PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Half Defense - What made the Difference?

Speedy
10-12-2009, 06:36 PM
After the Cards roll up 297 total yards, 21 points, 18 first downs, and Warner going 20-23 in the 1st half, they can only manage just about the exact opposite in the 2nd half. Zero points, only 43 yards total offense just ONE 1st down, Warner 6-15 for 40 yards, all 5 possesions ended in punts with 4 of those possessions being 3 & outs.

What did it? How did the Texans D put up those kind of DOMINATING numbers in the 2nd half?

TheRealJoker
10-12-2009, 06:40 PM
The DL started pressuring Kurt consistently and we had some tremendous individual efforts in the secondary on 3rd downs. In particular Dunta and Reeves knocking the ball out of the hands of the Cardinals top 2 WRs.

I'm sure part of it can be chalked up to the Cardinals offense falling asleep at the wheel and kind of coasting then not being able to turn it back on when we got ourselves back in the game.

Makes you wonder what the Cardinals could've done had Schaub just thrown it away instead of the pick 6. Would the Cards have driven down the field and scored? Or would we have gotten the ball back and finished them off?

Very impressive flash from the defense, now we need to get consistent everywhere and play complete games the rest of this season!!!

m5kwatts
10-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Execution was the difference. Everyone makes everyone else's job easier. When the DB's cover there's more time to get to the QB and vice versa.

76Texan
10-12-2009, 07:05 PM
I haven't paid close attention to the D, but I would say better pressure up the middle (where I said - before the game - would be the key to stopping the Cards.)

Texan_Bill
10-12-2009, 07:10 PM
I haven't paid close attention to the D, but I would say better pressure up the middle (where I said - before the game - would be the key to stopping the Cards.)

When you rewatch it look for the Texans playing more man to man than zone. I think HOU-TEX brought that up earler today.

Jackie Chiles
10-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Jacques Reeves was borderline shut down caliber in the 2nd half, I was very impressed. I don't even mind that PI penalty he had because that call could go either way and if he doesn't play it like that its almost a guarantee that Boldin makes the catch.

brakos82
10-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Jacques Reeves was borderline shut down caliber in the 2nd half, I was very impressed. I don't even mind that PI penalty he had because that call could go either way and if he doesn't play it like that its almost a guarantee that Boldin makes the catch.

That was the play that Boldin likely would've had 6, right? I'll take a big penalty over big points any day.

ATXtexanfan
10-12-2009, 09:39 PM
lets just hope the switch went on permanently. amazed by the D in the 2nd half.

DocBar
10-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Why can't we get that kind of effort for an entire game? These guys are pro's making a ton of money. This D has shown flashes of greatness, but all too often it's too little, too late. Hopefully, we'll see that effort against a Bengals squad that's playing some pretty good football.

dalemurphy
10-12-2009, 11:54 PM
Why can't we get that kind of effort for an entire game? These guys are pro's making a ton of money. This D has shown flashes of greatness, but all too often it's too little, too late. Hopefully, we'll see that effort against a Bengals squad that's playing some pretty good football.

Because we have 2 rookies, a safety signed two weeks ago starting on a defense that is brand new for everybody. It's improved and will continue to improve- particularly if our key players remain healthy. Reeves coming back and shakin off the rust was also a factor.

we got that kind of effort for an entire game last week.

jppaul
10-13-2009, 12:50 AM
For some reason in the first half, Bush decided that long looping stunts were the best way to get there effectively, giving Warner a crap load of time.

In the second half saw a lot more LB blitzes and pass rushing sans Dline games.

DerekLee1
10-13-2009, 12:54 AM
Jacues Reeves shook off the "first game of the year" anxiety and settled in. I've always though he took too much crap from fans and that he's a solid 2nd corner in this league. He and Pollard getting comfortable in this defense are what made the difference. I think we finally have the right combination to sport an NFL-caliber secondary. Not "great", but good enough to keep us in games. With a potent offense like we have, that's enough for now. We still need a premiere safety and another run-stuffing DT. And a better center and RT. We're THISCLOSE to an elite team.

DocBar
10-13-2009, 09:32 AM
Because we have 2 rookies, a safety signed two weeks ago starting on a defense that is brand new for everybody. It's improved and will continue to improve- particularly if our key players remain healthy. Reeves coming back and shakin off the rust was also a factor.

we got that kind of effort for an entire game last week. That's a BS copout of an answer. We started 2 rookies and a safety signed 2 weeks ago because the D sucked ball sacks before we started them. This team either doesn't have the leadership, players or coaches, or the heart to lay it all on the line for a full 60 minutes.

Showtime100
10-13-2009, 09:38 AM
Something is wrong with the coaching. The blame could be put on the players I don't argue, but I still blame the generals, not the soldiers.

El Tejano
10-13-2009, 10:24 AM
I would say because the Cards stopped attacking our weakness - throwing to the RB on screens and stuff to keep us honest. This may have been because they started throwing TDs to receivers and thought they could have their way with us, abandoning what was moving the ball for them.

HOU-TEX
10-13-2009, 10:30 AM
When you rewatch it look for the Texans playing more man to man than zone. I think HOU-TEX brought that up earler today.

I'm not a 100%, but I remember several times we're in a zone coverage in the first half getting our asses ripped. It seemed like their WRs were running routes right where the holes in the zone were.

I think there was a lot more man coverage in the 2nd half. IIRC, both of the plays Dunta and Reeves knocked the ball out of the WR's hands were man.

GP
10-13-2009, 10:45 AM

Combination of both: Straight-up-the-field pass rush by dline, AND man-to-man by the DBs.

This caused Warner to pay closer attention to the pocket, which was collapsing faster with a straight-up-the-field pass rush by dline, and it made him hesitate throwing the ball because WRs weren't altering their routes and finding empty holes in the field (because there was no longer a consistent zone look by our DBs, like we had int he 1st half).

He was hesitating, pulling the ball down and then trying to put it back up again, and it messed up the timing of both him AND his WRs.

Richard Smith's defensive playcalling would not have made the adjustment at half. Both Shanahan and Bush, IMO, made huge adjustments at half.

That's why I think this team is truly figuring things out. Now if we can just get to the point where we're making those adjustments during the game, and not during half!

BigBull17
10-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Jacues Reeves shook off the "first game of the year" anxiety and settled in. I've always though he took too much crap from fans and that he's a solid 2nd corner in this league. He and Pollard getting comfortable in this defense are what made the difference. I think we finally have the right combination to sport an NFL-caliber secondary. Not "great", but good enough to keep us in games. With a potent offense like we have, that's enough for now. We still need a premiere safety and another run-stuffing DT. And a better center and RT. We're THISCLOSE to an elite team.

Reeves made some great plays. So did Dunta. If they get rolling, with Quinn as nickle, we could be ok. Pollard looked good, IMO.

Mr teX
10-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Reeves made some great plays. So did Dunta. If they get rolling, with Quinn as nickle, we could be ok. Pollard looked good, IMO.

i agree, both guys made plays when they needed to. Neither is a #1 cb but they are both solid. Someone said it earlier, but i think we might've found the right combination in our secondary with Dunta, Reeves, Wilson & Pollard & as long as they stay healthy i think we can be serviceable back there for the rest of the season.

Texan JBZ
10-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Dialing up the blitz. Bush started blitzing Ryans and Cushing up the middle, and Diles and Cushing off the edges. It made a world of difference.

badboy
10-13-2009, 02:24 PM
We had a penalty on the opening kick off and then Duane Brown was flagged before the first snap. The offense immediately decided to let the defense have a shot at the opponent. The D said "well if you guys are going to play like that we will too. You know the Coach says we do things as a team." At half time, Gary said to his co-ordinators "Guys, you know I love you and I am loyal to a fault. It is one thing to lose but another to play worse than we did against the Jets. So, if you want a job tomorrow each of you better come up with a plan." Then the two Cs look at each other and nodded at this sage advice coming from such a young head coach. The rest is history.

I hear from my behind the scenes sources that Kubes is already thinking of more sage advice when it is needed against the Bengals.

infantrycak
10-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Making tackles and Jacques Reeves.

I'm not a 100%, but I remember several times we're in a zone coverage in the first half getting our asses ripped. It seemed like their WRs were running routes right where the holes in the zone were.

And that.

76Texan
10-14-2009, 11:59 AM

I think there was a lot more man coverage in the 2nd half. IIRC, both of the plays Dunta and Reeves knocked the ball out of the WR's hands were man.

I've reviewed the game; and no, we did not play any more man in the second half than the first.

It was just the Cards' last drive before the half where we played zone 3 times consecutively that sticks in people's mind the most.

But then, like in their first drive of the game, we were in man coverage throughout for 7 plays. Then they were in a power formation for the rushing TD, so that one doesn't count.

76Texan
10-14-2009, 12:06 PM

I am confirmed! :pirate:

We practically had no pressure up the middle in the first half.

The Cards had five drives in the second half.
We were able to generate pressure on 8 occasions, at least once in every drive; and they were all signigicant.

On each of those occasions, there were at least one pressure point up the middle;
a few times, multiple interior pressure points;
a few times with additional pressure off the edge.

They contributed wholly or partly to stop each of their drives (3 to 2).

silvrhand
10-14-2009, 01:59 PM
I am confirmed! :pirate:

We practically had no pressure up the middle in the first half.

The Cards had five drives in the second half.
We were able to generate pressure on 8 occasions, at least once in every drive; and they were all signigicant.

On each of those occasions, there were at least one pressure point up the middle;
a few times, multiple interior pressure points;
a few times with additional pressure off the edge.

They contributed wholly or partly to stop each of their drives (3 to 2).

Which is the keys to beating Warner and the cardinals, he doesn't scramble outside the box, get your ends around and collapse the center. You have to do this with your front four and maybe +1 and Warner will go down.

A lot of us talked about this before the game, was it a personnel change in the second half mostly or was it the same people that actually decided to come and play?

76Texan
10-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Which is the keys to beating Warner and the cardinals, he doesn't scramble outside the box, get your ends around and collapse the center. You have to do this with your front four and maybe +1 and Warner will go down.

A lot of us talked about this before the game, was it a personnel change in the second half mostly or was it the same people that actually decided to come and play?
They just played better all there is!

I'm gonna have to count blitz, but I don't think we blitz much more than the first half, if we did.

Double Barrel
10-14-2009, 03:28 PM
The Texans played tentative football in the first half, and the Cards played tentative football in the second half.

Vinny
10-14-2009, 03:51 PM
The Cardinals have not been very good this year (to date) so it doesn't seem illogical that they could struggle for a half despite making hay in the first two quarters.

badboy
10-14-2009, 04:32 PM

A lot of us talked about this before the game, was it a personnel change in the second half mostly or was it the same people that actually decided to come and play?Collapse the center? Is that in our play book?

barrett
10-15-2009, 09:01 AM
You know, it appeared to me that a major factor in the D improving was that the offense got it together. It was 7 nothing with 2 minutes to go in the first half. The offense hadn't converted a single 3rd down and had a blocked FG. The D just broke down. It's understandable to me. The main thing that I saw change for the Defense was that the Offense started staying on the field and giving the Defense a chance.

I didn't see much from a scheme perspective that changes as much. You can also attribute some of it to the Cardinals playing somewhat more conservative as well. I don't think the mailed it in like we did against the Raiders but they were playing a bit more "ball control" at least until it was 21 - 14.

Something I saw in this game that I know for a fact that happened in the Oakland game was that the Defense played very physical. By late in the 3rd you start to see it taking it's effect. Warner hurries throws when he's sensing pressure (even when it wasn't all that close) and WR's are dropping balls over the middle when their worried about getting clobbered.

It doesn't seem to be very popular to feel good about this team but for the most part I do. We're still inconsistent and apparently that's going to take longer than expected to grow out of. However, when I watch the games I see so much more good than bad.

76Texan
10-15-2009, 05:29 PM
You know, it appeared to me that a major factor in the D improving was that the offense got it together. It was 7 nothing with 2 minutes to go in the first half. The offense hadn't converted a single 3rd down and had a blocked FG. The D just broke down. It's understandable to me. The main thing that I saw change for the Defense was that the Offense started staying on the field and giving the Defense a chance.

I didn't see much from a scheme perspective that changes as much. You can also attribute some of it to the Cardinals playing somewhat more conservative as well. I don't think the mailed it in like we did against the Raiders but they were playing a bit more "ball control" at least until it was 21 - 14.

Something I saw in this game that I know for a fact that happened in the Oakland game was that the Defense played very physical. By late in the 3rd you start to see it taking it's effect. Warner hurries throws when he's sensing pressure (even when it wasn't all that close) and WR's are dropping balls over the middle when their worried about getting clobbered.

It doesn't seem to be very popular to feel good about this team but for the most part I do. We're still inconsistent and apparently that's going to take longer than expected to grow out of. However, when I watch the games I see so much more good than bad.
Sorry, I don't think so Barrett.
They were in 3 and 4-WR receiver sets a lot, and they looked to go medium-deep a lot. (They would have gone deep if Warner had a little more time.)

We had some timely pressure (or presence of pressure) on their first offensive drive that forced Warner to go with the hot receiver.

Our offense couldn't score.

They got the ball back and still played wide-open offense.
We got lucky (perhaps) with an offensive pass interference (their TE was in a similar situation like Walter when he was called for "screening out" a defender, remember that one?)
It was a 24yd pass to Fitz and it was 3rd and one.
That made it 3rd and 11, we rushed only 4 but was able to get to Warner up the middle, forcing him to dump the ball to the ground.

We finally scored, but they still led 21-7

They got the ball and was moving it a little;
but we got some pressure up the middle again.
Then came the sack; and they had to punt.

We got the ball back with 34 secs to go in the third.
We scored again, and all of a sudden it was a ball game at 14-21.