PDA

View Full Version : Make a statement Smithiak: Cut Chris Brown NOW!

Texan JBZ
10-12-2009, 08:59 AM
Let's face it - the guy has basically cost the Texans two games this season. The team doesn't ask him to do much. And what little he's asked to do, he doesn't do well at all. He should be placed on waivers today! Give another guy a chance. Let's see what Arian Foster can do with those carries. Hell, he can't do any worse. It's time for this staff to send a statement that this sort of performance will no longer be tolerated. One guy, one stinking player, has basically been the difference in this team possibly being 4-1 instead of 2-3. That's unacceptable, and the Texans should show us fans that they feel the same way we do.

Mr. White
10-12-2009, 09:07 AM
I don't pin this on Chris Brown. I think he did just what he was asked to do, which was to run crappy goal-line plays.

The goal line ineptitude was on the offensive line because they can't get any push up the middle.

It's also on the coaching because there's plenty other real estate in the end zone than between the tackles. The Cards had the middle plugged up all day and we still wouldn't try something else with the game on the line. The playcalling just sucked yesterday.

Mike Kerns
10-12-2009, 09:50 AM
I am ready to give Chris Henry a shot.

HOU-TEX
10-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Seriously?! Re-watch the play, you'll notice how bad our oline is pushed back. Hell, Leach was even met in the backfield. If you want to point blame on that play at least point in the right direction. Studdard, Myers, Brisiel = Suck

Yankee_In_TX
10-12-2009, 09:58 AM
the goal line ineptitude was on the offensive line because they can't get any push up the middle.

qft

OR blame the coaching staff who doesn't seem to understand we can't get 1 yard.

beerlover
10-12-2009, 10:01 AM
they knew excatly what was coming & loaded the box. The Texans (Chris Brown) simply marched into a massacre (3. Informal. a crushing defeat in sports.) like Custer's last stand :ant:

Texan JBZ
10-12-2009, 10:01 AM
Seriously?! Re-watch the play, you'll notice how bad our oline is pushed back. Hell, Leach was even met in the backfield. If you want to point blame on that play at least point in the right direction. Studdard, Myers, Brisiel = Suck

Chris Brown is 6'3" 235 lbs. His sole purpose on this team is to be a short yardage back. When your only job is to churn out the TOUGH yards, he's not always going to have much push or huge lanes because the defense is going to be crowding the line. Yesterday, our line didn't get much push in short yardage situations, but they did stalemate the Arizona push. If its a stalemate, then your powerback is supposed to be able to get 1 damn yard.

Corrosion
10-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Let's face it - the guy has basically cost the Texans two games this season. The team doesn't ask him to do much. And what little he's asked to do, he doesn't do well at all. He should be placed on waivers today! Give another guy a chance. Let's see what Arian Foster can do with those carries. Hell, he can't do any worse. It's time for this staff to send a statement that this sort of performance will no longer be tolerated. One guy, one stinking player, has basically been the difference in this team possibly being 4-1 instead of 2-3. That's unacceptable, and the Texans should show us fans that they feel the same way we do.

Chris Brown is 6'3" 235 lbs. His sole purpose on this team is to be a short yardage back. With your only job is to churn out the TOUGH yards, he's not always going to have much push or huge lanes because the defense is going to be crowding the line. Yesterday, our line didn't get much push in short yardage situations, but they did stalemate the Arizona push. If its a stalemate, then your powerback is supposed to be able to get 1 damn yard.

I'll give ya the fumble in the endzone being on Brown - But yesterday was on the OL - they got no push .... the Arizona defenders were on Brown before he got to the LOS. Hell Leach was hit in the backfield on the play.

TexansBlood
10-12-2009, 10:05 AM
Offensive line cost us yesterdays game, not Chris Brown.

mussop
10-12-2009, 10:06 AM

He's not a short yardage back. Never has been, never will be. It was a poor coaching decision to put him in that role. This offense still needs several things before its a complete offense that can take over games.
1.) A real short yardage back
2.) A Center than can hold his ground.
3.) A Guard or 2 that can push the pile

We are a finesse offense no matter how you look at it. That is not Chris Browns fault.

beerlover
10-12-2009, 10:07 AM
He's not a short yardage back. Never has been, never will be. It was a poor coaching decision to put him in that role. This offense still needs several things before its a complete offense that can take over games.

We are a finesse offense no matter how you look at it. That is not Chris Browns fault.

excatly

Maddict5
10-12-2009, 10:08 AM
:rolleyes: at the thread

Mr. White
10-12-2009, 10:11 AM

Must spread rep. Not to mention, that avatar is killing me.

SheTexan
10-12-2009, 10:12 AM
I don't pin this on Chris Brown. I think he did just what he was asked to do, which was to run crappy goal-line plays.

The playcalling just sucked yesterday.

The playcalling sucks EVERY damn week! PLUS, it takes an entire half to PREPARE our team for the last two quarters!!!! All that should be done before they get on the plane! Kubiak is one of the most inapt HC's in the NFL when it comes to preparing his team for a game. Getting real tiresome watching this every freaking week!

Blake
10-12-2009, 10:12 AM
T

Chris Brown is 6'3" 235 lbs. His sole purpose on this team is to be a short yardage back. With your only job is to churn out the TOUGH yards, he's not always going to have much push or huge lanes because the defense is going to be crowding the line. Yesterday, our line didn't get much push in short yardage situations, but they did stalemate the Arizona push. If its a stalemate, then your powerback is supposed to be able to get 1 damn yard.

Chris Brown is a 6'3" 235 pound back. He is not a miracle worker. Any back in that situation would have been stuffed and I stand behind that statement. Our center, and guards can be thanked for that.

And its laughable that you think Arian Foster is the cure.

Texan JBZ
10-12-2009, 10:14 AM

Good. Then we're in agreement that he should be cut. Guys, you can try and pin this on the line as much as you want, but a back of his size should be able to get 1 stinking yard in that situation. He sucks and is taking up a roster spot that can used on someone who actually contributes to the team.

HOU-TEX
10-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Chris Brown is 6'3" 235 lbs. His sole purpose on this team is to be a short yardage back. When your only job is to churn out the TOUGH yards, he's not always going to have much push or huge lanes because the defense is going to be crowding the line. Yesterday, our line didn't get much push in short yardage situations, but they did stalemate the Arizona push. If its a stalemate, then your powerback is supposed to be able to get 1 damn yard.

235 lbs is not going to move a half a ton's worth of linemen.

And like I said, Leach was even met behind the LOS, so yes, the Cardinals did push the Texans backfield.

Texan JBZ
10-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Chris Brown is a 6'3" 235 pound back. He is not a miracle worker. Any back in that situation would have been stuffed and I stand behind that statement. Our center, and guards can be thanked for that.

And its laughable that you think Arian Foster is the cure.

I didn't say that Foster was the cure. I said that he couldn't do any worse than what we've seen out of Brown. And not any back would have been stuffed in that situation. A back that is as fluffy soft as Brown would have been. You can't pin this solely on the line. How many chances has Chris Brown had to convert short yardage situations this season and how many times has he failed? Get rid of the guy! He can't get the job done!

Mr. White
10-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Good. Then we're in agreement that he should be cut. Guys, you can try and pin this on the line as much as you want, but a back of his size should be able to get 1 stinking yard in that situation. He sucks and is taking up a roster spot that can used on someone who actually contributes to the team.

How can you gain a yard when you have a cluster******* a half-yard ahead of you?

It's like traffic. I can't exit the highway when the off-ramp is full of cars.

Physically impossible.

Chris Brown had it coming after the Jacksonville game...not so much today.

ESAD2-14
10-12-2009, 10:21 AM

1.) VONTA LEACH?? I am at a loss as to why they don't give this guy the ball in short yardage situations.

AnthonyE
10-12-2009, 10:34 AM

The goal line ineptitude was on the offensive line because they can't get any push up the middle.

It's also on the coaching because there's plenty other real estate in the end zone than between the tackles. The Cards had the middle plugged up all day and we still wouldn't try something else with the game on the line. The playcalling just sucked yesterday.

The guy takes way too long to hit the line of scrimmage methinks.

swtbound07
10-12-2009, 10:38 AM
what does chris brown do so well that you folks want to keep him?

MannyFresh
10-12-2009, 10:40 AM

You need to send the memo to Kubiak and McNair personally, their email can't be that hard to figure out.... or maybe there's an Staff_all, coaches_all, or something to catch their attention.

Blake
10-12-2009, 10:42 AM
what does chris brown do so well that you folks want to keep him?

Chris has been running hard downhill all season. A nice change of pace to a smaller quicker Steve Slaton. Yes, he had the fumble in the Jags game, but other than that what does HE do so bad that you want him cut?

MannyFresh
10-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Ron Dayne...

Texecutioner

RIGHT ON!!! Release Brown now!

Texan_Bill
Ron Dayne...

HOU-TEX just threw up in his mouth a little.

HOU-TEX
10-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Ron Dayne...

HOU-TEX just threw up in his mouth a little.

I'm going to assume it was a sarcastic comment to a dumb thread.

swtbound07
10-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Chris has been running hard downhill all season. A nice change of pace to a smaller quicker Steve Slaton. Yes, he had the fumble in the Jags game, but other than that what does HE do so bad that you want him cut?

I'm indifferent to him. I'm not going to ***** about an injury prone, non-short yardage back that got jammed in a role he is not very good at during a lost season. Many many other things to complain about. Playcalling. People being happy with a defense that gives up 21 in the first half. PROGRESS! HELLS YEAH! /sarcasm.

chris brown is not the worst player on the team. He's probably bottom 5 though. He doesn't do his job, which is to be a short yardage back in this offense. Maybe somebody else would do his job better. Maybe they would suck equally. But I certainly don't see what he has done to warrant people DEFENDING him.

Twice this year, we've need a yard from Chris Brown. Twice this year Lucy pulled up the football and Chris "Charlie" Brown fell on his ass.

Sure. Stick up for the guy.

Texan_Bill
10-12-2009, 10:49 AM

I'll put it this way; when your O-line has no sand in the backside of their pants and no sack in the front side, Christian Okoye wouldn't have been able to move that pile.

HOU-TEX
10-12-2009, 10:58 AM
I'll put it this way; when your O-line has no sand in the backside of their pants and no sack in the front side, Christian Okoye wouldn't have been able to move that pile.

Agreed!

I suppose we should go ahead and cut Slaton too. He couldn't get a yard on 3rd and 1 earlier in the game.

MannyFresh
10-12-2009, 11:01 AM

Tounge in cheek..... my other cheek say Ced Benson...

HOU-TEX
10-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Tounge in cheek..... my other cheek say Ced Benson...

I wouldn't complain if we had Benson, but The Fridge couldn't have gotten that yard the way it was blocked.

swtbound07
10-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Agreed!

I suppose we should go ahead and cut Slaton too. He couldn't get a yard on 3rd and 1 earlier in the game.

maybe we shouldn't use the little guy as a short yardage back?

Goldensilence
10-12-2009, 11:06 AM
1. I haven't seen a whole lot from Chris Brown anyway. He's not giving us any real spark as the "change of pace" back really. At this point I'm wondering if Arian Foster could do worse.

2. Yep O-line can get no push when they NEED to. Part of that's on Kubiak. These are his guys in the interior.

3. Kubiak, Shannahan, whomever. 3 years and they can't get we're not going to get 1-2 going up the gut. The interior of the line just can't do it. Why not go with a 4 WR set and spread the opposing defense out.Have Slaton in the back field and give Schaub the choice of seeing if he likes what he sees in the passing or running game. Hell use Slaton's speed to get to the corner on a stretch play. Real uncreative playcalling from both.

Texan Asylum
10-12-2009, 11:08 AM
maybe we shouldn't use the little guy as a short yardage back?

Yup!

Yankee_In_TX
10-12-2009, 11:11 AM

Ron Dayne, usually in October and definitely in November, can get 1 yard. I am not sure why everyone hated him so much, because he could get 2-3 yards. Never expected more.

Blake
10-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Twice this year, we've need a yard from Chris Brown. Twice this year Lucy pulled up the football and Chris "Charlie" Brown fell on his ass.

Sure. Stick up for the guy.

Yeah you are right. The short yardage back is the reason we are 2-3.

I didnt hear anyone bitching about Chris Brown getting the football when he punched it in from a yard out to give us our first score of the game, including you.

But I guess you forget about things like that when you are trying to justify your side of the argument.

Texecutioner
10-12-2009, 11:27 AM

What? How about you answering what he has done at all, that merits him a position on this team? He hasn't done anything positive for this team since he's been here this year or last year. He's been a complete failure.

This year he was annointed the GL back and he's got in the end zone 1 time out of like 6 opportunities. He's got to be one of the worst GL backs I've ever seen on any team ever. He killed a game for us, and failed in this one with two opportunities with the game on the line. He has literally one job to do and one purpose and he's completely worthless at that one purpose.

The Texans might as well have "JOE TEXAN" as their GL back in crunch time. He wouldn't be any worse, and would probably put more heart into it.

MannyFresh
10-12-2009, 11:31 AM

So if this happens again against the Bengals you will still feel the same way?
Your a forgiving man.

swtbound07
10-12-2009, 11:32 AM

I didnt hear anyone bitching about Chris Brown getting the football when he punched it in from a yard out to give us our first score of the game, including you.

But I guess you forget about things like that when you are trying to justify your side of the argument.

If you'll notice I've said in many threads I couldn't see the damn game because I was quarantined. However they showed the game ending FAIL on national sports coverage, so I caught that one.

I just want you to tell me that you believe Chris is an effective short yardage back. If you can't do that, then shut up about it and stop defending him

Blake
10-12-2009, 11:39 AM
If you'll notice I've said in many threads I couldn't see the damn game because I was quarantined. However they showed the game ending FAIL on national sports coverage, so I caught that one.

I just want you to tell me that you believe Chris is an effective short yardage back. If you can't do that, then shut up about it and stop defending him

You actually probably lucked out being quarantined from that game. I think I might quarantine myself from some if this keeps up.

And yes, I do think Chris is an effective short yardage back.

Texecutioner
10-12-2009, 11:40 AM

You mean the one time out of like the 6 or 7 opportunities that he's had all season to punch it in??? You're trying to rep the guy for the single one time he's got in even though he's had so many other failed attempts. Boy o boy are your standards low.

Chris Brown had no business getting any of those GL carries in yesterday's game. He hasn't earned them, and he's done absolutely nothing for this team since he got here.

swtbound07
10-12-2009, 11:40 AM
You actually probably lucked out being quarantined from that game. I think I might quarantine myself from some if this keeps up.

based on what? Do you have any objective stats to back that up? Or is it just because to you it looks like he "runs hard"?

playa465
10-12-2009, 11:41 AM

LMAO...thanks I needed that

However, Chris Brown is not our power back...we don't have a power RB. The ZBS utilizes a physical runner which is the role Brown is supposed to be filling. Slaton isn't it either even though he performed very well last year. In goal line situations the smallish lineman of the ZBS now have to do the grunt work of power lineman. There are no lanes or seams to create when the middle is clogged up with mammoth sized defensive lineman, so it seems silly to try to run up the gut in these scenarios/formations. Kubiak should know better, if he wants to do that the offense needs to be in a spread formation so the defense won't be crammed in the middle expecting the run straight ahead. This way the defense is kept honest with their responsibilities and you have a better chance at a quick hit up the middle.

Texecutioner
10-12-2009, 11:42 AM

Based off of what? He hasn't any consistency in GL situations to come to any conclusion like this. There is nothing you can use or say or even slant that would make this true.

Blake
10-12-2009, 03:33 PM
based on what? Do you have any objective stats to back that up? Or is it just because to you it looks like he "runs hard"?

I love how yall request stats like candy to back an argument, but never supply any yourselves.

Wolf
10-12-2009, 04:05 PM
"We definitely showed a lot of manhood on that stand," tackle Alan Branch said. "To be able to hold the whole offensive line back like that and keep them out of the end zone, it's a big deal."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/10207646/This-win-isn't-pretty,-but-Cardinals-surely-will-take-it-

That made it fourth down, and with the noisy home crowd at its loudest, Brown again failed to make it to the goal line.

"We just looked at each other and said 'Man, this is it,"' defensive tackle Darnell Dockett said. "We can either make this game hard and go to overtime or we can just put this thing away right now."

http://www.connectamarillo.com/sports/story.aspx?id=361761

Wolf
10-12-2009, 04:12 PM
DE Calais Campbell
(on his take on the final goal line stand by the defense) "That last play was pretty big because earlier in the game they did the same play to get into the end zone. They kind of kicked out on me. I'm supposed to spill on the guys. The first touchdown was kind of my fault, but I tried to hit it as thick as I could. On the last play, I read it because they tried to do the same thing. (The offensive lineman) stopped a little early and I read the play, so I tried to blow up the tight end. The guys in the middle, B-Rob (Bryan Robinson), Gabe (Watson), and (Darnell) Dockett blew it up inside so there was nowhere for the running back to go. It was just huge. It was great team d-line. Linebackers came through filling it up. It was a great team effort."

(on the fact that the same play worked earlier and if he knew right away that Houston was trying it again) "Oh, yeah. If they didn't do it the first time, it probably would have worked again. That first time I saw him when he stopped early that he was going to try to kick me out so when I saw his feet back there stop a little early (the second time), I knew I had to long arm it and just go."

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5679

HOU-TEX
10-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Here are the short yardage (2 yds or less) attempts we've had running the ball.

Chris Brown:
vs Jets
Made - 3-1-HOU 29 (13:33) 22-C.Brown left tackle to HST 40 for 11 yards (36-J.Leonhard).
vs Titans
Failed - 3-1-TEN 36 (4:51) 22-C.Brown up the middle to TEN 37 for -1 yards (24-C.Hope).
vs Jags
Failed - 2-1-JAC 1 (:29) 22-C.Brown left guard to JAX 2 for -1 yards (54-Q.Groves, 98-J.Henderson).
Failed - 2-2-JAC 2 (2:10) 22-C.Brown right guard to JAX 1 for 1 yard (52-D.Smith). FUMBLES (52-D.Smith), RECOVERED by JAX-52-D.Smith at JAX 0. Touchback. Houston challenged the fumble ruling, and the play was Upheld. (Timeout #2 at 02:00.)
vs Cards
Failed - 2-2-ARI 21 (6:47) 22-C.Brown left tackle to ARZ 20 for 1 yard (25-B.McFadden).
Made - 3-1-ARI 1 (3:43) 22-C.Brown up the middle for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.
Failed - 2-1-ARI 1 (:59) 22-C.Brown up the middle to ARZ 1 for no gain (98-G.Watson, 90-D.Dockett).
Failed - 4-1-ARI 1 (:47) 22-C.Brown up the middle to ARZ 1 for no gain (95-A.Highsmith). The Replay Assistant challenged the runner broke the plane ruling, and the play was Upheld.
Steve Slaton:
vs Titans
Failed - 2-1-HOU 29 (:16) 20-S.Slaton up the middle to HST 29 for no gain (97-T.Brown). FUMBLES (97-T.Brown), recovered by HST-44-V.Leach at HST 28
vs Cards
Failed - 3-1-HOU 27 (5:12) 20-S.Slaton up the middle to HST 27 for no gain (53-C.Haggans).
Failed (X2) - 2-1-ARI 22 (12:20) 20-S.Slaton up the middle to ARZ 22 for no gain (53-C.Haggans).

3-1-ARI 22 (11:41) 20-S.Slaton right tackle to ARZ 22 for no gain (58-K.Dansby).
Made - 2-1-ARI 46 (9:07) 20-S.Slaton left tackle to ARZ 44 for 2 yards (56-C.Okeafor).

So Brown's made 2 of 8 attempts and Slaton has made 1 of 5 attempts. This should mean 1 of 2 things. (1) both our RB's suck, or (2) our Oline sucks at run blocking.

I'll go with #2, thank you.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009101109/2009/REG5/texans@cardinals/analyze/box-score#analyze-channels:cat-post-playbyplay

Second Honeymoon
10-12-2009, 05:38 PM
The playcalling sucks EVERY damn week! PLUS, it takes an entire half to PREPARE our team for the last two quarters!!!! All that should be done before they get on the plane! Kubiak is one of the most inapt HC's in the NFL when it comes to preparing his team for a game. Getting real tiresome watching this every freaking week!

I feel your pain and couldn't agree more.

Lets let the season play out and see where things fall. At this point in time, I am not even sure 8-8 will save his job. We are gonna have a good season and Gary back next year or we will continue to be losers and Gary will get fired. One way or the other, things are gonna change.

Air Canada
10-12-2009, 06:07 PM
I agree the goaline run in the Jags game where he fumbled was his fault(he didn't really fumble)...The only problem I have with his run in the Cards game was the effort...yeah the line was getting pushed back, but u have to hit it harder and why hasn't anyone mentioned the fact that he didn't try and go over top or go low, but don't WALK IN THERE UPRIGHT!....:wild:

GO AIRBORNE or attempt to....at least u'll have a better chance of getting in and allow ur guys to actually have a shot at pushing u over if ur a little short...

Come on, don't tell me no other back can do better he just waltz into the mayhem.:foottap:

Yankee_In_TX
10-12-2009, 06:45 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5679

Yikes.

beerlover
10-13-2009, 05:11 AM
Offensive line cost us yesterdays game, not Chris Brown.

your right Chris Brown didn't cost Texans the game he's cost us two (fumble on the goaline against Jag's or was that on OL too).

Chris Brown is the second coming of Ahman Green :rake: