PDA

View Full Version : What kind of guard could Winston be?

Jackie Chiles
10-12-2009, 06:44 PM
Let me preface this by saying that what I am about to say is not something that I am hopeful will happen or even that I believe it should happen. Think of this as an exercise of a bored and frustrated fan. In reality I would say the chances of Winston seeing meaningful time at guard are slim to none. Slim if we get a new set of coaches and GM, none if the current set stays the same.

So here is the scenario: We finish up the rest of this season at 8-8 give or take a game either way. Our running game does not improve like we are hoping it will. The draft rolls around and sitting there at our pick in the middle of round 1 is a nice big talented RT prospect.

Do you get the itch to draft him and slide Winston to guard?
If so, which guard position is he best suited?
Is he too tall to play guard?
Is he being paid too much for a guard?
What kind of a transition period would he need to feel comfortable?

Mostly I am looking for ways to bring in some bulk and talent to our interior line. I think Winston might fit that description and he also has good athleticism for his size. This scenario is not ideal, obviously, because we would be ignoring some glaring needs in the secondary and defense in general but I think it might make for some decent discussion. Let me know what you think.

76Texan
10-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Let me preface this by saying that what I am about to say is not something that I am hopeful will happen or even that I believe it should happen. Think of this as an exercise of a bored and frustrated fan. In reality I would say the chances of Winston seeing meaningful time at guard are slim to none. Slim if we get a new set of coaches and GM, none if the current set stays the same.

So here is the scenario: We finish up the rest of this season at 8-8 give or take a game either way. Our running game does not improve like we are hoping it will. The draft rolls around and sitting there at our pick in the middle of round 1 is a nice big talented RT prospect.

Do you get the itch to draft him and slide Winston to guard?
If so, which guard position is he best suited?
Is he too tall to play guard?
Is he being paid too much for a guard?
What kind of a transition period would he need to feel comfortable?

Mostly I am looking for ways to bring in some bulk and talent to our interior line. I think Winston might fit that description and he also has good athleticism for his size. This scenario is not ideal, obviously, because we would be ignoring some glaring needs in the secondary and defense in general but I think it might make for some decent discussion. Let me know what you think.
If I was to do it:

1. Draft a RT
Slide Winston to RG
3. If I can, I will try to find a C who is as athletic as Myers but stronger.
Slide Myers to LG where he played for the Broncos.

DONE!

TheRealJoker
10-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Have the Texans ever worked him at guard? Winston and Brown are the only two guys on the OL that can get a consistent push in the running game. I wouldn't mind shifting him over to guard and having Butler come in at RT if it means we can gain a yard every now and then!!!

m5kwatts
10-12-2009, 07:16 PM
I can tell you already that Winston would hate the idea. Someone should call and ask him on 610 tomorrow, beware though you might get chewed out lol.

Runner
10-12-2009, 07:31 PM
What kind of guard would he be? Too tall.

The shorter, heavy tackles would get under his pads and push him around. He's a tackle.

TimeKiller
10-12-2009, 07:40 PM
I don't really think the course of action should hypothetically be changing Winston to G but getting better Gs. I think Winston is a pretty decent RT and we've got 2 good starting OTs but making the interior stronger shouldn't take away from the outsides. Brisiel doesn't get beat up as much as Myers or Studdard but he's not much of a bulldozer either. It doesn't matter how athletic you can make an OL if they can't take block when it's time to block. Clearly, VERY clearly the answer is to have stronger (even if slower) guys in the middle. At least one for cheese's sake. ONE guy you can get into any situation (like, the ones we seem to be a part of on a weekly basis...coincidence?) and say that guy will push a mountain 1 yard if he has to.

What kind of G would Winston be? The same kind of T he is with Myers and Studdard manning the middle.

Jackie Chiles
10-12-2009, 07:49 PM

The shorter, heavy tackles would get under his pads and push him around. He's a tackle.

Fair criticism but there are some great tall guards out there. Hutchinson is 6'5, Steinbach is 6'6, Gallery was (injured now I believe) playing real well at guard at about 6'7, Leonard Davis is at least 6'6.

dtran04
10-12-2009, 07:56 PM
On the subject of guards, it will be interesting since Brisel looks like he will be out. Either White or Caldwell will have to step in.

Goatcheese
10-13-2009, 02:44 AM
Why don't we just try out some unbalanced line? Put Winston and Brown side by side so you have a solid plug. Sort of like the Wildcat, but leaving the QB in to manage the play.

TE - LG - C - RG - RT - LT - TE

thunderkyss
10-13-2009, 03:04 AM
Eric Winston is our biggest problem in the running game, and our biggest liability in the passing game. If we're going to slide him anywhere, it needs to be towards the direction of the bench.

I'm watching our first possesion of the second half of tha Arizona game.
2&1 Hou-22 Darnel Docket Blows by Eric Winston & Molests Slaton in the backfield.
3&1 Hou-22 Winston throws the most pathetic cut block I've ever seen, misses Gerald Hayes who goes on to abuse Slaton some more.

I just happen to be watching these plays, as I read this thread...... but they are very, very, very common.

kiwitexansfan
10-13-2009, 03:14 AM
Disgruntled?

Guards get paid far less than tackles in general.

thunderkyss
10-13-2009, 03:25 AM
Our next possesion, Haggens beats Winston around the edge, and hit's Schaub's arm as he throws.

About 4 plays later, Haggens beats Winston again around the edge, Brisiel is mauled, & Schaub ischased out of the pocket because of it.

dalemurphy
10-13-2009, 07:09 AM
I think this is an excellent idea. If the Texans really want their best 5 linemen out there. I think the Oline would be better than it's been all season with this lineup:

Brown, Caldwell, Myers/White, Winston, Butler

Butler is definitely better in pass protection, IMO. that would make the right side of the line highly athletic. Butler is excellent at cutting on the backside. We would by physically much stronger at guard and more athletic at tackle. Man, too bad it won't happen!

badboy
10-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Disgruntled?

Guards get paid far less than tackles in general.Pitts was a LT (big old check) that moved to Guard.

76Texan
10-13-2009, 05:13 PM
I think this is an excellent idea. If the Texans really want their best 5 linemen out there. I think the Oline would be better than it's been all season with this lineup:

Brown, Caldwell, Myers/White, Winston, Butler

Butler is definitely better in pass protection, IMO. that would make the right side of the line highly athletic. Butler is excellent at cutting on the backside. We would by physically much stronger at guard and more athletic at tackle. Man, too bad it won't happen!

I don't mind seeing this.
I would rotate Caldwell and White at one Guard spot though.

nero THE zero
10-13-2009, 05:31 PM

He's only an inch taller than Pitts and the same height as Brisiel.

nero THE zero
10-13-2009, 05:34 PM
Disgruntled?

Guards get paid far less than tackles in general.

Winston just signed a $30M contract and is signed through 2013.

76Texan
10-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Winston just signed a $30M contract and is signed through 2013.

Winston probably wouldn't mind the move inside then!
And he shouldn't!

Goldensilence
10-13-2009, 05:58 PM
Does anyone else find it coincidental that with Weary playing RG Winston was looking like one of the better young RT in the league. Enter Mike Brisiel and suddenly Winston doesn't look so good.

People might want to blame Winston, but I think there should be more blame on the guards play( or lack of).

I'm not keen on the idea myself, but if it puts Brisiel and Studdard on the bench for the foreseeable future. I'm down.

76Texan
10-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Does anyone else find it coincidental that with Weary playing RG Winston was looking like one of the better young RT in the league. Enter Mike Brisiel and suddenly Winston doesn't look so good.

People might want to blame Winston, but I think there should be more blame on the guards play( or lack of).

I'm not keen on the idea myself, but if it puts Brisiel and Studdard on the bench for the foreseeable future. I'm down.

I really don't know.
Maybe we had Weary helping out Winston more.
But now that he's a vet, they put him on an island almost exclusively.

At any rate, I was just listening to Winston on 610 radio.
He said it's still up in the air whether it's White or Caldwell at Guard.

He tried hard to avoid the question of having Butler at RT and him moving into Guard.

But at the end, he said he would do whatever it takes for the good of the team.
What I thought he'd said!

m5kwatts
10-13-2009, 09:20 PM
Anna Megan Raley just tweeted this (yeah I know, bad source)

@AnnaMegan Eric Winston is the only player ready to play any position on O-line after seeing both Chester Pitts and Mike Brisiel get hurt

http://www.twitter.com/annamegan