PDA

View Full Version : Will we make a trade before the deadline?

TheRealJoker
10-13-2009, 12:02 PM
With both of our starting guards on IR and a running game that is performing poorly do you think we're gonna make a trade before this week's deadline to try and shore up one of the many weaknesses on our team?

I think the return of Reeves, the emergence of Quinn, and the arrival of Pollard will provide enough of a lift for our secondary that we wont need to make a drastic trade to patch a gaping hole.

On the DL Amobi is coming on strong and our NTs have been serviceable the last few weeks. We could probably make a move here but I dont think that there is anyone available who would provide a huge upgrade unless we give up something big.

On the OL we are all of a sudden extremely thin on an already weak interior OL. Studdard and White are career backups who are spot starters at best but we will be starting at least one of them long term. Caldwell has starter potential but is a rookie and Kubiak doesn't like playing rookie OL until they're absolutely ready or he used a 1st round pick on them (Winston didn't get in till halfway through his first season). Dont forget we still have Chris Meyers starting at center, Schaub will not be comfortable in the pocket with this interior OL.

At RB i'm comfortable with Slaton/Moats between the 20s. Dont know if Chris Brown has the burst we need in a short yardage back to get to the LOS full steam ahead before the OL loses at the POA like last week. I wouldn't mind us making a trade for someone like Michael Bush, but dont think he'd be worth the price with what he'd be able to accomplish behind this interior OL. We'll have to stick with Brown in short yardage or get real creative like the Dolphins did last night and run some wildcat running back direct snaps. I'd like to see Casey get in some wildcat packages at some point this season.

Blake
10-13-2009, 12:30 PM
With our 2 starting guards going down, I think we will need another swing interior lineman.

Sounds like a FA job to me. On the practice squad we have Brett Helms a rookie center and a rookie tackle Adam Stenavich.

But who is available? Or worth trading for?

ObsiWan
10-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Our worse need, as you said, is in the middle of the D-line. No one is giving up a DT stud or prospect at this point.
I don't see anyone giving up anything we'd want - do you?

dc_txtech
10-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Caldwell has starter potential but is a rookie and Kubiak doesn't like playing rookie OL until they're absolutely ready or he used a 1st round pick on them (Winston didn't get in till halfway through his first season).

Charles Spencer (3rd round pick) started right off the bat. I'm guessing that there is more to Caldwell not playing than just draft position.

badboy
10-13-2009, 12:49 PM
I suggest we bring back ND Kalu and convert to guard. He can also be our power back/kick returner.

DerekLee1
10-13-2009, 12:59 PM
Let's trade for Barack Obama. Maybe they'll award him the Lombardi trophy right away for what he MIGHT be able to do.

badboy
10-13-2009, 01:09 PM
Let's trade for Barack Obama. Maybe they'll award him the Lombardi trophy right away for what he MIGHT be able to do.Ok, but don't we have enough players that do nothing?

BigBull17
10-13-2009, 01:12 PM
With both of our starting guards on IR and a running game that is performing poorly do you think we're gonna make a trade before this week's deadline to try and shore up one of the many weaknesses on our team?

I think the return of Reeves, the emergence of Quinn, and the arrival of Pollard will provide enough of a lift for our secondary that we wont need to make a drastic trade to patch a gaping hole.

On the DL Amobi is coming on strong and our NTs have been serviceable the last few weeks. We could probably make a move here but I dont think that there is anyone available who would provide a huge upgrade unless we give up something big.

On the OL we are all of a sudden extremely thin on an already weak interior OL. Studdard and White are career backups who are spot starters at best but we will be starting at least one of them long term. Caldwell has starter potential but is a rookie and Kubiak doesn't like playing rookie OL until they're absolutely ready or he used a 1st round pick on them (Winston didn't get in till halfway through his first season). Dont forget we still have Chris Meyers starting at center, Schaub will not be comfortable in the pocket with this interior OL.

At RB i'm comfortable with Slaton/Moats between the 20s. Dont know if Chris Brown has the burst we need in a short yardage back to get to the LOS full steam ahead before the OL loses at the POA like last week. I wouldn't mind us making a trade for someone like Michael Bush, but dont think he'd be worth the price with what he'd be able to accomplish behind this interior OL. We'll have to stick with Brown in short yardage or get real creative like the Dolphins did last night and run some wildcat running back direct snaps. I'd like to see Casey get in some wildcat packages at some point this season.

I would LOVE to get our hands on Bush. I wanted him that year, but Oakland took him. Damn them.

Mr. White
10-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Since it seems like we're hard up for linemen right now, I don't see how it could hurt to bring in Levi Jones.

We wouldn't even have to trade for him.

Spike
10-13-2009, 01:26 PM
Charles Spencer (3rd round pick) started right off the bat. I'm guessing that there is more to Caldwell not playing than just draft position.

Necessity...

gtexan02
10-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Let's trade for Barack Obama. Maybe they'll award him the Lombardi trophy right away for what he MIGHT be able to do.

Ok, but don't we have enough players that do nothing?

Can we please leave politics out of football?

badboy
10-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Can we please leave politics out of football?Why? Is it any more frustrating than the Texans?

gtexan02
10-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Why? Is it any more frustrating than the Texans?

Yes, the NSZ is frustrating enough..I dont want it spilling over into my football :)

HTown2ATX
10-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Can we please leave politics out of football?

I agree that it gets irritating. I try to keep those worlds seperate myself.

However, it's damn funny to hear some of these sports fans (not talking about this board, but the sports media in general) go nuts over the Rush/Rams thing.

I just cracked up during my whole lunch reading some of the drool from a reaction to a foxsports article by jason whitlock. OMG!

Priceless!!!!

This is the only board I really visit or give a flip about, so, hoping it stays politics free, but the other sites I occasionally visit, I hope people keep going nuts, it's just too damn funny....sorry. The only place that still tops sports fans going of about politics is reading craigslist rant and rave section (at least here in austin)...wow....so much going over there that is pure comedy gold...especially when someone tries to pontificate and be taken seriosuly. Half the crap has no basis or reference. Too good to pass up IMO.

:bender:

BigBull17
10-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Trades are really hard to swing in football, unless its low paid bit players.

beerlover
10-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Anybody heard of Cooper Carlisle? drafted for Alex Gibbs ZBS by Broncos in 2000 (Rick Smith 1st year in front office w/Broncos) 4th rd. out of Florida. now plays for Oakland.

If the Texans do address OL depth, which is a serious possiblity, there is a good chance its a player like this. low cost, low maintenace, already knows system(ZBS)coaches(Gibbs)GM(Rick Smith)players(Chris Myers).

Kulluminatii
10-13-2009, 02:43 PM
I would LOVE to get our hands on Bush. I wanted him that year, but Oakland took him. Damn them.

Only way you would get Bush is if you take Al too:whistle:.

Seriously though, I think Bush should be our #1 back, McFadden isn't cutting it; I am sure he would shine elsewhere...but definitely not in Oakland. Maybe Al will put him up for sale?

m5kwatts
10-13-2009, 02:48 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/13/redskins-shopping-anthony-montgomery/

I'd give up the 5th/6th from SDG for this guy

76Texan
10-13-2009, 04:37 PM
I thought the Texans would keep Adrian Jones, 6'4-330 lbs, but he didn't make the cut.

He didn't play well during PS, but I thought a veteran Guard who can also play Tackle (for cheap) is worth keeping.

Wonder if he has any other issue???

jppaul
10-13-2009, 04:41 PM
I too would like to trade for Bush, but I remember hearing something like Davis wanted a 2nd for him, I don't think so at that price, maybe a 3 and a 5.

m5kwatts
10-13-2009, 07:45 PM
I thought the Texans would keep Adrian Jones, 6'4-330 lbs, but he didn't make the cut.

He didn't play well during PS, but I thought a veteran Guard who can also play Tackle (for cheap) is worth keeping.

Wonder if he has any other issue???

Adrian might still be a FA, anyone know?

Goatcheese
10-13-2009, 09:30 PM
I wouldn't mind poaching some guys off the bad teams.

Maybe snag Shaun Rogers off the Stains to play the Nose.
C.J. Ah you has looked pretty good in the Rams DT rotation.

Of course you have to throw in the Aso request. The guy is only being thrown at a little over once a game. Through 4 games he only gave up 5 receptions. Beast.

m5kwatts
10-13-2009, 09:38 PM
I wouldn't mind poaching some guys off the bad teams.

Maybe snag Shaun Rogers off the Stains to play the Nose.
C.J. Ah you has looked pretty good in the Rams DT rotation.

Of course you have to throw in the Aso request. The guy is only being thrown at a little over once a game. Through 4 games he only gave up 5 receptions. Beast.

I'd give up our 1st rounder next year for Rodgers

mussop
10-13-2009, 10:31 PM
Anthony Montgomery | #94 | DT

Washington Redskins | Height: 6-6 Weight: 330 Age: 25

Might be worth a look. Probably could be had pretty cheap. Has had a better career than Okam so far.

m5kwatts
10-13-2009, 10:41 PM

Might be worth a look. Probably could be had pretty cheap. Has had a better career than Okam so far.

He's an interesting target but I'm guessing the Redskins asking price will start at a 3rd rounder at the least. Don't know if thats worth it.

badboy
10-14-2009, 12:44 PM

Wonder if he has any other issue???That is pretty heavy for an O lineman in ZBS unless he has real quick feet and can slide well. Maybe that was the problem. I don't know the guy.

badboy
10-14-2009, 12:47 PM

Might be worth a look. Probably could be had pretty cheap. Has had a better career than Okam so far.i have Montgomery on my FA list.Skins would probably not try to match an offer due to Hainsworth's huge contract. Maybe we could offer the conditional pick from TJ?

TheRealJoker
10-14-2009, 12:49 PM
With Montgomery's height I have reservations about whether he can consistently keep his pad level lower than the OL to maintain leverage.

smell the glove
10-14-2009, 01:39 PM
What do you think the Giants would want for Jacobs? Word is they are growing more and more fond of giving Bradshaw extra snaps

El Tejano
10-15-2009, 10:05 AM
That doesn't mean they will get rid of Jacobs. They, unlike us, know the value of a power back.

No More 8-8's
10-15-2009, 10:15 AM
I wouldnt want to make a trade for someone else, those draft picks are too valuable.
I wouldnt mind us trading dunta away and acquiring some more pics.

badboy
10-15-2009, 10:27 AM
I wouldnt want to make a trade for someone else, those draft picks are too valuable.
i guess it is a philosophy or something, but most of the time, I'd rather have an established vet with an NFL record than a draft pick that has no NFL history. Not always of course, just most of the time. Asomugha versus Patrick Robinson for example.

pbat488
10-15-2009, 10:28 AM

I hope to God we don't trade Dunta away. He and JR give us a decent starting CB tandem, take away one of them and replace with either Quin or Fred Bennett and we lose a lot in the secondary.

With that said, if an incredible, Al Davis level-of-stupid offer comes for Dunta such as next years first (where we can possibly select Berry, Suh, or Mays), then pull the trigger on that instantly cause the Raiders ain't gonna win more than 4 this year.

Also, welcome to the boards!

gtexan02
10-15-2009, 10:33 AM
I hope to God we don't trade Dunta away. He and JR give us a decent starting CB tandem, take away one of them and replace with either Quin or Fred Bennett and we lose a lot in the secondary.

With that said, if an incredible, Al Davis level-of-stupid offer comes for Dunta such as next years first (where we can possibly select Berry, Suh, or Mays), then pull the trigger on that instantly cause the Raiders ain't gonna win more than 4 this year.

Davis already gave up this years first to the Pats for Seymour.

Also, the rookie vs vet thing only makes certain amounts of sense. Rookies have no NFL experience so you dont know how they'll end up playing, but vets only have experience and success in certain systems. Plenty of players only work in certain systems and totally flop in others

No More 8-8's
10-15-2009, 10:38 AM

Also, welcome to the boards![/QUOTE]

Thanks for welcome......but purely hypothetical, would you take a deal with the Raiders giving a second round pick for Robinson?

mussop
10-15-2009, 10:49 AM

Thanks for welcome......but purely hypothetical, would you take a deal with the Raiders giving a second round pick for Robinson?[/QUOTE]

Considering where they are likely to pick , I would. That is asically a first round pick. Also it most likely would be worth enough to move up in the draft and get a special player like say Berry. And depending on how bad we finish maybe even a Suh. Factor in Robinsons contract issues and its a no brainer.

badboy
10-15-2009, 11:26 AM

Thanks for welcome......but purely hypothetical, would you take a deal with the Raiders giving a second round pick for Robinson?[/QUOTE]
I would greatly appreciate a #2 from Raiders for DR. I think the draft is deep with CBs this year. Some of which can move to FS. If we could get Mays in our first (I am projecting selecting at #14), with Oaklands #2 I'd lock in Toby Gerhart HB/FB 6'1"235 4.55 rated as 3rd best back, our #2 Jerome Wilson CB/FS/KR 6'1" 185 4.48 3rd Kyle Wilson CB/FS 5'10" 186 4.42 (cutting Molden and Bennett) 4th Thomas AUstin OG/C/T 6'3" 310 5.16 for my center 5 A Eric Olsen C/LG/T 6'4" 305 5.26 my LG 5B for Travis Johnson best BPA

ObsiWan
10-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Davis already gave up this years first to the Pats for Seymour.

Also, the rookie vs vet thing only makes certain amounts of sense. Rookies have no NFL experience so you dont know how they'll end up playing, but vets only have experience and success in certain systems. Plenty of players only work in certain systems and totally flop in others
I thought the Seymour trade was for the first in 2011...?
:thinking: