PDA

View Full Version : Frank Bush

Ryan
10-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Had a rough start, but if his defense continues to play like this, we could be heading to good things this season. Now if only we can blitz with relative effectiveness.:jogger:

TexansFanatic
10-18-2009, 07:12 PM
The defense has improved. No two ways about it.

TexCanada
10-18-2009, 07:13 PM
Had a rough start, but if his defense continues to play like this, we could be heading to good things this season. Now if only we can blitz with relative effectiveness.:jogger:

Ya we really don't disguise the blitz too well. If we could get some consistent pressure on the QB then this D could take another huge step forward. D played great the last few weeks though! With our offense, all we need is to hold teams to 3 scores or less.

Ryan
10-18-2009, 07:16 PM
I think getting Reeves back boosted that secondary alot, which as a whole boosted the defense. Not to mention the emergence of Pollard.:wild:

utahmark
10-18-2009, 07:19 PM
maybe we will be glad we didn't fire him after 3 games.:mail:

barrett
10-18-2009, 07:24 PM
you keep watching the intelligence on the field. everybody is exactly where they're supposed to be. especially against the run.

Fox
10-18-2009, 07:38 PM
It's usually not until week 16 that our D has turned it around and is playing this well ;). I'm happy for Frank that he's getting some results, hopefully they can sustain it.

barrett
10-18-2009, 07:38 PM
Houstonís defense has shut out the last three opponents in the second half...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6673635.html

Brisco_County
10-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Carson Palmer had 259 yards and a touchdown...

FIRE BUSH!

PapaL
10-18-2009, 07:48 PM
Paging Mario Williams. Mario Williams. The season has started.

jppaul
10-18-2009, 07:49 PM
Yeah, my only real problem with this D is our lack of pressure on the QB, which will undoubtedly come back and bite us in the ass one of these games.

To sum it up, We send the house, and get stuck in the doorway.

Yeah, I know that really doesn't work

Mr teX
10-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Yeah, my only real problem with this D is our lack of pressure on the QB, which will undoubtedly come back and bite us in the ass one of these games.

To sum it up, We send the house, and get stuck in the doorway.

Yeah, I know that really doesn't work

i could care less about the pressure & sacks. we're getting TO's when we need them. I don't know what we were in the takeaway/giveaway department last year at about this time but we're +1 now & would be more if slaton could hold on to the damn ball!!!!

Pantherstang84
10-18-2009, 08:52 PM
maybe we will be glad we didn't fire him after 3 games.:mail:

Careful. That kind of crazy talk will get you in trouble around here.

Maddict5
10-18-2009, 08:59 PM
they showed flashes from game one. now they're just getting consistent (ie not making boneheaded mistakes)

stingray
10-18-2009, 09:01 PM
Where's everyone who wanted to fire him after three weeks? So many knee-jerk posters on here. You have to give the guy at least a year before calling for his job.

ObsiWan
10-18-2009, 09:12 PM
Ya we really don't disguise the blitz too well. If we could get some consistent pressure on the QB then this D could take another huge step forward. D played great the last few weeks though! With our offense, all we need is to hold teams to 3 scores or less.

This is an interesting observation; one that was made by Wilson (or was it Ferguson?) when we first picked him up.

My question is, is the lack of disguising our blitzes on the players for not being better actors or on the coaches for not teaching them to be "better actors"?
:thinking:

GP
10-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Where's everyone who wanted to fire him after three weeks? So many knee-jerk posters on here. You have to give the guy at least a year before calling for his job.

This was a knee jerk that I think was warranted, due to the circumstances.

We stayed in-house instead of grabbing a non-Kubiak guy.

With the way the season began, it's easy to excuse the temper tantrums.

It looked like it was going to be really ugly.

And you know what? This season has just started. Got a loooong way to go.

buddyboy
10-18-2009, 09:26 PM
This was a knee jerk that I think was warranted, due to the circumstances.

We stayed in-house instead of grabbing a non-Kubiak guy.

With the way the season began, it's easy to excuse the temper tantrums.

It looked like it was going to be really ugly.

And you know what? This season has just started. Got a loooong way to go.

Exactly, if 6 weeks in the "season has just started", then certainly 3 weeks in it had just started as well. It is never warranted to call for someone's job after a measly 3 weeks.

infantrycak
10-18-2009, 09:30 PM
Exactly, if 6 weeks in the "season has just started", then certainly 3 weeks in it had just started as well. It is never warranted to call for someone's job after a measly 3 weeks.

It's always time to call for someone's job after three weeks.

Signed,

Joe Pendry & his pet turnstile Victor Riley.

Silver Oak
10-18-2009, 09:48 PM

stop being reasonable and rational! that kind of talk doesn't fit in around here!

HoustonFrog
10-18-2009, 10:00 PM

Just like its knee jerk to call people to the mat because of one half of football vs the Cards and one half vs the Bengals. There is still alot to prove.

barrett
10-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Houston's Defense has shut out the last three teams in the second half.

Zero points. If you're keeping score.

TexansFanatic
10-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Houston's Defense has shut out the last three teams in the second half.

Zero points. If you're keeping score.

That is incredibly impressive. Halftime adjustments. That's what great coordinators do. Could it be Houston has one?

steelbtexan
10-18-2009, 10:59 PM
Just like its knee jerk to call people to the mat because on one half of football vs the Cards and one half vs the Bengals. There is still alot to prove.

Yep

I ask all of the non knee jerk people when is it OK to ask for a 32nd ranked OC/DC's head?

Brisco_County
10-18-2009, 11:08 PM
Yep

I ask all of the non knee jerk people when is it OK to ask for a 32nd ranked OC/DC's head?

When the season's over.

dalemurphy
10-18-2009, 11:08 PM
Just like its knee jerk to call people to the mat because on one half of football vs the Cards and one half vs the Bengals. There is still alot to prove.

There is still a lot to prove, in what respect? The counter argument to the highly irrational fire Bush threads was that the defense is improving and making some plays. And, as the season moves on, it should continue to improve. Well, clearly that has happened. And, you only show your ignorance when you refuse to admit that you were wrong to call for Bush's firing after two or three weeks of the season.

Are you sure you aren't a Cowboy fan? you should be!

steelbtexan
10-18-2009, 11:16 PM
There is still a lot to prove, in what respect? The counter argument to the highly irrational fire Bush threads was that the defense is improving and making some plays. And, as the season moves on, it should continue to improve. Well, clearly that has happened. And, you only show your ignorance when you refuse to admit that you were wrong to call for Bush's firing after two or three weeks of the season.

I know this response wasn't to me but I want to withhold judgement until after the season.

I'm encouraged by the progress the defense though.

steelbtexan
10-18-2009, 11:19 PM
When the season's over.

Good answer

After 7 yrs of crappy football patience isn't my greatest quality though.

I do agree with you though.

Lucky
10-18-2009, 11:31 PM
And, you only show your ignorance when you refuse to admit that you were wrong to call for Bush's firing after two or three weeks of the season.

The Texans were on a pace to become the worst defense in NFL history after 3 games. Yes, they have improved since. Whether they continue to improve is TBD. Considering the history of this team, it's foolish to assume they will automatically improve.

The facts are that Frank Bush didn't have the resume to be considered an NFL defensive coordinator when handed the job by Kubiak. His defense was horrid at the start of the season. And it has put together two good defensive 2nd halfs (not complete games). Frank(ly), I think the Texans performance has more to do with talented players rising to the occasion than anything the coaching staff has done, scheme wise.

And is there anything more knee jerk (or predictable), than the Sunshine Club calling out the Doubting Kubiaks after a big win that takes the club to the Holy Grail of .500 (again)? There is still a lot for this defense (and team) to prove. In every respect.

steelbtexan
10-18-2009, 11:50 PM
The Texans were on a pace to become the worst defense in NFL history after 3 games. Yes, they have improved since. Whether they continue to improve is TBD. Considering the history of this team, it's foolish to assume they will automatically improve.

The facts are that Frank Bush didn't have the resume to be considered an NFL defensive coordinator when handed the job by Kubiak. His defense was horrid at the start of the season. And it has put together two good defensive 2nd halfs (not complete games). Frank(ly), I think the Texans performance has more to do with talented players rising to the occasion than anything the coaching staff has done, scheme wise.

And is there anything more knee jerk (or predictable), than the Sunshine Club calling out the Doubting Kubiaks after a big win that takes the club to the Holy Grail of .500 (again)? There is still a lot for this defense (and team) to prove. In every respect.

The truth has been spoken.

Prove it for an extended period of time.

This team is schitsophrenic. (SP?)

silvrhand
10-18-2009, 11:59 PM
The truth has been spoken.

Prove it for an extended period of time.

This team is schitsophrenic. (SP?)

which kills me as a fan.. we win games I don't think we'll win, and lose games that we should win...

barrett
10-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Even in the first few games where we were getting torched statistically there were plenty of things to be positive about. They have continued to improve and more importantly, have developed some consistency. During the second game of the season, the defense made corrections and played well, more headaches were to come but you see that same good stuff you were seeing even in week 2 when we were "on pace to be the worst defense ever".

One of the traits of this regime that I think will payoff in the end is they are not a knee jerk organization. They don't panic when things aren't going well.

Lucky
10-19-2009, 12:13 AM
One of the traits of this regime that I think will payoff in the end is they are not a knee jerk organization. They don't panic when things aren't going well.
I agree that this is a trait. Another trait of this regime is that it is not a winning organization. I'm still waiting for the payoff.

barrett
10-19-2009, 12:20 AM
you may have had to wait longer than some of the others but if you don't believe in stability then I'm not sure what you believe in. Throughout the years there have been many winning teams but all of the Dynasty's and teams that can be counted on to at least be competitive year after year have the same trait.

dalemurphy
10-19-2009, 12:20 AM

You know your argument is weak when oversight, misdirection, and outright dishonesy is at the center of it. Where to start?

First, this is a thread defending Frank Bush. I have been plenty critical of Kubiak but that isn't what we are talking about. You knee jerks were calling for Bush's head after 2 weeks.. which is ridiculous!

* What the heck does the history of this team have to do with the likelihood that Bush's defense will continue to improve?

*Bush had a resume' to be considered a DC. Of course he did. It is reasonable to think other prospective applicants would've been better but he certainly was qualified enough to be considered. Unless, it is your argument that only former DCs should be considered for future DC positions? You may run into some trouble with that argument in 10 years or so.

*This defense played an excellent half against Tennessee, a complete game gem against Oakland, and two very good second halfs against Arizona and Cincinnati (ON THE ROAD).

*If the coaching staff has nothing to do with the good halves the past two weeks, why do you suppose the same players all of a sudden stop the opposing offense in the second half? YOu can't even be honest enough to credit the coaches with good halftime adjustments? It's the fault of the coaches when the team struggles in the first half or in the first few weeks, but it is only to the credit of the players when the defense plays well. Now that's funny!

What is sad are fans like you who can't enjoy the strides this team has made and can't credit the people who have had a hand it in, simply because you can't admit when you're wrong. Funnier still is that part of you will be rooting against the team next week so that you can come on this board and rip the fans and the members of the team you've decided to be disrespectful towards (Bush!).

steelbtexan
10-19-2009, 12:26 AM
I agree that this is a trait. Another trait of this regime is that is not a winning organization. I'm still waiting for the payoff.

LOL

But after today they are at .500

SAMURAITEXAN
10-19-2009, 01:05 AM
This game was so important for us to least remain contention for playoff or winning season record. I'm so glad and proud of the Texans. The game started 2AM and ended at 5AM(here in Japan) and I am sleepy as hell but it was well worth it.

To me, our D seems to be improved including today's game(especially 2nd half) + 0.5 game + 0.5 game total of 2 games. Can someone analyze the game and exlpain why we look so much better?

Go Texans!!!

Lucky
10-19-2009, 01:15 AM
...if you don't believe in stability then I'm not sure what you believe in.
I believe in winning. Those teams you mentioned were stable because they were winning. Not mired in mediocrity.

* What the heck does the history of this team have to do with the likelihood that Bush's defense will continue to improve?
I don't know how to respond to that. If past performance has no bearing on future performance, then why are you assuming the Texans will improve based upon their performance during the past 2 games?

*Bush had a resume' to be considered a DC. Of course he did.
And what was that? Being a defensive assistant and position coach on some bad Cardinal and Texans defenses? Being a long time friend of Gary Kubiak? What were Frank Bush's credentials that qualified him as a NFL defensive coordinator.
*This defense played an excellent half against Tennessee, a complete game gem against Oakland, and two very good second halfs against Arizona and Cincinnati (ON THE ROAD).
All true. Tennessee has proven to be an abortion of an offense. The Raiders have UFL talent on offense. And Bush's defense did not come out of the box ready to play against the last two opponents (ON THE ROAD). All told, the Texans still have one of the worst defenses (statisically speaking) in the NFL.

What is sad are fans like you who can't enjoy the strides this team has made and can't credit the people who have had a hand it in, simply because you can't admit when you're wrong. Funnier still is that part of you will be rooting against the team next week...
Fans like me pay the bills of this team. Fans like me pay the taxes that built this stadium. Fans like me are why we have NFL football in Houston again.

I will never root against this team. Never. But, I will always call it the way I see it. I see a .500 team. Again. I never bought into the excuses of why this defense failed so miserably to begin the season. I expect them to play at the level they have shown during the 2nd halves of the past two games. I expect them to play at or near that level during both halves of every game from here on.

When I see that type of performance on a consistent basis, rest assured that I will complement those responsible. When. Until then, it is ignorant to proclaim others ignorance of feats not yet accomplished.

barrett
10-19-2009, 01:34 AM
I believe in winning. Those teams you mentioned were stable because they were winning.

Wow. Really? It's actually the other way around.

Marcus
10-19-2009, 01:49 AM
stop being reasonable and rational! that kind of talk doesn't fit in around here!

It certainly doesn't. Not around this ping-pong message board.

Now, even I make knee-jerk statements, and have even created a knee-jerk thread from time to time. It's known as unreasonable and irrational venting of frustration after a loss. When we predictably, given past precedent, lay a big fat egg against the 49ers next Sunday, there will be more unreasonable and irrational venting of frustrations.

But to be arrogant enough to come back later after you've cooled off and regained control over your senses, and actually say with a straight face that it was "warranted" ??????

:choke:

b0ng
10-19-2009, 01:50 AM
I don't see how I could make any reasonable or sane judgement about the defense when they haven't played sane or reasonably. They were the worst defense by far in the NFL to start the season, but have stepped up in spots. This game seemed to be much more complete by the D but it's quite easy to tell when they are about to fold up. It's usually when the offense does something retarded with the ball.

I still don't know why the hell Jacques Reeves has seemed to have such an impact with his return, and how we can make a guy who was sitting on the street a serviceable safety but whatever. It's working.

Marcus
10-19-2009, 02:13 AM
When I see that type of performance on a consistent basis, rest assured that I will complement those responsible. When. Until then, it is ignorant to proclaim others ignorance of feats not yet accomplished.

:lol: Bulllllll Shhhit!!!!!!

They could win every single game from here on out, and go on to win the Super Bowl, it wouldn't matter to you one bit. Your mind is already made up, and nothing will change your mind. You want Kubiak and Bush gone, you don't care what happens from now on.

Maddict5
10-19-2009, 03:28 AM
That is incredibly impressive. Halftime adjustments. That's what great coordinators do. Could it be Houston has one?

but we dont make halftime adjustment since we get so outcoached every game :rolleyes:

HoustonFrog
10-19-2009, 08:14 AM

Well, as most here know I am a Cowboy fan but stand by posting and supporting here. Trying to funny or not, the comment made no sense and had nothing to do with anything.

I'm not sure what your point was. There is alot to prove in that they hired someone from the inside...on a team with a horrible defense before. They show flashes during certain games in one half at a time. When a team starts playing consistent ball on defense for a few games and not one half a game, then you get the respect. Just to add, I never said fire Bush. Discussed the D and made a soap joke but never said fire the guy. I just think its plain stupid to get so high and low week to week and to call people out for one week predictions or actions. It's called reality and I'm soaking in it.

Thanks for making it all so simple and logical. The same people were weakly arguing the D looked good early besides the big runs, the missed tackles and the score.

dalemurphy
10-19-2009, 08:31 AM
I believe in winning. Those teams you mentioned were stable because they were winning. Not mired in mediocrity.

I don't know how to respond to that. If past performance has no bearing on future performance, then why are you assuming the Texans will improve based upon their performance during the past 2 games?

what are you talking about? You were arguing that the history of the team makes you not believe that Frank Bush will be able to turn this defense into a pretty good one. This is his first season and you obviously think a lot of the defensive talent since you argue that all the good play of the defense is to the credit of the defensive talent and not the coaching. I'm just not sure what 2005 has to do with this defense.

And what was that? Being a defensive assistant and position coach on some bad Cardinal and Texans defenses? Being a long time friend of Gary Kubiak? What were Frank Bush's credentials that qualified him as a NFL defensive coordinator.

Successful head coaches and coordinators often come from similar situations. Do you need a list?: Mike Smith, Mike McCarthy, John Harbaugh, Bill Cowher... three of those guys were special teams coaches and McCarthy was an OC for a HORRIFIC team and offense in SF and those guys all became head coaches. There has to be a first time for every coach and I'm not sure why a position coach would be held accountable for an entire defense when he only coaches one position and has limited say in the game plan.

All true. Tennessee has proven to be an abortion of an offense. The Raiders have UFL talent on offense. And Bush's defense did not come out of the box ready to play against the last two opponents (ON THE ROAD). All told, the Texans still have one of the worst defenses (statisically speaking) in the NFL.

Tennessee quit after week 3. They are losers who can't handle adversity. I'm sure you are in love with Jeff Fisher yet his team has quit on him, totally! Interesting that a bum like Kubiak continues to get good effort from his teams regardless of the circumstances . I wonder why that is? My point is that Tennessee's play now is not indicative of their play the first 3 weeks. Oh, and didn't Oakland just run all over Phillie and beat them yesterday? Regardless of how bad Oakland is, the defense held them to much fewer yards and points than the league is allowing the Raiders on average. Oh, and their are now 12 teams in the NFL that allow more YPG than the Texans... not bad considering how the season started. I don't think their stats look anything like "one of the worst defenses in the NFL" and their play certainly doesn't.

Fans like me pay the bills of this team. Fans like me pay the taxes that built this stadium. Fans like me are why we have NFL football in Houston again.

I will never root against this team. Never. But, I will always call it the way I see it. I see a .500 team. Again. I never bought into the excuses of why this defense failed so miserably to begin the season. I expect them to play at the level they have shown during the 2nd halves of the past two games. I expect them to play at or near that level during both halves of every game from here on.

Man, talking about setting up some criteria to guarantee failure. You expect them to allow 0 points for the rest of the season and about 75 total yards a game? Okay, I guess you are too clever for the rest of us... Get the pink soap out. We need to fire Bush because he doesn't have the experience and ability to meet Lucky's expectations!

Apparently NOT!

(My writing is in bold, above... I tried to do partial quotes but couldn't figure it out. I just don't want people thinking Lucky is schitzophrenic)

Mr. White
10-19-2009, 08:36 AM
His defense gave up 400+ yards the first 3 games. Now he finally looks competent as a DC.

It's hardly time for an "I told you so" thread. Especially when the Colts, Dolphins, and Patriots are still on the schedule.

dalemurphy
10-19-2009, 08:42 AM

His defense gave up 400+ yards the first 3 games. Now he finally looks competent as a DC.

It's hardly time for an "I told you so" thread. Especially when the Colts, Dolphins, and Patriots are still on the schedule.

If what I told you was that you were premature in your denegration of him and he just needs a couple weeks to get things straight, then I think this is exactly the time for "I told you so". Now, if you want to dredge up a link where I claimed that Bush will be the greates DC in the history of the league and this defense will shutdown Indy and NE, then I will gladly back off of those statements.... At least for now!

Mr. White
10-19-2009, 09:02 AM
If what I told you was that you were premature in your denegration of him and he just needs a couple weeks to get things straight, then I think this is exactly the time for "I told you so". Now, if you want to dredge up a link where I claimed that Bush will be the greates DC in the history of the league and this defense will shutdown Indy and NE, then I will gladly back off of those statements.... At least for now!

Kubiak had zero margin for error on the Bush hire with all the credible DC's that were out there this offseason.

Judging by that criteria, 400+ yards in the first 3 games was inexcusable. My only expectation for this team is continuous improvement. If a coach, player, or GM is getting in the way of it, then I want them out. I just don't root for coaches.

The "I told you so's" won't mean jack if Manning torches us for 400+. We'll be posting in the "Fire Frank Bush" thread again. He hasn't proved much yet IMO.

While there are a few weapons on the Bengals offense, Bob Bratkowski doesn't exactly keep defensive coordinators up at night.

HoustonFrog
10-19-2009, 09:03 AM

That's the problem. Things aren't straight. They still aren't playing complete games and though the halftime adjustments are nice I wouldn't say one half a game equals "I told you so." Its premature and ridiculous. When they start showing it week in and week out and they aren't a ? at times, then you say his system is implemented.

Second Honeymoon
10-19-2009, 09:14 AM
Frank Bush has done a good job getting the defense to not suck as much as they did. In fact, the defense has been showing production and is trending up for sure. Cushing is a playmaker and his effort and play are to be commended. The scheme itself has shown itself to be more attack-oriented and we have begun to see some improvement on giving up the big play.

All this being said, to act like those who called out the defense and its coaching were jumping the gun or knee jerk is just ridiculous. Did you not watch the first few weeks? The defense was a sivve and they they were being outplayed, outcoached, and outworked.

Now that things have shown improvement you dont hear people calling for changes or peoples jobs. Anyone who wanted a change or improvement was warranted in feeling that way. Luckily, it looks like change and improvement is coming internally and through hard work and preparation. That is good for all of us fans.

In summation, this shouldn't be a time where people are trying to prove who was right or who was wrong, we should be happy that the team is back to average football team status and not staring a 4-12 or 5-11 season in the face. Those who said 'stay the course, things will improve' have been rewarded by things actually improving. Those who said 'this defense sucks, we need a change' were warranted as well because the defense was sucking and there seemed to be no change in performance and production between Smith and Bush.

Glad to able to be proud of our team this weekend and any road win in the NFL is to be cheered for and appreciated. The Bengals were a team that was trending upwards and had a lot to play for. Great job everyone in the organization.

Where is the Schaub hating now? Guy makes mistakes and does frustrate me with the injuries, but the guy can read a defense and knows how to distribute the ball so damn well. Matt is our MVP without a doubt and is borderline Pro Bowl at this point in time. Matt will always have a place in my heart after cleaning the pallete of so many years of inept and pathetic QB play.

Oh and you are welcome, Steeler fans.

dalemurphy
10-19-2009, 09:23 AM
Frank Bush has done a good job getting the defense to not suck as much as they did. In fact, the defense has been showing production and is trending up for sure. Cushing is a playmaker and his effort and play are to be commended. The scheme itself has shown itself to be more attack-oriented and we have begun to see some improvement on giving up the big play.

All this being said, to act like those who called out the defense and its coaching were jumping the gun or knee jerk is just ridiculous. Did you not watch the first few weeks? The defense was a sivve and they they were being outplayed, outcoached, and outworked.

Now that things have shown improvement you dont hear people calling for changes or peoples jobs. Anyone who wanted a change or improvement was warranted in feeling that way. Luckily, it looks like change and improvement is coming internally and through hard work and preparation. That is good for all of us fans.

In summation, this shouldn't be a time where people are trying to prove who was right or who was wrong, we should be happy that the team is back to average football team status and not staring a 4-12 or 5-11 season in the face. Those who said 'stay the course, things will improve' have been rewarded by things actually improving. Those who said 'this defense sucks, we need a change' were warranted as well because the defense was sucking and there seemed to be no change in performance and production between Smith and Bush.

Glad to able to be proud of our team this weekend and any road win in the NFL is to be cheered for and appreciated. The Bengals were a team that was trending upwards and had a lot to play for. Great job everyone in the organization.

Where is the Schaub hating now? Guy makes mistakes and does frustrate me with the injuries, but the guy can read a defense and knows how to distribute the ball so damn well. Matt is our MVP without a doubt and is borderline Pro Bowl at this point in time. Matt will always have a place in my heart after cleaning the pallete of so many years of inept and pathetic QB play.

Oh and you are welcome, Steeler fans.

SH, I agree with a lot of what you're saying but it would be nice if reactionary fans could realize and acknowledge how ridiculous they were to crucify Frank Bush after two or three weeks. Hell, it was happening in the preseason. The guy had a 6th round rookie starting at CB, a rookie LB, a very rusty Dunta at the other CB and was changing the defensive system.

Sometimes I freakout and overreact also. But, I gladly come on to the message board and cheerfully admit that I overrreacted and perhaps things are much better/ or worse than I thought. For instance, I bashed Okoye mercilessly all preseason but have whole-heartedly retracted much of what I said. Thank god!

nero THE zero
10-19-2009, 09:27 AM
That's the problem. Things aren't straight. They still aren't playing complete games and though the halftime adjustments are nice I wouldn't say one half a game equals "I told you so." Its premature and ridiculous. When they start showing it week in and week out and they aren't a ? at times, then you say his system is implemented.

That complete game you're talking about just happened... yesterday.

I'm not ready to crown Frank Bush's defense as the next '00 Ravens, but to act like it's not improving or that they still haven't put together a complete game is a farce. They just did it yesterday. And, it's not like it's the Raiders they were doing this against either, they were held down a team with Chad Johnson, Chris Henry, and NFL rushing leader Cedric Benson. Further, they held this team to 6 whole yards in one quarter and held the NFL leading rusher to 44 yards.

I just don't understand how people can sit here and try to fool anyone into thinking we've still yet to string together 2 good defeinsive halves.

HoustonFrog
10-19-2009, 09:38 AM
That complete game you're talking about just happened... yesterday.

I'm not ready to crown Frank Bush's defense as the next '00 Ravens, but to act like it's not improving or that they still haven't put together a complete game is a farce. They just did it yesterday. And, it's not like it's the Raiders they were doing this against either, they were held down a team with Chad Johnson, Chris Henry, and NFL rushing leader Cedric Benson. Further, they held this team to 6 whole yards in one quarter and held the NFL leading rusher to 44 yards.

I just don't understand how people can sit here and try to fool anyone into thinking we've still yet to string together 2 good defeinsive halves.

I never said they aren't improving. But big plays still happen. You are playing well and then Dunta gets beat and the safety is nowhwere in a bomb to Ocho. Then they give up some yards after the turnover before the half. I wouldn't call yesterday a complete game when there are still mental breakdowns that let teams back in.

But overall, they have shown alot more than before. Cushing has been a find. They have kept their assignments against the run and stopped giving up the cutback runs, etc. There is great improvement. I just HATE the bipolarness of a .500 team and the extremes people go to. One week it is fire everyone. The next it is threads of "great D", "have we turned the corner" and "was that the biggest or best win ever." It's silly. The NFL season is a marathon, not a sprint and if they lose to the 49ers and Gore has a big day then you are right back at square 1. I'd like to see a winning team with good grades after 16 games.

MissouriTexan
10-19-2009, 09:39 AM
For instance, I bashed Okoye mercilessly all preseason but have whole-heartedly retracted much of what I said. Thank god!

Has Okoye's play finally turned around this season? I haven't been able to watch the games;how's he doing?

TimeKiller
10-19-2009, 09:39 AM
Um...can anyone remember the Jets killing us on 3rd down, the Titans AND Jaguars and half of a cardinal moving the ball on the D at will?

I was getting to the point of wanting to see a change, be it on the field or in the leadership so -1 point for me for not liking crap defense or who was running it. They've still had less good than bad, especially if you count preseason. If rolling the gullotine out to scare up some production worked I say we bring that thing everywhere.

HOU-TEX
10-19-2009, 09:41 AM
IMO, our secondary is still the major weakness of our defense, while our LB crew has become the strength. To me, Cushing is the primary reason our D became dominant in the 2nd half due to his ability to make plays. Something this defense has sorely missed. Two forced fumbles and a pick denied any possibility of a comeback by Cincy.

I don't recollect calling for Bush's job, but I'm not going to say he's proven to be our answer at DC until the season has played itself out.

In the end, it was a fun game to watch as a Texans fan. Other than the D getting my BP up a little in the 1st half, it was the 1st Sunday this season that I haven't had to choke down aspirin for a bangin headache due to high BP.

dalemurphy
10-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Has Okoye's play finally turned around this season? I haven't been able to watch the games;how's he doing?

He played great against Oakland and Arizona. And, he played pretty well versus Jacksonville and I think he played well yesterday, but I haven't looked at it on my DVR yet.

Second Honeymoon
10-19-2009, 09:48 AM
SH, I agree with a lot of what you're saying but it would be nice if reactionary fans could realize and acknowledge how ridiculous they were to crucify Frank Bush after two or three weeks. Hell, it was happening in the preseason. The guy had a 6th round rookie starting at CB, a rookie LB, a very rusty Dunta at the other CB and was changing the defensive system.

Sometimes I freakout and overreact also. But, I gladly come on to the message board and cheerfully admit that I overrreacted and perhaps things are much better/ or worse than I thought. For instance, I bashed Okoye mercilessly all preseason but have whole-heartedly retracted much of what I said. Thank god!

I acknowledge that Bush wasn't going to get fired after Week 4 but if that level of non-producitivity and ineptitude would have continued, he would have deserved to been fired at some point and possibly before the season had concluded. Now, if they can continue the upward trend we may just see Kubiak and Bush back as coaches next year and perhaps deservedly so.

Thankfully Bush looks to have instilled some fire into most of the defensive squad (Dr. Mario..paging Dr. Mario...Where are you Dr. Mario) and the scheme looks to be working better. Palmer isn't Peyton Manning or Brady but he is a damn good QB and we did a good job containing him and the Bengal's running game. This wasn't a Raiders win at home.

I have never been an enthusiastic supporter of Kubiak but I have given him credit where he has earned it. He jettisoned Carr after only one year and that at least showed me he wasn't concerned about admitting mistakes. He has turned our offense from one of the worst in NFL history to a well-above average offense that isn't afraid to throw the ball downfield and take chances. He has stayed behind his coaches and players and gotten them to not quit when things were looking bad. His teams have played like garbage sometimes but I don't remember them quitting a whole lot. The closest I have ever seen them come to quitting was the Jets game on Week 1.

One thing is for sure, I have no problem being 'wrong' or 'mistaken' if it means the Texans are winning football games especially when we are still relevant and not just playing out the string. Sometimes those meaningless wins late in season are counterproductive preventing you from grabbing Adrian Peterson at #8 rather than Okoye at #10. This win was great.

GO TEXANS

dalemurphy
10-19-2009, 09:48 AM
Um...can anyone remember the Jets killing us on 3rd down, the Titans AND Jaguars and half of a cardinal moving the ball on the D at will?

I was getting to the point of wanting to see a change, be it on the field or in the leadership so -1 point for me for not liking crap defense or who was running it. They've still had less good than bad, especially if you count preseason. If rolling the gullotine out to scare up some production worked I say we bring that thing everywhere.

TK, our secondary was Bennett, McCain, Ferguson, Barber... Wilson was injured. Reeves was injured. Dunta wasn't back yet really. Quin hadn't won the job yet. And, it was Cushing's first action. By the way, they kept it close until the end and returned an INT for a TD.

dalemurphy
10-19-2009, 09:52 AM
By the way, the Texans will be playing SF and Buffalo the next two weeks. So, for you stat hounds, I can pretty much guarantee the defense will be ranked in the top half of the league in two weeks. The only way we lose either of the next two games is if we lose the turnover battle by at least 2 in those games. I don't see any way either opponent scores 20 points on the Texans.