PDA

View Full Version : Who is better? Andre Johnson vs. Larry Fitzgerald

Tailgate
10-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Lots of good stuff on this over at ESPN and is main story on the cover of the NFL section.

NFL Live hashes it out:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4541440

AFC South blogger Paul Kuharsky's case for AJ:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=kuharsky_paul&page=hotread4/bestreceiver

NFC West blogger Mike Sando's case for Fitz:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=sando_mike&page=hotread4/bestreceiversando

Texecutioner
10-08-2009, 03:40 PM
What is this like the fifth time a thread like this has popped up?

Neither one is better. They are both great players. There is no wrong decision.

El Tejano
10-08-2009, 03:41 PM
C'mon Andre, do what you do and settle this score once and for all.

Tailgate
10-08-2009, 03:41 PM

HOWEVER, this is to funnel all the media coverage on the two from ESPN leading up to the game. Geese.

Double Barrel
10-08-2009, 03:49 PM
I say AJ. I doubt Fitz could make Mr. Mittens look as good or better than Andre did for so many years.

Thorn
10-08-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm glad we have at least one of them. :)

Carr Bombed
10-08-2009, 03:58 PM
The only knock against Andre Johnson is the lack of total TDs he's had over the years for a elite WR....

If he could actually put up double digit TDs, this wouldn't even be a debate......seriously though, we need to find a way to get AJ into the endzone more. He's only scored in one game this season.

DerekLee1
10-08-2009, 03:59 PM
I give the slight edge to AJ, but just by a hair. AJ never had a complementary receiver like Boldin to draw attention away until Kevin Walter showed up. Yet he was still consistently putting up stellar performances.

DerekLee1
10-08-2009, 04:02 PM

Part of this is due to Capers' and Kubiaks' insistence on forcing the run in the end zone. You've rarely seen WR's on this team score from the end zone in this offense. It's always TE's and RB's.

HOU-TEX
10-08-2009, 04:04 PM

This about sums it up for me too.

gtexan02
10-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Biggest knock on AJ in my opinion is that sometimes he just disappears and we've never seen what he's like in big games. Its more of an uknown than a knock I guesss. W'ell just have to wait until we play in the superbowl later this year to make our decision

Tailgate
10-08-2009, 04:11 PM
The only knock against Andre Johnson is the lack of total TDs he's had over the years for a elite WR....

If he could actually put up double digit TDs, this wouldn't even be a debate......seriously though, we need to find a way to get AJ into the endzone more. He's only scored in one game this season.

No doubt. The question for me then... is how many times has he truly been targeted in the end zone this year, and overall really. You would think that he would get more lobs in the corner of the end zone. Is that because he is more easy to cover down there than the ther WRs who get more of those balls? I just dont buy that. So then is it the playcalling?

Texecutioner
10-08-2009, 04:23 PM
HOWEVER, this is to funnel all the media coverage on the two from ESPN leading up to the game. Geese.

Well if you really want to have the discussion, they're both great at doing similar things. I don't think one is better than the other really at anything. In the end I think that Calvin Johnson will end up being better than both if they can ever get an O line that can protect Stafford and he ends up developing. As far as pure talent goes, he's the best I've ever seen even over Randy Moss. It's just a matter of if the rest of the parts get their stuff together. For years people said "if only AJ was on a team where a QB could get him the ball." Well he is finally on a team like that now and he's been tearing it up the last few seasons. Fitzgerald was tearing it up in the stat book even with the garbage QB's he had before Warner though, and has also had to lose some of his stats to Boldin. Boldin being there has helped him some, but also took away some of his stats, so it's been sort of like a double edged sword. Last season though the two of them finally had a real QB for the first time in both of their careers and that offense went nuts. Again though, there is no right or wrong answer. THey play in different offenses with different factors of advantages and disadvantages. I don't think numbers and stats will ever completely tell the story with AJ, Fitz, or Calvin.

ReliantTexan
10-08-2009, 05:59 PM
No doubt. The question for me then... is how many times has he truly been targeted in the end zone this year, and overall really. You would think that he would get more lobs in the corner of the end zone. Is that because he is more easy to cover down there than the ther WRs who get more of those balls? I just dont buy that. So then is it the playcalling?As long as were we're getting TDs(which we have been) it doesn't matter to me who's catching them. We saw what happened when Matt forced it to Aj in the endzone.

Goldensilence
10-08-2009, 06:02 PM
Love AJ, but I mean...Fitz just ate up teams last year in the playoffs. He pulled the team to the Superbowl, and a drive short of a championship. Again Love AJ but, I haven't seen him do anything like that.

That and if you've seen the intensity and work ethic Fitz has it's...just downright crazy.

b0ng
10-08-2009, 06:33 PM
I'll take the guy with the worlds most boring twitter page every day, and twice on Sundays.

e: Whats up H-town, whats good?

jppaul
10-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Vote for our boy:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/rank?versionId=1&listId=416#topOfList

davemundy
10-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Heyheyhey, let's not forget FanHuddle:
http://fanhuddle.com/houstontexans/2009/10/08/whos-the-best-fitzgerald-johnson-face-off-sunday/

TexansSeminole
10-08-2009, 08:00 PM

That's exactly how I see it. I think you could even add Reggie Wayne into that group as well. People overlook Wayne because of what Harrison has done, but there probably isn't a better route runner or a set of hands on a receiver than Reggie Wayne.

They are just different players. They have different strengths.

b0ng
10-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Heyheyhey, let's not forget FanHuddle:
http://fanhuddle.com/houstontexans/2009/10/08/whos-the-best-fitzgerald-johnson-face-off-sunday/

Welcome to the board Dave. Hope you enjoy your stay and that you put up articles that are better written than Richard Justice. So far, 1 for 1 that I've read.

davemundy
10-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Welcome to the board Dave. Hope you enjoy your stay and that you put up articles that are better written than Richard Justice. So far, 1 for 1 that I've read.

Thanks for the welcome ... well, I've probably been at this a little longer than Richard Justice. As I remember, I was covering sports when he was still pooping yellow. :)

Kulluminatii
10-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Andre Johnson and Fitz are NOTHING compared to the ALMIGHTY DARRIUS HEYWARD-BEY (when it comes to the 40)

HouSportsWriter
10-08-2009, 08:40 PM
raider fans are crazy!

it dont matter if he can run it thos tho if he can catch but seeing your qb
goodluck with that any ways he may be fast but i dont see him being a super star any time soon

Kulluminatii
10-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Guess sarcasm doesn't translate all too well on forums:shades:.

In all seriousness, he will never be as good as AJ, CJ, or Fitz. He definitely wasn't worth the spot he was drafted at, he would of easily went late first round early second round. We could of gotten Raji, Monroe, Maclin, Crabs, Harvin...so many good players to choose from...and we picked DHB. A lot of Raiders fans are ready to call him a bust, I'd give him two more years, but if we still have the QB we have now, he will be a definite bust. On another team with an actual QB, I believe he would have done well; but I doubt he will in Oakland.

Now to answer the question that I totally skipped over in my first post. I believe out of the two, Andre is the better receiver. Not by a long shot by any means, but I would still take him over Fitz any day. If this thread included Calvin, it would have been a much tougher choice. A few more years I can see him being the best in the league if Stafford matures into a solid franchise QB. IF he was on any other team who currently has a good franchise QB, Megatron would be the best...hands down.

wagonhed
10-08-2009, 09:30 PM
I think AJ is the best of the two, I think CJ has potential to be better than both of them mostly because of his 6'5 frame, and I think Steve Smith deserves a nod as #4.

Isn't AJ a lot faster than Fitz?

JDizzle
10-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Andre Johnson is the only correct answer. If you answered otherwise you are DEAD to me.

mussop
10-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Well if you really want to have the discussion, they're both great at doing similar things. I don't think one is better than the other really at anything. In the end I think that Calvin Johnson will end up being better than both if they can ever get an O line that can protect Stafford and he ends up developing. As far as pure talent goes, he's the best I've ever seen even over Randy Moss. It's just a matter of if the rest of the parts get their stuff together. For years people said "if only AJ was on a team where a QB could get him the ball." Well he is finally on a team like that now and he's been tearing it up the last few seasons. Fitzgerald was tearing it up in the stat book even with the garbage QB's he had before Warner though, and has also had to lose some of his stats to Boldin. Boldin being there has helped him some, but also took away some of his stats, so it's been sort of like a double edged sword. Last season though the two of them finally had a real QB for the first time in both of their careers and that offense went nuts. Again though, there is no right or wrong answer. THey play in different offenses with different factors of advantages and disadvantages. I don't think numbers and stats will ever completely tell the story with AJ, Fitz, or Calvin.

:goodpost: I was telling everyone that would listen that C Johnson was going to be one of the best WR's to ever play the game back when he was in college. He was the best WR to ever enter the draft IMO. He had 0 flaws. None! As far as AJ and Fitz go, I wouldnt trade AJ for anyone. But If I didnt have a choice I would be ok with trading him for Fitz.

HouSportsWriter
10-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Guess sarcasm doesn't translate all too well on forums:shades:.

In all seriousness, he will never be as good as AJ, CJ, or Fitz. He definitely wasn't worth the spot he was drafted at, he would of easily went late first round early second round. We could of gotten Raji, Monroe, Maclin, Crabs, Harvin...so many good players to choose from...and we picked DHB. A lot of Raiders fans are ready to call him a bust, I'd give him two more years, but if we still have the QB we have now, he will be a definite bust. On another team with an actual QB, I believe he would have done well; but I doubt he will in Oakland.

Now to answer the question that I totally skipped over in my first post. I believe out of the two, Andre is the better receiver. Not by a long shot by any means, but I would still take him over Fitz any day. If this thread included Calvin, it would have been a much tougher choice. A few more years I can see him being the best in the league if Stafford matures into a solid franchise QB. IF he was on any other team who currently has a good franchise QB, Megatron would be the best...hands down.

respect =]

Goatcheese
10-09-2009, 12:07 AM
On the field it's too close to call, so we will go to the tie breaker.

Exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biQRY9hdI78

Exhibit B: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDWY4suxuBY

Clearly the tie breaker goes to AJ. Now who wants a Hoagie?

Kulluminatii
10-09-2009, 01:07 AM
:spit:

I have never seen either of those commercials. If only Andre was as good at acting as he is at playing, its all good though, still a great commercial.

Air Canada
10-09-2009, 01:19 AM
I think AJ is the best of the two, I think CJ has potential to be better than both of them mostly because of his 6'5 frame, and I think Steve Smith deserves a nod as #4.

Isn't AJ a lot faster than Fitz?

Yeah, faster and more explosive after the catch or coming out the break...He is better IMO

Blake
10-09-2009, 10:35 AM
Andre says he is better. But what did you expect him to say? That he is not? lol.

http://www.chron.com/common/special/07/templates/listpop.html?mcVideo=44151238001

Goldensilence
10-09-2009, 11:44 AM
A motivated Randy Moss might be better then both of them.

infantrycak
10-09-2009, 11:57 AM
A motivated Randy Moss might be better then both of them.

Motivated to run a single route? Randy is great at the post but either AJ or Larry beats him as a complete player easily.

DexmanC
10-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Michael Irvin had the best take on Randy Moss.

"Hey, Randy. You wanna get the ball more? RUNYA ROUTES!! (while
moving his arms in a running motion)"

infantrycak
10-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Michael Irvin had the best take on Randy Moss.

"Hey, Randy. You wanna get the ball more? RUNYA ROUTES!! (while
moving his arms in a running motion)"

People in Houston love to hate on Michael but the boy loved football and played every down like it was the super bowl. Something that decidedly cannot be said about Randy.

Dread-Head
10-09-2009, 12:44 PM
AJ by leaps and bounds. Fitz has a top quality receiver to draw some of the attention away from him. AJ is damned near solo out there and STILL has better stats against MUCH better opponents. To quote Belicheat..."This aint the NFC."

Dread-Head
10-09-2009, 12:45 PM
People in Houston love to hate on Michael but the boy loved football and played every down like it was the super bowl. Something that decidedly cannot be said about Randy.

Randy Moss didn't need to shove the other guy out of the path of the ball to make a catch either...

Let's see Randy Moss is a known pothead...Michael Irvin got busted with a rock of crack the size of a baseball. Yeah. Tough call.

Mr teX
10-09-2009, 12:57 PM

& even motivated about half the time, randy will still go down as the 2nd greatest WR ever....that's absolutely scary.

HOU-TEX
10-09-2009, 03:07 PM
I think Fitz has better hands than AJ. AJ's bigger and faster.

:hmmm: Ah screw it, I'd take either one in a heartbeat.

Air Canada
10-10-2009, 05:34 AM
Yeah, here's my reasoning...I'll quote what I posted in a similar thread on the Cardinals forum...:thisbig:...this forum...

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/andre-johnson-videosays-hes-better-than-fitzgerald-141508.html

Yeah... TEXANS FAN HERE!!!

It's clear u haven't really seen much or enough of AJ, like Larry he is a GREAT WIDE-OUT! Receivers like him just don't come along. Fitz stepped up last yr. and put up some great numbers in the playoffs, but that doesn't make him the better player.

Fitz is on a pass heavy offense that focuses on moving and scoring via the pass. Andre is on a run first offense, that likes to establish a ground game.

Dre has faced far more inconsistent QB play for his entire career...Carr, Sage BS, and now Schaub who is the best QB he has ever played with, but has never had close to a full season(he will this yr.)

I'll break it down....

They are both good route runners, Fitz wasn't always, but has really improved there.

Fitz is better at jump balls, the way he elevates in the air to get the ball, he is the best at it in the league. Andre can go get it with the best of them, but Fitz has an edge over him here. That's the only area Fitz beats Dre IMO.

Andre is stronger, more physical, a better blocker, and looks like a TE in the upper body with elite wide receiver speed, a big edge he has over Fitz. He is also more explosive than Fitz b4(coming off the line) and after the catch(YAC, breaking tackles.) The man is a burner and can simply blow up coverages by forcing defenses to commit...he'll blow right by u or he can stop on a dime at full speed. Speed kills, and with that size and physicality...HE'S A BEAST!

:dancer: