PDA

View Full Version : Is it we can't run on a 3-4?

awtysst
10-11-2009, 08:08 PM
One thing I have not noticed on today's topics is the comment about our problems with the 3-4 defense. Now we already played the Jets and most of us acknowledged that their 3-4 is a superior D. In addition we have struggled against the Steelers (last year) who also play an effective 3-4. So this was our first opponent that played a non elite 3-4. We could not run on them.

Looking ahead here are the following opponents:
Cinci:4-3
SF:3-4
Buf: 4-3
Indi:4-3
Tenn:4-3
Indi:4-3
Jags:4-3
Sea: 4-3
Stl:4-3
Mia:3-4
NE:3-4

So, 11 more opponents and 8/11 are 4-3 teams. So pretty much do not expect to be able to run the ball much against the SF, Mia, and NE. We were able to ryn the ball against the Jags and Raiders. However, we could not run on Tenn, Cards, or Jets.

So, yeah its not as much that we cant run on 3-4 teams. We have trouble running on any decent defense, 3-4 or 4-3.

TheRealJoker
10-11-2009, 08:17 PM
Kubiak acknowledged the ZBS's weakness is the 3-4 defense this past offseason and claimed that Anthony Hill would be the solution because a 2 TE set is the answer. Hill has yet to get on the field this year. I wonder if a big monster like Herman Johnson would've done more to help us than a TE that cant get off the inactive list?

I bet we could've gotten a yard running behind 360+ pound Herman Johnson (a late 5th round draft pick this year)!!!

thunderkyss
10-11-2009, 08:24 PM
I think our running game is hampered by poor play selection, and a determination to prove we can run the ball.

Once we decide to build our offensive game plan on our receivers (including OD) it will open the running game, just like it did last year.

thunderkyss
10-11-2009, 08:26 PM
& when we are in the redzone, why is Steve Slaton even in the game? That should have been Chris Brown once we crossed the 20.

Then earlier in the game, when he played a full series.... we handed him the ball once? He was in there for at least 6 plays, and we handed it to him once? Didn't make a lot of sense to me.

thunderkyss
10-11-2009, 08:27 PM
& Ryan Moats.... he's active... why isn't he getting any carries?

He might look like Slaton, but he's a totally different runner. I think those two should be sharing the carries, until we get in the redzone.