PDA

View Full Version : If Caldwell doesn't play this week, I'm gonna freak

jaayteetx
10-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Seriously, his time is now. He can't do worse, can he?

jaayteetx
10-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Make that next week, against the Bengals.

mariowillshine15
10-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Every run up the middle makes me wanna take a hammer to the tv.

Knowing its not going to work before the play makes me laugh at how inept the coaching staff is.

If a person playing Madden can call correct plays why cant they?

Kimmy
10-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Seriously, his time is now. He can't do worse, can he?

I agree ... 150%

SAMURAITEXAN
10-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Myers was back up C with Broncos and he still is good back up C. Caldwell needs reps and he may pan out to be a starting material. Yes, why not give Caldwell some experience he needs.

Go Texans!!

4Texans
10-11-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm ready to see what the kid can do. Give him some playing time, and he'll become a better pro.

Second Honeymoon
10-11-2009, 08:08 PM
If Caldwell isn't better than Myers, then its a failed draft pick.

If Myers is the best you got, you don't have crap. Go out and get someone who doesn't suck.

PLEASE!!

TheRealJoker
10-11-2009, 08:11 PM
We used a 3rd round pick on Caldwell, we've lost 2 games because we couldn't get the push needed (forget the Brown fumble. We should've scored before that). Let Caldwell show us what he's got!!!

If you're picked in the 3rd round you should be a starting center in the NFL, especially when your competition is Chris Myers!!!

ATXtexanfan
10-11-2009, 08:23 PM
We used a 3rd round pick on Myers, we've lost 2 games because we couldn't get the push needed (forget the Brown fumble. We should've scored before that). Let Caldwell show us what he's got!!!

If you're picked in the 3rd round you should be a starting center in the NFL, especially when your competition is Chris Myers!!!

blame it on a lack of coaching, we don't develop players for our system. nor do we draft to fit our system.

TheIronDuke
10-11-2009, 08:33 PM
We used a 3rd round pick on Myers, we've lost 2 games because we couldn't get the push needed (forget the Brown fumble. We should've scored before that). Let Caldwell show us what he's got!!!

Pretty sure we used a 6th on Myers.

TheRealJoker
10-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Pretty sure we used a 6th on Myers.

Yes we did, I mistyped and meant Caldwell.

TheIronDuke
10-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Actually, we gave up a 6th for him in a trade. Either way I agree that Caldwell can't be any worse than him. Myers is too small, too weak.

thunderkyss
10-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Myers is one of our better OLmen. If I had to rank them..... Meyers is probably our best, especially in the run game. He's no worse than Saturday, Mawai, or Todd McClure.

They just do a better job of not exposing him too often.

Myers, Brisiel, Brown, Pitts, Winston, Studdard..... that's how our rank our OL. In my mind, Pitts & Winston need to go.

I'd like to see Caldwell play as well, but I'd like to see him at LG.

Scooter
10-11-2009, 08:58 PM
i dont know if myers deserves that much of a nod TK. i havent gone back through this one yet but he appears to be too quick to release and doesnt do enough to chip the linemen. while that makes him look good in individual results, it's often hurting the whole. he's also obviously a liability in heavy sets or when 1v1 against a tackle.

dtran04
10-11-2009, 09:14 PM
They actually rotated Chris White and Studdard today. Moves are in the works I guess.

Giant Tiger
10-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Yes, get Caldwell in there now :aggressive:

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
10-11-2009, 10:23 PM
Myers is one of our better OLmen. If I had to rank them..... Meyers is probably our best, especially in the run game. He's no worse than Saturday, Mawai, or Todd McClure.

WTF are you smoking.

Carr Bombed
10-11-2009, 11:19 PM
WTF are you smoking.

Seriously...

m5kwatts
10-11-2009, 11:39 PM
There's more to the Caldwell situation than we know.

b0ng
10-11-2009, 11:51 PM
I will be pretty shocked if Caldwell is playing at C before we are completely out of the playoffs.

dalemurphy
10-12-2009, 12:27 AM
If Caldwell isn't better than Myers, then its a failed draft pick.

If Myers is the best you got, you don't have crap. Go out and get someone who doesn't suck.

PLEASE!!

SH, it's not a failed draft pick if he's not better right now. You can't expect a 3rd round pick to start his rookie season at center. It can happen but it would be awfully premature to criticize the pick at this point.

By the way, Myers looks much worse next to Casey Studdard than he did next to Pitts. I doubt that is a coincidence. Also, Thunderkyss is right about the fact that he is solid in pass protection (though his OL rankings are absurd). The offensive playcalling was really poor in the run game late. All of their more exotic run plays have been very effective. Today, for instance, there were a couple draws that worked, a weak side pitch, and a power sweep... Where were those plays, or plays similar, at the end of the game. If you asked the Cardinal coaches on that 4th and goal what playcall they would be happiest with, I bet money they would say an I-formation power dive play right at Darnell Dockett with an upright runner that does have the quickness to cut to the edge of the defense. I'm hardly going to play Myers for that play. It's not as if he gets paid to drive block big DTs.

thunderkyss
10-12-2009, 10:55 AM
They actually rotated Chris White and Studdard today. Moves are in the works I guess.

Which didn't make sense to me. Chris White was coming along fine as a center.... I thought. Which is why I want Caldwell at guard. Left guard.

You think?

He plays on special teams, but that's it.

TimeKiller
10-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Myers is keeping my 6' 180 pound dream of being an NFL lineman alive. I always thought you had to be able to run block and pass block and do all kinds of blocking when your job is to block but since you can be an OL in the NFL without the ability of BLOCKING I'll just march my happy ass up to Kubiak and say, "Hey I'm from Denver and I have a great work ethic"

Big Lou
10-12-2009, 03:04 PM
The Center has more to do than just snap the ball and block. The Center has to make calls and read the defense more than the G's and T's. I'm guessing that Meyers is considered to be a much better Center mentally than physically. I don't think you can have just any old rookie come in and play center. I don't know how the ZBS comes in to play, but maybe Caldwell isn't ready mentally yet, although I wish he were as much as anyone in here....

Second Honeymoon
10-12-2009, 03:44 PM

They just do a better job of not exposing him too often.

Myers, Brisiel, Brown, Pitts, Winston, Studdard..... that's how our rank our OL. In my mind, Pitts & Winston need to go.

I'd like to see Caldwell play as well, but I'd like to see him at LG.

tkyss, you gotta be kidding me. you are comparing Myers to Jeff Saturday, Kevin Mawae, and Todd McClure? Todd McClure? more like Troy McClure. You might remember him from such horrible movies as 'Getting Stoned On Arizona Goldline' and 'Ragdoll' co-starring Kris Jenkins.

You may also remember him from his recurring role on Sundays as Scrubby McCenter on 'The Longest Yard'

http://12.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kq6eao2yqv1qz72f9o1_400.jpg

If Myers is so good why did they draft Caldwell early when there are, according to you, greater needs elsewhere?

hookinreds
10-12-2009, 03:44 PM
From the Press Con...sounds like Brisiel has a bad foot injury and Kubiak made it sound like he's going to be out a while and see a young guy (or rookie can't remember) would fill in. Said that Caldwell and Chris will be sharring duties...but couldn't tell if that meant Chris White and Caldwell at G or Meyer and Caldwell at C...or Caldwell at both?

Goldensilence
10-12-2009, 03:55 PM

Care to back this up with anything substantial? Or just speculation?

badboy
10-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Isn't Caldwell third team at center? I want to see Caldwell at LG, Myers at Rg and White at center.

jaayteetx
10-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Looks like I won't be freaking out, with Brisiel's injury and all. Not the way I wanted to see it happen, but maybe its a blessing in disguise.

BigBull17
10-13-2009, 10:50 AM
blame it on a lack of coaching, we don't develop players for our system. nor do we draft to fit our system.

No, its Kubiak who says every year at the end, " I should have played the kid more"

BigBull17
10-13-2009, 10:51 AM
Isn't Caldwell third team at center? I want to see Caldwell at LG, Myers at Rg and White at center.

Or Studdard. He has played his ass off.

b0ng
10-13-2009, 11:10 AM
I will be pretty shocked if Caldwell is playing at C before we are completely out of the playoffs.

Guess I should've said barring injury.

Brisco_County
10-13-2009, 07:45 PM
Alan Burge has been told that Caldwell's development has been slower than expected and he isn't ready.

http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner~y2009m10d12-Kubiak-presser-reading-between-the-lines

Check the update near the end of the article.

m5kwatts
10-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Care to back this up with anything substantial? Or just speculation?

Speculation, I mean why would you inactivate a 3rd round pick every week? The facts are we were high enough on him in April to make him a 3rd rounder and he's inactive despite guys drafted after him (GQ, Casey, McCain) being active. Yeah its different positions but clearly he's not the player right now that the Texans thought they drafted. And I'm not saying he can't get better, just commenting on the status quo.

Goldensilence
10-13-2009, 08:08 PM
Alan Burge has been told that Caldwell's development has been slower than expected and he isn't ready.

http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner~y2009m10d12-Kubiak-presser-reading-between-the-lines

Check the update near the end of the article.

Despite having the legendary Alex Gibbs and a HOF lineman on staff, the fact that they're having trouble with an All SEC Center really has me concerned about their ability to bring guys along.

As Alan pointed out Kubiak still thinks he's seeing good things from Studdard.

I'd still rather see Caldwell at center as opposed to guard. Guess Myers is another one of Kubiak's favorite "kids".

m5kwatts
10-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Despite having the legendary Alex Gibbs and a HOF lineman on staff, the fact that they're having trouble with an All SEC Center really has me concerned about their ability to bring guys along.

I'd still rather see Caldwell at center as opposed to guard. Guess Myers is another one of Kubiak's favorite "kids".

In their defense, they've turned Brisiel, a practice squad street FA into an NFL starter. Studdard has been serviceable. Winston and Brown's development has been tremendous. I have to disagree with your concern.

CloakNNNdagger
10-13-2009, 08:20 PM
Since Brisiel is out for the season, expect Caldwell to take his place, not Meyers'.

Texans#1Fan
10-13-2009, 08:33 PM
We just suck!!! Smith and Kub's need to go! We have not had a winning season and we will not have a winning season as long as they are here. Mcnair needs to open the check book for some good players such as an offensive line. You can run if you do not have blocking and it starts up front. Also, schaub is not the guy for this team. He needs to get the ball out sooner. We need a franchise QB. We just need a winning coach with a good record and we haven't had that .

m5kwatts
10-13-2009, 09:00 PM
We just suck!!! Smith and Kub's need to go! We have not had a winning season and we will not have a winning season as long as they are here. Mcnair needs to open the check book for some good players such as an offensive line. You can run if you do not have blocking and it starts up front. Also, schaub is not the guy for this team. He needs to get the ball out sooner. We need a franchise QB. We just need a winning coach with a good record and we haven't had that .

I don't think you'll find many people in the NFL who wouldn't consider Schaub to be a top 10 or even higher QB when healthy. You do know he's tied for 2nd in TDs and in the top 10 in QB rating and top 3 and yards and a bunch of other top QB stats.

JDizzle
10-13-2009, 09:15 PM

Hello, you must be new here. My name is JDizzle, welcome to the board.

FYI though - this is a Chris Meyers hate thread, not a Schaub hate thread. I know, too many hate threads around here these days to keep track of and you probably meant to put this in the proper hate thread, but we here at Texans Talk would appreciate it if you could work on your hate thread recognition a bit. I suggest sticking to Kubiak and Dunta hate threads until you become more familiar with it, there's plenty of them floating about so it should be easy.

TexansSeminole
10-13-2009, 09:16 PM

I guess Caldwell flunked the prancing ballerina class that Myers aced when he got here.

This strict light weight ZBS approach isn't working. Kubiak will get fired before he realizes it.

mussop
10-13-2009, 10:46 PM
I think its more of n indicator on our scouting than coaching. I watched Caldwell alot at Bama and thought he was at best a fith round pick. The guy isnt good in space. Always reaching and off balance. But hey, thats to the untrained eye. We'll see.

Goldensilence
10-14-2009, 12:02 AM
I think its more of n indicator on our scouting than coaching. I watched Caldwell alot at Bama and thought he was at best a fith round pick. The guy isnt good in space. Always reaching and off balance. But hey, thats to the untrained eye. We'll see.

I guess that's your personal opinion.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/antoine-caldwell?id=71239

Sounds pretty good to me. I guess I'm not understanding how a guy who was so versatile along the line at Alabama suddenly turns into a guy who "struggles in space".

I'd like to think the staff could work with an All American center.

m5kwatts
10-14-2009, 02:59 AM
Daniel Jeremiah (@movethesticks on twitter) former nfl scout Browns/Ravens went to Texans training camp and left saying Caldwell was the biggest steal of the draft for Texans... He's saying he'll add a much needed physicality element to our line now... This has gone understated, dude is tough and mean, two things a lot of critics on here say the team lacks.

I'm more in the "winning makes you look tough" boat but he's a scout and I'm not.

TimeKiller
10-14-2009, 07:20 AM
Analysis
Positives: Good height and plays with a wider base than his weight may signal. Excellent burst after the snap, getting up into his man very quickly to create a gap or pass protect. Strong enough to put tackles on the ground, but quick enough to get to the outside shoulder of either guard to help protect the quarterback. Strong, active hands to engage the defender and can drive defenders off the ball. Smart player who makes line calls. Adept at the shotgun snap. Durable. Four-year starter.

Negatives: Could be more aware and help the quarterback as plays break down. Lacks elite lateral quickness to get down the line or get to linebackers in combo or zone blocks. Lumbers a bit when trying to get downfield to block.

If he struggles in zone blocks why, I ask, why on earth would the Texans draft him? OH YEAH because he's big, he's fast, he's strong and HE PLAYS CENTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL at Schaub being the problem.

76Texan
10-14-2009, 07:41 AM
I guess that's your personal opinion.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/antoine-caldwell?id=71239

Sounds pretty good to me. I guess I'm not understanding how a guy who was so versatile along the line at Alabama suddenly turns into a guy who "struggles in space".

I'd like to think the staff could work with an All American center.I don't understand why but nfl.com report on a draft prospect can be pretty innacurate at times.

I find that cbssports.com usually does a better job.
(At any rate I'd rather believe my own eyes though.)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/518739

You can read about the positives in that report.
But I always pay more attention to the negativities when I scout a player.
I believe it's much more important.

- Appears a bit stiff in his hips, as he loses his burst when having to redirect;
his feet tend to die when he has to suddenly shift direction.
- labor when trying to get into the second level.
- does not appear to have the suddenness to get out and make plays in space.
needs to improve his lateral agility, one of the few weak areas in his game.
- does not react as quickly when plays break down in the backfield.
- marginal lateral agility, does not do a good job of moving side to side .
- struggles quite a bit in his retreat and kick slide when taking on edge rushers.
- needs to improve his hand usage, as he will expose his chest, and with just adequate upper body strength, defenders have good success walking him back into the pocket when they get into his body.
- will have to improve his upper body strength to better lock out and control.
- needs to develop a stronger hand punch; lacking the upper body strength to shock and jolt.

I've reviewed 9 games listed in that report an I agree with the above assessments.
Caldwell was very inconsistent at Alabama as well as in the Senior Bowl.

I believe he is better suited for the power game than the ZBS;
that's why I agree to have him at C in short yardage situation.

76Texan
10-14-2009, 07:54 AM
I'd like to think the staff could work with an All American center.

Again, my opinion is that Pouncey at Florida was an overall better Center in the SEC last year.
But since he was only a Sophomore, and Alabama had good success for the year, they voted Caldwell first-team SEC.

Miscellanneous notes:
- The coaching staff can work with him on techniques; and help him develop better upper body strentgh; but flexibility and agility are hard to teach, and I don't know how to correct stiff hips (cosmetic surgery? LOL!)
- I think Martial Arts like Taekwondo and Judo are excellent for blockers. Both help with footwork, agility and flexibility overall, and the use of the hands and arms to thwart off defenders.
- Caldwell hardly played any big NT last year; if I remember correctly, the biggest guy he faced weighed 318 lbs.
- There were quite a few opponents who prefer to attack the Bama offense off the edge.
They don't want the QB John Parker Wilson to get out of the pocket; the guy was good in the move.