PDA

View Full Version : Carr ready as Manning misses another practice

Wolf
10-08-2009, 08:17 PM
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP)—With 79 career starts, David Carr(notes) knows how much Eli Manning(notes) wants to be on the field calling the plays when the New York Giants meet the Oakland Raiders on Sunday.

Manning’s teammates say he’s a competitor who will play if he’s able. Carr wants to be out there just as much, and his chances of playing this weekend seemingly improved when Manning missed his second straight practice on Thursday with an injured right heel.

After practice, coach Tom Coughlin declined to predict whether Manning would be able to start his 83rd straight game, saying only that that inflammation in Manning’s heel was feeling better.

A decision on whether Manning plays may not be made until Sunday.

The No. 1 overall draft pick in 2002, Carr isn’t worried. He told himself that he was going to be the starter after Manning was hurt last Sunday in a win over Kansas City, and the worst that can happen is he doesn’t.

“You have to prepare yourself one way or you are going to be riding a rollercoaster all week,” said Carr, who last started a game in 2007 for the Carolina Panthers. He was 10 for 22 for 95 yards passing and two interceptions in a loss to New Orleans.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-giants-manning&prov=ap&type=lgns

Showtime100
10-08-2009, 08:22 PM
I'll probably get flack for this, but I wish him well.

m5kwatts
10-08-2009, 08:26 PM
I'll probably get flack for this, but I wish him well.

As a human being I wish him well too. As a football fan I think it'll be funny in a dog trying to play piano kinda way. If he starts for the Giants book it as a loss.

Wolf
10-08-2009, 08:27 PM
not sure, Giants got defense... Raiders well.. are the Raiders

Thorn
10-08-2009, 08:32 PM
The Giants defense and what their offense can do under Carr is enough to beat the Raiders.

Texans_Chick
10-08-2009, 08:33 PM
What is Carr ready to do?

The Texans beat the Raiders the last time he was "quarterbacking" for the team in 2006 but he was of little help.

Carr got sacked 5 times and fumbled 3 times. Rumors were that he got a concussion. He threw no passes in the second half because the coaching staff just shut his ass down.

He was 7 for 14 gaining 32 yards. He got sacked so much that he actually had NEGATIVE passing yards for that game. I remember this game well because it is really hard to get negative passing yards and still win a game. Fortunately I was out of town and had Keith do the guest post that day because it is hard to write about wins like that.

The Raiders defense has to hope for Carr. On the road, it is their only chance. I do not think that Raiders defense is that bad--I just think they have no chance at all with that offense.

ReliantTexan
10-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Maybe he'll throw for positive yardage this time.:woot2

Hookem Horns
10-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Ahhh Geez. At least they are playing the Raiders so regardless it should be a cake walk. However I seriously doubt Manning will miss the game. If he does it's because they are playing the Raiders which is practically a bye week.

ReliantTexan
10-08-2009, 08:40 PM
What is Carr ready to do?

The Texans beat the Raiders the last time he was "quarterbacking" for the team in 2006 but he was of little help.

Carr got sacked 5 times and fumbled 3 times. Rumors were that he got a concussion. He threw no passes in the second half because the coaching staff just shut his ass down.

He was 7 for 14 gaining 32 yards. He got sacked so much that he actually had NEGATIVE passing yards for that game. I remember this game well because it is really hard to get negative passing yards and still win a game. Fortunately I was out of town and had Keith do the guest post that day because it is hard to write about wins like that.

The Raiders defense has to hope for Carr. On the road, it is their only chance. I do not think that Raiders defense is that bad--I just think they have no chance at all with that offense.Yeah, I think it was like -6 net total for him, or something like that. One of the worst games I've ever seen.

mexican_texan
10-08-2009, 08:50 PM
One of the few times Carr will be the better QB on the field. Well...no, maybe against the Bucs.

SheTexan
10-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Ahhh Geez. At least they are playing the Raiders so regardless it should be a cake walk. However I seriously doubt Manning will miss the game. If he does it's because they are playing the Raiders which is practically a bye week.

Hate to say this, BUT, don't EVER underestimate the underdog!!! Not a smart thing to do, even with DC qbing.

Hookem Horns
10-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Hate to say this, BUT, don't EVER underestimate the underdog!!! Not a smart thing to do, even with DC qbing.

That's true and don't we know that being Oilers fans all those years.

Honoring Earl 34
10-08-2009, 08:59 PM

That's a good point but if this game is in New Jersey , that's killer going from the west to the east after a road game . Then again being tired may help Jamarcus .

kastofsna
10-08-2009, 09:03 PM
One of the few times Carr will be the better QB on the field. Well...no, maybe against the Bucs.

Josh Johnson > Jamarcus Russell

brakos82
10-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Josh Johnson > Jamarcus Russell

My grandmother > Jamarcus Russell

Wolf
10-08-2009, 09:16 PM
My grandmother > Jamarcus Russell

electric football
http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/draft_lens2062666module10567452photo_1216667472DSC 00065.JPG> Jamarcus Russell

kastofsna
10-08-2009, 09:51 PM
the Raiders could've had Calvin Johnson or Adrian Peterson. easily.

SAMURAITEXAN
10-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Carr better not hold the ball too long.

How about Carr >< Jamarcus Russell? Both got strong arm. Other than that, don't ask.

mexican_texan
10-08-2009, 11:08 PM
the Raiders could've had Calvin Johnson or Adrian Peterson. easily.
They're both too slow and can't throw the ball anywhere near 70 yards.

SheTexan
10-10-2009, 04:56 PM
That's true and don't we know that being Oilers fans all those years.

Yep, we sure do. I think the TEXANS have done their fair share of underestimating teams also! Browns, Bengals, Raiders (last year) We're not consistently a good team like the Giants, BUT, we seem to bow down to bad teams.

Sal Rosenberg
10-10-2009, 04:58 PM
They're both too slow and can't throw the ball anywhere near 70 yards.

I completely forgot about that!

texanmojo
10-10-2009, 05:07 PM
So when is Mr. Mittens going to throw the Giants OLine under the bus???

Frankly...he's a professional clip board holder. Quit football and stick to GQ. I hope the Raiders kick his ass if he plays...

Hervoyel
10-10-2009, 06:47 PM
You know, this is kind of sick on my part and I apologize for it in advance but I'd really like to see him just tear it up. I think it would be the coolest thing in the world if the following scenario played itself out.

Carr starts in place of Manning.
Carr goes, oh I dunno lets say 17 of 23 for 280 yards and three TD's. No interceptions.

Then somebody hard up for a QB gives the Giants a pick for Carr.

Reality returns and Carr finds himself in over his head for the second time in his NFL career. Hilarity ensues. Bonus points if the team that gives up a first day pick for him is the Raiders.

Lucky
10-10-2009, 06:59 PM
It could happen...if Charley Casserly ever gets another GM gig.

mattieuk
10-10-2009, 08:29 PM
You know, this is kind of sick on my part and I apologize for it in advance but I'd really like to see him just tear it up. I think it would be the coolest thing in the world if the following scenario played itself out.

Carr starts in place of Manning.
Carr goes, oh I dunno lets say 17 of 23 for 280 yards and three TD's. No interceptions.

Reality returns and Carr finds himself in over his head for the second time in his NFL career. Hilarity ensues. Bonus points if the team that gives up a first day pick for him is the Raiders.

Oh man, I don't wish Carr any ill-will, but that would be freaking hilarious!

It'd be fun to see him starting though...see what he does, he's been okay when closing out games etc at the Giants.

Second Honeymoon
10-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Let the David Carr Era begin!!

Oh man, the NY media is going to have a field day with Carr as a starter.

This could get really really ugly.

BigBull17
10-10-2009, 10:26 PM

Carr is bad, but Russel is pretty bad too. Could be the worst 1st overall pick vs 1st overall pick game in the history of football.

SteveSlaton20
10-10-2009, 11:30 PM

Playing against Nnamdi Asomugha, Chris Johnson, and Michael Huff isn't a cake walk. But their defense should be enough to win the game.

Andrew6
10-11-2009, 02:47 AM
If he actually gets to play I hope he does well and wish him the best of luck.

Goldensilence
10-11-2009, 03:03 AM
Snap. 1,2,3 and hand off.

Snap 1,2,3 and dump off pass.

Yeah I think even Carr can manage that.

texanmojo
10-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Snap. 1,2,3 and hand off.

Snap 1,2,3 and dump off pass.

Yeah I think even Carr can manage that.

You forgot...

Snap 1, 2, 3...and sacked!

Hookem Horns
10-11-2009, 01:20 PM
With the Giants up by 21 points, David Carr is now in late in the 1st half. His first play was a completed pass believe it or not.

mattieuk
10-11-2009, 01:23 PM
2/2 at the moment. and picked up 4 yards on the floor.

But importantly, there is no mittens.