both worry me the most.

Corrosion
12-21-2009, 02:40 PM
So here is what we need.

What bothers me the most is - Will the Texans take care of their end of the deal - After that Pittsburgh , I just cant see those guy's losing when they are playing for their playoff lives.

I can see Jacksonville losing to the Brady's NE is by far the better team.

I can see Possum Holler losing to San Diego .... Buck Fud.

Indy should beat the Jets - then again they have nothing to play for other than a perfect season. This one kinda bothers me .... What about Cincy vs the Jets in week 17 , how does that game affect the playoff seeding pending the Jets win ?

First and foremost , the Texans have to take care of business , they cant afford another game like the near egg they laid in St Louis

Ryan
12-21-2009, 03:48 PM
All i want for christmas is 9-7. Let the chips fall as they may after that.

Hooston Texan
12-21-2009, 04:19 PM
So here is what we need.

Maybe I'm missing something, but what about Baltimore and Denver? They're both 8-6 and have superior conference records to ours even if they split their last two games.

So we need either of them to lose twice in addition to the other scenarios. EXCEPT: if Cincinnati loses its last two, then Baltimore could leap them for the division and they'd lose to us in a 9-7 tiebreaker.

gwallaia
12-21-2009, 04:23 PM
Indy will be resting their starters. I bet the Jets beat them.

Blake
12-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but what about Baltimore and Denver? They're both 8-6 and have superior conference records to ours even if they split their last two games.

So we need either of them to lose twice in addition to the other scenarios. EXCEPT: if Cincinnati loses its last two, then Baltimore could leap them for the division and they'd lose to us in a 9-7 tiebreaker.

Yeah my bad. You are correct kind sir.

TheRealJoker
12-21-2009, 04:32 PM

Source?

Pantherstang84
12-21-2009, 04:36 PM

Yep . That worked out great for them last year. Oh. Wait. That was the Hillbillies from Possum Holler. Still it worked out great for them too.

theanswer000
12-21-2009, 04:42 PM

Denver losing to Philly can help us out because if they lost to KC the next week they would be eliminated outright. The last week of football will be exciting to watch if Philly beats Denver and if KC beats Cincy. I can see Titans, Jets, Jags losing and of course the Dolphins bc we will beat them. The last week will be crazy if this happens.

And philly. I could for sure see Balt winning out and Denver hopefully losing out. That would be crazy if Cincy ended up losing out that would push us up into a wildcard spot.

gwallaia
12-21-2009, 04:43 PM
Source?

Just a gut feeling.

axman40
12-21-2009, 05:02 PM
http://www.jacklail.com/blog/images/kittyNapping2.jpg (http://www.jacklail.com/blog/images/kittyNapping2.jpg)
Play off talk makes kitty sleepy!

Second Honeymoon
12-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Best shot is for Denver to lose in Philly and at home to Kansas City.

Cincy isn't going to lose both their remaining games (home v. Chiefs and on road v. Jets). If Cincy loses to the Chiefs next week, there is a shot but I just don't see that happening. They played the Chargers well in San Diego and they don't look to be on life support.

Cmon Denver. Lose you magnificent SOB. Lose.

TheRealJoker
12-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Titans just lost Bulluck/Thornton for the year:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81529172&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Without their defensive captain Bulluck, they'll have a hard time with the Chargers imo.

Speedy
12-21-2009, 06:36 PM
This is all of course predicated on the Texans winning out.

Texans (7-7) (4-6 conf)
Games remaining - Miami, NE
Best the Texans can do is 9-7 (6-6 conference record)

Titans (7-7) (4-7 conf)
Games remaining, San Diego, Seattle
Titans need to lose one.

Jags (7-7) (6-4 conf)
Games remaining, New England, Cleveland
Jags have head to head tiebreaker over Houston. Needs to lose at least one.

Steelers (7-7) (4-6 conf)
Games remaining, Baltimore, Miami
Best scenario would be to beat Baltimore and lose to Miami.

Ravens (8-6) (6-4 conf)
Games remaining - Pittsburgh, Oakland
Because of their conf. record the Ravens clinch a playoff berth with one more win. They can still win their division though and knock Cincy into the wild card race.

Bengals 9-5 (6-4 conf)
Remaining games - KC, Jets
Bengals need to lose out. Texans hold head to head tiebreaker over Cincy

Jets (7-7) (5-5 conf)
Games remaining, Indianapolis, Cincinnati
Holds head to head tiebreaker over Texans. Needs to lose at least one, preferably Cincy.

Dolphins (7-7) (5-5 conf)
Games remaining, Houston, Pittsburgh
Can't finish ahead of Texans if Texans win out.

Broncos (8-6) (6-5 conf)
Games remaining - Philly, KC
Broncos would win tiebreaker over Texans if they lose to Philly and beat KC

So basically, the Texans of course need to win out.
If the Texans win out, Dolphins are out.

Broncos HAVE to lose to KC, and possibly lose out based on the strength of victory tiebreaker.
Titans need to lose one.
Jets need to lose one.
Jags need to lose one.
That puts the teams with the tiebreaker edge on the Texans below them.

Then it comes down to the Steelers, Ravens and Bengals. Cincy or Baltimore will win the division with the other likely getting one of the 2 wild card spots.
Cincy would have to lose out to tie with Houston and the Texans hold the tiebreaker edge here.
Houston loses the tiebreaker if they end up tied with Baltimore.
Then it would be between Houston and Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh needs to lose one of their remaining games for them to be out, but if it works out where Houston and Pittsburgh are tied at 9-7, Houston would win the tiebreaker based on Common Games (minimun of 4).
Houston 4-1 (1-1 v. Ten, 1-0 v. Cin, 1-0 v. Oak, 1-0 v. Mia)
Pittsburgh 2-3 (1-0 v. Ten, 0-2 v. Cin, 0-1 v. Oak, 1-0 v. Mia)

EDIT: Corrected

Lucky
12-21-2009, 07:11 PM
Titans (7-7) (4-7 conf)
Games remaining, San Diego, Seattle
Titans lose the tiebreaker to the Texans if they tie at 9-7. Head to head 1-1, conference record, the Texans would be 6-6 if they win out. Best the Titans can do is 5-7.

The Texans lose the tiebreaker to the Titans due to division record - Titans (2-4), Texans (1-5). See NFL Wild card tiebreaker rules (http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures):

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.
Two Clubs

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs). Split 1-1
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division. Titans (2-4), Texans (1-5)

Speedy
12-21-2009, 07:17 PM
My bad. Missed that. So the Inbreds need to lose one.

TEXANRED
12-21-2009, 07:20 PM

apples and oranges.

Don't compare Dungy to Bilacheck, don't you remeber Cleveland? Dungy has won everywhere he went.

Giant Tiger
12-21-2009, 10:20 PM
If San Diego beats Tennessee, I'm hoping for a tie between Baltimore & Pittsburgh. That would probably be better for us as long as Cincinnati loses their last 2 games :thinking: I guess we're all huge Kansas City fans the next 2 weeks.

hookinreds
12-21-2009, 10:59 PM
:fortune:

JWarren14
12-23-2009, 01:38 PM
This was posted on HT.com, think it spells it out pretty clearly:

Playoff Scenarios By Team

Cincinnati Bengals
Current seed: 4th (Lead AFC North)
Record: 9-5 overall (6-4 AFC, 6-0 division)
Remaining schedule: KC (3-11), @NYJ (7-7)
Texans need them to: Lose two, finish 9-7 AND Ravens win two, finish 10-6, win AFC North
Tiebreaker: Texans win on head-to-head record

Baltimore Ravens
Current seed: 5th (1st Wild Card)
Record: 8-6 (6-4, 3-2)
Remaining schedule: @PIT (7-7), @OAK (5-9)
Texans need them to (A): Lose two, finish 8-8
Texans need them to (B): Win two, finish 10-6, win AFC North AND Bengals lose two, finish 9-7
Tiebreaker: Texans lose on conference record

Denver Broncos
Current seed: 6th (2nd Wild Card)
Record: 8-6 (6-5, 3-2)
Remaining schedule: @PHI (9-4), KC (3-11)
Texans need them to: Lose two, finish 8-8
Tiebreaker: Texans lose on strength of victory

Jacksonville Jaguars
Current seed: 7th
Record: 7-7 (6-4, 3-3)
Remaining schedule: @NE (9-5), @CLE (3-11)
Texans need them to: Lose one, finish 8-8
Tiebreaker: Texans lose on head-to-head record

Miami Dolphins
Current seed: 8th
Record: 7-7 (5-5, 4-2)
Remaining schedule: HOU (7-7), PIT (7-7)
Texans need them to: Lose to Texans in Week 16, finish 8-8
Tiebreaker: Texans would win head-to-head record

New York Jets
Current seed: 9th
Record: 7-7 (5-5, 2-4)
Remaining schedule: @IND (14-0), CIN (9-5)
Tiebreakers: Texans lose on head-to-head record and conference record

Pittsburgh Steelers
Current seed: 10th
Record: 7-7 (4-6, 1-4)
Remaining schedule: BAL (8-6), @MIA (7-7)
Texans need them to: N/A
Tiebreaker: Texans win on common games record (would have 4-1 record vs. Steelers' 2-3 record in games against TEN, CIN, OAK, MIA)

Tennessee Titans
Current seed: 11th
Record: 7-7 (4-7, 2-4)
Remaining schedule: SD (11-4), @SEA (5-9)
Tiebreaker: Titans win on division record

Titans should lose to SD
Steelers don't matter
NYJ should lose at least 1 to CIN or IND, rather it be IND
MIA if we lose to them then none of this crap matters
Jax really needs to lose to NE as they should beat CLE
Ravens will probably get in
So we need the Broncos to stumble and lose 2, if Philly beats them I could see KC upsetting them at home as Oakland just did

9-7 see what happens, it's still our best record in franchise history. A good RB, an upgrade to the interior OL, a piece or 2 on defense with another year in Bush's system should be looking good.

thunderkyss
12-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers
Current seed: 10th
Record: 7-7 (4-6, 1-4)
Remaining schedule: BAL (8-6), @MIA (7-7)
Texans need them to: N/A
Tiebreaker: Texans win on common games record (would have 4-1 record vs. Steelers' 2-3 record in games against TEN, CIN, OAK, MIA)

Surely I'm reading this wrong. The Texans are in a better position to make the play-offs than the defending SB champs, based on W-L vs common opponents?

That can't be right.

JWarren14
12-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Surely I'm reading this wrong. The Texans are in a better position to make the play-offs than the defending SB champs, based on W-L vs common opponents?

That can't be right.

I wouldn't put it past HT.com to make a mistake, but losses to KC and OAK sure doesn't help Pitt.

utahmark
12-23-2009, 02:07 PM

That can't be right.

i did it myself by looking at nfl.com tiebreaking rules. its right.

HoustonFrog
12-23-2009, 03:29 PM
Here is an article today the explains in detail all AFC scenarios

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/dom_bonvissuto/12/22/week.16/index.html

AFC
INDIANAPOLIS COLTS (14-0)

If The Playoffs Started Today: In; No. 1 seed
Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): vs. N.Y. Jets (W); at Buffalo (W)
Final Projected Record; Playoff Seeding: 16-0; No. 1
Extra Point: As evidenced by last Thursday's win over Jacksonville, the Colts do not appear to be letting up, so we're now projecting them to run the table.

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS (11-3)

If The Playoffs Started Today: In; No. 2 seed
Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): at Tennessee (L); vs. Washington (W)
Final Projected Record; Playoff Seeding: 12-4; No. 2
Extra Point: There's no reason to believe the red-hot Chargers will lose their final two games. But should they stumble, and the Patriots win out, San Diego would fall to the No. 3 seed because they lose the common games tiebreaker with New England.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (9-5)

If The Playoffs Started Today: In; No. 3 seed (wins tiebreaker with Cincinnati based on strength of victory)
Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): vs. Jacksonville (W); at Houston (W)
Final Projected Record; Playoff Seeding: 11-5; No. 3
Extra Point: The Patriots are a power broker in the race for the No. 5 and 6 seeds because they play two of the 7-7 teams. Ironically, by beating both the Jags and Texans, the Patriots will be helping clear a path for the division rival Jets and/or Dolphins to make the postseason.

CINCINNATI BENGALS (9-5)

If The Playoffs Started Today: In; No. 4 seed
Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): vs. Kansas City (W); at N.Y. Jets (L)
Final Projected Record; Playoff Seeding: 10-6; No. 4 (wins tiebreaker with Baltimore based on head-to-head)
Extra Point: Should the Bengals finish tied with the Patriots at either 10-6 or 11-5, the tiebreaker will be strength of victory, which is the combined winning percentage of the opponents a team has beaten. It currently favors New England, and likely still would after Week 17.

BALTIMORE RAVENS (8-6)

If The Playoffs Started Today: In; No. 5 seed (wins tiebreaker with Denver based on head-to-head)
Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): at Pittsburgh (W); at Oakland (W)
Final Projected Record; Playoff Seeding: 10-6; No. 5
Extra Point: We project the Ravens will win out, making their 9-7 tiebreakers moot. However, on the microscopic chance we are wrong, here's how the Ravens would stand:

At 9-7 (with loss to Steelers and win over Raiders), Baltimore would win tiebreaker with Steelers (division record), Broncos (head-to-head), Titans (conference record) and Texans (conference record); Baltimore would lose tiebreaker to Jags (conference record), Dolphins (common games), Jets (common games).

At 9-7 (with win over Steelers and loss to Raiders), Baltimore would win tiebreaker with Steelers (h2h), Broncos (h2h), Dolphins (common games), Titans (conference record) and Texans (conference record); Baltimore would lose tiebreaker to Jags (conference record) and Jets (common games).

DENVER BRONCOS (8-6)

If The Playoffs Started Today: In; No. 6 seed
Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): at Philadelphia (L); vs. Kansas City (W)
Final Projected Record; Playoff Seeding: 9-7; No. 6 (wins tiebreaker with Tennessee on conference record)
Extra Point: Oddly enough, we project the Broncos will lose to Philly this weekend but still make the postseason. Here's how the Broncos would stand at 9-7:

At 9-7 (with loss to Eagles and win over Chiefs), Denver would win tiebreaker with Dolphins (common games), Titans (conference record) and Texans (conference record); Denver would lose tiebreaker with Ravens (h2h), Jaguars (conference record), Jets (common games) and Steelers (h2h)

At 9-7 (with win over Eagles and loss to Chiefs), Denver would win tiebreaker with Titans (conference record); Denver would lose tiebreaker with Ravens (h2h), Jaguars (conference record), Dolphins (conference record), Jets (conference record) and Steelers (h2h). The Broncos tiebreaker with the Texans would be strength of victory (can't project right now).

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS (7-7)

If The Playoffs Started Today: Out
Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): at New England (L); at Cleveland (L)
Final Projected Record; Playoff Seeding: 7-9; out
Extra Point: First thing's first. Winning in Foxboro is a long shot for the Jags, not to mention a trip to rejuvenated Cleveland to end the season. But should Jacksonville find a way to get to 9-7, here's how its tiebreakers would look:

At 9-7, Jacksonville would win tiebreaker with Titans (division record), Jets (h2h), Steelers (conference record) and Texans (h2h); Jacksonville would lose tiebreaker with Dolphins (h2h). For a tiebreaker with the Ravens or Broncos, see Baltimore and Denver entries above.

MIAMI DOLPHINS (7-7)

Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): vs. Houston (W); vs. Pittsburgh (L)
Final Projected Record; Playoff Seeding: 8-8; out
Extra Point: Wins over the Texans and Steelers would put the Dolphins in great shape, but they'd still need the Ravens or Broncos to lose one of their final two.

At 9-7, Miami would have a better record than the Texans and Steelers. Miami would win tiebreaker with Jaguars (h2h) and Jets (h2h); Miami would lose tiebreaker with Titans (h2h). For a tiebreaker with the Ravens or Broncos, see Baltimore and Denver entries above.

NEW YORK JETS (7-7)

Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): at Indianapolis (L); vs. Cincinnati (W)
Extra Point: The bad news? The Jets have to beat the unbeaten Colts and the playoff-bound Bengals to reach 9-7. Worst news? They'd still have to get significant help to have a shot at the postseason.

At 9-7, New York would win tiebreaker with Steelers (conference record), Titans (h2h) and Texans (h2h); New York would lose tiebreaker with Jaguars (h2h) and Dolphins (h2h). For a tiebreaker with the Ravens or Broncos, see Baltimore and Denver entries above.

PITTSBURGH STEELERS (7-7)

Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): vs. Baltimore (L); at Miami (W)
Extra Point: A common theme among the 7-7s is that winning out guarantees them precisely nothing, the Steelers included. Even with a win over the Ravens, Pittsburgh would still lose the division record tiebreaker with Baltimore. Here's how the tiebreakers break down for the Steelers:

At 9-7, Pittsburgh would have a better record than the Dolphins. Pittsburgh would win tiebreaker with Titans (h2h) and Broncos (h2h); Pittsburgh would lose tiebreaker with Jaguars (conference record), Jets (conference record), Ravens (division record or h2h), and Texans (common games).

TENNESSEE TITANS (7-7)

Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): vs. San Diego (W); at Seattle (W)
Final Projected Record; Playoff Seeding: 9-7; out
Extra Point: The Titans' poor conference record (5-7, if they win on Christmas) is crippling, but there's still hope.

At 9-7, Tennessee would win tiebreaker with Dolphins (h2h) and Texans (division record); Tennessee would lose tiebreaker with Jaguars (division record), Jets (h2h), Steelers (h2h), Ravens (conference record) and Broncos (conference record).

HOUSTON TEXANS (7-7)

Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): at Miami (L); vs. New England (L)
Final Projected Record; Playoff Seeding: 7-9; out
Extra Point: The only team in worse shape than the Titans is Houston, who lose tiebreakers with every team but the Dolphins and Steelers (and possibly the Broncos). Still, there's hope:

At 9-7, Houston would have a better record than the Dolphins. Houston would win tiebreaker with Steelers (common games); Houston would lose tiebreaker with Jaguars (h2h), Jets (h2h), Titans (division record) and Ravens (conference record). For a tiebreaker with Broncos, see Denver entry above

El Tejano
12-23-2009, 03:37 PM
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://content7.flixster.com/question/36/97/55/3697557_std.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php%3Ftopic_id%3D26927620&usg=__bMF6CEe7g3OQ1_dSl1Km-WWMabs=&h=197&w=266&sz=12&hl=en&start=20&tbnid=sjzhr3rPoDCIbM:&tbnh=84&tbnw=113&prev=/images%3Fq%3DSo%2Byour%2Btelling%2Bme%2Bthere%2527 s%2Ba%2Bchance%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dactive %26sa%3DG

SO YOU'RE TELLING ME THERE'S A CHANCE!!!!

stingray
12-23-2009, 10:29 PM
All these scenarios don't mean squat if the Texans show up flat against the Dolphins like they did against the Rams.

imatexan
12-23-2009, 11:31 PM
All these scenarios don't mean squat if the Texans show up flat against the Dolphins like they did against the Rams.

All these scenarios don't mean squat if they do not do what they did against the Rams, which is WIN! :pissed:

barrett
12-24-2009, 07:43 PM
For those of you who enjoying seeing our little helmet insignia in the playoff bracket check out this cool Playoff Scenario Generator:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=custom&14=44004111&15=41000001&16=55141415

You get to pick 'em and watch the scenario playout in front of you.

Maddict5
12-24-2009, 08:10 PM
For those of you who enjoying seeing our little helmet insignia in the playoff bracket check out this cool Playoff Scenario Generator:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=custom&14=44004111&15=41000001&16=55141415

You get to pick 'em and watch the scenario playout in front of you.

yeah thats a great little thing. basically we need to win out & hope all the other games go as expected except the chiefs have to upset either the broncos next week or cincy this week (and hope the nothing to play for jets upset them in week 17)

realistically imo our only realistic spot in the playoffs is to take the broncos place which means the only unrealistic result (apart from us winning out) we need is KC to win in denver next week. kc stinks but has shown a bit of offensive life lately and its a divisional game...... /reaching

what i think is funny is if we do somehow make the playoffs it'll be a doubleheader with the pats (week 17 here & the WC game in foxboro) just thought that was kind of quirky

qman_tx
12-24-2009, 10:22 PM
That generator is interesting. Played with it a little. Only way is if Denver loses 2 and 1 from Jets, Jags, Titans,

qman_tx
12-24-2009, 10:30 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=custom&15=41001001&16=15141455

Austrian
12-25-2009, 07:06 AM
That generator is interesting. Played with it a little. Only way is if Denver loses 2 and 1 from Jets, Jags, Titans,

Or if Pittsburgh beats Baltimore and the Ravens lose at Oakland.

Thorn
12-25-2009, 09:36 AM
We'll beat Miami and still be eliminated this weekend is my bet. The football gods have never been kind to Houston. Somewhere in history Houston pissed off the football gods as we've been paying for it ever since. I think it has something to do with Fud Buck, that miserable old man.

Maddict5
12-25-2009, 10:13 AM
We'll beat Miami and still be eliminated this weekend is my bet. The football gods have never been kind to Houston. Somewhere in history Houston pissed off the football gods as we've been paying for it ever since. I think it has something to do with Fud Buck, that miserable old man.

if we win, we cant be eliminated as far as i know unless cincy, ravens & denver all win. denver being the huge IF there

ObsiWan
12-25-2009, 10:43 AM

it happened when they fired Bum

Yankee_In_TX
12-25-2009, 10:46 AM
if we win, we cant be eliminated as far as i know unless cincy, ravens & denver all win. denver being the huge IF there

Not knowing who has what tie breakers, it is looking pretty grim.

That said, our fault for 1-5 in the division.

tedr
12-25-2009, 02:37 PM

I guess Denver winning is possible, but I can't see them winning at Philly. Philly's been hot since Dallas beat them, and the Broncos are pretty inconsistent right now. That said, the hot start they had might be enough for them to sneak in.

NitroGSXR
12-25-2009, 02:53 PM
what i think is funny is if we do somehow make the playoffs it'll be a doubleheader with the pats (week 17 here & the WC game in foxboro) just thought that was kind of quirky

The last time i remember that happening... It did not turn out well for us. Buffalo. We played them in our final game and destroyed them then took a 35-3 lead at halftime... Well... You know the rest.

TheRealJoker
12-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Tacks are no longer in the race :)