PDA

View Full Version : Steve Slaton's Fumbleitis....

TexansFight
10-18-2009, 06:55 PM
is driving my crazy. What the hell is going on here. If you are going to put the ball on the carpet that many times, you should not see the field. We need to draft a STUD RB in the first round if we can't get Berry or Mays as safety.

Kimmy
10-18-2009, 07:11 PM
I agree -- Maybe OD needs to give him a talk. Few years back OD couldn't hang on to anything!

They have GOT to get SS under control with that ....

barrett
10-18-2009, 07:18 PM
Daniels fumbles too. He's just been lucky. His fumbles have been out of bounds.

It is a concern but I feel like the staff is handcuffed by his ability. For every bad read or fumble he makes, you see him make a little move here or key block there and you have to keep putting him in there. I think they're loosing their trust in him in key situations though.

rmartin65
10-18-2009, 07:45 PM
One of the reasons I have been pimping out Toby Gerhart from Stanford...

He does not fumble, and always seems to get positive yardage.

CloakNNNdagger
10-18-2009, 07:53 PM
Fumbling has cost us in the past.......and will cost us in the future, if not corrected. The problem is that this may be part of his pedigree, as illustrated by his college experience.

Ryan
10-18-2009, 07:55 PM
they should go beanie wells on him this week and make him carry a football everywhere he goes and offer someone $1,000 if they can strip him.

TexansFanatic
10-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech, 5-11/235 (junior).

I've been beating the drum for a franchise running back since the first draft in 2002.

It's time.

TheIronDuke
10-18-2009, 08:27 PM
I'd like to see Moats in there. SS is dancing in the backfield instead of the one cut and go that our scheme requires. And I'm sick of Slaton being good for two freaking fumbles a game.

barrett
10-18-2009, 08:30 PM
I'd at least like to see him spell him because he seems to respond to it positively.

swtbound07
10-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Steve Slaton is a franchise back. You can get less production from the spot if you want to. Didn't steve put up like 175 yards today? But yeah...hell yeah lets replace him! He fumbles too much!

And Schaub! Screw his 400 yards, he threw a pick. lets draft a qb in the first round. Lets ignore our crappy secondary and replace a position we don't need to replace

jppaul
10-18-2009, 08:53 PM
Slaton made a lot of really good plays, one of the things I have noticed since he added weight is how many more tackles he breaks, unfortunately he suffers from the same malady as a lot of tackle breakers, he tends to fumble.

Peterson is a great example of the risks of fighting for extra yardage, which is the same thing that caused Slaton's fumble today.

CloakNNNdagger
10-18-2009, 08:53 PM
Steve Slaton is a franchise back. You can get less production from the spot if you want to. Didn't steve put up like 175 yards today? But yeah...hell yeah lets replace him! He fumbles too much!

And Schaub! Screw his 400 yards, he threw a pick. lets draft a qb in the first round. Lets ignore our crappy secondary and replace a position we don't need to replace

Slaton only had 19 carries for 43 yds rushing (2.2 yds/carry). His other 102 yds came from 6 passing plays.

ObsiWan
10-18-2009, 08:55 PM

Would you be this forgiving if, like last week, Schaub's pick was the winning score for the other team? Or, like Chris Brown's fumble, it cost us a chance to win?

just askin'....

MojoMan
10-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Slaton is a good back, but not a great back. Ideally, he would be the #2 back behind someone who is truly a franchise quality back. In fact, the RB position is still arguably the weakest position on the Texans roster.

I usually am opposed to suggestions that the Texans spend a first round pick on a RB, but considering the strength of personnel at most other positions, this next draft might finally be the year. Then Slaton can come off the bench to provide a very strong second option.

Kimmy
10-18-2009, 09:53 PM
they should go beanie wells on him this week and make him carry a football everywhere he goes and offer someone $1,000 if they can strip him.

Oooooo .... I LIKE!!!!!!!!

RagingBull
10-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Slaton is a good back, but not a great back. Ideally, he would be the #2 back behind someone who is truly a franchise quality back. In fact, the RB position is still arguably the weakest position on the Texans roster.

I usually am opposed to suggestions that the Texans spend a first round pick on a RB, but considering the strength of personnel at most other positions, this next draft might finally be the year. Then Slaton can come off the bench to provide a very strong second option.

I would still rather have an elite cornerback or safety, but there is no doubt that we need a top round RB.

infantrycak
10-18-2009, 10:04 PM
is driving my crazy. What the hell is going on here. If you are going to put the ball on the carpet that many times, you should not see the field. We need to draft a STUD RB in the first round if we can't get Berry or Mays as safety.

I agree -- Maybe OD needs to give him a talk. Few years back OD couldn't hang on to anything!

They have GOT to get SS under control with that ....

Do you actually examine the circumstances at all? Just curious. Putting aside Slaton for a moment, OD "fumbled" twice that should have been overturned and in any event on doing exactly what he does best, going over the middle and then taking a big hit, the ball ended up on the carpet. You can't expect people to catch in between the hashes and take big hits without fumblimg.

Would you like to trade Slaton and OD both?

ObsiWan
10-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Slaton only had 19 carries for 43 yds rushing (2.2 yds/carry). His other 102 yds came from 6 passing plays.
So he is like Reggie Bush
:D
j/k

GP
10-18-2009, 10:18 PM
I'd at least like to see him spell him because he seems to respond to it positively.

I agree.

Seems to need rest. Seems to fumble after he's been used a lot. Not sure if it plays out this way, but wondering if most of his fumbles come later in the game as opposed to earlier in the game.

TheRealJoker
10-18-2009, 10:18 PM
I'd like to see Moats get more playing time. Brown ran well today but I was surprised to see him get the carries between the 20s instead of Moats after Slaton put the ball on the ground.

m5kwatts
10-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Next year is not a good running back draft class, not the year to take a 1st round RB

Free agency or trade is the better option

HJam72
10-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Brown had a 5 yds. per carry avg. today and I think part of the answer is just more carries for him. I don't know about Moats. I'd take most of that back if Slaton would just keep both arms on the ball any time a defender has contact with him. One of his fumbles today happened when a defender was obviously trying to strip him and instead of doing that he just kept trying to slip away; so, he did without the ball. Mainly happened because he didn't want to turn around and face the wrong way, but you gotta hang on to the ball first and worry about yardage after that.

Even on the fumble that we challenged and got back, one arm on the ball again, because he was still trying to spin away.

HJam72
10-18-2009, 10:37 PM
Oh, and OD's fumbles ARE more forgivable, because he does take a lot of shots up the middle immediately after receptions.

MojoMan
10-18-2009, 10:39 PM
I would still rather have an elite cornerback or safety, but there is no doubt that we need a top round RB.

I agree.

I can only see four positions that the Texans are at all likely to address with a number one pick this year. In the following order:

CB
RB
FS
DT

These are the Texans positions of some notable weakness. All of the other positions are adequately manned, except the OL. But since the offensive tackle positions are set, the Texans will not select a guard in the first round. Unless something changes, it has to be one of the four positions above.

I am with you. I would recommend a CB first. But if there is not one who fits the bill at the time the Texans draft, then a RB or possibly a FS would be great as well.

DocBar
10-18-2009, 11:52 PM

SS is looking more and more like the back he was drafted to be: 3rd down, make catches out of the backfield. He had a great rookie year, but he's stinking it up as a RB this season. I don't understand the reference to Schaub. He's been pretty damned solid this season. Sure his pick-6 was the game winner for the Cards last week, but we're not even in that game w/o Schaubs performance and we still had a chance for OT at the end of the game.

ObsiWan
10-19-2009, 12:06 AM
I'd like to see Moats get more playing time. Brown ran well today but I was surprised to see him get the carries between the 20s instead of Moats after Slaton put the ball on the ground.

Me too actually. I wonder if Moats was a bit "under the weather" and Kubiak just didn't publicize it...??
:thinking:

steelbtexan
10-19-2009, 12:12 AM
I agree.

I can only see four positions that the Texans are at all likely to address with a number one pick this year. In the following order:

CB
RB
FS
DT

These are the Texans positions of some notable weakness. All of the other positions are adequately manned, except the OL. But since the offensive tackle positions are set, the Texans will not select a guard in the first round. Unless something changes, it has to be one of the four positions above.

I am with you. I would recommend a CB first. But if there is not one who fits the bill at the time the Texans draft, then a RB or possibly a FS would be great as well.

I hope our draft goes something like this

CB
OG
OG
S
DT
RB

I hope that 4 of positions can be filled in the draft and 2 in FA. Paticularly DT in FA. I'm tired of drafting the Okams of the world and seeing them fail miserably. (Casey Hampton or Richard Seymour please)

RagingBull
10-19-2009, 12:14 AM
I agree.

CB
RB
FS
DT

Well, hopefully we will be picking in the late 20's or early 30's so it wouldn't be unreasonable to get a guard or center there.:whip:

TexansFight
10-19-2009, 12:21 AM
Do you actually examine the circumstances at all? Just curious. Putting aside Slaton for a moment, OD "fumbled" twice that should have been overturned and in any event on doing exactly what he does best, going over the middle and then taking a big hit, the ball ended up on the carpet. You can't expect people to catch in between the hashes and take big hits without fumblimg.

Would you like to trade Slaton and OD both?

OD is effective in what he does in catching the ball as a TE. Also, yes his fumbles have not been recovered. That is what matters. I couldn't give a shit if he fumbled all the time out of bounds when getting tackled on the sidelines. Fumbles LOST matter to me.

Steve Slaton has sucked so far running the ball. He was great last year in stretches but he hasn't touched what he did for us last year. If we are going to average less than 3 yards a rush, I would rather have a guy who will at least hold on to the ball. I have no idea why Moats does not get any carries.

barrett
10-19-2009, 12:35 AM
I agree.

Seems to need rest. Seems to fumble after he's been used a lot. Not sure if it plays out this way, but wondering if most of his fumbles come later in the game as opposed to earlier in the game.

Interesting question. I have no idea how to dig up stats like that. I know some people here do though. Anyone?

I don't think you should be surprised to see Brown between the 20's. He's not just our "physically out of place short yardage back" (he's way too tall with a high center of gravity) he's also our "change of pace back".

silvrhand
10-19-2009, 12:48 AM
Slaton is going to have to sit a game IMHO, he's fumbling the ball entirely too much and we'll go after a back this year in the draft. Not only is Slaton fumbling he's making poor decisions on his running lanes and lacks patience.

The screen pass earlier today is a perfect example, he go out with two blockers in front and blazed past his blockers only to get tackled by the last guy on the way to a TD. He could have simple stuck up behind the guards big but and set him up for the block and run down the field the rest of the way.

NitroGSXR
10-19-2009, 02:19 AM
I agree.

Sure I can buy that but he was resting before his second fumble came in the 4th. Chris Brown was in the game for either 4 or 5 plays spanning around 3 minutes. Seems to me that should be plenty of rest for our starting RB. He still fumbled the ball on his first carry back (or was it the second?).

To be honest... He didn't look tired to me. He looked loose. He was playing loose. You've got to hold the ball in your biceps tight at all times. FWIW, Owen also fumbled during this drive. Just a very sloppy protection drive and those sloppy protection drives are what kills teams.

swtbound07
10-19-2009, 09:55 AM
With a top rated offense and a secondary gaping with holes, some of you people want a first round running back. I'll never understand. Your willing to give crappy players 5-6 years to hit their stride, but willing to discard a guy who lit it up last year. Maybe its the weight. Maybe its a sophomore slump. Perhaps its that our offensive line is GODAWFUL at running back. Maybe the guy is still putting up 100+ yards a game. I dont understand this "running back is a need" sentiment that everyone has latched onto. Chris Brown??? Ryan Moats? These are the people you want taking over for Slaton? This is a ridiculous discussion.