PDA

View Full Version : We are who we thought we were

Grid
10-11-2009, 06:44 PM
When I was watching us go down by 21 points in the first half.. I was thinking to myself how a performance like this used to put me in a bad mood for the rest of the day. And as I sat there shrugging it off.. I couldnt help but realize that this team really didnt have that kind of affect on me anymore.. I was not emotionally invested in their success like I used to be.

So then the second half rolled around and we were playing like the team I expected us to be before the season started. We were shutting down a productive offense and we were making plays on offense.

by the time we had tied it up... I had forgotten that Schaub had been throwing the ball like a 2nd string high school QB all game.. I had forgotten that our running game was more like a crawling game.. i had forgotten that our secondary wouldnt know an interception from an intervention... and that our defensive line was averaging less than one sack per game.

I found myself on the edge of my seat.. emotionally invested again..cheering and yelling at the TV. And then when Schaub threw that interception I felt it sink in again. The bad mood.. I had allowed myself to get caught up in the game and was once again looking into the gaping maw of a horrible sunday afternoon.

But I said screw it.. we are on fire.. we have climed a mountain and were ready to take the next step.. I knew our defense would stop Arizona and that we would get the ball again. So I sat there quietly and watched...and sure enough we stopped them, and we got the ball again..and Davis ran it back to their 40 yard line and I had to stand for there rest of the game.

When we got it down to the 2 yard line I knew we were going to overtime.. I knew we would get the touchdown and have a shot at winning the game. And honestly.. if we HAD done that and had lost it in overtime..I probably would have been able to smile and say that we had taken a step and were gonna have a good year.

But then we were sitting there.. 3rd and goal.. and the 2nd string high school QB returned.. and now.. after starting with 3 goal line attempts... we were down to our last play.. the last chance to make the TD... and I knew it was over.

I knew that I had fallen into a huge trap by letting myself believe that a houston team... especially the texans.. would pull off an upset. The city of houston expended its "clutch win quota" in the 90s with the Rockets.. and we wont be getting another helping of it for at least a few more decades.

So as I sat there knowing what was about to happen but hoping that this time I might be wrong.. and as I watched us run that pathetic Chris Brown ".2 yards and a cloud of fail" play... I felt sick. Literally sick.. as if I needed to throw up but didnt have the energy to do it. I want to be angry but so far have only been able to generate disgust and contempt for this team.

This was a pathetic end to a pathetic performance by a team that has no chance of doing anything worth watching this season. We wont finish with a winning record.. if, by some miracle, we do.. it wont result in a playoff berth. If we manage to go 9-6 it will only prolong the rebuilding phase. We are a horrible team.. with horrible coaching...horrible players.. a horrible work ethic..and a winning attitude that doesnt deserve to even be called horrible because for something to BE horrible it first has to EXIST.

I wish I had the energy and love for the game to migrate to a different team and support someone who actually WANTS to win.. but I dont. The Texans have beaten my love of football out of me.. and now all I can do is sit and wait for this team to do something, ANYTHING..that I can be proud of.

I regret now that roughly 50% of my wardrobe is Texans gear.. because, if I didnt need the clothes, id be having a bonfire tonight.

go to hell Texans. I came into this game thinking you were a losing team with bad coaching and a poor attitude.. and you tricked me into believing in you. In the end you were the team I thought you were.. and rediscovering it in a single afternoon has killed the last bit of love that I had left for you.

:choke:

FirstTexansFan
10-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Welcome to reality Grid... remember, I still love ya :)

MEGA SWATT
10-11-2009, 07:06 PM
There is a shorter way to get your point across:

Texans suck now, always have, and by all accounts will always suck and I hate them.

Can't say I disagree.

Kimmy
10-11-2009, 07:09 PM
The thing is, we were supposed to LOSE this game, almost everyone picked against us.

What kills you is that they rallied back and just couldn't get it done.

We have to get it together, somewhere, somehow.

MEGA SWATT
10-11-2009, 07:13 PM
The thing is, we were supposed to LOSE this game, almost everyone picked against us.

What kills you is that they rallied back and just couldn't get it done.

We have to get it together, somewhere, somehow.

It won't happen. We don't have good coaching, we don't have anything at all that resembles killer instinct or heart. Texans are a bowl of soft, and they are wasting the career of bad azzes like andre johnson and mario williams.

How many freaking times did schaub over throw the ball to the corner of the endzone or the back of the endzone? Man he sucks.

worldlyman
10-11-2009, 07:24 PM
The fact is, the Texans still have a lot to build on.

All the Negative Nellies who can only say they "suck" ought to quit watching and get off the bandwagon.

To be down 21-0 yet scrap back and show a spirit is something I admire about these Texans. In the NFL, when a team has weapons and has shown some decent signs of life this season, a 21-0 lead is not insurmountable.

Just two goal line opportunities from a chance at a 4-1 record the past two losses.

They have to keep building on it and eventually they'll get it.

I think there's been too much expectations this year but to look at things objectively, the Texans offense could be more consistent and work on short goal line offense better.

The defense is starting to come around. Sure Kurt Warner did his thing but this game showed they can adjust when its needed. The Texans D is improving.

The reality is, with the exception of the Jets game, the Texans have not "sucked" this year when you really analyze this year. They need to continue working and stay consistent.

"Horrible" team are the Texans? Like the Negative Nellies would rather root for the Rams, Bucs, Raiders, Chiefs...

Rebuilding is not an option at this point. The Texans have the weapons to build on. And unlike 0-4 last year, just a couple plays from a good chance to be 4-1 at this point.

You can give up and cry, jump off a cliff or you keep working on things. I think the Texans will prefer to keep working on things.

MEGA SWATT
10-11-2009, 07:27 PM

All the Negative Nellies who can only say they "suck" ought to quit watching and get off the bandwagon.

To be down 21-0 yet scrap back and show a spirit is something I admire about these Texans. In the NFL, when a team has weapons and has shown some decent signs of life this season, a 21-0 lead is not insurmountable.

Just two goal line opportunities from a chance at a 4-1 record the past two losses.

I think there's been too much expectations this year but to look at things objectively, the Texans offense could be more consistent and work on short goal line offense better.

The defense is starting to come around. Sure Kurt Warner did his thing but this game showed they can adjust when its needed. The Texans D is improving.

The reality is, with the exception of the Jets game, the Texans have not "sucked" this year when you really analyze this year. They need to continue working and stay consistent.

"Horrible" team are the Texans? Like the Negative Nellies would rather root for the Rams, Bucs, Raiders, Chiefs...

Rebuilding is not an option at this point. The Texans have the weapons to build on. And unlike 0-4 last year, just a couple plays from a good chance to be 4-1 at this point.

You can give up and cry, jump off a cliff or you keep working on things. I think the Texans will prefer to keep working on things.

all the positive nellies need to start therapy for delusional disorder.

texans suck bro. let's be realistic.

Kimmy
10-11-2009, 07:28 PM

I agree with you. Like I said, we were SUPPOSED to lose, that's what made this SOOOOO hard. I have never said or written "Fire somebody" .. but seriously .. they are in a performance job.

Very much like a sales job, if you don't sell/perform, you get replaced. I am finally beginning to think the Texans could learn a little something from retail on that point.

worldlyman
10-11-2009, 07:30 PM

Nah. It's called objectivity. Naming the things that need to be improved but NOT throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

It's the Negative Nellies that might need counseling for extreme negativity.

worldlyman
10-11-2009, 07:36 PM
I agree with you. Like I said, we were SUPPOSED to lose, that's what made this SOOOOO hard. I have never said or written "Fire somebody" .. but seriously .. they are in a performance job.

Very much like a sales job, if you don't sell/perform, you get replaced. I am finally beginning to think the Texans could learn a little something from retail on that point.

Yeah, but the Cushings, A Johnsons, Schaubs, M Williams and such don't come off the streets so easily unlike for retail positions. An NFL team with imperfect upside should not be torn down so easily. That comes when age and bad chemistry are factors.

I don't think it's the coaching as the Texans have shown good discipline for the most part. It's just execution and adjustment...and adding more proper players to the young defense.

MEGA SWATT
10-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Nah. It's called objectivity. Naming the things that need to be improved but NOT throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Actually being realistic here. I guess we will agree to disagree b/c I think all the positive nellies are delusional and or in denial. This team does not have it. Both wins came against teams with losing records. I will take back my comments when this team can consitently win at home and on the road, win b2b games, close out close games, force overtimes, win in overtime and oh yeah get and maintain a winning record and 8-8 and 9-7 won't cut it if they are so lucky to sniff that record.

Ryan
10-11-2009, 11:59 PM
This entire post describes my feelings flawlessly. I turned off the game at the half though because in fact i predicted that they were going to make some sort of comeback and they wanted me to get sucked in again, but i did no such thing. Because i knew, in the end, once again, this team would disappoint me. Maybe someday, they can give me hope for every single game that they are going to play hard for 4 quarters and win consistently, but under this regime, with this overload of crappy, unmotivated players, this team is going N-O-W-H-E-R-E. But of course i'll be suckered back in when they put together some sort of winning streak, only to back it up with the same, if not worse losing streak. This team sucks, and for the first time ever today, I yelled at the tv "I Hate The Texans!" and i meant it. I will continue to love and support the texans, just because i was suckered in from the get go, and i do not believe there is a way out. I've spent hours, days, weeks, months, years worrying about this team getting better, maybe one day being able to shout out to the world "I'm a Texans fan" and not get my ass laughed at. This team always bounces back when the chips are down, just to get the chips down once again a week later. This team enjoys disappointing themselves, their beloved fans, and all the media that believed maybe this is the year for them to make playoffs.

With all that said, see you guys next sunday. :gun:

Texecutioner
10-12-2009, 12:17 AM

Pass me the crack pipe when you're done. I don't really care if I lose my mind at this point any way. With the frustration that I have to feel from Sunday to Sunday, I might as well be as high as you obviously are.

Vinny
10-12-2009, 12:17 AM
This team reeks of mediocre - from top to bottom. Kubiak's teams are so milquetoast and listless at times it drives me bonkers. I've completely lost confidence in him as a NFL Head Coach. Kubiak couldn't motivate a linebacking corps comprised of Jack Lambert, Mike Singletary and Lawrence Taylor. Kubiak makes Jack Pardee look like the Shamwow spokesman guy. There is no way I can watch his presser tomorrow as he taps the podium and tells us how much he sucks. I'd rather watch Seinfeld reruns...at least those are still funny even though I know what's coming.

beerlover
10-12-2009, 12:20 AM
can't play the entire game don't deserve a win bottom line :barman:

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
10-12-2009, 12:24 AM
This team reeks of mediocre - from top to bottom. Kubiak's teams are so milquetoast and listless at times it drives me bonkers. I've completely lost confidence in him as a NFL Head Coach. Kubiak couldn't motivate a linebacking corps comprised of Jack Lambert, Mike Singletary and Lawrence Taylor. Kubiak makes Jack Pardee look like the Shamwow spokesman guy. There is no way I can watch his presser tomorrow as he taps the podium and tells us how much he sucks. I'd rather watch Seinfeld reruns...at least those are still funny even though I know what's coming.

So you're not "damn proud of these Texans?" :whistle:

utahmark
10-12-2009, 12:32 AM

switch to The Office. it's the new Seinfeld.:spin:

Vinny
10-12-2009, 01:35 AM
So you're not "damn proud of these Texans?" :whistle:Sticking with Seinfeld references, let's just say everything has a George Costanza-like feel to it when the Texans are on the road. There is a certain gloom that captures the imagination as the "hey, I've seen this before" kicks in.

dalemurphy
10-12-2009, 01:48 AM
Sticking with Seinfeld references, let's just say everything has a George Costanza-like feel to it when the Texans are on the road. There is a certain gloom that captures the imagination as the "hey, I've seen this before" kicks in.

Vinny, I totally get your frustration. And, I'm really close to jumping off the Kubiak bandwagon also. But, my guess is this game was closer than you expected and the defense played better than you anticipated. So, I'm on the bandwagon until they lose to either Cincy, SF, or Buffalo. If they can't beat those teams, who they are more talented than, then I think I'm done with Kubiak and ready to pink soap it. My pink soap record is perfect, by the way. So, when I'm done with him, then he's gone.

Vinny
10-12-2009, 01:54 AM
Vinny, I totally get your frustration. And, I'm really close to jumping off the Kubiak bandwagon also. But, my guess is this game was closer than you expected and the defense played better than you anticipated. So, I'm on the bandwagon until they lose to either Cincy, SF, or Buffalo. If they can't beat those teams, who they are more talented than, then I think I'm done with Kubiak and ready to pink soap it. My pink soap record is perfect, by the way. So, when I'm done with him, then he's gone.
no, and no. I picked them to lose and put very few confidence points on the Cards (a yahoo pick'em reference btw) so I figured it could go either way. This team is fearlessly mediocre and with all great mediocre teams they do great things...here and there. In fact, they do just enough great things to win about half the time. :gun:

I don't need any soap, I'm just off the "I think he can do it" train and buying a ticket on the, "Not this again" express. I'm a weary traveler.

El Tejano
10-12-2009, 10:28 AM
When I was watching us go down by 21 points in the first half.. I was thinking to myself how a performance like this used to put me in a bad mood for the rest of the day. And as I sat there shrugging it off.. I couldnt help but realize that this team really didnt have that kind of affect on me anymore.. I was not emotionally invested in their success like I used to be.

So then the second half rolled around and we were playing like the team I expected us to be before the season started. We were shutting down a productive offense and we were making plays on offense.

by the time we had tied it up... I had forgotten that Schaub had been throwing the ball like a 2nd string high school QB all game.. I had forgotten that our running game was more like a crawling game.. i had forgotten that our secondary wouldnt know an interception from an intervention... and that our defensive line was averaging less than one sack per game.

I found myself on the edge of my seat.. emotionally invested again..cheering and yelling at the TV. And then when Schaub threw that interception I felt it sink in again. The bad mood.. I had allowed myself to get caught up in the game and was once again looking into the gaping maw of a horrible sunday afternoon.

But I said screw it.. we are on fire.. we have climed a mountain and were ready to take the next step.. I knew our defense would stop Arizona and that we would get the ball again. So I sat there quietly and watched...and sure enough we stopped them, and we got the ball again..and Davis ran it back to their 40 yard line and I had to stand for there rest of the game.

When we got it down to the 2 yard line I knew we were going to overtime.. I knew we would get the touchdown and have a shot at winning the game. And honestly.. if we HAD done that and had lost it in overtime..I probably would have been able to smile and say that we had taken a step and were gonna have a good year.

But then we were sitting there.. 3rd and goal.. and the 2nd string high school QB returned.. and now.. after starting with 3 goal line attempts... we were down to our last play.. the last chance to make the TD... and I knew it was over.

I knew that I had fallen into a huge trap by letting myself believe that a houston team... especially the texans.. would pull off an upset. The city of houston expended its "clutch win quota" in the 90s with the Rockets.. and we wont be getting another helping of it for at least a few more decades.

So as I sat there knowing what was about to happen but hoping that this time I might be wrong.. and as I watched us run that pathetic Chris Brown ".2 yards and a cloud of fail" play... I felt sick. Literally sick.. as if I needed to throw up but didnt have the energy to do it. I want to be angry but so far have only been able to generate disgust and contempt for this team.

This was a pathetic end to a pathetic performance by a team that has no chance of doing anything worth watching this season. We wont finish with a winning record.. if, by some miracle, we do.. it wont result in a playoff berth. If we manage to go 9-6 it will only prolong the rebuilding phase. We are a horrible team.. with horrible coaching...horrible players.. a horrible work ethic..and a winning attitude that doesnt deserve to even be called horrible because for something to BE horrible it first has to EXIST.

I wish I had the energy and love for the game to migrate to a different team and support someone who actually WANTS to win.. but I dont. The Texans have beaten my love of football out of me.. and now all I can do is sit and wait for this team to do something, ANYTHING..that I can be proud of.

I regret now that roughly 50% of my wardrobe is Texans gear.. because, if I didnt need the clothes, id be having a bonfire tonight.

go to hell Texans. I came into this game thinking you were a losing team with bad coaching and a poor attitude.. and you tricked me into believing in you. In the end you were the team I thought you were.. and rediscovering it in a single afternoon has killed the last bit of love that I had left for you.

:choke:

So I guess you will still be there watching the game next week like the rest of us huh?

Ben Frank
10-12-2009, 10:42 AM
some of u guys need counseling.. seriously! Being a sports fanatic isn't easy.. especially when u have a team with so much potential.. but can't seem to figure out how to get it done.. Houstonians who watch the Astros, Rockets, and Texans.. and are die hard fans.. should probably hit some green, and try to put the sports away for a while.. cuz between injuries.. and whatever else that could possibly happen, to cause us to loose.. will probably happen..

HOU-TEX
10-12-2009, 10:43 AM
some of u guys need counseling.. seriously! Being a sports fanatic isn't easy.. especially when u have a team with so much potential.. but can't seem to figure out how to get it done.. Houstonians who watch the Astros, Rockets, and Texans.. and are die hard fans.. should probably hit some green, and try to put the sports away for a while.. cuz between injuries.. and whatever else that could possibly happen, to cause us to loose.. will probably happen..

WTF does this mean? :thinking:

Texan_Bill
10-12-2009, 10:45 AM
WTF does this mean? :thinking:

Chill out and smoke the hippy lettuce?? :choke:

badboy
10-12-2009, 10:48 AM

:choke:You can always watch the Rockets and Astros. :gun:

NitroGSXR
10-12-2009, 11:00 AM

The Texans dont suck. Gary Kubiak sucks. I expect the Texans to make a Kubiak firing announcement today. Anything less is unacceptable. Forget about Gary Kubiak! He's an overglorified offensive coordinator who's stuck in a head coaching gig.

Hagar
10-12-2009, 11:06 AM
I highly recommend you start drinking. It helps with the mood swings.

:drunk:

Texecutioner
10-12-2009, 11:13 AM
The Texans dont suck. Gary Kubiak sucks. I expect the Texans to make a Kubiak firing announcement today. Anything less is unacceptable. Forget about Gary Kubiak! He's an overglorified offensive coordinator who's stuck in a head coaching gig.

Exactly.

I noticed today and really noticed that this is a good football team with enough talent to make some big moves. We just need coaching. We just need a real leader that can hire the right assistants on both sides of the ball and can have these players playing the way they need to play in all situations.

Kubes is the reason why this team is under achieving. We have good enough players to make the playoffs this season, but it won't happen under Gary Kubiak. The guy is terrible.

El Tejano
10-12-2009, 01:35 PM
People are talking about Kubiak but how come noone ever says anything about Kyle Shanahan? When he's on he's on but he sure does take his time getting his unit going. Then when they do, he doesn't know how to keep his foot on the gas.

MannyFresh
10-12-2009, 01:38 PM
People are talking about Kubiak but how come noone ever says anything about Kyle Shanahan? When he's on he's on but he sure does take his time getting his unit going. Then when they do, he doesn't know how to keep his foot on the gas.

Because its starts out with the guy in charge. His guys' decisions are a reflection on him, Kubiak is the one who's ultimately responsible for the his subordinates coaching decisions.

silvrhand
10-12-2009, 01:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_N1OjGhIFc

Double Barrel
10-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Gotta' love the Sunshine Clubbers coming into a vent thread saying "we were supposed to lose!".

That's Houston optimism for ya'! :ok:

I love watching football, but being a Houston football fan my entire life just sucks. It makes it hard to watch good teams, simply because you see them doing everything that our team never does.

And for those saying "at least we're not the Bucs, Raiders, Rams"...whateva'. You do realize that they have some things that the Texans have never had, right? Mainly winning seasons and Super Bowl trophies in their history.

All we can hope for is a winning freakin' season one day. yeah, that's Houston optimism.

Goldensilence
10-12-2009, 04:02 PM

Gotta agree a little with Manny. I think Shannahan is insulated by the fact he's being perceived as being Kubiak's puppet at OC ultimately. I think it's hard to let Gary let go of his duties as an OC.

Ultimately when I was calling for the team to go ahead and put the foot on the gas against the Raiders, we had people here praising Gary for being a good guy letting the gas off and "figuring out where our running game problems are".

One week later even Davie Carr strolls into the end zone in a blowout victory by the Giants.

Runner
10-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Gotta' love the Sunshine Clubbers coming into a vent thread saying "we were supposed to lose!".

That's Houston optimism for ya'! :ok:

Good one.

And for those saying "at least we're not the Bucs, Raiders, Rams"...whateva'. You do realize that they have some things that the Texans have never had, right? Mainly winning seasons and Super Bowl trophies in their history.

I notice the Bengals aren't on that list anymore. As recent as last season the Raiders and Bengals were the ultimate losers. Then the Bengals did the impossible. They got better.

Vinny
10-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Good one.

I notice the Bengals aren't on that list anymore. As recent as last season the Raiders and Bengals were the ultimate losers. Then the Bengals did the impossible. They got better.
Bengals have been to two Super Bowls more than any Houston franchise.

FILO_girl
10-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Notice that its the new posters with the positive outlook and dissing on those who have been down this road on this board for the last 4-7 years? :roast:

Old school posters, I am with you...I am one of you. :shades:

What is the definition of insanity? Remember, its inSANity not inFANity. :voodoo:

I'm a weary traveler too, Vinny...

Go Texans, but being the butt of all the office NFL jokes is getting way old.
*sigh*

thunderkyss
10-12-2009, 05:33 PM

Great post Grid.... & I feel you. I was just like you.

Then after that Pre-season game against Minnesota.... I came to the realization, that we suck.

When more of us realize, that Matt Schaub is not Peyton Manning, that he is not Peyton-like.... this will be easier for us to swallow.

Slaton is not Peterson, or LT, or Chris Johnson, or MJD.... he's just not.. he's not even Darren Sproles. He's Steve Slaton.

Mario isn't Strahan, or Reggie White, or Charles Haley..... he's Mario Williams.

Demeco isn't LT or Ray Lewis, or Dick Butkus.

They are who they are, and we are who we are, & right now, we suck.

I expected us to beat the Jets...... I underestimated Mark Sanchez. But that was it. If we won another game this year, I figured it was going to be because we played a poor team.... Raiders, or the refs helped us out.

Defensively, we weren't playing very good football, and offensively if it wasn't the Coach or the QB getting in our way...... it was the Coach or the QB getting in our way.

Right now, we are a team trying to find out who the heck we are..... you'd think we would know by now...... but we don't.

So I don't care any more if we win or lose. I want to be entertained. I want to see that ball fly from one end of the field to the other. I want to see some hard hitting, I want to see a ball carrier scamper, & juke, & cut, & dive, & fight for everything he can get.

& I don't care who is carrying the ball.

So far, 3 of our last 5 games, I was very entertained. Tennessee, Jacksonville, & Arizona.... We didn't win them all.... so what. We suck, and we aren't supposed to win.

I know it's hard to wake up Sunday morning, knowing you're going to lose..... but what keeps me interested, is that I hope it's a nail-biter, & I hope it keeps me engaged till the final second.

bckey
10-12-2009, 05:45 PM
I guess I'm different. I don't like those great comeback games that we lose right at the end. It feels like somebody pulled my heart out and stomped on it. If the Texans are going to lose just lay a complete egg and save us all the pain.

The Titans game a couple of years ago was bad but 2 already this year in only 5 games is really bad.

Runner
10-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Bengals have been to two Super Bowls more than any Houston franchise.

Oops. I didn't mean I thought they were the ultimate losers; I've seen it in posts last year. I remember when the had the 49ers beat in the Super Bowl but lost it when the coaches decided to play "not to lose" for the second half rather than keep their foot on the gas.

NitroGSXR
10-13-2009, 12:15 AM
Exactly.

I noticed today and really noticed that this is a good football team with enough talent to make some big moves. We just need coaching. We just need a real leader that can hire the right assistants on both sides of the ball and can have these players playing the way they need to play in all situations.

Kubes is the reason why this team is under achieving. We have good enough players to make the playoffs this season, but it won't happen under Gary Kubiak. The guy is terrible.

I dont think he's terrible. He's just as his record the last two season shows... painstakingly average. He's got a gimmicky offense that gets shut down by teams with good old fashioned hardnosed defenses.

DerekLee1
10-13-2009, 12:19 AM

Blah blah blah. When it comes down to it, in 2 days' time, or a week, or at the end of the season when we're 9-7 or 10-6 or 8-8, you'll be back just like the rest of us. Quit your whining. Either be a fan or don't. But quit faking or quit bitching.