View Full Version : Kubiak lost that game

nut
10-11-2009, 07:14 PM

Kimmy
10-11-2009, 07:15 PM
This was harsh ... very hard to take

powerfuldragon
10-11-2009, 07:16 PM
He didn't lose the game. Kyle Shanahan was making the calls.

cdollaz
10-11-2009, 07:17 PM
I'm sure in his press conference tomorrow Kubiak will still insist that we are a run-first team and should set up the pass by running.

nut
10-11-2009, 07:18 PM

They showed him looking at the chart before 3rd & 4th down

Yankee_In_TX
I'm sure in his press conference tomorrow Kubiak will still insist that we are a run-first team and should set up the pass by running.

He is most likely pissed at our second half performance for not running enough.

Carr Bombed

Do you honeslty think Shanahan is making the calls in those situations? He's not......even when Kubiak was allowed to make calls in Denver, Shanahan had veto power and often used it. I highly doubt Kubiak is putting his coaching career in the hands of Shanahan in situations like that.

DerekLee1
10-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Baloney. That 3rd and 1 call was the right call. Dreessen was WIDE OPEN. Schaub sailed it about 6 inches too high. If he'd come down with it, you'd all be calling Shanahan a genius.

bah007
10-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Why wouldn't you run it twice on 3rd & 4th down when you are that close.

Why would we run it? We obviously aren't tough enough to punch it in from there.

If Schaub sets his feet on 3rd down we have an easy TD. That was a GREAT call on 3rd down. Poor execution is why it didn't work.

Corrosion
Two games - 6 feet

Is what seperates this team from a winning record

Winning in the trenches means winning football games - its that simple.

This team cant get a yard when they have to ....

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Can we please end the assumption that Chris Brown is a good short yardage back? And how about getting some Tarzans on the interior of the offensive line. Tired of these Janes getting shoved backwards.

jaayteetx
10-11-2009, 07:21 PM
well, hello, all damn game, except for maybe one or two instances, on short yardage plays we were stufffed, generated zero push, this is on whoever was making these calls, and schaub for missing some wide open recievers

awtysst
I would have gone with the QB sneak on the 4th down play. I think the problem with the o line in that situation is that we cannot stop the penetration. By going with a sneak, you limit the time the Dline can get into the backfield.

Hookem Horns
This loss is on Kubiak. He will say so himself tomorrow.

nut
Baloney. That 3rd and 1 call was the right call. Dreessen was WIDE OPEN. Schaub sailed it about 6 inches too high. If he'd come down with it, you'd all be calling Shanahan a genius.

Why take the chance? Schaub gets real nervous in tight situations.

dsorc
The 3rd down call was the right call. Arizona bit and Dreesen was wide open but Schaub overthrew it. The 4th down call was stupid. Our interior O-line sucks and we have not been able to get any room inside all game long. A run is ok but he needs to run outside not inside where we're getting constantly owned.

awtysst
well, hello, all damn game, except for maybe one or two instances, on short yardage plays we were stufffed, generated zero push, this is on whoever was making these calls, and schaub for missing some wide open recievers

Yep. Now, lets also remember that Arizona plays a 3-4 D. So, now we have struggled to run against the Jet 3-4 and the Cardinal 3-4.

Texans Pride
10-11-2009, 07:22 PM
I'm pretty sure Schaub's interception and overthrown pass in the endzone contributed to this loss as well.

GuerillaBlack
10-11-2009, 07:23 PM
All Schaub had to do was set his feet and it was a TD. Was really pissed on that one. Also, I'm really tired of this Chris Brown love. Enough of him at the goalline.

jaayteetx
10-11-2009, 07:24 PM
All Schaub had to do was set his feet and it was a TD. Was really pissed on that one. Also, I'm really tired of this Chris Brown love. Enough of him at the goalline.

it ain't chris brown, don't get me wrong, he ain't a world beater, but its our o line for failing to get a push at the line of scrimmage.

DerekLee1
10-11-2009, 07:24 PM
The 3rd down call was the right call. Arizona bit and Dreesen was wide open but Schaub overthrew it. The 4th down call was stupid. Our interior O-line sucks and we have not been able to get any room inside all game long. A run is ok but he needs to run outside not inside where we're getting constantly owned.

they should have run the bootleg to the left on 4th down. Everyone in that stadium thought it was going to Brown on 4th and 1. If you actually run it, you're putting the entire game on ONE OPTION. Run the bootleg and Schaub can pass it or try to run it for one yard. I don't like the run up the middle on 4th down. *sigh* more heartbreak.

cdollaz
10-11-2009, 07:25 PM
But it's Kubiak's offensive philosophy that drags the offense down. WE ARE NOT A RUNNING TEAM!!!!! Pass the f'n ball from the start of the game, not when we are down by 3 TDs.

m5kwatts
10-11-2009, 07:27 PM
But it's Kubiak's offensive philosophy that drags the offense down. WE ARE NOT A RUNNING TEAM!!!!! Pass the f'n ball from the start of the game, not when we are down by 3 TDs.

We threw the ball like 40 something times, we neglected the run in fact. We just failed when we needed to make a play today.

TexansBlood
Shaub lost this game for us. First half it was 4th and 1 n he threw it deep to AJ... 3rd and 1 with 1 min left he threw and off balanced pass with no pressure around him way to high for an open receiver.....

jaayteetx

Agreed!!!!

jaayteetx
10-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Shaub lost this game for us. First half it was 4th and 1 n he threw it deep to AJ... 3rd and 1 he threw and off balanced pass with no pressure around him way to high for an open receiver.....

Him and the interior linemen.

m5kwatts
Shaub lost this game for us. First half it was 4th and 1 n he threw it deep to AJ... 3rd and 1 he threw and off balanced pass with no pressure around him way to high for an open receiver.....

Schaub was also the reason we were in the d@mn game. Find another scapegoat armchair quarterback.

DerekLee1
I'm pretty sure Schaub's interception and overthrown pass in the endzone contributed to this loss as well.

THREE overthrown passes in the end zone.

DerekLee1
10-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Schaub was also the reason we were in the d@mn game. Find another scapegoat armchair quarterback.

I have a hard time scapegoating anyone. Even with the loss, this team showed me that they at LEAST have heart. And the defense - for one half anyway - showed me that they can play.

cdollaz
We threw the ball like 40 something times, we neglected the run in fact. We just failed when we needed to make a play today.

Yeah, and most of them were in the second half. We didn't neglect the run, we were down by so many points, we had no choice but to throw it just about every time. How about coming out firing instead of waiting until the second half.

nut
Did anybody see how close we were after the 4th down carry? Why don't we do it twice? Their D-line ain't nuthin'. Heck, we could have used Vonta, Steve, Ryan or Chris for that.

jaayteetx
10-11-2009, 07:30 PM

Sorry, I support Schaub 95% of the time and think he is one hellva qb but he missed several wide open recievers today.

buddyboy
10-11-2009, 07:30 PM

I have never seen a single ounce of this so-called Chris Brown love. What I HAVE seen are people laughing at him when he almost cries because of his fumble.

TexansBlood
10-11-2009, 07:31 PM

Yup, reason we actually had a game to play in the 2nd half, what about the 1st half and his late and over thrown passes?????????????

New_Texans
10-11-2009, 07:31 PM
I would have done a play action...not the obvious when Meyers sucked ass all game. Chris Brown isnt a power back

DerekLee1
10-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Sorry, I support Schaub 95% of the time and think he is one hellva qb but he missed several wide open recievers today.

I'll give Shcaub the benefit of the doubt because of his body of work. But the last two games he's really seemed off. Makes you wonder if there's some injury he's keeping under wraps?

Scooter
why dont we sub for chris myers in short yardage situations? there HAS to be someone beefier that we could work into the rotation in those situations who can hold the point of attack. heck work some snaps with okam during the week for when we need a goalline or half yard stand.

Goatcheese
A lot of things lost this game:

Horrible first half defense (-21 points)
Horrible first half offense
Blocked field goal (-3 points)
Went for it on fourth down in field goal range (-3 points)
Schaub INT (-7 points)
Schaub overthrow on a brilliant 3rd and goal play call(-7 points)

If we get those two field goals then we can kick a field goal on 4th and 1 for the win.
If Schaub doesn't throw the pick six we can kick a field goal for the win.
If the defense showed up in the first half we could have easily won.

Way too many things went wrong in this game to say that Kubiak's play calls on the goal line were the reason we lost.

Hagar
10-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Sorry but Kubes didn't throw the pick six a few minutes ealier.

There's plenty of blame to go around on this one.

GuerillaBlack
I have never seen a single ounce of this so-called Chris Brown love. What I HAVE seen are people laughing at him when he almost cries because of his fumble.

Chris Brown love by the coaching staff...

TexansBlood
I have a hard time scapegoating anyone. Even with the loss, this team showed me that they at LEAST have heart. And the defense - for one half anyway - showed me that they can play.

Yes we play with a heart 50% of the games... Expect another 8-8 season!

buddyboy
Did anybody see how close we were after the 4th down carry? Why don't we do it twice? Their D-line ain't nuthin'. Heck, we could have used Vonta, Steve, Ryan or Chris for that.

"Their D-line ain't nuthin'"? They DID stop us twice, each time needing just a single yard. The O-line can't generate the push inside. The bootleg was a perfect play call, but poor execution.

New_Texans
10-11-2009, 07:34 PM
A lot of things lost this game:

Horrible first half defense (-21 points)
Horrible first half offense
Blocked field goal (-3 points)
Went for it on fourth down in field goal range (-3 points)
Schaub INT (-7 points)
Schaub overthrow on a brilliant 3rd and goal play call(-7 points)

If we get those two field goals then we can kick a field goal on 4th and 1 for the win.
If Schaub doesn't throw the pick six we can kick a field goal for the win.
If the offense showed up in the first half we could have easily won.

Way too many things went wrong in this game to say that Kubiak's play calls on the goal line were the reason we lost.

Def held Ari to 7 points most of the 1st half 14 came in 3 mins. Offense did nothing in the first half to put pressure on the cards. i dont think the cards can handle pressure.

The Schaub playaction pass was a tough throw that he should have made easier on himself.

Carr Bombed
10-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Chris Brown love by the coaching staff...

Chris Brown is the best option on this team if we're going to try to pound it up the middle.......calling on him to do it isn't the problem. The problem is making the decision to pound it up the middle with our Oline.

powerfuldragon
10-11-2009, 07:36 PM

i agree with this.

eriadoc
10-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Why wouldn't you run it twice on 3rd & 4th down when you are that close.

Because this team sucks at running the ball, especially when it matters, and I think they actually recognize that.

Bingo. Players make plays to win games. Y'all can ***** about the coach I guess, but Schaub missed the game winner for our team and threw the game winner for their team.

And how about getting some Tarzans on the interior of the offensive line. Tired of these Janes getting shoved backwards.

/end thread.

Lucky
10-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Y'all can ***** about the coach I guess, but Schaub missed the game winner for our team and threw the game winner for their team.

Schaub was hand-picked and coached by Coach Teflon.

The thread lives on...

LonerATO
10-11-2009, 07:41 PM
The game was lost when the ran Slaton on 2nd I believe and then Schaub threw the INT. I still dont understand why they threw it when the Cards gave everything underneath to the Texans on the drive.

New_Texans
10-11-2009, 07:43 PM
The game was lost when the ran Slaton on 2nd I believe and then Schaub threw the INT. I still dont understand why they threw it when the Cards gave everything underneath to the Texans on the drive.

Cause it was 3rd and 8...either way we lost the game on that goal line play. At that moment, we lost the game. 2 times 2 times Brown's goalline play is ****ing retarded the Jax game and this one he doesnt come through...hes not a big back!

Blake
We sling the ball all over the field for 21 points and hundreds of passing yards and decide that when the game is on the line, we should run it 3 times, and pass it once. Yes I consider a shovel pass a run.

Has Kubiak and co heard of 300 pound all pro Darnell Dockett, 305 pound Bryan Robinson, 340 pound Alan Branch and 330 pound Gabe Watson?

eriadoc
Schaub was hand-picked and coached by Coach Teflon.

The thread lives on...

And if that were the argument in the original post, the discussion would be much different right now. Instead, this thread is about Kubiak's playcalling.

You can say that Kubiak deserves the blame for selecting Schaub, and I buy that. You can just simply point out that the buck stops with Kubiak, so the rest is irrelevant. Here's the thing, though - at the end of the season, when Kubiak gets fired, the next coach is going to inherit an offensive line that can't win in the trenches, a QB that can't get over the hump, a RB that's been miscast, and a defense full of marginal players.

For this game, today, the players had a chance to win and they didn't. The coaches put them in position to win down the stretch, and the players couldn't pull it off. That's what the new coach will get as well.

LonerATO
10-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Cause it was 3rd and 8...either way we lost the game on that goal line play. At that moment, we lost the game. 2 times 2 times Brown's goalline play is ****ing retarded the Jax game and this one he doesnt come through...hes not a big back!

Wait that should have read as. I dont know why they ran the ball on 2nd down, when they could have thrown it on 2nd down.

disaacks3
10-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Two separate issues in my mind:

Why not just try and punch it in twice?

Failing that, why didn't Schaub follow the Leach lead on the bootleg and run it in? The pass was the low % play either way.

bckey
10-11-2009, 07:48 PM

You are the complete definition of HOMER. You can't look at this team objectively.

JCTexan
10-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Two things lost us this game today. Schaub's pick 6, and the fact that we can't run the ball for one yard. One yard... isn't that why Chris Brown is even on this team? Him not being able to run for one yard has cost the Texans 2 games already. Maybe it's time to take a look at Foster.

Lucky
10-11-2009, 07:50 PM
For this game, today, the players had a chance to win and they didn't. The coaches put them in position to win down the stretch, and the players couldn't pull it off. That's what the new coach will get as well.
We don't know who will stay and who will go. We haven't a clue as to what the next Texans team will look like.

The coaches made a great call on 3rd down. And a lousy call on 4th down. They made some good calls in the game. And some bad ones. They have this team playing good about half the time. Which is good for about a .500 record. Which isn't good enough.

Blake
10-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Two things lost us this game today. Schaub's pick 6, and the fact that we can't run the ball for one yard. One yard... isn't that why Chris Brown is even on this team? Him not being able to run for one yard has cost the Texans 2 games already. Maybe it's time to take a look at Foster.

You cant run the ball 1 yard when your offensive line is stopping you in the backfield.

buddyboy
10-11-2009, 07:52 PM
You are the complete definition of HOMER. You can't look at this team objectively.

And right now you are blinded by anger by this loss. We obviously can't run it up the middle, that bootleg completely fooled the Arizona defense and had Dreesen WIDE OPEN in the back of the endzone. Bad play calling? Give me a play call that gets a receiver wide open in the endzone and I'll take it EVERY TIME.

Now, if the players don't execute that play correctly? That's not on the coaching. That play call was correct. If anything, I think they should have run another pass play instead of the 4th and 1 run. Course, if that had failed, I probably would have wanted them to have run it instead.

HTown2ATX
10-11-2009, 07:52 PM
So.....if C. Brown can't get it done as a power back, Slaton is still in a funk and the O-line is gettung no push and we STILL try to run it.....is there anyone who can tell baby Shanny to PLEASE just let Vonta pound the rock?

No really?

For real!

dalemurphy
10-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Why would we run it? We obviously aren't tough enough to punch it in from there.

If Schaub sets his feet on 3rd down we have an easy TD. That was a GREAT call on 3rd down. Poor execution is why it didn't work.

The problem isn't that we ran it, the problem is that the playcalling lost all imagination. The 2 or 3 good runs we had were unique runs. For instance the power sweep to slaton and also the misdirection pitch. Ramming the ball behind the fullback behind our RG outside the one yard line is a losing call when they have a great DT and we are a zone team that doesn't excel at getting a push.

The more obvious criticism of Kubiak was the calling of a timeout on 1st and goal with 1:27 left in the game. That was really, really stupid!!!

JCTexan
10-11-2009, 07:56 PM
You cant run the ball 1 yard when your offensive line is stopping you in the backfield.

I know. I just expect the Texans to be able to run the ball for one yard. Not being able to do that has cost them two games already. Get better O-linemen, a better RB... They have to do something to get this running game going. The running game hasn't showed up yet this season.

hobie
10-11-2009, 08:41 PM
The pass attempt was a good call, but a QB sneak from 1 yard out 2x would have been a better option... No ifs ands or buts about it! shortest distance between A-B is straight ahead!

ATXtexanfan
10-11-2009, 08:59 PM
kubiak lost that game by waiting till halftime to coach

4Texans
10-11-2009, 09:04 PM

Yep, and that wasn't the only pass that Schaub sailed over a receiver today.

4Texans
10-11-2009, 09:06 PM
The pass attempt was a good call, but a QB sneak from 1 yard out 2x would have been a better option... No ifs ands or buts about it! shortest distance between A-B is straight ahead!

Yeah, then Schaub would have ended up on the 3 yd line with Myers.

Corrosion
10-11-2009, 10:26 PM

it ain't chris brown, don't get me wrong, he ain't a world beater, but its our o line for failing to get a push at the line of scrimmage.

What he said ^^

The OL gets NO push at all. Cant blame the back when there are defenders on him before he gets to the LOS.

Jackie Chiles
10-11-2009, 10:40 PM
The more obvious criticism of Kubiak was the calling of a timeout on 1st and goal with 1:27 left in the game. That was really, really stupid!!!

WTF kind of call was that, seriously. If you are going to call a TO to chit chat about playcalling at least run the clock for a while. I was stunned at that call but still figured we were going to score so I haven't given it a second thought till I read this.

imatexan
10-12-2009, 12:06 AM
This loss is on:

-The ENTIRE team in the first half
-Chris Brown
-Gary Kubiak

Carr Bombed
10-12-2009, 12:09 AM
This loss is on:

-The ENTIRE team in the first half
-Chris Brown
-Gary Kubiak

What no offensive line for all of their short yardage failures? Frankly I don't understand why everybody is placing all the blame on Brown....the Oline got blown the hell up on that play. you can't run through a lineman's back. The Oline needs to put their defenders in the endzone if the want to get into the endzone.

mariowillshine15
10-12-2009, 12:53 AM
What no offensive line for all of their short yardage failures? Frankly I don't understand why everybody is placing all the blame on Brown....the Oline got blown the hell up on that play. you can't run through a lineman's back. The Oline needs to put their defenders in the endzone if the want to get into the endzone.

The dude should of dived or something instead of running directly into a brick wall. Yea terrible blocking but jeez make an all-out effort to get in there.

DexmanC
10-12-2009, 01:54 AM
The dude should of dived or something instead of running directly into a brick wall. Yea terrible blocking but jeez make an all-out effort to get in there.

You don't see the assininity of that phrase? How good is ANY runningback
with no blocking? Don't say Barry Sanders, 'cause he was ROUTINELY pulled
from goaline attempts.

The O-line is 2 yards in the backfield before the ball is snapped. How is
he gonna get in?

imatexan
10-12-2009, 02:19 AM
You don't see the assininity of that phrase? How good is ANY runningback
with no blocking? Don't say Barry Sanders, 'cause he was ROUTINELY pulled
from goaline attempts.

The O-line is 2 yards in the backfield before the ball is snapped. How is
he gonna get in?

Good running backs find a way to get in the endzone one yard away, with two chances.