PDA

View Full Version : Match up no one is talking about

Goldensilence
10-09-2009, 03:26 PM
I see the obvious postings of Fitz vs AJ. A possible Warner/Schaub shoot out. Each WR corps against the opponents secondary.

Two guys I've barely seen mentioned are Hightower and Wells. I'm just not convinced that the Raiders game was a get well game for the Texans like some fans have seemed to convince themselves. What scares me more is some fans saying we're playing the same team.

Yes we managed to shut down McFadden and Bush, but we were able to pretty much play the game with 8 in the box because no one is scared of Jamarcus Russell beating them.

This Sunday is a totally different team obviously. We won't be able to get away with putting 8 in the box. If we HAVE to put 8 in the box during the game we're in BIG BIG trouble. Pollard's game in the pat has been predicated on playing more in the box then coverage, which isn't necessarily a bad thing when you have a secondary that can pick it up. We don't have that luxury.

What we really have to hope isn't just that the front 4 are able to apply pressure to Warner, but that the front seven can contain the run. If not and we have to drop Pollard down in the box and the front 4 isn't getting pressure on Warner. That's a green light for Fitz and Co., hopefully if that's the case our offense is putting up points as well.

I really want to be confident about this game, but despite what other people might think the matchups in this game make me nervous. The other guy on the Cards that makes me nervous is Dockett getting loose on the interior of the OL. It's a week after a bye as well and they're playing to get back to .500. :/

Air Canada
10-09-2009, 04:09 PM
I see the obvious postings of Fitz vs AJ. A possible Warner/Schaub shoot out. Each WR corps against the opponents secondary.

Two guys I've barely seen mentioned are Hightower and Wells. I'm just not convinced that the Raiders game was a get well game for the Texans like some fans have seemed to convince themselves. What scares me more is some fans saying we're playing the same team.

Yes we managed to shut down McFadden and Bush, but we were able to pretty much play the game with 8 in the box because no one is scared of Jamarcus Russell beating them.

This Sunday is a totally different team obviously. We won't be able to get away with putting 8 in the box. If we HAVE to put 8 in the box during the game we're in BIG BIG trouble. Pollard's game in the pat has been predicated on playing more in the box then coverage, which isn't necessarily a bad thing when you have a secondary that can pick it up. We don't have that luxury.

What we really have to hope isn't just that the front 4 are able to apply pressure to Warner, but that the front seven can contain the run. If not and we have to drop Pollard down in the box and the front 4 isn't getting pressure on Warner. That's a green light for Fitz and Co., hopefully if that's the case our offense is putting up points as well.

I really want to be confident about this game, but despite what other people might think the matchups in this game make me nervous. The other guy on the Cards that makes me nervous is Dockett getting loose on the interior of the OL. It's a week after a bye as well and they're playing to get back to .500. :/

I disagree somewhat, I've mentioned that match-up and think we need to be more worried about getting to Warner then Hightower or Wells who are struggling and fumbling, they have a worst run game than us, and they don't really run much...pass heavy offense of course. If anything he may get some catches in the passing game. I've haven't heard that they are the same as the Raiders from anyone...that's ridiculous..:choke:. I have heard that they are the same team as us which is true in a lot of ways..

Hervoyel
10-09-2009, 04:32 PM
I think we do this again. The Cards running game doesn't scare me and I think you put 8 in the box just like you did against the Raiders, keep their running game in check and try to kill Kurt Warner if you can. Accept that they're going to do some damage through the air but make them do everything through the air. Make them one dimensional and hope you can force them to make some mistakes.

And hope that your offense shows up to offset whatever damage they do.

Runner
10-09-2009, 04:51 PM
I think we do this again. The Cards running game doesn't scare me and I think you put 8 in the box just like you did against the Raiders, keep their running game in check and try to kill Kurt Warner if you can. Accept that they're going to do some damage through the air but make them do everything through the air. Make them one dimensional and hope you can force them to make some mistakes.

And hope that your offense shows up to offset whatever damage they do.

Challenge Warner, Fitzgerald, Boldin, Hightower, et al to beat you through the air? That sounds very risky to me; it plays to their strength.

I think it will be a shootout no matter what the defense tries though.

Ryan
10-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Beanie fumbles and hightower is only threatening in the passing game. That's the last thing from the cardinals im worried about is their running game.

m5kwatts
10-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Here's a matchup no one is talking about... and for good reason LOL

Look at the picture in this Madden simulation of the game sunday

http://espn.go.com/videogames/simulation/nfl2010?id=4540979

76Texan
10-09-2009, 05:49 PM

How are we gonna get the two Ints without him pressuring Warner in the middle? :choke:

Texan_Bill
10-09-2009, 05:51 PM

http://a.espncdn.com/i/videogames/media/nflsims/2010/4540979.jpg

BOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo!!

76Texan
10-09-2009, 05:51 PM
That brings us to the point; whether our interior D-linemen can keep up their good work from the last game. I think that will be the key to the game.

m5kwatts
10-09-2009, 05:55 PM
That brings us to the point; whether our interior D-linemen can keep up their good work from the last game. I think that will be the key to the game.

I think taking advantage of their stiff tackles is just as vital as interior pressure... I'm gonna predict Barwin gets his first sack this weekend.. Mario goes for 2+...

davemundy
10-09-2009, 06:32 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/i/videogames/media/nflsims/2010/4540979.jpg

BOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo!!

Hehehe, I kind of like that angle. Too bad I'll never play an EA Sports game again after what they did last year (quit making games for PC). I was sooooo hoping they'd give me a new NFL Head Coach, I love the snot out of that game now that I've learned how to adjust the sliders and cut down on the interceptions.

b0ng
10-09-2009, 07:14 PM

I look at that picture and there is a gigantic "99 Johnson" in the picture with Warner looking to throw the ball.

fail.

E: Also, same exact score as Jags game.

disaacks3
10-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Challenge Warner, Fitzgerald, Boldin, Hightower, et al to beat you through the air? That sounds very risky to me; it plays to their strength.

I think it will be a shootout no matter what the defense tries though.

I agree, but I don't see that we have much of a choice in the matter. I figure we either win this one or get blown out, I really don't expect us to lose a "close" one on the road in AZ. Pin the ears back and let's play Kill Kurt.

76Texan
10-09-2009, 08:38 PM
I think taking advantage of their stiff tackles is just as vital as interior pressure... I'm gonna predict Barwin gets his first sack this weekend.. Mario goes for 2+...

That part is a given.
With pressure up the middle, it will be easier for our DEs and LBs to get a sack and to give Warner the run-around!

Vinny
10-09-2009, 08:58 PM

surging Texans? Beating the Raiders qualifies as a surge? Too bad the Cardinals can't use the Raiders offensive line. That is the only line I've ever seen get dominated by our group. I was watching an earlier Raider game and said to myself that those guys couldn't block email. My opinion didn't change last week either...go figure. :)

Andrew6
10-09-2009, 09:02 PM
I see this as a win. Houston will take momentum and deliver Arizona a blow that will leave them thinking about draft picks next year.

JMacaroni
10-10-2009, 02:09 AM
I don't care what the defensive stats are at this point, our defense has never played with this much energy except for maybe 2002. They're gradually getting better and look MUCH better than the last few years. It'll come around and I actually look forward to watching the D rather than the O now. Warner and Schaub are two of the best at recognizing the blitz so it should be interesting to see how the D's attack. Our QB is just a little more "Fragile: This Side Up".

RagingBull
10-10-2009, 10:10 PM
Well, without Travis Johnson, as pictured, we should have a little better chance to win.