PDA

View Full Version : Whose your 2010 HC?

m5kwatts
10-12-2009, 02:41 AM
If you could have it your way, who would it be?

Norg
10-12-2009, 02:42 AM
Mike shannhan

dalemurphy
10-12-2009, 02:42 AM
FRANK BUSH!!

and I'm only 1/2 kidding... well, maybe 2/3 kidding. Because if he was the HC, then he wouldn't be able to be the DC anymore.

m5kwatts
10-12-2009, 02:44 AM
Mike shannhan

I don't think this is an option. If Kubiak is out the new guy is not gonna be from the same coaching tree.

m5kwatts
10-12-2009, 02:46 AM
If you vote "someone else" please do tell who you have in mind.

Even if its just a random coordinator not well known yet

Carr Bombed
10-12-2009, 02:46 AM
Gruden... I don't see Holmgren (Gruden is in his coaching tree) or Cowher coming here....especially Cowher. (I think he's waiting on the Carolina job to open up and if by some miracle it doesn't...Dallas is a more attractive job)

Carr Bombed
10-12-2009, 02:48 AM
I don't think this is an option. If Kubiak is out the new guy is not gonna be from the same coaching tree.

Yeah, that's just more of the same

Norg
10-12-2009, 02:49 AM

why not it would be like taking out darth vader and bringing in the master emperor sidous

mattieuk
10-12-2009, 02:49 AM
Erm...how about asking me in at least 10 weeks?

m5kwatts
10-12-2009, 02:50 AM
Gruden... I don't see Holmgren (Gruden is in his coaching tree) or Cowher coming here....especially Cowher. (I think he's waiting on the Carolina job to open up and if by some miracle it doesn't...Dallas is a more attractive job)

I've heard Cowher talk about the Texans a lot on CBS and either overpaying us compliments for no reason or he really likes our players because he's says a lot of good things about us. I've specifically heard him rave about our foundation of players.

The problem with Cowher is people speculate he'll want total personnel control with his new job and thats why he ultimately left the Steelers. I think Holmgren would want a good chunk of the personnel input if not all too.

LonerATO
10-12-2009, 03:16 AM
I've heard Cowher talk about the Texans a lot on CBS and either overpaying us compliments for no reason or he really likes our players because he's says a lot of good things about us. I've specifically heard him rave about our foundation of players.

The problem with Cowher is people speculate he'll want total personnel control with his new job and thats why he ultimately left the Steelers. I think Holmgren would want a good chunk of the personnel input if not all too.

Im not saying Cowher would come here and at the same time Im not calling for his name either, but BB has that kind of control in NE.

Scooter
10-12-2009, 03:22 AM
kubiak ... and he takes full control of the offense.

m5kwatts
10-12-2009, 03:30 AM

This is the most likely scenario..... The team fights back and finishes 9-7 and Kubiak goes into 2010 on the hottest seat in football and a contract year and takes full control of the offense. 8-8 it would shock me if he was fired but anything can happen... 7-9 and he's probably out

Carr Bombed
10-12-2009, 03:36 AM

So you think he already doesn't have a good amount of control of it already.

I'm not buying that "Kyle calls all the plays" line. Kubiak has the play list in his hand all game...he's the one signing off on the plays.

sometexansfan
10-12-2009, 03:46 AM
Tony Dungy? McNair loves nice guys, and who's nicer than Tony Dungy?

Carr Bombed
10-12-2009, 03:48 AM

Dungy is done with the NFL...

sometexansfan
10-12-2009, 03:52 AM
Dungy is done with the NFL... Everyone has a price :money:

m5kwatts
10-12-2009, 03:53 AM
Everyone has a price :money:

Price isn't the issue with Dungy. He has other aspirations beyond football. And its not like he's all that young either. I'd be shocked to see him back on the sidelines again.

Scooter
10-12-2009, 03:54 AM
So you think he already doesn't have a good amount of control of it already.

I'm not buying that "Kyle calls all the plays" line. Kubiak has the play list in his hand all game...he's the one signing off on the plays.

he's got all of the control, as far as i can tell he's not using it though ... then again, how am i to know. it appears to me he's giving too much responsibility to his generals same as mike shanahan gave too little. john lynch is on record talking about how kubiak in denver could make even the defense pause when he wasnt happy, but from what i'm gathering (especially this season) is that he's taking on more of an overseer role. there's so much that doesnt fit to what i'd expect him to do on offense (some of which i've previously stated and has been adjusted to when things arent going well), and the camera doesnt lie when it shows kyle calling plays as kubiak's monitoring the progression.

m5kwatts
10-12-2009, 03:58 AM
Who are the 2 votes for someone else? What names?

Here's a pool of candidates tossed around in the past few years left off the vote list.... Jason Garrett, Sean McDermott (PHI DC), Darrell Bevell (MIN OC), Rod Marinelli, Steve Mariucci, Marty Schottenheimer, Cam Cameron, Brian Billick, Mike Martz

sometexansfan
10-12-2009, 04:01 AM
Price isn't the issue with Dungy. He has other aspirations beyond football. And its not like he's all that young either. I'd be shocked to see him back on the sidelines again. He's only in his 50's and he's doing the pregame show thing, so he's not staying that far away from football.

nero THE zero
10-12-2009, 09:39 AM
I still let Kubiak finish out the season and if he wins us 10 games and/or takes us to the playoffs I let him stick around. Otherwise, I fire him.

My first choice for his replacement would be Bill Cowher because (1)he's a proven winner, (2)he brings an attitude that this team sorely lacks, and (3)I think he could make the most out of the talent we have on defense. Sure, he has his warts, but I think he has the attitude we need and is capable of building a good staff around him.

Oh, and I'd like to say, if by some miraculous event, Jeff Fisher gets the axe in Tennessee, he instantly becomes my number 1 option to take over back in Houston.

chicagotexan2
10-12-2009, 10:04 AM

I hope you're right. If not I'd be very happy with Cowher. I like Kubiak as an OC, but he is not a strategist.

noxiousdog
10-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Cowher is the only one of those guys that is a legitimate upgrade, and even then there's a lot of concern that it was the organization rather than the coach. So far every Pittsburgh coach has been really good. Though, I'm certainly interested in getting some of that knowledge.

Holmgren's got 10 seasons of 9 wins or less, and his divisions have never been on the caliber of the AFC South. 4 of his 7 playoff seasons were with a top 10 all time quarterback and a top 5 defensive lineman.

Gruden has been run off from two successful teams. While I sympathize with Oakland, getting run from Tampa is much more difficult to understand and he inherited what Dungy built. I like him, but I don't know that we'd have any more success with Gruden than with Kubiak.

As far as Shannhan, the last thing we need is more of the same coaching tree. That's a big part of our problems.

SICLICK
10-12-2009, 11:01 AM
The Chin will not come here....thats wishful thinking.

Ckw
10-12-2009, 12:35 PM
My vote would be for Sean McDermott. He has learned from one of the best DCs in NFL history, and he certainly has continued it with the play of the Philadelphia defense this season.

HoustonFrog
10-12-2009, 12:37 PM
I'm still a Mike Zimmer fan. The guy improves Defenses wherever he goes. He is young. He is intense. I think if you go different he is a guy you go with. If you go from the list of course you take Cowher but a guy like that isn't coming here.

Texan_Bill
10-12-2009, 12:40 PM

He's one of the few guys that says when "I'm done", I believe him.

Goldensilence
10-12-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm surprised by the number of people still ok with Kubiak taking the reigns again next year.

Only way he sticks around is by some miraculous event this team pulls out a 10 win season. So we need to what...win 8 of the next 11? Good luck.

I think Cowher coming here is wishful thinking. If Caroline continues to skid this year it wouldn't surprise me if Fox is fired and he takes that gig.

I'm not a Gruden fan. He didn't do a lot with the Bucs after winning the SB with Dungy's team. He didn't significantly upgrade the roster or keep continuity going with the defense.

I guess Homgren wouldn't be a bad option, but not my first choice.

My most realistic choice and who I think would be perfect is Marty Schottenheimer. Guy bring an attitude to coaching and a straight shooting guy. While some people might point to his playoff record, it'd be a huge improvement over...not making the playoffs. Besides you never know once you get there. We might even be able to get his son Brian to come over.

Ryan
10-12-2009, 01:01 PM
If i had it my way, Bill Cowher. But realistically, i'm looking at Gruden, Schottenheimer, or like someone said already, McDermott.

TimeKiller
10-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Kevin Sumlin

DexmanC
10-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Price isn't the issue with Dungy. He has other aspirations beyond football. And its not like he's all that young either. I'd be shocked to see him back on the sidelines again.

Dungy's only 54. I'd love to see him, or ANYONE from his coaching tree
here. Every coach so far who's worked under Dungy has been successful.
Tomlin in Pittsburgh won a superbowl. Dungy's other protege, Lovie Smith,
squared off against him in the battle of Black Superbowl Coaches.

At 54, he's definitely someone I'd like to see here in Houston.

Wolfiegrrl
10-12-2009, 01:10 PM
I don't like the idea of switching up the coaching staff yet again. Seriously folks, are you happy with constant change in the coaching staff? I know we want results. I would like to see some consistancy with the coaching staff. When have we had two years of the same staff in place?

I'm honestly ok with how yesterday went. The Texans were getting shut out in the first half, they made adjustments and had a killer come back. I don't know what they did, but something worked.

Did you see the look on Andre's face when he made that touchdown. That right there said "We are not loosers." I'm seeing that look out of more and more players. Even Gary was showing more fire on the sidelines.

Carr Bombed
10-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Dungy's only 54. I'd love to see him, or ANYONE from his coaching tree
here. Every coach so far who's worked under Dungy has been successful.
Tomlin in Pittsburgh won a superbowl. Dungy's other protege, Lovie Smith,
squared off against him in the battle of Black Superbowl Coaches.

At 54, he's definitely someone I'd like to see here in Houston.

Dungy is most likely never going to coach again..(and if by slim chance he does, it sure as hell isn't going to be next year). I seriously don't understand why people keep bringing his name up....he isn't even a option.

Plus I still think Dungy is overrated as a head coach. People forget his team was favorites to win the Superbowl MANY times and he had ALOT of playoff disappointments with arguably the best QB in the league. Also his defense was usually a anchor that would hold him back in alot of those playoff disappointments.....and as far as how Gruden won with Dungy's player, well Dungy didn't win with them which is also why I don't understand that argument. That wasn't a Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer thing, because Jimmy actually won SBs with those players.....Tony couldn't get his team over the hump and somebody else did. I don't know in anybody has noticed, but they're not really missing Dungy up there in Indy....as long as Peyton is there, that team will be a threat every year.

Carr Bombed
10-12-2009, 01:41 PM
I don't like the idea of switching up the coaching staff yet again. Seriously folks, are you happy with constant change in the coaching staff?

I don't know....maybe we should go ask Bronco, Ravens, Jets, and 49er fans how they like their new coaches.

I know we want results. I would like to see some consistancy with the coaching staff. When have we had two years of the same staff in place?

umm......last year we had the same offense and defense for 2-3 years. The only thing that's been consistent about this regime is the 8-8 seasons and the mediocre results they produce.

I'm honestly ok with how yesterday went. The Texans were getting shut out in the first half, they made adjustments and had a killer come back. I don't know what they did, but something worked.

What "worked" yesterday?...other than them coming back after another team packed it in and took their foot off the pedal at halftime with a 21 point lead. They still couldn't get a freaking yard when it counted and they still lost...I'm really getting tired of this moral victory mentality.

Did you see the look on Andre's face when he made that touchdown. That right there said "We are not loosers." I'm seeing that look out of more and more players. Even Gary was showing more fire on the sidelines.

Well they can say "they're not losers" or show fire all they want (they've done it before in previous seasons), but the fact is they're still losing ball games and at 2-3 they are losers (like they have been many times before). I mean don't get me wrong...I love the fact that this team doesnt quit and usually always fight, but there comes a time when "almost being good enough" simply isn't good enough anymore. This is a results league and Kubiak isn't getting the results he needs right now, if he doesn't drastically turn things around he's going to be gone at the end of the year.

noxiousdog
10-12-2009, 01:43 PM
I don't know in anybody has noticed, but they're not really missing Dungy up there in Indy....as long as Peyton is there, that team will be a threat every year.

This can't be underestimated.

Active (and recent) coaching leaders in winning percentage:
Dungy - Manning
Cowher -
Belichick - Brady
Reid - McNabb
Shannahan - Elway
Sherman - Favre
Holmgren - Favre

After Holmgren you start having some guys that aren't tied to Hall of Fame QBs (certainly there's an argument for/against McNabb) like Wade Phillips, Lovie Smith, and Tom Coughlin.

DexmanC
10-12-2009, 01:47 PM
This can't be underestimated.

Active (and recent) coaching leaders in winning percentage:
Dungy - Manning
Cowher -
Belichick - Brady
Reid - McNabb
Shannahan - Elway
Sherman - Favre
Holmgren - Favre (Took HASSELBECK to SuperBowl. Don't omit this!)

After Holmgren you start having some guys that aren't tied to Hall of Fame QBs (certainly there's an argument for/against McNabb) like Wade Phillips, Lovie Smith, and Tom Coughlin.

Corrected.

noxiousdog
10-12-2009, 01:48 PM
I don't know....maybe we should go ask Bronco, Ravens, Jets, and 49er fans how they like their new coaches.

And what about the other 5 teams with new coaches?

Carr Bombed
10-12-2009, 01:54 PM
And what about the other 5 teams with new coaches?

The Rams and lions are long term projects....

As far as others like Zorn, not every coach works out, but changes still have to be made. You can't just sit on your hands and hope something changes year after year after year.

BTW...I completely forgot about Mike Smith of the Falcons...that's another coach who turned around a organization lickidy split.

noxiousdog
10-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Corrected.

That was perhaps the weakest NFC I can ever remember. The other three teams in their division had a combined 15-33 record. But, yes, it's still a Super Bowl Appearance.

Holmgren's career in Seattle is a very mediocre 86-74.

noxiousdog
10-12-2009, 01:58 PM
The Rams and lions are long term projects....

As far as others like Zorn, not every coach works out, but changes still have to be made. You can't just sit on your hands and hope something changes year after year after year.

BTW...I completely forgot about Mike Smith of the Falcons...that's another coach who turned around a organization lickidy split.

Is it the coach, or is it Matt Ryan?

Carr Bombed
10-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Holmgren's career in Seattle is a very mediocre 86-74.

Yeah, very mediocre indeed......including that Superbowl appearence his team got hosed in :rolleyes:

Carr Bombed
10-12-2009, 02:08 PM

Let's see.....they started winning with Ryan, a strong defense, and a good running game. I'm pretty sure Smith played a big part in that.

El Tejano
10-12-2009, 02:20 PM

You beat me to it.

noxiousdog
10-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Yeah, very mediocre indeed......including that Superbowl appearence his team got hosed in :rolleyes:

Lots of coaches have gotten to Super Bowls. Even Barry Switzer.

Certainly it's a nice thing to have on a resume, but it isn't the end all be all either.

Carr Bombed
10-12-2009, 02:41 PM
Lots of coaches have gotten to Super Bowls. Even Barry Switzer.

Do me a favor there....

Go pull up how many head coaches have coached in MULTIPLE SUPERBOWLS...and then from that short list, tell me how many coaches coached MULTIPLE FRANCHISES to a superbowl...

Get back with me on that #....I'm really curious to see the "lots of coaches" on that list.

P.S.

Drop the Barry Switzer crap...he took over a team that already won 2 SBs..he didn't build to SB teams.

silvrhand
10-12-2009, 02:48 PM
Do me a favor there....

Go pull up how many head coaches have coached in MULTIPLE SUPERBOWLS...and then from that short list, tell me how many coaches coached MULTIPLE FRANCHISES to a superbowl...

Get back with me on that #....I'm really curious to see the "lots of coaches" on that list.

P.S.

Drop the Barry Switzer crap...he took over a team that already won 2 SBs..he didn't build to SB teams.

Well you won't find any cause anyone stupid enough to figure their coach after winning two superbowls is a bit rare..

m5kwatts
10-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Why are people so convinced Cowher wants the Carolina job? If the Panthers and Texans were head coachless I think Houston is the more attractive job. Carolina has horrible cap issues and a less talented roster.

Cowher is coming back to win, not just to have a fun job to go to when the kids are at school. And Cowher knows you don't just take on any job because he'll be right on the hot seat if his next team struggles.

Andrew6
10-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Before Kubiak got here we had one of the worst offense's in the league. Before Kubiak got here we were 2 - 14
This team from 2005 off season made great strides with alot of pissed off Houstonians. 2006 went 6-10 ( one of the wins was against the Colts). And this was with DC at QB.
2007 Made a questionable call by cutting DC and bringing Matt Schaub for 2 second round picks. The team goes .500 for the first time in franchise history.
2008 Team had gotten better but were still not good enough. Glaring holes on offense and defense. Second .500 season in franchise history.
2009 Kept most of the big name players (some questionablly ie.. pay me rick). Team starts off slow against the Jets with lack luster offense and defense. Next game they improve the Offense and put up big numbers in a big win. Defense steps up when needed. 3rd game against the Jags; Should have been a win with another questionable call on the goal line giving up a TD. Game 4 against Raiders; Totally destroyed a bad team in good fashion on all aspects of the ball, something not usually done. Game 5 against Cardinals; Offense and defense starts off slow in first half and pulls it together in the second have from a 21 deficit to tie and almost over come that deficit. This loss was questionable as well due to poor calls and ball placement. I still see this team going anywhere from 9-7 to 11-5. If they don't then I'll join into this discussion. Untill then I'll stand behind Kubiak and hope for the best. He's made great strides on this team and continues to improve.

Big Lou
10-12-2009, 03:17 PM
I know I'm being a homer, but this team is showing flashes. I think they could go on a tear here shortly. I think the ZBS takes a while to get rolling each year, and the D is starting to gel. The losses are frustrating, butI guess we'll see.

LonerATO
10-12-2009, 03:24 PM

How about a great GM in Thomas Dimitroff

WWJD
10-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Why are people so convinced Cowher wants the Carolina job? If the Panthers and Texans were head coachless I think Houston is the more attractive job. Carolina has horrible cap issues and a less talented roster.

Cowher is coming back to win, not just to have a fun job to go to when the kids are at school. And Cowher knows you don't just take on any job because he'll be right on the hot seat if his next team struggles.

To me the Carolina job makes the most sense for him personally...he resigned the Pittsburgh job because his wife and kids were in Carolina...and he wanted more family time.

At least that's the way I remember it.

Maybe he'll do the Jimmy thing and who could blame him? Nice cushy TV job...probably very highly paid...and stay away from coaching.

m5kwatts
10-12-2009, 03:39 PM
To me the Carolina job makes the most sense for him personally...he resigned the Pittsburgh job because his wife and kids were in Carolina...and he wanted more family time.

At least that's the way I remember it.

Maybe he'll do the Jimmy thing and who could blame him? Nice cushy TV job...probably very highly paid...and stay away from coaching.

If Cowher comes back he's gonna be fully committed to the job and not take one just because its close to home is what I'm saying. I don't think he'd take a job unless he was comfortable spending time away from his family again. Being a HC consumes all your time even if its in your hometown.

Carr Bombed
10-12-2009, 03:48 PM
If Cowher comes back he's gonna be fully committed to the job and not take one just because its close to home is what I'm saying. I don't think he'd take a job unless he was comfortable spending time away from his family again. Being a HC consumes all your time even if its in your hometown.

He's already been rumored to wanting the Carolina job... and even if he didn't and he was willing to come to Texas to coach it wouldn't be Houston...

Dallas is a MUCH more attractive job for Cowher, especially since his defense is already in place...Cowher could hit the ground running there.

LonerATO
10-12-2009, 03:51 PM
He's already been rumored to wanting the Carolina job... and even if he didn't and he was willing to come to Texas to coach it wouldn't be Houston...

Dallas is a MUCH more attractive job for Cowher, especially since his defense is already in place...Cowher could hit the ground running there.

Dallas is a crap job with a crap owner who bosses around the coaches. Coaches go there to make a ton of jack and watch their careers die.

HouSportsWriter
10-12-2009, 03:53 PM
i think kyle would be best because this is a offencive team and he knows that

maby he can take the rope and take us to the playoffs

but as of now i think its to early im steal hopeing for the wild card butchances are very slim

nero THE zero
10-12-2009, 03:54 PM

I wonder the same thing. As you pointed out, the Texans' job seems to be more attractive than the Panther job, especially considering the players he'll have to work with here (Ryans, Cushing, Williams, etc.). Plus, he seems to like our roster a lot as he is generous in his analysis of our team on CBS's pregame show.

The Carolina gig might be what he is waiting for, I don't know. But, until I see some concrete evidence of that, the whole "he'd never accept a position here" meme is simply something people hear, believe, and repeat because it seems too good to be true more than because of any substantive reason.

Carr Bombed
10-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Dallas is a crap job with a crap owner who bosses around the coaches. Coaches go there to make a ton of jack and watch their careers die.

LMAO......you can't be serious. I know people love to hate on the Cowboys here, but get real. They have been a better oganization than our beloved Houston Texans and they're a more attractive job...even if they haven't won a playoff game in over a decade...we haven't fielded a winning team for almost a decade.

Texan_Bill
10-12-2009, 04:12 PM
LMAO......you can't be serious. I know people love to hate on the Cowboys here, but get real. They have been a better oganization than our beloved Houston Texans and they're a more attractive job...even if they haven't won a playoff game in over a decade...we haven't fielded a winning team for almost a decade.

16 years if you count the former team. :brickwall:

WWJD
10-12-2009, 04:13 PM

Well I have to say as a Dallas fan I've heard the opposite..that Cowher doesn't like Jerry and wouldn't work for him. Nothing I've heard from any reliable news source and maybe that's the rub but just from various Cowboys boards, etc. Armchair QB talk.

Probably a crapshoot...people have money expectations that make them do things we don't anticipate. And Jerry has plenty of money.

HoustonFrog
10-12-2009, 04:15 PM

Thanks you for pointing this out. I found his statement funny too considering Norv Turner is somehow gravying off his job from there. Didn't exactly "die." He may meddle but you get someone who will get you players and it is still considered a top job.

TexCanada
10-12-2009, 04:21 PM
I think we need to see out the year before we make any decisions. If Kubiak wins less then 8 games..time to move on and try someone else. If he wins more (which i still think we will) then we should keep him around. It all depends on the ability to get our team to play a full game.

Carr Bombed
10-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Well I have to say as a Dallas fan I've heard the opposite..that Cowher doesn't like Jerry and wouldn't work for him. Nothing I've heard from any reliable news source and maybe that's the rub but just from various Cowboys boards, etc. Armchair QB talk.

Probably a crapshoot...people have money expectations that make them do things we don't anticipate. And Jerry has plenty of money.

Jerry does end up rubbing people the wrong way...

It's funny. He watches his team suck after "he takes control" and then he gets a good coach and once they get the team back on track, he feels like "he" can make the moves to get them to the next level..and then he ends up running that coach out of town for the coach "He picks" that he can control......and then when team sucks again, he's humbled, and he's back to step one looking for that big name coach, who'll get his team back on track. Then once again his head starts to grow and his arrogance starts to get out of control again. It's rinse and repeat with that guy. He's in the phase of his cycle where he's about to hire a big name coach to fix the mess that "HE" created after Parcells built that team and left him with a ton of talent.

Dan B.
10-12-2009, 04:26 PM
I'd take Fisher or Cowher in a heartbeat. Don't really prefer one over the other, but MAYBE Cowher by a millimeter.

I like Schott. A 75% career winning percentage is good enough for me. I haven't given a damn about a team in the playoffs in 18 years. I'll take just getting there at this point. I also think that it's overblown and that winning in the playoffs (especially in football where it is one and done) is almost as much luck as talent.

I do not want Gruden. I think he was a flash in the pan in Oakland that developed the most overinflated ego in coaching and subsequently ripped Tampa to shreds.

WWJD
10-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Jerry does end up rubbing people the wrong way...

It's funny. He watches his team suck after "he takes control" and then he gets a good coach and once they get the team back on track, he feels like "he" can make the moves to get them to the next level..and then he ends up running that coach out of town for the coach "He picks" that he can control......and then when team sucks again, he's humbled, and he's back to step one looking for that big name coach, who'll get his team back on track, then once again his head starts to grow and his arrogance starts to get out of control again. It's rinse and repeat with that guy. He's in the phase of his cycle where he's about to hire a big name coach to fix the mess that "HE" created after Parcells built that team and left him with a ton of talent.

Jerry is a self admitted control freak..it's got to be some sort of personality quirk for such a smart man to be so insanely dumb about the obvious.

I doubt if you polled anybody with any remote knowledge of the NFL that they would consider Jerry a good GM..and yet he's voted one of the top 2 or 3 owners year after year.

He cannot separate the two.

Can't argue with anything you've said. You're right.

noxiousdog
10-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Do me a favor there....

Right. Which ought to lead you to the conclusion that there's a good portion of timing, personnel, and organization involved.

And the answer to your question is Parcells, Shula, Vermeil, Reeves, and Holmgren.

P.S.

Holmgren didn't build either of them. He left Green Bay because he couldn't buy the groceries, and didn't win in Seattle until it was taken away.

No doubt Holmgren, given a weak division and/or hall of fame players on both sides of the ball, can give you a chance at a Super Bowl.

But that's just me. I just don't like Holmgren. It's probably because of his proximity to Brett Favre, but I still don't like him. He always seems like one of those guys that gets all the credit but never has to shoulder any blame.

Goldensilence
10-12-2009, 04:44 PM
I think we need to see out the year before we make any decisions. If Kubiak wins less then 8 games..time to move on and try someone else. If he wins more (which i still think we will) then we should keep him around. It all depends on the ability to get our team to play a full game.

I'm just curious. You still have faith that this team will win more then 8 games this year?

Looking at the schedule where do the wins come from?

Cinci next week. I just don't know. They've come back to win two close games against tough division opponents and Benson was the first back in like 50 games or something to break 100 against the Ravens D. I don't think we'll fare that well. I think we lose this one.

Niners could be a real good game. Overall they've looked fairly good except this last game. Getting Crabtree doesn't worry me nearly as much as getting Frank Gore Healthy. I think it's winnable, but not counting on it. I think Frank returns and plays big. We lose it close.

I think the Bills game is winnable as well. Bills are struggling.

Colts. Looks too good. Peyton is marching his way to another MVP and it's at Indy. Would love to see an upset, though I doubt it. Loss.

Bye week. Chance to if we're at .500 we could get things together to make a run.

Titans. Would love for the season sweep. I think we win a close one. I think they'll get up for this game though. Expect a tough game especially on MNF.

Colts at home. Lot of this depends on how we look in the first game. I still don't see us winning though.

Tough Jags game. Hard to say how this one will end up. Possible win this time around. I'll go out on a limb and say we'll win.

After seeing the Seahawks dismantle the Jags, I'm not so sure we can say this one is in the bag. I think Curry and Cushing will be going down to the wire for ROY. I think we lose this one.

St. Louis. Win. At least we should.

I don't know about this Dolphins game. I guess we'll see what happens at QB the next few weeks with Pennington gone for the year. Guess they have with Henne and now Thigpen. Close game. I'll go out on a limb, Texans by FG

NE. Well I guess we just have to hope NE has nothing to play with at this point. Though they could realistically be battling the Jets for the division and others for playoff positioning. I think this is a loss.

I have us down for 5 wins. 8-8 finish. Maybe 9-7 with some luck.

Second Honeymoon
10-12-2009, 04:58 PM
I gotta say I am really happy with this poll. Most fans are voting Kubiak because they know that if he stays, that means we had a decent season. I get that. Put it this way, if this poll was to come out at the end of this year and the Texans were 6-10 (which is my current projection) I don't think Kubiak would have 1/4 of the supporters he currently does.

But that isn't what I am happy about. I am happy that 8 people chose Gruden as their 2010 HC even over Cowher. The way that the question was worded 'if you could have it YOUR way', I chose Cowher because I think he is the best guy out there....but Gruden is definitely the 2nd best possible candidate behind Cowher other than retaining and UGH re-signing Kubiak.

Seeing that there are 8 other people on this board that like Gruden and think he would be a good fit makes me very happy and proud to be a member of this board. We could have an honest chance at landing him and any Kubiak dismissal would probably deem Rick Smith out of town as well. Gruden could bring Bruce Allen over and they already have a network of contacts and working relationship. It makes a LOT of sense. That being said, I hope the season turns around big time and maybe go 10-6. It will be tough to do based on their current form, but if that happens I would welcome Kubiak back....otherwise BURN HIM!!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_WMpSC7nK3os/R7XOiRyi1tI/AAAAAAAABS8/Qmfi5OwlF5Y/s400/monty_python_witch-701441.jpg

Goldensilence
10-12-2009, 05:13 PM
I gotta say I am really happy with this poll. Most fans are voting Kubiak because they know that if he stays, that means we had a decent season. I get that. Put it this way, if this poll was to come out at the end of this year and the Texans were 6-10 (which is my current projection) I don't think Kubiak would have 1/4 of the supporters he currently does.

But that isn't what I am happy about. I am happy that 8 people chose Gruden as their 2010 HC even over Cowher. The way that the question was worded 'if you could have it YOUR way', I chose Cowher because I think he is the best guy out there....but Gruden is definitely the 2nd best possible candidate behind Cowher other than retaining and UGH re-signing Kubiak.

Seeing that there are 8 other people on this board that like Gruden and think he would be a good fit makes me very happy and proud to be a member of this board.

I'm still curious what the attraction is to Gruden as a HC? He kind of let the Tampa team go to the wayside after living off of Talent Dungy put together. What makes him such an attractive candidate for the position?

Either way I don't think Kubiak will be fired mid-season. I don't think that's Bob's style. Even then I would hope that even he realizes there's no one on the staff that KUBIAK has assembled that even gives me a glimmer of a hope they could make a decent HC.

IMO I think Gary's job really depends on how he looks going into the bye week. I'm looking at a strong possibility of going into the bye week right at 3-6. If that's the case Kubiak is a lame duck coach unless he reels off 7 wins in a row.

LonerATO
10-12-2009, 05:20 PM

The Cowboys are still living off their SB wins years ago and an owner who is bigger then his team. Being a fan of the Texans aside I would never work for Jerry, but maybe his son when Jerry is gone.

Texecutioner
10-12-2009, 05:21 PM

Seeing that there are 8 other people on this board that like Gruden and think he would be a good fit makes me very happy and proud to be a member of this board.

Well personally I've already told you about my thoughts on Gruden. However, if we do get rid of Kubes at the end of this season I think it's very likely that Gruden would be a big candidate actually. He would probably be the first guy that I would predict that Mcnair would hire honestly since Cowher would more likely go to Carolina and Shanny won't come here to replace Kubes. I doubt that we're interested in HOlmgren either, so there leave Gruden waiting for a spot. Gruden's got a pretty impressive resume on paper, but I don't like his style and a lot of the things that went on in Tampa.

Who would you want other than Gruden though?

Jackie Chiles
10-12-2009, 05:21 PM
i think kyle would be best because this is a offencive team and he knows that

maby he can take the rope and take us to the playoffs

but as of now i think its to early im steal hopeing for the wild card butchances are very slim

Kyle as in Shanahan? Surely you jest.

nunusguy
10-12-2009, 05:41 PM
I say lets go with Williams. Maybe we could once and for all establish a respectable defense ?

TheRealJoker
10-12-2009, 06:04 PM
If Fisher gets fired it would be perfect timing to bring him back to Houston...

However, I think we all would prefer Kubiak to get the ship righted and put us in the playoffs!!!

Carr Bombed
10-12-2009, 06:07 PM
The Cowboys are still living off their SB wins years ago and an owner who is bigger then his team. Being a fan of the Texans aside I would never work for Jerry, but maybe his son when Jerry is gone.

I'm not talking about past SBs......I'm talking about the situation RIGHT NOW.

They just got all new facilities...

They have talent on both sides of the ball (possibly the deepest backfield in the league and one of the most dominant pass rushers, and plenty of solid players inbetween)

And they have a owner who'll out pay anybody for a big time name at head coach....they also know that owner will spare no expense in FA

Cowboy hate aside, they're still more attractive than the lowly never was Texans (sorry, but that's the national perspective of our team.)

devo-x
10-12-2009, 06:09 PM
It's too early for this poll - Wait until we have completed at least 3/4 of the season

Texans might surprise us by winning the next two games (Bengals, 49ers):popcorn:

m5kwatts
10-12-2009, 06:39 PM
I'm not talking about past SBs......I'm talking about the situation RIGHT NOW.

They just got all new facilities...

They have talent on both sides of the ball (possibly the deepest backfield in the league and one of the most dominant pass rushers, and plenty of solid players inbetween)

And they have a owner who'll out pay anybody for a big time name at head coach....they also know that owner will spare no expense in FA

Cowboy hate aside, they're still more attractive than the lowly never was Texans (sorry, but that's the national perspective of our team.)

I gotta disagree strongly. The only coaches who will be interested in the Cowboys job are desperate yes-men willing to to do any puppet dance Jerry asks them to do (see recently Wade Phillips). The players are pampered and know Jerry is in charge and the coach will always eventually be undermined by Jerry. No big name HC with rings on their fingers will want to go into a situation where there's a little ferret looking over the shoulders at all times ready to undercut their authority. The Cowboys are slowly becoming the Raiders part 2. And I have friends who are Cowboy fans who call Jerry, Al Davis Jr.

Texecutioner
10-12-2009, 06:41 PM
If Fisher gets fired it would be perfect timing to bring him back to Houston...

However, I think we all would prefer Kubiak to get the ship righted and put us in the playoffs!!!

I'd love to have Fisher here, but...................

1. I don't think he'll get fired. I'm pretty sure that Bud would give him at least one more season to turn the team around again. At least one more.

2. I think Fisher would probably take a season or two off since he's been coaching year after year for so long now. The guy has got to want to take a break by now.

TimeKiller
10-12-2009, 07:21 PM
I'd love to have Fisher here, but...................

1. I don't think he'll get fired. I'm pretty sure that Bud would give him at least one more season to turn the team around again. At least one more.

2. I think Fisher would probably take a season or two off since he's been coaching year after year for so long now. The guy has got to want to take a break by now.
1. It's Bud Adams.
2. Revenge is an awfully good motivation.
3. Fisher would be an awesome coach. Finally get a guy who can make a 4-3 defense out of 5 first round picks.

Second Honeymoon
10-13-2009, 09:36 AM
I'm still curious what the attraction is to Gruden as a HC? He kind of let the Tampa team go to the wayside after living off of Talent Dungy put together. What makes him such an attractive candidate for the position?

Either way I don't think Kubiak will be fired mid-season. I don't think that's Bob's style. Even then I would hope that even he realizes there's no one on the staff that KUBIAK has assembled that even gives me a glimmer of a hope they could make a decent HC.

IMO I think Gary's job really depends on how he looks going into the bye week. I'm looking at a strong possibility of going into the bye week right at 3-6. If that's the case Kubiak is a lame duck coach unless he reels off 7 wins in a row.

Dungy didn't win squat at Tampa Bay. he was fired because of that. Gruden comes in and wins a Super Bowl in his first try against a team that he built. Gruden has kept that team competitive with garbage at QB. The only year he had a decent QB (Garcia) his team earned a home playoff game and enjoyed the playoffs during his reign. Gruden built Oakland. He leaves. They suck. Gruden wins SB in Tampa and has a good run and enjoys some success even with garbage at QB. He leaves. Tampa sucks. Do we not see the co-relation?

As for Gruden and his relationship with players, go ask Warren Sapp or Derrick Brooks what they think of Gruden? So the guy has a problem with primadonnas like Keyshaw. So would anyone. He is a disciplinarian firebrand whose players love him. The ones that don't love him are the players who are jaking it or are not team guys. Gruden is all about winning and playing football the right way. If your soft, he wants nothing from you. A few softies whining about a coach means nothing to me. Screw them. He was loved by fans and players alike.

Just ask Bucs fan if they wish ownership would have kept him. Oh and thats anohter thing. He wasn't a 'yes man' for the Glazer family and that was the biggest reason he got fired. The Glazers stopped spending money on the team and spent it all on Manchester United. Gruden didn't like that and Glazers didn't like him feeling that way and fired him out of nowhere.

He will be coaching somewhere next year and I hope its the Texans if Kubiak is fired and Cowher isn't interested in Houston.

Just ask Bucs fan what they think about firing Gruden. Their team was relevant and competitive last year. They get rid of Gruden and now they suck. There hasn't been a lot of changes either. I think that tells you how good Gruden is.

Basically Gruden is young for a HC, has experience being a winning HC everywhere he has been, has a championship, has a network of coaches that actually extends beyond the city limits of Denver, and he has the fire, passion, and love of the game that Kubiak so sorely lacks. Kubiak is just a good ole boy that only got the job because he was local product and he was cheaper than a proven and experienced coach. Kubiak wouldn't be a HC candidate anywhere besides here. That should tell you something.

But keep the Gruden Haterade coming. He won in Oakland and he should have taken two different teams to SB if not for hte stupid tuck rule. What have the Raiders and Tampa been since he left? Total garbage and some of the few teams that Kubiak can get his teams to win against.

nero THE zero
10-13-2009, 10:00 AM

For me, it's a couple of things. One, like Cowher, he brings a nasty attitude that this team sorely lacks. People talk about how we're soft and finesse, and yada yada yada, I think that's a load of crap, but we could use a mean streak and what better place for it to start than from the head coach? It would be especially valuable on defense where we have the personnel to be great, but need the personality to put us over the top.

Two, he has consistently overachieved with his teams. He built a Raiders team that went to the Super Bowl who imploded after he left, won a Super Bowl with the Bucs, and then considerably overachieved with a aging and mediocre Bucs team. Of course, it can be argued that he is at fault for letting that team age and not replinish the talent, but he got them to overachieve which can't be said for any coach the Texans have ever had.

Really, to those points, I think Gruden is a great fit for this team. The talent level is here, we have several playmakers on offense and a handful of pro-bowl, if not all-pro, candidates on defense. What we're lacking is that one thing to get us over the hump; bringing in a coach who has been to multiple playoffs and won at that level and who has gotten teams to overachieve is exactly that.

Gruden would be my third or fourth choice behind Cowher, Fisher (hoping that he's fired), and maybe Schottenheimer, but I think he would be a great choice nonetheless.

ObsiWan
10-13-2009, 11:30 AM
I'm just curious. You still have faith that this team will win more then 8 games this year?

Looking at the schedule where do the wins come from?

Cinci next week. I just don't know. They've come back to win two close games against tough division opponents and Benson was the first back in like 50 games or something to break 100 against the Ravens D. I don't think we'll fare that well. I think we lose this one.

Niners could be a real good game. Overall they've looked fairly good except this last game. Getting Crabtree doesn't worry me nearly as much as getting Frank Gore Healthy. I think it's winnable, but not counting on it. I think Frank returns and plays big. We lose it close.

I think the Bills game is winnable as well. Bills are struggling.

Colts. Looks too good. Peyton is marching his way to another MVP and it's at Indy. Would love to see an upset, though I doubt it. Loss.

Bye week. Chance to if we're at .500 we could get things together to make a run.

Titans. Would love for the season sweep. I think we win a close one. I think they'll get up for this game though. Expect a tough game especially on MNF.

Colts at home. Lot of this depends on how we look in the first game. I still don't see us winning though.

Tough Jags game. Hard to say how this one will end up. Possible win this time around. I'll go out on a limb and say we'll win.

After seeing the Seahawks dismantle the Jags, I'm not so sure we can say this one is in the bag. I think Curry and Cushing will be going down to the wire for ROY. I think we lose this one.

St. Louis. Win. At least we should.

I don't know about this Dolphins game. I guess we'll see what happens at QB the next few weeks with Pennington gone for the year. Guess they have with Henne and now Thigpen. Close game. I'll go out on a limb, Texans by FG

NE. Well I guess we just have to hope NE has nothing to play with at this point. Though they could realistically be battling the Jets for the division and others for playoff positioning. I think this is a loss.

I have us down for 5 wins. 8-8 finish. Maybe 9-7 with some luck.

There was a time, back in 2006 - maybe even 2007, when most of us would have only, realistically, seen one, maybe two, possible wins in this list. Now we see 5 maybe 6. Yet some of you want to fire the staff that is responsible for that improvement and start over.

...the mind boggles.

If I were a Redskins (they lose to the Lions!?) fan or a Bills (only 3 pts against the Browns?!) fan, heck yeah, I'd be calling for some heads.

ObsiWan
10-13-2009, 11:36 AM
And some of you Cowher lovers explain to me why he's such a "darling". It took him 15 years to win a Super Bowl after inheriting a Chuck Knoll team. And then he totally missed the playoffs the very next year! What does he "bring to the table"???
Offense..? Noooo... don't think so.
Defense...? maaaybe... but was it him or Dick LeBeau that was responsible for Pittsburgh's dominant defense? I'm thinking it's LeBeau.
So what IS the attraction??
Help me understand this. Please.

nero THE zero
10-13-2009, 11:40 AM
And some of you Cowher lovers explain to me why he's such a "darling". It took him 15 years to win a Super Bowl after inheriting a Chuck Knoll team. And then he totally missed the playoffs the very next year! What does he "bring to the table"???
Offense..? Noooo... don't think so.
Defense...? maaaybe... but was it him or Dick LeBeau that was responsible for Pittsburgh's dominant defense? I'm thinking it's LeBeau.
So what IS the attraction??
Help me understand this. Please.

1. Attitude necessary for a culture change here in Houston
2. Defensive accumen to take advantage of our talent
3. 1 SB ring
4. 2 AFC championships
5. 9 division championships
6. 11 winning seasons out of 15
7. 21-12 playoff record

BigBull17
10-13-2009, 11:54 AM

Thats why I don't see Cowher in Dallas.

wagonhed
10-13-2009, 12:23 PM
I hope our 2010 HC is Gary Kubiak, after he pulls his head out of his ass, fires Frank Bush and gets a real DC, and then actually drafts for our needs by going S, DT, CB, C, and RB in that order.

If Kubiak is gone, I'm a big fan of Jon Gruden. I think he is a hilarious guy and an intense coach. I like him, what can I say. Also, I hate Bill Cowher, I do NOT want him in Houston. I don't want anyone that was a part of the Steelers organization for so long anywhere near my Texans... I don't care how good he is.

HoustonFrog
10-13-2009, 12:45 PM
I gotta disagree strongly. The only coaches who will be interested in the Cowboys job are desperate yes-men willing to to do any puppet dance Jerry asks them to do (see recently Wade Phillips). The players are pampered and know Jerry is in charge and the coach will always eventually be undermined by Jerry. No big name HC with rings on their fingers will want to go into a situation where there's a little ferret looking over the shoulders at all times ready to undercut their authority. The Cowboys are slowly becoming the Raiders part 2. And I have friends who are Cowboy fans who call Jerry, Al Davis Jr.

Well they are bad Cowboy fans then. This is just a joke. Parcells came there after havign yes men and he got to play GM and bring in his own guys too. He only left because he didn't want to coach anymore, not because of Jerry running him off. Al Davis makes dumb financial and team moves. Jerry isn't a great GM. We all know that but they still have alot of talent...many like Choice and others, he brought in. They still have everything a coach would want. Jerry, as I said, may meddle and he get son my last nerve with the way he runs things at times, but he cares, spends money smartly on players, is willing to persue top FAs and if a top coach wanted to come, he'd try. At some point Jerry knows his best teams have come from strong coaches. Ex players are already in his ear. He likes control but he is no Al Davis. That is just a bad comparison.

m5kwatts
11-29-2009, 03:50 PM
I would like to change my vote. Cowher please.

wagonhed
11-29-2009, 03:53 PM
yeah, can I change my vote?

m5kwatts
11-29-2009, 03:57 PM
If we re-did this poll Kubiak would not have the majority votes at this point thats for sure.

LonerATO
11-29-2009, 04:06 PM
The question boils down to how much McNair wants to spend on a new coaching regime. I know some of the local radio guys added up the cost of Smith/Kubiak salary, factored in the 10 mill Cowher wanted and the total was around 20 mill just to get Cowher to be the coach. I could see that happening since McNair wants to win, but I wouldn't be surprised to see tickets and everything else to skyrocket. I guess the price wouldn't matter because when your winning money isn't a factor.

GuerillaBlack
11-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Change my vote to Cowher please.

mussop
11-29-2009, 04:07 PM
I hope our 2010 HC is Gary Kubiak, after he pulls his head out of his ass, fires Frank Bush and gets a real DC, and then actually drafts for our needs by going S, DT, CB, C, and RB in that order.

If Kubiak is gone, I'm a big fan of Jon Gruden. I think he is a hilarious guy and an intense coach. I like him, what can I say. Also, I hate Bill Cowher, I do NOT want him in Houston. I don't want anyone that was a part of the Steelers organization for so long anywhere near my Texans... I don't care how good he is.

Yeh he isnt as bad as Al Davis is now. A better comparison would be a young Al Davis. The way he handles things its just a matter of time before he turns the Cowgboys into what the Raiders are now.

TexCanada
11-29-2009, 04:07 PM
The question boils down to how much McNair wants to spend on a new coaching regime. I know some of the local radio guys added up the cost of Smith/Kubiak salary, factored in the 10 mill Cowher wanted and the total was around 20 mill just to get Cowher to be the coach. I could see that happening since McNair wants to win, but I wouldn't be surprised to see tickets and everything else to skyrocket. I guess the price wouldn't matter because when your winning money isn't a factor.

I'm sure his patience is running thin at this point too. Bring in Cowher.

LonerATO
11-29-2009, 04:09 PM
Bright side is it could be an uncapped year and that means dead weight is gone if a new coaching staff comes in.

MannyFresh
11-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Mr. McNair...please pay Cowher or do ANYTHING to change Marty's mind about coaching...Please! WE NEED HELP!

Porky
11-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Hey Kubes -

http://www.thepostcard.com/gofetch/rack/rc127.jpg

m5kwatts
11-29-2009, 04:16 PM
I used to back Kubiak. Then I continued to back Kubiak but said hey if we can get Cowher I'll take him over Kubiak. I no longer back Kubiak and would take Gregg Williams or Mike Nolan or Darrell Bevell even over Kubiak.

LonerATO
11-29-2009, 04:17 PM
Did someone say Cowher HC and Weis OC? Look I'm not going to say if I want the guy fired or not, but I would like to add to this fantasy staff

LonerATO
11-29-2009, 04:22 PM
Cowher just pointed out something that I never thought about in how the Texans have lost all of their games since OD went out

TexansBlood
11-29-2009, 04:31 PM
I voted for Cowher back when this thread started. Kubiank keeps getting exposed game after game for the last 4yrs... As much talent as we have and still losing game and looking like another same ol season its time for a change:texans:

Jackie Chiles
11-29-2009, 05:07 PM

If that was the deal breaker I would give it to him in a heartbeat. Let him hire someone he trusts to be his number 2 and do a lot of legwork in that area but Cowher can have the final say, no problem.

Imatexanfan
11-29-2009, 05:13 PM
I picked Gruden...had to he reminds me so much of my high school HC:smiliedance:

Texan4Ever
11-29-2009, 05:57 PM
I chose "someone else" because its time the Texans play some MARTY BALL!

Lets bring in Marty Schottenheimer because at least HE got his team to the playoffs.

Norg
11-29-2009, 06:34 PM
yes i change my vote two

Tony Dungy

how about CHimmel LOL

brakos82
11-29-2009, 06:41 PM
I vote Cowher, but Billick also interests me...

fikster
11-29-2009, 07:10 PM
i vote for Jeff Fisher if he is fired by Bud

DerekLee1
11-29-2009, 07:21 PM
Is this a "who do you WANT" thread, or a "who do you THINK" thread?

m5kwatts
11-29-2009, 09:33 PM
Is this a "who do you WANT" thread, or a "who do you THINK" thread?

whose YOUR HC? so yes, who do you want

Mike Kerns
11-29-2009, 10:48 PM
Voted Cowher, but would be okay with Tony Dungy as well. Both is not f'n likely, in my opinion...

eriadoc
11-29-2009, 10:51 PM
There's only one coach in this poll who has built two different teams into Super Bowl teams. Mike Holmgren.

Tony Dungy built two SB teams as well, but only went with one of them.

beerlover
11-29-2009, 10:57 PM
Jim Harbaugh

http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/harbaugh_jim00.html

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/uploadedImages/News/Articles/013108-Lukin_JimHarbaugh.jpg http://lastrow.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/captain-comeback.jpghttp://testing.ourchurchblog.com/files/2008/10/jim-harbaugh.jpg

& draft Toby :)

steelbtexan
11-29-2009, 11:05 PM
McNair isn't going to spend big money on a HC.

I orignally voted for Gruden but since he's tied up with ESPN I change my vote to

Dan Reeves

He's a proven winner and has proven that he can evaluate talent. Which is the biggest problem with Smithiak. IMO

Aside from Kubes not being able to make adjustments at halftime or Kubes tendency to choke in the 4th qtr. or his clock mismanagement. etc

Section516
11-30-2009, 01:10 AM
Be another rookie HC...But..hey..

Was supposed to replace Cowher..

Pantherstang84
11-30-2009, 01:11 AM
Be another rookie HC...But..hey..

Was supposed to replace Cowher..

No more rookie experiments.

phantom17
11-30-2009, 01:31 AM
I hope pappa McNair can somehow get Cowher, then I would be able to sleep well at nights! My other choices are Gruden or Holmgren, just say NO to rookie head coaches, or ones with no winning records!:foottap:

houstonspartan
11-30-2009, 01:46 AM
No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

No.MORE.ROOKIE.COACHES

PERIOD.

houstonspartan
11-30-2009, 01:49 AM
jim harbaugh

http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/harbaugh_jim00.html

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/uploadedimages/news/articles/013108-lukin_jimharbaugh.jpg http://lastrow.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/captain-comeback.jpghttp://testing.ourchurchblog.com/files/2008/10/jim-harbaugh.jpg

& draft toby :)

no....more...rookie...coaches.

Carr Bombed
11-30-2009, 01:54 AM
The fact that the Rooney's who are highly respected around the league for their consistency at excellence on the football field chose to go in another direction causes me to want to lean in another direction as well.

So no to Russ Grimm.

dream_team
11-30-2009, 02:04 AM
I don't understand why people wouldn't want to consider Mike Shanahan?

I'd be ecstatic if Cowher took the job, but my only concern is he'd want to revamp this team and it would take another 3-4 years to get where he'd want it to be.

With Shanahan, we'd basically keep the same personnel and not change much... thus we should see results immediately. The guy is a proven winner. I don't buy this "he'd be the same as Kubiak" crap. He's won multiple superbowls, Kubiak has never been to the playoffs... clearly, they aren't the same!

The thing that bothers me the most about this team is how they don't play a consistent 4 quarters. If they can get a coach that can simply bring that to the team, we should be a playoff team that will challenge for the division.

houstonspartan
11-30-2009, 02:08 AM

After Dungy's son committed suicide he pretty much made it clear that he wanted his primary focus to be on mentoring and helping young teenagers in trouble.

The football commenting gig is easier to squeeze in than the grind of being a head coach.

Never say never, but I don't think Dungy would ever coach again.

houstonspartan
11-30-2009, 02:11 AM
I don't understand why people wouldn't want to consider Mike Shanahan?

I'd be ecstatic if Cowher took the job, but my only concern is he'd want to revamp this team and it would take another 3-4 years to get where he'd want it to be.

With Shanahan, we'd basically keep the same personnel and not change much... thus we should see results immediately. The guy is a proven winner. I don't buy this "he'd be the same as Kubiak" crap. He's won multiple superbowls, Kubiak has never been to the playoffs... clearly, they aren't the same!

The thing that bothers me the most about this team is how they don't play a consistent 4 quarters. If they can get a coach that can simply bring that to the team, we should be a playoff team that will challenge for the division.

If your good friend was fired from his job, and it was offered to you, would you accept it?

No, you wouldn't. (At least, I wouldn't. Not if I had other offers).

Shanahan wouldn't take the job. Plus, I want a coach that likes big, fat, lineman.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
11-30-2009, 02:45 AM
I vote Cowher, but Billick also interests me...

Billick's got this going for him (first 20 secs). :clap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6QKhpxLcHU

Corrosion
11-30-2009, 03:25 AM
Shanahan wouldn't take the job. Plus, I want a coach that likes big, fat, lineman.

Dont think we have ever had one of those here with the Texans - I want to see some road grader's on the interior of the OL too .... tired of this pussyfootin around , lets knock the other guy's on their asses.

HJam72
11-30-2009, 03:33 AM
Dont think we have ever had one of those here with the Texans - I want to see some road grader's on the interior of the OL too .... tired of this *****footin around , lets knock the other guy's on their asses.

OK, calm down, relax, and please tell me you're straight. :pop:

Corrosion
11-30-2009, 03:38 AM
OK, calm down, relax, and please tell me you're straight. :pop:

rep ..... :spit:

(and yes , very straight)

painekiller
11-30-2009, 03:42 AM
My wise list is like this, I missed a few guys, and I have some guys I like at the bottom, like Harbaugh, but I also want a NFL guy, which he was.

Bill Cowher
Jeff Fisher if he is fired
Mike Holmgren
Steve Mariucci
Marty Schottenheimer
Greg Williams
Jim Fassel
Mike Mularkey
Mike Heimerdinger
Jim Harbaugh
Cam Cameron
Ron Meeks
Mike Tice
Kevin Gilbride

Dream Teams?

HC Bill Cowher
Asst HC / OC Mike Mularkey
DC Jim Haslett

or

HC Mike Holmgren
OC Jim Zorn
DC Ted Cottrell

3-4 defense

Smith - Hampton FA signing - Williams
Cushing - Ryans-Diles -Barwin

eriadoc
11-30-2009, 03:04 PM
My wise list is like this, I missed a few guys, and I have some guys I like at the bottom, like Harbaugh, but I also want a NFL guy, which he was.

Bill Cowher
Mike Holmgren
Steve Mariucci
Marty Schottenheimer
Greg Williams
Jim Fassel
Mike Mularkey
Mike Heimerdinger
Jim Harbaugh
Cam Cameron
Ron Meeks
Mike Tice
Kevin Gilbride

Dream Teams?

HC Bill Cowher
DC Jim Haslett

or

HC Mike Holmgren
OC Jim Zorn
DC Ted Cottrell

3-4 defense

Hell **** no. I don't want anything to do with that POS. He coaches his players to play dirty, and all it's gotten him is a career winning percentage of slightly better than .500.

Second Honeymoon
11-30-2009, 03:18 PM

Bill Cowher
Mike Holmgren
Steve Mariucci
Marty Schottenheimer
Greg Williams
Jim Fassel
Mike Mularkey
Mike Heimerdinger
Jim Harbaugh
Cam Cameron
Ron Meeks
Mike Tice
Kevin Gilbride

Dream Teams?

HC Bill Cowher
DC Jim Haslett

or

HC Mike Holmgren
OC Jim Zorn
DC Ted Cottrell

3-4 defense

Gilbride? Really? I am all for leaving no stone unturned but I just can't freaking stand that guy.

He represents a part of my football history that I wish to forget and that would just be too much. Schaub wearing #8 is bad enough, I don't wan to have to be reminded of Oilers failures too every time I see his porcine face.

I do like your dream coaching lineups and they are doable.

Meeks is an intriguing name because he would bring some of his knowledge of the Colts (and possibly how to beat them) to the Texans. Unless we get an established name ala Cowher, Holmgren, Dungy, and we decide to go after an unproven head coach, I hope we take a long look at a hiring a minority and Meeks would fit that bill. he also runs a 4-3 defense and knows how to run a system that accentuates your strengths and hides your weaknesses. Something Bush hasn't been able to do consistently enough.

I would gladly take Fisher as head coach. No doubt. Not gonna happen though. Fisher is in like flin as long as he doesn't want to stay.

Cowher is who we need to shoot for. Shoot for the moon.

If we could get Cowher and Haslett that would be enough for me to do the deal. I would prefer if any incoming regime keeps Bruce Matthews though. He belongs in Houston.

painekiller
11-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Gilbride? Really? I am all for leaving no stone unturned but I just can't freaking stand that guy. I can't stand the guy either

If we could get Cowher and Haslett that would be enough for me to do the deal. I would prefer if any incoming regime keeps Bruce Matthews though. He belongs in Houston.

I had Bruce down as the OLine coach, just decided not to so far as to name each position.

painekiller
11-30-2009, 07:25 PM
How about this change?

Dream Teams?

HC Bill Cowher
Asst HC / OC Charlie Weiss
DC Jim Haslett

gary
11-30-2009, 07:37 PM
How about this change?

Dream Teams?

HC Bill Cowher
Asst HC / OC Charlie Weiss
DC Jim HaslettLove it. I think Weiss will return to the NFL upon being fired.

Honoring Earl 34
11-30-2009, 08:06 PM
Love it. I think Weiss will return to the NFL upon being fired.

My darkhorse candidate , plus you get to kick Bud right in the cods .

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/89768899.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921CC759DF4EBAC47D02EDE5327ACEF0BEB 62AA02F6FB7D8EF4B0DDE9B234B9765BE30A760B0D811297